nick1990: citalopram crap

nick1990

Nick .    :)  You're doing great !  So happy for you . Holding is a good idea.  I hope your trip goes well , but take it easy . My youngest son went to Bali for " schoolies week " , so I know it can get hectic ! 

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Lol oh Ali, schoolies in Bali.. that's a dangerous mix.. I travelled Indonesia in 2014 and let me tell you - it is like the wild west. I tend to focus on the surfing more than the party scene however. Lots of sun, surf and good, cheap food.

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Nick - just wanting to mention that B Vitamins can cause upheavals in your symptoms (esp. multi type vitamins).  Perhaps that has caused this wave? 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hey Karen. Thanks for that :) i did think that before taking them but the "mini" wave started before hand. I actually haven't had a wave in a good long while. This is an absolute shadow of what they were 2-3 months back thankfully.  I really think my nervous system is healed enough to handle supplements now. I can surf all day now . I surfed 3 times on Sunday - each about 2-3 hours. Back in Jan/Feb/March i would tire far quicker.  Another thing, as I'm a Barista i started experimenting with decaf espresso about 3-4 weeks ago, as i felt my body was ready.  I know that a double shot of decaf typically contains 7mg of caffeine. And I haven't noticed any increase in anxiety from drinking one or two a day. 

Still sleeping solidly. But i am working 6 days a week :/  I get home and i just want to lie on the couch after standing up for 7 hours. Usually in bed by 10 and nod off within 5 mins. Dream a lot. Very vivid. Then my circadian clock wakes me at 8 30 . speaking of which ... I'm off to zzzz...

cheers :)

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

Might be a bit of a no brainer , but can my nervous system repair itself to where it was before the taper? say if you hold long enough for WD symptoms to disappear entirely. Im adamant on not tapering until i have no WD symptoms left - Which I'm close to, and I'm having long periods of time without any significant symptoms but then i get a little hiccup popping its head every so often. I have to say though i am getting a little impatient, as i have been holding this dose for almost 9 months now. Improvement has been SIGNIFICANT. But i don't want to risk tapering before full 100% stability. 

Last time i tried to resume tapering - when i was not stable it, i dropped by 1 % and i got nailed by bad anxiety and panic. I felt hopeless . I thought - if i can't taper 1 % without becoming a nervous wreck, how will i ever ever ever get off this stuff.. I never want to feel that hopelessness again. Now i know though that it was only cause i was still pretty deep in WD when i tried to adjust the dose that resulted in me having such a tough time. Hence why i am now wanting to be fully stable before even a 2.5 % drop. 

I have to say though - even though i know its unrealistic and unreasonable, it is in the back of my head that even a tiny drop is going to send me into panic again - i guess its the fear and the trauma of that last experience...

• Moderator Emeritus

Nick -- lots of people have recovered to what they consider 100% after tapering slowly, after tapering rapidly, and -- hard as it is to imagine -- even after cold-turkey. 

The fact that you're planning to take your time by making small cuts will most probably smooth your transitions from dose to dose, as will patient holds.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

Brassmonkey talks about 'wd normal' by which he means (and I hope I've got this right)* waiting until things are fairly settled and you are coping.  It may not necessarily be back to pre w/d 'normal' but it's relatively okay.  I've never got to pre-w/d normal, but I have occasionally got to w/d normal.  I have found it a helpful idea - it may or may not work for you though.

I totally get you about feeling traumatised by earlier 'w/d awfuls'  Bleh. 

*  Brass - feel free to correct that definition as needed :huh::) 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

That sums it up pretty well Karen, but I can't help adding some thoughts.

I see WDnormal as the overall baseline of where you are in general. The place you are when you're not feeling good, but you're not feeling bad. Sorta a rolling average of the past couple of months between the windows and waves.  Watching the level of WDnormal is a good indicator that things are improving.  Over time you should be seeing a raising of the standard for WDnormal.  So how you're feeling now is better than say six months ago. It changes very slowly but is a really good indicator.

Many people have the idea that stability is feeling good again, when in fact it's feeling the same level of blah day after day with no big swings to the better or bad. When a person does a drop in dose there will be a corresponding increase in WD symptoms over the next few days.  These symptoms will resolve themselves over the following several weeks and return the person to a slightly raised baseline of discomfort. The time frame and severity are dependent on a huge number of factors and end up being unique to each individual.  But the pattern remains.  This is why paying attention to your WDnormal is very important.  It is also referred to as listening to your body.  After a drop in dose and the symptoms have resolved to WDnormal the person then should wait a couple of more weeks to let things really settle out (there are a lot of little unfelt changer still going on) before considering doing their next drop.

