Austin: Going cold turkey off Effexor

Austin

Maybe I shouldn't be relaying such personal info on a public forum while using my real name, but here goes. . .

Nice to meet you.  I'm Austin.  I am currently withdrawing from Effexor. Cold turkey. I've felt more real feelings —actual happiness and sadness, if you can believe it; I'd honestly forgot what it felt like to want to cry or smile— in the last few days than I can remember feeling for at least a year. I am not too thrilled about my prospects, but at the same time, I feel better than I have in years.

The other day, I finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for like the ninth or tenth time. I cried at this: "You have to laugh at the things that hurt you just to keep yourself in balance." It never stuck out to me previously, but that hit me right in the feels this time and I am glad it did, because it's true. So true.

I'm currently withdrawing mostly because of insurance hassles and things falling through, but now that it's been almost a week, I think I've decided that I'd like to stay off of it. Pardon my indiscretion, but it's a little like smoking pot, except music isn't as fun, because it mostly just makes me want to cry. Definitely has all the wooziness and munchiness of a strong couple of tokes (but without the more fun aspects). It was a long train of events that led me to get on the pills in the first place, which I'll spare you here, but I have been in institution three times over the last 18 or so months. It's been an interesting couple of years and I've found myself here, recently dumped by the (former) love of my life and now living in a new city, under my mother's roof again without a job. I'm 34. To say that I've recently been suicidal is like saying the day is bright and the night is dark.

I'm still here. Broken down and bruised. But here.

It is a HUGE DEAL to go off Effexor cold turkey. As I've said, I'm six days in, dizzy and nauseous as ever, up and down emotionally. I'm lucky in that I have people around me that are like, "What do you need from me?" and it's okay if I tell them to go away or whatever. Nobody gets offended.

I've read on other forums that vitamins are supposed to help with the dizziness, so I'm currently doubling doses of B Complex and a regular multi, along with a 1400mg omega three. It seems to help a little bit and keeps my appetite under control (before I started on the vitamins, I was hungry and eating round the clock).

Going off wasn't my choice.  It's pretty unfair that someone can just say "NO"  when it's something I was dependent upon.  I like to use the analogy that if it were insulin or blood pressure meds, there would be outrage if I were to just be denied of it.

So, let me backtrack and explain how I ended up going cold turkey——

I moved out of state. My old doc wrote me a three month supply to give me enough time to get in sign up for new insurance and get established with a new doc. Thing is Medi-Cal, is slow to get me into the system, so I'm still not established with a new doc (which should have been just fine, with my ninety days worth of medication) and yet they tell me they won't honor an out of state prescription. Friendly, eh?  So, I finally get in to see a general practitioner, who writes me a new prescription, which is rejected by the insurance because the dosage was deemed too high, so they needed to get a secondary authorization from my new doc. The doc has not yet responded, so they will not clear the prescription.

Feeling really low these last couple of days. I think I'm on the downside of the withdrawal because the wooziness and dizzy spells aren't nearly as strong as they were a couple days ago. I should be pleased about this, but all I can think about is how going off the Effexor is equal to throwing down my shield on the battlefield and trying to continue fighting without it. I've been continuing to take the 20mg tablets of Abilify (aripiprazole)‎ for two reasons: maybe taking them is having a placebo effect (or that's what I tell myself) and I don't know if I would experience double withdrawal if I stopped. I was on 30mg tablets, but my old doc wanted to try and taper me off of it because she was concerned that it was disrupting my sleep————

In any case, I have an entire bottle of the 30mg tablets and just got my 30 day 20mg tablet supply refilled yesterday. I've been googling what the effects of overdose would be. I certainly have enough to overdose, I'm just not sure it would be lethal (can't find anything definitive). Kind of scared. I mean, why am I looking that up?

In to see the new therapist on Thursday.

