☼ ChessieCat: so I'm not the only one (Pristiq / desvenlafaxine)

ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for dropping in Carmie and eymen.

No, I hadn't heard of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.  Thank you for sharing it.

I had the most uninterrupted night of sleep last night for quite a while.  Even though I got up twice during the night, I didn't feel the need to listen to my mp3 like I usually do and was able to get back to sleep reasonably quickly.  And I had a pleasant surprise when I woke up and it was 7 am.  I've been regularly waking up at any time from about 4.30 am so it made a very nice change.

A few nights ago I started using the count backwards from 1,000 that a member mentioned recently.  I don't worry about saying the full number (nine hundred and ninety-nine) I just shorten it (nine, nine, nine, nine) and visualise the number.

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

11 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Thanks for dropping in Carmie and eymen.

No, I hadn't heard of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.  Thank you for sharing it.

I had the most uninterrupted night of sleep last night for quite a while.  Even though I got up twice during the night, I didn't feel the need to listen to my mp3 like I usually do and was able to get back to sleep reasonably quickly.  And I had a pleasant surprise when I woke up and it was 7 am.  I've been regularly waking up at any time from about 4.30 am so it made a very nice change.

A few nights ago I started using the count backwards from 1,000 that a member mentioned recently.  I don't worry about saying the full number (nine hundred and ninety-nine) I just shorten it (nine, nine, nine, nine) and visualise the number.

Hi CC. One of the areas that I am most affected by wd is sleep. Especially falling off to sleep. Do you find the counting method beneficial ?

Dosulepin 75 mgs per night since 1993.           Dosulepin March 16  2018   75mgs and 50 mgs alternate nights.             Dosulepin. March 30. 2018.  50 mgs per night

Dosulepin. May 2. 2018. 50mgs and 25 mgs alternate nights

Dosulepin. May 27 2018. 50 mgs per night ( increased )

Dosulepin. July 11 2018. 45 mgs per night

Dosulepin. August 13 2018  40 mgs per night

Dosulepin  October 10 2018. 37.5 mgs per night

Dosulepin. October. 24 2018. 35 mgs per night

Dosulepin. December 5 2018. 32.5 mgs per night

Dosulepin.  January 2. 2018  30mgs per night   February 14 2018  29 mgs per night

Dosulepin February 27  28 mgs per night

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Steve, I've posted in your topic.

I've only just started to use it.  The problem I have is that after getting up for a bathroom visit I find that I can't still my mind.  It seems to go in to overdrive and then it can bring on a bit of anxiety.  That's why I started listening to audios on my mp3 and would be awake for at least another hour, and often dozing off with it still on.  The trouble is that it would sometimes then rouse me up again.  I realised that I might be creating a bad pattern for myself and have tried to not listen to the mp3 but my thoughts would always start again so after reading about the backwards counting I decided to try that instead of the mp3.  It does seem to be helping.

I just decided to google about counting backwards for sleep and found this:  when-counting-sheep-doesnt-work-try-this-word-game-to-fall-asleep

"When you are lying awake, unable to fall asleep, traditional advice says to count sheep. But if you find yourself still sleepless after counting livestock, try this sleep trick backed by cognitive science on how to purposefully scramble your thoughts until you can fall asleep.

Canadian cognitive scientist Luc Beaudoin calls his solution “cognitive shuffling,” or serial diverse imagining. It’s a technique where you play a word game to shuffle your thoughts into random images and words to encourage your brain to fall asleep."

Basically it is thinking of a word, eg bird, and picturing it 🐦

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

That’s great you had a night of interrupted sleep ChessieCat, 

I hope you have many more. I wonder how far you get in counting backwards from 1,000. Keep counting! 💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Haven't been doing much counting.  But I do seem to be getting to sleep a bit easier than I used to since I don't seem to get the brain chattering as much now.

Well another 3 weeks of my life has gone, which means today I reduced to 4.5mg.  95.5% reduction of my original dose.  Looks much better seeing it written that way.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi ChessieCat, 

You’re doing so well. 👏👏 It certainly is a great way to look at withdrawals, to see how far we’ve come, instead of how far we still have to go. 95.5% down from what you were on, that is a major accomplishment! Glad you’re sleeping a bit better too. 

All the best with your latest reduction💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi ChessieCat, 

How have you been doing? What have you been up to? I hope all is going well with your latest drop.

