SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

uncomfortablynumb: withdrawal symptoms or anxiety / depression

uncomfortablynumb

amendment to my previous post.  re homeopathy,  I meant coffea cruda and spell check changed it.  it is the remedy I have seen recommended the most though I haven't taken it.  I hope you know that homeopathy is sugar pills and it makes no sense at all why it works but sometimes it really does.   I experienced this in an emergency with extreme tooth pain for a whole night in which I was away from civilization and could get no help other than these silly pills. all night I sucked on one after another and got through it.

Edited by scallywag
last merged post

many years ago given sinequan for depression bad reaction so tiny dose of meleril to balance... quit after a year or so c/t

years pass no drugs

reg doc had me try all of the  a/d bc of upset due to divorce.  couldn't handle any.  took klonopin to sleep .5 mg  2003

taper klonopin

hooked on tramadol accidentally. 2006-2008 husband had migraines and took them like candy. so i became dependent too.  c/t  2008

diagnosis of porphyria after years of symptoms,  then toxic event made me really ill.

gabapentin 300mg every 3 hours , 6x day.

propranolol   180 mg  6x / day

since 2012

clonazepam prescribed as 1 mg / day  but beginning to take more to deal with withdrawals and sleeplessness

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uncomfortablynumb

• Mort81

• Altostrata

• Mirthazard

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone experience total insomnia for an extended time? My body shows no sign that it can fall asleep on its own - a constant wired hyper-aroused state. Scared for my life and cannot function. Are there tests I should get done to rule anything out? I am barely hanging on.

2006-15 Effexor on and off mostly on. Also tried drugs that didn't work; notriptyline, Celexa, Zoloft, Welbutrin, Abilify, Pristiq, Cymbalta. Weaned off Effexor for last time quickly (2015) - horrible depression, anxiety, and insomnia.
Remeron (2016) helped wd symptoms. 
2017 - tapered off Rem over a few mths. Horrible wd symptoms with insomnia. Reinstating Remeron fail. For wd insomnia tried: Trazodone, Elavil, Gabapentin, Seroquel, Doxepin, Valium. Failed. 2mg Ativan at bed intermittent use 4mth.
CT Ativan - off all meds June '17.  Recovered by Oct '17 - well for a yr.
Oct '18-now. Major stresses, drank alcohol. In hell -insomnia, dp/dr, head pressure, anhedonia, no emotions, blank mind.
May/June '19 - 16 doses Rem CT, 10 doses 2mg Ativan. CT

Recovered Oct 2020-June 2022 - fully functional, working.  Only left with head pressure.

Major stresses - mainly financial, living space, relationship - severe insomnia, severe anxiety, depression, dp/dr, emotional numbness, blank mind

Sept 2022 - for sleep - took 8 doses of 15mg Remeron, 3 doses of 7.5mg, 3 doses of 3.75mg, 3 doses of 1.875mg

That sounds hard. Are you sleeping at least some hours per night, or not even that?. I don't know what to say.. I think a more experienced moderator should answer you.

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

None at all. And I have to take an occasional ativan to just knock me out and gives crap light sleep. Really don't want to take it.

2006-15 Effexor on and off mostly on. Also tried drugs that didn't work; notriptyline, Celexa, Zoloft, Welbutrin, Abilify, Pristiq, Cymbalta. Weaned off Effexor for last time quickly (2015) - horrible depression, anxiety, and insomnia.
2017 - tapered off Rem over a few mths. Horrible wd symptoms with insomnia. Reinstating Remeron fail. For wd insomnia tried: Trazodone, Elavil, Gabapentin, Seroquel, Doxepin, Valium. Failed. 2mg Ativan at bed intermittent use 4mth.
Oct '18-now. Major stresses, drank alcohol. In hell -insomnia, dp/dr, head pressure, anhedonia, no emotions, blank mind.

Recovered Oct 2020-June 2022 - fully functional, working.  Only left with head pressure.