I have a question for my other anti-depressant takers: do you have any experience with Deplin (l methylfolate)? My old doc ran a test on me and discovered it was a supplement that I was lacking in, so prescribed that for me. From what I understand, it helps your body metabolize the anti-depressant more efficiently (and presumably, work better). 'Course, that's out the window now, too.

So here I am.  Been reading this forum for a few days now, but couldn't sleep, so decided to dive in.

Fall 2013: Celexa, Risperdal and Xanax (don't remember dosage)

Spring 2014: Switched to Fetzima, Prozac, Remeron and Ambien (again don't remember dosage)

Winter 2015: Switched to Effexor 150mg, Abilify 30mg and Temazepam 30 mg, Deplin 15mg

Spring 2015: Effexor up to 225mg, Abilify down to 20mg, Temazepam 30mg, Deplin 15mg

There was also klonopin somewhere along the way in there, but I don't recall when or how much.

3 November 2015: Failed to go off Effexor cold turkey (went down to 75mg), Abilify 20mg, Temazepam 30mg

6 December 2015: prescribed trazodone 50 and Wellbutrin 150mg, did not take and went off Effexor again

"You have to laugh at the things that hurt you just to keep yourself in balance."

—Ken Kesey 

Austin welcome.

Hey you arent the only one who cant sleep its 4.30 am right now. This is a good day .

You certainly havent put your toe in the water well done on diving in with a great informative intro.

Look i am so sorry you are in this position.

I feel angry for you that the system has left you in a position that is unacceptable. Basically 'dumped' by docs as well.

How can the medical profession do this oaths and all?

There must be an organisation that can step in ...can your phone the drug company themselves to get some drug ...i think it is Wyeth right? Explain to them your situation.

I have been in institution three times

My feeling is unless you get some effexor and ri you may be  heading for a 4th time in an institution. Were you sent to an institution before cos of CT of psych drugs?

Even the drug companies  say dont CT. Diving into a CT is not recommended.

Were you on other drugs prior to the effexor .?

You are beginning to exhibit classic withdrawal symptoms.

I hope something can be done to resolve this .

Its now 5.15am hey it appears sa is on kiwi time. Hadnt noticed that before.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hey nz—

All things considered, I'm in a pretty low stress environment.  It wasn't my choice to go cold turkey, but I'm feeling better about it every day.

Am not really feeling like a fourth trip to the psych ward, thanks  :)

But seriously, in the past I've been to institution two times because I was stockpiling pills and one time because of an attempt.  Not really sure how else to put it: I wanted to die (or thought I did).  I haven't really felt like that since being off the Effexor.  I was looking up Abilify OD because, well, I don't know honestly.  I guess I was curious.  It's a weird thing to be curious about, I concede.  But who knows.  I'm in a very stable, quiet environment right now, so I don't feel bad emotionally.  I'm up and down, but I realize that's the withdrawal and not really indicative of my true feelings: that I'm glad to be getting off the pills.  

My mom keeps contacting CalOptima (which is the insurance that denied the prescription initially) and all these places, but I called it a week ago when the news first came down: they're going to make it as difficult as possible for me to get the meds. Maybe not intentionally, but that's just how broken the system is.

I've made it this far, so fine. I never want to take those pills again.

Feeling a bit more sprightly this morning, despite very little sleep.

Spring 2014: Switched to Fetzima, Prozac, Remeron and Ambien (again don't remember dosage)

Winter 2015: Switched to Effexor 150mg, Abilify 30mg and Temazepam 30 mg, Deplin 15mg

Spring 2015: Effexor up to 225mg, Abilify down to 20mg, Temazepam 30mg, Deplin 15mg

There was also klonopin somewhere along the way in there, but I don't recall when or how much.

3 November 2015: Failed to go off Effexor cold turkey (went down to 75mg), Abilify 20mg, Temazepam 30mg

6 December 2015: prescribed trazodone 50 and Wellbutrin 150mg, did not take and went off Effexor again

"You have to laugh at the things that hurt you just to keep yourself in balance."

