shelbytrev: Long term Effexor use side effects?

shelbytrev

I think he was replying because he thought I had been of everything for 5 months. Talk about experiencing real anger after a while. Oh wow. I was so worked up telling my niece how her and her mom need to stop being drug addicts and stop living off my mom. Got me all worked up last night. Have to save that stuff for the day and not right before bed :(

Panic attacks-Prozac 20mg 4 years

Effexor 75mg approx 9 years

Effexor to Zoloft 25 mg approx almost 2 weeks

Also used very low dose of Valium 1 mg sometimes 2x a day for anxiety for a month during medication changes.

Zoloft to Celexa 10 mg approx a week

Celexa to Prozac 10 mg for approx 5 weeks

Weaned off Prozac 10-5-2.5 mg

As of 1-8-2016 off everything

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shelbytrev

• Altostrata

• btdt

• Fresh

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I was hoping would start getting easier to do is losing weight. Is that something that also takes months to fix. With good eating and light exercising my weight still won't budge. I can't overdo my exercise because I don't want to stress my system. I thought after coming off the Effexor my body might lose weight easier. :..(

Also used very low dose of Valium 1 mg sometimes 2x a day for anxiety for a month during medication changes.

oops, sorry i got the location and status mixed up!!

nz11

Some people live in real strange locations!!

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Ok so now being informed that only 3 of my five months off Effexor count because I was not "med free". I'm back to debating whether or not I should reinstate. I still have some concerns. So if I reinstate. Does the withdrawal process start all over again from square one as I start tapering or of it works will it just make it easier but at a slower pace ? It just seems like it's taken forever to get where I'm at. I know it's not much progress but at least I sleep most nights. I just thought being 5 months off the Effexor which is the drug my Brian wants that it might not work. I didn't think the other ones I tried made a difference especially since they didn't work. This is so difficult , it's causing me anxiety

• Administrator
Ok so now being informed that only 3 of my five months off Effexor count because I was not "med free"

What does this mean? Who told you that?

You can reinstate anyway.

If reinstatement helps, it will reduce your withdrawal symptoms. You will be more comfortable. After a while, you can start tapering from there.

As far as the time it takes, you'll have to negotiate that with your own nervous system, not with anyone here, your family, your doctor, or anywhere else.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Why does that make any difference shelbytrev?

You have been med. free since you stopped taking prozac on 8 January.

This is what it's like at just on 3 months out.

You need to make a decision , rather than continuing to torture yourself. Please read all the relevant threads.

You'll find your questions have been answered.

If you want to read threads of people who have reinstated recently , see Franklander , moonstoneblue ,

Gumboot.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

If you just reinstate three beads (or five), that is not setting you back to square 0 as far as withdrawal is concerned.  The whole idea is to alleviate your suffering with the reinstatement, get good and stable on that, and eventually begin a very slow taper off.  You may need to switch to a liquid version to get off the very last bit since even one bead may be too high to jump from, but that is for another day.  A properly done slow taper should leave you with little to no withdrawal symptoms, and if there are any, they should be so mild as to be tolerable.  This would be done VERY SLOWLY so that your nervous system does so much of its healing, upregulating, that when you do jump off, there will only be a tiny bit more healing to do.

Do not think of being on such a low dose as a failure of some kind, because at that reinstatement dosage, relatively few receptors are blocked compared to the minimum effective dose of 37.5 mg, for instance.  A majority of your nervous system will be back recovered, so it's not so simple as "drugged" vs "drug-free."  You will be mostly drug free!  

Many have reported that as they reduce the dosage they begin to feel like their old self, think more clearly, see brighter colors, rediscover their creativity, become more motivated, experience real joy, etc., and that is while they are still on a little bit of the drug, so "mostly drug free"  :-)

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Just out of curiosity , what would the feeling of not wanting to think or getting tired of thinking or ones thoughts be called ? I get it once and a while and then I think well if I wasn't thinking I would be dead. And I don't want to be dead. Maybe from being tired ?