Major stresses - mainly financial, living space, relationship - severe insomnia, severe anxiety, depression, dp/dr, emotional numbness, blank mind

Sept 2022 - for sleep - took 8 doses of 15mg Remeron, 3 doses of 7.5mg, 3 doses of 3.75mg, 3 doses of 1.875mg

• Administrator

This is a very common withdrawal syndrome symptom.

See Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia..

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have tried a whole bunch of natural options without success. I just don't know what to do. Trying to reinstate Remeron at this point is probably not an option? Is this unmasked Effexor withdrawal on top of everything? If my only other option is waiting this out, I don't know if I can. If I was getting an hour or two of sleep, maybe. But not getting any and there is no sign that my body can fall asleep on its own. Such a scary situation that I wonder if there is permanent damage.

I have tried a whole bunch of natural options without success. I just don't know what to do. Trying to reinstate Remeron at this point is probably not an option? Is this unmasked Effexor withdrawal on top of everything? If my only other option is waiting this out, I don't know if I can. If I was getting an hour or two of sleep, maybe. But not getting any and there is no sign that my body can fall asleep on its own. Such a scary situation that I wonder if there is permanent damage.

hi my heart bleeds for you ,please don't think about permanent damage there is no proof .I generally sleep ,not sure of the quality because of vivid nightmares lately ,I notice if I'm over anxious I make sure to get a walk in the evening  and burn some of it off .

we have to be careful of our worry and thoughts consuming us.

I swear by mindfulness ,it works with practice .being aware of our thoughts before they become feelings is a massive progress in wellbeing .

peace and respect

PB 

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

I have been having terrible insomnia since last September. Getting to sleep and staying asleep is so difficult. I struggle with it and then worry and get anxiety about the toll it's taking on my health. Lately my goal is to let those worries go. It's hard sometimes because if I feel extremely exhausted that upsets my nervous system too.

I can't tell you total solutions because what I'm doing isn't working perfectly but it's alleviating the stress surrounding the night somewhat.

Sleep hygiene is first thing. Shut off computers, television and even get the lighting down. Get rid of noise, busy activities and distractions. At least one hour before bedtime (and set a consistent bedtime) shut it all down. No exercise, no going anywhere. Just home and quiet. Don't engage in challenging conversations or try and do any work or pay bills etc..

Having an Epsom salt soak 1 or more hours before bed helps alot. The effect of raising and lowering your temperature from the bath triggers sleep.

Keep cool room and dark. Use an eye mask if your curtains are letting light in.

I break the technology rule alot. If I'm not sleep I use my phone (with a low light that won't trigger your brain to be wakeful) to access various podcasts for sleep or YouTube videos of guided meditation for sleep or anxiety. TheSe things sometimes lull me to sleep. If not they at least help keep me calmer.

Also my psychologist said remember that 'head on pillow counts' even if your not sleeping it's restful time and is still good.

I have been having terrible insomnia since last September. Getting to sleep and staying asleep is so difficult. I struggle with it and then worry and get anxiety about the toll it's taking on my health. Lately my goal is to let those worries go. It's hard sometimes because if I feel extremely exhausted that upsets my nervous system too.

I can't tell you total solutions because what I'm doing isn't working perfectly but it's alleviating the stress surrounding the night somewhat.

Sleep hygiene is first thing. Shut off computers, television and even get the lighting down. Get rid of noise, busy activities and distractions. At least one hour before bedtime (and set a consistent bedtime) shut it all down. No exercise, no going anywhere. Just home and quiet. Don't engage in challenging conversations or try and do any work or pay bills etc..

Having an Epsom salt soak 1 or more hours before bed helps alot. The effect of raising and lowering your temperature from the bath triggers sleep.

Keep cool room and dark. Use an eye mask if your curtains are letting light in.

I break the technology rule alot. If I'm not sleep I use my phone (with a low light that won't trigger your brain to be wakeful) to access various podcasts for sleep or YouTube videos of guided meditation for sleep or anxiety. TheSe things sometimes lull me to sleep. If not they at least help keep me calmer.

