SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

zstard - looking for answers regarding persistent effects of anti-depressants

zstard

In 2006 I was put on Prozac to treat depression. For the first few weeks I felt great. I was less depressed and I enjoyed conversing with others. Then the good feelings began to fade and I was switched to Welbutrin. Over time Ativan, and Ritalin were added to treat anxiety and help me focus to be able to perform at work. Sleep medication was also added.  In 2007 I was given Oxycontin for pain due to back problems. In 2009 I withdrew from Oxycontin with the help of a strong hypertension medication, Clonidine. At that point I felt like a vegetable; just sitting and watching TV after work. After about a year I felt physically better. In 2013 I stopped taking anti-depressants; tapering off slowly. I also stopped taking Ativan and Ritalin. What concerns me now is my lack of desire to do anything I used to enjoy. I just feel flat without much emotion at all. I think I've lost much of my capacity to love. I recently became a grandparent for the first time, and I have no desire to even hold my grandson. My relationship with my wife has suffered also. I have isolated myself and am fearful of talking with people. I wonder now if these issues are my own doing or if the anti-depressants and other prescription drugs have contributed to this. I've read similar complaints from Prozac users, but wonder If others have had similar problems after taking SSRIs, and if so, how long these problems can persist. My worry is that the damage may be done, and there's no way back.

During 2006-2013 I was on various anti-depressants including (but not limited to) Prozac, Wellbutrin, and Lexapro. During this same period I was also given Ativan, Ritalin, and Oxycontin (2006-2009 for back pain). In 2009 I was given Clonidine to help withdraw from Oxycontin. In 2013 I stopped taking all medications except for hypertension meds. I cannot remember dosages. The HMO web site does not show prior drug prescriptions. The whole period is an almost total haze for me.

Welcome zstard.The anhedonia your feeling is common in withdrawal from psyche meds.I think your doing very well considering all the drugs youve been on.

I wish you well

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum  ztard, I'm sorry to hear you have been struggling so much since coming off your medications in 2013. How did you taper? My guess is that you didn't take enough time to slowly taper from all your drugs one at a time, like we recommend here. But its hard to say for certain. Are you currently taking any medications now?

The other thing to consider is that if you didn't address the original cause of depression through counseling or other therapy, its likely to return once the emotion suppressing effects of drugs are no longer present.

Please don't be concerned that any drug damage is permanent, you will recover in time. Over time, these drugs change your nervous system. Their effects on your nervous system change as well.  These changes are temporary, but the CNS does take quite a while to right itself after the drugs are out of the body, see: What is withdrawal syndrome?

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

Many people find  fish oil and magnesium helpful, see King of Supplements: Omega 3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil) and Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker

Please feel free to write whenever you want, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks for your input Nomoreheadmeds and Petunia. I tapered off my last SSRI for about 2 months, and about the same for Ativan. The others I just dropped on the advice of my psych. I haven't taken any drugs with the exception of hypertension drugs since August of 2013. I spent about 3 years in therapy with 2 different counselors which helped a lot. So it's been a little over 2 years since I've been off SSRIs, and I have been quite concerned that the emotional damage was permanent, and it's comforting to hear from multiple voices here on this site that say it will pass. I'll check out the resources you recommended Petunia.

During 2006-2013 I was on various anti-depressants including (but not limited to) Prozac, Wellbutrin, and Lexapro. During this same period I was also given Ativan, Ritalin, and Oxycontin (2006-2009 for back pain). In 2009 I was given Clonidine to help withdraw from Oxycontin. In 2013 I stopped taking all medications except for hypertension meds. I cannot remember dosages. The HMO web site does not show prior drug prescriptions. The whole period is an almost total haze for me.