Figgy: 3 months off Lexapro - relapse or withdrawal?

Figgy

22 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Every two weeks would be pushing it Figgy.  The thing is there is a lot of things happening in the background of each reduction that we don't see or feel.  The body is correcting the changes that have been made to it and that takes time.  If we try to go faster then things don't get done.  As each bit of healing is dependent on the one before it a backlog starts to build up and build up until one day it all topples over in what we experience as a crash, and it's really hard to pick up all the pieces and try to put them in order again.

The next three and a half years isn't going to be all suffering though.  As your dose gets lower things should start falling into place and you will feel progressively better.  This would be your WDnormal baseline rising.  It's actually better for your emotions and feelings to come back a little at a time.  To have them all back full force tomorrow would be a very shocking and over whelming thing to happen.  Our emotions and feeling have been blunted for so long we don't remember how to control them and need to warm up to the situation gradually. As our life slowly returns it's amazing just how fast the time will pass.

Thank you.  Great advice.  I was looking at your profile.  I was wondering as you got down to 1mg how you handled dropping your dose from that point if you are willing to share that info?   Articles on this site suggest the dose drops become harder as you get close to 0mg.  Something about it actually acting like larger dose drops on your brain.  I also read a scary tidbit saying some people experience bad withdrawal even with a very capable taper which really frightens me.  I never want to experience what I went through the first time I withdrew to zero before I found this site.  

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

mid November:  WD came on in a big way.. relapse?

December 9 :  2mg.  It was too much, very hyped up, poor sleep 

December 10 :  1.25 mg.  a couple of pretty good days and several very difficult days; anxiety, insomnia 

Gave up and reinstated back to 5mg. 

June 4, 2018 started a new taper some time ago and currently at 3.8mg liquid lexapro. 

June 30, 2019 at 1mg liquid lexapro 

continued to taper 10% over the next year with a few holds.  Microdosed down to 0.01 mg 

June 13, 2020 off completely

Thank you!  And, thanks for sharing your tapering philosophy.  I think that makes great sense.   You said you drop after feeling completely well for a minimum of "several weeks".  Are you talking about 3 weeks, 6 weeks? 

It's variable. I look at how hard the last drop was, and what is on the horizon. The harder the last drop, the longer the hold. Anything stressful coming up? Longer hold. I've prioritized feeling well and have mostly been able to time my symptoms for less stressful times.

I don't drop unless I've felt completely well for a minimum of two-three weeks. At times I've held for several months, but that's been mostly situational. I went traveling at one point and it was easier to be on half a regular pill rather than some odd dose. I probably won't do a very long hold like that again unless symptoms dictate. But if symptoms do dictate, I will hold.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

• 1 month later...

HI,

I made a 10% dose drop about 5 weeks ago.  I don't seem to be adjusting to it as with previous dose drops.  My issue is anxiety.  I am wondering if there is a level where you drop below a therapeutic dose and there are the symptoms you began taking the drug for in the first place?  I have also noticed a return of some stronger emotions I haven't felt in some time.  I know this is to be expected but it is the anxiety issue that makes me wonder if discontinuing this drug is a wise course of action for me.  I can't tell you how much I hate to say that but anxiety is very hard.   I have been on this drug for 13 years or more and I know that is a long time.  Any advice?

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

December 10 :  1.25 mg.  a couple of pretty good days and several very difficult days; anxiety, insomnia 

June 4, 2018 started a new taper some time ago and currently at 3.8mg liquid lexapro. 

continued to taper 10% over the next year with a few holds.  Microdosed down to 0.01 mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

"Minimum therapeutic dose" is something of a meaningless term.  It's just a guess by the drug company.

Anxiety is a very common symptom of withdrawal.  Doctors commonly refer to anxiety when it occurs in a taper as "return of the underlying condition" or "relapse."  Keep in mind that very few doctors are aware of or believe in withdrawal, so it would be natural for them to identify symptoms of withdrawal as relapse.  

I too am tapering Lexapro after long-term usage and deal with insomnia and anxiety.  Some days and nights are good and some are less so.  Everyone's different, but it's clear to me that my symptoms are caused by withdrawal.   These links may help you sort it out:

This post and Is it withdrawal or relapse?

I know the anxiety is hard, but I encourage you to not give up.  You might want to have a nice, long hold at your current dose, then consider tapering more slowly with longer holds in the future.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Gridley,

Thank you for your reply.  I think I was meaning to say dropped below the minimum dose that kept my symptoms at bay.  I read the links you suggested.  I still can't tell if it's withdrawal or relapse.  While the anxiety does feel the same as pre-lexapro  it has been so long that I am not sure about that.  Mostly, I am feeling anxious all the time.  I am going to hold here as you suggested.  If I wait another couple of weeks (it's been 5 weeks) and no relief what should I do? 

Also, since you mentioned you are also w/drawing from lexapro by any chance do you experience excessive dreaming?  Insomnia is playing a role but when I do sleep the dreams are like epic sagas. ...exhausting!   Can withdrawal do that?

Thank you, again,

Figgy

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

• Moderator Emeritus

If after 7 weeks there is no change, I would keep holding.  There's really no way to tell how long to hold but (except in the case of adverse reaction to the drug) there's no harm in a long hold, thinking even in terms of months rather than weeks.  I have heard of 8 month holds being necessary to stabilize.

Yes, sometimes my dreams are "epic sagas."  "Excessive or intense dreaming" is a common withdrawal symptom. See:

PDF Monthly List of Dr Glenmullen's Symptoms to Print 

Regarding the anxiety, here are a few suggestions.  We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Second, I've found the techniques described in the following link as being very helpful with anxiety.

Finally, doing this simple yoga pose helps with anxiety: lie on the floor with your legs at more-or-less a 90 degree angle on the wall, with head and lower back supported as necessary for 10-20 minutes.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Figgy: 3 months off Lexapro - relapse or withdrawal?
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 3:24 PM, Gridley said:

If after 7 weeks there is no change, I would keep holding.  There's really no way to tell how long to hold but (except in the case of adverse reaction to the drug) there's no harm in a long hold, thinking even in terms of months rather than weeks.  I have heard of 8 month holds being necessary to stabilize.

Yes, sometimes my dreams are "epic sagas."  "Excessive or intense dreaming" is a common withdrawal symptom. See:

PDF Monthly List of Dr Glenmullen's Symptoms to Print 

Regarding the anxiety, here are a few suggestions.  We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Second, I've found the techniques described in the following link as being very helpful with anxiety.

Finally, doing this simple yoga pose helps with anxiety: lie on the floor with your legs at more-or-less a 90 degree angle on the wall, with head and lower back supported as necessary for 10-20 minutes.

I thank you so much for all of this great information.  I am still having difficulty with this last dose drop.  The anxiety is pretty relentless.  I am wondering if it would help me to reinstate a small amount and see if i get some relief?  My resolve is weakening and I wonder if I can do this. 

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

• Moderator Emeritus

When did you start your new taper from 5mg?  It's not clear from your signature.  Did you reach 3.8mg on June 4?

Reinstatement is more likely to work if done within 3 months from the last dose reduction. Was that on June 4?  If so, you would still be within the time frame.

If you do reinstate, I would recommend a very small increase, certainly not up to 5 mg.   Your system has made adjustments to the new lower dose and too much can destabilize you.  Since you are down so low, I would suggest a reinstatement of .2 (two-tenths)mg, with the new dosage being 4 mg.

It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

23 hours ago, Gridley said:

When did you start your new taper from 5mg?  It's not clear from your signature.  Did you reach 3.8mg on June 4?

Reinstatement is more likely to work if done within 3 months from the last dose reduction. Was that on June 4?  If so, you would still be within the time frame.

If you do reinstate, I would recommend a very small increase, certainly not up to 5 mg.   Your system has made adjustments to the new lower dose and too much can destabilize you.  Since you are down so low, I would suggest a reinstatement of .2 (two-tenths)mg, with the new dosage being 4 mg.

It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain

I was at 4.2mg on May 15th.  Then 3.8 on June 4th.  Sometime after that, say 3 weeks ago it became 3.75 as the syringe I was using broke and the only other one I had measured to 3.75.  Lame reason, I know but going from 3.8 to 3.75 seemed inconsequential at the time.  If I reinstate .2mg and I find it helps, then what should I do? 

Thank you so much.

Figgy

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

• Moderator Emeritus

If you reinstate .2mg and find it helps, you should hold for 3 months or more until you feel stabilized.  Once that happens, you can continue tapering but very, very slowly.  I can give you some suggestions at that time on some ways to do a micro-taper.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• 5 months later...
  • Mentor

hi Figgy

how are you doing?

hope all is well with you

:)

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • 2 months later...

HI,

I haven't posted since July.  I have switched to liquid lexapro and am now at 2.2mg (started at 5mg).  I have done this very, very slowly.  I have found I can't follow any consistent dose drop schedule.  I have to listen to my body and drop only when I feel stable.  Then, I only drop my  0.2 mg....just two tenths at a time.  It is slow and I feel every dose drop around 4 days later.  I am hanging in there.  I find that the return of emotions and anxiety has now begun to show up as I get lower and lower in dose.  I am doing my best to cope through therapy and other ways of dealing with the return of feelings/anxiety.  I am determined to get off this drug. 

I do have a question.  As I approach the time when I will switch to a 1mg syringe I find I the bottle adapter I have is too big for the small syringe.  You know the thing you pop into a bottle so you can turn the bottle upside down, insert the syringe and pull out the proper dose?  Anyway, does anyone know where I can find a bottle adapter that will have a small enough opening to fit a 1ml syringe?  Or, where to get a smaller bottle I can transfer the liquid into that comes with an opening suitable for a 1mg syringe?  Thank you for any ideas you may have.

Figgy

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

• Mentor
53 minutes ago, Figgy said:

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find a bottle adapter that will have a small enough opening to fit a 1ml syringe?  Or, where to get a smaller bottle I can transfer the liquid into that comes with an opening suitable for a 1mg syringe?  Thank you for any ideas you may have.

Figgy

hi 
I usually have these small bottles on hand as I've used them for mixing meds for various pets, the round ones with the red cap,  I mean, you can snip off the spout to make it fit a 1 ml syringe but sometimes I don't get it exactly right and need to try with a new bottle. however, they are super cheap

on this same page are adapters, I can't vouch for those as I've never tried them

https://www.totalpharmacysupply.com/universal-bottle-adapters.html

this online pharmacy store also sells a universal adapter, I'd call them to be sure it fits the your syringe:

In my experience, most drug stores don't carry these things, you need to buy them online. Ebay often has good deals on stuff like this, too.

Sorry that you are feeling every drop but so glad you're going slow! I went way too fast and suffered terribly because of it.

oops I see you already tried to taper a bit faster than your body liked and had to reinstate--

ah me too! in fact, I made several attempts to get off the lexapro before learning about WD. I CT'ed several times and once even made it to 7 mos off but the anxiety was incredible and that forced me back on. 

this time, in spite of still going too fast, I finally made it!! 

I'm over a year off now and doing well. feel about 95% healed, can't say 100% yet as I still see some small improvements every so often. Which is always a pleasant surprise!

you'll get there, too

;)

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Administrator

Your pharmacy should be able to give you bottles and adapters that fit on them. Walgreens gives out small brown or clear plastic bottles with blue caps in which you can insert an oral syringe.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 3/23/2019 at 11:17 AM, Happy2Heal said:

hi 
I usually have these small bottles on hand as I've used them for mixing meds for various pets, the round ones with the red cap,  I mean, you can snip off the spout to make it fit a 1 ml syringe but sometimes I don't get it exactly right and need to try with a new bottle. however, they are super cheap

on this same page are adapters, I can't vouch for those as I've never tried them

this online pharmacy store also sells a universal adapter, I'd call them to be sure it fits the your syringe:

In my experience, most drug stores don't carry these things, you need to buy them online. Ebay often has good deals on stuff like this, too.