Also my psychologist said remember that 'head on pillow counts' even if your not sleeping it's restful time and is still good.

u seem to be fairly clued in by the looks of this post SS ,the main thing is to watch out for and be careful of the  anxiety trap that I tell myself all the time also

respect

PB

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

I know worrying doesn't help but this is totally debilitating. I haven't fallen asleep naturally in months. My body hasn't proven that it can. I know taking Ativan is not good but I wonder how long it would take to finally fall asleep. I don't know if I could survive.

I could do try and get more sun (been housebound a lot), go for walks, and maybe try Epsom salt baths. I am just so completely worn out.

i really feel your pain ,geting sun is a must ,im a fan of the epsoms baths lately . ide just keep researching about sleep as much as possible .I get debilitating headaches when I wake and I can find my mood been very angry until I deep breath and push nasty thoughts out of my  head ,as I said about mindfulness ,it makes me aware of the thoughts in my mind .

with your sleep we can worry so much it consumes us ,I totally respect its an issue but we have to exhaust all avenues .

it really is a joke how we suffer.

I really  recommend getting out when u can ,as I write this I'm testing the water with my system to  see how much of a walk I will get in .on the days I cant face the world I stick the earphones in and the shades on ,but I always feel better for it .

watch all the documentaries u can on sleep .

take care

respect

PB  

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

None at all. And I have to take an occasional ativan to just knock me out and gives crap light sleep. Really don't want to take it.

That's what I took, occasionally when dealing with the insomnia. It helped, but can also become an addiction of it's own, which I'm sure is why you do not want to take it. I stopped taking it last year and now just deal with the insomnia. It only lasts a couple days at a time for me.

Sorry you are dealing with it.

Effexor XR:

July 2008: 150mg | June 24 2015: 145mg | July 28 2015: 130.5mg | Sept 4 2015: 117mg | Nov 10 2015: 105mg

Jan 24 2016: 94.5mg | Feb 28 2016: 85mg | Mar 27 2016: 76.5mg | Apr 28 2016: 69mg | Aug 14 2016: 62mg

Jan 19 2017: 56mg | Feb 21 2017: 50mg | Mar 30 2017: 36mg | Apr 2 2017: 45mg | Sep 1 2019: 27.5mg

April 9 2020: 25.2mg | Oct 30 2021: 16.9mg | Apr 1 2023: 15.2mg | May 1 2023: 13.7mg | May 31 2023: 12.3mg

July 1 2023: 11.1mg | Aug 1st 2023: 10mg | Sep 25 2023: 9mg | Oct 25 2023: 8.1mg

Vitamins & Supplements:

MegaFood Women's Postnatal Vitamin | Metagenix D3 5000 IU | Floradix Liquid Iron

You mention that you take walks... have you tried anything more intense? I found that weight lifting helps tire the body pretty good. It also changes the chemistry in your brain, helping with depression/anxiety etc.

Effexor XR:

July 2008: 150mg | June 24 2015: 145mg | July 28 2015: 130.5mg | Sept 4 2015: 117mg | Nov 10 2015: 105mg

Jan 24 2016: 94.5mg | Feb 28 2016: 85mg | Mar 27 2016: 76.5mg | Apr 28 2016: 69mg | Aug 14 2016: 62mg

Jan 19 2017: 56mg | Feb 21 2017: 50mg | Mar 30 2017: 36mg | Apr 2 2017: 45mg | Sep 1 2019: 27.5mg

April 9 2020: 25.2mg | Oct 30 2021: 16.9mg | Apr 1 2023: 15.2mg | May 1 2023: 13.7mg | May 31 2023: 12.3mg

July 1 2023: 11.1mg | Aug 1st 2023: 10mg | Sep 25 2023: 9mg | Oct 25 2023: 8.1mg

Vitamins & Supplements:

MegaFood Women's Postnatal Vitamin | Metagenix D3 5000 IU | Floradix Liquid Iron

• Administrator

Unfortunately, extended periods of inability to sleep are not unusual in withdrawal syndrome.

Please read One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks for offering all the ideas. Is it too late to reinstatement Remeron again and wait longer? Over the months my Ativan use has become more than once a week because I was really breaking down. Now this is another problem.

