redangel: Off Paxil and feeling apathy, anxiety and am cortisol spikes

redangel

Andy, your belly where you give yourself the shots dont turn to mush or something because it is being used as a pin cushion?   I couldn't sleep last night just worrying about this stuff

Started on ad's in the mid 90's.  

Amitriptyline , prozac , Wellbutrin, 'zoloft, effexor, trazodone,   remeron, Paxil, cymbalta 

xanax, buspar, lyrica, gabapentin, sam e, 5htp, L tryptophan, There were other ad's but I cant remember them all. 

Ambien, lunesta, cyclobenzaprine,

levothyroxine

Last ad was  Paxil, 60 mg.  I did a 6mt tapor, 

Only meds at this time is the levothyroxine, fish oil, folic acid, and unisom 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redangel

• KarenB

• apace41

• SquirrellyGirl

Top Posters In This Topic

And do the shots hurt?  

Amitriptyline , prozac , Wellbutrin, 'zoloft, effexor, trazodone,   remeron, Paxil, cymbalta 

xanax, buspar, lyrica, gabapentin, sam e, 5htp, L tryptophan, There were other ad's but I cant remember them all. 

levothyroxine

Thanks so much Andy for your reply.  I'm just panicking because that's what we do in withdrawals I guess.    Even before withdrawals I have been very sensitive to meds and supplements so guess I'm afraid of reactions to the shots.  Plus I hate needles!  Maybe Im hoping there is a tumor because then it is simple to take out and then the glands would work normal. 

levothyroxine

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey redangel,

I found this:

Adult growth hormone deficiency is treated with growth hormone replacement treatment. The growth hormone that is used is an artificial preparation that individuals can administer themselves using daily injections underneath the skin into the fat tissue around the lower abdomen with an injection device. The needles are the same as those used by people who inject insulin for diabetes and the injections are virtually painless. However, there are needle-free devices available for patients who are unable to overcome the fear of injecting.

http://www.yourhormones.info/endocrine_conditions/adult_growth_hormone_deficiency.aspx

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Well I for sure will check out the ones without needles!  Thanks so much

levothyroxine

http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/pinealstory.htm,  this page tells that long term ad use could be the cause of my piturary gland malfunction!

levothyroxine

Part three of this article tells what happens when we get off of ad's.   Its interesting.

levothyroxine

levothyroxine

Been waking up with headaches and nausea. Stays with me most of the day now.  But Im to restless to stay in bed for any amount of time. Even restless just sitting, watching tv.  But no energy.  Makes no sense.....

levothyroxine

redangel, you and and I are about the same amount of time off.  I am 8.5 months off.  I am very bad off, too, so please know you are probably still in withdrawal. When did the nausea start for you? I had it for 1-2 weeks when I got off but that was it and then it came back 1 week ago....I get a sick feeling through me in the morning until around 2pm. 

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

Yep KT38, I get better around 4 or so.  Im hoping it does'nt last for a long time like some of the withdrawal symtoms do. Thanks for your reply.  It's hard feeling alone in this.  

levothyroxine

Doctor gave me antibiotics yesterday for a sinus infection.  I'm so jittery I could literally crawl out of my skin.  Not sure but mayb the sinus infection would be better! 

levothyroxine

Are the antibiotics making you jittery?  What antibiotic is it?

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

The z pac. And I started getting jittery after starting them, though it could be just another season of wd's Im going through

levothyroxine

• Moderator Emeritus

There seems to be quite a few instances of people having difficulty when SSRIs are combined with antibiotics.  How long is the course of antibiotics? 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Im not on ssris anymore.  The zpac antibotics are strong short term meds.  I allready took the last dose.  Today Im feeling very down and depressed.  Just so much stress about getting ready for Christmas and family coming finally getting to me. 

levothyroxine

• Moderator Emeritus

Because you are still being affected by the SSRIs there can still be tricky interactions.  But now you've had your last dose I imagine things will settle down gradually. 

Antibiotics and infection are two of the things that can upset your vagus nerve, which in turn can affect all sorts of things including depression, hunger regulation and stress hormones.  Learning to stimulate the vagus nerve is something I've found to be generally helpful since being in w/d.

Here's the link if you're interested:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3173-vagus-nerve-stimulation/ 

I hope you get some better days soon.  Christmas can be really hard - I'm feeling like my cortisol is constantly running.  I know that on boxing day I get my most relaxed day of the year.  Crazy, cause I really do enjoy all the individual parts of Christmas. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply and advice, Karenb.  I usually enjoy all of Christmas but this one was very hard.  I almost lost mymother Christmas morning and that totally sucked.  I also feel like cortisol is running in fast gear but the test the docs did show its normal.  Weird!

levothyroxine

• Moderator Emeritus

That is a hard Christmas - how is your mother now? 

Happy new year

x

8 month hold.

My Mother is doing better now, thanks for asking.  Yea, I think it was a hard Christmas for sure!  Now Im looking at my son and grandson that has been here for 2 weeks leaving tomorrow and my heart is breaking.  I know I will miss them so very very much!  My son has been so good to me and it would be so nice for him to stay but his home is some place else, pretty far away.  

levothyroxine

Redangel,

The heart can hurt so much at this time of year. My daughter is living in London indefinitely and I miss her so much. My eldest son is unable to be contacted, at present.  Xmas can be a hard time, for sure. The stress is understandable . I'm so glad your Mum is doing better. That must be a relief  !  Stay strong.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Yes Ali, my heart is hurting so much right now I dont know how its not breaking.  Im going to miss my son and grandson so very much!  When they go I go back to my life of no one that has my back, no one that cares if Im hurting, tired, depressed or anything.  My grand children Ive raised that still live with me seem to only care about them selves.  They dont help out around the house or act like they care at all.  Im so down right now!  ANd my son hasn't even left yet!  Im tired of being tired, cold, broke, and depressed! Some people say that it is your choice what mood you are going to be in and that is just not true! I've been crying since Ive woke up! 

levothyroxine

Angel,

A lot of this is " neuro - emotions ".  It's not to be trusted. Yes, the heart hurts, but it is " amplified" , as if on " steroids". Crying , on waking is a withdrawal symptom. You might still hurt after withdrawal , but it will be " normal " emotions, not this chemical soup, that we find ourselves in. You can do this !

Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Doesn't matter if its neuro emotions or real, they feel real.  And I know I'm going to feel so empty without my son and this adorable 4 yr old that has been here for 2 weeks.  It's made me remember how it feels to have some one really care.  When they are gone, I'm not getting loving hugs, I love yous or hear my baby singing his little songs to me.  Because Im very poor, my social life is nill, my children are my life.  Thank you for your answers though, I know you are probably right, but grief feels like grief no matter its cause. Im going to deeply miss them!

levothyroxine

My Mom is also a hospice patient and will pass away any day, my other son is in prison where lots of the prisoners are being sent to a different city, 4 hours away, where it will be super hard to visit.  This alone has me stressed to the breaking point without the missing my son and baby that is here and leaving tomorrow.  Im just not sure how people live happy, normal lives, and I for sure dont know how to do that myself

levothyroxine

I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Sending thoughts and prayers your way and hoping you can find a bit of happiness each day!

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

Redangel,

I'm sorry for your pain. You are dealing with a lot. I hope you get through this. I can understand the loss, at this time. I know you will miss them, deeply.

Thank you

levothyroxine

Just got back from taking my son and baby to the airport.  House feels so empty of love and little ones giggles and fun that I cant stand it.  I wont see them for 6 mths or longer. Miss them allready

levothyroxine

• Moderator Emeritus

((((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))

and

((((((((((((((((extraHugs)))))))))))))))))))))

8 month hold.

I know its got to be the nuro emotions but Im feeling totally at the end of my rope!  Im so depressed I don't know how much longer I can go on.  Im also supposed to be on the human growth hormones that will help with the depression and anxiety but they have 100 things to do before insurance will pay. So the hormones are crazy also. Dont know what to do, cant stay out of bed, cant stop crying for any length of time. 

levothyroxine

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh Sweetie, hang in there!  It's the dang neuro emotions for sure!  Is it driven by being alone at the house? Are there any friends you could call up and go take in a movie or something?  The isolation can be so difficult when we are in this place.  Tell those neuro emotions to frickin' take a hike!  They're not going to beat you, dang it!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

I'm not alone, have two grand kids I've raised in the house.  They are 17 and 18.  But both of them have come from very difficult circumstances and are not very loving.  They were abused very bad before I got them.  My grand daughter has always resented me because she has to live with me instead of her mom, who was one of her abusers. So not much support there.  Im afraid to get out much cause all I do is cry and I don't want everyone to see me that way.  Today I have to go shopping and am dreading that so very much! I just want to be closer to my children that do love and support me but they are far away now!  All I have left is big responsibility, the kids here, my dying Mom, a friend that is probably dying soon, a son and brother in prison, life just sometimes sucks! 

levothyroxine

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry, redangel - such a difficult situation :-(  Funny, I'm alone a lot of the time, live out in the country and tend to not seek the company of the friends I do make, but I do have my dogs and cats, and spend way too much time on the web!  I'm ok with it all, though.  When I was in withdrawal last spring, I felt very isolated and lonely, though.  Everyone seemed magnified, of course.

So, what feels ick about going out shopping?  Is it the feeling you want to cry?  There's got to be something that you can do to nurture yourself and take care of you.  You deserve it!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi redangel,

I find going shopping very stressful.  I've never liked it but it is only recently that I have started to understand why and some things I can do to make it a bit easier.

I shop in a place I am familiar with.  I have a list which means I don't have to struggle remembering what to buy.  I try not to go shopping when I am overly tired, hungry or hot.  I get overwhelmed - this can be caused by a number of things, if a product that I usually buy isn't available and I have to make a decision about choosing something different, or they have changed the shelves around, or changed the packaging.  I've been in a shop when the music was grating and I nearly had a panic attack and wanted to walk/run out (I spoke to the manager who knows that I am a regular, and fortunately it turned out that they had had problems the day before with their radio and hadn't changed it back to the usual station.  He went and changed it and I was fine).  When I get to the fruit and veg section I get overwhelmed with so much choice.  If something is on a really good special, I have trouble deciding how many to buy.  If something comes in different colours, I have trouble deciding which colour, then I either buy 1 of each colour I like or none at all.  I also don't like crowds so if it is busy and noisy that makes it even more difficult.  I don't like bright lights (I wear prescription glasses that have anti-glare but those bright lights get in at the sides).  Wow.  Typing those all out makes me understand more fully why I don't like shopping.  Actually, I'm very proud of myself as I went out yesterday and there was a clothes shop with really good specials (and I did need some more tops).  However I had stopped to check it out on my way to get lunch and made the decision that I wasn't going to worry about it.  Once I had eaten I felt so much better and did actually go back and try on 8 or 9 tops, of which I bought 4.

I'm not sure if what I have written has helped you, but even if one thing resonates, then that is good.  All the best.  CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Your right cc.  When I have a list things are a lot easier. Making decisions are tough, yep. 

levothyroxine