herenow: my intro - mirtazapine help

herenow

• Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful and powerful poetry.  :D

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 1 year later...

I didn't realize it had been a year since I posted last. The time has really flown. I have been doing better and avoiding anything as much as possible that reminds me of all the medication hell I had been in. I'm not sure that is the best course, though, to avoid.

I have had enough medicine since I'm on low doses that I haven't seen any provider for a year, but now I need more medication, and it would have been helpful,  I think, to have established a provider. I "graduated" from my previous provider because I was doing so much better but now need to see someone else for my prescriptions. So, I am in that process. I've been afraid to not be believed again or empowered to take things at my own pace. I'm worried I won't get the medicine.

Despite the occasional panic, early morning wakenings, and down feelings, I have been holding down my job and I've increased my hours lately to almost full time, which is a huge milestone for me. I haven't committed to a regular full time job as I'm trying to work extra during the school year so I can work less during the summer and keep my kids at home instead of paying so much for childcare.

Last night, I drank some new chia health drink, and this morning, I'm feeling somewhat panicky and weepy, like I didn't take one of my meds. I haven't decreased in a few months, so it doesn't make sense to me unless that drink somehow made everything go through too quickly or made my medicine not work as well.  I have to go to work in a little while and I'm scheduled for 8 hours today. I'm hoping I can manage. I probably will but I tend to worry.

I'm so glad this site is here. I always find something helpful when I get on here. 

I've resigned myself that it may take a very long time for me to get off these meds as I seem so sensitive, and I don't want to lose much of my progress.  I dropped my Paxil 3 times this year from 1.5 mg ai to 1.2 mg ai. I did 0.1 a month.

I am currently on 1.2 mg of Paxil and 2.5 mg of mirtazapine.

Also, is there a way to go back into a post and set the button for notifications? I saw that button just as I posted my post, but when I go back into edit, I don't see that option anymore. 

2014-2015, tapered off risperdal 1 mg done 11/14, Librium 2/15 from 25 mg (switched from Klonopin), and Prozac 40 mg to 20 mg and went off without tapering last 20 mg I think (no record of that) by March or April 2015. Possible rebound anxiety started in May 2015 (plus I'm anxious anyway but controlled usually).

Flexeril in August 2015 (for a couple weeks) and then 1 5 mg dose of Prozac in September 2015. Either going off flexeril or trying the Prozac or both plus my previous jump off Prozac that spring set off withdrawal symptoms, which at the time I just thought was severe anxiety due to a frightening situation that had happened plus insomnia and neuro symptoms. Also had a 1-week of steroid in July 2015 that made things a lot worse (anxiety, obsessing)

Buspar, Sept. 2015, didn't work well (severe chest pain), tapered off. Ambien, 2 nights for terrible new insomnia. Afraid of Ambien and went on Mirtazapine. Tried some ativan 2 or 3 times during this time, felt great while on, but rebound anxiety severe so stopped.

Mirtazapine 15 mg, 1 night on Oct. 9 '15, brain fog, too sedated, groggy all day; Mirtazapine 7.5 mg for about a week. Told pdoc didn't like bc side effects. He said I could jump off. Tapered down to 5.8 mg in a few days and held to talk to doc. He said stay on, seemed to help. It is helping sleeping but nothing else. Went from 5.8 mg to 5.6 mg on one day and 5.7 mg the rest. Taken from 5.7 mg to 5 mg while hospitalized in December 2015. Took a total of 3 doses of Valium during that time. Started on less than 5 mg Paxil by pdoc after hospitalization.

Started lowering mirtazapine dose from 5 to 4.6 mg on Mondays on Jan 4, 2016. Horrible. 1/18/16. Held mirt at 5 mg and 4 mg Paxil by weight on scale until April 2016. Slowly tapering since then 0.1 mg at a time.

Current dose: 2/17, 3.4 mg mirtazapine; 2.4 mg paxil; 3/17, 3.1 mg mirt; 2.1 mg paxil; 7/17 2.8 mg mirt, 1.8 mg paxil; Jan 2018 1.5 mg paxil, 2.5 mg mirtazapine  Update; January 11, 2021:  1.1 mg paxil and 2.5 mg mirtazapine and holding since at least January 2019.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Hello, herenow, how are you doing?

Click the Follow button at the top to get notifications.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...

Altostrata, I'm just now seeing this. I haven't been back on since my last post. I was doing well up until a week ago. I was doing so well, and now I"m so scared. I was working my part time job and doing some editing work on the side and selling some things on Amazon. I wasn't making enough money, so I applied for a job at my boyfriend's work and got it. Anyway, I was feeling pretty sad that I hadn't gotten to where I wanted to be (self supporting enough to only work part time out of home and the rest in home) and have to move to subsidized housing instead of staying in my apartment. Last week on Wednesday, I was up really late working on some of my business stuff. I kept putting off taking my medicine. I didn't take it until 5:30 a.m. (And I know what I'm supposed to do, which is stay on a schedule. I screwed up.) 

Anyway, by 5:30 I could already feel some panic setting in and knew it was from not taking my Paxil on time. Since then, my neck and back pain have creeped back in, like within a day or 2. I can't think of anything else that would have messed with it. I'm weepy a lot of the time. Of course, it doesn't help that I'm going to be moving and leaving my "safe" job of the last 3 years. I keep pushing myself, but I'm not the same self I used to be. A new job or a move before would have excited me. Now I'm just frightened. The pain is so bad I'm not sure I can start the new job. It starts March 11. I know some people would say it's because of my stress. Well maybe so, but it's pain I've had 3 times before and all happened near medication mishaps/adjustments and also job issues. I think it amplifies the pain I already have, low-level pain that I can tolerate and not even notice some days.

Now, I don't know what to do. I'm crying every day. It hurts to drive. It hurts to sit. It hurts to lie down.  If late dosing my Paxil is what caused it, I don't know what else to do. I'm using heat packs and Aleve, but Aleve makes me feel sick to my stomach. Nothing else works, and I'm sensitive to other stronger pain meds and don't want to touch those anyway. Ibuprofen does nothing. I'm so sad about leaving my old work and going to work at my boyfriend's work. I'm not sure I can handle a full-time job somewhere else. I'm not sure it's the right decision, but it's been made. I could've probably handled full time at my work, but I decided to go for more money and a change of environment. Now, I'm worried I made the wrong decision and will have no job. And I know I'm panicking right now, but I'm scared. I've worked so hard to stabilize, but that has been stabilization in a somewhat small world I've created. Work, a few friends, my children, and sometimes I go to see my parents. Change is hard for me,. 

That being said, I was doing so well. I could move small boxes of things and go shopping and do everything I needed to albeit I was tired and still had my normal achy pain, but now, I have this stabbing burning pain in my upper back and neck. It's all been checked out before multiple times, and they can never find what's causing it. Muscles are tight and probably spasming some, but even when I get them massaged, the pain only goes away for a half hour or so and then not completely. I went through something similar in 2017, and it almost cost me my job back then, and I was only working part time. 

Anyway, I just came on to share here because I feel so alone and defeated. I have no family in the area. I have a few close friends. I've told one about the pain recurrence. I will see what other support I can get. I just feel like no one wants to deal with a single mom who might need some extra help. There's so many of us out there. I really wanted this all to work out. I was being optimistic about this job even though I was scared.  

And I'm sorry I'm not on here more. It's hard for me to read other people's stories. I chime in where I can but I struggle to just make my life "normal." I'm worried I'll be on these meds forever because it's so hard to come off them. 

I am down to 1.1 mg Paxil. I cut 0.1 mg about 2 months ago. I'm still on 2.5 mg mirtazapine.

2014-2015, tapered off risperdal 1 mg done 11/14, Librium 2/15 from 25 mg (switched from Klonopin), and Prozac 40 mg to 20 mg and went off without tapering last 20 mg I think (no record of that) by March or April 2015. Possible rebound anxiety started in May 2015 (plus I'm anxious anyway but controlled usually).

Flexeril in August 2015 (for a couple weeks) and then 1 5 mg dose of Prozac in September 2015. Either going off flexeril or trying the Prozac or both plus my previous jump off Prozac that spring set off withdrawal symptoms, which at the time I just thought was severe anxiety due to a frightening situation that had happened plus insomnia and neuro symptoms. Also had a 1-week of steroid in July 2015 that made things a lot worse (anxiety, obsessing)

Buspar, Sept. 2015, didn't work well (severe chest pain), tapered off. Ambien, 2 nights for terrible new insomnia. Afraid of Ambien and went on Mirtazapine. Tried some ativan 2 or 3 times during this time, felt great while on, but rebound anxiety severe so stopped.

Mirtazapine 15 mg, 1 night on Oct. 9 '15, brain fog, too sedated, groggy all day; Mirtazapine 7.5 mg for about a week. Told pdoc didn't like bc side effects. He said I could jump off. Tapered down to 5.8 mg in a few days and held to talk to doc. He said stay on, seemed to help. It is helping sleeping but nothing else. Went from 5.8 mg to 5.6 mg on one day and 5.7 mg the rest. Taken from 5.7 mg to 5 mg while hospitalized in December 2015. Took a total of 3 doses of Valium during that time. Started on less than 5 mg Paxil by pdoc after hospitalization.