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone,

I disappeared for such a long time because I was struggling horrifically with insomnia until fall of 2017.  I should have returned to let people know it can get better. I am sorry.

Everything seemed to normalize by October 2017.  Sleep crept back to 4 or 5hrs and got even better to the point of 7hrs and I could eventually nap in 2018.  

Other symptoms I experienced like depersonalization, anxiety, depression/anhedonia/emotional flatness, cognitive/memory problems also disappeared.  Head burning, pressure and crawling sensations lessened over a year drug-free but never fully went away.  

Fastforward to April 2018.  Suffered trauma of losing my father to cancer only 3 months after his diagnosis.  I seemingly handled it okay and remained working and socializing.  By October,  everything changed. Anxiety and depression hit hard and I had to stop working (and likely quit my career of over a decade) and had to move from the city I lived in my whole life. 

All of my symptoms came back strong by November.  These include: severe insomnia, depersonalization (feels detached and everything dreamlike especially in crowded areas), head pressure and all weird sensations horrible again, emotions completely gone both positive and negative, mind completely blank, and cognitive functioning as bad as ever.  

This has been going on for the past 6 months with no change in sight.  It is making me feel hopeless and suicidal.  I have been off all drugs for over a year and a half now.  I was well for a whole year.  Can this be withdrawal or from stress or PTSD?  Can stress trigger all these symptoms again?  Anyone experience this?  I really can't see the point if I can no longer experience emotions or think.  Really feel brain damaged.  

Thanks for reading.  If anyone has similar experience or insight I would be grateful.

Topic title: Thought I had recovered being almost symptom free. Now suffering greatly. Please help!

After a year without any symptoms other than head pressure and burning brain, I am suffering greatly for the past 6 months. I have been med-free for 1.75yrs.

I had traumas and stress over the past year with a death in my family and having to move and put work on hold.  I don't know if all of this triggered withdrawal or what is happening. 

I have the following: depersonalization/derealization (disconnected and things look dreamlike), emotional muting (can't feel anything, smile, laugh, or cry), extreme anhedonia, completely blank mind (absolutely no thoughts - which is disturbing), memory issues, crushing head pressure and burning/numbing sensation, and complete insomnia again (can't fall asleep at all).

Has anyone experienced the following symptoms and recovered?  

Should I be looking into EEG or MRI?  Would TMS help at all?  

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• Moderator Emeritus

This is the preferred format which allows us to glance at your history.  Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

To help us out please simplify your drug signature.  It makes is easier for us to see your drug history if it only contains drugs, dates and doses.  Thank you.

The information in your current signature is helpful so please copy and paste it into a post before simplifying it.  You can put a link in your drug signature to the current information once it is in a post.  This is the current drug signature in case you forget to do that:

10/2006 - Celexa 4 wks - not effective 10/2006 - Effexor - kicked in within 4 wks at 112mg dose. Over 3 yrs worked fairly consistently well but began having relapses of depression and anxiety. Upped dose to 150mg or 187mg and was fine. On Effexor, I was always taking workout energy supplements2009 - Effexor started pooping out and tried adding Abilify to no avail. Then tried Pristiq which also didn't help.2010 - Back on Effexor at 150mg. Surprisingly worked again, but less effective. Slowly started losing Effectiveness over 3 years.2013 - tried Zoloft, Nortriptyline, and Wellbutrin. Each separately for 4 weeks. Didn't give longer because they all were causing heart and other issues. 2014 - back to Effexor and it worked just to get me functioning. 04/2015 - off Effexor after a 2 month taper from 150mg. Was doing well for 3 months off meds but still taking pre-workout supps. 07/2015 - stopped taking my pre-workout energy supplement because I was abusing it and taking it for long periods. Stopped that cold turkey and quickly fell into depression and anxiety. 07/2015 - back on Effexor. From July to August slowly increased dose to 187mg and it didn't do anything. 09/2015 - began weaning off Effexor 37mg drops every wk. Then half of 37mg for a week to nothing on Oct. 16. Cue W/D symptoms 11/01/2015 - reinstated 37.5mg Effexor for a day and quit because it made me feel worse. Then 10 beads. Gave up. 12/01/2015 - Doc prescribed many different week trials to address insomnia Gabapentin, Seroquel, and Remeron. Settled on 15mg Remeron and was completely recovered until winter 2016. Was weaning slowly during the year. Symptoms returned especially insomnia. Reinstatement failed. After no improvement and extreme sleep deprivation March 2017, desperately tried week or less trials of trazodone, elavil, and doxepin.

Experiencing severe insomnia dizziness,headache,brain zaps. Severe anxiety and depression. Mind is mostly blank - difficulty thinking/concentrating. Hard to socialize. Poor long term memory. Depersonalization/unreal feeling. Emotional flatness. No interest or motivation.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

You might find this topic helpful:  are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

5 hours ago, uncomfortablynumb said:

I had traumas and stress over the past year with a death in my family and having to move and put work on hold.

Stress can do this.  Just over 1 month ago I nearly hit a 10-12 year old boy who stupidly crossed the road on his scooter as I started moving off when the lights went green for the cars.  Emotionally I am okay, which I think is partly due to being able to see it on my dash cam so I have not had the constant replay going through my head trying to work out what happened.  I was also fortunate to be able to talk to another driver at the petrol station who had also been at the lights and saw what happened.  However, since then my body is hyper alert.  Even walking through a shopping centre I noticed that I was looking out for sudden movements.  I'm not nervous driving, but I've been unconsciously allowing more space around the car than I previously did.

It's a good idea to regularly do some relaxation throughout the day even if you don't feel that you need it.  Once we start doing it then it becomes more second nature.  Set an alarm as a reminder.  Every little bit of relief that we can give our nervous system is helpful and the body/brain will gradually learn that there is no danger to which it think it needs to respond.

Non-drug techniques

You might find this helpful:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/understanding-the-stress-response

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• ChessieCat changed the title to uncomfortablynumb: withdrawal symptoms or anxiety / depression

Topic title:  Are these symptoms from depression and anxiety or withdrawal wave after being well for a year?

I have experienced quite a few major stressors in months - death in family, moving, and having to put work on hold.

How can you know if this is a wave of withdrawal or if symptoms are from anxiety and depression? 

I am experiencing horrific insomnia where I am on hyper alert and cannot fall alsleep at all (going many consecutive days with no perceived sleep).  I also have dp/dr, complete emotional numbness, anhedonia, blank mind, head burning and pressure.  

This has been going on for 6 months now so I don't know what is happening.  There have been no positive changes so I do not know what to do at this point.  

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

This is how I looked at, how was I before I ever took the medication? Did I have insomnia?  No.  Did I have anxiety?  No.  Did I have the inability to feel happiness?  No.  Did I have a little bit of depression?  Yes.  Also, I had lots of stressors in my life before taking the drug and didn't let stuff bother me so much I couldn't sleep.  So my belief is in my situation these are withdrawal symptoms and we are not being told the truth about the addictive nature of these drugs.  I believe our brains are damaged from the drugs and it takes a long time to recover from that damage.  I think the length of time on drugs, number of drugs, and how you discontinue/taper impacts the amount/type of withdrawal symptoms you have. 

When I stopped my taper in January of this year I had that emotional numbness and during of the taper I had racing thoughts (like anxiety) at times.  Before the drug I never had racing thoughts (almost like a panic attack); it seems like now the racing thoughts are happening less and less.  I can feel happiness at times again.  However, I still suffer from insomnia and anxiety (ruminating on problems.)  

After looking at your signature, it looks like you recovered for a short time, then stressors hit.  Perhaps someone who has recovered then had a relapse could help you better but I suspect we are just in a fragile state for quite a while and it doesn't take much to set us off.   

-2005 -2016 60mg Cymbalta

11/2016 abrupt drop to 30mg. Insomnia started (about 2x a week.)

6/29/2017 started aggressive taper. Dosage:6/29 25mg,7/7 20mg,7/10 15mg,7/1713mg,7/18 10 mg,7/22 8mg,7/31 7.5mg,8/1 6.25mg. At 6.25mg insomnia every night (waking 2-4am.) 

