☼ alexjuice: About

alexjuice

Yeah... some things one just can't be balanced about in certain cases. Like obviously if you are a drug addict you shouldn't do drugs. What I mean is, you need to somehow allow yourself some breaks. So say someone used to "relax" with an alcoholic drink, but they are alcoholic.... Some kind of healthy substitute needs to be found. Maybe for someone that would be meditation. Or maybe taking 15 minutes in your day to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate (if that is tolerated). So for me, I know I have to stay away from donuts and candy, but having a slice of home made carrot cake is all right. Maybe for someone else that throws them off the deep end, every person is different. The thing is finding what works for you and allowing yourself some pleasure within what doesn't hurt you. The problem I think is when you push yourself to such extreme discipline and ascetic behavior that you can't conceivably maintain that level of depriving yourself of what you want. It can really backfire. And like you say, SCD is for some very specific diseases like Ulcerative Colitis. I do think eating IN THAT DIRECTION (really cutting down or eliminating processed carbs like white flour and sugar, for example) can be healthy for everyone. But yeah... why take it to an extreme when you don't necessarily need to, or it might even be counterproductive?

I don't know if I'm making sense. In any case, happy Winter solstice to you, Alex. May 2012 bring great improvements, beautiful surprises, and unimagined well-being to your life.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Update:

Continue to have bone pain- hips, spine, wrists, etc. Cramping has improved but still bothersome. I think I'm carrying a deficiency in magnesium or calcium. I may order some blood work to check a few things.

Otherwise things are going well...unless I fall and fracture something... Luckily my balance is strong.

Hope everyone has a nice Xmas.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Update:

Continue to have bone pain- hips, spine, wrists, etc. Cramping has improved but still bothersome. I think I'm carrying a deficiency in magnesium or calcium. I may order some blood work to check a few things.

Otherwise things are going well...unless I fall and fracture something... Luckily my balance is strong.

Hope everyone has a nice Xmas.

Hi Alex. I know calcium helped me with muscle spasms. I hope you feel better. Have a nice xmas too!

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Hugs to you Alex ;)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Update:

I spent last night and the first half of today behind bars after a routine traffic stop. Obviously, I couldn't access my medication.

I got stopped for taking a "wide right" at 11pm on Xmas. Clearly a big revenue night for the county. It turned out my license was suspended a few weeks ago, triggering auto-arrest.

Things got really hairy for me at about 8am when I was having a lot of problems, tremors, tightness, vision problems, joint pain, bp spike... Of course the jail staff was unsympathetic. Guess they see a lot of druggies and wackos.

My speaking manifested, eventually, in a tremoring way that seemed not affecting to the world's most jaded and beauracratic medic...

Basically, I got a ticket last year. I paid the ticket. But i also earned a "point" in our system where certain infractions can create an additional charge as they accumulate over a period of years. The points deal is horribly managed, privatized and run by an incompetent corporation in concert with law enforcement. I can't emphasize how poorly this partnership is executed.

The ticket is a story of itself but it was for failure to signal a lane change with a blinker. The point system, as i mentioned, is handled by a contractor. Even though I changed my address with the department of public safety over the summer, the contractor mailed invoice of "points" surcharge to my old address or never mailed it at all. In any event, I didn't know I owed anything for 'points'.

I had no idea that my license had been suspended in November. My arresting officer practically apologized for pulling me over once he saw I wasn't under the influence... He had no choice but to arrest me, all because I changed lanes on a 4 lane street absent other motorists without putting on my flasher some months ago and this triggered a red tape chain reaction all outside of my awareness.

I feel very, very lucky that I wasn't pulled over on Dec 23rd or 24th as I probably would have been in jail for 2/3 days before seeing a judge due to ithe holidays. And I wouldn't have been allowed to see a physician unless there was a 'medical emergency'.... The word "withdrawal" does not trigger empathy in county jail.

Anyway, my car is in impound lot. I will get my mugshot featured in our weekly tabloid, Busted, and now i have an arrest on record for driving with an invalid license in the event a would-be employer runs a check.

Got home and washed my hands after noon. Hand washing very much needed, jail not clean. Took my meds. Slept some. Have to try to sort it out tomorrow.

I'm okay though. It was a real challenge though. Finally, I reside in a notorious Texas "tough on crime" county.... In my drug days we never came up, the liberal county to the south isn't draconian like my current jurisdiction.

My advice to anyone tapering. Do not get arrested if you need to take a dose of medication. Actually, my advice to all people in all states of health: avoid arrest as best you can.

Alex

- Zimmerman

Most importantly, I've been charged with Driving While License Invalid, a class b misdemeanor the same as drunk driving.

In a way, this is all due to my Drugging. My defense, should I defend myself, would likely benefit from an explanation of what happened when I got the lane change ticket.... And that has everything to do with withdrawal. Except my own local doctors don't believe in prolonged withdrawal, they think it's something silly I read about on an Internet message board.

G'dammit.

- Zimmerman

Oh my god Alex, I am so sorry. I am speechless

I am just brainstorming here - Do you still have access to PP? There are folks there from Texas who might know someone who could help you.

Of course, you would have to PM them to see who could help. Katesmom, Texgirl, Amaya's Anna come to mind.

If you want, I can email someone on an email list I belong to who lives in the state. I have no idea if she knows anyone who can be helpful but you never know.

And who is the organization that helped free all those people in Texas who were falsely convicted of serious crimes. Might they be able to help?

I am primarily thinking that the corrupt system for handling points needs to be challenged. Using the WD issue as a defense might be dicey because the response would be, "You shouldn't have been driving" And this all would have been moot if you had received proper notification that you still owned money.

Hugs.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Oh, man... that is infuriating! You are dealing with this very well!!!!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Ooooh Alex ~that sucks

That is all so wrong and poorly handled • you are dealing with it exceptionally wel

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, Alex! what a drag. I am so sorry that you got caught in the snare; it is so unfair.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

• Administrator

Oh, Alex, I'm so sorry. What a mess.

I'll bet there are complaints about that contractor. I would appeal the license suspension, if you got a favorable decision, it would negate the misdemeanor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Alto about trying to appeal. There is no harm in trying and you may be able to improve/remove your suspension and clean up your record.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

Permission to get angry FOR you Alex (I would insert question mark here if my damn Droid wouldn't repeatedly fall victim to my electronic vortex--ARGH)

Q: What precautions or provisions are there for people on meds which lower the seizure threshold such as benzos

Q: would this not involve some liability on the part of 'the system' if person being held had a seizure

I'm puttin' on my kickass boots and heading your way Alex

Thank you so much for the support and encouragement. It was such a trying night.

I've spoken with a lawyer. The penal code is very clear, being unaware of a license suspension, even if one did not receive notification of suspension, is not a valid legal defense. I have a couple consultations set up next week, but it appears I have no defense.

On the plus side, I can't imagine they'll come down too hard on me considering the cirumstances. I can later explore getting the issue expunged or sealed if I can come up with the $X,XXX...

I'm not going to dwell. This is an opportunity to deal well with anxiety, stress and anger before a judge. And a rare opportunity for Alex to wear a necktie.

Again, thanks for the support. I really believe I did well in those circumstances and it means much to me to be validated. Thanks guys.

- Zimmerman

double post

- Zimmerman

Permission to get angry FOR you Alex (I would insert question mark here if my damn Droid wouldn't repeatedly fall victim to my electronic vortex--ARGH)

Q: What precautions or provisions are there for people on meds which lower the seizure threshold such as benzos

Q: would this not involve some liability on the part of 'the system' if person being held had a seizure

I'm puttin' on my kickass boots and heading your way Alex

I love your boots, Barb. Given the preference, Alex will opt to not go down that road. Here are the questions the state asked on my DL renewal application (word for word) this summer.

Q: Have you ever had an epileptic seizure, convulsion, loss of consciousness, or other seizure?

Q: Do you currently have or have you ever been diagnosed with or treated for any medical condition that may affect your ability to safely

operate a motor vehicle?

Q: Do you currently have or have you ever been diagnosed with or treated for any medical condition that may affect your ability to safely

operate a motor vehicle?

Q: Within the past two years, have you been diagnosed with, been hospitalized for or are you now receiving treatment for a psychiatric disorder?

Q: Do you have any alcohol or drug dependencies that may affect your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle or have you had any episodes

of alcohol or drug abuse within the past two years?

Q: Within the past two years have you been treated for any other serious medical conditions?

Q: Have you EVER been referred to the Texas Medical Advisory Board for Driver Licensing?

The information on this application is required by the Texas Driver License Act, Texas Transportation Code Chapter 521. Failure to provide the

information is cause for refusal to issue a driver license or identification card, and in some cases, cancellation or withdrawal of the driving privilege. False

information could also lead to criminal charges with penalties of a fine up to $4,000.00 and/or jail.

I'd like to just put it all behind me, quietly being fine by me.

Alex

- Zimmerman

Hi Alex,

Alot of states are asking about med history and not just psych meds.

I wonder how many people are totally truthful about this. I can't imagine the percentage being high.

CS

Alex~

Just to clarify ~

Q: Were these questions posed PRIOR to the suspension that you were not notified of (or did not receive notification)

I admire your resolve to handle this in a rational manner

Alex~

Just to clarify ~

Q: Were these questions posed PRIOR to the suspension that you were not notified of (or did not receive notification)

I admire your resolve to handle this in a rational manner

Yea. I answered these in July and my license was suspended in November.

I am making more calls to attorneys today. I get a free consultation so I will take a few. I also know the asst DA in the adjoining county and may speak with him.

One further frustration. I paid the surcharge that caused the suspension on Tuesday but it will take 7-9 business days - hopefully sooner - for the collecting company to interface with DPS so right now I can't really drive. Hopefully soon the computer will show a legal license and I'll get back on the streets.

Alex

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Alex, you're right. Find out what you can do to fight this and if you can't, pay the freight and leave it behind you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Alex, you're right. Find out what you can do to fight this and if you can't, pay the freight and leave it behind you.

I agree ~choose your battles but choose to have wheels first

I'm not going to dwell. This is an opportunity to deal well with anxiety, stress and anger before a judge. And a rare opportunity for Alex to wear a necktie.

Again, I am very impressed with how you are handling this... AND your sense of humor in the face of it all. Enjoy wearing the necktie. (I'm imagining you as your avatar wearing one for a chuckle.)

I agree ~choose your battles but choose to have wheels first

This is my opinion as well. Considering the offense, I'm due for a slap on the wrist if I don't try to make a federal case of the matter (though in my fearful moments I imagine a coming worse fate). Considering everything I've endured - note: I hate this - I agree that it is just better to take my medicine then go back to attempting to improve in the larger picture.

Also, I fear cops, judges and lawyers -- relics from a past life, I guess -- and I have these fears to contend with. My constant companion is this fear that something from my past will return to undermine my progress and this episode brings that fear forward. However, it also provides a growth opportunity. I choose to look forward to it.

Thanks for again for everyone's help.

Alex.i

- Zimmerman

Again, I am very impressed with how you are handling this... AND your sense of humor in the face of it all. Enjoy wearing the necktie. (I'm imagining you as your avatar wearing one for a chuckle.)

Ha! When I picture myself in a necktie, I picture... well, myself. You guys probably can't picture me but, yea, you can always picture John Wayne for a chuckle!

Actually some of you may know what I look like. It's possible. (With my shirt on and my face shown, that is. Ha!)

Happy New Year!!

- Zimmerman

Alex~

My mind easily goes to all of the ways this is so wrong and ~dare I say~ violates laws of freedom and equality (WHY do they need to know your medical history aside from seizures) but im trying not to inflame the issue while you are on track in getting the basics taken care of without getting into Constitutional rights

Im picturing a Jerry Garcia tie…or is that the ice cream (question)

Happy New Year

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine…i feel fine"

The funny thing is that I can't even tie a tie. Dang benzos. Luckily I have a knotted one ready to slide up.

I'm with ya on the medical stuff. What is a psychiatric disorder anyway? If someone saw a shrink for insomnia, have they been treated for a 'psychiatric disorder'? If you were depressed last year, do you need to tell the DPS? Had an eating disorder?

It's funny cuz I know of officers who have had all sorts of physciatric and substance abuse issues in their pasts. And they get to arrest people and carry guns. I just wanna be able to drive!

- Zimmerman

Alex~

My mind easily goes to all of the ways this is so wrong and ~dare I say~ violates laws of freedom and equality (WHY do they need to know your medical history aside from seizures) but im trying not to inflame the issue while you are on track in getting the basics taken care of without getting into Constitutional rights

Im picturing a Jerry Garcia tie…or is that the ice cream (question)

Happy New Year

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine…i feel fine"

Hi Barb,

Actually, many legal prescription drugs (not just psych meds) do impair a person's driving ability. Personally, I had no idea how impaired I really was until I started reducing my meds. It was like my brain got rid of a lingering fog I had been dealing with when driving. I hate to admit that but it was the truth.

