Pretzle: Getting ready to try for a baby, and getting off citalopram (celexa)

Pretzle

Hey everyone!

I'm Pretzle, 27 and I'm from the Netherlands. I have a (family) history of depression. Both of my grandmothers and my mother suffer(ed) from depression or other mental issues. My mum has a sister who's schizophrenic and I've struggled with depression since... well, as long as I can remember. 

I always resisted going on meds, but two years ago I was struggling so much I was finally ready to try them. To be honest, it has changed my life, for the better. I absolutely don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and I understand the view that for a lot of people using these meds is simply something 'you shouldn't ever do'. For me, though, they showed me what normal, stable even happy life could be like. And that's something I desperately needed.

Over the course of 6 months I went up from 2 mg to 40 mg (max dosage here in the Netherlands for citalopram) and did pretty well on that. I started getting hair loss at 40 mg, and just was so. very. very. tired (but a lot happier than I used to be). I went back down to 30 mg (after 5 months), then 20 (after another 4 months) without too much trouble. A bit of nausea and 1-2 crazy long nights (think 14-16 hours) but then I pretty much woke up one day (about 2 weeks after decreasing the dose) and was back to my (new) normal, happy, stable self. 

20 mg to 10 was a bit more difficult. (Did this after 2-3 months on 20) I had about a week of physical symptoms (nausea, the nausea :( Dizziness, lots and lots of yawning, needing more sleep but sometimes not being able to fall asleep). After a week those disappeared but I had about 10 days of ... well, pretty much depression. I had to keep reminding myself it was probably the meds. It was, after 10 days - the cloud pretty much suddenly lifted and again, back to my happier self. But with a bit more emotion than on higher doses, which is fine. 

Now, I'm hoping I'm in the last stretch of this process and that I'll come out at the other end just as stable and ok with life as I am now. But... yeah, withdrawal has already started :( 

I was on a 10 mg tablet, now I've switched to a suspension (liquid) because it's easier with the tapering. I started with 4 drops (8 mg, supposedly similar efficacy as 10 mg tablet) and boy. I'm feeling sick. Nausea, dizziness, sweaty. I have to say, I haven't been feeling completely fit over the last week as it was (trouble with my workouts, just a bit low energy etc. Think it might be a virus). 

My psychiatrist suggested staying at one dose for 3 days, then taking away 1 drop, staying for 3 days at 3 drops etc. Yeah, I don't think it's going to happen like that tbh. I aim to be medfree by January 1st (we'd like to start trying for a baby at that point. I know it's possible to have a successful pregnancy while on Citalopram, but I'll try to avoid it if at all possible. Increased risk of miscarriage and SSRI disorder for the baby, no thanks). 

I'm sort of wondering whether I could power through the quick version of withdrawal, but I think I'll take it slow as suggested... So here I am, looking for support and people who have gone through the same. :) 

Good luck on your journeys!

On Citalopram (Celexa) since January 2014. Up to 40 mg (highest dose) then down to 10 mg (few months at both 30 mg and 20 mg). In the process of tapering off completely using liquid form of the drug. 4 drops (8mg) is supposedly equal to 10 mg tablet.

(early Dec:) 3 drops (6 mg), two weeks of pretty bad symptoms (all physical) and then fine, held for 2 weeks after that.

(27 Dec) 2 drops (4 mg), (23 Jan) 2 mg -> steady lowering by 0.25 every few days to (14 Feb) 0 mg.

Hello Pretzle!

Glad to see you here. :) I'm going to taper off Citalopram as well, I've been using it for 6 years now, and enough is enough. I'm on 20 mg so far and will reduce in 10% steps in a few weeks, think that's a safe and reliable option. Citalopram has helped me all these years and I never had a problem with it, but I want to combat and cope with my mental issues without medication.

I wish you good luck as well, and welcome! :)

* 2008 * Starting Citalopram 10 mg

* 2009 - 2011 * Increased Citalopram to 40 mg

* 2011 - 2013 * Trying to wean off, big relapse due to other physical condition

* 2013 - 2014 * 30 mg Citalopam every day

* 2014 - 2015 * Trying to weaning off again, reached 10 mg, ignored my SAD problem, relapse in October

* November 2015 * On 20 mg, but decided to wean off again, now trying to combat anxiety with CBT and lifestyle changes. :)

Good luck to you to!

