SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

papertaper Withdrawal. Get back on Rx and taper again?

papertaper

I discovered this web page by serendipity today.  Like I was just supposed to find it by some divine purpose.  I've been feeling "funny".  Like my head is in a cloud and I have dizziness when I turn my head from a stationary position.  I was searching the internet thinking this might be a sinus infection that hasn't really gone away.  But now I'm realizing that it's probably withdrawal symptoms, thanks to this website.  It's worse at various times, maybe depending on caffeine, sleep, anxious feelings and other factors.  I'll be paying close attention to see what makes it worse or better.

The back story:  I started taking antidepressants when I was 17.  I'm now 32 (almost 33).  I started with Zoloft, changed to Prozac, and finished on Lexapro.  I have increased and decreased my doses over the years (with the guidance and approval of my psychs), sometimes doubling or halving my dose without any kind of taper and without really having any issues with that.  This year, I decided to get off of them altogether.  In hindsight, I realize I've been taking them way too long, much longer than I needed to.  And I might not have even needed them in the first place.  I probably just needed really good therapy to help with my issues rather than putting a band-aid (plaster) on my symptoms.  

I think it was April when I started my taper of Lexapro (escitalopram) under the guidance and approval of my psych, and I tapered kind of fast I think compared to what I've been reading here.  I went from 40mg to 30, 30 to 20, 20 to 15, 15 to 10, 10 to 5, and then I sometimes halved the 5 if I could or I took it once ever other day and then once every three days and then stopped.  So I went from April to the beginning of September with my taper, practically going from 5mg to 0 in one step.

Maybe 3 weeks have passed, and I'm noticing this dizzy, cloudy feeling and sometimes a palpitation thing with my heart, but I'm not sure if it's real or what.  I pray that my symptoms don't worsen and that other ones don't pop up.  I made an appointment with my GP for three days from now.  At the time I made the appointment, I thought it was for a possible sinus infection.  Now I'm going to share with him what I've learned here.  I might ask for him to do the EKG thing on my heart or whatever it is to monitor any weirdness.  I've also moved up my next appointment with my psychiatrist to ask about this.

My question is this...

Has anyone had withdrawal symptoms, gone back onto the medication, and then tapered off again but much more slowly?  And did you have success?  Did you reduce or eliminate your withdrawal syndrome?  Or do you know someone that has done this?

I appreciate anyone taking time to read this and comment.  

~1999 started Zoloft

~2007 switched to Prozac (fluoxetine)

~2013 switched to Lexapro (escitalopram)

April 2015 started taper from 40mg to 0 in early September

a couple of weeks later, dizziness, cloudiness, body temperature swings, heart pounding

symptoms exacerbated by caffeine, stopped drinking coffee and tea

considering reinstatement to taper off more slowly

getting laid off, but handling it well, no serious anxiety or depression

Greetings, Papertaper.

I'm glad serendipity happened.

To answer your question partly, yes, people have done that. It can bring immediate relief but it doesn't guarantee that Taper II will have the desired result. If the end point of a longer taper is 2 or 3 months from now, that's more months of taking the drug that your brain and body could spend entirely drug free. I didn't taper, so that's my thoughts, not something you can take to the bank.

You can seach this site for "reinstatement" or "reinstate" to zero in on people's outcomes.

[A bit of housekeeping--a moderator will probably come along soon and ask you to start a thread in Intros and Updates if you haven't already, and probably move this post over there.]

Welcome

WC

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Papertaper,

Many people have used this strategy to good effect.   We often suggest that people consider reinstating a very low dose (probably much lower than any dr would recommend) and then tapering very slowly.

here is our key thread on reinstating - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/page-2

Can I ask you to put your drug history in your signature.  Instructions on how to do that are here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

I must say we often find medical practitioners don't know a lot about the problem of withdrawal or how to manage it - don't be surprised by this.  It's certainly not something the pharmaceutical industry focus attention on in their research or education efforts

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Welcome 'papertaper'

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

I discovered this web page by serendipity today.  Like I was just supposed to find it by some divine purpose.  I've been feeling "funny".  Like my head is in a cloud and I have dizziness when I turn my head from a stationary position.  I was searching the internet thinking this might be a sinus infection that hasn't really gone away.  But now I'm realizing that it's probably withdrawal symptoms, thanks to this website.  It's worse at various times, maybe depending on caffeine, sleep, anxious feelings and other factors.  I'll be paying close attention to see what makes it worse or better.

The back story:  I started taking antidepressants when I was 17.  I'm now 32 (almost 33).  I started with Zoloft, changed to Prozac, and finished on Lexapro.  I have increased and decreased my doses over the years (with the guidance and approval of my psychs), sometimes doubling or halving my dose without any kind of taper and without really having any issues with that.  This year, I decided to get off of them altogether.  In hindsight, I realize I've been taking them way too long, much longer than I needed to.  And I might not have even needed them in the first place.  I probably just needed really good therapy to help with my issues rather than putting a band-aid (plaster) on my symptoms.  Also, I'm getting laid off thanks to the crashed oil price, but I'm handling it well.  I'm glad to be moving on from a job that I haven't liked for over 5 years.

I think it was April when I started my taper of Lexapro (escitalopram) under the guidance and approval of my psych, and I tapered kind of fast I think compared to what I've been reading here.  I went from 40mg to 30, 30 to 20, 20 to 15, 15 to 10, 10 to 5, and then I sometimes halved the 5 if I could or I took it once ever other day and then once every three days and then stopped.  So I went from April to the beginning of September with my taper, practically going from 5mg to 0 in one step.

Maybe 3 weeks have passed, and I'm noticing this dizzy, cloudy feeling and sometimes a palpitation thing with my heart, but I'm not sure if it's real or what.  I pray that my symptoms don't worsen and that other ones don't pop up.  I made an appointment with my GP for three days from now.  At the time I made the appointment, I thought it was for a possible sinus infection.  Now I'm going to share with him what I've learned here.  I might ask for him to do the EKG thing on my heart or whatever it is to monitor any weirdness.  I've also moved up my next appointment with my psychiatrist to ask about this.

I think I'm going to reinstate at 5 mg's and taper again, but more slowly.

~1999 started Zoloft

~2007 switched to Prozac (fluoxetine)

~2013 switched to Lexapro (escitalopram)

April 2015 started taper from 40mg to 0 in early September

a couple of weeks later, dizziness, cloudiness, body temperature swings, heart pounding

symptoms exacerbated by caffeine, stopped drinking coffee and tea

considering reinstatement to taper off more slowly

getting laid off, but handling it well, no serious anxiety or depression

• Administrator

Welcome, papertaper.

I merged your two Intro topics -- only one Intro topic to a member. Please put all your "what should I do?" questions here, so we can keep your history all in one place.

dalsaan answered you up above. Let us know if you have any other questions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi papertiger,

Welcome from me too. Just wondering how you're feeling now that you've reinstated. Do stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Papertiger .Did you hear about James Harper?: How to Get Off Psychoactive Drugs Safely James Harper.

See the links: http://www.theroadback.org/trbprogram.aspx

The bestselling book, How to Get Off Psychoactive Drugs Safely, by Jim Harper is offered for free on our web site. You can click How to Start at the top of each page or send an e-mail to info@theroadback.org and in the subject line type Free Book and we will send you a pdf file ASAP.

This is program to withdrawl . I am preparing me to buy his products. Never experienced it, but i think it is a way to.

http://www.neurogeneticsolutions.com/

Read the pdf file or buy the book in amazon.com

I am from Brazil, 69 y.o and i am taking clomipramin and benzo there are 30 years and i am looking for the withdrawl. God bless you

1.  1972 : Primeiro paniccrisis aguda de terror mental; Nenhum medicamento psicoativo por 14 anos.

