SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

shelbytrev: Long term Effexor use side effects?

shelbytrev

I have been on Effexor xr 75mg for about 10 years. Prozac before that for a couple years. I was never depressed just had anxiety that I didn't know how to control and they just put me on pills. So I'm not really sure if the Effexor even works for my anxiety anymore because in the last 5 years I have had a few setbacks.

The most recent one was after a bout of 4 months of working out and a death in the family. I have started experiencing ocd thoughts that I never had before and they in turn cause me anxiety. I also have been going through this feeling good one minute and then anxious the next.

The thing that set my anxiety off a couple months ago this time was my husband and girls left to a birthday party and looking back I felt anxious when they left but hadn't had that anxious feeling in so long I didn't realize and then the next minute this thought popped in my head " I should just kill myself". Which then caused me to almost have a panic attack cause I am deathly afraid of dying and would never want to kill myself. Especially because my dad committed suicide about 15 years ago. ( I'm thinking that was one of the reasons I started having anxiety and panic attacks).

I gave a tendency to read things and a couple months ago when researching coming off my meds I read this guys post that said he was only on like a month and all of a sudden out of nowhere had that same thought. So I was thinking maybe under stress my brain kinda threw that out there ?? Then I started obsessing about that thought and how I could ever think it. Then I really struggled for about two weeks and read a book on anxiety and how to cope which has helped a little. That thought and the anxiety put me out for like 2 weeks. Could have had a lot to do with the no sleep.

Now weeks later I am still checking and making sure I don't feel that way. My mind just hasn't felt right. I also started having bouts of really bad insomnia all month instead of only around my monthly cycle. It's kinda weird cause when I'm really tired from not sleeping my brain slows down and I don't obsess as much. When I get good sleep it makes it easier for my brain to obsess and my mind feels like it's in hyper drive. I take my meds about 6 at night also. And about an hour or two after I take my pill I get kinda relaxed but that could also be just because I am so tired from being anxiuos. Then I start thinking maybe my body isn't metabolizing my pill correctly anymore.

Ugh , I'm also in therapy but im not sure if he is helping. My psychiatrist said if I don't want to add anything or up my dose or take something different all I can do is therapy and stay on my Effexor for now and my problems might just be situational due to the death. But what if it's causing these weird problems with my brain? I'm so confused. I thought maybe I was turning bipolar. Or paranoid.

I took one little tiny bead out yesterday. I know that's probably nothing but I need to start tapering to see if maybe it's the Effexor making me worse. I am also concerned about the bead sizing and I'm assuming the coating on the beads on certain ones are more due to the fact that they are time realeased. do I try to take out the same size each time?

Panic attacks-Prozac 20mg 4 years

Effexor 75mg approx 9 years

Effexor to Zoloft 25 mg approx almost 2 weeks

Also used very low dose of Valium 1 mg sometimes 2x a day for anxiety for a month during medication changes.

Zoloft to Celexa 10 mg approx a week

Celexa to Prozac 10 mg for approx 5 weeks

Weaned off Prozac 10-5-2.5 mg

As of 1-8-2016 off everything

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shelbytrev

• Altostrata

• btdt

• Fresh

Top Posters In This Topic

before pills you had anxiety we can call "natural", you had bad moments but they pass and you were better...

these pills act on your anxiety, you told it, but years on these toxic side-effects, and today your anxiety system is no more the same, the pills have deteriorate your anxiety system and much more, staying on pills you have difficult to manage normal stress, and putting pills away you will be very bad...

a normal people without pills "lives" everyday his anxiety, after 10 years he has the tools to calm

when on pills you are drugged,off-topic, you do not "live" the daily stress, you no more know what is stress, and after 10 years your brain is becoming high vulnerable to normal stress,

when i finished taper, for example, i becomed agoraphobic, i fear from a wall, a tree, from color, from light, from dark, from noise etc

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Did you eventually get better ?

Also used very low dose of Valium 1 mg sometimes 2x a day for anxiety for a month during medication changes.

Well I'm already having these effects without stopping so they must but be working anymore and even while on them I am finding ways to cope and live with my anxiety. But I guess we will see maybe I will have to go on a different med.