Have a nice weekend💚

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Someone asked me about my MSG intolerance so instead of cluttering their topic I'm posting it here:

MSG intolerance - before ADs.  But MSG (aka flavour enhancer) is a neurotoxin.  It tricks the brain into thinking things taste better than they do.  I got hooked on Pringles Sour Cream and Chive chips.  I had at least 2 instances of anaphylaxis which I didn't realise at the time what it was and it wasn't until after that I learned that the next stage could be heart failure so didn't call an ambulance.  It got so bad that I was intolerant to natural glutamate, tomatoes, mushrooms, grapes, hard cheese, peas, corn, plums, grapes, soy sauce, spinach (that one didn't bother me - I'm not Popeye 🤣 ).  Food challenge is when you go on elimination diet (no artificial colours, flavourings and other known trigger foods - really boring) for several weeks and then introduce something new in a large quantity.  The two worst ones were cottage cheese and margarine.  However the blue dye in an allowed lemonade was fairly ghastly because I could taste the dye.  I can now eat high glutamate foods again.  I steer clear of all flavour enhancers.  If I accidentally ingest any I know the early symptoms and I have found that taking a couple of antihistamine tablets seems to work.

2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Someone asked me about my MSG intolerance so instead of cluttering their topic I'm posting it here:

MSG intolerance - before ADs.  But MSG (aka flavour enhancer) is a neurotoxin.  It tricks the brain into thinking things taste better than they do.  I got hooked on Pringles Sour Cream and Chive chips.  I had at least 2 instances of anaphylaxis which I didn't realise at the time what it was and it wasn't until after that I learned that the next stage could be heart failure so didn't call an ambulance.  It got so bad that I was intolerant to natural glutamate, tomatoes, mushrooms, grapes, hard cheese, peas, corn, plums, grapes, soy sauce, spinach (that one didn't bother me - I'm not Popeye 🤣 ).  Food challenge is when you go on elimination diet (no artificial colours, flavourings and other known trigger foods - really boring) for several weeks and then introduce something new in a large quantity.  The two worst ones were cottage cheese and margarine.  However the blue dye in an allowed lemonade was fairly ghastly because I could taste the dye.  I can now eat high glutamate foods again.  I steer clear of all flavour enhancers.  If I accidentally ingest any I know the early symptoms and I have found that taking a couple of antihistamine tablets seems to work.

Exactly what ive read about  MSG tricking the brain ,I still crave certain fast foods.the fact this chemical is there to trick you ,should be enough to run a mile.

Eating clean at the start is bland for this very reason ,there's no chemical.

Alot of people still say "is the food nice" ,the thinking needs to change to is it nutritious.

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Hi Chessie. Wishing you an easy drop to 4.5.   💜

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

2018 2.5 mg - stopped by Dr./Reinstated, up-dosed to 7.5 mg

04/19 Began BM slide @7.5 mg

CURRENT  0.34 mg 🌼

"If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."

Mark 9:23

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi PB and mdwstrx, thanks for stopping by.

My drop to 4.5mg has gone well and I'm due to drop to 4.25mg on Saturday.

Thankfully the heat where I am is starting to relent.  It's been fairly bad since Christmas.  Still getting the odd hot day but it seems to cool off more during the night.  Since the beginning of the year I've worked from home on the hot days and my sleep has been disrupted and I've been sleeping when I can, so on the whole my entire routine is out of whack at the moment.  It's gradually starting to get straightened out and I no longer have the "over it" feeling that I had at the end of last week.  Hopefully over the next few night I'll be able to get my sleep pattern back to being more normal.

Just noting for my own information.  Had a fast food chicken roll with gravy for lunch yesterday and later felt nauseous.  It did pass.  However I had the same feeling during the morning after my normal breakfast today.  Not sure if it's related to withdrawal, a bit of stress, bug or something else.  Felt okay after lunch today but starting to get a little bit of the same feeling now after having eaten 2 hours ago.

And a happy valentine's day to all.    @)--}--}--

• Moderator Emeritus

Noticed some mild nausea on the way to work at about the same distance on my trip.  Didn't last for long.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've discovered something by accident.  Recently I've had trouble with thought loops running through my mind, even to the extent of having a theoretical conversation about something that probably would never have taken place.

I've also been listening to some cute and cleverly written children's songs and I've been playing them when driving and learning the lyrics.  My thought loops have been replaced with the songs.  And because there are a lot of songs with catchy tunes and clever lyrics they tend to change throughout the day.  I've even found myself singing them out loud, and actually got asked to stop singing at work today (very nicely), not realising that my voice was carrying around the office.