8/2017 began up dosing 8/9 7.5mg,8/16 10mg.

Late 2017 new taper from 25mg. Approx 10% reduction per mos (mini-tablets.) 10mg sleep would not stabilize. Cont'd taper meds running out.

Jan 2019 stopped taper at 2.5mg. Using only supplements. Morning 500mg tyrosine, 100mg L-theanine, 600mg NAC. After breakfast 1000mg fish oil, 5mg iron, 2000IU D3, B complex, 500mg ginseng, 50mg ginkgo, probiotics & 50mg zinc. Bedtime 1000mg tryptophan, 500mg gaba, 3mg time released melatonin, 325mg magnesium powder, & 100mg progesterone.

Feb 2019 brain zaps gone. Still have chronic insomnia & anxiety at times.

March 2019-Purchased Alpha Stim

May 2019-sleep still inconsistent.

October 2019- (Morning) L-Tyrosine, Super B complex, 5mg ferritin,fish oil, vit c, (Evening)200mg progesterone, 1mg Natrol Time Release Melatonin, 325mg Calm magnesium, glycine powder. Alpha Stim only seems to help with anxiety not insomnia. Usually wake up nightly average of 2 hours. *Using 25mg Benadryl or 12.5mg Doxylamine Succinate occasionally

Topic title:  Intractable insomnia?

I was trying to hold on and wait out this bout of insomnia but it got excruciating with inability to even fall asleep.  Constantly wired.  I recently brokedown 3 weeks ago and took Remeron. 7.5mg and it worked one day then not at all for 4 days. Then when up to 15mg and it worked again first day then not the next 2.  Then I stopped.  

I was in a desperate situation and messed around again. Stupid me.  Now my insomnia is even worse.  Before I was crashing after 3 days of no sleep.  Now I have been up 5 days.  

Is this intractable insomnia?  My situation is looking grim. I don't know how long I can hang on.  

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• Moderator Emeritus

I suggest you provide 3 days of daily symptoms notes so that your situation can be assessed.  An example:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, uncomfortablynumb said:

I recently brokedown 3 weeks ago and took Remeron. 7.5mg and it worked one day then not at all for 4 days. Then when up to 15mg and it worked again first day then not the next 2.  Then I stopped.  

Hi uncomfortablynumb,

I'm so sorry about the wiredness, and have a question: When you say you broke down and took Remeron, does that mean that you were previously completely off of Remeron?  I'm just trying get a clear picture and making sure I understand.

Have you gotten no sleep at all, or has there been any dozing off here and there?

A nice, low-pressure strategy that you could try is to lay down with your eyes closed and repeat to yourself (aloud or in your head), "I don't have to sleep, but I can rest."  When I suffered insomnia, that's what I would do and repeated that mantra.  It allowed my body some relief without panicking about the sleep I wasn't getting.  By giving myself permission not to sleep, it ended up allowing me to at least rest, which eventually did turn into some sleep.  

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

Thanks for responding.  

I had been off all drugs since June 2017.  

I haven't been able to fall asleep at all.  I am not perceiving any sleep.  Losing my mind.  My body is also withering away.  I am scared.  Don't know what to do.  

• Administrator
On 4/6/2019 at 12:28 PM, uncomfortablynumb said:

All of my symptoms came back strong by November.  These include: severe insomnia, depersonalization (feels detached and everything dreamlike especially in crowded areas), head pressure and all weird sensations horrible again, emotions completely gone both positive and negative, mind completely blank, and cognitive functioning as bad as ever.  

I'm sorry you're going through this. Did anything change in November? Did you take an antibiotic? Perhaps a couple of glasses of wine? A big change in your sleep schedule?

Is your bedroom very dark, cool, and quiet? Have you tried melatonin again, perhaps starting with 0.5mg?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

What is the sleep cycle?

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

That soft music might help you in conjunction with Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Do you have any Remeron left?

Hi Alto,

Thanks for stepping in. 

In the summer I was well and thought drinking would be alright.  I had alcohol a few times.  Actually all these symptoms erupted by October.  