• Moderator Emeritus

It could be EXHAUSTIPATION . . . too tired to give a s.h.i.t.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

So besides Windows and waves

So I'm sure I read it somewhere. Is it normal for things to change weekly ? daily ? Or hourly right? Like an emotional rollercoaster ????That's part of wd? Ugh I went like a week with no nightmares and now they are back. I hate them cause it's like my mind never shuts off. At least I can fall asleep right, that must help a little.

Ok now I remember where I read it , 2 days ago Dangit my brain is mush. I guess it's normal

• Moderator Emeritus

Ok now I remember where I read it , 2 days ago Dangit my brain is mush. I guess it's normal

And where DID you read it, Shelby?

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

In an article someone posted a link to in one of the forums , why?

• Moderator Emeritus

Curious.  Wanted to read the discussion.  Do you have a link?

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

Shelby shared the link to me privately so I thought I would repost it for those who have not seen it.  It has been widely disseminated on the site but it has some valuable tidbits and concepts within.

http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/reaction.htm

The specific point Shelby was pointing to is as follows:

"In these first 3-18 months the cycles or the emotional rollercoasters (the tricks your brain is playing on you) can be extremely frightening. And it will seem like it never ends, especially when you find a bit of hope in the evening to be back at square one in the morning. Be firm! We all understand its the most frustrating experience right now for you. It's serotonin related and that's why you are experiencing delayed (withdrawal) side effects and flashbacks, but gradually it will get better. Evaluate your recovery by weeks and months, not days."

This is a great reminder.  The last sentence (which I've highlighted) is so much easier said than done but is incredibly useful to remember.

Best,

Andy

So I know it's still early for me. Not according to my husband or some people in my life. But I do have those that understand. I'm just wondering how long do we "let ourselves heal" ? I know it could be years. I guess when I get discouraged I think that maybe I'm just broken now and need medication for my new issues. How do we know for sure that this isn't just the new us? Or we do have new illnesses? I'm generally speaking for myself. No I never had these issues before coming off medications. But is it possible that maybe I do have something now that I didn't have before ? Is there a certain point where we have to just accept this is not withdrawal? (And I know I can reinstate )

• Moderator Emeritus

Shelby, see post before that Andy put up.  Your questioning whether some of your experience represents the new you is more withdrawal trickery.  You said it yourself, that you didn't have the symptoms before withdrawal so it is clearly withdrawal, and we can heal from withdrawal.  Which symptoms are you concerned about specifically?

This type of thinking is like health anxiety, which is a withdrawal symptom as well. I became friends with a member on this site who was in protracted witihdrawal from an AD and was having serious health anxiety with lots of checking behavior.  We used to check in with each other by phone.   I remember thinking to myself, maybe she's always been a hypochondriac.  But one day she went into a window and all that thinking VANISHED!  Had I not witnessed it directly, I'd have never believed it!  So, it truly was a withdrawal symptom and it went away in a fantastic window she had!  Such a perfect example of windows and waves!

So try to hang in there and not allow yourself to spend time indulging such thinking as much as you can.  Think "this is withdrawal trickery and I don't have to play!"

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

I do tend to go in circles. I guess the oh maybe I'm bipolar thinking started to kick in (like health anxiety) but in this way I am really experiencing ups and downs. Then I tend to think like the psychs and say "well maybe I always had it but was mild and it's just now getting worse or coming off the meds made me worse". I'm good when I'm up or its bearable but I have to work on getting through the bad. I start thinking maybe this is just it. I think I made a boo boo by trying a free crossfit class Saturday morming. Im very impatient and would like to get back to it. (Getting bored of Zumba) I felt good while doing the crossfit it and was ok after. But then about 2 hours later I started having really bad anxiety ( a lot of dp and just thinking too much) I also had a lot going on that day. Birthday party with lots of people was like system overload. My brain doesn't like a bunch of background noise or people talking. (Very weird) I didn't really believe that intense exercise could effect your brain like that in a bad way. And I knew I was pms but thought it was still a week away. But I started my monthly friend today :( that probably has a lot to do with it. My anxiety (which I had a tiny bit while on meds before that time) and what I'm guessing is depression now ramps up right before and during, along with all my "new" symptoms.