At the moment (reading through the forums) I have to say I'm mostly scared that if I need ('need'?) it, it won't work as/won't work as well if I'll go back on it. :/ Stupid fear, because the goal is to be off of them completely, anyways... but ... yeah. It's a sucky process. 

Still, have to keep remembering that they DID do a lot of good for me, even with all the difficulties withdrawal entails. 

On Citalopram (Celexa) since January 2014. Up to 40 mg (highest dose) then down to 10 mg (few months at both 30 mg and 20 mg). In the process of tapering off completely using liquid form of the drug. 4 drops (8mg) is supposedly equal to 10 mg tablet.

(early Dec:) 3 drops (6 mg), two weeks of pretty bad symptoms (all physical) and then fine, held for 2 weeks after that.

(27 Dec) 2 drops (4 mg), (23 Jan) 2 mg -> steady lowering by 0.25 every few days to (14 Feb) 0 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Pretzle and welcome to s/a,

Just cheering you on for wanting to manage your life without meds.  You can do it :)

Depression was my big issue too, so I know how it feels to be managing that in your life.  After a long time thinking I'd never get better I now have a lot of hope and I deeply believe I am healing.  I think it's really important to start learning ways of managing depression before it pops up again.  That way you are more in control.  

I don't let it worry me that there is depression and other mental disorders in my family history.  I figure times are different now and there is more knowledge and understanding and support for people.  That is why I will be okay. 

Just a thought - being med free by January would be a pretty fast taper and might cause you more trouble than it's worth.  Have you read http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

So glad you are here, keep asking questions as they arise for you.

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks for the replies. 

I think for now I'll definitely take it slower than my psychiatrist suggested, but I don't really want to bother with syringes etc. if not absolutely necessary. Which means the 10 % dose reduction each time route is out. 

I'm now at 3 drops (6 mg, so that's the first real reduction if 8 mg of the liquid is equal to a 10 mg tablet) and I'll stay here for at least a week. With the earlier reductions I've done (40 -> 30 mg, 30 -> 20 and 20 -> 10) I should know within a few days how bad the withdrawal symptoms will be with this reduction. 

I've been feeling a bit lightheaded/dizzy for the past few days, but that might be exacerbated by simply not feeling well right now (looked like I was getting a cold/flu last week). On the other hand I'm a bit more hyper (yeah, dizzy/spacy & hyper, weird combination) so I do think I'm definitely getting some withdrawal effects already. But that's ok.

Last few times reduction pretty much meant a few days up to 2 weeks of physical symptoms and back to normal. Or with the last reduction (20 -> 10 mg) two weeks physical symptoms, then 10 days of feeling quite depressed and then after 10 days all that was *poof* gone. (So weird, that's how I knew it had to be withdrawal and not real depression. That doesn't just disappear like that).

We'll see how it goes... So far just physical annoyances.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pretzle , welcome to the site.

You've just gone from 10mg to 6mg in the past few days , yes?    Bear in mind that there is often a delayed

withdrawal reaction , so at the moment you have no idea of how the drop from 10 to 8mg is going to affect you.

This site is full of people who've tapered "successfully" , i.e. they stop the drugs , and then crash a few weeks or

months  later.   Your body is already complaining.

Try reading the following links:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The objective isn't to get to 0 , the objective is to get to 0 SAFELY ,  in such a way that relapse is minimized.

And then you're free to go on with your plans , and your life.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks for the reply. 

i'm still not sure whether or not I should believe the package in its statement that 8 mg liquid = 10 mg tablet. If that's the case, then I've only done one real reduction (from 4 drops to 3). 

(That's the only reason I decided to go down to 3 drops already, otherwise I would have stayed at 4 a bit longer). I'm hopeful that I'll bounce back as solidly as I did with the other reductions. 

Next week I have an appointment with my psychiatrist and I'll discuss things then. I know they're very likely to suggest tapering too quickly, but I also kind of want to... well, educate him (wow, that sounds haughty doesn't it?). 

I think my desire to try for a baby in January is probably making me a bit less careful with the reductions, I'll have to admit that. I just really want to be done with it, and the psychiatrist seemed so sure it would be possible. Now I wish I hadn't waited and started tapering back in October, that would have given me more time. Even though I'd love to try for a baby in January, if it's not possible I'll take it slower. Can't try for a baby anyways if I'm not doing well. 

(And finally... There's a pretty big part of me that just absolutely loves the spacy feeling that comes with either upping the dose or withdrawal. Am I the only one in that? :/ I know it's not 'good', but it does feel pretty... relaxing, in some way.)

• Moderator Emeritus

LOL ,  the euphoric bit is the most fun for me , love it  :D .

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Pretzle,

Feeling like you are getting a cold/flu is a w/d symptom, as is the light-headed/dizzy feeling.  See how the week goes for you, but you might like to stay at your current dose for longer, to be more stable for the next drop.  As you know, the lower the doses get the trickier reductions can be, and more stability means better healing progress.  

Sounds like you are coping admirably well with the w/d.   

Best wishes,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

Thanks for the reply.

The flu-like symptoms appeared before I had started tapering, so that's what I meant :) 

Small (big?!) victory: Yesterday evening I felt NORMAL. No dizziness, no spaced-out feeling. It really made me appreciate how nice it is not to have these symptoms.

During the day itself w/d symptoms were prettttty bad, though. (At work I noticed I had to go a lot slower in typing emails, lots of typos because my fingers didn't want to do what I needed them to do, nausea, severe not-really-dizziness but just not feeling 'solid' in where my body was etc). I wanted to nap but couldn't fall asleep (I'm normally the nap queen :D haha, falling asleep during the day is often easier than at night, not yesterday, though). Oh, and tingly-feelings lasting 1-3 seconds in spots (it's very localised, which feel weird, like... maybe on/in 3-5 centimetres) on my arms and rarely legs. This is totally new to me (I'm kind of glad it's on the list of possible symptoms, so it's not that much of a surprise). 

All in all, I'm hopeful the feeling-normal-spell of yesterday evening will turn into feeling normal more of the time, then most of the time :) No worries, plan is still to wait at least until I see the psychiatrist and possibly/probably longer. (I guess I mostly needed to get used to the idea of taking longer than the original plan, I'm pretty much ok with waiting longer to try to conceive, too, now.)

• Moderator Emeritus

Normal :excl: Woo-hoo :P

People often start to notice a pattern in their symptoms.  Mine were always worse in the morning, got better through the afternoon, and I too could feel 'normal' in the evening.  Then I'd get too carried away and do to much, and wear myself out... :blush:  Still, so encouraging for us.

Glad you are feeling more relaxed about going slower.  Sometimes it just takes a while for us to adapt to it all. 

Can't remember if we've suggested fish oil and magnesium, but many people here find these very helpful in w/d.

Hugs,

KarenB

8 month hold.

I've been taking magnesium for about 2 months now (also because it's supposed to help regulating hormones relating to my cycle, and coming off hormonal birth control that's a good idea). I added fish oil just 3 days ago (it's a combi with garlic) so I'll see what that'll do :) 

Unfortunately now I have a huge migraine :( I don't think this is related to w/d though, I just have migraines sometimes and have had them for years. They're not fun, boo. 

Today I'll celebrate 'Sinterklaas' with my in-laws (if you don't know about it, imagine an earlier, second Christmas with gift giving, mostly focussed on the little ones, but lots of families keep meeting and having dinner together just to spend time together even when there aren't any little ones anymore). I'm looking forward to it, but hope I won't be feeling too off. 

• Administrator

Welcome, Pretzie.

You've done pretty well getting down to 6mg citalopram, but now you're getting more severe withdrawal symptoms. More tapering will make these worse.

If I were you, I'd stop reducing the dosage for a month and let your nervous system settle down, then taper more gradually.