During that waiting time people may think that they're not doing anything and want to get on with it.  When in fact doing nothing is very proactive.  It's those little unfelt things that need to be finished up before the next step can be taken.  It's letting the glue harden, the paint dry, the cement cure.  The things that need to be complete before the path is safe to walk on again.  If these details are ignored then they start to pile up and compound each other, then somewhere down the line the foundation slips out from under us and the whole thing collapses.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks guys !!! Very interesting Brass.. I have to say im feeling pretty close to normal normal. But having the odd symtom every now and then.. however improvement has been constantly happening, so more to come :) its interesting the variation of descriptions about what happens after a drop . Some people say they feel symptoms arise for a few weeks, while others report no significant symptoms and an improvement in mood/energy/clarity..

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Brass, I've copied that into my thread - a great explanation, especially that bit about letting the concrete dry.

8 month hold.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. Well im in sunny Australia on holiday now. Been tanning and surfing plenty. Sleeping well and eating heaps! Other than a bit of morning anxiety yesterday ive been feeling "ok" I spose. . Its the anxiety I would have pre my taper , so I think its poop out anxiety as apposed to wd anx. Bit of ocd, depressed thoughts but liveable. Only real thing that's been bad is that ive been feeling really spaced out. Not very real and my mind feels drugged to be frank. I dont recall feeling quite this out of it before my taper, so im hoping it'll fade soon. But at the same time im wondering if its not my body saying it wants to start tapering. Drugged is the best way to describe the sensation. I watched the sun set in beautiful Byron bay last night with music and surfers in the water. It was stunning, but I couldn't for the life of me appreciate the beauty of it at all. I just felt nothing... my eyes registered that it was beautiful and I know it was but I just felt fuzzy and emotionless.. do you think this could be poop out? I just want to start appreciating all the beautiful things again, and feel real things!! I feel like I did more when I tapered too quick. I certainly noticed things I hadnt in a long time. I want that back, but without the waves that would accompany them..

Your opinions would be most appreciated :)

I get that too..

One day you can be feeling and appreciating how beautiful everything is, and then the next you feel so drugged and numbed. It is very vey frustrating, so I completely understand Nick.

I think it is part of the withdrawal process, or part of your brain still trying to readjust.

Like Brass said, I still wouldn't take the drugged feeling as a sign that you should start tapering faster than you normally would.

For me the drugged feeling comes and goes. Apparently as you get lower in dose the drugged feeling will decrease.

Hopefully one of the mods can also explain further or might say something different as this is just my opinion

2010 started 10 mg celexa, 2011 went up to 20 mg

06/2014 started tapering (20 mg,10 mg alternate days)

19/09/2014 crashed at 10 mg

20/09/2014 updosed to 20 mg to try and stabilize- Never stabilized and CNS basically plummeted

August 31 2015- Started my 5% taper anyways

May 3 2016- At 14 mg the tapering caught up with me- Withdrawal included severe anxiety, feeling like im on speed, suicidal and homicidal ideation, akathesia, feeling like I was on heroin, memory loss, PGAD, feeling like I was on an acid

May 4 2016- Updosed to 15.5 mg to try and stabilize

​June 4- Started taking 2 mg 5 times a day which adds up to 10 mg because of akathesia when taking my full dose. Akathesia symtpoms smaller

July 27th- Dropped from 15.5 mg to 10 mg because could no longer tolerate taking drug- bad side effects mainly akathesia and emotional deadness.

​Oct 11- Improved a lot since May 4th after my crash. Withdrawal symptoms still left- DR/DP, emotional anasthesia, akathesia, tingling in head, feeling like my body and face disappears, messed up sound interpretation, perception and difficulty reading social and emotional cues during DR/DP, apathy, inability to tell if I am in dream or reality, disturbed sleep. Started having few windows

Hey Nick-- it all sounds absolutely beautiful, I'm  jealous. lol  Personally I wouldn't mess with my dose until I got back home and rested up. The symptoms you describe sound pretty normal, frustrating but normal. Given time and taper they will resolve and you'll be back to enjoying the beauty.  Being frustrated by not feeling what you think you should be feeling is a good sign of healing.  Don't try to force thing and just let what enjoyment happens as it happens, it may surprise you.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

You might like to watch this short video, with it's encouragement to be with what isMelt into your own life

It's a goodie :).