My mind wouldn't shut off last night every time I closed my eyes. And every time I would nod off my body would surge with adrenaline and I just had that scared feeling. Woke up and now I see why. I guess when I went to that one lady psych and she tried to put me on a mood stabilizer 2 months after coming off the Effexor kinda messed me up. I didn't take it cause I try to believe deep

Down in my heart this isn't the new me and is withdrawal. I just wonder if there are some people that end up having a new illness but think it's wothdrawal. Or how would I even know. (Besides reinstating which might not even work).

On a positive note, which I tend not to get too excited just yet cause I know at any time it can get worse again, even if I think about it too much. So far a little over a week I have been able to ease up on the intrusive

Thoughts repeating in my head. They are still there and I think about the thoughts but it's been easier to not dwell or keep repeating over and over. Been kinda nice, but then the dp and depressed feelings got a little worse(maybe pms? It's only my 3rd monthly visit since being completely off and it's a crazy ride)

It's like a trade off lol. My brain says "here I will ease up on this for you just a bit but here's a other one to take its place" grrr

Does anyone know of sites that support people going through withdrawal?

• Moderator Emeritus

Um yes, survivingantidepressants.org.  A site for peer support for tapering and withdrawal syndrome!?!

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I meant besides this one. Where people can talk more about there experiences. I thought I read in here somewhere this site was supposed to be more I informational. Not so much small talk.

• Moderator Emeritus

There is a facebook page.  Vonnegutjunky started it.

Just found the info.  It's only visible to members:  i-started-a-private-facebook-group-for-sa-members-only/

Just remember if you have a facebook account in your real name, it will be known by other members.

There is also an Off Topics section here on SA.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I'm guessing this is probably not a good time to try birth control for the first time? My woman friends say it can really balance you out for woman problems. But I'm kinda worried it might not work properly on me since I'm in withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

changes-to-menstrual-cycle-during-withdrawal/

A post by Alto:  "A lot of women seem to find antidepressants affect their cycles, in different ways. They're hormonal disruptors. Some people find the disruption beneficial, others not so much."

I would be afraid to start now hormonal birth control. I think it is the same sh*t like antidepressants. My previous colleague gained on it 40 kg, before she had 60 kg weight and during birth control 100 kg, what is huge. She had to stop it and keep diet for half a year to get again normal.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

was on Effexor 75mg for 9 years. Then when they were trying to switch me when those stopped they tried Zoloft. Took that for like 2 weeks. Then Celexa for 2 weeks. Then Prozac for about 5 weeks. So off the Prozac for almost 11 weeks. So that would put me off Effexor for almost 6 months give or take a week. In that time I have only taken 1 Valium and 1 Xanax. I was not on Prozac for 3 months.

your drug history says this

"Also using very low dose of Valium 1 mg sometimes 2x a day for anxiety"

Sorry I have been away I have been unwell.  

It seems none of the other drugs have taken the place of Effexor maybe in part because it is a SNRI which docs have tried to replace with an SSRI ... SSRI does not have norephinephrine so your body may well still be missing it... 

Please address the amount of valium sorry for bothering about it but this is important. 

peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Well just when I thought I had every symptom now a new thing is popping up. Not sure if this is wd related or just my brains way of checking out for a bit. The inner voice thing and thoughts are not so loud today. But yesterday and today I have had this intense feeling of emptiness. Almsot like I can't think but I am obviously because I'm functioning. Almost like when my brain is not constantly talking I feel empty. It's very strange. I almost feel lost. Maybe it's depression ? Like I don't know what to think about ... Cause my mind isn't racing with inner dialogue. So then that causes me anxiety. Maybe I have become so used to that symptom I'm not sure what normal thoughts are supposed to be like? And I know I'm still having anxiety because I'm obsessing about not having the chatter in my brain. And on top of that my mood is low because I'm not getting along too well with my husband. I feel so lonely in my life. Which I would get on meds sometimes when we would have issues but it was slightly different. It's like I gave become addicted to the intrusive thoughts and inner charger and when they calm down I feel dead inside. Does that even make any sense ?? You would think I would be happy they are gone.

I think both are symptoms of withdrawal also emotional deadness and also racing thoughts. The symptoms come and go, can change many times, then the old ones come back, it is all part of the recovery, and it is nothing scary about.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• 2 weeks later...

How can you tell the difference if your relapses years off are from wd or just depression or anxiety creeping up again? I cant expect to be anxiety free because I had it before meds. I'm only 4 months out and I have a hard enough time convincing myself what I'm going through is wd and not a new illness. I can't imagine 3 years later convincing myself it's wd. i believe that's where they throw out the bipolar diagnosis. As of now it's been so long for me to remember what "normal" felt like. At 4 months things change everyday. Sometimes I feel like maybe I might be making a the smallest amount of progress. But then I question that maybe I'm just getting used to feeling crappy all the time and adapting. Did you feel like that in the first year ? Sorry not trying to sound negative , just trying to understand.

That's exactly it....no rhyme or reason....! You told me yourself that your anxiety didn't ever feel like this before (different symptoms) so use that to reassure yourself that this is WD.

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

I understand that totally. I just question it now so at 3 yrs I think it would be even more unbelievable. But by then I might have figured it out a bit more. I never had depression before meds so it's hard for me to compare the aspect of it. I would get the blues but not like this. The intrusive thoughts I did have once after my 5 year old was born. But I was still on Effexor and those eventually went away. They were the normal "what if I hurt my baby?" So I would like to think those were just caused from hormones and sleep deprivation. But after wd they were out of control. They are getting a little better with mindfulness but it's still hard. As far as I know this is what depression feels like. The anxiety yes, as I explain it to people it's like being on a bad drug trip. Doesn't help to be a woman with raging hormones either. That alone can make you feel crazy. But being off meds and getting past wd I'm guessing we could still be susceptible to anxiety and depression for the rest of out lives right?

The fact that you never had depression before meds is quite telling.

Baby blues and intrusive thoughts are really quite common but so many people never get help for it.

I'm sure after WD everyone will be susceptible to regular anxiety etc but after getting through WD anxiety which is like regular anxiety amplified, you'll know how to deal better.

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi shelbytrev,

I moved your post and responses from a topic in the success forum to your own intro thread, because its related more to your own situation.

I'm also drug free, in protracted withdrawal and sometimes wonder how much of this is my original anxiety. I like what coldturkmama wrote, comparing the symptoms we have now to what we experienced before taking medication is how to know if its still related to withdrawal.

Like you, I started on antidepressants for anxiety, but it was generally quite mild and mostly triggered by situations and events. In between stressful times, I was able to relax, be happy and function very well. But now, my symptoms are unrelated to what's going on in my life, they are just there and I have new symptoms which I never experienced before starting on medication.

I also didn't experience depression before taking anti-depressants, but after being on them for a few weeks, I experienced my first episode of it. It lasted several months and then improved, but the whole time I was on antidepressants I felt like I had a low level of depression most of the time. Now that I'm recovering from withdrawal, it cycles around with the anxiety type symptoms.

I noticed in your signature you were using valium regularly, how did you stop taking it? After regular use benzos usually need to be tapered in order to avoid withdrawal symptoms. When did you last take valium?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I never took Valium regularly. I used maybe max 2 mg a day on and off for a month. And mostly at night to help sleep. But it only helped a little so I stopped before it became an issue. They gave it to me to ease the transition of changing meds. But nothing helped because I was already in poopout.

I changed my sig. So we can't ask other members questions ? I was just trying to explain where I was coming from.