Hi Shelby--  welcome to the group.  I think you found us just in time.  After being on the same dose for ten years it's quite possible that you have reached tolerance so the drug isn't being as effective as it should be.  When a person goes into tolerance, or as we affectionately call it "poopout", there are three ways to go; 1. up your dose and see if it helps ( I did this twice and really wish I hadn't), 2. switch to another med, which causes withdrawal problems from the first med and start up problems from the second and can cause a whole slue of other problems. or 3. taper slowly off of the med and learn non drug techniques to handling life's situations.  It looks like you're in favor of number three, which is really the best option, and we can offer a lo of guidance and support along the way.  To start you out, here are several threads that would be good for you to read:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

Counting beads in a capsule versus weighing

What is withdrawal syndrome?

It would be very helpful if you would fill out a signature block with your drug history;

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature        

Edited by Petunia
added url to link

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Shelby,

I moved your post from the success story forum to our introductions/update forum. You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Its a good idea to bookmark it or follow it, so its easy to find again.

Brassmonkey gave you some good links to read to get you started.

I noticed that you had posted in the effexor tapering topic back in 2012 with similar questions about bead size. Since then, there has been more discussion about this issue and this post addresses that:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/?p=39175

I'd highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. Psych meds can cause harmful side effects and long term, they can worsen health, increasing the risk of other illnesses. In my opinion they  should only be used for short times and very cautiously, if at all.

Another resource you may find helpful is Your Drug may be you Problem by Dr. Peter Breggin

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you, I guess I'm just scared to not feel like myself, but it's not like I have been feeling like myself 100% anyways. I see my psych on fri. I'm sure he will want me to taper onto another medication. I'm just going to ask him for something for my anxiety in case it gets out of control while tapering.

I agree with Brass , i think this could well be poop-out and to taper off slowly.

Whats the bet your doc will try to do either 1. or 2. of Brass's post above.

Yet the best thing is as mentioned is to go with the number 3.

One great option is to taper at a slower speed and avoid the reaching for a  benzo (which is no doubt what the doc will give you for the anxiety).

That is a great book Petu recommended 'anatomy' its well worth reading.

My psychiatrist said if I don't want to add anything or up my dose or take something different all I can do is therapy and stay on my Effexor for now and my problems might just be situational due to the death.

Your psych has forgotton to tell you the option of...start a slow taper maybe even 5% per month.

It would be very wise to get a second opinion from sa on anything they advise.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Shelby,

I'm tapering Effexor myself, so wanted to say hi.  While tapering I've managed my anxiety and depression by trying out a whole lot of ideas that you can find here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/  I think people have so much more strength than doctors give us credit for - another pill is not a real answer and it can't heal you - it can only mask.  I've found it better, especially in the long run, to learn to manage things myself. 

I know it's a scary thing, and that's why it's a good idea to put some of these practises in place before you start tapering.  You can feel more in control of the process.

You might also be interested to know that Effexor (and SSRIs in general) actually cause anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts and many other problems for people.  It is at this stage that many people are 'diagnosed' as bipolar and given more meds.  But they are not bipolar - they are suffering from adverse reactions from the drug and/or withdrawal symptoms. 

You are not crazy, it is Effexor messing with your head.  Check out what the others wrote above and then if you are wanting to taper the mods can help you work out a gentle plan.  You will be okay - it can just take some time to work things out.  Remember, under all that Effexor-messiness you still have all the strength you need to get through this.  You'll get 'yourself' back.

Hugs,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Do you think it's possible to feel any different from just two days of taking one bead out? I'm thinking maybe I'm just having anxiety cause I know that I took the beads out ????

And from reading in some of the forums where people are discussing the withdrawals. I believe I am experiencing those in the last couple months without even tapering.

It probably does help it was my birthday yesterday and I got a tattoo. Which was about 2.5 hours. I'm reading that can cause flu like symptoms the next day. Which I never paid attention to in the past but now at the moment I'm sensitive to every little feeling. ????

Hey shelby—

Are you taking any vitamins or supplements while you're tapering?  I've found that vitamins are reducing my jitters and overall physical withdrawal.  Maybe it's just a placebo effect, but it's working.