I know you want to get pregnant in January, but having severe withdrawal symptoms while pregnant and afterward will be very, very difficult. Taking the tapering a little slower now may save you those problems in the future.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the reply. 

Besides the migraine I felt good most of yesterday :) After being with my in-laws for 4 hours (it was 9 pm by then) I started to become a bit more dizzy/spaced out, but it was by far the best day since the latest reduction. Very nauseated when we finally got home (ugh, car rides when feeling like that are horrible) but I could just get into bed anyway so it was manageable. 

I'll suggest the slower taper to my psychiatrist this Tuesday. If I'd want to go slower than reduce by 2 mg next time I'll need a way to measure the liquid more precisely (I've seen the post on that :)) but I really don't want to have to bother with that. On the other hand I'm pretty sure that I'll have at least the same symptoms I have now if I would just 'drop a drop' (heh). Is it avoidable? Are there amounts to reduce by that you'd not notice at all, and is that worth the time/trouble? 

At the moment I'm mostly wondering: Will go quicker actually make it worse, or will it give me (pretty much exactly) the same symptoms, but in the grand scheme for a shorter amount of time? I know there's no predicting the future and there's a chance it would only makes things worse, and take longer, but still wondering. 

I know I won't even try to get pregnant unless I'm completely med free (or unless I decide I'll have to go back on and stay on Citalopram indefinitely, but really hope that won't be necessary). I'm ok with delaying that a bit more, hubby's in his final year at uni and pretty preoccupied with that. Maybe somewhere in/the end of March (my birthday is at the end of March) will be a better goal to start trying for a baby then :) 

I'll try for some stretching/yoga today and other than that I have no real plans today so I can read a bit, nap a bit and just relax. Yay Sundays.

• Moderator Emeritus

Some people decrease by tiny amounts , 2% , see the thread on micro-tapering.  That way there are minimal withdrawal symptoms.  I can't see you taking that route when you have little patience for the recommended 10%.

You say you "really not want to have to bother with that" (measuring precise doses).  It's your choice.  

Post 6 repeated: 

"This site is full of people who've tapered "successfully" , i.e. they stop the drugs , and then crash a few
weeks or months  later."

After a too-fast taper there may be months of severe symptoms before you stabilize again.

Good luck.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Very very best of luck with your tapering and how exciting to be starting a family!

I just thought I'd drop in and offer my experience just so you can add that to the list of 'things that can happen' so it may not be a shock  - but take it with a grain of salt since every woman has a different experience with each pregnancy :)

Pregnancy is a funny ol thing - it can change your body (incl brain) in ways we can't forsee. I suffered anti-natal depression in each of my 5 pregnancies - it's the less known cousin of post natal depression - for the first 2, I freaked out and took 3mths of ADs (I know!!?! what was the doctor and I thinking?!) withdrew just fine and off I went to have lovely children. The next 3, I knew what to expect and that the devastating feelings  would pass after the first trimester and they did.

Pregnancy also 'insulates' you to some extent, so you can be quite buoyed by the changes in your body (incl brain) and feel wonderful, but remembering that many many many of us feel grim afterwards as our body responds to even more changes as well as less sleep. I suppose it's then super tempting to remedicate, and I'm no psychiatrist (thank God!)  but if you know these feelings may come, then you can try your best to have your supports in place :

• cleaning help
  • babysitting - so you have time out to say 'hey I'm still Pretzle!'
  • being social and joining groups so your not at home alone with your gorgeous baby all day... 

because that first year does pass, and as glorious as it is, the challenges get so much easier! and then you find it's not 'new' anymore and it's not so challenging :) Then you might do it again, and all the same things apply - except 'they' do say that the second  baby is the one to have (and that was certainly the case for me - so much easier the second time)

All the very best and sorry to bring unsolicited advice to the table - I just ended up being another of those annoying folks that think they're helping !

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hey Molly,

No I'm very happy with any replies and certainly advice/experiences like this! 

