Report: Rodents exposed to SSRI in womb show autism-like behaviors and lose brain receptors for oxytocin and vasopressin

oskcajga

babies being harmed even before they are born... fantastic...

But actually it's not surprising, isn't it logical that a mind altering drug causes alterations in the future mind of a baby? It's more logical that than the mind altering drug causing physical alterations.

I wonder how many more harmed people will be before this all stops, and ssri are kept for the extreme cases when everything else has failed to improve a very bad condition (even time).

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

In the past, I've been on facebook where I read a number of anecdotal reports and communicated with individuals who are taking SSRIs and Benzo's under their doctors auspices during pregnancy.  I've also personally met a number of individuals currently taking medications while pregnant, completely oblivious to the possible fetal implications.

From what I understand, doctors reassure the women that staying on the drugs is safer for the children then coming off of them and experiencing withdrawal.  Moreover, these drugs are sometimes prescribed to treat symptoms of pregnancy (e.g., mood swings, hot flashes, anxiety, etc).

A somewhat brief investigation of the peer-reviewed literature on the subject of birth complications and SSRIs yields numerous reports that these drugs are SAFE and not dangerous to fetuses - but I can only assume that large number of these studies are ghost written by big pharmaceutical companies, and the authors have conflicts of interest with these companies.   This is in spite of evidence clearly indicating that these drugs cross the placental barrier and enter the fetus's bloodstream and brain.

The article I cited was not based on published work in a peer-reviewed article - these are results presented at a scientific conference - I hope that the authors get this work through the peer-review process.  Although conference presentations do count technically as professional publications, it's not generally revered as much as a peer-review article in the academic universe.

• Moderator Emeritus

A somewhat brief investigation of the peer-reviewed literature on the subject of birth complications and SSRIs yields numerous reports that these drugs are SAFE and not dangerous to fetuses - but I can only assume that large number of these studies are ghost written by big pharmaceutical companies, and the authors have conflicts of interest with these companies.   This is in spite of evidence clearly indicating that these drugs readily cross the placental barrier and enter the fetus's bloodstream and brain.

It's not a black and white picture, because precipitous withdrawal can jeopardize a pregnancy.  I'm very cautious when making comments about how psychotropics effect pregnancy because I don't want to inadvertently influence folks.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

A somewhat brief investigation of the peer-reviewed literature on the subject of birth complications and SSRIs yields numerous reports that these drugs are SAFE and not dangerous to fetuses - but I can only assume that large number of these studies are ghost written by big pharmaceutical companies, and the authors have conflicts of interest with these companies.   This is in spite of evidence clearly indicating that these drugs readily cross the placental barrier and enter the fetus's bloodstream and brain.

It's not a black and white picture, because precipitous withdrawal can jeopardize a pregnancy.  I'm very cautious when making comments about how psychotropics effect pregnancy because I don't want to inadvertently influence folks.

Skyler,

I did not draw any negative conclusions about the effects of drugs during pregnancy in my post - I just stated that they do cross the blood-placental barrier and enter into the fetus.  This information is available online through a google search.  I hope my message was not viewed as leaning one way or the other, because that was not my message.  It was merely to discuss pre-existing information on the subject, related to the article I had posted.

I should note that it's public information that most of these drugs carry this risk:

Pregnancy risk: Category C (Risk cannot be ruled out)
Pregnancy risk: Category D (Positive evidence of risk)

I certainly would NEVER suggest what anyone should or should not do during pregnancy.  Making such suggestions is not only potentially injurious, but it's a very personal decision that I have no right getting involved with (unless of course someone insists that I give them my personal opinion on the subject).

• Moderator Emeritus

osk, I'm just very cautious when speaking to psychotropics taken during gestation...  The benzo forum, TRAP, would not advise anyone they knew to be pregnant.  I think this was going too far, but extra caution is needed.  The problem is, acute and severe withdrawal symptoms can threaten the viability of a pregnancy.  It's a very serious situation and should be looked at most carefully by both the physician and the patient.  Yes, of course Big Pharma does not want word of this to get out...  and it's doubtful psychotropics should be prescribed to women who want to have children, but blanket statements are not without risk here.  I hope you understand my reticence ..  this really is VERY complicated and needs a most careful assessment.  I've read too many comments from women who get scared and want to just stop or taper very aggressively.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy