SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ The loving, positive voice hearer turned 'ZombieMode' by antipsychotics

ZombieMode

Hi All,

Diagnosed schizophrenic here currently on a 300mg depot injection of Abilify monthly until March 2016, on a community treatment order.

Am doing everything I can to get off medication ASAP, as am experiencing akathisia, anhedonia, complete loss of libido, numbness, and a loss of spirituality. I'm sure most of you know how horrible this can be, especially when previously I was a healthy & happy, loving guy full of life and energy.

In total I'll be on the abilify for a year, what are my chances of recovery? Has anyone in a similar position ever come off medication and found their voices to return (mine were extremely loving, and quite special to me)? Could anyone provide me with tips to detox/cleanse, or peace of mind that I will recover? 

I smoke ciggarettes, take st johns wort, to try to counter the effects of the abilify, which help, along with numerous other supplements. Exercise regularly, eat as healthy as possible.

Thanks for reading, I really appreciate any help or guidance on the topic of antipsychotics.

*Forced* drugging history:

• Unknown cocktail during 2x admissions
  • 400mg aripiprazole monohydrate monthly injections: 2015 - present
  • 1,200mg sodium valproate orals daily: 2017 - present

Welcome 'zombiemode'.I wish you well

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

• Administrator

Welcome, ZM.

You need to immediately notify your doctors that you are experiencing akathisia on this drug. This is a very undesirable side effect.

To talk to them, keep as calm and even as possible. They are confused by emotionality. Be careful not to yell, cry, wave your arms, etc.

St. John's Wort may be making the activation worse.

Other than that, when you have a depot injection, all you can do is wait until it wears off.

See Tips for tapering off aripiprazole (Abilify)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Zombiemode,

Welcome to sa.  Your experiences are very different to mine, but after reading on this forum for almost a year, I feel really positive about people's ability to heal from any bad med experience.  It can be slow, but people here are healing, and getting themselves back. 

There are lots of things you can do in order to support your healing brain.  Have a look at http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/  I've found that for peace of mind, a good friend is hard to beat.  Do you have someone who can just pop in and be with you, maybe at your hardest times?  Having a good cry then a hot bath with epsom salts is great for anxiety.  Even a simple yoga pose like legs up the wall can help you relax.  

Drinking lots of water sounds basic, but is really key to cleansing, and to minimising the intensity of symptoms.  Cutting out coffee too.  Since tapering I've changed my diet a lot.  My favourite food now is home-made muesli which I soak overnight in milk, then eat with natural yoghurt, apple and raw milk.  It actually feels like it calms me down, and is very nourishing.   

I've only tapered a small amount of my effexor, but already have increased feelings and an increase in my voices, which had been gone for years.  That's not something I share often... but it's quite safe here.  One of the much more experienced people on this forum has a blog with very helpful and understanding insights about schizophrenia and hearing voices (among other things).  It's called BeyondMeds.

Keep going zm, you've started on a healing path and things will get better for you,

Hugs,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

hi ZombieMode I had a similar experience with Risperidone and I'm far from healed.

Anyway don't lose hope and search here in the forum and on the web for success stories...it's plenty of them.

March 2010/ October 2010:

Sereupin 30mg a day, EN 15 drops a day

October 2010/ 1st November 2014:

Cipralex 50mg a day (tapered to 40mg a day in August 2013), EN 15 drops a day (switched to Lexotan 15 drops a day in September 2014)

Started Risperdal 1mg a day on the 1st November 2014.

Stopped Risperdal on the 23 November 2014 because that day, after a short mental crysis, I suddenly lost all my emotions,desires,motivation and they not come back yet.

Stopped Cipralex C/T in December 2014.

Added, tapered and stopped other drugs during the following months (also a voluntary hospitalization in January 2015 for a suicide attempt)...no changes yet.

I'm med free from 3rd December 2015

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome ZombieMode,

As others have mentioned, you will find a lot of good information and support here, I'm glad you found us. It sounds like you want your voices to come back, if they were helpful and comforting to you, its understandable that you would miss them.

Do stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice - it is much appreciated :) 

my doctor has just lowered me again to 200mg due to the akathisia and libido issues, am trying my best to be off by the new year, community treatment order expires in march. 

am passing time with video games and long beach walks, which helps. have found B vitamins to be very helpful also. will keep updating this thread as time progresses - thanks again for reading :)

• Moderator Emeritus

It's good to have goals but I wouldn't be too rigid with your timeframe. The idea is to come off well with few if any symptoms and full functioning. That's worth giving your body whatever time it needs with a slow tapering strategy.

