SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Figgy: 3 months off Lexapro - relapse or withdrawal?

Figgy

HI,

Sorry for the confusion.  I was never on 15mg.  My dose was 5mg.  When I said I wanted to get back to where I was I meant how well I felt when I was on Lexapro at the 5mg dose.  I am saying the symptoms I was feeling after going off were so frightening that I would rather be on the drug than feel that way ever again.  So, I still have the same question.  If I stabilize and want to stay on for the reduced dose for now will it keep working at that reduced dose indefinitely?  I will likely try to withdraw again but not anytime soon.  

The post from Ali is timely.  I woke up this morning feeling very anxious.  I also think I messed up my dilution when I dissolved my Lexapro the first time.  I think I was taking 2mg for 5 days and when I realized my mistake I did it correctly and have been taking 1 mg these last 5 days so maybe that is why I woke up feeling symptoms.  I sound like an idiot but I was not in a good state when I did the first dilution.  I am either experiencing a wave or I need to be on 2mg.

(I did have the colonoscopy, Ali but didn't read your post in time.  I did not know it could be a problem.  I was fine but it took a couple of days for me to feel like I was thinking clearly.)

Thank you again.

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

mid November:  WD came on in a big way.. relapse?

December 9 :  2mg.  It was too much, very hyped up, poor sleep 

December 10 :  1.25 mg.  a couple of pretty good days and several very difficult days; anxiety, insomnia 

Gave up and reinstated back to 5mg. 

June 4, 2018 started a new taper some time ago and currently at 3.8mg liquid lexapro. 

June 30, 2019 at 1mg liquid lexapro 

continued to taper 10% over the next year with a few holds.  Microdosed down to 0.01 mg 

June 13, 2020 off completely

• Moderator Emeritus

If I stabilize and want to stay on for the reduced dose for now will it keep working at that reduced dose indefinitely?  I will likely try to withdraw again but not anytime soon.  

Nobody can tell you anything about "indefinitely" since most of us have experienced "poop out" on these meds at one point or another.  If you stabilize at 2mg or some other amount you have as good a chance of being stable there as on a higher dose.  My concern about going to a higher dose is that you could shock the CNS and it might make you more symptomatic.  None of this, unfortunately, is written in stone anywhere.

If you think you were on 2mg and were feeling good on that amount, I would try going back there and seeing how you do.  My recommendation, however, at this point is not to go back to 5mg.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thank you, Andy.  I won't go back to 5mg.  It is not necessary.   I am trying the 2mg for a week and if I do well I will just stay there for at least a month.  

Best,

Figgy

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

December 10 :  1.25 mg.  a couple of pretty good days and several very difficult days; anxiety, insomnia 

June 4, 2018 started a new taper some time ago and currently at 3.8mg liquid lexapro. 

continued to taper 10% over the next year with a few holds.  Microdosed down to 0.01 mg 

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

Well, I went to 2mg for one day as week ago...it was too much.  I felt like I had been drinking 10 cups of coffee.  I backed off and have been taking 1.25mg for a week.  I am struggling.  I have a good day here and there but for the most part my anxiety level is running very high. I have a knot in the middle of my chest.   It has been hard and I am trying to deal with it.  

I am uncertain what to do.  Should i just keep going with the 1.25 mg and hope I level out?  I took the first 1mg dose 18 days ago.  I feel like I need to go up in dose but I am afraid to do it.  I can't afford to feel any worse.

Coincidently, I was out to a long dinner last week with friends and had two glasses of wine over the course of about 2 1/2 hours.  I felt terrible and even more anxious the next day.  What is going on there?

Thank you,

Figgy

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Figgy,

The combination of your sensitised CNS combined with the change in doses and the alcohol may have caused these issues.  I suggest you wait until one of the mods gives you a suggestion as to what to do.  Could you please update your signature to reflect what dates/doses have happened since Aug 2015?  Thanks.

escitalopram food

Applies to: Lexapro (escitalopram)

Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.

GENERALLY AVOID: Alcohol may potentiate some of the pharmacologic effects of CNS-active agents. Use in combination may result in additive central nervous systemicon1.png depression and/or impairment of judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills.

Take care.  CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

As Chessiecat explained alcohol is a big big no not only in withdrawal but when taking these drugs so having the kind of reaction you describe is not surprising at all. The only thing we can do about it is stay away from alcohol. Many of us have to stay away from coffee, tea, chocolate, not to mention even more innocent pleasures.

