LJ2015 - II am struggling today...

LJ2015

• Moderator Emeritus

So LJ - how are you going? 

Your last post sounds like you are preparing a taper - but your sig says you quit in Aug 2015 - can you please help?

I hope to hear you are doing well.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LJ2015

• dalsaan

• KarenB

• Fresh

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to post an update but not sure where to start. After seeing six different doctors I was convinced that I was suffering anxiety and depression and was advised that I would need to be on medication for life. I was devastated and agonised over the decision to go back on. Nobody would accept it was withdrawal or even discuss a taper plan. I was not in my right mind at this time and frankly incapable of making these kinds of decisions.

At the beginning of December I was started back on citalopram 20 mg plus beta blockers 3 times a day. After four weeks I had stopped shaking I could eat and sleep again and the morning terror attacks had stopped but I couldn't leave the house I was angry all the time and my jaw was clamped shut resulting in constant jaw pain. Just before Christmas I visited the doctor again who suggested I increase the dose of citalopram. I refused and he switched me on to sertraline 50 mg. I switched right away from citalopram to sertraline. Over Christmas i was in agony with pan on the left side of my face which I put down to the switch. At the beginning of Jan I had an appointment with a psychiatrist come through for the beginning of Feb. I was anxious to discuss my medication and which dose I should be on. Over the course of January I started to feel slightly better as the physical symptoms lessened. At the end of jan I had to visit my GP again for more tablets and again was encouraged to increase the dosage. Not trusting the GP I decided to wait for my appointment with the psychiatrist who I felt would be more qualified to help me.

I attended the psychiatrist appointment not expecting much. After about yen minutes of listening to me mumble and um and urr for a while he completely agreed that I was suffering from withdrawal and felt that I should never have been prescribed these drugs. He was amazed that I was given beta blockers (another thing I have got to get off). He was also angry but not surprised when I told him the Dr wanted me to take more. I was speechless. All these months of convincing myself I had "depression". After a while he agreed that I should do a slow taper. He advised me to half the dose immediately which I did on 1st Feb going from 50 to 25 mg. This was too much too fast I felt the effects within four days. I went back up to taking 3 quarters of the tablet and have felt better for the last few weeks so this week I dropped down to a half but again I feel this is too quick so I am going to try cutting the quarters in half. The problem with these tablets is that they are very hard to break up accurately. I have bought a pill cutter but end up throwing most of the tablet out. The psychiatrist was not keen on trying to break these pills up which was why he suggested a drop to half for a month then every other day for a month etc but I know this is too fast so I am trying for a wait of 6 weeks before changing as this is how long it seems to take for my body to adjust. There is no rush for me to come off these tablets and having suffered months of withdrawal after going cold turkey I have accepted that it will take as much time as it needs I cant go too slow but I can go too fast. I am very aware of my symptoms and how the drop in dose affects me but at least I know what it is now and so I can manage it. On my darkest days I try to think of it more like an illegal drug withdrawal as there is not much difference really.

One of my biggest fears is that I do not know who I will be at the end of this journey. I used to think that I needed these drugs but I have been able to see how much harm they have done to me over the years. I am not a better person on the antidepressants and I have learnt that being manic is not being happy as I used to believe. I do think that whoever I become it will at least be real and it is my choice what I do from now on.

I have terrible days and not so bad days (I used to count Manic days as good but now I know better?). I cant work and I am really struggling to support myself but I have just got to give it time. Nothing is more important at the moment.

I will try to update as I can and if anybody needs to talk please pm me.

(sorry for the selling mistakes I am typing on my phone)

Started Contraceptive pill at 14 years of age

Started Prozac 1998 Various different anti-depressants  including Sertraline

contraceptive pill stopped 2010 - given mini-pill - stopped due to no periods

Injured back 2010 - given Co-codamol for back pain

Started Mirtazapine 2011 - intolerance to Mirtazapine (suicidal thoughts, weight gain, memory problems

Changed to Citalopram 20mg - reduced to 10mg after a while

2013 - given Diazepam 2mg - for anxiety to be taken as and when (I abused them)

taken anti-histamines for years for sinus problems

August 2015 - after small tapering stopped taking citalopram

Cut down on Co-codamol stopped taking anti-histamines

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LJ,

I'm really glad you came to update us.  You've been through a lot since we saw you last.  It sounds like you've done a lot of sorting out about what direction you want to take, which is good.  You might like to have another read in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum for ideas on building up strength and ways to manage things.  The more goodness you can build into your life, the more supported you will feel when things get tricky. 

Oh - could you update your signature with the latest changes?  Thanks.

Holding for 6 weeks sounds like a good plan.  If cutting is too inaccurate, you could try making a liquid, see Tips for tapering Sertraline.

Best wishes,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you for your comments. I am going to try making a liquid solution for the next few tapers I will let you know how I get on.

Started Contraceptive pill at 14 years of age

Started Prozac 1998 Various different anti-depressants  including Sertraline

contraceptive pill stopped 2010 - given mini-pill - stopped due to no periods

Injured back 2010 - given Co-codamol for back pain

Started Mirtazapine 2011 - intolerance to Mirtazapine (suicidal thoughts, weight gain, memory problems

Changed to Citalopram 20mg - reduced to 10mg after a while

2013 - given Diazepam 2mg - for anxiety to be taken as and when (I abused them)

taken anti-histamines for years for sinus problems

August 2015 - after small tapering stopped taking citalopram

Cut down on Co-codamol stopped taking anti-histamines