I wish you the best. Keep doing what you are doing with those long beach walks. Sounds lovely

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

unfortunately some lady i've never even spoken to decided I should be put on max dose of 400mg again because I wasn't on it long enough to be tapering. wow.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: have been advised by numerous people including my GP to take vitamin B complex with extra vitamins B3 & B5 - which I have found to be very uplifting and energizing. Still nothing in comparison to what a normal, non-drugged person would feel, but an improvement nonetheless.

Am also on P5P, Zinc & Ashwaganda supplements - all in all its supposed to support immune & liver function. Will try anything, the anhedonia is just getting progressively worse over time, feels like death would be a more pleasurable experience to psych drugs... That would mean letting them win though, which I could never do.

Still stuck on the max dose, am seeing a new psych on Monday for a 2nd opinion. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Zombiemode ,    I've just started taking MSM (Organic Sulphur Crystals).  More energy , clearer thinking . . it flushes your cells with oxygen and I can feel it!    You might like it.   

See   http://www.health-science-spirit.com/msm.html

I ordered on ebay from a company called MiSMo in Queensland . . . wish I would have found it years ago.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind a second thread in this subsection by myself - wanting to properly introduce myself.

Have always been curious to hear from other "voice hearers" - are there any out there?

Mine were always extremely positive and loving by nature - they taught me about universal love energy, which foods were best for my health, which hobbies and sports I'd excel at, and overall, I never felt alone, afraid or sad with them around to guide me.

I understand this is not "normal" (whatever that means) and they were unheard of by everyone else, but they were most certainly without a doubt, real. They introduced themselves to me by the name of archangel Michael.

Long story short, this means I qualify in the Western world to be labelled as a "schizophrenic" - whereas I believe i'm more or less a spiritual person or shaman.

Accompanying the voices was a spiritual emergence/awakening. Without doubt the most beautiful experience I have ever had. Felt connected to everybody and everything, synchronicities, alive, awake, dedicated and determined to make the world a better place, and grow as a person along the way. Was living in blissful states of ecstasy - without the use of illegal drugs.

Surely this couldn't last - only felt this way for 2 months, unfortunately, and was hospitalised for being attacked by my younger brother, pumped full with antipsychotics, and haven't been the same since.

That's my story anyway, would love to hear from other voice hearers, am struggling to get off my compulsory treatment order - at this stage looks like i'll have to put up with their drugging till March.

Best wishes to all of you,

Zombie

Hi,

I am sorry that you have been forced to take medication. I was forced in the past to be on meds, I did not like it, but I believe it was necessary and it truly helped me. 

There is moments in life that triggers certain undesirable effects, creating a chaos in our life. I do not know if such as thing as chemical imbalance exits. I do not know about all those theories behind disturbed or "not normal" mental status. But I can tell you that with the appropriate medication and therapy things could get better. 

Maybe in the future you do not have to take more drugs, you never know how your mind will behave and heal. Many of us have dealt with medication in the past, and there are some successful stories out there. 

Are you still hearing voices? Do they told you that you are schizophrenic? Because in this case maybe you will need to take medication for life. In my case I had kind of hallucinations. But after some years of treatment I have not had any more. 

Best wishes for you too. 

Zyprexa 15 mg  for 5 months  in 2010. I quit cold turkey /Zyprexa 5 mg from sept 2011 to sept 2012. I quit cold turkey

Lamictal and Geodon for around 6 months (from around sept 2012 to feb 2013)

Trazodone/ Klonopin 0.5 mg / 1 mg /Quetiapine  and gabapentin 600 mg/ Risperidone and gabapentin 600 mg

Gabapentin 1200 mg  around feb 2014 to  june 2014/ Gabapentin 900 mg july 2014 to December 2014

Invega 6 mg dec 2014 (for 8 days) / Gabapentin 600 mg

Invega 6 mg April 2015 / Gabapentin 900 mg

Invega 3 mg May 2015 / Gabapentin 600 mg

Since May 25th Gabapentin 600 mg

July 24 Gabapentin 400 mg August 18 Gabapentin 300 mg

Currently taking Invega 6 mg and Venlafaxine 150 mg. 2018

2019. I took invega 3 mg for two months. I stop taking medication two days ago (11/13) I am doing ok.

In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: It goes on.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Zombie ,  it's one thread per customer in this section , so this will be joined with your other one.