—Ken Kesey 

ok well thats your decision just be aware that wdl symptoms are delayed. Perhaps you are one of the lucky majority .

Your name reminds me of my favouriteTV show as a kid

"Austin,...Steve Austin... astronaut. A man barely alive.

We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster."

Hey your first name wouldnt happen to be Steve would it!! Perhaps you really are the 6 million dollar man....gee sounds so cheap these days.

nz11

Mr 2%

6.47 am ..hey sa time really is kiwi time!!..spooky! do do doo dooooooo!! do do do do do do do do doooo.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

The next minute will be better, which means the next hour will be better, which means the next day will be better. Yeah, one day at a time, y'know.  

No, Austin is my middle name.  Don't know why, but it's what I've gone by ever since I can remember.

—Ken Kesey 

Okay, I updated my sig to the proper format I think.  Sorry it was so vague previously.

—Ken Kesey 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Austin,

I'm sorry to hear that you are in this situation through no fault of your own.

Since you still have a prescription, would you be able to get it filled by an online pharmacy?  I'm in Australia so have no idea how it works in the US.

Good luck.  I hope the "drought" breaks for you soon.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Chessie—

Thanks for your message.  No, the insurance company will still say no without the secondary prior authorization.  My new doc is the one holding things up.  Doesn't matter what the prescription is written for, insurance still has the authority to veto it, apparently.

Like I said, it's a broken system.  

—Ken Kesey 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi  Austin,

That's really disappointing to hear.  Don't give up, keeping trying, keep pushing.  The worst they can do is say no, but they also might say yes.  Sometimes we just have to fight.  Maybe PM Altostrata (this web's owner) to see if she has any ideas???

Hang in there.  There will be lots of the members here supporting you in spirit.

Hope to hear some good news from you soon.

Take care of yourself as best you can (and don't turn to alcohol - I've been tempted but managed not to - and I've never been a drinker!!!).

CC

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

No, drink is what ended me up in institution the first time.  Can say I've been alcohol free and not even tempted through this whole thing.

—Ken Kesey 

Just awoke to a very disturbing hallucination.  I could feel something walking on me and around me on the bed.  I used to have a cat that did this, but no pets anymore, so. . .

Just spent about ten minutes inspecting under the bed and in the closet to make sure there really isn't anything there.  Gonna have a midnight snack and listen to some records in an attempt to calm down, but am completely freaked out right now.  Heart is racing, cold sweat, shakiness, trouble taking deep breaths, the whole lot.  

Is it wise to be taking benadryl to help me get back to sleep at times like this?

—Ken Kesey 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Austin,

It can be very alarming when something like that happens and of course our bodies react with the fight or flight and all of the related chemicals throughout our bodies.  Distraction and self soothing are good.  And try not to think back over what happened.  It happened and is over.  If the thoughts start coming back, acknowledge them and let it go on their way.

Just don't put on rap or rock'n'roll music.  You'd never get back to sleep.

Good luck.

CC

• Administrator

Welcome, Austin.

When exactly did you take your last Effexor?

Have your withdrawal symptoms gotten better or worse since then?

If you have a valid prescription, you can get it filled for around $20 without insurance, see http://www.goodrx.com/effexor-xr#/?filter-location=&coords=&label=venlafaxine+ER&form=capsule&strength=150mg&quantity=30.0&qty-custom=Even taking 150mg capsules at this point would be better than cold turkey.

As for the Medicaid paperwork, you need to phone your doctor and tell him it's an emergency, you can't get your prescription filled and you're experiencing severe withdrawal syndrome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hey Alto—

The last time I had any venlafaxine was last Tuesday (11/3).  The aripiprazole prescription was not a problem to fill (reasoning unknown here), so I'm still taking 20mg/day of that.

I can deal with the physical stuff — the dizzy spells, shakiness, etc.— it's the lack of sleep that's getting to me.  I am on temazepam 30mg capsules, but I think I've developed a tolerance, because it doesn't seem to do anything anymore.  Which is why I asked if it's wise to be taking benadryl to help with my sleep (which is what I've been doing; it puts me to sleep for a bit, but never more than three or four hours at a time — but hey, better than nothing!).

I've phoned everyone numerous times explaining that I'm completely out, but the answer seems to be that, without a psych being involved, nobody really cares.

Did see a therapist/social worker this morning, where they set me up with Orange County Mental Health, who informed me that I should be hearing from a psych today to discuss med management.  So, hooray for that.  

Thanks for the link.  We'll see what the psych says when they call.

Just don't put on rap or rock'n'roll music.  You'd never get back to sleep.

Ha, no, I mostly listen to my own music when feeling anxious/scared/depressed because it reminds me of happier times when I was able to be creative.

—Ken Kesey 

• Administrator

Withdrawal insomnia is very harsh and cause you to react paradoxically to benzos -- they keep you awake instead of helping you sleep.

Reinstatement of even a partial dose is the recommended way to deal with withdrawal syndrome.

Withdrawal syndrome is serious. If necessary, you could go to the emergency room and tell them you've run out of Effexor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

So just got the phone with the psych office.  They can't get me in until 2 December!  And yes, I did tell them my medication situation.  Didn't seem to phase the girl on the phone one bit.

Called the pharmacy, just to see, and yep, they still say the venlafaxine requires a secondary prior authorization.  Over a week later.

On the line now with Alta-Med (where the general practitioner is).  Will report back.

—Ken Kesey 

• Moderator Emeritus

Another thought, vitamins (including B vitamins) can make withdrawal symptoms much worse.  Have a read of the topics in  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/606-important-topics-about-tests-supplements-treatments-diet/ and see what you think.  You may be much better of without them.

I'm another Effexor taperer and from what I've experienced, I'd encourage you to reinstate a small amount, then stabilise and then gently taper.  Withdrawal comes in windows and waves, ie gets better, worse, better worse.  Your best bet for a good long-term is to follow the advice the others have given you.  Waiting it out can mean too much stress for your central-nervous-system, and then you could get delayed withdrawal down the track. 

I'm so sorry how 'the system' is treating you - there is no excuse for such inhumanity.  You'll get plenty of support at s/a.

Hugs,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Well, the doc says he signed off on the secondary prior authorization (twice, in fact) and it's in the hands of CalOptima — yet again.  CalOptima says it can take up to seven business days for clearance.  Seems to me like nobody wants to take responsibility and just say, "Hey we need the prescription from a psych, not a GP."  That's a reasonable enough answer.  I'm more angered by the runarounds and finger pointing than I am about my withdrawal symptoms.

What-friggin'-ever.

—Ken Kesey 

• Moderator Emeritus

are you in a position to pay for the prescription yourself, not through your insurance?  it could be a small price to pay in the long run

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Hi peggy—

No, they want $300+ for a 30 day supply.  That's a real good way to break the bank real fast  :unsure:

Am looking into the link Alto posted, but since this is a new prescription, it would require my GP to call/fax them.  And that's worked so well for me thus far  :rolleyes:

Like I said, whatever.  Made it this far.

—Ken Kesey 

Peggy took the words right out of my mouth ...'it would be a small price to pay.'

Better to hit the bank than to be hit by 'blunt force trauma to the brain'

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Austin - 

the red tape you have been caught in is suck-o-mania!  I'm with Alto - before it gets any worse, check into Emergency room and get some Effexor/venlafaxine.  There is more than one way to skin a cat, and I think you've chosen the one with the fangs and claws on!

You don't have to have the full dose to get relief.  

You claim you are in a low-stress / no stress situation, but the drug doesn't really care about that.  I'll quote you:

It is a HUGE DEAL to go off Effexor cold turkey. 

You got that right!  And dangerous.  Very dangerous.  You are flirting with all kinds of evil possibilities (which I won't name, they are splashed all over this website and the interwebs).

