Joann Pristiq

Joann

I've been on Pristiq 50mg since May 2014.  Been on AD since 1998 after I had my daughter.  Doctor never tried to take me off.  Just tapered a bedtime dose of Xanax.  Still healing from that.  I believe Pristiq has caused my stomach issues - I've had them since July 2014, before I began my xanax taper.  At first I was confused as to what was causing my stomach issues (had every test)  but now I am connecting the dots.  Not sure I'm ready to taper off Pristiq.  Another option is to transfer to another AD till I'm ready to taper.  Looking to hear from others who have tapered Pristiq or suggestions regarding another AD that I could switch to that will be easier to taper in the future.  I know that having been on xanax increased my depression greatly but afraid being on no AD will leave me suicidal.  I haven't been depressed since I began that taper in October 2014...  off since June 2, 2015.  

During Xanax taper I tapered off Wellbutrin and Ability with no problems.  Then I tapered off Mirapex for RLS - successfully.  

Thanks!

Currently on 50mg of Pristiq.  Been on AD for 18 years.  Off Xanax since June 2, 2015, Tapered.  Pristiq has caused stomach issued and increasing cholesterol since May 2014.  Time to find a way off.

• Administrator

Welcome, Joann.

As you've been on an antidepressant since 1998, how can you tell you still need an antidepressant? Post-partum depression is not a permanent condition.

Here's some information about tapering:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

Your recent tapering off Wellbutin, Abilify, Mirapex, and particularly Xanax (quite the cocktail!) may have left your nervous system sensitive to drug changes. If I were you, I'd wait some months before attempting any more.

Please read the above and post any questions you have in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for your response!  I have read thru everything...

My thoughts exactly!!!  I also believe that xanax had made me feel depressed for most of the years I was taking it.  Since I began my taper a year I go I have not felt the flush of the blues that I used to get a lot hence the doctor adding and changing my meds.  I was up to 80mg of Prozac at one time and at another 200mg of Pristiq!  She never questioned how I could be at 50mg of Pristiq for a year now minus feeling blue!!  I will wait to taper it but am trying to switch to Prozac bc my stomach issues and increasingly high cholesterol may be due to the Pristiq.  My stomach issues began a month after switching to Pristiq and Ive had every test come back negative.  I also know that my xanax wd involves some of my stomach issues.  She didn't want to switch from Pristiq when I asked a year ago bc she felt it was working and wasn't convinced it was causing my severe constipation.  I barely ate for several months bc of xanax taper yet my cholesterol continued to rise.  I had shingles right after I switched to pristiq so it wasn't clear what was causing what.  If I can switch back to Prozac now at least I will know that part is taken care of.  Ive never had issues changing meds but I assume that could be different now as my cns is out of whack.

Currently on 50mg of Pristiq.  Been on AD for 18 years.  Off Xanax since June 2, 2015, Tapered.  Pristiq has caused stomach issued and increasing cholesterol since May 2014.  Time to find a way off.

• Administrator

Depression is a common side effect of benzodiazepines such as Xanax.

Your doctor does not sound like a person who knows much about neuroactive drugs.

It's possible your stomach issues and high cholesterol are related to the massive doses of antidepressants you've been taking. If you've taken other drugs at the same time, they may have interacted in damaging ways. See http://www.drugwatch.com/drug-interactions/

I have no idea what would happen if you switch to Prozac. I included that because we don't recommend switching drugs except for purposes of "bridging" off.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

My doctor won't have me bridge with prozac. My pharmacy said they can order Pristiq 25mg. I have no choice unless I cut it which I've done in the past with permission from my doctor. Ugg!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Joann ,   welcome to the site.

You may have read on the pristiq thread , a few of us in Australia are having pristiq compounded into low dose capsules with slow-release additive.

This makes the tapering much easier.  When I was cutting and weighing tablets I experienced dose-dumping and inter-dose withdrawal , because the cut tablets were absorbed quicker than whole tabs.   

Please could you have a go at doing your signature , so the information from your posts is all in one place.

Depending on the type of stomach issues you're having , there are lots of suggestions in the Symptoms section that may help (my current favorite is apple cider vinegar , which is a probiotic , with honey and hot water , yummm).

Sounds like a good plan to hold off tapering for a couple of months and let your system recuperate.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 2 weeks later...

Fresh...  I thought I did do a signature.... lol.   This site is very confusing to me.

I wanted to bridge to another AD to go off.  My doctor only gave me 10mg of Celexa.  It's not even a normal starting dose.  She doesn't even understand how that would help!  

I have to get off Pristiq.  Anyone else use a low dose of another AD.  Don't know if 10mg will help.

Thanks,

Joann

• Moderator Emeritus

Alot of people here have switched to Effexor from pristiq for easier tapering.  

See: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/,   post no.1

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Any doctor can prescribe psychiatric drugs. Is there another doctor with whom you have better rapport?

