SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Madfrank: Hello

Madfrank

Hello I'm new to the site don't know if I'm posting in right place.
Anyway I'll try and keep my history brief. Prior to these medications I had never taken any other than the odd antibiotic. No history of depression or anxiety. In December 2013 I became ill with gastro problem which later turned out to be gastritis inflammation of the stomach. At the same time I contracted a virus / cold flu symptoms. I also didn't sleep for three days solid.
On the fourth day I went to hospital and was given something for my stomach and 3 day supply zopiclone. This is were my real problems began. After taking the zopiclone sleeping tablets sleep began to elude me. I was then given a mixture over many months of zopiclone diazepam temazapam and lorazapam. I was on these for many months and then some doctor in her wisdom decided I had depression and a number of antidepressants were thrown in the mix. I eventually found the benzo buddies site and realised what my problems were which I must say we're severe withdrawal and interdose withdrawal. At some point I had stopped cold turkey the diazapam temazapam and zopiclone. I was left with lorazapam Prozac and mirtazapine.
I weaned myself off the lorazapam taking the last bit on 26/12/14. The withdrawal has been horrendous. I remained on the two A/Ds until September 2015 when I finished weaning off Prozac. Apart from severe insomnia I started to feel good and in November I stopped taking the mirtazapine I jumped off at 7.5 Mgs. For two weeks I felt good I was off all meds and I slept for the first time in two years without medication. I was averaging about 5 hrs a night. Then the start of the third week the withdrawal symptoms hit me and it felt like I was back in withdrawal from the benzos. I have now reinstated on 7.5 Mgs 5 days ago. Again my sleep is abysmal. I have reached a stage where I don't know what to do. I need advice help and support this has gone on so long and I am so tired. The mirtazapine has never really helped me sleep like it does with other people. But I would like to be off it please help/advice please.
Thanks
Frank

Dec 13 zopiclone 7.5 &diazapam 4mgs. For about 7weeks.

Feb14 zopiclone 15mgs temazapam upto 30mgs. C/T after 4 months. Suffered horrific withdrawal.

May 14 lorazapam .05 x3 a day. Mirtazapine up to 30mgs. Stayed on mirt for about 3 months and then stopped no effect

October14 mirtazapine 15mgs Prozac 20mgs 1/2 tablet lorazapam x3 a day

October 14 tapered off lorazapam dry cut and finished 26/12/14

August 15 tapered off Prozac and completed end October 2015. Also during this time reduced mirtazapine to 7.5 Mgs

November 15 felt good and jumped off mirtazapine at 7.5 Mgs. Felt good for two weeks then 3 rd week suffered withdrawal

20 November 15 reinstated mirtazapine

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Frank and welcome to s/a,

That sure is a lot of meds the docs have had you on, so it's not too surprising that you have hit the withdrawals now.  After all you've gone through your CNS will be super-sensitive, so a drop off like 7.5mg will have felt quite big to it.  I think you did the right thing reinstating (but the mods will jump in soon and put us right if I'm off track).

Right now what you need to do is stabilise as best as you can - and mostly that means waiting a bit while you build up some good self-care.  

S/A recommends fish-oil and magnesium, which are the two supplements people here have found most useful. 

You will be able to get off the drugs.  Once you are stable you'll be able to work out a gentle tapering plan with the mods, and you'll get all the support you need.  It's going to be okay.  Tiredness makes everything so much harder, but one day you'll find yourself out of this horrible place.

Hugs,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi Frank-- Welcome to the group.  I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so bad, but I can sure see why.  Going back on the mirtazapine was a good idea, it will take a little while for things to settle down, several weeks at least, but it will happen.  It would be really helpful if we could get some more information on how you came off of the other drugs, how did you taper if you tapered?  more precise dates, that sort of thing.  If you would put it in a signature block it would really help:

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature         

There are several threads that will give you some good information about what is happening:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

That should get you started with out overloading.  The threads KarenB pointed out have some really good information to add to these.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you both for your reply.

How do I put the details of the drugs and dates in my signature. Sorry computers aren't my thing I just about get by on it. Is there a box to click on or do I just put it in a reply.