8 month hold.

Dont know where that came from. Had a minute of panic just before. Its 1030 am here in Qld. Has been a gooood couple months since one of those. Not overly intense but definitely dont feel great. The last few days ive been feeling quite hohum too... depressive feelings especially late morning. Then better by later in the day. Why is this happening? It has been about 9 months since updosing. Could I still be recovering from that? I want to start tapering. But this little wave has made me think may be im not ready. I dont want to get crippled by anx from making a 2% drop !!! Im seriously over this crap

• Moderator Emeritus

Alcohol?  Coffee?  Sugar?  Australia ;)?  Sorry, just some gentle teasing for our cuzzies over the ditch :).  Not enough rest?  There are many things that can trigger a little wave Nick.  But I know how gutting it is each time another one surfaces.  Are you using your tools for managing anxiety? 

8 month hold.

Ive been having about 2-3 decaf coffees a day. Lots of lollies and chocolate too. The thing is I thought my cns had healed and to have a little wave like this shows me its not. Is it safe to Say I should hold off on tapering still? Its incredibly infuriating as I just want to get going with tapering. On a plus side, had a awesome surf in NSW today in the sun and another surf in QLD this evening. Sooo warm out and lots of sunshine. Im heading home on Monday.

I forgot to add the episode only lasted about 2-3 minutes todAy then back to normal. I keep reading joys thread and seeing how well shes doing. Even with some physical symptoms her mood seems great. I want my mood to be good. More than anything! I just cant help but feel that my tapering is going to cause massive anxiety. I dont care about physicals but this psychological crap is seriously gnarly :'(

• Moderator Emeritus

If you're heading home on Monday then it's probably sensible to wait till you're settled back in to NZ.  Your CNS probably is healed quite a lot, but you'll still need to take care with it.  It will be fragile for a long time yet, I imagine. 

8 month hold.

Hmm ok Karen thanks. Wasn't planning on tapering while here. Interesting what you say about my CNS being fragile for some time still. I thought the reason for a long hold is to settle your CNS ?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the long hold is to give your CNS a chance to settle, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's regained all it's former robustness.  I think this goes back to Brass's idea of 'w/d normal.'  You get settled, in that you aren't dealing with huge symptoms every day, but you are still in w/d with a CNS that isn't yet what it used to be.

Or to expand the trellis and plants imagery, once some of the trellis is removed you might like to set up some wind-break around those delicate plants till their roots get better established and they can once again withstand the strong winds.    

8 month hold.

Thanks for that Karen :)

At the moment this is what im thinking ,

Although my symptoms have mostly diminished and are at a relatively stable level, im thinking I will wait until October to resume my taper. My parents go to Europe for September and I dont want to begin this with them away. I could either start tapering before they go or once they return, and I figure theres no harm in holding for an extra couple of months, if anything it will put me in an even better place to taper. It will.also mark a year since my updose, which would be quite a novelty. Yet at the same time, every day I have this high dose in my system I feel its doing damage so it would be nice to start removing it asap... btw, how is your hold going Karen??

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm edging closer to reducing again.  It took a long time to feel any improvement, but since mid June I feel there has been more stabilisation.  So now it's working out how long to spend in a nicer, more stabilised place.  Obviously I don't want to rush it, but neither do I want to leave it longer than necessary.  I'm thinking of giving it another 6 weeks. 

Thanks for asking.  I think your plan seems quite sound too.

8 month hold.

That's good to hear Karen. If I were you, id consider holding even longer. Especially if your noticing improvement.

Hey all you long holders out there. Is there any negative to a long hold? I know there's alot of reasons too hold but can one hold too long and begin to decline?

Holding long used to help with my WD symptoms in the past, but since last year, I suddenly developed intolerance to the same drug, lexapro, and have to speed up tapering, otherwise the drug reaction gets too bad and strong.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Oh, why the question?

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Thanks Lex. Well the question is cause im thinking of holding til October. I am functional now. I still have some mild waves of depression when in a wave , but I definitely brought this mini wave on myself. Surfed 10 days straight about 6 hours a day. Really pushed myself physically. I think that's why ive had a little wave. Plus lots of chocolate, like heaps! And a pretty crappy diet. And a muck.around with slight jet lag etc..

Still wanting to go to Bali in October but I also don't want to keep delaying tapering. What are your guys thoughts? I dont feel quite back to normal yet and not quite ready to taper. Would another 3 months on this high dose be detrimental or should I really look at beggining to reduce?