I have been taking melatonin trying the low doses then up to about 2mg.  It was working very rarely and not well at all. Now not at all.  

My.bedroom is pretty dark. Maybe not completely black.  

I still have Remeron left.  It wasn't doing anything.  

In such a mess. 

Is it even possible to ride this out?  

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/7/2019 at 7:28 AM, uncomfortablynumb said:

Can this be withdrawal or from stress or PTSD?  Can stress trigger all these symptoms again?  Anyone experience this?

On 4/24/2019 at 8:50 AM, uncomfortablynumb said:

How can you know if this is a wave of withdrawal or if symptoms are from anxiety and depression? 

I believe withdrawal leaves our systems with less resilience to stress.  I have experienced this, although at the time I was still on a low dose rather than completely off like you.

On 4/25/2019 at 6:34 PM, WiggleIt said:

A nice, low-pressure strategy that you could try is to lay down with your eyes closed and repeat to yourself (aloud or in your head), "I don't have to sleep, but I can rest."  When I suffered insomnia, that's what I would do and repeated that mantra.  It allowed my body some relief without panicking about the sleep I wasn't getting.  By giving myself permission not to sleep, it ended up allowing me to at least rest, which eventually did turn into some sleep.  

I've also used a similar technique, of telling myself I would just lie down and rest rather than trying to sleep.

What helped me the most with sleep was relaxation exercises.  Check out our topic here:  Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

MOD NOTE:  Robko has already created an Introduction topic

Hi there, I am 99% sure this is withdrawal. During poop out, apathy is insanely common (as is depression that becomes chronic). You are only 10 days in. You will start finding you have good moments. It may only be a minute or two to begin with, but that will develop into a few hours. And you should focus on this. The problem is, as soon as the mood drops, you will automatically think that you need the medication. This is not true. You really need the support of somebody who can remind you that thought the same thing every other time. Things will start to get better rapidly. The downside to this is that the better you feel, the crashes can feel worse. However, it WILL get better. 

Edited by ChessieCat

June 1997 (for one week) - 2mg Diazapam three times daily For panic and GAD

July 1997 (for one week) - 2mg Diazapam twice daily For panic and GAD

July 1997 to Aug 1998 - Seroxat 20mg daily For panic and GAD

Jan 2000 to Dec 2001 - Seroxat 20mg daily For panic and GAD  I reinstated as I was suffering from extreme nausea and dry heaves plus social anxiety. I was housebound.

Jan 2002 to Dec 2004 - Intermittent use of Seroxat with doses between 10mg and 20mg daily (no records exist) For panic and GAD I do not remember why I reinstated but probably would have been anxiety symptoms.

Jan 2006 to May 2006 - 80 mg Propranolol daily For panic and GAD/high blood pressure

Feb 2006 to Mar 2007 - Prozac 20mg daily For GAD Although I do not remember, my medical notes state that I had anxiety and was feeling low.

Mar 2007 to Sep 2008 - Seroxat 20 mg daily For GAD I remember that I was suffering again with GAD and panic. Was finding it difficult to keep my job. Thinking back, I can remember periods of apathy. (prior to going back on the medication). I was also suffering from vertigo, constant nausea and nocturnal panic attacks/gasping for air and jumping up whilst falling asleep.

Sep 2010 to Nov 2018 - Intermittent use of Seroxat with doses between 8mg and 20mg daily (no firm records exist) For GAD Whilst on medication, In 2017 (Jan), first symptoms of depression appear. Mood quickly falls with extremely dark thoughts. I HAVE NEVER FELT ANYTHING LIKE IT. Thoughts of death and suicide. Severe mood crashes. Total apathy - I found pleasure from absolutely nothing (this is what scared me the most).

