babtt --confused, zoloft

babtt

Im new to this site but i relate to everything ive read so far. I was on zoloft for 8 yrs and went of the medication at the start of march 2015. I had tapered but only to the doctors instructions. In the middle of august i started to feel unwell and dizziness. After a few wks i was feeling depressed and went back to my doctor. I was put back on zoloft but i experience anxiety like never before and stop it after a week. I then try to go without medication for 3 weeks but it got unbearable. I ended up at a psychiatrist and was put on avanza. After 5 days i feel completely numb and i know i dont want to live like this. Does anyone have any advice ?

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Started late august 1 wk 50mg

Stopped after 1 wk

Started avanza 15mg pass 5 days oct 15

7.5 mg day 6

• Moderator Emeritus

hi Babtt,

welcome to SA.  I am another Aussie.  There are quite a few of us on this site.

I'm sorry you have been having these difficulties.  It sounds like your taper was too quick and you went into significant withdrawal which sensitised your system and therefore you had an adverse reaction when you reinstated.   Reinstatement can be tricky, particularly after a period off medication and in deep withdrawal.   We usually suggest reinstating very low doses so as to not trip off a heightened reaction.

Can I ask what dose of Avanza you are on and whether you are having any other symptoms other than the numbness?

Can I also ask you to complete your signature.   Instructions on how to do this are available here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hi dalsaan

Thanks for your reply

Im on 15mg a day of avanza

I just texted dr he said i can either take 7.5mg or stop it altogether.im thinking jyst taking 1/4 till i see him friday. Deep down i dont want to be on medication of any type.i realized how uneducated i was and how confusing it is.

The other symptom is no sexual arousal

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6

Should i stop avanza immediately

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6

Hi Babtt,

A mod should be here soon to help you through this . I wouldn't stop immediately, if I were you .  That will just send your system into more withdrawal.  I think  you could taper off, slowly and then think about re- instating Zoloft or something similar in  a very low dose, down the track. Don't worry about that , yet .  You will know more , by the time you get to that stage. 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi all i was put on avanza 5 days ago but i do not like how its making me feel. Ive been taking 15mg a day and 7.5 last night. As ive just started would i have withdrawal if i just stop now? Would appreciate feedback

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6

Thanks alig

I feel so unsure what i should be doing and who to trust.

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6

• Administrator

Welcome, babtt.

Are you taking 15mg mirtazapine? What time of day do you take it? Have your withdrawal symptoms stopped? How is your sleep?

This site exists because people aren't getting good advice from their doctors about coming off psychiatric drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi altostrata

I was on 15mg for the first 5 days then i reduced to 7.5 mg with dr recommendation.

I feel so numb now so i have no feelings.

So yes the withdrawal feelings have gone.

On 15mg i slept well but last night i slept on and off throughout the night.

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6

Want to say i really appreciate this site

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6

• Administrator

You might want to take 10mg rather than 7.5mg, as it seems to help you sleep.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ok i appreciate your advice ideally i want to stop it as i hate feeling like this i rather how i was

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6

• Administrator

If it's stopped the withdrawal symptoms and is helping you sleep, I would stay on it for some time, then taper slowly off.

Sleep is important to help your nervous system heal.

It could be the emotional anesthesia you feel is not from the mirtazapine, but from the withdrawal syndrome.

See Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

Even though ive only taken 90mg all up with avanza is that enough to complicate things as i really dont like the side affects this drug has caused. I rather try zoloft at a lower dosage

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6

• Moderator Emeritus

see I think the zoloft has turned on you and i think you might have to play the long game and work through avanza as the 'best' of a bad bunch

dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Administrator

What are the side effects you attribute to mirtazapine?

Numbness and sexual dysfunction

I havent taken anything since Thursday but i have to say im in a world of hurt. I didnt sleep at all last night. The psychiatrist said i could try 25mg of zoloft but honestly i have no idea anymore. Its becoming to much to bear

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6

Do you think i would be unwise to take zoloft

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6

• Administrator
I was put back on zoloft but i experience anxiety like never before and stop it after a week.

You've already tried this experiment. How much Zoloft did you take before?

You might try 5mg mirtazapine. It's not good to cold-turkey that, either.

50mg of zoloft

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6

Im gathering your right even though the psychiatrist said it would be ok

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6

• Administrator

It's not a good sign you had a bad reaction when you tried this before.

For now, I would ease off mirtazapine. Jumping around from dosage to dosage and drug to drug makes your situation ever more complicated and difficult to unravel.

Thanks again for always giving your time to help others. You truly have a beautiful soul.

Just trying to get my head around all this now that ive got syndrome no anti depressant will now work like it had? Meaning the symptoms i have will play up in some way? Because i had such a long period before i started to experience symptoms its going to be harder for me to reinstate. This has been very overwhelming to understand what has happened. My biggest issue is what is my next move i understand your thoughts are to stay on avanza its just hard to go back to a drug that started pssd. My heart breaks for so many sad stories a silent cry in the community.

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6

• Administrator

Your nervous system is injured. It's like you've pulled a muscle. The muscle is still there, but it needs time and rest to heal.

In the meantime, be very gentle with it. Drugs are harsh to your nervous system. Psychiatric drugs will not work on your injured nervous system the way they did before. They may hurt your nervous system more. A big dose of a drug may hurt you more than a small dose.

Welcome babtt!

I'm pretty sure that Zoloft has caused what you're going thru right now. I took the same drug as you for many years like you did too. I took Sertraline what is same drug as Zoloft. Your syptoms sound very similar as mine. I have also PSSD and I have lost all of my emotions especially the good ones.

Now I have been a year without Sertraline. I have got just very tiny improvements like my stomach and guts feel better and I'm able to feel hunger more often than before on this withdrawal.

I think positive attitude and healthy way of living will cure us when the time is right. In my opinion its better that you don't continue taking Zoloft. Ok, I'm not a doctor or psychiatrist but I have personal experience that reinstating the drug didn't solve the problem. In my case after first quiting I had just PSSD but when I stoped taking Sertraline last time I got also anhedonia and emotional anesthesia.

One thing is sure: When we finally recover to back ourselves we will appreciate life and what we got more than before!

I'm not a native english speaker, sorry!

My history with Sertraline:

November 2009 - September 2013: most of the time my dose was 100 mg but when I stoped taking it first time my dose was 25 mg.

Unfornately I decided to start taking Sertraline again in April 2014. My new dose was 50 mg.

I took my last pill of Sertraline in November 2014. Then my dose was 25 mg.

Symptoms: PSSD, anhedonia and emotional anesthesia

Hi sampo

Thanks for sharing and encouragement i will pray for you mate.

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6

• 4 weeks later...

Im thinking about reinstating does anyone have any suggestions. I know my time lapse is now an issue

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi babtt,

Please would you update us on your situation so we know what to advise. The last time you posted you were taking 7.5mg of avanza and then stopped. What drug are you considering reinstating? What symptoms are you having now? Are you sleeping?

Also, please would you update your signature.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi petunia

Thanks for response

Im sleeping round 6 hrs broken

Symptoms vary but main issue is depression and dark thoughts. Just feeling really unwell

No idea what to instate if i should

Thanks for your time

Im taking fish oil and magnesium

I tried acupuncture last wk

Meditation pray and walking

Zoloft 8yrs 50mg

Stopped march

Stopped after 1 wk

7.5 mg day 6