All the best

Nick

Hi Nick--  That's only a three month hold and should be no problem.  Long holds usually end up being 9-12 months plus and can have their down sides.  The ambitious surfing schedule you had was probably one of the best things you could have done.  Yes, you had a "little wave" because of if it, but hopefully that's resolving itself fairly quickly.  Please remember that stability between drops does not mean symptom free, it means a return to WDnormal or baseline.  Once you're solidly on baseline, then you can drop again.  

My question is, if you're going to Bali in October and you're wanting to drop in October, which happens first?  Do you drop the week before you travel? Not a good idea.  Do you wait until you get back? You'll probably be trashed from surfing too hard and having a "little wave" and have to wait for that to settle.  Which means your drop is postponed until November/December.  If your current  "little wave" is settling out I would give it until the beginning of August and then drop.  That will give you a couple of months to stabilize before your next adventure.

Hey Brass mate! Its actually been nine months since I updosed and 12 month's since I tapered too quick. I haven't made a reduction since. Other than one in jan when I wasn't ready and got anxiety from a 1% drop :/

Hence why im being so cautious about making sure im ready to reduce. I guess I want to essentially start fresh with tapering with all the new info I have from this amazing site.

Regarding my tapering around Bali, I was thinking of doing so after I get home. I was hoping if I hold my tapering til then it will be a year with no changes and my system will be in a more robust shape to handle drops.

In the past Brass, I have been able to reduce by 10% + (with incredibly long holds) and had very little in the way of symptoms - so im hoping that waiting till im feeling consistently OK I can reduce slowly and surely without hitting a wall.

What are your thoughts? Many thanks

That all makes sense to me Nick. I'd say it's a good plan.  Didn't you mention surfing Bali a year or so ago?

So the extra time holding shouldn't cause any issues? Yeh I think I probably did. Bali is my happy place so during my acute wd I prob mentioned it a bit as that's where I wanted to go for a holiday and it was like my goal to feel well enough to get back there :) I am well enough to go back there now, but my friends want to wait til sept/oct to save some $ . And as im very anxious about reducing again I would hate to do it soon and have to cancel my trip because of symptoms. I know realistically I should be ok to taper before and be fine, as everyone has assured me but I just feel uneasy. Its because of the unknown. That's what scares me, and I haven't established a pattern yet for my tapering.

Is a year a long time to hold after a pretty bad crash? Or is it quite common? And other than still being on a high dose of Citalopram are theRe any other obvious reasons to not hold ?

Im finally feeling confident enough in myself to go and live my life, unlike the past year. I dont want to go through this all over again and I will do anything to avoid it. Hence why im aiming for solid stability

I've run into several people who have done extended holds of a year or more and for the most part they've had no problems.  There were two who ran into problems with tolerance issues, but they had similar problems before they started their holds.  If I remember correctly there had been some fast tapers or CTs involved too.  I don't see any reason for problems cropping up and long holds are a good idea after a crash.  Try to get everything good and stable.

Hi Nick

Great to read that you have had a fab holiday in the sunshine doing all that surfing! Wow! Now you have Bali to look forward to.

Just to give you my experience. After WD and updosing to stabilise I held for 12 months before starting tapering. I did have several small waves a couple of months before I started my taper but once that had settled I started the taper and was fine. I must admit I was scared to start tapering and wanted to get my CNS as stable as possible before I started.I am so glad I did as have not had a too bad taper so far.

If you feel ready in October after your holiday then go ahead - if not it won't matter to hold for as long as necessary.

Just relax and your body will tell you when it is time.

Best Wishes

Flowers x

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Thankyou guys :) and thanks so much for sharing your experience flowers x

I wasn't going to put this here yet but its been 3-4 days now... im feeling really good. After that last mini wave from exhaustion I've felt more normal and CAlM than I have at all. I actually feel back to normal at the moment. It seems to have been a rapid improvement. Here's the interesting part - maybe coincidence , maybe something more - 4 days ago I grabbed a bottle of Floradix. Its a herbal Iron supplement drink. Pretty strong and also contains some other goodies. I dont eat meat and don't supplement iron properly either. Could this actually be a thing? I had bloods done 8 months ago and I was low in iron..

Would be interesting to hear what you all think :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Nick!

I admire your attitude to all this. Not many people 'get' holding. I'm one firm believer in the good of holding. I'm very happy that Flowers shared with you her positive experience.

The thing about iron and imporved feeling was also reported by Karen on her thread recently. So there might be a connection. Wishing you a good hold :) 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading.