IHadPassion

IHadPassion

Eye exam didn't show anything in particular, healthy retina, no signs of glaucoma.  She said extreme stress could be causing some of the vision degradation issues...yeah, no kidding.

The last week has been especially difficult. My relationship with my wife is failing, to say the least.  I can't fault her for lack of trying.  She has stuck with me through the last year culminating in the total breakdown that occurred in August.  However, she continues to tell me that I'm not doing enough, wants to set a timeline, and is really just adding more stress to the whole situation.  There is clearly a trust issue because she requests to sit in on my counseling appointments every few weeks.   I try explaining that merely communicating is a challenge and causes my head to burn.  She doesn't fully believe that the medication could have caused this, despite having read many of the threads on this site and others.  We love each other, but are both near the point of total exhaustion in the relationship.  I'm beginning to think I would do better with my family as she has gotten closer and closer to moving out.    

In other news, my brain fog fluctuates greatly between totally socked in and moderate.  My mind is gone.  I have no foresight, no reasoning ability, no short term memory.  Everything that made me successful has now vanished from existence and I'm left in a relentless, monotonous stupor and my greatest concern is that this will never return.   

Year 0:      Social anxiety, obsessive thoughts, NO depression, NO suicidal ideations

Years 1-2: Ativan (benzo) <1mg as needed, not abused but developed physical dependence

Years 2-3: Paxil (20mg) augmented with Adderall XR (10-20mg) due to withdrawal from Ativan

Years 3-Present: Severe depression, headaches, psychiatric hospitalization, lost job, etc.

Hello IHadPassion, What about trying meditation?, I have found that it is helping me a lot with brain fog, lack of self awareness and apathy. It's like meditation makes me closer to my real self of before the drugs. Of couse meditation won't give you immediate results, I have been meditating 10 daily minutes for 2/3 months already and I am starting to notice that I am regaining some self awareness that the prozac made me lose.

At the begining, meditating was horrible, because it made me realize how fucked up my thinking process was in comparison with how it used to be. It made me aware of how much the medications had affected me. But now that I have came in terms with my situation (and also improved), I am starting to like meditating, because when I am meditating, some random feelings or thoughts come to my mind that remind me to my old self of before ssri. 

I took ssri shorter than you, and for your comments I see that your condition is worse than mine is/was, but I believe that meditation can help you. 

pd. Note that meditation is not easy at all, it is not a passive process, it is an active thing, thinking that meditating is easy is a common mistake. I am practicing breathing meditation, a technique in which you have to put your full attention in your breathing to keep your mind completely free of thoughts, and when you notice that you are thinking something, you consciously put your attention back on the physical sensations of your breathing.  You can find more information in this website: http://www.wildmind.org/mindfulness

Maybe not now, but when you improve a bit, maybe it will be worth giving meditation a shot of some months.

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

Is there any anecdotal evidence that supports taking small dose Zoloft (or other lesser evil SSRI) for someone who rapid tapered off of Paxil a year ago and is totally dysfunctional, stabilizing and then slowly weaning off?  I've fought hard to not get back on any medications in the past few months, but I am reaching a point where I may have to be hospitalized again. 

Year 0:      Social anxiety, obsessive thoughts, NO depression, NO suicidal ideations

Years 1-2: Ativan (benzo) <1mg as needed, not abused but developed physical dependence

Years 2-3: Paxil (20mg) augmented with Adderall XR (10-20mg) due to withdrawal from Ativan

Years 3-Present: Severe depression, headaches, psychiatric hospitalization, lost job, etc.

Hi IHP-- I'm so sorry to hear about the problems with your wife.  This is such a stressful situation all around and so incredibly hard for an "outsider" to understand.  Keep the communication open and I truly hope things work out.

Instead of switching to another drug a little "hair of the dog" is really the best way to go.  The one you were taking is the one your body needs.  If you're willing to give it a try then starting out on a very small dose, in the 1 - 2mg range is going to be the best place to start.  It will take several days for things to start to take effect so don't write it off too quickly.  Here is our thread on reinstatement, which will give you a lot more information:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Brass, thanks.  I'm honestly afraid of taking any Paxil again.  I took 5mg several months ago out of desperation and had a very bad reaction.  Vomiting, diarrhea, racing heart, etc that lasted for several days which I why I'm thinking Zoloft would be a better bet.   

That makes sense.  Sounds like an adverse reaction to the paxil.  I would be very careful with the Zoloft because the reaction to the paxil indicates that you're very sensitive to the drugs, so again I would advise starting very low and seeing what happens.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Eye exam didn't show anything in particular, healthy retina, no signs of glaucoma.  She said extreme stress could be causing some of the vision degradation issues...yeah, no kidding.

The last week has been especially difficult. My relationship with my wife is failing, to say the least.  I can't fault her for lack of trying.  She has stuck with me through the last year culminating in the total breakdown that occurred in August.  However, she continues to tell me that I'm not doing enough, wants to set a timeline, and is really just adding more stress to the whole situation.  There is clearly a trust issue because she requests to sit in on my counseling appointments every few weeks.   I try explaining that merely communicating is a challenge and causes my head to burn.  She doesn't fully believe that the medication could have caused this, despite having read many of the threads on this site and others.  We love each other, but are both near the point of total exhaustion in the relationship.  I'm beginning to think I would do better with my family as she has gotten closer and closer to moving out.    

In other news, my brain fog fluctuates greatly between totally socked in and moderate.  My mind is gone.  I have no foresight, no reasoning ability, no short term memory.  Everything that made me successful has now vanished from existence and I'm left in a relentless, monotonous stupor and my greatest concern is that this will never return.   

I'd strongly recommend moving in with your folks rather than ending up hospitalized (if that's how the tradeoff would proceed).  Hospitalization would likely lead to medication, right?   Further medication at hospitalization doses may really exacerbate an already delicate system.  Have you read this thread about hospitalization

I think it's absolutely critical to be in an environment that is at least neutral - a place where one can sit around and do very little with their lives for years (if need be).  An environment with expectation and drama makes this situation so much harder.  I've been in both, and I can say with certainty that the drama free, neural environment (living by myself or with my parent) helped accelerate the healing process dramatically.

I'd personally avoid zoloft (and any psych med for that matter - but ESPECIALLY antidepressants and antipsycotics) - like brassmonkey indicated, it sounds like you had an adverse reaction and another SSRI will most likely cause something similar to occur.  I'm not sure what a reinstatment could really do physiologically at this point.  Every single time I tried something out of desperation in this process it almost always ALWAYS made me worse. 

Sorry to hear about your collapsing relationship - I can empathize.  Society is not very kind to males in this sort of situation - there's no understanding whatsoever from most individuals - ESPECIALLY if we cannot function and make money. There's a reason that something like 90%+ of homeless individuals in the US are men.  :(

Passion- our stories are kind of similar -

I went to school and loved my job - spent 8 years on Paxil - after my taper I am useless - completely useless and I feel my life is over - I also went back on Paxil and had a bad reaction as you did, but I'm stupid and stayed on it for 5 months hoping it would kick in; it never did; now I'm slowly weaning off it with horrible side effects -

Please keep us posted on how you are doing -

Xo

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to post how disgusted I am and continue to be with the field of psychiatry.  Several months ago I was considering rTMS due to the severe state of depression and despair I was experiencing from withdrawal and had a several hour consult with a "neuropsychiatrist" concerning my case. After reviewing the literature and anecdotal evidence I realized it was every bit as much quackery as psychopharmacology and decided against treatment.  Since that consult, I've been called no less than TEN times by their office asking if I had reconsidered having the treatment and how I was doing with therapy.  Each time I answer the phone I feel as if I'm talking to a relentless used car salesmen.  Capitalism reigns over the patient's best interest again.  Disgusting. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh that's awful, Passion.  It's really like kicking you when you're down, isn't it - to try and sell you the "new hot model" of biopsychiatry when you are still suffering PTSD from your last round?

Good for you for checking it out.  There are other stories here, I'm sorry I am not sure where they are (also called TCMS) - but I recall one person forked over a lot of money for something like 10-20 sessions - a fortune, that they took out a loan for, if I remember right - and it ended up triggering their withdrawal into a worse place.

So kudos for your wisdom on this one.  It's so hard, when so many of your systems are discombobulated from withdrawal, to not reach out desperately for the next Big Thing.  You chose a very wise path (now if they'd just leave you alone!).

So - with a huge roadworks going on in your brain and nervous system - can you work on what is working for now?  Can you read?  Can you bounce a ball?  (I've been working on bouncing a tennis ball from left hand to right and back again while walking.  Challenging!)  What can you do to soothe yourself?  Can you sing?  Dance?  Writhe on the floor - make your writhing so big and ugly that you have to laugh at yourself?  

My point is, not all "healing" looks like a spa or encounter weekend.  It all depends on you, what you can do, what you can find, what you can choose (and what you do not choose), and how you approach what ability you have to work with.

I remember months, maybe years, even, where all I could do was light up another cigarette.  That was a pretty low range of activity.  Sometimes I could read, but it was hard.  When I quit the cigarettes, I thought I would have nothing, and it took awhile before other things started to populate my poor, blank brain.  But it does get better.

What can you do, choose, find, and how can you approach that - to get just a little better for now?

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 6 months later...

How have you been doing?

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

• 3 years later...

Hi IHP. Very sorry to see you lose so much of your cognitive, mental and physical functioning due to these poisons. I have exactly all of the symptoms you experienced in your first 2-3 years off, and am a deferred MD-PhD student at a prestigious institution. I relate to your tremendous frustration and distress at losing all your cognitive abilities and passion for everything in life. I will be writing a book to raise awareness on iatrogenic brain injuries caused by psychiatric drugs, and would love to email you (for some reason SA won’t let me PM you). I hope you are very close to recovery and that your cognitive faculties and personality are returning to the baseline you were happy with.

P.S. I saw Robert Whitaker’s interview with you for the documentary Medicating Normal and could relate to everything thing you went through. Really happy to see you raising awareness about this tormenting illness that is under-recognized and quite frankly, completely ignored by the majority of the medical establishment.

Clomipramine: 50mg October-December 2016 

Vyvanse: 20mg on most days from December 2016-February 2017, 10mg on most days from February-December 2017, 5-10mg as needed afterward. Stopped Vyvanse April 2018.

Clonazepam: 0.25mg x3 February 2018-April 2018, 0.25mg x2 April-June 2018, 0.25mg x1 June-August 2018, tapered off 0.25mg over the course of 2 weeks.

Escitalopram: 10mg December 2016, 15mg January 2017, 20mg February-December 2017, 30mg January 2018, 40mg February-April; began taper end of April, 15mg mid-June 2018, rushed from 15-0mg from mid-June to late June 2018. Reinstated to 1mg August 2018, then 2mg then 5mg then 10mg over the course of 5 weeks. Decreased from 10mg to 8mg for 2 weeks, then from 8mg to 0mg when Vortioxetine was added. Reinstated within a few days to 2mg (in early November) and then dropped to 1mg in early December.

Vortioxetine: 5mg October-December 2018, tapered off over the course of 10 days after on it. 

December 7, December 2018 - June 22: Escitalopram 1mg.

Current: No psychoactive meds ever again.

Supplements: Mg2+ 600-800mg/day (most comes from HardyNutritionals DENs of which I take 12 capsules a day), 3000mg omega-3 oil, 1000mg vitamin C, tried 20+ other supplements before realizing that they are not effective for a destabilized central nervous system.