Sorry that you are feeling every drop but so glad you're going slow! I went way too fast and suffered terribly because of it.

oops I see you already tried to taper a bit faster than your body liked and had to reinstate--

ah me too! in fact, I made several attempts to get off the lexapro before learning about WD. I CT'ed several times and once even made it to 7 mos off but the anxiety was incredible and that forced me back on. 

this time, in spite of still going too fast, I finally made it!! 

I'm over a year off now and doing well. feel about 95% healed, can't say 100% yet as I still see some small improvements every so often. Which is always a pleasant surprise!

you'll get there, too

;)

Hi, thank you for your response.  I will take a look at those links.  Here's my question.  What do you mean by 95% healed?  I am concerned that after all this time as it may be a span of two years before I am completely off, I will only find that the reasons I went on in the first place were valid and I won't be able to cope off the medicine.  Anxiety is a terrible way to live.  How did you become healed?

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

On 3/23/2019 at 12:00 PM, Altostrata said:

Your pharmacy should be able to give you bottles and adapters that fit on them. Walgreens gives out small brown or clear plastic bottles with blue caps in which you can insert an oral syringe.

Thank you.  I will try a different pharmacy as my own didn't have anything.  Maybe I will need to find an over the counter infant tylenol or something that uses such a small syringe, empty it and use the container. 

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

• Mentor
5 hours ago, Figgy said:

Hi, thank you for your response.  I will take a look at those links.  Here's my question.  What do you mean by 95% healed?  I am concerned that after all this time as it may be a span of two years before I am completely off, I will only find that the reasons I went on in the first place were valid and I won't be able to cope off the medicine.  Anxiety is a terrible way to live.  How did you become healed?

hi Figgy

by 95% healed, I mean that, although I feel fully healed, as time goes on, I realize that I am doing better and better, so I am assuming that I am continuing to heal. That would mean that I haven't reached 100%

but as far as how I am doing and feeling, I feel it is 100%  
I feel obligated not to mislead anyone, so I call it 95%

Does that make sense?

I have an occasional VERY brief and extremely mild "wave" of symptoms that appear to be possibly WD/recovery related ( some brief feelings of dread, some sleep disturbance) 

but these could also be just normal fluctuations in mood (the dread) and the sleep disturbance could be caused by, who knows? eating chocolate which has caffeine, or exercising too late in the day, all sorts of reasons.

I am also older, decades older, than I was when I started these drugs. So lots of things have changed.

I, too, worried that I'd get off the AD and find myself depressed, but that has not happened.

I feel better emotionally and mentally and physically, than I ever have in my entire life. I'm a little forgetful, but I'm also 63 and who doesn't get a little forgetful at my age :P

don't worry, you will be fine.

I don't have any issues with anxiety, if anything, I wonder if I'm *too* relaxed. The energy I got from being anxious is gone, so I sometimes will get pretty lazy and not do the things I should be.

the neuro emotions and all the terrible panic and anxiety from withdrawal: that is totally gone

I get a little nervous doing new things, but it's normal every day nervousness, you know? like worrying about making a good impression, that sort of thing. I'd be worried if I didn't feel that way!! 

On 3/25/2019 at 2:53 PM, Happy2Heal said:

hi Figgy

by 95% healed, I mean that, although I feel fully healed, as time goes on, I realize that I am doing better and better, so I am assuming that I am continuing to heal. That would mean that I haven't reached 100%

but as far as how I am doing and feeling, I feel it is 100%  
I feel obligated not to mislead anyone, so I call it 95%

Does that make sense?

I have an occasional VERY brief and extremely mild "wave" of symptoms that appear to be possibly WD/recovery related ( some brief feelings of dread, some sleep disturbance) 

but these could also be just normal fluctuations in mood (the dread) and the sleep disturbance could be caused by, who knows? eating chocolate which has caffeine, or exercising too late in the day, all sorts of reasons.

I am also older, decades older, than I was when I started these drugs. So lots of things have changed.

I, too, worried that I'd get off the AD and find myself depressed, but that has not happened.

I feel better emotionally and mentally and physically, than I ever have in my entire life. I'm a little forgetful, but I'm also 63 and who doesn't get a little forgetful at my age :P

don't worry, you will be fine.

I don't have any issues with anxiety, if anything, I wonder if I'm *too* relaxed. The energy I got from being anxious is gone, so I sometimes will get pretty lazy and not do the things I should be.

the neuro emotions and all the terrible panic and anxiety from withdrawal: that is totally gone

I get a little nervous doing new things, but it's normal every day nervousness, you know? like worrying about making a good impression, that sort of thing. I'd be worried if I didn't feel that way!! 

Thank you.  Maybe the return of anxiety four or so days later when I drop a dose is just what you said, withdrawal from the drug.  It does seem to even out after a time and then I know I can make my tiny dose reduction again.  I am also your age so your post really resonates with me. 

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

• 1 month later...

HI,   I've made a bit of progress and am now down to 2mgs of liquid lexapro.  My therapist has suggested I take 50mg of 5htp to help with withdrawal.  Is this a good idea?  I have had to withdraw so very, very slowly I wanted to check with those that know so much more than me.  

Thank you,

Figgy

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

• Mentor

congratulations on getting all the way down to 2mgs, good for you!!

you're doing wonderfully keeping things Slow, Steady and Simple!!

personally, I wouldn't mess with that plan.

I tried several supplements out of desperation, wanting to get some sleep, but overall they were not helpful and most did more harm than good

I did find this with a quick google search:
https://www.poison.org/articles/5htp-safety-concerns-173

18 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

congratulations on getting all the way down to 2mgs, good for you!!

you're doing wonderfully keeping things Slow, Steady and Simple!!

personally, I wouldn't mess with that plan.

I tried several supplements out of desperation, wanting to get some sleep, but overall they were not helpful and most did more harm than good

I did find this with a quick google search:
https://www.poison.org/articles/5htp-safety-concerns-173

Thank you.  I think I will not mess with 5htp.  I am thinking of trying fish oil and magnesium.  Do you think that would be harmful?

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2015 at 6:01 PM, brassmonkey said:

Hi Figgy-- welcome to the group.  I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so bad right now.  Most of the things you're currently feeling are more than likely WD symptoms from a very fast taper.  Seeing that you are 3 months out reinstatement gets a bit tricky, but it can still work. If you were to start taking a very small dose, say 1mg it should help to reduce the symptoms you're feeling.  It won't help immediately as it takes four days for any dose change to become steady state in the blood and start taking effect.  Because of the symptoms you are now feeling it could take several weeks for things to settle down.  Making up such a small dose takes a little practice but is really pretty easy to do. Some people crush their pills and use a jewelers scale to weigh out the new dose, while some people opt to make their own liquid.  Here are a couple of threads on how to do it:

How to cut up tablets or pills

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

These and the threads Andy and CC suggested should be plenty to overload you with information. If you have any questions just ask.

Thank you for putting your details in a signature block it is very helpful.  It looks like there may be a typo on the second line though. 

HI,  I have been looking at the Gab taper you directed me to.  I hope to soon be at 1mg and start the micro-taper.  I looked at that microdose tab on the spreadsheet.  I don't understand the doses listed.  If I start at 1mg with a 1 mg syringe for my liquid lexapro...what is the dose I enter?  On the spreadsheet the example starting dose is image.png.e188e8c3dabaea2aaccd39cfd236e2d2.png.  How much is that?  Math whiz, I am not so I am hoping you can explain this to me or just tell me what number to put in the spreadsheet for 1mg.  Thank you.

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

We have a bunch of different spreadsheets, which one are you trying to use?

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

6 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

We have a bunch of different spreadsheets, which one are you trying to use?

This one:

image.png.298792ae30e354ea92ef34b3337d6d0e.png

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

The sample shows a starting dose of 220.0000.  This would be 220mg which is a typical dose for someone who is getting ready for their first taper.  Your post says that you are currently taking 1mg.  That is the strength of your dose and would be entered in the tan "Starting Dose" field.

The "Starting Date" field is for the day you want to start keeping records and will indicate in column 3 the date of your next reduction.

The "Reduction Cycle" field is for the number of days you want to stay at that dose.

The % Cut" field is the percentage you want to reduce the dose by each time.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 10:56 PM, brassmonkey said:

The sample shows a starting dose of 220.0000.  This would be 220mg which is a typical dose for someone who is getting ready for their first taper.  Your post says that you are currently taking 1mg.  That is the strength of your dose and would be entered in the tan "Starting Dose" field.

The "Starting Date" field is for the day you want to start keeping records and will indicate in column 3 the date of your next reduction.

The "Reduction Cycle" field is for the number of days you want to stay at that dose.

The % Cut" field is the percentage you want to reduce the dose by each time.

Thank you.  I forgot to get back to this post as I did figure it out.  I am currently at 1.4mg.  According to this schedule it says it will be 2 years from now before I am off.  That seems like an extraordinary amount of time.  It also shows you are on the tiniest of doses at the very end for weeks.  Is this intentional?  I am not sure I can microdose when the time comes for that long.  I would really appreciate your thoughts.  Thank you.

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

Two years sounds about right to taper from 1.4mg.  The lower doses can seem frustratingly slow, but it is very important not to rush things.  Because of the mathmatical  progression the dose never will actually reach "0".  Many of the people who create these spreadsheets don't take this into account and continue the reductions out way too far. So it becomes necessary to choose a jump off point. This is typically in the 0.08mg range.  Still it means that for the last few reductions making up the dose can be rather tricky when using powder because of the limitations of the scales.  You appear to be using a liquid which makes it much easier by varying the dilution.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 10:47 PM, brassmonkey said:

Two years sounds about right to taper from 1.4mg.  The lower doses can seem frustratingly slow, but it is very important not to rush things.  Because of the mathmatical  progression the dose never will actually reach "0".  Many of the people who create these spreadsheets don't take this into account and continue the reductions out way too far. So it becomes necessary to choose a jump off point. This is typically in the 0.08mg range.  Still it means that for the last few reductions making up the dose can be rather tricky when using powder because of the limitations of the scales.  You appear to be using a liquid which makes it much easier by varying the dilution.

Thank you.  The dose drops are so tiny once you get to below 1ml.  I have a hard time imagining dropping such small amounts will effect me.   How can this be?

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

It appears the the body just doesn't want to give up the drugs and will fight it the entire way. It's amazing that such a small amount has any affect, but I could really tell the difference when I jumped off at 0.08mgai.  For many years 1mgai was the accepted jump point, but too many people were having too many problems with it.  So we now recommend that people go as low as possible before jumping. My friend timinjapan did an excellent taper of paxil and jumped at 1mg and had very bad WDs for over a year as an example.

Edited by ChessieCat
added link

On 6/27/2019 at 12:09 PM, brassmonkey said:

It appears the the body just doesn't want to give up the drugs and will fight it the entire way. It's amazing that such a small amount has any affect, but I could really tell the difference when I jumped off at 0.08mgai.  For many years 1mgai was the accepted jump point, but too many people were having too many problems with it.  So we now recommend that people go as low as possible before jumping. My friend timinjapan did an excellent taper of paxil and jumped at 1mg and had very bad WDs for over a year as an example.

Thank you again.  You have convinced me!  When you say you could really tell the difference jumping off at 0.08....how severe and how long term? Were you tempted to reinstate?  I think I am trying to figure out how much I may have to endure so I won't think I need to reinstate.  I am assuming at some point I may have to tough out symptoms after jumping off.  I can feel each dose drop along the way but I do stabilize in about 3 weeks.   It is worrisome to read of others having horrible times for years.  Can that happen with this careful taper I am doing?   Also, what does mgai mean vs ml?  

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

Most liquids are made at a ration of 1:1 meaning that there is 1mg of medication (Active Ingredient) for every 1ml of liquid. With your current dose being 1.4mg you're saying that you are taking 1.4mg of Active Ingredient hence 1mgai, but you would be measuring out 1.4ml.  When people weigh their dose with scales there are two numbers, the weight of the dose and the strength of the dose and they are both measured in milligrams.  To tell the difference we call the strength of the dose mgai (Milligrams Active Ingredient) and the scale weight of the dose mgpw (Milligrams Powder Weight) because most people crush their tablets into powder before weighing them.

Please try not to worry about symptoms from making the jump. Easy to say, but hard to do, I was very nervous when it came time to jump.  If you've done the slow taper that you've indicated by the time you get to the jump off point your symptoms should be very mild, and you should be hardly be noticing each of the reductions as you make them.  There sill be some adjustments after the jump because that final reduction is 100%. These will take a few months to normalize and there will probably be some waves along the way.  But after each one things will be so much better.  I did a write up on the "post 0 experience" in the thread Are we There Yet: How Long Does Withdrawal Take.  You should take a look at it.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/17909-are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take/?tab=comments#comment-354120

3 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Most liquids are made at a ration of 1:1 meaning that there is 1mg of medication (Active Ingredient) for every 1ml of liquid. With your current dose being 1.4mg you're saying that you are taking 1.4mg of Active Ingredient hence 1mgai, but you would be measuring out 1.4ml.  When people weigh their dose with scales there are two numbers, the weight of the dose and the strength of the dose and they are both measured in milligrams.  To tell the difference we call the strength of the dose mgai (Milligrams Active Ingredient) and the scale weight of the dose mgpw (Milligrams Powder Weight) because most people crush their tablets into powder before weighing them.

Please try not to worry about symptoms from making the jump. Easy to say, but hard to do, I was very nervous when it came time to jump.  If you've done the slow taper that you've indicated by the time you get to the jump off point your symptoms should be very mild, and you should be hardly be noticing each of the reductions as you make them.  There sill be some adjustments after the jump because that final reduction is 100%. These will take a few months to normalize and there will probably be some waves along the way.  But after each one things will be so much better.  I did a write up on the "post 0 experience" in the thread Are we There Yet: How Long Does Withdrawal Take.  You should take a look at it.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/17909-are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take/?tab=comments#comment-354120

Thank you for the explanation.  Oh man...a ten month wave.  I have to tell you this is very discouraging news yet I am glad I read your comments so I will at least know what it is when it comes.  I was on 5mg of Lexapro for probably around 17 years so I imagine it will be an issue for me as well as the subsequent waves.  This is just never ending.  I am now at 1 mg.  How was the 10 month wave for you and how did you deal with it?  

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Figgy said:

How was the 10 month wave for you and how did you deal with it? 

These are BM's Intro topic and success story:

☼-brassmonkey-talking-about-myself

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 6/29/2019 at 5:15 PM, ChessieCat said:

These are BM's Intro topic and success story:

☼-brassmonkey-talking-about-myself

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

Thank you but don't see any reference to the 10 month wave.  Does this happen to most people?

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely

• Moderator Emeritus
12 minutes ago, Figgy said:

Thank you but don't see any reference to the 10 month wave.  Does this happen to most people?

The 10-month wave is discussed here:

It doesn’t end at “0”

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• 8 months later...

Hello,

It has been 8 months since I checked in.  I went back and looked at my first entry.  I have been at withdrawing for about 4 years and 8 months with a couple of interruptions.  It has taken me all this time to get from 5mg to 0.05.  When I got to 1mg I held there for about 4 months.  Really stabilizing at that dose through the holidays was a good move for me.  After those four months of feeling stable I realized I had been in a constant state of withdrawal for years.  It was very reassuring to feel good.  It brought home just how much the necessary protracted withdrawing was affecting me and how much I had to look forward to when I am off.  I have withdrawn so slowly...I am hoping to escape the 10 month wave as I fear it.

I think I am nearly ready to jump to 0 and be completely off.  I will wait until I have been on 0.05 for 3 weeks.  If I am not feeling brave I may go to 0.04.  Am I being ridiculous?  Should I just make the leap?

It is a strange time with this virus going around but it will not diminish my joy finally being fully off Lexapro.  Thank you to any and all who have helped me with this journey.  I could not have done it without the good information and advice I find on this site. My posts have been sporadic but  this site has been my safety net nevertheless.  Knowing what to expect has made all the difference.  Thank you!

Lexapro 5mg for 10 year

July 2015 went to 2.5mg

August 2015 off entirely