SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

misslastname: Headaches, crying, muscle tension, anxiety, despair

misslastname

I stopped taking antidepressants a couple of weeks ago. I went cold turkey. After being on them most of my life and having severe bouts of depression while taking them, i decided that if I was going to be as depressed as I would get, then I would rather do it on my own without the "added benefit" of having chemicals in my brain that can't do what they say. Stop depression!  I have had severe symptoms since. Many times I want to run back to the MD to get more antidepressants to stop the headaches, crying, muscle tension, anxiety and despair but I am glad I found this page. I do not want to take something that is not delivering. I have tried also every antidepressant on the market and always wind up in the same place. Still depressed while taking them. Very depressed. I have a book on depression which gives holistic ways of coping with the sadness and so on. I have never tried anything other than talk therapy to help with depression. And I have found that after becoming a professional patient, I can outsmart the therapists and so now am sick of them. I kind of want to get away from the whole mental health scene and start a healthy lifestyle. Wish me luck and I will do the same for you! Thanks for reading this. PS Started St. John's Wort immediately upon stopping the antidepressants and was extremely and I repeat extremely dizzy. So I stopped. Was disappointed too. Was so hoping it would help me with depression. :huh:

Do not go off these drugs cold turkey or you will be stuck in horrible withdrawal hell for a long time. I didn't taper slow enough and have been extremely sick for three years. Reinstate and look on this site under the taper section to see how to safely taper. It may take a few years but you do not want to go through this. If you wait too long to reinstate your body can reject the drug. Many people have tapered successfully and didnt feel too bad

12 year on Paxil 20mg. Dropped to 5mg a few years before weaning, Was on 5mg weaned over a few months and then went off Aug 15, 2012. Severe withdrawal started Nov 2012 and have been slowly recovering. Have had all physical symptoms especially muscle, immune and food sensitivities!

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome misslastname,

I moved your introductory post to a Journal thread of its own. This way more people will notice it, and you can maintain your own journal.

It sounds like you are having withdrawal symptoms from going CT off your medication. We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work well to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal. Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work. Once you have stabilized on a low dose of the drug, then a slower, safer taper can be started. Here is some information about reinstatement to help you decide if its something you would like to try:  About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

What antidepressants were you taking and what dose? 

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Sorry for throwing so much information at you, but here is another link which you probably need to read:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

If you have been on and off antidepressants all your life, its a possibility that the drugs have been part of your problem, causing more harm than good. But you still need to taper off them.

When we have a few more details, we will be in a better position to offer support and suggestions.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Welcome to the forum Misslastname. It does sound like you are having withdrawal from going cold turkey. My withdrawal from AD was too fast and it wasn't until I reached 5mg of lexapro that I found this forum and am taking their advise on slow tapering the rest. From what I have read here a lot of people become super sensitive to lots of things whilst in withdrawal, including St John's Wort. You would not be the first to recognise the negative impact of it during withdrawal. Take your time to read though some of the links you have been given. Knowledge is power when it comes to getting off these drugs. I wish you all the best. 

• Administrator

Welcome, misslast.

How are you feeling now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.