Intro to RatedRKO16

RatedRKO16

Thanks nz11.

How long is it recommended to go without an antidepressant before you jump back on one? I've basically quit all the activities I did before such as exercising and have become a hermit. I also have premature ejaculation, which puts a dent into my plans for having a girlfriend ever. Is there a recommended time where a person should say 'alright,I'm not feeling better and the things I'm doing aren't helping, maybe I do need this?' I've lost a lot of weight and look 10 years older than when I started this journey. I'm not happy, but having a lot of side effects doesn't sound fun either. *sigh*

Starting taking Paxil & Valium in 2002/2003 (Tried nearly all other SSRI's and a few others in this time. Don't have the names.)
Tapered Valium from 60 mg to 8 mg from April 2014 to Current

Tapered 8 mg to 6 mg from October '15 to November '15

November '15 switch from 30 mg Paxil to 20 mg Prozac for a week then 30 mg Prozac

Tapered last 6 mg to 0 via rapid taper, .5 mg per day for 14 days starting Dec 17, ending Dec 30

December '15 went back to 20 mg of Prozac. Really, really bad sx on 30 mg

Switch to Zoloft 25 mg January 10 2016, dropped Prozac 20 mg

Dropped Zoloft 25 mg January 31 2016

Reinstated Prozac 10 mg shortly after

Stopped Prozac after 3 days on February 3 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

Pleease update your signature. Are you still taking 10mg prozac? When/how did you stop?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

On this site you won't find anyone recommending you go back on anti-depressants - they cause too much damage, and the nasty trick is, the damage is cumulative.  So each time you try another drug, the side-effects and w/d effects are worse.  It's basically layering up the stresses onto an already fragile CNS. 

So you might be better to ask 'alright,I'm not feeling better and the things I'm doing aren't helping, maybe I do need this to seriously look at some different non-drug solutions?'

Start small.  2 minutes of stretching or yoga in the morning.  A short guided meditation.  A walk around the block.  You'll know best what things could become part of a more supportive life for you.  Start weaving them together, and as you feel a little better, add in another tool.  There are heaps of ideas here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

In my life, I've found that it can take a while to build enough of the right kind of support into one's life, but that if you keep working at it, it can be done.  I have no regrets at building up a nest of self-care around me, but I regret terrible ever taking drugs. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Pleease update your signature. Are you still taking 10mg prozac? When/how did you stop?

I haven't been on Prozac in 2 months. I stopped on January 10th, reinstated for 3 days from Feb 1 to Feb 3.

Starting taking Paxil & Valium in 2002/2003 (Tried nearly all other SSRI's and a few others in this time. Don't have the names.)

November '15 switch from 30 mg Paxil to 20 mg Prozac for a week then 30 mg Prozac

Tapered last 6 mg to 0 via rapid taper, .5 mg per day for 14 days starting Dec 17, ending Dec 30

On this site you won't find anyone recommending you go back on anti-depressants - they cause too much damage, and the nasty trick is, the damage is cumulative.  So each time you try another drug, the side-effects and w/d effects are worse.  It's basically layering up the stresses onto an already fragile CNS. 

So you might be better to ask 'alright,I'm not feeling better and the things I'm doing aren't helping, maybe I do need this to seriously look at some different non-drug solutions?'

Start small.  2 minutes of stretching or yoga in the morning.  A short guided meditation.  A walk around the block.  You'll know best what things could become part of a more supportive life for you.  Start weaving them together, and as you feel a little better, add in another tool.  There are heaps of ideas here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

In my life, I've found that it can take a while to build enough of the right kind of support into one's life, but that if you keep working at it, it can be done.  I have no regrets at building up a nest of self-care around me, but I regret terrible ever taking drugs. 

I've looked at every non-drug solution. I lift weights 3 times per week, do yoga at least twice per week, jog 3 times per week and meditate twice per week. I've also been in saunas, hot tubs, and have been getting massage every week. I was talking to someone for 6 months and just gave up on my therapist and am looking for a new one. I've got off the computer for lengthy periods, television, phone and quit driving as much - basically anything that I've realized triggers anxiety, I've quit. Everything I've ever found to help anxiety, I've done. This includes supplementation of things like magnesium, l-theanine, zinc, calcium, vitamin d, fish oil, etc.

So thank you, but I'm doing fine with the amount of tools I have to where if I added something, I would need to take something out. These tools take up all my time. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again Rated,

I just wanted to clarify - I must have misread your post and thought you were looking for another antidepressant to try, hence my explaining why we don't recommend that.

In your situation, having only stopped a few months ago, reinstatement of the drug you were last taking - Prozac - could be a good option to consider. 

Also to clarify, I mentioned ideas for exercise etc as your previous post said 'I've basically quit all the activities I did before such as exercising and have become a hermit.'  So it's good to see you do have some things happening. 

Best wishes,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.