Thanks again

Frank

Feb14 zopiclone 15mgs temazapam upto 30mgs. C/T after 4 months. Suffered horrific withdrawal.

May 14 lorazapam .05 x3 a day. Mirtazapine up to 30mgs. Stayed on mirt for about 3 months and then stopped no effect

August 15 tapered off Prozac and completed end October 2015. Also during this time reduced mirtazapine to 7.5 Mgs

November 15 felt good and jumped off mirtazapine at 7.5 Mgs. Felt good for two weeks then 3 rd week suffered withdrawal

Hi Frank-- sorry the link I posted didn't work right let's try it again:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi brassmonkey

I have followed your link to add my meds history but I can't see any downward arrow next to my name which will allow me into settings. I'm sorry if I'm missing something but I struggle with computers. Can you supply me an idiots guide.

Thanks

Frank

Upper right hand corner of the page, click on your name and a drop down menu appears.  Click on My Settings and a new page appears. On the left hand side is a menu one line of which is Signature, click on that and you're in.  Took me for ever to figure it out too.

Anyone reinstated mirtazapine how long to feel better. I reinstated 9 days ago the sickly feeling no appetite etc went pretty quickly within a couple of days. But I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin so anxious and repetitive black thoughts. This is really wearing me down.

Frank

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Frank

I merged the new thread you made with your intro thread. It's one thread per member in the intro section. Rather than start a new threat come back and post into this one

Can I also ask you to fill out your signature so that we don't have to go searching for your drug history. Details on how to do that are here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Now onto your question, I have reinstated mirtazapine a umber of times. Any agitation I have had has calmed down within the first week. Is this getting better, worse or staying the same for you? And how is your sleep?

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks Dalsaan

I didn't feel too bad the last couple of days my sleep hasn't been good for two years and the mirtazapine hasn't really helped with sleep. I average about 4-5 hrs a night. When I stopped taking the mirtazapine I slept just the same for the first week and a half then I began to get none. Then the stomach upset started feeling sickly no appetite diahorea anxiousness looping thoughts. I reinstated and these symptoms quickly went. The first night I took it I slept eight hours first time in two years. Then the following nights it was back to the same 4-5 hrs. My main problem is I don't get that sleepy feeling anymore and it's impossible to have a nap during the day it just won't happen. Last night I had about 3 hrs and the anxiousness and dark thoughts are awful today.

I've tried to put my medical history in my signature but can not find a way to open it. I have followed the links and looked for the downward arrow to the right of my name but I just don't see it.

Thanks

Frank

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Frank

Are you using a phone to access the site? If so, scroll through the instructions thread for details of how to do your signature.

I have had exactly the same sleep issues as you. I have found a combination of magnesium and taurine has helped at different times. As with everything start these on low doses and work up if you are going to give them a go. I have also found sleep hypnosis to be effective

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks Dalsaan

I was using my mobile I have now added signature.

I have really struggled the last two days and my sleep has gotten worse. Do you actually still get sleepy I don't be my sleep is hit and miss I lay in bed and drop off at some point. Prior to stopping the mirtazapine I was doing ok not great but I could operate on 4 -5 hrs. The last two days I've only had 3 hrs in total and although I feel exhausted my brain just doesn't get sleepy. It's making me so anxious. I've been back on the mirtazapine for 10 days do You think it might improve to where I was before I jumped. I was feeling so good at that time and didn't think I needed it. The last two years have been so difficult I don't think I could take much more. I'm desperate to sleep

Frank

As you can see I recently reinstated the mirtazapine. At the moment I feel dreadful. When I tapered off the Prozac I felt I did it slowly enough not to cause any problems. First I began opening the capsules and split the powder soon after I got the liquid and used that. I had no problems at all with that or weeks after I finished. However I've read that Prozac has a long half life is it possible that I'm getting withdrawal from that now and by stopping the mirtazapine and restarting it I've made things worse. Sorry if this is confusing I hope it makes sense to you.

Frank

• Administrator

Hello, Madfrank. Those sleep problems you described are very common with withdrawal syndrome.

Do you have any Prozac left? Even 1mg might help.