The artist is Don Spencer and I am amazed at the words he manages to rhyme.  There are lots of his songs on YouTube.

So in fact it's actually working in multiple areas:  replacing the thought loops, lifting my mood, helping my memory and using my brain, singing which I've heard it good for us, makes me laugh, and I'm more relaxed when driving.

On 2/15/2019 at 1:32 AM, ChessieCat said:

The artist is Don Spencer and I am amazed at the words he manages to rhyme

I am currently listening to Feathers, Fur or Fins - he can sing, too! thank you for the suggestion. 

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

On 2/15/2019 at 10:32 PM, ChessieCat said:

The artist is Don Spencer and I am amazed at the words he manages to rhyme.  There are lots of his songs on YouTube.

So in fact it's actually working in multiple areas:  replacing the thought loops, lifting my mood, helping my memory and using my brain, singing which I've heard it good for us, makes me laugh, and I'm more relaxed when driving.

Hello ChessieCat

Hmmm, maybe I'll have a listen to these songs.  ACT therapy has a similar exercise as one of its thought defusion techniques - when an unhelpful thought arises, try singing it to a simple/catchy tune.  I've tried it but haven't seen much defusion yet (it actually seems to fuse me to the thought more) but I can keep practicing and maybe Dpn's tunes will be more engaging than happy birthday.

Glad you've found a new tool for your resource kit.

Neroli 💜

2006 Citalopram 20mg on and off to 2013.  April 2013 - July 2014  Sertraline, Venlafaxine, Fluoxetine, Mirtazapine v. bad reactions. July 2014 - CT Mirtazapine.  July 2014 - February 2016 Medication free, long term w/d.  February - July 2016 Fluoxetine.  Medication free, long term w/d syndrome.  2017 Jan physical breakdown.

2017 February - March Escitalopram, Nortriptyline instated.  Lorazepam, Zopiclone PRN.  April 2017 Lithium Carbonate 250mg 1 wk. 14 August 2017 finish cross to Diazepam 22.5mg daily, stop Zopiclone

Tapers:

Diazepam 

2017 21 August - 30 Dec 21.25mg to 14.5mg 2018 6 Jan - 11 May to 12mg.  2 June updose to 12.25mg - hold. 2019 (0.5mg cuts) 12 Jan - 28 Dec 12mg to 10mg 2020 (0.25mg cuts) - 25 Jan - 29 Dec 9.75mg to 6.25mg 2021 *May have bungled dose and accidentally took 1mg more for about a month (7.25mg), so 4 Jan started again at 6.5mg; 19 Jan 6.25mg; 1 Feb 6.0mg; 23 Feb 5.75mg; 9 Mar 5.5mg; 23 Mar 5.25mg; 9 Apr 5.0mg; 6 May 4.75mg; 13 May 4.5mg; 6 Jun 4mg; 12 July 3.5mg; 2 sep 3.0mg; 15 Sep 2.5mg; 1 Nov 2mg; 15 Nov 1.5mg; 16 Dec 1mg; 26 Dec 0.5mg; 2022 1 Jan - OFF

Escitalopram - 2022 1 Mar to 9mg; 29 Mar 8mg; 24 May 7mg; 21 Jun 5mg; 19 Jul 4mg; 1 Sep 3mg; 23 Sep 2.5mg; 31 Oct 1.5mg; 22 Nov 0.5mg; 2023 1 Jan 0.25mg; 1 Mar OFF

Nortriptyline  2018 90mg to 2020 1 Dec down to 72.5mg; 2021 20 May 70mg; 8 Jun 67.5mg; 24 Jun 65mg; 31 July 60mg; 12 Oct 55mg; 23 Oct 50mg; 2022 13 Jan 40mg; 22 Jan 30mg; 29 Mar 20mg; 26 Apr 10mg; 3 Aug 5mg; 23 Sep 2.5mg; 2023 1 Jan - OFF

1 March 2023 - off all drugs - 6-year taper off three drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

For anyone who is interested, I've categorised the Don Spencer songs.  Some of them are more suited to Australian members, but there plenty of others which are just really good songs, even though they have an Australian flavour.