2.  1986 : Anafranil (Clomipramine) 25 mg, 2 vezes ao dia (50 mg) e Valium (diazepam) 10mg (sem prescrição Doutor), 15/15 ou 20/20 dias sem regularidade.

3.  1996 : Percepção de confusão mental, leve tontura (ou desequilíbrio), medo de perder a cognição, diminuição da memória.

4.  2004  Tentativa de metade da dose, sem qualquer método knowhownorspecific.

5.  2012 : a retirada gradual, sem qualquer método específico nem control.Valium rígida e Anafranil por 6 meses. Eu estava feliz e normal. Após 6 meses, com alta tensão e com praticamente os mesmos sintomas: ataques menor de pânico, ansiedade, negativos e suicidethoughts, medo de executar tarefas profissionais, taquicardia, necessidades fisiológicas. Novo sintoma: agonia nas pernas nervespathand nenhum movimento nos membros inferiores.

6. 2012 : Reinício da Anafranil, 25 mg duas vezes por dia e Valium, 1 tabletwhen muito nervoso. Aliviada, mas com sintomas raros.

7. 2015  (julho) : me deparei com o SA, mas sem compreensão e começou a retirada: zumbido e outra noisessuch como faíscas como sons ofpeeled fios elétricos que tocam-se mais pânico crise quando vi minha mãe de 97 anos com alucinações Seroquel. Eu tinha mildpanic. Recuperação em dois meses, tomar remédios de homeopatia. Eu continuei tomando Anafranil, 25 mg uma vez por dia e 10 mg de Valium quando realmente necessário.

8. 2016 (Fevereiro) : Tomando remédios de homeopatia  Anafranil, 25mg  uma vez por dia e Valium, 5mg duas vezes por dia.

9. 2016 19 de maio : 12,5 mg duas vezes por dia ao acordar e ir para a cama, junto com Valium, 2,5 mg duas vezes por dia ao acordar e ir para a cama. 

10. 2016 Junho 20 th (ontem): crises de pânico leve, muito choro e medo de ter pânico 'autêntico', assim como há 30 anos. Tomei o Resgate Flor Bach chamado amigos, a cada 2 horas.Agora, Junho de 2016, eu estou me preparando para ir através da retirada seguindo o método que eu aprendi na SA.

Hi Papertaper. Read to the David Fox history on http://www.madinamerica.com/author/dfox/

1.  1972 : Primeiro paniccrisis aguda de terror mental; Nenhum medicamento psicoativo por 14 anos.

2.  1986 : Anafranil (Clomipramine) 25 mg, 2 vezes ao dia (50 mg) e Valium (diazepam) 10mg (sem prescrição Doutor), 15/15 ou 20/20 dias sem regularidade.

3.  1996 : Percepção de confusão mental, leve tontura (ou desequilíbrio), medo de perder a cognição, diminuição da memória.

5.  2012 : a retirada gradual, sem qualquer método específico nem control.Valium rígida e Anafranil por 6 meses. Eu estava feliz e normal. Após 6 meses, com alta tensão e com praticamente os mesmos sintomas: ataques menor de pânico, ansiedade, negativos e suicidethoughts, medo de executar tarefas profissionais, taquicardia, necessidades fisiológicas. Novo sintoma: agonia nas pernas nervespathand nenhum movimento nos membros inferiores.

6. 2012 : Reinício da Anafranil, 25 mg duas vezes por dia e Valium, 1 tabletwhen muito nervoso. Aliviada, mas com sintomas raros.

7. 2015  (julho) : me deparei com o SA, mas sem compreensão e começou a retirada: zumbido e outra noisessuch como faíscas como sons ofpeeled fios elétricos que tocam-se mais pânico crise quando vi minha mãe de 97 anos com alucinações Seroquel. Eu tinha mildpanic. Recuperação em dois meses, tomar remédios de homeopatia. Eu continuei tomando Anafranil, 25 mg uma vez por dia e 10 mg de Valium quando realmente necessário.

8. 2016 (Fevereiro) : Tomando remédios de homeopatia  Anafranil, 25mg  uma vez por dia e Valium, 5mg duas vezes por dia.

9. 2016 19 de maio : 12,5 mg duas vezes por dia ao acordar e ir para a cama, junto com Valium, 2,5 mg duas vezes por dia ao acordar e ir para a cama. 

10. 2016 Junho 20 th (ontem): crises de pânico leve, muito choro e medo de ter pânico 'autêntico', assim como há 30 anos. Tomei o Resgate Flor Bach chamado amigos, a cada 2 horas.Agora, Junho de 2016, eu estou me preparando para ir através da retirada seguindo o método que eu aprendi na SA.

Did you hear about James Harper?: How to Get Off Psychoactive Drugs Safely James Harper.

The bestselling book, How to Get Off Psychoactive Drugs Safely, by Jim Harper is offered for free on our web site. You can click How to Start at the top of each page or send an e-mail to info@theroadback.org and in the subject line type Free Book and we will send you a pdf file ASAP.

This is program to withdrawl . I am preparing me to buy his products. Never experienced it, but i think it is a way to.

Read the pdf file or buy the book in amazon.com

I am from Brazil, 69 y.o and i am taking clomipramin and benzo there are 30 years. God bless you

i TRYIED TO SEND YOU the PDF FILE BUT IS TOO BIG to upload

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The back story:  I started taking antidepressants when I was 17.  I'm now 32 (almost 33).  I started with Zoloft, changed to Prozac, and finished on Lexapro.  I have increased and decreased my doses over the years (with the guidance and approval of my psychs), sometimes doubling or halving my dose without any kind of taper and without really having any issues with that.  This year, I decided to get off of them altogether.  In hindsight, I realize I've been taking them way too long, much longer than I needed to.  And I might not have even needed them in the first place.  I probably just needed really good therapy to help with my issues rather than putting a band-aid (plaster) on my symptoms.  Also, I'm getting laid off thanks to the crashed oil price, but I'm handling it well.  I'm glad to be moving on from a job that I haven't liked for over 5 years.

I think I'm going to reinstate at 5 mg's and taper again, but more slowly.

Hi papertaper,

I'm new to the forum too and can relate to your story a lot. I stopped Effexor + Quetiapine completely in April and after a few months, I'm feeling a lot worse than I ever did before and have been talking to my GP about restarting Effexor at a low dose again. I also did an EKG as I've been experiencing slight heart palpitations and low heart rate, which will determine whether it's safe for me to go back on the Effexor + Quetiapine combo. I would definitely suggest that you ask your doctor about this as there is evidence that suggests prolonged antidepressant use can cause abnormal heart rate, blood pressure, etc so it's good to get an idea of your heart health.

The more I'm reading about the long-term effects of antidepressants, the more I'm realizing that tapering off is not as linear of a path as I thought. It's a depressing thought in itself, but at least this forum helps me realize that I'm not totally alone in this battle. Wish you well in your journey and keep us posted if you can.

• 25mg Cipralex 2009 - 2010

150mg Effexor + 50mg Quetiapine/Seroquel 2011 - 2015

50mg > 25mg > 0 Quetiapine/Seroquel December 2014

150mg > 112.5mg > 75mg > 37.5mg January - April 25ish 2015

Started experiencing worsening anxiety and depression post-withdrawal of medication from mid-July 2015

100mg Wellbutrin September - October 2015

25mg Quetiapine/Seroquel reinstated October 1 2015 but experiencing numbness, inability to focus, low heart rate, blood pressure, head rushes

Reinstated 37.5mg Effexor October 29, 2015 and trying to keep the hope alive

Stopped seroquel October 30, so far doing better since reinstatement but would like to taper off Effexor next year after stabilizing