How much mirtazapine are you taking, and at what time of day?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks altostrata

No I don't have any Prozac left. I feel much better today than yesterday. I slept about 5 hrs last night. The other thing in the mix is the benzos I was on I cold turkeyed off two 18 months ago and tapered off the final one 12 months ago. The doctor was no help when I told her I'd stopped them she just shrugged her shoulders. The lorazapam I tapered off I thought quite slowly. I was in a terrible state for months but I settled down somewhat to be able to cope with life. I have had some really good days when I thought I was through all this nightmare only for the horrible symptoms to start again. My symptoms are mainly mental horrible worrying thoughts feeling I can't do anything very confusing and frightening.

Anyway I feel I am going through windows and waves from the benzos even though it is 12 months since I finished them. What are your thoughts.

I intend to stick with the mirtazapine for maybe a month at 7.5 and then reduce slowly with the liquid. When I stopped taking the mirtazapine I slept ever night for nearly two weeks my mind was clear and really settled for the first time in 2 yrs nothing was worrying me and the third week it all went down hill. I think because I stopped the mirtazapine too soon after finishing the Prozac and on to high a dose instead of reducing it. Just to make it clear I was on these two A/Ds at the same time. I have had no help from my doctor I have done this on my own of course with help from sites like these. Thank god for this site and others like it otherwise I would still be taking all theses drugs believing the medics that I needed them. Do you think with having these windows were I have felt back to my normal self that I will heal properly.

Thank you

Frank

• Administrator

Yes, going on and off drugs can have a cumulative effect that makes recovery from a taper more difficult.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks altostrata

No I don't have any Prozac left. I feel much better today than yesterday. I slept about 5 hrs last night. The other thing in the mix is the benzos I was on I cold turkeyed off two 18 months ago and tapered off the final one 12 months ago. The doctor was no help when I told her I'd stopped them she just shrugged her shoulders. The lorazapam I tapered off I thought quite slowly. I was in a terrible state for months but I settled down somewhat to be able to cope with life. I have had some really good days when I thought I was through all this nightmare only for the horrible symptoms to start again. My symptoms are mainly mental horrible worrying thoughts feeling I can't do anything very confusing and frightening.

Anyway I feel I am going through windows and waves from the benzos even though it is 12 months since I finished them. What are your thoughts.

I intend to stick with the mirtazapine for maybe a month at 7.5 and then reduce slowly with the liquid. When I stopped taking the mirtazapine I slept ever night for nearly two weeks my mind was clear and really settled for the first time in 2 yrs nothing was worrying me and the third week it all went down hill. I think because I stopped the mirtazapine too soon after finishing the Prozac and on to high a dose instead of reducing it. Just to make it clear I was on these two A/Ds at the same time. I have had no help from my doctor I have done this on my own of course with help from sites like these. Thank god for this site and others like it otherwise I would still be taking all theses drugs believing the medics that I needed them. Do you think with having these windows were I have felt back to my normal I will heal properly.

Thank you

Frank

Yes Frank, the windows show your capacity for healing. It's just time and patience from here. I have often believed that my sleep capacity was broken. It's not. You will improve

Dalsaan

• 7 months later...

Hi Madfrank,

Just checking in to see if you ended up tapering off Mirtazapine? How's your sleep ?

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

Hi Christian. Yes I did taper off the mirtazapine very slowly I have now been med free for 10 days. It feels good just to be off all meds. However my sleep is suffering again only getting between 2-3 hrs a night now. But prior to quitting I was getting between 4-5hrs. But I would have periods were my sleep would suffer a few days after I made a reduction whilst withdrawing but after a while my sleep would increase. So I hope I'm just going through one of these periods.

Overall I would say I'm much better mentally and physically and enjoying life again. I never thought this would be possible after the horrors I went through over the last 2 years. Doctors are certainly off my Christmas card list and if I never see another one again it would be too soon. I will never take another one of these types of drugs again.

So anyone struggling at the moment I will say it does get better. You might think no one is suffering more than you I felt this way didn't believe I was going to get better but I did was suicidal but now so glad I never acted on those thoughts. Keep your chin up and keep swimming against the tide one day you'll realise your in calmer waters. Good luck everyone.

I don't think I'll be on this site again but am so grateful for the information and advice. You helped me get my life back.

Thanks again
Not mad anymore Frank.