I was curious to know more about your voices . . . did you only have them for 2 months?

Can you match up when they started with taking anything unusual at all . . .prescribed medications , street

drugs , pot?  

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Zombiemode

I am so sorry they have done this to you. And you were the one being attacked for goodness sake. I dont understand it.

Can i recommend a book its 'anatomy of an epidemic ' by Robert Whitaker

And what is so wrong with hearing voices...golly i hear voices all the time ...i call them thoughts.

One thought said 'Dont post on here you have said enough silly things for the past week' the other voice said 'Na go ahead and post what the heck'

Guess who i listened to?!

You might like to google 'Rxisk abilify ' there are some very interesting articles.

Lars Martensson 1984 taking a neuroleptic is like having a "psychosis inducing agent built into the brain".

MRI studies show that neuroleptics (antipsychotics) worsen the very symptoms they are supposed to treat.

I personally dont believe you should be drugged for this  ...you have done ok up to now right?

one option may be to consider doing a Brassmonkey ...- thats where you start tapering without telling the doc.

"It is a mistake to assume individuals require many months of antipsychotic medication following a psychotic episode.....therapy can be used to treat acute psychotic episodes without resort to medication." Breggin.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

oops i forgot to say welcome zombiemode.

Will it be the ABs or the WallaBs? That is the question!

I'm doubling down on ABs!!

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi ZombieMode

Like you I have been living with voices for sometime now, approximately 20 years or so. If you think about, it it's not all that strange, I mean, the prophets of the Bible often spoke and were spoken to by God and there is plenty of historical references of ghosts and other apparitions making contact with the living, we just now happen to be living in a quite radically materialistic era that attempts to totally deride human spirituality and tries to speak of all reality as merely godless chemical reactions, or quarks or something. I hope you don't get too frustrated having people, both psychiatrists (neuro-nazis) and the well meaning folks on this website who are struggling greatly with pill withdrawal, tell you that hearing voices is some kind of illness that needs to be cured.

A few years back, I was in my apartment crying. I was in a fit of despair. I am a poet and I wasn't writing hardly anymore. I was on the pills (in my case Zoloft and zyprexa), which are extremely difficult to get off of (about like heroin, I suppose) and do have all sorts of horrendous side effects, where all I could do was sit around my apartment in a state of lethargy, watching tv and eating and sleeping all the time. One day, I had a bout of self doubt and loathing, I was crying so much that I was actually weeping and heaving, thinking what an untalented wretch I was. I felt so useless and without hope, that I said to myself in the midst of all my tears and convulsing "why was I even born?" when God spoke to me in my living room saying "to seek Love's pelf." (pelf- bounty or riches)

I have since gotten of my pills (Feb. 2014) and my creative spirit has awakened again, only now I have a terrible time, thanks to withdrawal side effects of the pills, of sleeping. My insomnia is so bad that I call my condition, InZombia, where I stumble around with severe fatigue often bumping into things and where I'll sometimes find myself just staring into space trying to remember what I was about to do. This website seems to deal with more with managing pill withdrawal and not so much about matters of spirituality, but if you ever felt like talking I would be more than happy to discuss ideas and the contemplate the nature of reality with you or just talk about experiences we've had living in the realm of spirits. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck in getting off the drugs, or releasing yourself from the forced drugging in march.

ps check out my introduction and posts for more on my story and even some of my poetry and please, write back.

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Hi ZombieMode

Like you I have been living with voices for sometime now, approximately 20 years or so. If you think about it it's not all that strange, I mean, the prophets of the Bible often spoke and were spoken to by God and there is plenty of historical references of ghosts and other apparitions making contact with the living, we just now happen to be living in a quite radically materialistic era that attempts to have us protract ourselves from matters of faith while at the same time, totally deriding human spiritualism and tries to speak of all reality as merely godless chemical reactions, or quarks or something. I don't know why, but that's what we have in this or that animals are thoughtless beings driven by instinct or even that there is no God.

A few years back I was in my apartment crying. I was in a peak of despair. I am a poet and I wasn't writing hardly anymore. I was on those pills (in my case Zoloft and zyprexa), which are extremely difficult to get off of (about like heroin, i suppose) and do have all sorts of horrendous side effects where all I could do was sit around my apartment watching tv and eating and sleeping all the time. One day, I had a bout of self doubt and loathing, i was crying so much I was actually weeping and heaving thinking what an untalented wretch I was. I felt so useless and without hope, that I said to myself in the midst of all my tears and convulsing "why was I even born?" when God spoke to me in my living room saying "to seek Love's pelf."

I have since gotten of my pills (Feb. 2014) and my creative spirit has awakened again, only now I have a terrible time, thanks to withdrawal side effects of the pills, of sleeping. This website seems to deal with managing pill withdrawal

If you ever felt like talking I would be happy to discuss ideas and the contemplate the nature of reality with you. I wish you the best of luck in getting off the drugs, or releasing yourself from the forced drugging in march

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

• Administrator

Hi, ZM. I merged your topics, only one Intro topic to a member.

Very sorry to hear your drug has been increased again. Getting a second opinion is definitely warranted. Akathisia is not a goal of treatment.

Are you taking tablets or did you get another injection?

"Hearing voices" is fairly common in the general population. The cutoff for "normality" in this is arbitrary. You would do well to connect with the Hearing Voices Network http://www.hearing-voices.org/and Will Hall http://willhall.net/ , a therapist and activist who has personal experience with a diagnosis of psychosis.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

The voices never called me schizophrenic, only by my first name, "king" or a "gold soul". Was quite odd to say the least, they never told me to do anything specific or harm myself or anyone. 

Smoked cannabis once for the first time in August 2014, 6 months later I heard the voices, they were prominent for around 2 months, and since taking meds have mostly faded, but can sometimes hear muffled noises. 

Will check that book out nz11, thanks. I can't understand why I was given such a harsh label, maybe because I was dancing around always smiling and helping others out during my stay in hospital...

Wow Jester I agree wholeheartedly with you, glad to hear your creativity has reawakened :)

Thanks Altostrata, they inject me monthly, unfortunately there's not much of a way out for me - am seeing a second psychiatrist tomorrow, and another 3 during November. This is no way to live

UPDATE:
Saw a new psychiatrist today, who was great! He believes I may have been wrongly diagnosed, and wants to lower my dose immediately. Need to get a copy of my hospital records to him so that I can switch over to him as my treating psychiatrist.

Really looking forward to this, comforting to know that private psychiatrists are a little more... "real".. than the community sector. :)

This is a great turn of events.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

You must be delighted , good for you.

As Altostrata mentioned ,  St Johns Wort may be aggravating your symptoms.  It's like you've added another

antidepressant.   Depending on the amount you're taking , you might want to taper off that asap.

:)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Oh I am glad that you found a doctor that make you happy, secure and positive. One that will re-evaluate you and reconsider your diagnostic. Could be nice if something like that happens to me. 

Wishing you a full recovery. 

Zyprexa 15 mg  for 5 months  in 2010. I quit cold turkey /Zyprexa 5 mg from sept 2011 to sept 2012. I quit cold turkey

Lamictal and Geodon for around 6 months (from around sept 2012 to feb 2013)

Trazodone/ Klonopin 0.5 mg / 1 mg /Quetiapine  and gabapentin 600 mg/ Risperidone and gabapentin 600 mg

Gabapentin 1200 mg  around feb 2014 to  june 2014/ Gabapentin 900 mg july 2014 to December 2014

Invega 6 mg dec 2014 (for 8 days) / Gabapentin 600 mg

Invega 6 mg April 2015 / Gabapentin 900 mg

Invega 3 mg May 2015 / Gabapentin 600 mg

Since May 25th Gabapentin 600 mg

July 24 Gabapentin 400 mg August 18 Gabapentin 300 mg

Currently taking Invega 6 mg and Venlafaxine 150 mg. 2018

2019. I took invega 3 mg for two months. I stop taking medication two days ago (11/13) I am doing ok.

In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: It goes on.

Here is a gorgeous woman on the Council of Evidential Based Psychiatry site talking about her voices and experience (she's the second person) - utterly inspiring! 

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi ZM,

I also had an intense spiritual experience when I was in my 20's, was hospitalized, misdiagnosed and drugged. As soon as I 'escaped' from the hospital, I took myself off the drugs and completely recovered over the following several weeks. My experience had been triggered by meditation.

I'm so glad to hear you have an open minded, knowledgeable doctor now.

You may be interested in the Shades of Awakening web site and community

http://www.shadesofawakening.com

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Hi ZM,

I also had an intense spiritual experience when I was in my 20's, was hospitalized, misdiagnosed and drugged. As soon as I 'escaped' from the hospital, I took myself off the drugs and completely recovered over the following several weeks. My experience had been triggered by meditation.

I'm so glad to hear you have an open minded, knowledgeable doctor now.

You may be interested in the Shades of Awakening web site and community

http://www.shadesofawakening.com

Good to hear from you Petunia, unfortunately I have to wait till around March next year to escape, the law has got me in its evil grips :/

Glad to hear you recovered, gives me hope :) Still in the process of switching to the other doctor as my treating psychiatrist, just a slow process, my fingers are crossed.

Great website by the way, thanks for sharing :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Zombie sez:

Have always been curious to hear from other "voice hearers" - are there any out there?

AllDaisy says:

Maybe in the future you do not have to take more drugs, you never know how your mind will behave and heal. Many of us have dealt with medication in the past, and there are some successful stories out there. 

NZ chimes in:

I personally dont believe you should be drugged for this  ...you have done ok up to now right?

and

one option may be to consider doing a Brassmonkey ...- thats where you start tapering without telling the doc.

Sadly, this last one is not an option because of the depot shots.

I do not agree with AllDaisy that you may need to be on the drugs all your life.  I think you can get better and stay better without the drugs.  But you have to NOT "GET CAUGHT" (see below).

I'm horribly sorry you've ended up in this conundrum.  There are (as you have found out) voice hearers here in SA, and I personally know voice hearers here in Oz, however, they don't really want to hear the voices (it's a shame, really, voice hearing information is so valuable to the individual).  Therefore, there is nothing so organized as The Voice Hearers in the UK.  

When it comes time to quit, ask your new psychiatrist if you can switch to tablets and liquid so that you can taper down gently.  There are some folks in here who had to cold turkey off the depot shots, and believe me, it's a shocking process.

I'm a member of the Shades of Awakening forum that Petu sent you to - because I receive this "other" information in "other" ways. I think you will find it of great comfort.   I had a Voice a long time ago, but it was not a kind voice and I've since integrated it into my consciousness - now it is like NZ says:  thoughts.  But I experience "messages from God," in other ways, and they are usually positive and not harmful.

I will tell you what I told my little sister, who had quite intrusive manifestations (and is sadly polydrugged for them). 

YOU GOT CAUGHT.  That is why you have the depot injections.  There is something that you did to "GET CAUGHT."  

I believe in "mental diversity" (that is what I learned from Will Hall, a link that Alto gave you).  You can believe in whatever you want, and listen to whomever you want, including voices that nobody but you can here - but when your behaviour crosses a certain line, you GET CAUGHT.  One of the early goals is to learn what behaviours get you CAUGHT and never go there.  Yelling loudly in public places.  Hiding on store shelves behind the merchandise.  Threatening behaviour (even if it is harmless, it makes people uncomfortable).  Publicly proclaiming your deep spiritual belief and asking others to join you in your revelation.  Public self harm.  Crying loudly in a public place but not talking to anyone for hours.  These are just a few examples that I personally have experienced with myself and close loved ones.  If you are on court ordered depot shots, you did something to GET CAUGHT.

If you want to live without depot shots, and without abilify, you need to examine your behaviour among the public - and around your friends and family - to make certain you will never "get caught" again.  

You will be tempted in March to "fly and be free" because you want your brain back.  Please don't.  Please ask for some drugs so you can taper down.  I promise you that as your dosages get lower, your freedom will return as the shackles are lifted.  But if you lift the shackles too quickly - well, I think of these drugs as a wolf.

If you are confronted with a wolf (the drug) and you run away from the wolf - it will catch up to you.  It might take 4-6 months to do so, but you will GET CAUGHT by the wolf, and those symptoms can be far more horrendous than you are suffering now.  It is much better to sneak away from the wolf - you know the videos where the cat sneaks up when you look away?  Yeah, like that.  Tapering is like sneaking away so that the wolf doesn't realize it until you are free.  A little at a time.  Sneak off the drug, taper slowly.  

I was going to send you to http://www.madinamerica.com, there are a lot of voice hearers around there.  But I think I like the links that Alto and Petunia gave you better.  I did, however, find a Hearing Voices Network Australia:  http://hvna.net.au/  I don't know if you are near a capital city, or if you are somewhere distant - but perchance you can find someone near to you?

So have you gone down to the 200mg depot shot?  If so, please indicate so in your signature line.  You get the shots monthly, do you get any "breakthrough" withdrawal - late in the month when the shot starts to wear off?  Is that when your akathisia, etc. is worse?  Maybe keep a journal to track it, and you will know what to expect when your court order expires, and you can switch to tablets and start weaning yourself to freedom.  (again, slower is better!)

It looks to me like you've been well received here on SA - you're never alone in the world!  

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh yeah, here's the founder of the Hearing Voices Movement in the UK

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

Wow Jan, thank you so much for your post, got a lot of good quality information out of it! THANKS!  :) 

Especially like your part on "getting caught" - great way of describing how the system works, its quite tricky. Oh how I wish I had this advice earlier in the year, wouldn't be in the position I am today, but you are right, it's my own fault, I should have just walked away when my brother hit me.

I'm still stuck on 400mg depot, the dosage reduction was short lived, still unsure why they put it back up, gut feeling is because I asked if spirituality will return someday for me.

But like a wolf in sheep's clothing, I have learnt to shut my mouth about anything "not normal", have closed down my facebook, and am keeping all my personal thoughts, side effects, etc in a journal. Which can easily be destroyed if the need arises, suppose I am somewhat paranoid about privacy nowadays, I don't trust most institutions because I have seen the way they work. I was almost coerced into handing over my older journals (which documented my insights, spiritual beliefs, etc) in hospital - the doctor called me unique and was "really interested" in knowing more about my writings. Did me no favours as you could imagine.

As hard as it will be to voluntarily take these medicines (which I literally feel in my body to be poisonous), I will ensure I taper properly and slowly.

Really appreciate all the positivity on SA, has to be the best forum i've come across on the topic to date :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Yar, it seems unfair that one of the symptoms of "illness" in the "DSM" is (forgive me, I've not looked in the thamn book for many decades now) "religiosity and concern with religiosity."

But another one is paranoia - so you have a difficult balance to walk.  Can you find ways to be "real" with the people who are helping you - while staying calm, composed, and in charge of your behaviour?   This is what you will need to do in order to get free, I reckon.

I'm relieved that you feel okay about tapering, I was worried you'd be so eager to jump off, that you might not like my suggestion.  I think your doctor/s will like the suggestion too, to hear you asking for the tablets!

You have some months to get ready for your taper.  Here's a great vid I found recently about preparation:  Psych Central 6 Ways to Prepare for Antidepressant Withdrawal

Please feel free to come here, as you know, it's a safe place here to talk about your stuff.  Think of this as your personal journal that you can share and people can join in and converse with you.  A really unique format really.  It's important if you have to hide your stuff from others (to keep from getting caught) that you need to have a safe place where you can go with it.

I'd love to know what your reaction is to the many links we've sent.

*topic moved from symptoms forum

Hi All,

Since starting on the Anti-Psychotic, Abilify, at random intervals each month, I wake up late at night to experience quite a pleasurable sensation in or around my nosebone...

My guts also loosen significantly, and I can feel deep breaths enter through my nostrils again - like it was prior to starting on these meds.

Some of you may know I'm extremely against APs, as I have noticed them do nothing but damage to my mind/body/soul. Feeling these odd sensations give me hope of recovery, it's as if medication is building up in my nose bone/pineal gland, stopping me from having a deep breath, i'm not quite sure though. I can feel it break away, extremely soothing crackling noises, it's the most pleasurable thing i've experienced since starting on these drugs!

Just interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience or knows what I'm talking about - couldn't find anything relatable on the internet,

Best wishes to all,

-Zombie

Edited by Petunia
added note

• Administrator

It's unlikely Abilify is building up around your nosebone, pineal gland, or any other part of your body.

What do you mean by random intervals?

These drugs are psychoactives. Basically, it sounds to me like you're getting high from occasional Abilify. Everyone differs in their reactions. It tends to be "relaxing," if not stupefying.

• Administrator

Brilliant posts, thank you again, JanCarol.

• Moderator Emeritus

One of the potential side effects of anti psychotic medication is nasal congestion. You may be experiencing a temporary clearing of your sinuses, which I'm sure would be quite a relief and pleasurable if you have been having problems breathing.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

I had very mild auditory and visual hallucinations coming off an AP, I had a tiny one even a few months ago. Maybe olfactory hallucination?

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old