Fall 2013: Celexa, Risperdal and Xanax (don't remember dosage)

Spring 2014: Switched to Fetzima, Prozac, Remeron and Ambien (again don't remember dosage)

Winter 2015: Switched to Effexor 150mg, Abilify 30mg and Temazepam 30 mg, Deplin 15mg

Spring 2015: Effexor up to 225mg, Abilify down to 20mg, Temazepam 30mg, Deplin 15mg

There was also klonopin somewhere along the way in there, but I don't recall when or how much.

3 November 2015: Failed to go off Effexor cold turkey (went down to 75mg), Abilify 20mg, Temazepam 30mg

6 December 2015: prescribed trazodone 50 and Wellbutrin 150mg, did not take and went off Effexor again

"You have to laugh at the things that hurt you just to keep yourself in balance."

—Ken Kesey 

I'm taking vitamin c and a child's multivitamin. Adult ones make me sick. I also bought some dheA and omega 3 2 days ago. I just haven't taken them yet. I believe allergies are bad too right now. Even my 8 yr old has had a hard time with the allergies. Being female I believe my hormones play a big part in my emotions. Which I'm a little scared because as of now on the meds I get more moody and anxious around that time.

What is this buzzing thing people are talking about? I believe I have started to experience a poop out effect and having withdrawal effects before even tapering. Which I am going to start tonight taking one bead out of a 75mg. The doc told me to go down to 37.5 but I heard that's a huge taper. I have been attributing all these problems to increase in anxiety but a lot of my symptoms sound like my body is in withdrawal 8 hours after I take my meds. The last couple of months I have felt really zombies out about 2 hours after taking my pill at 630 pm. I wake up about 530 in the morning and feel like crap. Wide awake and panic. Horrible thoughts of going crazy. I have been coping all day till my next dose. Back to the buzzing, does is feel like a constant background noise to your thoughts? This weird thing has been happening to me and I attributed to anxiety. Or starting to feel like I was losing it because my brain has a weird background noise that interferes with my thoughts on and off all day, which makes me even more anxious. Right now when I'm supposed to me taking my next dose it's let up a little. It's not really a buzz more like something I can't explain humming up my brain. I don't know where I should post ? I was posting in a certain spot and nobody was replying.

• Administrator

shelby, I moved your post here. Your Intro topic is the place to talk about possible withdrawal symptoms.

Are you saying you removed one bead from a 75mg Effexor capsule and felt some kind of humming later?

Do you often have persistent anxious thoughts?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

No I was having the weird background noise in and off since my anxiety and all these other weird sensations started up a couple months ago. I was thinking all these things were cause of anxiety from a death in the family but I didn't start feeling off till almost 2 months after that. I started having a full feeling behind my eyes. More insomnia then usual. More racing thoughts.

Then something I have never had a problem with , a couple of intrusive thoughts , one being " you should just kill yourself" which threw me into a panic and I'm constantly checking to see if I feel like I could want to kill myself now. As I look back now I did have an anxious feeling before that thought, my family was leaving to go to a party and I was left home to finish getting ready. It was almost like I wasn't needed. Very strange. Which as I said before I'm soooo scared of dying, that's furthest from how I really feel.

Agitation like some times I want to crawl out of my skin. And pretty much every anxiety symptom there is. I have had a couple setbacks with anxiety but it's never felt like this. Then I started thinking I was maybe becoming bipolar or schizophrenic. But it hasn't gone that far thank god. I started to think I was going to start hearing voices. Just cause it's a sound I can't control.

I took one bead out 2 days ago for two days. I got really anxious doing that. Took my whole pill last night. Saw my phych He said I was on a very low dose and wanted me to add 37.5 mg. I told him I didn't want to do that because if the meds aren't working anymore I might as well get off or switch. So then he said we'll take your Effexor and we will add another one and reduce the Effexor but I have heard then you get two effects. Withdrawal and start up. Then he said well fine go down to 37.5 and see how you do. But I'm too scared. Plus then I will have to pay out of pocket for a new Rx.

I took one of the smallest beads out tonight. I'm not even sure if that's going to do anything? Should I take two out?

My concentration has been on and off. But that could be caused by my anxiety. I noticed a lot of wanting to cry more. oh ya and I have almost had a feeling of paranoia. Not like people are after me or anything. I just get really anxious sometimes about stupid things: Maybe I need another medicine ? I don't ever remember my anxiety being so crazy. And I can't stop obsessing over it. It will subside a little and then boom comes back. Worse when I'm ovulating and going to be staring my cycle.

I guess maybe I need to stop dwelling on it which in the past has been way easier. Im trying to stay positive and make sure I'm eating and I have to take care of my kids. And another thing I was experiencing which I am assuming is anxiety. It was worse when I wasn't sleeping. This feeling would come over me anywhere from like 5-20 min. It was like a depressed dread feeling. But then I would snap myself out of it.

That's one of the main things that was making me think I was becoming bipolar with rapid mixed states. This is so confusing. Then I start worrying myself, what if I come off Effexor and I don't like my husband anymore ? I was on it when I met him. Or I'm not myself.

I was on Prozac 20mg for like 4 years before the Effexor and started experiencing bad insomnia and what I think was anxiety. They switched me to Effexor. I wish I would have just learned how to cope.

Edited by JanCarol
added paragraph breaks for clarity

As to being anxious about taking the beads out. I'm pretty sure that's just because I know I'm taking them out. The bead I took out tonight was so tiny I don't see how there could be anything inside of it?

I'm thinking at some point if I was bipolar rapid cycling I would feel somewhat normal at least one day? This has been a constant battle with anxiety. It's not getting better. Just gets worse certain times of the month due to my hormones.

I also notice my pupils dilate again like they did when I started my meds.

Sleeping has not been the same either. I sleep sometimes but still feel tired and then wake up at like 530 every morning. Then I can't go back to sleep. My crazy mind is racing.

Sorry , I just keep thinking of things. My therapist freaked me out a little. He told me I probably won't end up phsychotic but I have seem to have a little too much dopamine maybe? That's making me obsess and worry about all the feelings I have been having. But who wouldn't obsess? I went from feeling normal to all this in a matter of 4 months. Only thing I did different was started exercising kinda intensly for an hour 2 to 3 days a week for like 4 months before and then also I had that death in my family. Could I have messed up my cortisol levels by exercising ? My eyes feel strained too lately. I have just been chucking it all up to anxiety.

I have anxious thoughts, but I tend to dwell on what I'm thinking and how I will feel. Or if what I'm thinking is normal. I mean if I knew this was all just caused my "me" then maybe it would be easier to except , maybe but maybe not. But at least I would know all this exceptance and mindfulness would be worth it. But the only way I will know is by coming off. Do you think these things might let up if I start tapering down ? I'm afraid that if I'm this bad already then what will happen if I taper. But then I think if it's pooping out then it's already not working.

• Moderator Emeritus

take a deep breath!  

you are your worst enemy - your anxious mind is chattering to you - you need to learn to let it chatter, but don't listen!

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Sorry, I'm just so worked up over this dumb Effexor and how to come off. ????

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Shelby,

It will be okay.  I know there are so many fears and unknowns for you right now, but all the swirling/racing thoughts won't actually get you anywhere.  I was also very anxious when Effexor pooped out on me and I had to taper.  As I read and learned how to manage things I slowly became calmer.  Perhaps you could write a list of all the things you could do to managing this anxiety, then start doing them one by one. 

And in answer to your exercise question - yes, exercise can definately make symptoms worse.  Gentle exercise is recommended by s/a.  I do gentle yoga, but have had to give up dance - for now.  Your CNS needs you to take really good care of it right now. 

Early morning waking is also very common in withdrawal - nothing to fear there but you may want to look at what you can do to manage it.  Some people use black-out curtains, some turn on some quiet music etc.  Strained eyes - yes, also common.

Bipolar - no, you are not.  It is common for people to be 'diganosed' bipolar once SSRIs start messing them about so badly, when in fact it is actually adverse reactions and/or withdrawal symptoms.  Going down that path will complicate things further and unnecessarilly. 

From what I can see you need to step back, take some long slow breaths and start actively managing your anxiety.  Once you start to calm a little, then you will be in a much better head-space to make a tapering plan with the help of the mods.  It will happen - you just need to get this care happening first.  We are all here to support you as you start to do these things - you've got to make it happen for you.

Sending you hugs and peace and calmness,

KarenB 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

take a deep breath!  

you are your worst enemy - your anxious mind is chattering to you - you need to learn to let it chatter, but don't listen!

I like this idea and KarenB gave you some good ideas too...intense aerobic exercise can load the cns and that can set off wdl so its best to take it wasy.