You claim:

I think I'm on the downside of the withdrawal because the wooziness and dizzy spells aren't nearly as strong as they were a couple days ago. 

But what you don't realize is that Effexor (and all SSRI / SNRI) drugs often have a "honeymoon phase" in withdrawal.  You see more clearly, the fog of the drug lifts, and you think you're better than ever before.  

This is equivalent to the ecstasy of feeling the air rushing by as you've jumped off a cliff.  

Thing is, with antidepressants, that fall to the bottom of the cliff may take 6 months, 8 months, a year.  Then, when you smash to the bottom, you are shattered into a million tiny pieces that you have to pick up.  IT IS MUCH EASIER, SAFER, SMARTER, to rappell down that cliff a little at a time, to control your symptoms before they control you.

MAYBE you will be one of the lucky ones who walks away from it - but given your history, I'd say that's a dangerous gamble.

This is alarming:

In any case, I have an entire bottle of the 30mg tablets and just got my 30 day 20mg tablet supply refilled yesterday. I've been googling what the effects of overdose would be. I certainly have enough to overdose, I'm just not sure it would be lethal (can't find anything definitive). Kind of scared. I mean, why am I looking that up?

and

But seriously, in the past I've been to institution two times because I was stockpiling pills and one time because of an attempt.

This forum is not equipped to deal with suicide counseling, and is therefore not the place to discuss methods.  This site needs to be safe for all members.  If you are seriously suicidal, please see:

Help for those who are feeling desperate or suicidal.

and if you want to know why you are researching, you might read:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4678-thoughts-of-suicide

which is a discussion of how the DRUGS cause many suicidal obsessions.

To find someone to talk to NOW:

http://www.befrienders.org/

http://www.samaritans.org/

Please, casually dropping these hints can be distressing to our members.  Please seek face to face help for your suicidal urges.

I'll be back in a mo with some suggestions about your supplements.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay Austin, you asked:

I have a question for my other anti-depressant takers: do you have any experience with Deplin (l methylfolate)? My old doc ran a test on me and discovered it was a supplement that I was lacking in, so prescribed that for me. From what I understand, it helps your body metabolize the anti-depressant more efficiently (and presumably, work better). 'Course, that's out the window now, too.

I have to compliment your doc for looking for this. Psych drugs deplete B12, Folate, Vit D, and sometimes zinc (sorry, I don't have studies for this, just hanging out with my "Orthomolecular" doc.)  If you are depleted in this, it will do no harm to take it.  I take it, and my recent blood tests indicate I can decrease my dose.  I take an over the counter version, though.

However, you are in withdrawal.  B vitamins in particular can exacerbate withdrawal symptoms, even if you are depleted.  Try cutting out your B vitamins for a few days to see if your symptoms improve.  That will tell you if they are overstimulating or not.

See:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/43-vitamin-b3-niacin-niacinamide/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8532-vitamin-b6/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?showtopic=419

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5547-the-importance-of-mthfr-methylation-and-b-vitamins/?hl=vitamin

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1328-deplin-the-l-methylfolate-swindle/

About Benadryl:

Just spent about ten minutes inspecting under the bed and in the closet to make sure there really isn't anything there.  Gonna have a midnight snack and listen to some records in an attempt to calm down, but am completely freaked out right now.  Heart is racing, cold sweat, shakiness, trouble taking deep breaths, the whole lot.  

Is it wise to be taking benadryl to help me get back to sleep at times like this?

Alto told you that your temazepam might be "pooping out" or going paradoxical on you now that you are in withdrawal.

It is the same with Benadryl.  It might work once, then never again.  I use it occasionally, but no more than once a week, to make sure I don't get "used to it."

This may be true of any supplements you take - maybe you were fine with them before withdrawal, but they will cause problems - or just be useless - while you are in withdrawal.

You optimistically state:

The next minute will be better, which means the next hour will be better, which means the next day will be better.

This is ***so*** the right attitude!  

However, in withdrawal, recovery comes in Waves and Windows.  I tell you this, not so you will expect the worst, but if and when things do get worse (and they certainly can, just read around some threads at the site to see what can happen), you will know:  this is just the withdrawal.  So often, we are told by the doctors, "See?  It's your 'original illness' returning, you need to stay on the drugs," when really, the symptoms are caused by the drugs or withdrawal from them.

Here are some cartoons which exemplify what you can expect in withdrawal.

Withdrawal Dialogues - cartoons to encourage you

Please keep us posted on the "saga to acquire Effexor" and how you are going?  Welcome to SA!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi JC-

Forgive any typos, as I'm replying from my phone.

Just got off the phone a bit ago with the pharmacy and they've filled the prescription for the Effexor. Now I'm in a quandry, because of issues beyond my control, I will be unable to pick up the the pills until Tuesday.

I've started to feel more dizziness and flu like symptoms today than the past couple of days. My appetite is out the window as well.

When I do get the prescription filled, I plan to start tapering.

—Ken Kesey 

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great news.  Hang in there.  Not long now.

So how long is it since you had a dose and what was it?  Just so someone can suggest what dosage to reinstate.

Last day 5th Nov 225mg?    If this is correct it will be 12 days once you get the medication.  You may need to take a bit less. 

CC

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Austin , welcome to the site.

As I've been reading through your posts , I was considering sending you the link to a video of me when I was

extremely sick with w/d symptoms.  Now that I see you're going to try reinstating , I'll hold off.

However strong you think you are , you have no idea of what w/d can do to you.  For alot of us , the initial week

of feeling good , more alive , euphoric , etc  is replace by more disturbing symptoms as time goes on.

This often peaks around 6-9 months after stopping.  And by then there's no quick fix.

When you get your Effexor , you don't start tapering.  

You allow yourself to stabilize on the lowest dose possible , and this may take more than a month.  

Then , once all your symptoms have resolved , you wait.

After this hiccup , you may want to wait another month or two.

And then , that is when you begin to taper.  

However bad things get in the next few days , remind yourself that it's temporary , it's due to w/d , and 

you're going to get better from this.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Austin, don't underestimate yourself, you can do this thing.

Are you getting 225mg capsules? You went off Effexor on November 11?

It sounds like you won't be able to take any until Tuesday, Nov. 17?

I *think* I will be getting 75mg capsules. That's what I had before anyway. I was taking three of those daily, for a total of 225mg. The last time I had any was 3 November, which was a partial dose; two 75mg capsules (that was all I had left). It looks like I will be getting my pills for sure this coming Tuesday (17 November), which will be two weeks exactly since I last had any venlafaxine.

Started having trouble with auditory things this morning and feeling very shakey. I've made it this far so I know I can do it, but it is getting harder.

—Ken Kesey 

• Administrator

You might want to try 2 capsules, or 150mg, to start. That might be enough to stop the withdrawal symptoms. Give 150mg at least 4 days to take effect.

Please let us know how you're doing.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please go ahead and reinstate as Alto stated, Austin!  I went through the hell of Effexor WD last year and was lucky that reinstating at 37.5 mg around 10 months out worked!  I am now doing the slow taper.  I didn't realize at the time that all the horror I was experiencing was due to Effexor WD, because the emotional symptoms didn't hit until five or six months out.  By god, I will do everything in my power to ever end up there again!

I've read it over and over in threads on this forum and elsewhere, people thinking they can just tough it out from CT and never wanting to put "that poison in my body ever again," but they end up brought to their knees with completely debilitating WD symptoms that last many months and beyond.  See OffEFFexor as one of them:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7538-offeffexor-hello-everybody/#entry109110

17 plus months out from CT and still having waves.

We are all trying to spare you that outcome, so please do the reinstatement and then taper carefully and slowly from there!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

Yeah, I thought I could do it, but my withdrawal seems to be getting worse, not better so I think I've changed my mind about going cold turkey.

