roma1: Went off Abilify, going off venlafaxine XR

roma1

Hello everyone,

I'm here because I stopped taking Abilify about 5 days ago. I was on 15mg/day and then I stopped cold turkey. I didn't consciously plan on the cessation of the med; it sort of just happened. Since quitting, I've been feeling more and more anxious, with way too much energy and erratic stream of thought -- it's almost difficult to breath at times. And now, I don't know what to do...

Do I get back on Abilify immediately, at a low dose to begin? Or, do I push through the withdraw and come out on the "other end"? Have I passed the point of no return?

I've been on head-meds for the past 15 years, five of the last years of which I've been on Abilify (at staggering doses). Currently, I'm on Lithium and Effexor. I have this feeling that if I get rid of the meds, one by one, then I'll realize that I don't need them anymore.

Life/my head seams to have stabilized in the past 2 years and I want to give NO meds a try.

Please help if you don't mid passing on some wisdom.

Thank you immensely.

Roma1

Edited by Karma
dispaly name changed at member's request

Past: Seroquel, Abilify, Prozac, Effexor, Valium, Atavan, Lexapro, Inderall, Trizadone, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Zyprexa, Lyrica, Klonopin, Mitrazepine, etc.

Current: Lithium, Xanax

• Moderator Emeritus

If I were you, I'd reinstate the Abilify immediately at 15 mg. since you've only been off a few days and have probably not adjusted enough to go to a lower dose. After you do that, wait at least a month so that you can stabilize and begin a slow taper.  While you're stabilizing, please read up on tapering in general in the Tapering forum, plus here's a discussion specifically on Abilify:  Tips for Tapering Abilify

Please add you psychiatric drug history to your signature so that people who want to help can get a good idea of your context with all of your posts.  Here's how:  How to Add Your Drug History to Your Signature.

Welcome to the forum, roma.  You'll find lots of good information and friendly support here.

Edited by Altostrata
named changed

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Jemima,

Thanks a lot for your response. I took my usual dose immediately after reading your message--and I already feel less out-of-it  :unsure: 

I will try tapering (very slowly) in a month or so. I want to be med-free, but patience, I am sure, shall prevail.

Thanks again.

Past: Seroquel, Abilify, Prozac, Effexor, Valium, Atavan, Lexapro, Inderall, Trizadone, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Zyprexa, Lyrica, Klonopin, Mitrazepine, etc.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Roma, I'm glad you came here now and not after a month or more off, you should be

fine  now you have started to take abilify again. Take a look at the links Jemima posted for

you and prepare yourself for your taper. Take it slowly and you should be just fine. 

Welcome to SA,  the best place in the world to find out about psychiatric drugs and how

to get off them safely.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 1 year later...

Hi there. I'm trying to taper off Venlaflaxine extended release. I'm on 37.5mg every OTHER day... my doc's suggestion. But this ping-pong game is not going so well (extreme anxiety, paranoia, brain zaps, etc.) on days without the med. 

I cannot count beads -- in Belgium (where I live), Venlaflaxine extended release capsules contain one pill inside of the capsule enclosure, instead of little balls. Does anyone know if I should/can cut the pill? If so, do I then replace the portion of the cut pill inside the capsule enclosure?

Thanks.

--Roma

• Administrator

Welcome, roma1.

I moved your post to the Introductions forum, to start your Intro topic. This topic is for those "what should I do?" questions and to track your progress.

Skipping doses is a very bad way to taper, as you can see. Can you get brand-name Effexor XR instead of the generic you're taking? While it will be more expensive, it contains the tiny beads for tapering.

Otherwise, you need to identify the manufacturer of your drug and find out how the inner tablet is formulated. If it is a "matrix" formulation, the timed-release is in the tablet binder and you can cut off small amounts to taper.

In the meantime, I would take 37.5mg every day while you sort this out.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for the advice, Altostrata. 

I will look into the formation of the inner tablet immediately!

:)

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone! I thought that I would share my tapering progress with you (NOTE: I've got nothing revolutionary to say, I'm just proud):

I was prescribed Effexor in 2006 (10 years ago!!) and immediately to 300mg/day. Over the course of the first 5 years, I successfully tapered to 225mg and 150mg via the one day on, one day off method (which worked fine for me at the higher dosages). Then, about 2 years later, I went down to 75mg, and now I'm stable at 37.5mg <-- the most difficult segment for me. Dropping Effexor for good has been a real challenge!

After trying a couple approaches, including doing one day on 37.5 and one day off for about a month, I crashed BIG TIME (as you all know, this medicine is wild and ruthless)... so, after receiving feedback from this forum, I immediately reinstated at 37.5 for three months. 

Since the beginning of July 2016, I began tapering the 37.5mg Venlafaxine by counting beads, taking out 2 at a time and staying at the same "dosage" for about 4 days (but I was flexible; i listened to my body...). Now, almost 5 months later, I am down to 75 beads (out of 124 in total) still in the capsule! And I feel stronger every day. I'm still a long way from success, but so far so good. All's well that ends well.

• 3 years later...

Abilify withdrawal/ Brain on repeat

Hello,

I spent the better part of 14 years on Abilify but took my last dose (fingers crossed...) on 5 August 2020 after a year-long taper. It was a gruelling process, which I stupidly thought would get easier soon after I reached zero milligrams. Sadly, my brain now spins in loops and on repeat from morning till evening. My head is full of layers of mean and destructive thoughts, and random words and phrases that haunt me. They also wake me up at night. I can't sleep. I can't concentrate. When I close my eyes, I dream of bashing my head against a wall to make it all stop.

Will this last forever? Will I ever know silence again?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• ChessieCat changed the title to roma1: Went off Abilify, going off venlafaxine XR
  • Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management