Nov 2018 to Jan 2019 - Seroxat Tapering down to zero (one mg per week/two weeks depending on reaction). Surprisingly comfortable withdrawal. Initial brain zaps. Even during tapering, base line mood was lifting. After 6 weeks, started to suffer anxiety in clear wave patterns (usually in the morning). On a couple of occasions, I had severe anxiety all day (with no panic attacks) which made functioning very difficult. Huge mood swings. One minute I was fine, the next my whole world had fallen apart (I'm talking in a matter of seconds). These mood swings have stopped. Baseline mood level is higher. Still get waves of sadness, dark thoughts and anxiety but the windows of feeling well seem to be getting longer. After 3 months, insomnia became a problem (for a period of about a week) and this also caused me great anxiety. I have NEVER suffered from poor sleep before. My sleeping is now slightly better but still nowhere near the level that I am used to. I still struggle with motivation, and at times feel extreme apathy ("whats the point" kind of attitude). I find it very difficult to get out of bed in the morning and my work is suffering from lack of motivation.

7 days now without any awareness of sleep.  Not even close to sleepy.  I am trying a lot of tips now.  Hiking and getting sun.  Nothing helping. Body is atrophying quick. So many horrible symptoms.  Think insomnia, loss of emotions, and head pain are worst.  Is the burning and extreme pressure nerve damage or neuropathy? Mine is 247.

• Administrator

One's nervous system often becomes hypersensitive after going on and off psychiatric drugs and experiencing adverse reactions such as withdrawal syndrome.

After that history, you have to go on the assumption that you cannot drink alcohol the way you used to or do a lot of things that might cause your nervous system to react badly. We have people here who were kindled by antibiotics or anesthesia at the dentist.

You will need to stop drinking completely.

What is your sleep schedule? When do you take melatonin? Do you stay up late on the computer?

I have no idea how you might respond to Remeron. Whatever you do, you'd be wise to try a very, very small dose, as low as 1mg-5mg, to see what happens.

And you'll still have to avoid alcohol.

9 nights now with no sleep.  I am really trying my best to get sun and physical exercise.  Went to Colorado to hike and explore even though I am a sucker zombie.  My poor friend has to put up with me.  

I almost nodded off when we were driving a lot.  It happened twice and I had those jerks.  Never sleeping at night.  

I was taking the melatonin 1 to 3mg about 15m before bed.  It would rarely work.  Many times my eyes would just feel heavy. Seems like it also makes my headaches worse.  The burning and pressure is insane.  It is weird when I listen to music I have loved I get these uncomfortable tingles in my brain.  It is no longer pleasureable.  Seems like damage.  I will stop that tangent.  

I usually stay away from screens an hour before bed or use my blue blocking glasses.  

I really want to avoid the Remeron.  Would I recover if I just stayed away from it?  I again with only taking 1mg if I have to.  Seems like my body was rejecting the Rem.  Head sensations were intense taking it this last time.  

I am not gonna drink alcohol years now.  

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, uncomfortablynumb said:

I almost nodded off when we were driving a lot

Okay, so the fact that your body came close to nodding off means your body has not forgotten how to sleep.  In fact, it sounds like sleep could be just around the corner.  

Do you allow yourself to try to nap during the day or do you only try to sleep at night?  My opinion may differ from some others on SA, but I think it's okay to let yourself nap in the daytime if you can't get to sleep at night.  I know that there is a lot of encouragement on SA to try and keep a normal sleep schedule, but if you nod off during the day (just as long as you're not behind the wheel), then any sleep is going to be a good thing.

Do you have any moments during the day when you nod off, but then force yourself to stay awake?  If so, is there any way to just allow yourself to nod off when those moments happen?

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, WiggleIt said:

I know that there is a lot of encouragement on SA to try and keep a normal sleep schedule, but if you nod off during the day (just as long as you're not behind the wheel), then any sleep is going to be a good thing.

I'm the same, WiggleIt, I've learned to let my body sleep when it wants to sleep.  Trying to force it into a schedule doesn't seem to work well for me.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

I wasn't the one driving.  I wouldn't get sleepiy if I was.  This insomnia is taking me towards breaking point.  Almost 2 weeks straight with no sleep except for an hour one night and two another.  I usually can never nap in the day when this has been extreme but I will have to try.  My body aches and the head pain is almost unbearable. What are the options when this is so severe?  I seriously need some kind of sign of improvement to keep me going.