Should I continue on the Deplin (l methyfolate)?

—Ken Kesey 

• Administrator

How long have you been taking Deplin? Please put it in your signature.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Don't go CT because you will find yourself in such a hell that you never thought was possible. The suffering is beyond this world and beyond description. Listen to the advice you get here. This is a very serious matter, don't take it lightly. It's not about "being strong". It's about causing severe trauma to the brain and nervous system. I recently did a very stupid thing messing with a new drug while in WD and let me tell you that now I am barely surviving second by second and don't even know if I'll even get better after this trauma. I have to tell you the suffering is unimaginable. You don't want to go there, trust me... Learn from others' mistakes and be smart about this. 

Good luck with your reinstatement. Let us know how you feel and how you're coping. When you can, read the forum. There is no better advice on WD and tapering anywhere else in the world. This is the best place. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

Thanks for your encouragement blue.

Sig updated.

—Ken Kesey 

Hi Austin. Cold turkey, thats very brave and I wont offer my advice there since most have already said it. I do understand wanting to do it that way.

I do have one piece of advice as a Canadian living in the US with no insurance. If yoy do change your mind about CT. You can get brand name effexor xr up to 150mg for just 30 dollars every month (no expiry) by signing up on their official website. They give you a card but only certain pharmacies accept it (they give you a list). My local Kroger accepts it and I honestly dont know how id survive if they didnt.

If that interests you at any time let me know and I can find you the link. Its totally legit and really almost too good to be true. I guess they do that so they can keep even the uninsured or unemployed addicted to their poison.

As for the suicidal thoughts, the important thing is that you do recognize them. Ive had the same issue with effexor and its very scary to have thoughts like that. But very normal when dealing with effexor. So just remember that. Youll eventually gain control over your mind again so dont give up.

I can somewhat emphasize with your situation. My (ex) left me a couple years ago almost and I was devastated. I ended up with a new guy who is amazing after being heartbroken for a very long time. For the first six months of our relationship we lived at my parents and finally just got out this month. He is 36 btw, divorced recently and we were both new to town. There is no shame in seeking support from the parents during hardships. Really all that matters is that you make progress. You are actually lucky to have them there while you go through this. Its no easy thing, especially CT. Do keep us informed of your progress. And welcome to the club lol.

Oh and I couldnt help but chuckle at your marijuana comments. Ive been shy to talk about that here. I really wish I had of just stuck with that 7 years ago instead of taking this poison. I enjoyed some in Washington recently now if only TN can get on board with the legalization, lol.

Effexor XR:

July 2008: 150mg | June 24 2015: 145mg | July 28 2015: 130.5mg | Sept 4 2015: 117mg | Nov 10 2015: 105mg

Jan 24 2016: 94.5mg | Feb 28 2016: 85mg | Mar 27 2016: 76.5mg | Apr 28 2016: 69mg | Aug 14 2016: 62mg

Jan 19 2017: 56mg | Feb 21 2017: 50mg | Mar 30 2017: 36mg | Apr 2 2017: 45mg | Sep 1 2019: 27.5mg

April 9 2020: 25.2mg | Oct 30 2021: 16.9mg | Apr 1 2023: 15.2mg | May 1 2023: 13.7mg | May 31 2023: 12.3mg

July 1 2023: 11.1mg | Aug 1st 2023: 10mg | Sep 25 2023: 9mg | Oct 25 2023: 8.1mg

Vitamins & Supplements:

MegaFood Women's Postnatal Vitamin | Metagenix D3 5000 IU | Floradix Liquid Iron

Hi bugged-

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Update:

Was able to get my Effexor today.  They gave me a 60 day supply of 225mg/day in the form of 60 150mg and 60 75mg capsules.  So, if I am taking my full dosage, I will be taking one 150mg capsule and one 75mg capsule daily.

I have decided to take one 150mg capsule today.

—Ken Kesey