Would you be so kind to put your drug sig up that would help people to understand your context immediately.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Well I finally had enough. I think it's having some kind of weird effect on me where it's too stimulating. I'm not sure if that can start happening all of a sudden after 9 years. But something is slowly caUsing me Insomnia, agitation and terrible anxiety and it's not getting and better. I decided to start my 37.5mg tonight. I am coming down from 75mg. I know it's a big drop but I need to figure out it its the Effexor making me feel so bad. I know it won't get better right away but I'm tired of feeling so crappy. Also I need to wean down to possibly switch to Zoloft. I know I should get off all together but with my kids being so young I don't know if it's the right time. I hope I don't get too many problems with the drop down to 37.5. I have only been on 75mg. Never any more than that. As far ad withdrawal my biggest fear is depression which I have never had or becoming phsychotic or delusional. Which I hope can't happen from lowering.

Not to mention this new ocd intrusive thought thing that I have developed over the last 2 months. ugh I just want to feel normal again.

So I went down from 75mg to 37.5 mg. I was already having bad anxiety. Is a withdrawal symptoms worsening or racing thoughts in the morning trying to go back to Sleep. I kept having weird conversations in my head, not with made up people but people I know. And then my mind would just start playing this song over and over. I usually do the song thing a little but not like it was this morning. And the conversation thing was almost like my brain was dreaming up conversations and scenarios but I was semi awake. It was freaking me out. My brain wouldn't shut up. Worse than usual. Only when I would try to close my eyes and fall back to sleep. I woke up at 530 am and layed like that for a coupe Hours hoping it would stop. Also more intrusive weird thoughts. But that's mostly my fault cause I read stuff on the Internet and It ends up popping into my head during times of high anxiety.

Also weird negative feelings

• Administrator

shelby, I moved your posts here. This is the place to talk about your situation, when you post here, it won't get lost.

Please read all the posts above and all the links we've given you.

After 10 years on Effexor, making a 50% cut might be self-sabotaging. I hope you do not get withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

How long do they take to stArt? I am feeling some weird sensations, but not debilitating. The think that bothered me the most was waking up with my mind racing, tried to go back to bed and layed their with my eyes closed. Kinda groggy. Kept having weird conversations and scenarios play out in my head. Not with like people that don't exist, but my friends or family. It's like I was starting to dream but wasn't asleep all the way. Also the song playing over and over in my head. Which happens to me but it was intense when I was trying to force myself back to sleep. I'm assuming once I'm awake and anxious the worst thing to do is lay there and try to go back to sleep. Wishful thinking it will happen I guess. Slight nauseous this morning and my brain feeling a little off kilter. But it comes and goes. And the intrusive ocd thought was off the scale this morning too but that seems to have calmed down. I know it's frowned upon but the doctor might switch me to Zoloft while weaning off the Effexor. And then taper of that. I wonder if long term Effexor can cause depression and anxiety because today I actually felt some of the agitation lift. Might be a placebo thing. I'm hoping not.

Hi Selby-- yea, it can happen that fast, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Effexor is no joking matter to get off of as a lot of people here can attest to.  Before things get out of control, please go back on your full dose, wait a week or so for things to settle down and then start a proper slow taper.  You will truly be better of that way.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I honestly was already having some of these issues. So even on my regular dose I was having these effects. The anxiety was becoming so intense it's been almost making me paranoid on my regular dose. I have started some of the supplements. Just the omega and some vitamins. I'm going to try and see if it gets worse in the next couple days. If it's that bad I guess I might go back up.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Shelby,

I know you want things to be right sooner, but making a big reduction is a way to make them worse sooner.  Even though you are having adverse reactions or 'poop out' to the Effexor, you still need to taper carefully.  In fact, this is even more of a reason to taper carefully.  Brassmonkey had the right idea for you.  Your CNS was not liking the Effexor, and doing a big drop is only doing another thing your CNS won't like. 

I remember how horrible it is when you're right at the start of trying to work it all out, and doing so while you're feeling bad.  You're in a tough place.  As another Effexor taperer, can I encourage you to be really gentle with yourself so as to get the best long-term outcomes?  You deserve that, at least.  I hope you are going okay, and can get back to your regular dose for stabilising.

Many hugs to you,

KarenB

8 month hold.