I used to be quite against having kids (for myself) because I thought with my past/current issues it wouldn't be a good idea at all to bring a kid into the world. Now that I know (thanks to the meds, not matter how much trouble they/withdrawal bring it also brought me a lot of good) that I can in fact enjoy life and that it might be possible to get better (or at least have better periods) from depression I've started to really want a family after all. I 'joke' to my therapist that it's probably the single most telling sign, that someone who didn't even want to exist would want to A)live and B) continue that experience/risk it for a completely new person. 

In a way I still feel like maybe it's not responsible - I've always needed quite a bit of sleep and a baby will make that more (to whatever degree) difficult. But the baby stage passes eventually. I've also really, really struggled with getting to a place of where I'm okay with/happy to exist, and I'm terrified a child of mine will have the same troubles (it does seem to run in the family, for sure). But again - now that I've experienced that even for me, my feelings and view can change, I'm feeling more positive about all that. 

I've told my husband today that I think I won't be able to make it (coming off meds) before January. He asked me what that meant, I told him it means we can't try for a baby yet, at that time. He didn't respond too much (he's one of those guys who often need some time to process things). I wonder what he feels/thinks about it, but I'll hear eventually ;) I think it's the right decision though. I want to feel good around the holidays (usually not the most cheerful time of the year for me anyways, so might as well feel better physically without/with fewer w/d symptoms then... instead of making everything worse by feeling bad in two ways). 

It's sad - that it has to take longer than I had hoped, and then my psychiatrist told me (I'm tempted to call him 'liar' at the moment, but I'm not sure if he simply didn't know or had hoped it would be smoother for me or something. I don't think there were bad intentions with him telling me to decrease by a drop every 3 days). I hope I'll be able to communicate to him how intense the past week and a half have been and that he'll be ok with going slower (can't see why not really). But... yeah, it still sucks. 

Tonight I've been feeling more spaced out (I'm still not sure exactly what to call it if I check the w/d symptom list - it's not quite dizziness, it's similar to how I feel when I have motion sickness, without the motion but also a bit dreamy/unreal. I think it's a combination of a few things). I had actually wanted to go to bed a lot earlier (not because of being tired, but because of this). I managed to stay up until now (9.20 pm) but I think I'll get ready for bed now :) Tomorrow morning I work from home, which is nice, and then in the afternoon I teach a course (only 2 hours luckily). I hope I'll see more improvement this week, but I'm also nervous because in earlier lowering of the dose (e.g. from 30 - 20 mg or 20 - 10) the moment the physical symptoms got better/disappeared I got 'depressed' again for a week or so. 

• Administrator

Very few doctors know anything about tapering or withdrawal syndrome, yet they all prescribe lots of psychiatric drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

After being with my in-laws for 4 hours (it was 9 pm by then) I started to become a bit more dizzy/spaced out,

This would happen to the best of people ;).

Tonight I've been feeling more spaced out (I'm still not sure exactly what to call it if I check the w/d symptom list - it's not quite dizziness, it's similar to how I feel when I have motion sickness, without the motion but also a bit dreamy/unreal.

You describe this really well - this is the main feeling I got when my w/d was really bad at the start of my tapering.  It got a lot better by about 3 months, and these days I only feel it slightly, and only very occasionally.  Time can do a lot.

Have you read this thread on the windows and waves pattern of stabilisation?  It's very common for different symptoms to show up at different times.  I like to think of my brain in there methodically working through things, healing this a little bit, healing that... Recording notes on paper can really help you keep track.

You asked about reducing by tiny amounts, and I am doing just that.  I'm reducing by 0.4% each week for 4 weeks, then doing a month-long hold.  I had to come to this ridiculously slow level due to horrid w/d symptoms that lasted for months.  These days I am a functional mum :).  For me, that's worth it. 

Your situation is different as you probably won't want to wait years for a baby, and many of these drugs are not good for pregnant women.  I found this link which has some info about it, though I'm sure you have looked into this already.  One reason people get so angry about this whole situation is that it doesn't leave us with many palatable options.     

Hope your week goes okay at work,

KarenB

8 month hold.

Thanks KarenB, 

I hadn't found the SSRI specific topic, so that was an interesting read. 