10 years is a long time during which your brain has physically changed to adjust to the presence of the drug. 3 months is a long time during which the brain was struggling badly to maintain homeostasis but all odds were stacked against it and it failed. It's been injured and badly traumatised. I imagine this condition as a case of a broken bone: the fractured bone grows back together but it takes time and rest. There is no pill that would make it grow back in an instant or in a few days or weeks. Also antidepressants don't work like antibiotics or painkillers. (I was surprised not so say shocked when I realsied how little I knew what the substance I was taking for over 10 years was actually doing to me, how it worked, etc.) 

You are very lucky that you seem to be stabilising in a typical windows and wave pattern with a good day here and there. That is very encouraging. Even not getting worse wouId've been a good enough sign.  would give it a bit more time. If and when you decide to updose please make just a small increase: to 1.5 for instance. The same way as a broken leg, our brain doesn't like to be yanked around. In general, treat yourself the same way you would treat yourself if your leg was broken. When our leg gets broken we go all soft and mellow and from our poor brain we just expect to soldier on.

I don't want to scare you but these drugs are very powerful and dangerous. We see people losing their jobs, homes, families and basically everything because of them. This experience requires that we adjust our lifestyles accordingly. That kind of attitude facilitates healing and recovery.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hi Figgy-- I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a tough time right now.  It looks like you've done at least three dose changes in the past three weeks, that's adding a lot of confusion to your brain.  It will be uncomfortable for a while but it would be best to just sit on this dose until after the first of the year at least, to let things stabilize. Once stable you can start to look into doing a micro taper to finish things off.

Stay away from the alcohol.  As you have seen it doesn't take much to cause trouble.  We've seen too many people suffer big setbacks from just a couple of drinks, please don't let it happen to you.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 1 month later...

HI,

Two months have passed.  I am feeling good.  I continued with the great advice I got and stayed at about 1mg since December.  I am now going to about a half mg.   I say about because the diluted pill has these grains in it that never fully dissolve so it's probably variable every day by some degree as I try to swirl them around and get an even mix.  Some days I even forget to take it and suffer no consequences.

I am very close to being off the Lexapro.  I have no idea how I will do over the long haul but it feels good to have my full range of emotions and feelings back for better or worse.  I am sure there will be ups and downs to come.  It's a little scary.

I want to thank everyone who helped me figure out what to do when I was hit hard with withdrawal.  I feel very lucky reinstatement worked for me and I am so grateful for the support and instruction how to titrate the dose.  

Best,

Figgy

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

• Moderator Emeritus

I continued with the great advice I got and stayed at about 1mg since December.  I am now going to about a half mg.    

Figgy,

Great to hear you have been doing so well!  When you say you are going to .5 are you going directly from 1 to .5?  That's a 50% drop and even though it may not seem like it right now, it could be too much for you to handle.  I would suggest doing a much smaller cut than that.  If it takes you 4 or 5 months to finish up but do so safely it's better than upsetting the applecart after all the work you've done to get here.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thanks, Andy...I think that is really good advice.  I seem to keep underestimating the consequences of withdrawal.  In my head the dose seems so tiny I tend to dismiss it.  I will go to .75 mg for a month and then to .5mg just to be consistent and safer.  I'll check in again after a month passes.

Figgy

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

In happy for you that reinstement work For you . Good luck .

Alcohol for 10 years then benzo for 6 months to help with alcohol then psychosis , and took esctiolpram 20 mg and sulipride 200 mg . quit date 17 -12 -2015

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

I am really not good at math....I need some help with dilution.  I am dissolving 5mg of Lexapro in 10mg of water.  Simple enough at first.  I mg of the liquid is equal to a .5mg dose but I had trouble reducing my dose from there.

Currently, I am still dissolving 5mg in 10mg of water.  I am then taking 1.25 mg.  So, am I really taking .635mg?  If this is correct, I guess for ease of dosage my next move would be to go down to .5mg.   From there if I  want to reduce it by 10% how would I do that?  (I was originally trying to get a .75mg dose but seem to be adjusting fine to whatever it is I am really taking now.)

Can someone help me by giving me a dilution dosage schedule for a 10% reduction every month until zero that I can measure with a mg syringe?

Thank you all!

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

• 1 year later...

How are you doing Figgy??

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)
  • 6 months later...

Hello after more than 3 years.  After trying to withdraw for more than a year I gave up the struggle and went back on Lexapro 5mg.  I am now starting a 5% taper using liquid lexapro (tastes awful BTW).  I hope liquid lexapro and tablet lexapro are exactly the same to my body.  This time I am seeing a therapist addressing issues that caused me to have such anxiety issues in the first place.  Hopefully, support through a very slow taper will prove successful this time.  

I wanted to share this tapering calculator I find most helpful in case someone else would like to use it.

http://www.pharmacy.ca/taperingcalculator.shtml

Best,

Figgy

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

• Administrator

Welcome back, Figgy. How did you feel after you reinstated 5mg Lexapro?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, Figgy said:

I wanted to share this tapering calculator I find most helpful in case someone else would like to use it.

http://www.pharmacy.ca/taperingcalculator.shtml

Hi Figgy,

This tapering calculator works on the starting dose, not the previous dose.  For an SA protocol tapering calculator which one of the mods created:  Tapering Calculator

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I don't understand your comment.  You put in your starting dose and then you can see the taper at 5% or 10%.  Can you explain what you mean.  Also, I don't know how to use excel.  :(

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

I managed to figure out the excel calculator but I don't know how to measure those doses with the odd decimals.  Is the difference in the calculators critically important?

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

One last question, please.  I read a comment from someone on another thread that switching from tablet to liquid lexapro can be tricky.  Can someone explain this to me please?  I just very recently switched to liquid.  It is a one to one ratio.  5 mls = 5 mgs.   What should I know?  Thank you all so much.

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

54 minutes ago, Figgy said:

One last question, please.  I read a comment from someone on another thread that switching from tablet to liquid lexapro can be tricky.  Can someone explain this to me please?  I just very recently switched to liquid.  It is a one to one ratio.  5 mls = 5 mgs.   What should I know?  Thank you all so much.

Hi, 

I'm not an expert, but an explanation could be that the liquid form is been quicker absorbed from the body.

The solid one, has to be dissolved first in the stomach and then been gradually absorbed in the intestines walls. 

Best regards 

Citalopram 20 mg

Mid June 1994- end March 1995 Then tapering 3 months 

Mid August 1995-end August 1996 Tapering 6 months 

Mid January 2000-end September 2001 Tapering 6 months

Mid October 2003-end October 2005 Tapering 7 years. 

More detailed drug history is here - ☼-kostas

Off any drug from October 2012 

That's the basics of it Kostas.  Because of the different absorption rates the different forms of the medication can affect different people in different manners. Some people have no trouble changing back and forth, while some can tolerate one and not the other  If there's an uptick in symptoms after making the switch then there may be a tolerance issue. Some people get around this by cross tapering between the two forms.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I do notice the difference with liquid.  It hits me fast but so far I am tolerating it.  It almost seems like a higher dose.  I feel I have to stick with the liquid as I am below 5mg.  I tried dissolving the tablets in water but it doesn't completely dissolve and it's a guess how much of the "swirling white stuff" in the water gets in the dropper when I measure as it settles very quickly.  

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

Hi, 

I switched to liquid lexapro from a 5 mg tablet one week ago.   I am taking 4.75mg of the liquid as my first 5% taper.  I am unsure what to do.  A week of 4.75mg of the liquid feels more like a dose increase than a reduction.  I can really tell that the liquid absorbs very quickly and I feel pretty amped up just like I felt in the past during times of a dose increase.  I am wondering if I should try to compensate and go to 4.5 mg of the liquid?   The dose in liquid feels stronger than the same dose in tablet.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thank you so much.

Figgy

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

Hi Figgy-- I've been doing some digging in to it and can't find any reference to the liquid giving a higher blood serum concentration, but that's hard information to find on any of these drugs.  I did find that it takes a minimum of a week for the blood serum concentration to stabilize so that could be part of what you're feeling.

Are you taking any other medication of any type? Supplements? Diet soda?

It's not a good idea to constantly switch your dose amount, but if you think a small reduction is in order you might try it, but it's up to you to decide. We usually recommend that a person treats the switch between tablets and liquid as a "dose change event" and that they do a hold for several weeks before making any other changes just to let things stabilize from the change.

Brassmonkey

On 4/28/2018 at 11:25 AM, brassmonkey said:

Hi Figgy-- I've been doing some digging in to it and can't find any reference to the liquid giving a higher blood serum concentration, but that's hard information to find on any of these drugs.  I did find that it takes a minimum of a week for the blood serum concentration to stabilize so that could be part of what you're feeling.

Are you taking any other medication of any type? Supplements? Diet soda?

It's not a good idea to constantly switch your dose amount, but if you think a small reduction is in order you might try it, but it's up to you to decide. We usually recommend that a person treats the switch between tablets and liquid as a "dose change event" and that they do a hold for several weeks before making any other changes just to let things stabilize from the change.

Brassmonkey

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

Thank you so much for looking into it for me.  Everyone is so kind and helpful here.  

I am not taking any supplements nor do I drink diet soda.  I did not know you recommend treating a switch between tablet and liquid as a "dose change event".  I reduced my dose by 5% when I made the switch to liquid about 10 days ago.  That may explain the differences I am feeling.  I will just hang in there for now as I am doing fairly well.  I will keep your comments in mind should things get worse and perhaps reinstate that 5% if I can't handle it.

