Sunnydays10

Sunnydays10

Hi their,

I was wondering if someone could help me please... I have recently been diagnosed with epilepsy and I have used tegretol for many years after I suffered a TIA stroke aged 37 when I lost my mum. I'm now 41 years old. I have been on various AD's over the years and had bad reactions. Venlafaxine was one of the worst. Also prozac. I then became addicted to zopiclone taking far to many a day to stop withdrawals. Basically I was self medicating. I have been off zopiclone for 4 years since mum passed as the hospital sedated me and therefore I was clean when I came out. Then I was prescribed dalmaine for sleep and continued with Tegretol to prevent sezuires.

This summer my sezuires returned. 2 weeks ago after a video EEG the neurologist put me on mirtazapine 30mg to sleep and took me off the dalmaine. Those pills are toxic just like zopiclone. I've lost my hearing in my left ear. I'm now back taking the dalmaine. My GP didn't even know what the mirtazapine were for. Has anyone else experienced loss of hearing with these meds... And will it improve now I have stopped taking them? Please help I'm going crazy I wasn't depressed before but very anxious as I do have 2 young children that I have to tend to. The whole summer trying different epilepsy meds that have made things worse now these. I promised myself I wouldnt touch another AD as they all played apart in self harming years ago. The tinnitus began after 1 week on mit. Does anyone have any information please?

Many thanks

A

1991 - 1995 diazepam off and on for years setralene.

1991 - 1995 Prozac put me in hospital and refered to psych ward.

1995 - 2000 Tamazepam 10mg but it would vary

2001 - 2003 venlefaxine sever self harm made me discontinue with meds

2003 - 2012 zopiclone prescribed by GP then began self medicating up to. 20 x 7.5mg per day

2012 -2012 admitted to hospital after TIA Stoke aged 37 after the death of my mum. IV Diazepam for 3 days so no withdrawal symptoms of zopiclone clean.

2012 placed on Tegretol to reduce sezuires Dalmaine for sleep 60mg at night only... Never self medicated again

2012 - 2015 Diagnosed with epilepsy still on 600mg of Tegretol and 60mg of Dalmaine also take 10mg of Meletonin

2015 Prescribed keprra discountined after 1 week of no sleep and continuing sezuires thought of suicide and hearing voices.

2015 Mitrazapine starting dosage 30mg stayed on for 3 weeks then came off as lost my hearing I left ear. This was prescribed after a 24 hr EEG.

2015 Tranxillium 20mg to take as needed. Discontinued after 1 week as could not swallow.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Sunnydays and welcome to SA,

as a matter of fact we do have a lot of information on what these drugs caause, especially in the long run and when you stop taking them. And yes, they very likely caused the symptoms you describe.

In order to be bale to say more we would need more details on your drug history: when did you start taking ADs, which were you taking, at what doses (approximately because you probably won't remember). Especially the most recent changes. You mention a lot of them but some timeframes, even approximate woudl be very helpful.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature     

This site saved me by making me aware of what those drugs were doing to me and what is teh proper way to handle them to minimise the damage. These links  are a good starting point towards self-education:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

If you read a bit, you will very soon see that taking people off the drugs and putting them on causes all sort of symptoms which doctors deny or attribute to "mental illness".

I believe we will be able to say more about your situation when we get more details.

Once again welcome.

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thank you Bubble,

I will have a read through the links you have kindly advised me on.

Thanks again any help is much appreciated

AJ

X

2003 - 2012 zopiclone prescribed by GP then began self medicating up to. 20 x 7.5mg per day

2012 -2012 admitted to hospital after TIA Stoke aged 37 after the death of my mum. IV Diazepam for 3 days so no withdrawal symptoms of zopiclone clean.

2012 placed on Tegretol to reduce sezuires Dalmaine for sleep 60mg at night only... Never self medicated again

2012 - 2015 Diagnosed with epilepsy still on 600mg of Tegretol and 60mg of Dalmaine also take 10mg of Meletonin

2015 Prescribed keprra discountined after 1 week of no sleep and continuing sezuires thought of suicide and hearing voices.

2015 Mitrazapine starting dosage 30mg stayed on for 3 weeks then came off as lost my hearing I left ear. This was prescribed after a 24 hr EEG.

2015 Tranxillium 20mg to take as needed. Discontinued after 1 week as could not swallow.

• Administrator

Welcome, Sunny.

How did you go off mirtazapine?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altrostrata,

Thanks for dropping by. X

Well I've been diagnosed with epilepsy I've had depression some really bad times... But I don't feel depressed more stressed.

I have had more AD's than I care to remember and I never took well with any of them. So years ago I started self medicating with zopiclone I managed to get off them clean after I had a TIA stroke which happened after 3 weeks of my mum passing. In someway it was like a blessing as I got clear from zopiclone. However beginning of June this year the epilepsy has began. 3 weeks ago I had a video EEG for 24hrs. I still don't have my results but the consultant neurologist at that time sent me on my way with Mitrazapine. I couldn't swallow and got sever jerking so I came of them. I Didn't really reasech them I just did as I was told anyway I decided that I was withdrawing from Dalmaine which works well with me and stopped the Mitrazapine.. That said my hearing in my left ear is quite bad. I'm still having flu like symptoms but my GP here in Spain knows very little about these. She's really supportive but I'm just hoping to see the neurologist ASAP. They tried me on kepprra that sent me through the roof.. I was hearing voices and irrational thoughts which I had when before I had depression. So I'm kinda stuck as what to do until the neurologist prescribes the right medication. It did help me sleep but the other side effects scared me so back to dalmaine. Can you offer any advise? I'd be interested in any information or help I may get. Once again thanks for dropping by AJ x⭐️

• Administrator

What may have happened is that your nervous system is sensitized by going on and off a bunch of neuroactive drugs, particularly the ones to which you had a bad reaction.

A very low dose of Keppra might be more tolerable for you. See One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

Most likely, you will have to be careful with dosing of neuroactive drugs for a long time, until your nervous system settles down from all the drug switches.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Morning Altrostrata,

Thanks so much xx I am very sensitive to medication all AD's have had bad reactions in my lifetime I don't want to take them.

Although the the neurological department here in Spain don't have my medical notes from the UK. I did make it clear that I didn't want zopiclone to sleep. Also that kepprra didn't agree with me. I am quite an anxious person although I hide it well. But I do find going to supermarkets particularly frightening. Also I have just started driving again so far so good. I need to drive as my husband works away.

My DD is amazing for a 12 year old she knows when a sezure is away to happen also my dog senses it.

Last night I had a rough nigh even tho I took 600mg tegretol 60mg Dalmaine and 10 mg of Meletonin I woke myself up by shouting to myself and then I was physically sick. Do you think that this would still be the withdrawal from Mitrazapina?

I really do appreciate your help and advise I don't have any family except from my 2 beautiful understanding kids. They understand when mum needs to lay down.

So I really thank you for your support xx I'll hopefully hear something today from my doctor here with regards to the neurologist appointment to see what crazy things they must have seen. Sending warm wishes to you and many thanks AJ XX

• Administrator

Since you're taking several drugs, there's no way to tell what's causing what.

For your own information, put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.htmlYou'll want to read up on the adverse effects of each drug, too.

A small dose of Keppra, a fraction of whatever you tried before, or a fractional dose of a drug such as lamotrigine, might be more tolerable for you. See One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome and Lamictal (lamotrigine) to calm post-discontinuation withdrawal symptoms

Adverse reactions are generally related to dosage. You probably will have to take something for the epilepsy.