Started lowering mirtazapine dose from 5 to 4.6 mg on Mondays on Jan 4, 2016. Horrible. 1/18/16. Held mirt at 5 mg and 4 mg Paxil by weight on scale until April 2016. Slowly tapering since then 0.1 mg at a time.

Current dose: 2/17, 3.4 mg mirtazapine; 2.4 mg paxil; 3/17, 3.1 mg mirt; 2.1 mg paxil; 7/17 2.8 mg mirt, 1.8 mg paxil; Jan 2018 1.5 mg paxil, 2.5 mg mirtazapine  Update; January 11, 2021:  1.1 mg paxil and 2.5 mg mirtazapine and holding since at least January 2019.

• ChessieCat changed the title to herenow: my intro - mirtazapine help
  • Administrator

Yes, not taking Paxil on time can cause withdrawal symptoms. Please be patient, take your drugs at the same times each day, these symptoms should calm down -- but it could take a while.

Can you take ibuprofen or even aspirin for the pain?

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. They might help you relax.

Going off Paxil can be very, very hard. Have you considered The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Altostrata,

That's what I thought. I will work harder to stay on a strict schedule. I always take my medicine, but sometimes I'm lax on the time. This was way too late.  The panic and anxiety seem to calm down later in the day and sometimes the pain is less severe as well. One day at a time, I know. I'm a little calmer tonight. I can take Aleve, although it makes me feel weird and gives me some stomach upset, but there isn't much choice. Aleve helps more than ibuprofen. I take Aleve during the day and ibuoprofen at night. It's better help than nothing. I have some magnesium that I can try. I was so sensitive to supplements during the worst of everything that I stopped taking all supplements to help calm things down. I haven't taken fish oil in awhile but have tried to eat some fish every week.  I could get some extra fish to eat every day. I can tolerate cans of sardines, oddly enough.

Unfortunately, I don't think Prozac is in the cards for me. When I first started down the medication trail, they put me on 40 mg of Prozac straight away, and without telling the whole long story, after only being on it for a couple of months, I started weaning it and jumped off the last 5 mg a year later. I think the rebound depression/panic from that made things worse, and when I tried to reinstate 5 mg of it 5 months after jumping, it caused me a lot of panic/anixety. I'm afraid to add any other medication at this point. I will be the slowest person ever to get off paxil if I ever go completely off. It has taken me 2 years to reduce from 2.4 to 1.1 mg of paxil. At this point, I only reduce 0.1 mg every 3 months or so. I notice some anger and agitation and a little bit of depression, but I stabilize pretty well. It's the last jump that scares me the most. I may go down to making a liquid and using one of those chemistry devices that measures up really small amounts of things. I can't remember what they're called. A pipette? Something like that. I just don't want to revisit the hell I was in before. That being said, I wouldn't rule out Prozac completely. Also, I'm still on the mirtazapine, but I don't know how much that will help with getting off paxil.

Thank you for responding. I will keep updating. You and all the other people on here are such a blessing. I don't wish this on anyone, but at least you've created a space for us to seek help. 

• Moderator Emeritus
4 minutes ago, herenow said:

I may go down to making a liquid and using one of those chemistry devices that measures up really small amounts of things.

The other option is to increase the amount of liquid.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Yes, that's true. I've hesitated to start figuring out the liquid measurements and switch over to that, but it must be done at some point if I want to go to smaller amounts or smaller dose cuts than 0.1. Thank you for the reminder that I can just use larger amounts of liquid.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you need any help with the maths, we have mods who can help out with that.  Just make sure you post well before you need the information because it can sometimes take a little bit of time to get the "right" mod/s and/or the mod/s who aren't experiencing cog fog.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

ChessieCat, I will definitely make sure to plan ahead. I know that the dosages and the taper and all that will need to be exact and figured out. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello herenow,

Your posts are so sweet, and it breaks my heart how much you're suffering.  Sadly, I'm not a good maths resource, but I just wanted to pop in and offer some encouragement and support.

Much love,
Wiggle  

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

WiggleItt, Thank you for your support! I really appreciate it!  I read your signature, and wow, you have been through so much. I'm glad to see that you have improved a lot. 

My pain is easing up somewhat! I went and saw a medical massage therapist on Wednesday, and he really worked on the area that keeps spasming in my back and neck. I am able to continue driving myself around, although it aggravates my pain. Apparently, diclofenac gel prescription helps relieve pain somewhat too. I did girls night out at my best friend's for 2 nights. We haven't done that for awhile, and it was such an oasis of peace to hang out with her for a couple of nights. I've been able to work at my job this week, painfully, but I've been there. Two more days to go.

I start the new job next week. My ex is going to watch the kids for the whole week so I can stay at my boyfriend's and just focus on the new job for the week and keep healing. I won't have to drive for almost 5 days. The panic and crying from last week have eased up a lot.