Song title links to Youtube song

Lyrics link = PDF of lyrics

ALBUM                                     SONG

Songs that I've caught myself singing to:

Australia for Kids                   Bob the Kelpie     lyrics

Australia for Kids                   Rain

Australia for Kids                   Out the Back

Australia for Kids                   She'll Be Right

Australia for Kids                   ABC of Australia     lyrics

Australian Animal Songs     Tasmanian Devil     lyrics

Australian Animal Songs     Lizards of Oz

Australian Animal Songs     Aussie Mossie     lyrics

Australian Animal Songs     The Owl

Australian Animal Songs     Hanging Around Flying Fox      lyrics

Australian Animal Songs     Crocodile     lyrics

Feathers Fur or Fins             Don't Ever Step on a Snake     lyrics

Feathers Fur or Fins             Please Don’t Call Me a Koala Bear     alternative link with koalas

Feathers Fur or Fins             Kookaburra

Feathers Fur or Fins             Sh Sh Sugar Glider

Feathers Fur or Fins             I'm an Aussie Shark

Have a Beaut Day                 Jaws and Teeth      lyrics

Songs I like singing along to when I'm driving, plus the above:

Australia for Kids                   Boomerang      lyrics

Australia for Kids                   A-U-S-T-R-A-L-I-A     lyrics

Australia for Kids                   Captain Cook     lyrics

Australia for Kids                   Aussie Boys and Aussie Girls     lyrics

Australian Animal Songs     It's a Marsupial     lyrics

Australian Animal Songs     We've Got

Cooee                                      Cooee Song     lyrics

Cooee                                      Didgeridoo Song     lyrics

Cooee                                      Home Among the Gum Trees

Cooee                                     Tie Me Kangaroo Down

Cooee                                     Botany Bay

Feathers Fur or Fins             Kangaroo the Super Marsupial

Feathers Fur or Fins             I Love My Echidna     lyrics

Feathers Fur or Fins             Where Does a Goanna Go?

Have a Beaut Day                 The Flying Doctor      lyrics

Have a Beaut Day                 Pete the Lorikeet

Have a Beaut Day                 Parrot Fashion

Have a Beaut Day                 Fishing Suits Me Fine     lyrics

Have a Beaut Day                 Have a Beaut Day!

Walkabout                              Eggs

Walkabout                              My Big Jazz Band

Other songs:

Australia for Kids                   Sunshine

Australian Animal Songs      Possum

Australian Animal Songs      Fairy Penguin Strut

Australian Animal Songs      The Smart Galah

Cooee                                     Waltzing Matilda

Feathers Fur or Fins            He's a Cockatoo     lyrics

Feathers Fur or Fins            Warts n All the Cane Toad

Feathers Fur or Fins            Emu     lyrics

Feathers Fur or Fins           Feathers Fur or Fins     lyrics

Feathers Fur or Fins           Dig Dig Dig Like a Wombat      lyrics

Feathers Fur or Fins           Black Swan Shadow on the Water

Feathers Fur or Fins           A Platypus Song     lyrics

Have a Beaut Day               Bush Tucker      lyrics

Have a Beaut Day               Flowers      lyrics

Have a Beaut Day               Stand Up

Have a Beaut Day              In the Garden

Have a Beaut Day              So Much More to See

Have a Beaut Day              Cowboy Song     lyrics

Have a Beaut Day              The Laughing Song

Have a Beaut Day              Old Steam Train

Have a Beaut Day              The Cat

Have a Beaut Day              The Barrier Reef

Walkabout                          Walkabout

Walkabout                          Thumbs Up

Walkabout                          Flying My Kite

Walkabout                          Backyard Birdbath     lyrics

Walkabout                          The Weather Song

Walkabout                          The Solar Powered Practical Combustible Compactable Responsibly Recyclable Machine

Walkabout                          Red Dirt Roadway

Walkabout                          The Great Australian Bite

Walkabout                          Panda

Walkabout                          Trees

Edited by ChessieCat
added links to lyrics

• Moderator Emeritus

I've added links to the songs and a link to the lyrics which I've found online.

• Moderator Emeritus

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

On 2/15/2019 at 1:32 AM, ChessieCat said:

I've discovered something by accident.  Recently I've had trouble with thought loops running through my mind, even to the extent of having a theoretical conversation about something that probably would never have taken place.

I've also been listening to some cute and cleverly written children's songs and I've been playing them when driving and learning the lyrics.  My thought loops have been replaced with the songs.  And because there are a lot of songs with catchy tunes and clever lyrics they tend to change throughout the day.  I've even found myself singing them out loud, and actually got asked to stop singing at work today (very nicely), not realising that my voice was carrying around the office.