Switching from 50mg Pristiq to 10mg Celexa is more unpredictable than switching from Pristiq to Effexor XR for tapering. Please see the link Fresh gave you.

10mg Celexa is a low dose, but not an inconsiderable dose.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am on 50mg of Pristiq.  Afraid to taper as I tried the doctors method and it doesn't work for me.  I'm going to figure out how to add my signature now.

I called Pfizer today.  They had no information for me regarding getting off of Pristiq.  They said my doctor would know.  How can a company that makes and sells a drug not have any info?  I have read everything here about tapering Pristiq.  I don't know the best way for me yet or if there will be one.  I refuse to suffer again- did that with xanax taper.  Feeling so stuck.

• Moderator Emeritus

Joann,

I merged your topics so that all your info on your pristiq taper is in one thread.  We limit each member to one thread in the intro section so that we reduce confusion and it can act a single spot for you to "journal" your progress.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Joann ,  looks like your thread's been hijacked lol.

You're going to want to do this taper really slow after 18 years.  Your first drop will be to 45mg , and

you can do this by chipping a corner off.  Invest $30 in a digital jewellers' scale (ebay) so your dose

is precise , and this will carry you through the first 3 or 4 months.

No need to spend money on compounding before you need to.

I'd email the PCCA (Professional Compounding Centres of America) to ask for a few local places. http://www.pccarx.com/about-pcca

Try not to worry . . . each roadblock that seems insurmountable is just another challenge along the way.

Think of it as an opportunity to get creative.  You've got lots of help here.

:)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Joann,

I'm sorry you're feeling a bit stuck at the moment and confused about what to do. Perhaps you need to wait a while, give yourself more time to recover from your recent Xanax taper before making a decision.

Just a note about above comments related to this thread being hijacked and merging. Somehow, this thread got joined with another member's intro topic. But its been sorted out now.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Hello, Joann.

Holding on drug changes right now makes sense to me.

No one knows how to taper off Pristiq. I assembled all the information I could find. In general, doctors know very little about tapering any of these drugs.

• 1 month later...

I took 10mg of Prozac for 4 days. Bad reaction to it. How long will it take to get out of my system?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Joann ,    was that instead of the 50mg prisiq?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Fresh,

No... I'm on 25mg pristiq. This was an attempt to add Prozac, then get off pristiq. Eventually taper Prozac. My system is very sensitive bc I'm only 6 months benzo free. I'm going to have to hold the pristiq till my benzo recovery is complete and just deal with the side effects of pristiq. Pharmacist said it will take 5-7 days for Prozac to be gone.

• Moderator Emeritus

How did you go from 50mg to 25mg pristiq?    Was it one cut , and that's when you added the prozac for 4 days?

If you've stopped prozac , it will work it's way out of your system over the next weeks . . . everyone's different.

Can you update us on where you're at with the pristiq now?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

One cut from 50mg pristiq to 25mg 5 weeks ago. My dr told me she can't help me and I need to go to a psychopharmacologist. Once the Prozac is out of my system I'm thinking of upping pristiq back to 50. I have appt with a new dr but not till Jan 21 and I don't know if he's knowledgable enough to help me. How does this sight work bc I'm not finding a lot of support here. Is it just for information?

• Moderator Emeritus

How does this sight work bc I'm not finding a lot of support here. Is it just for information?

The site works with people providing information and asking questions and getting responses from others and the moderators.  It has plenty of information if you look around and do searches.  I'm not sure what you mean about not finding a lot of support.  This is a site run by volunteers who provide the information they can in an area where very few people have any good information (as you've found by contacting doctors and the pharma companies).  From what I see on your thread you have received plenty of response from Altostrata and Fresh among others.

Perhaps you can be more specific about the support you are seeking?

Thanks,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hi Joann

sorry you feel you are not getting much support .

Post 2 and 8 have links to great info.

Actually i am envious at all the support you have had ...every post has been from a moderator or the pristiq expert  Fresh.

It is truly appalling that one phones the drug company and they play dumb and then refer you to the doctor who can only go on what pharma tell him anyway and so refers you.

Here's the thing the worlds leading psychopharmacologist David Healy is referring people to this site ...so you have come full circle.

Welcome to sa.

..... hit us with some questions.....we love sharing what we have discovered...So far from what i can see  its hard to beat what s already been provided.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thanks! After careful thought and research I'm going to go back to 50mg pristiq until I'm healed from my benzo taper. Once healed I'll deal with the pristiq. It was a bad move to try to taper at this time.

Thanks! After careful thought and research I'm going to go back to 50mg pristiq until I'm healed from my benzo taper. Once healed I'll deal with the pristiq. It was a bad move to try to taper at this time.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think the drop from 50mg to 25mg started a big problem . . . sorry that it didn't go well.   That's how the delayed

withdrawal gets you.

Probably good to give yourself a good long stretch to stabilize before deciding what to do next.

I'd be inclined to follow the suggestion by Alto , that it's simpler to switch to Effexor.  Lots of folks here have done

it successfully.  

:)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg