SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

LJ2015 - II am struggling today...

LJ2015

Was on ciralopram before

Started Contraceptive pill at 14 years of age

Started Prozac 1998 Various different anti-depressants  including Sertraline

contraceptive pill stopped 2010 - given mini-pill - stopped due to no periods

Injured back 2010 - given Co-codamol for back pain

Started Mirtazapine 2011 - intolerance to Mirtazapine (suicidal thoughts, weight gain, memory problems

Changed to Citalopram 20mg - reduced to 10mg after a while

2013 - given Diazepam 2mg - for anxiety to be taken as and when (I abused them)

taken anti-histamines for years for sinus problems

August 2015 - after small tapering stopped taking citalopram

Cut down on Co-codamol stopped taking anti-histamines

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LJ2015

• dalsaan

• KarenB

• Fresh

Top Posters In This Topic

Any advice

I cant eat or sleep breathing fels strange

Dark thoughts

Started Mirtazapine 2011 - intolerance to Mirtazapine (suicidal thoughts, weight gain, memory problems

• Moderator Emeritus

I can't say whether or not you should go to the hospital. My concern would be that they will just give you more drugs and if you are having an adverse reaction to them, this is the last thing you need. Time is the only thing that will lessen the reaction.

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

If you feel like you are going to harm yourself you should seek face to face help

What do you mean that your breathing feels strange? When did you take the sertraline? How long ago?

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Took second dose of sertraline 1pm yesterday cant stop shaking and I keep coughing heart is racing fel dizzy and sick

• Moderator Emeritus

Did you have a reaction to the first dose? Are you getting worse or about the same

I am getting worse was suffering already when I took first dose

• Moderator Emeritus

Please don't take anything else. I can't offer any other advice. If you go to the hospital tell them you are having a very bad reaction to starting an AD and you don't want any other drugs

I'm sorry you are suffering

Dalsaan

Just taken some codeine and the shaking has stopped. I can type properly now. I felt I should reinstate as I was constantly dizzy and my vision was blurred.

Not sure if reinstating a tiny bit of citalopram would help. There is no one I can talk to. I am feeling very hopeless. During withdrawal the one thing that kept me sane was walking. I cant even stand up now. Will it pass or have I damaged my body beyond repair.

• Moderator Emeritus

It will pass, don't reinstate anything else until things calm down. You haven't done permanent damage but you have to be very cautious in what you do.

You have a support community here

Dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

You've had a bad reaction to the sertraline that your doc. prescribed last week.  Because your system is

so sensitized , 25mg was way too much.

This will pass , it must be a big relief that the codeine helped.

No more sertraline for you , okay?

If you want to try reinstating the citalopram that you stopped 3 months ago , wait a few days until this

"overdose" has settled.

And if you do , just go with 1 or 2 mg as suggested , so that you don't risk such a severe reaction.

You're going to be fine LJ.   Try and relax.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you so much fresh. The codeine has kicked in and although I don't feel great I have stopped twitching. How do I get through the next few days? Should I go back to the gp? Will a small dose of citalopram help? How long before this overdose wears off

• Moderator Emeritus

You can use codeine for a few days to take the edge off if you need to.  The reaction should

wash out in the next 24 - 48 hours , maybe sooner.

As Dalsaan said , don't reinstate anything else until things calm down.  It will just confuse things.

You'll know when you feel this reaction has passed.

If you have any citalopram at home , or a script , there's no need to hurry back to the doctor.

You can fill him in next time you go.

Keep us posted over the next day or two.   

If you do try reinstating citalopram it will be a tiny test dose.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thankyou for your support I am going to try and sleep I will do as you say and not reinstate anything until this feeling has passed. I will try to relax and think positive. I am not dying and I am not going crazy. I will post again soon. Thank you again xxx

Also it was 50mg sertraline. No wonder it had such a strong effect ????

• Moderator Emeritus

HI LJ,

Hope you had a good sleep and that things have improved a bit.  Paying attention to hydration usually helps people's symptoms ease a bit - I think our bodies need lots of water when they are stressed, so keep sipping. 

Hugs,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Still in bed everyone says I have flu but I am terrified. I keep having panic attacks and cant get out of bed. Is this my life now?

• Moderator Emeritus

No this isn't your life now. Thinking like that adds stress to ban already frazzled nervous system. People recover and you will too

Dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Windows and waves, LJ - just remember the wave will end.  Also, flu is a very common withdrawal-symptom. 

What are you doing to manage the anxiety?  If you are stuck in bed you could do a guided meditation, listen to music, turn around and stick your legs up the wall and focus on your breath going in and out of your stomach...  I know it's hard when things don't pass quickly, but you will get through this.  What about watching a movie? 

And during all this horrible stuff, you are healing - focus on that if you can.

Hugs,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

Had a terrible panic attack and got stuck shaking. Went to see a gp who really listened. She says I have a inner ear problem so I have drugs for that also antibiotics for sinusitis. She has given me a short course of ativan to calm me down and booked me in for a blood test in two days with hopefully a pysch review. Didn't want to take the ativan but needed a break from the panic. Hopefully I will sleep tonight. Will post again soon. Thank you for your support xxxx

Ps didn't explain that very well I totally lost my mind this morning couldn't focus couldn't even breath then had a shaking episode that lasted about 2 hours.

• Moderator Emeritus

You are not dying and you are not going crazy LJ.   The episode was from the drugs/withdrawal.

Each episode passes , and doesn't actually hurt you.  They are just sensations and thoughts.

Antibiotics can set off dreadful reactions for sensitive folks like us.  Ask Muddles her experience.

I would stay away from them if at all possible.  

What drugs did your gp give you for you "inner ear problem" ?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Cyclizine hydrochloride

I have had problems with my left ear for ages so it does make sense. They won't even consider w/d so I am going to have to go along with them for now. Hopefully if I get to see a psychiatrist I will be able to convince them.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just to throw my two cents in, I've had ear problems, mostly in my left ear, since I started tapering.  Even before tapering I had minor ear issues (every so often got my doc to check and she couldn't find anything wrong).  But I started researching for myself and found that sore ears, jaw-tension and stress are all related.  That led me to focus on releasing jaw tension (great videos on you-tube) which has helped alot. 

Sometimes my left ear feels like it is drilling a hole through my head towards my right ear.  Horrid.  But I've found it's managable with relaxation techniques. 

So I reckon it could be like your doctor says and be fixable with medicine, or it could just be another withdrawal-symptom. 

And for what it's worth, you don't have to go along with your doctors - they should be listening to you about your health.  You are in charge of you.  Psychiatrist may not know any better either, so you really might have to start to take control in order to start your healing.

KarenB

8 month hold.

I was a bit wary about the ear diagnosis but I have suffered with ear problems for a long time so I am willing to give it a go. Also had 2 tablets and feel a teeny bit better. But its early days and I am keeping an open mind. Its nice to have something other than w/d to think about.

Ps very tearful this morning but no panic attack (yet)

Had a good day yesterday managed to eat more than once and felt quite positive the ativan controlled the trembling and I was able to sit and watch tv.

Went to see the gp. What a waste of time he refused to do any blood tests for thyroid/hormones etc and totally dismissed my ear problem as causing panic attacks. He eventually disagreed with everything the other nurse had told me and asked what drugs I wanted. I am not surprised by this but it really upset me. Where do I go from here he has suggested talking therapy but the other nursed stressed how important it is for me to be monitored during my recovery process. I am still debating reinstating a tiny dose of citalopram but if a lot of the confusion and panic is coming from my ear wont the cit really mess me up?

Anybody have any experience with the NHS mental health self referral?

• Moderator Emeritus

I think that when the doctor is so clearly unhelpful and unbothered by your situation, it is time to choose a new doctor.  Even only so-so doctors can muster up a bit of compassion sometimes.  I'm completely ignorant about how the public-health system in your country works, but is it not possible to have talking-therapy as well as a different doctor who can prescribe and keep an eye on you when you want it? 

8 month hold.

Karen the Drs here know nothing about mental health. We are registered with a surgery and we are stuck with what we are given. Accessing mental health services is a minefield trying to find the right service. I am currently trying to find a GP with a little mental health background and looking into what service would suit me and maybe having to pay private but as I am not working money is a problem.

Thank you for your advice really dizzy today so typing is hard xxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LJ,

I've been reading through your thread and have to say I'm concerned about you and the situation you're in. You really do need to find a doctor who will listen to you, either that, or spend some time learning the truth about these drugs and then take responsibility for your own decisions about your own health. I can see you're trying to do that, which is good.

Have a look at some of the videos listed in my signature.

Another thing I'm worried about is this:

She has given me a short course of ativan to calm me down

Had a good day yesterday managed to eat more than once and felt quite positive the ativan controlled the trembling and I was able to sit and watch tv.

Please be careful with the ativan, its true it may calm you down temporarily, but its easy to become addicted/dependent on it if taken regularly, in as little as 2 weeks, then that will also need to be tapered in order to avoid withdrawal symptoms. A nervous system sensitized by withdrawal will become dependent much easier than a healthy nervous system.

I got addicted to xanax in this way, by taking it to manage lexapro withdrawal. I didn't know what was going on at the time though, I hadn't found this site yet.

You don't want to be in withdrawal from both an antidepressant and a benzo.

Most GPs understand very little about how these drugs actually work, they aren't trained about them in medical school. Psychiatrists are trained to diagnose groups of symptoms into invented illnesses and prescribe drugs to suppress those symptoms. Often, the prescribed drugs make things much worse over time. It can be difficult to find a medical practitioner who is really capable of helping, even though most of them do have good intentions.

Here is something written by one of our moderators which may help you understand what's happening.

how drugs change our brains

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you for your advice. I was very wary about taking ativan but in the end I decided i just wanted to sleep. I have had a strange few days. Really all over the place then I had a reflexology massage and then slept for about 14 hours. Since then I have felt much more together and able to relax. Still taking a low dose of ativan but currently tapering. I realise that I need cbt therapy or counselling instead of meds but not sure how long that will take on the NHS.

This time last week I thought I was dying and today I managed a bit of housework a dog walk and only one crying session. Today was a good day.

I can really recommend reflexology it fixed the dizziness and he said my adrenal gland was blocked. Havnt had a panic attack since.

So after much agonising I decided to try reinstating citalopram. About 3 hours ago I took 2.5mg. This was the smallest I could brew the tablet up and be consistent. I think I feel better already is that crazy for it to work so quickly? I felt very yawny for a bit but now I feel less anxious and twitchy. My thoughts are much clearer.

How long should I stay on this dose? Not sure what to do now.

Felt slightly better today. No crying yet. Citalopram tummy this morning but I am used to that. I am really struggling with my vision. I have read other peoples stories about vision problems so I know it is w/d but I used to read all the time I feel brain dead not being able to read. Not sure if I am taking enough cit but I realise it can take up to 4 dayy.

Any words of advice would be appreciated. Feel so utterly worn out today.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, LJ.

Sorry to hear you are having some trouble with reading.  I have some vision problems and, as you know, it is the w/d.  What exactly are you having trouble with?  I have found that, even though I don't usually need reading glasses, that using slight magnifying glasses makes reading a LOT easier.  Plus, it allows for some "different looks" that can make you feel good about changing things up (not kidding about that).

As far as the RI you did at 2.5, while it is hard, give it 4-5 days and see how you are feeling.  It can be tempting to "tinker" to try to make things immediately better, but, as you are aware from your post, you need to let it get to a steady state in the bloodstream.

Hopefully, this will even out and you will feel better more consistently.

Hope things improve!

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thanks Andy. Just a bit of confirmation that I am doing the right thing. It is so hard being in the muddled state. No one believes that it is withdrawal and I am having to fight very hard to keep the dose low.

My eye sight has improved a lot I had complete double vision for about 10 days.

Feel very strange this morning. Jittery and hot.

Had reflexology again last night which helped but couldn't sleep very well. The usual racing thoughts and churning stomach. Thought about suicide again this morning. I know it must be the cit because I never have before.

I suppose I just need to ride it out.

LJ,

If I were you I would hold for a good while, until your nervous system settles down . http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2364-the-slowness-of-slow-tapers/

You might even consider a micro - taper. Some have had success with that.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2878-micro-taper-instead-of-10-or-5-decreases/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2023-tips-for-tapering-off-celexa-citalopram/?pid=19887#entry19887

I hope this helps.

Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Great info Ali i have struggling to break the tablet up accurately so I can now try a water solution. Thank you. Xxx