CC music looping has helped me so much.its nice you found it too.i mostly listen to 80s or classical 

March-2017-Dec-2017 ativanCT /reinstated ativan 1mg tapered 2 months/June 2017-April 2018 zyprexa 10mg switched to seroquel 200-300mg in april 2018/dec-2017-present zoloft 100mg/ quit seroquel 200-300mg cold turkey May 6 2018 reinstated seroquel 100mg around May 25 2018 since then tapered to 50mg zoloft and 50 mg of seroquel presently other medications Testosterone cypionate 2oomg every 4 days

UPDATE -August 20 2018--october 20 2018 tapered off Testosterone/Nov 7 2018 --Dec 20 2018 Lamictal micro dose 2.50mg 1 1/2 weeks then reduced to 1.25 then fast tapered as it became paridoxial.nausea- racing thoughts- agitation and insomnia.

August 28 2018 to Present Cannabis indica micro dose PM bedtime only.

Presently Seroquel 37.5 mg bedtime /Zoloft 47mg morning

May 2018-Present Multivitamin/ Bcomplex/Vit C 1000MG/B12 1000MCG/Fish oils 2grams/

Jan 2019-Trace mineral liquid low dose

Update dec 2019 -29mg of zoloft tapering/Seroquel 37.5 holding/1 or 2  ativan 1mg a month as needed if that.

Black seed oil-caprylic acid-/b complex/b12/multi/D/E/melatonin

• Moderator Emeritus

1 week ago last Saturday I reduced to 4.25mg.

It's been a tiring weekend.  On Saturday I attended my grandson's 5th birthday.  Total driving time (there and back) about 5.5 hours.  Also dismantled bicycle (to fit in my newer, very small car) and packed the car the night before, and reassembled the bike after the party.  Party itself was fairly easy going.  The stress was in the lead up to it.  Was very tired that night, but woke about 3am Sunday morning and was up for 1.5 to 2 hours then back to bed until about 8am, then I had another sleep during the day.  Went to bed usual time and woke several times during the night.  Still feeling a bit blah this morning.  Hopefully having a shower will help to get rid of some of the "heaviness" I'm feeling.

I've also had a bit of an upset tummy which I'm not sure if it's a bug or the stress.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's the stress.

My non drug coping skills are working well, and I know this is temporary but will take a bit of time for things to settle down again.  I'm also very thankful that the weather has been much cooler so that hasn't made things worse, although I was sweating when working on the bike.

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow, I've been sleeping when needed and only doing the minimum.  I'm still feeling blah and my head is fuzzy and my tinnitus has increased a bit.  I've only had one or two "break through" times when I've felt almost normal.  But they were very short.  Half to 1 hour at the most.

I'm just plodding along, knowing that it will all pass, but I'm really surprised at how I've been affected and how long it's taking.  Really glad that I didn't have to go to work until Monday, but I only managed 4 hours and even doing 4 hours was tough (I supposed to do 4.5).  I felt very irritable all the time I was there.  And I'm off today and tomorrow so can rest up some more.

We had 2 months of very hot weather preceding this, so maybe I was still recovering from that.

EDITED to add:  No alcohol or caffeine consumption 😉

Edited by ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus

Something I've just thought of.  Feeling this blah has helped me to realise how "un"blah I've been feeling lately.

• Moderator Emeritus

Almost back to "normal".  Still not quite 100% but much better than the last few days.  I'm surprised at how much it has affected me.

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Something I've just thought of.  Feeling this blah has helped me to realise how "un"blah I've been feeling lately.

Every cloud..... 

Well observed Chessie. Super impressive that you’ve come this far on the taper and continued to be active. 

Edited by eymen23

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I can only provide information and make suggestions.

Hi Chessie. 

I'm sure you already know but you're a trail blazer for some of us here. 

Praying that your taper settles down and the blah feeling leaves. 

I looked at your chart and was so impressed to see how far you've come. 

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.34 mg 🌼

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys.

I've been out this morning and coped really well.  I was a bit quieter at the ladies' Bible study but did join in and have a good laugh with everyone and didn't zone out when others were talking.  Foggy head is definitely clearing and I'm able to think better.  Even went into my main suburb and didn't get irritated by anything.  It's amazing what a contrast it is to how I was feeling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Well another 3 weeks have gone and I am now down to 4mg.  I don't know which is more surprising, that my dose is so low, or that 3 weeks goes so quickly.

