Barbarannamated

8yo boy on ADHD med-suicide attempt, hospitalized

Barbarannamated

I'm so upset about this, I can't think straight. Learned last nite that 8yo step grandson of friend tied bedsheet around neck and jumped out window. I do not know boy personally. Described as usually bright, happy kid. I have met his older sister and she struck me as an unusually introspective, intelligent, mature young lady.

Boy is hospitalized in psych unit in rural hometown in W.PA where psych care is more out of control than I've ever seen. PA has highest rate of psych SSI in nation, I believe. VERY economically depressed area, illegal drug hub. Backdrop of movies set in depressed town--All the Right Moves, Slapshot. Just painting picture.

Got msg this AM that boy has been on ADHD med. Not sure which one.

I am encouraging friend to get urgent pediatric consult in Pittsburgh or anyplace better. Urged him to NOT allow any add'l meds and not to DC current med.

They have child (pediatric!) psych on same floor w geropsych. That in itself could be traumatizing. I've worked on many geropsych units. Whole diff discussion.

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated.

Barb

lupe

I am sooo sorry to hear your story! It is so sad when young people are so unhappy and our society just seems to feed young people so many reasons to be depressed and there are so few stories of hope and optimism these days.

In this situation you only will have the ability to offer suggestions and absolutely no control over the course this will take for this child and his family.

I am sorry I have no suggestions but I can let you know that I have read your post and I hope that you are able to help your friend and the boy. Best wishes.

Barbarannamated

Thanks for your kind words. Learned later that he's also on a sleeper--Lunesta, I believe. Sad.

Nadia

Criminal, to be putting children on so many drugs. And it feels so hopeless when it's almost impossible to find a doctor that is against it.