SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Intro to RatedRKO16

RatedRKO16

I ask because I'm very bad with cutting, don't have liquid Paxil and need to make small cuts.  It's not extended release.

I've tapered using milk for my Valium and was wondering if I could use this or a similar method with Paxil?

Thank you.

James

Starting taking Paxil & Valium in 2002/2003 (Tried nearly all other SSRI's and a few others in this time. Don't have the names.)
Tapered Valium from 60 mg to 8 mg from April 2014 to Current

Tapered 8 mg to 6 mg from October '15 to November '15

November '15 switch from 30 mg Paxil to 20 mg Prozac for a week then 30 mg Prozac

Tapered last 6 mg to 0 via rapid taper, .5 mg per day for 14 days starting Dec 17, ending Dec 30

December '15 went back to 20 mg of Prozac. Really, really bad sx on 30 mg

Switch to Zoloft 25 mg January 10 2016, dropped Prozac 20 mg

Dropped Zoloft 25 mg January 31 2016

Reinstated Prozac 10 mg shortly after

Stopped Prozac after 3 days on February 3 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi James,

Most people use water or Pharmacy liquids to make suspensions  when tapering off antidepressants, see: How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules  and  Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Please would you start a topic for yourself in our Introductions and updates  section so we can get to know you and provide ongoing tapering support.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi all. My name is James, I'm 31 and currently going back to school at Iowa State for psychology.

When I was 18, I was given klonopin to combat increased perspiration as a side effect of my Paxil, which I was taking for social anxiety.  I went back to the dr. and told him that it really helped and it helped with my anxiety as well, which over the course of 2-3 months got increased to 2 mg 3 times per day (6 mg total).  I didn't do my research and didn't know what I was on.

Over the years, I had one psychiatrist when I was 21 who wanted me to get off Klonopin.  I still wasn't educated as to WHY, he just wanted me off of it.  We got down to 3 mg.

I probably figured out what I was on around age 25, but I was afraid to taper. Finally I had some courage at 28 and got down to 2 mg, before I became happy with that.

In April of 2014, I decided it was time. I crossed over to Valium and began tapering mixing in some suspensions in milk to help (daily taper). I'm currently down to 8 mg of Valium and struggling to get off any more.

I'm looking for help with my Paxil, which is why I joined this site. I'm on 30 mg and the sweating side effects/stimulating effects are coming out.  I've looked into doing a liquid taper with crushing up the pill.  Hopefully you guys can help me.

Thank you.

Starting taking Paxil & Valium in 2002/2003 (Tried nearly all other SSRI's and a few others in this time. Don't have the names.)

November '15 switch from 30 mg Paxil to 20 mg Prozac for a week then 30 mg Prozac

Tapered last 6 mg to 0 via rapid taper, .5 mg per day for 14 days starting Dec 17, ending Dec 30

Hi RRKO, welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place - someone will be along to help you shortly.

Date 11/1/2000? 20 mg Paxil

12/1/2007? 0 mg Paxil

9/1/2008? 10 mg paxil 250 mg depakote 50 mg seroquel

3/28/2015 10 mg paxil 10 mg prozac 250 mg depakote 50 mg seroquel

4/11/2015 5 mg paxil 10 mg prozac 250 mg depakote 50 mg seroquel

4/25/2015 10 mg prozac 250 mg depakote 50 mg seroquel

5/27/2015 10mg prozac 125 mg depakote 50 mg seroquel

6/10/2015 10mg prozac 50 mg seroquel

9/9/2015 10 mg prozac 25 mg seroquel

9/29/2015 10 mg prozac 35 mg seroquel

10/1/2015 10 mg prozac 47 mg seroquel

10/10/2015 10 mg prozac 45 mg seroquel 6/3/2016 6 mg Prozac 25 mg seroquel

• Administrator

Welcome, RRKO.

If I were you, I'd stop tapering Valium right now while you figure out how to approach your Paxil taper. It's not a good idea to be changing two drugs at once, especially if you're having difficulty reducing the first one.

Read Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

and post any questions in this topic.

The sweating is an adverse reaction that indicates your Paxil dosage has been too high for a very long time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Interesting about the adverse reaction, I've never heard that before! I just figured it was a side effect of the drug.  I had it with very low doses.

I've been holding on the Valium for a week. I'd like to hold until I feel like I'm not in withdrawal anymore (somewhere in the 90% range of feeling good) then taper off the Paxil.

Is there any information on the sweating indicating too high of a dosage?? If you've seen that somewhere, I'd love to read it because I haven't. Thanks!

• Moderator Emeritus

Is there any information on the sweating indicating too high of a dosage?? If you've seen that somewhere, I'd love to read it because I haven't. Thanks!

Side effects are usually dose dependent, the higher the dose, the more likely you are to experience unwanted side effects.

Paxil Side Effects

Less common

• Agitation
  • chest congestion
  • chest painicon1.png
  • chills
  • cold sweats
  • confusion
  • difficulty with breathing
  • dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position
  • fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
  • muscle pain or weakness
  • skin rash

Rare

• Absence of or decrease in body movements
  • bigger, dilated, or enlarged pupils (black part of the eye)
  • convulsions (seizures)
  • difficulty with speaking
  • dry mouth
  • fever
  • inability to move the eyes
  • incomplete, sudden, or unusual body or facial movements
  • increased sensitivity of the eyes to light
  • poor coordination
  • red or purple patches on the skin
  • restlessness
  • shivering
  • sweating
  • talking, feeling, and acting with excitement and activity you cannot control
  • trembling or shaking, or twitching

Incidence not known

• Back, leg, or stomach pains
  • blindness
  • blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin
  • blue-yellow color blindness
  • blurred vision
  • constipation
  • cough or hoarseness
  • dark urine
  • decreased frequency or amount of urine
  • decreased vision
  • difficulty with swallowing
  • electric shock sensations
  • eye pain
  • fainting
  • general body swelling
  • headache
  • high fever
  • hives or itching skin
  • inability to move the arms and legs
  • inability to sit still
  • increased thirst
  • incremental or ratchet-like movement of the muscle
  • joint pain
  • light-colored stools
  • lockjaw
  • loss of appetite
  • loss of bladder control
  • lower back or side pain
  • muscle spasm, especially of the neck and back
  • muscle tension or tightness
  • painful or difficult urination
  • painful or prolonged erection of the penis
  • pale skin
  • puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
  • raised red swellings on the skin, the buttocks, legs, or ankles
  • red, irritated eyes
  • sensitivity to the sun
  • skin redness or soreness
  • slow heart rate
  • sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
  • spasms of the throat
  • stiff muscles
  • stomach pain
  • sudden numbness and weakness in the arms and legs
  • swelling of the breasts
  • swelling of the face, fingers, or lower legs
  • swollen or painful glands
  • tightness in the chest
  • unexpected or excess milk flow from the breasts
  • unusual bleeding or bruising
  • unusual tiredness or weakness
  • vomiting
  • weight gain
  • yellowing of the eyes or skin

More common

• Acid or sour stomach
  • belching
  • decreased appetite
  • decreased sexual ability or desire
  • heartburn
  • pain or tenderness around the eyes and cheekbones
  • passing gas
  • problems with urinating
  • runny or stuffy nose
  • sexual problems, especially ejaculatory disturbances
  • sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
  • stomach discomfort or upset
  • trouble sleeping

Less common

• Abnormal dreams
  • change in sense of taste
  • congestion
  • discouragement, feeling sad, or empty
  • drugged feeling
  • fast or irregular breathing
  • feeling of unreality
  • headache, severe and throbbing
  • increased appetite
  • itching of the ****** or genital area
  • itching, pain, redness, or swelling of the eye or eyelid
  • lack of emotion
  • loss of interest or pleasure
  • lump in the throat
  • menstrual changes
  • pain during sexual intercourse
  • problems with memory
  • sense of detachment from self or body
  • sneezing
  • thick, white vaginal discharge with no odor or with a mild odor
  • tightness in the throat
  • tingling, burning, or prickling sensations
  • trouble concentrating
  • voice changes
  • watering of the eyes
  • weight loss
  • yawn

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/paxil-side-effects.html

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

I guess I'm misunderstanding... if I had side effects of any sort, they should have never kept me on the drug. Is that what we're getting at here?  Or that I don't "need" the drug?

I don't know how else to word it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Its debatable if anyone needs to be on these drugs, they don't cure anything, at best, if they 'work' at all, they block emotions and dull thinking. As you can see from the list of potential 'side effects', the action of these medications is unpredictable, they are all effects, some of them may be helpful to a person. But if you are getting more unwanted effects than wanted effects, of course you shouldn't continue taking the drug. I'd highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. Psych meds can cause harmful side effects and long term, they can worsen health, increasing the risk of other illnesses. In my opinion they  should only be used for short times and very cautiously, if at all.

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Administrator

Correct, your doctor should not have ignored the adverse effect. Whether you "need" the drug is debatable. It certainly was the wrong drug for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I did the 10% cut on Sunday. I was wondering if I should do the 10% cut every week? Every 2 weeks? What's a good rule of thumb for this?

• Moderator Emeritus

We usually say 4 weeks but it depends on how your body reacts.  If your nervous system is destabilised and you have significant withdrawal symptoms wait until they have resolved before making the next cut.   Some people can do it every 3 weeks or shorter.   But the key goal is to avoid symptoms and come off well, not generate them and come off quickly ( a recipe for disaster)

Listen to your body

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

We usually say 4 weeks but it depends on how your body reacts.  If your nervous system is destabilised and you have significant withdrawal symptoms wait until they have resolved before making the next cut.   Some people can do it every 3 weeks or shorter.   But the key goal is to avoid symptoms and come off well, not generate them and come off quickly ( a recipe for disaster)

Listen to your body

Dalsaan

Thanks for the reply! So after this cut from 30 to 27 mg (10%), the next one I will make (whenever that is) will be 2.7 mg or 10% of the 27 mg? Is that correct?

So it'd look something like:

Cut #1 : 27 mg

Cut #2: 24.3 mg

Cut #3: 21.87 mg

Cut #4: 19.683 mg

Etc.

?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes that's right.   If you go on a certain weight eg 2 mg, that will become a bigger dose reduction as you go down.   2mg from 20mg is 10%   2mg from 4mg is 50%.   The 10% keeps things proportionate to your current dose.

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

I cut by 10% from 30 mg to 27 mg of Paxil for a week now.  I struggled quite a bit for 5 days, but yesterday and today I've felt pretty good.  I feel like I could make a cut, I just don't know if that would be going too fast seeing as I've been on the drug for 13 years.

Another idea I've been thinking about is cutting 5% PER WEEK.  Maybe I can cut faster and struggle less with less of a cut.  I see that's talked about in one of the threads.

Would 5% cut per week be too fast?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello RatedRKO16.. I've merged 3 threads you started in the tapering forum with your intro thread because they are how to questions that are specific to your taper.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, RRKO.

If I were you, I'd stop tapering Valium right now while you figure out how to approach your Paxil taper. It's not a good idea to be changing two drugs at once, especially if you're having difficulty reducing the first one.

The sweating is an adverse reaction that indicates your Paxil dosage has been too high for a very long time.

Please read the links provided by Alto.. they will answer many of your questions

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Welcome, RRKO.

Please read the links provided by Alto.. they will answer many of your questions

I have multiple times. I see that it says every 4 weeks. I was just wondering if anyone has gone faster/if it's okay to try every week or two.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, RRKO.

I have multiple times. I see that it says every 4 weeks. I was just wondering if anyone has gone faster/if it's okay to try every week or two.

Yes, please post your how to questions in this thread.  (Can I taper faster then 10% a month.) Thanks for understanding.

If you do well at 10% for a couple more months, and have no lasting residual withdrawal symptoms, you can try tapering 10% every 3 weeks... then if that rate has the same result for a couple of months, you could try 10% every two weeks.  You always need to listen to your body and use much caution. Once your CNS becomes sensitized, it's may not be so easy to get it to settle down again.

• 3 weeks later...

What are some things that can help with withdrawal?  Is there anything I can do to kind of take the edge off or not? Like a supplement or an herb..

• Moderator Emeritus

The main two supplements s/a recommends are fish-oil and magnesium.  They help a lot of people with feeling calmer and with sleep - and in other ways. 

Have you had a look at the thread for non-drug ways to cope with withdrawal?  There are heaps of ideas in there which you can try out.  It's good to have lots of different tools and supportive things woven into your life - helps you to be much more stable.

Hugs,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

The main two supplements s/a recommends are fish-oil and magnesium.  They help a lot of people with feeling calmer and with sleep - and in other ways. 

Have you had a look at the thread for non-drug ways to cope with withdrawal?  There are heaps of ideas in there which you can try out.  It's good to have lots of different tools and supportive things woven into your life - helps you to be much more stable.

Hugs,

KarenB

Thanks for the link Karen!

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for ways to increase my seretonin levels naturally. I've read about 5-HTP, are there any other good ones? I don't see anything about supplements in that link.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's the links for:

5-HTP  (not usually recommended for those on antidepressants as it can cause an overload of serotonin).

Supplements

Hope something in there helps.  How's things going otherwise - still tapering?

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

I've jumped off valium on the 30th. I switched to Zoloft, had bad side effects with it and have just dropped it. I have a crap ton of anxiety but it's nice to have myself back.

I've jumped off valium on the 30th. I switched to Zoloft, had bad side effects with it and have just dropped it. I have a crap ton of anxiety but it's nice to have myself back.

Hi RRKO16

May i ask who is giving you these directions...the doctor? or is it your idea?

You just jumped off 8mg of valium ....was that also the docs idea? Thats a big drop.

So are you back on the paxil after aborting the switch to zoloft ? and if so what dose?

You might want to update your sig.

So sorry you are in this difficult place.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi RRKO16

May i ask who is giving you these directions...the doctor? or is it your idea?

You just jumped off 8mg of valium ....was that also the docs idea? Thats a big drop.

So are you back on the paxil after aborting the switch to zoloft ? and if so what dose?

You might want to update your sig.

So sorry you are in this difficult place.

The valium taper happened over the course of 16 days. .5 mg per day. I've been valium free for a month.  I dropped my anti depressant 2 days ago.

I am currently on no medication. I'm just trying to take the edge off some anxiety naturally and I think I'll be good.

James have you read any of the links you have been given especially the links in post #2 from Petu. this one inparticular

This is very very serious we all think we are the exception to the rule ...yet after 13 years paxil use a CT on the back of a fast benzo taper has a very predictable outcome imo

Would you reconsider reinstating  the paxil back to 27 mg.

Here is a very good description of what has happened to our brains with psychotropic drug use. Please read this.

Brain remodeling

You have just removed a trellis from a vine that has been growing around and accommodating it  for 13 years with a chainsaw.

What will happen now to that vine?

Dalsaan summed it up well "the key goal is to avoid symptoms and come off well, not generate them and come off quickly ( a recipe for disaster)"

I dont want to scare you but your approach has the potential to put you in a hospital or worse.

Here are the wdl symptoms that will come your way in spades....

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist (PDF)

Withdrawal symptoms can be delayed.

"Don't suddenly go off medication assuming that reinstatement is a safety net. This is one of the reasons we advocate gradual tapering to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Once the nervous system is destabilized by withdrawal, all bets are off. Medicine wants to believe the acute phase of withdrawal lasts only a few weeks. From what people have posted on the Web, it can last many months."

wdl can last many months that is true but it can also last for 'years. '

2 days is still time to put all your chips back on the table.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I'm fine. I smoke weed. My brain is fine.

I would go back on an antidepressant if I didn't have terrible side effects. I can't deal with the sweating on Paxil. The sexual side effects are too much on all of them. My stomach hates them all. I gain excessive weight. It's frustrating.

James does your doctor know you have now CT the paxil and aborted the switch to zoloft?

So do you honestly think weed is going to cover the ssri withdrawal symptoms?

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

I know all these side-effects from SSRIs are frustrating and hard to deal with.  It's just that we know there's a fairly good chance you'll end up in a worse place after the c/t. 

We really want you to be okay - and from what s/a has seen over the years, reinstatement would be your best shot at avoiding long-term pain. 

Reinstatement, then stabilising, then gentle tapering. 

I know it's your call; I just wanted to be sure you had all the perspectives/information for making an informed decision.

Karen

8 month hold.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please can you update your signature to include dates and years of your recent drug changes , to reflect your

zoloft experience.

After 13 years on meds ,  you're likely to develop w/d symptoms over the next weeks and months.

Please see this thread on Dr. Glenmullens  Withdrawal Symptoms Checklist so you can know what to expect  

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjLpp-ZydjKAhVX-mMKHaO2CaAQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsurvivingantidepressants.org%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist%2F&usg=AFQjCNH-ytB5kgKs9Ax5kZ2kPlNR-1Xhfg&sig2=QKD2esuvGkeDUzaPIHffwQ

bw ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

James does your doctor know you have now CT the paxil and aborted the switch to zoloft?

So do you honestly think weed is going to cover the ssri withdrawal symptoms?

My doctor knew that I crossed over to Zoloft. I have not told her I dropped my Zoloft. It was causing me to sweat, have diarrhea, and grind my teeth in the night which caused a lot of muscle tension in my neck and head.  Paxil made me sweat, gave me problems in the bedroom, and gave me headaches. None of these side effects went away.

Weed helped me rapidly taper from Valium. I started feeling fine last week, so 3 weeks of smoking weed on no Valium before I was fine. Valium withdrawal is a lot more difficult for me, so I think it will work.

I know all these side-effects from SSRIs are frustrating and hard to deal with.  It's just that we know there's a fairly good chance you'll end up in a worse place after the c/t. 

We really want you to be okay - and from what s/a has seen over the years, reinstatement would be your best shot at avoiding long-term pain. 

Reinstatement, then stabilising, then gentle tapering. 

I know it's your call; I just wanted to be sure you had all the perspectives/information for making an informed decision.

Karen

I don't see your perspective, I guess? How am I going to have more long term pain now? I can always add back in an SSRI if I can't take the anxiety, right?  :wacko:

Please can you update your signature to include dates and years of your recent drug changes , to reflect your

zoloft experience.

After 13 years on meds ,  you're likely to develop w/d symptoms over the next weeks and months.

Please see this thread on Dr. Glenmullens  Withdrawal Symptoms Checklist so you can know what to expect  

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjLpp-ZydjKAhVX-mMKHaO2CaAQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsurvivingantidepressants.org%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist%2F&usg=AFQjCNH-ytB5kgKs9Ax5kZ2kPlNR-1Xhfg&sig2=QKD2esuvGkeDUzaPIHffwQ

bw ,  Fresh

Will do. Thanks for the link. :)

Valium withdrawal is a lot more difficult for me, so I think it will work.

I cant comment on this i havent suffered valium withdrawal so maybe you are right. I have however suffered paxil wdl ...and i consider it a miracle i'm still alive.

How am I going to have more long term pain now?

Like a tsunami it is delayed.

I can always add back in an SSRI if I can't take the anxiety, right?

Maybe, maybe not.

You have opened yourself up to the potential of great harm why not take a safe approach.

Next thing you may be reporting  that you  cant stop crying i have unimaginable anxiety i cant sit or stand still and i want to die. Topped off with diarrhea and vomiting and that is just for starters. Why put yourself through that if you can avoid it.

i can totally understand the desire to not want to take this drug anymore ...and yes i also understand the terror and horror of realizing one is sexually damaged.

But going CT is dangerous.

Recovering paxil addict

I was on a low dosage anyways. I was only taking 25 mg of Zoloft and had been taking 12.5 for a week before that. Along with marijuana I have a pill bottle full of propranolol and buspar... which aren't the best drugs, but tolerable and they nip anxiety in the butt for me. I am prepared to take one if I need it.

I'm also taking a Hyland anxiety relief formula along with rhodiola rosea. They seem to be enough to take the edge off.  If I am really struggling, I will add back in an SSRI. I think valium withdrawal was the worst thing I've ever gone through in my life and I've lost a parent to a car accident and I can say without a doubt it was harder to go through. I am mentally prepared for what comes my way. I appreciate your concern.  :)

Now i am a little confused as to what drugs you are on . Cant see paxil in your drug sig

Are you able to update your drug sig.

Are you saying you have never taken paxil. Did you mean zoloft instead.

Sorry to read of tragic loss of family members.

Recovering paxil addict