I had 6 capsules of 4mg dose left.  But I've decided not to use those and just go to 2mg morning and night so I don't get interdose withdrawal.  It's been working up until now and I think my morning agitation is less when splitting my dose.  Very glad that it is only 6 capsules I'm wasting, but I'd rather be cautious and not rock the boat.  As it is I'm changing from 4mg am and 0.25mg pm to 2mg morning and night, so my dosing isn't consistent.

I've recovered from my "dumping" at the end of February, but was surprised at how long it took to recover from.

I have noticed a big improvement in my ability to remember things.  One of the songs in the previously posted list has 21 flower names in the chorus and I can remember all of them in the correct order.  The ABC of Australia includes the names of Australian places, most have 2 places per letter of the alphabet so about 50 place names.  I can remember all of those.  That mightn't sound like a big thing, but up until recently I had difficulty remembering most things.  I also listen to audio books and I'm starting to remember what happened earlier in the story and remember details about the people mentioned.  I think it's a combination of getting lower on the drug plus continuing to use my brain.  I've played lots of games on the computer which I think has helped.  I noticed the other day that I'm starting to be able to think ahead more and try and work out the different options.  This was obvious when I've been sewing this week.  My thinking is much clearer.  I'm better able to brain storm and come up with solutions.

I'm still having a bit of trouble with my sleep.  If I have a rough night of intermittent sleep or early waking then I generally have to have a day time sleep, which of course means that the next night is disrupted.  I don't stress about it, just sleep whenever I can if I need to and I'm sure that it will gradually get back to a routine.

Hi Chessie.  I am so happy for you as you get down and are seeing such good improvements! 

Sorry to hear about the sleep though.  I'm sure you know this but the fish oil helped a great deal for me to sleep. 

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.34 mg 🌼

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi mdwstrx, thanks for telling me that.

I've recently stopped taking fish oil.  When I first joined SA I started taking magnesium and fish oil at the same time.  I started getting backaches but because, silly me, had started 2 new things at the same time I didn't know which was causing it, if either.  I stopped taking both and then reintroduced magnesium and was fine.  I then started fish oil, which I've been taking for 3 years.  Recently I started getting backaches again and wondered if it was the fish oil causing it, so I've stopped it for the time being to see if they go, and will reintroduce and see what happens.

The most likely cause of my sleep issues is that we had lots of hot weather over a 2 month period from Christmas time so I started sleeping whenever I could/needed.  I think that is still having an effect on my sleep because I just haven't been able to break the bad pattern.

On a positive, I did get up during the early hours of this morning and managed to go back to sleep reasonably quickly afterwards and slept for about 4 hours.  So hopefully that's a sign that things might be improving.

On a positive, I did get up during the early hours of this morning and managed to go back to sleep reasonably quickly afterwards and slept for about 4 hours.  So hopefully that's a sign that things might be improving.

sleep is so important, I hope things do and continue to improve. 🤗

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Jackie.

UPDATE:  I've made the decision to hold for an extra week this time, ie 4 instead of 3 (see link in signature for explanation of why I sometimes only hold for 3 weeks instead of 4).  I've already added the extra capsules to my containers.

There are a few reasons for this.

• The dumping I got at the end of February which took at least 1 week to recover from
  • The change in split dosing amounts from 4.25mg (4 in am + 0.25 in pm) to 4mg (2 am + 2 pm)
  • A near miss last Sunday when I nearly hit a 10-12 year old boy on a scooter who shot out across in front of me as I was about to take off from the traffic lights after they changed in my favour.
  • Ongoing sleep routine issues
  • Heat exhaustion on Christmas Day
  • Periods of high temperatures from end of December to end of February with a few odd hot days thrown in during March

Now that I have listed them it makes good sense to hold for at least an extra week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 3/12/2019 at 10:06 AM, ChessieCat said:

A near miss last Sunday when I nearly hit a 10-12 year old boy on a scooter who shot out across in front of me as I was about to take off from the traffic lights after they changed in my favour.

Five days after this incident I was nearly side swiped when changing lanes on a freeway.  I ended up in tears.  This was not my usual reaction.  I usually think wow, that was close and weren't you (the other driver) stupid.  That afternoon after work I felt nauseous when I first got onto the freeway to go home but realised what it was and did some deep breathing and it went.

Monday of this week I noticed that when walking from the railway station to work I was constantly scanning looking for danger.

Yesterday I had a couple of minor things happen when driving and I didn't have any abnormal reaction in either case so things have definitely improved when driving.

However I did notice that yesterday at work I found it very difficult to settle and wanted to be elsewhere.  After work I went for a 3 hour drive.  It wasn't quite so bad today thankfully.

I've also noticed that in the last few days I'm not getting as irritable with my cat as I had been.  She can be very contrary, wanting to get up for a cuddle then as soon as she's up she wants to get down and then not long after she wants up again and then down straight away so it can be annoying but when I'm on edge I can get very frustrated with her.  I must admit that part of me is thankful that I don't have to cope with having another human being around.

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear ChessieCat, 

I’m so sorry you’ve been going through such a hard time lately, sending lots of hugs🤗🤗

Five days after this incident I was nearly side swiped when changing lanes on a freeway.  I ended up in tears.  This was not my usual reaction.  I usually think wow, that was close and weren't you (the other driver) stupid.  That afternoon after work I felt nauseous when I first got onto the freeway to go home but realised what it was and did some deep breathing and it went.

after two such scary incidents I really really admire you can keep on driving! good for you! 

Hello ChessieCat

Good to hear that things may be improving after a rough ride.  Let's hope this week is more on an even keel and that you are stabilising from the drop.

I must say the heat at night causes me unsettled sleep, so let's hope that now it's getting to autumn things will cool down a bit (yet I see on our weather forecast that there are a few hot nights predicted for us - probably nothing compared to what you get, thought0.

Love and best wishes

Neroli x 💜

2006 Citalopram 20mg on and off to 2013.  April 2013 - July 2014  Sertraline, Venlafaxine, Fluoxetine, Mirtazapine v. bad reactions. July 2014 - CT Mirtazapine.  July 2014 - February 2016 Medication free, long term w/d.  February - July 2016 Fluoxetine.  Medication free, long term w/d syndrome.  2017 Jan physical breakdown.

2017 February - March Escitalopram, Nortriptyline instated.  Lorazepam, Zopiclone PRN.  April 2017 Lithium Carbonate 250mg 1 wk. 14 August 2017 finish cross to Diazepam 22.5mg daily, stop Zopiclone

Tapers:

Diazepam 

2017 21 August - 30 Dec 21.25mg to 14.5mg 2018 6 Jan - 11 May to 12mg.  2 June updose to 12.25mg - hold. 2019 (0.5mg cuts) 12 Jan - 28 Dec 12mg to 10mg 2020 (0.25mg cuts) - 25 Jan - 29 Dec 9.75mg to 6.25mg 2021 *May have bungled dose and accidentally took 1mg more for about a month (7.25mg), so 4 Jan started again at 6.5mg; 19 Jan 6.25mg; 1 Feb 6.0mg; 23 Feb 5.75mg; 9 Mar 5.5mg; 23 Mar 5.25mg; 9 Apr 5.0mg; 6 May 4.75mg; 13 May 4.5mg; 6 Jun 4mg; 12 July 3.5mg; 2 sep 3.0mg; 15 Sep 2.5mg; 1 Nov 2mg; 15 Nov 1.5mg; 16 Dec 1mg; 26 Dec 0.5mg; 2022 1 Jan - OFF

Escitalopram - 2022 1 Mar to 9mg; 29 Mar 8mg; 24 May 7mg; 21 Jun 5mg; 19 Jul 4mg; 1 Sep 3mg; 23 Sep 2.5mg; 31 Oct 1.5mg; 22 Nov 0.5mg; 2023 1 Jan 0.25mg; 1 Mar OFF

Nortriptyline  2018 90mg to 2020 1 Dec down to 72.5mg; 2021 20 May 70mg; 8 Jun 67.5mg; 24 Jun 65mg; 31 July 60mg; 12 Oct 55mg; 23 Oct 50mg; 2022 13 Jan 40mg; 22 Jan 30mg; 29 Mar 20mg; 26 Apr 10mg; 3 Aug 5mg; 23 Sep 2.5mg; 2023 1 Jan - OFF

1 March 2023 - off all drugs - 6-year taper off three drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you "guys".

UPDATE:  Seems like the cause of the hives is cabbage.  It is high in histamine.  When I first ate it I got hives but over summer I have been eating coleslaw regularly and had no issues.  It's been a couple of weeks since I had any and I've eaten it the last 2 days and have hives again this morning.