Help stamp out references to "chemical imbalance" theory

Altostrata

• Administrator

Although the "chemical imbalance" theory of psychiatric disorders has been thoroughly discredited, and the leaders of mainstream psychiatry are disavowing it, it has not yet disappeared from Web sites and pages. Help stamp out this disinformation wherever you find it by sending feedback to Web publishers.

(Oh, dear, those references in books and paper publications will be embarrassing the authors forever.)

Here is a message I sent to Mind UK. Feel free to modify it and use it in your own messages:

On http://www.mind.org.uk/help/medical_and_alternative_care/making_sense_of_antidepressants, Mind states:

"Depression is thought to be associated with low levels of certain neurotransmitters, particularly noradrenaline (also known as norepinephrine) and serotonin (also called 5-hydroxytryptamine or 5-HT)."

This is the discredited "chemical imbalance" theory of mood disorders. It has been proved that there is no difference in neurotransmitter levels in any population with a mood disorder or, indeed, with any psychiatric disorder.

While antidepressants do elevate neurotransmitter levels, it is unknown how they "work" in affecting mood. Mood effects may be incidental to neurotransmitter changes. Some people experience the effects of antidepressants as beneficial, some experience an adverse effect, and some feel nothing.

Over large populations, statistically, antidepressants may not be significantly more effective than placebo. Given side effects and adverse effects, the risk-benefit analysis for most people may not be favorable.

Please correct any references to the "chemical imbalance" theory throughout your Web site and literature.

Thank you.

If you send a message, post it here!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Alto,

in reading the blog w Ronald Pies and the responses from you, Cinephile, and Stephanie, etal, I'm a bit confused on how/when the triamine hypothesis morphed into the chemical imbalance story. Am I perceiving correctly that Pies is saying that the triamine hypothesis was somewhat plausible but the CI explanation and targeted meds took it beyond hypothesis?

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

As I recall it, that's what he's saying -- the mendacious enemies of psychiatry exaggerated it and unjustly hung it around psychiatry's neck -- psychiatry was framed !!!!!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

To MedicineNet.com (WebMD):

https://data.webmd.com/sdclive/SdcForm.aspx?FormId=MedNetContact

Your page on Paxil (paroxetine) http://www.medicinenet.com/paroxetine/article.htm says:

"Many experts believe that an imbalance among neurotransmitters is the cause of depression."

The "chemical imbalance" theory has been thoroughly disproved for decades. Psychiatry itself now repudiates it -- see Psychiatric Times http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/blog/couchincrisis/content/article/10168/1902106

The "chemical imbalance" theory is now an embarrassment.

To maintain the credibility of your site, you may wish to remove this information from all your pages on antidepressants and every reference as to how they treat depression.

Sincerely,

Altostrata

• 8 years later...

I came across this Alto, If you have the time I’d be interested I what you think. 

Kind Regards K

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.