Was the information you gave me stating "it takes a minimum of a week for the blood serum concentration to stabilize " regarding liquid lexapro specifically or for all of these drugs?

Thank you again, for your reply.  

Figgy

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

For the time being the "minimum of a week" is just for the lexapro, both tablet and liquid. It seems lexapro plays poorly with a lot of different medications and supplements which is why I was asking about them.  But it doesn't look like it's a problem for you.  The hold period when changing between tablets and liquids is a recommendation, some people have no problems but we like to take the conservative approach to things.  If the symptoms haven't hit really hard then there probably won't be a problem.

• 1 month later...

Hello,  

I have a question about the Excel Gab Taper recommended on this site.  As of today,  I have tapered to 3.8 mg after being on 5mg for 6 months or more.  Following the taper schedule as I look ahead to the very end it shows being on 0.01 the very last dosage amount for 9 weeks!  Is this correct?  At this rate it will take 2 years and 5 months to taper from 3.8mgs.  

I would very much appreciate thoughts on this.  It seems like a really long time for tapering off of this dosage.  Thank you!

Figgy

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

Sorry to say, but that's the way it is Figgy. Doing a proper taper is a real commitment.  My taper from 40mgai of Paxil took  five and a half years, but it was worth every moment of it.  Trying to go faster is almost guaranteed to end up taking a longer time. 

Part of how we came up with the recommended taper that we suggest  was by comparing the graph of the SERT occupancy (how the drug changes the body against strength of dose) and the mathematical formula  that produces that curve.  The math gives a curve with an ever decreasing dose over a given time span.  When you get to the bottom of the curve it shows making very small changes in dose for the same time frame, so the lower you go the longer it takes to make headway.

Well, boo hoo!  But,  I am going to follow this advice.   I have been tapering 10% every three weeks and doing pretty well with it.  Can I try every two weeks or would that be pushing it?  Still looking for that shortcut, I guess.

Figgy

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

• Moderator Emeritus

Many members find that the lower their dose gets the slower they need to go.  This is a discussion of SERT occupancy.  Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves

@Figgy

I was also devastated to realize that I have 3.5 years to go to get off my last 9% (100mg originally, I'm down to 9mg now).

I just live in hope that if I do it properly - slowly - I can avoid further problems. So I keep plodding along.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

Every two weeks would be pushing it Figgy.  The thing is there is a lot of things happening in the background of each reduction that we don't see or feel.  The body is correcting the changes that have been made to it and that takes time.  If we try to go faster then things don't get done.  As each bit of healing is dependent on the one before it a backlog starts to build up and build up until one day it all topples over in what we experience as a crash, and it's really hard to pick up all the pieces and try to put them in order again.

The next three and a half years isn't going to be all suffering though.  As your dose gets lower things should start falling into place and you will feel progressively better.  This would be your WDnormal baseline rising.  It's actually better for your emotions and feelings to come back a little at a time.  To have them all back full force tomorrow would be a very shocking and over whelming thing to happen.  Our emotions and feeling have been blunted for so long we don't remember how to control them and need to warm up to the situation gradually. As our life slowly returns it's amazing just how fast the time will pass.

The next three and a half years isn't going to be all suffering though

My experience, with my glacially slow taper, is that I have many drops which are virtually imperceptible. Other drops I do feel, but I have never had more than a week or so of feeling bad, although sometimes there were another week or two of milder symptoms.

For the vast, vast majority of my 4 years of tapering I have felt completely well. My personal tapering philosophy - no drops if something stressful is imminent (ie, I have a deadline on Monday, so no drops until that has passed), no drops until I have felt completely well for a minimum of several weeks (ie, I feel fine, no symptoms, I could live like this forever).

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

That's so excellent, it's what a slow taper is all about.

16 hours ago, bubbles said:

My experience, with my glacially slow taper, is that I have many drops which are virtually imperceptible. Other drops I do feel, but I have never had more than a week or so of feeling bad, although sometimes there were another week or two of milder symptoms.

For the vast, vast majority of my 4 years of tapering I have felt completely well. My personal tapering philosophy - no drops if something stressful is imminent (ie, I have a deadline on Monday, so no drops until that has passed), no drops until I have felt completely well for a minimum of several weeks (ie, I feel fine, no symptoms, I could live like this forever).

Thank you!  And, thanks for sharing your tapering philosophy.  I think that makes great sense.   You said you drop after feeling completely well for a minimum of "several weeks".  Are you talking about 3 weeks, 6 weeks?  

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely