SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Djd: Cold turkey off Zoloft ?

Djd

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. I'm on 50 mls of Zoloft for the past four months having crossed over from lexapro in June. I'm tapering off Xanax ( which is brutal). The Zoloft isn't doing anything for me , it seems there're really aren't too many ads that help during a benzo withdrawal - so my psychiatrist told me to go off the Zoloft. Just like that. I have read that this could be really bad to do but I'm not sure WHAT to do , because I was on Zoloft some years ago and it pooped out on me and I just kind of quit it then without tapering and I didn't really notice any side effects. I THINK I was on Xanax at that time, so maybe that covered any wd at the time.

Thoughts , anyone?

Thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Djd,

I moved your introductory post from the tapering section to a Journal thread of its own. This way more people will notice it, and you can maintain your own journal.

Did your doctor give you an antidepressant to help with the xanax withdrawal?

Going cold turkey off any psychiatric drug is not a good idea. We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Antidepressants are just as harmful as benzos, with side effects, and long term, they can worsen health, increasing the risk of other illnesses. They can be just as difficult to come off and cause similar withdrawal symptoms.

We also advise members to only taper from one drug at a time. So if I were you I would stop your xanax taper until you have completely tapered from the zoloft. When there is more than one drug to taper from, we usually recommend leaving the benzo until last, see: Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

How are you feeling at the moment, are you experiencing any symptoms?

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. You will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi djd , I wish you well

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.