The problem with the questionnaire is that no one in their right mind is going to answer truthfully. Also, you can be extremely impaired without taking 1 drop of alcohol or taking 1 crumb of drugs. I have learned that with with insomnia and am very careful about making sure I can drive safely. I have taken public transportation many times when I didn't feel safe behind a wheel.

Sorry Alex, I didn't meant to hijack your thread. Back to regularly scheduled programming.

CS

PS - Also the problems with a questionnaire like this is it leads down a slippery slope even if the intent is a good one.

Whoops. Two posts.

- Zimmerman

Sorry Alex, I didn't meant to hijack your thread. Back to regularly scheduled programming.

CS

PS - Also the problems with a questionnaire like this is it leads down a slippery slope even if the intent is a good one.

No prob, CS. it's really late, I just hope you are gonna get some good sleep...

I would agree with the slipperiness of these types of things. I also agree that sleep deprivation and daredevil driving pose much greater risks to motorists than most meds. I remember in driving school, we learned that a bumble bee flying in the window was one of the top 10 or whatever causes of accidents in Texas. Some things in life pose risks. Driving is one such thing. Is a driver who takes Wellbutrin for depression a greater risk, necessitating a check mark in the psychiatric disorder box, than a driver who takes Zyban for smoking cessation? It seems only the former need disclose his/her medical history to the state...

These lines are slickly slippery indeed.

- Zimmerman

CS

No prob, CS. it's really late, I just hope you are gonna get some good sleep...

I would agree with the slipperiness of these types of things. I also agree that sleep deprivation and daredevil driving pose much greater risks to motorists than most meds. I remember in driving school, we learned that a bumble bee flying in the window was one of the top 10 or whatever causes of accidents in Texas. Some things in life pose risks. Driving is one such thing. Is a driver who takes Wellbutrin for depression a greater risk, necessitating a check mark in the psychiatric disorder box, than a driver who takes Zyban for smoking cessation? It seems only the former need disclose his/her medical history to the state...

These lines are slickly slippery indeed.

Thanks Alex,

If Texas is only asking about people who take meds for psych reasons, that is outright discrimination. I hope that gets challenged.

But I have seen state questionaires (sorry I can't remember specifics) in which there was not discrimination. People were asked if they took various meds from a long list that included non psych and psych meds.

Great point about the bumble bee example.

CS

Hi Barb,

Actually, many legal prescription drugs (not just psych meds) do impair a person's driving ability. Personally, I had no idea how impaired I really was until I started reducing my meds. It was like my brain got rid of a lingering fog I had been dealing with when driving. I hate to admit that but it was the truth.

The problem with the questionnaire is that no one in their right mind is going to answer truthfully. Also, you can be extremely impaired without taking 1 drop of alcohol or taking 1 crumb of drugs. I have learned that with with insomnia and am very careful about making sure I can drive safely. I have taken public transportation many times when I didn't feel safe behind a wheel.

CS

CS~

Agree completely

I'm not looking at only what the meds do but dangers of original disease state: epilepsy/seizures while driving for example • heart attacks/strokes

If looking at effects of meds --Parkinaons is treated with dopaminergic meds and can cause hallucinations •

And Alex' point about bupropion for depression vs smoking cessation is a classic one ive asked regarding life /health insurance and being in high risk if ever treated with antidepressant • if doc dispenses Zyban then one is not being treated with antidepressant „correct (question)

Phenergan for nausea =antipsychotic

Etc etc

Then we could discuss the millions of people on the roads who have never had a vision test aside from initial one to get license •

Slippery slope

QUICK UPDATE:

The charges stemming from my arrest on December 25 have been DISMISSED by the country prosecutor. HOORAY!

Be back with the story in a bit. Right now, 99% happy and want to share the news!

- Zimmerman

• Administrator
YAY!!! :lol:

Alex, great news!!! Some justice at last!

Thanks so much, guys. It was looking grim. I thought my likely best case was a reduction to a class C carrying significant penalties including 12 month license suspension plus a square grand for counsel. The best lawyer I talked to did raise the possibility of dismissal saying the officers screwed up. First, pulling me over without cause. And then arresting me when, it turns out, he could've just ticketed me. Then my spending Christmas in jail without access to my meds...

Anyway, got home to the letter from the prosecutor. In very legal language, what they said was, "Our bad."

Happy it's behind me.

Whatta load off!

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

So was it a lawyer who got them to reconsider or did you somehow get them to do that?