Today I felt mostly normal in the morning (nice! It was different waking up feeling pretty normal). Might be because of a possibly rather low dose yesterday (although that might/should've given me worse symptoms? Story is in the 'you know you are in withdrawal when...' thread... Short version: I spilled some/most of my liquid meds on my shirt instead of getting it into my mouth. No idea how much, so didn't take extra). 

That foggy/spacy feeling is back now, though. Really curious what my psychiater will have to say. He's a nice guy, but a bit socially awkward at the best of times (this seems to be a common thing for psychiaters haha). Any good resources for professionals I could point him to, if he's interested?

Psychiater visit: 

I told him I'd like to stay at this dose (6 mg/3 drops) at least until after Christmas, he is ok with that, but even with the pretty severe symptoms (I told him outright that if I had a more demanding job right now I would not be able to work) he suggests I try to taper quickly after that so as to not drag out w/d any longer than necessary. He seems to think that I'll basically have symptoms anyway, so might as well get it over with instead of dragging the process out and suffering over a longer period of time. 

Personally, I'm not sure yet whether I'll try (yes, against what I've read here) his way or not, but first I'll hold where I'm now for a few weeks. 

I listed most of the symptoms I've had, he actually acknowledged that yes, it's withdrawal. According to him most people don't really have it that bad, but a small percentage does. He doesn't seem worried about my former problems (depression) coming back. But I don't have any mental symptoms at the moment, which might very well change (even then, I AM not worried about my actual - real- depression coming back, even if I get those symptoms. Symptoms will pass, eventually.) 

It was a very, very short visit. Most of all I'm glad that he at least acknowledged my symptoms and doesn't see it as proof that I 'need' the drug or something. 

----

Today: Day off! I slept in (about an hour longer than usual) and did some things around the house. After a few hours (yup, patterns are definitely emerging) the dizziness got worse again, but not quite as bad as before. I'm also a bit nauseated. Maybe I should've taken a nap in the afternoon (it resets the symptoms for an hour and a bit). Tonight we'll have our church group over (at our place) and while I love love love the people and it's always interesting I hope I won't be feeling worse. I'm pretty sure I will. Luckily they're all people who know I'm on a lower dose and I can just tell them when I'm not feeling well.

Yesterday I exercised and before & during exercise I felt the most normal I have felt in about 2 weeks :) Nice feeling. Later in the evening I felt very, very sick (nauseated) though and quickly got into bed. 

• Moderator Emeritus

It's always tempting to think we could shorten w/d by just having worse symptoms over a quicker taper.  It rarely works out that way.  The healing has to be done sometime, and if we try to race the clock it just catches up with us later, and often in more severe ways due to the extra destabilisation of our nervous system.  

Keep it slow, Keep it simple, Keep it stable:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/ 

I like your idea to continue holding for a bit.  And you seem to be coping with the symptoms and taking good care of yourself. 

Here is a thread about interractions with doctors:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2746-what-should-i-expect-from-my-doctor-about-withdrawal-symptoms/

I was trying to find one which (in my head) is called 'Things to show your doctor' but I must have imagined it.  Anyone else know of somthing like that?

8 month hold.

Just updating to say I'm doing well. Ever since Thursday I've been fine :D So happy with that. 

I'll be staying at this dose at least until after Christmas (as planned). Just waiting to see if any symptoms come back, or if I'll develop depression-like symptoms like last dose reduction. If not, I'll be lowering my dose again by 2 mg after Christmas.

It's been amazing to NOT feel dizzy and spacy, I've been able to work out as usual and am really enjoying this break from w/d symptoms. 

• Moderator Emeritus

:D:lol::P:)

8 month hold.

• Administrator

Please consider reducing by a smaller amount, closer to 10% of 6mg. You'll need an oral syringe to do this.

Thanks for the replies. 

I might ask at the pharmacy for a syringe and go with a 1 mg reduction instead (I'm absolutely, and I mean absolutely, terrible at calculating and measuring things. I think if I'll go with 'weird' numbers I'll mess up at some point). But definitely thanks for the advice :)

Does anyone know the Dutch for an oral syringe? I have trouble finding it... 

• Moderator Emeritus

orale spuit?

Just found this:

1 fles, (270 ml) + een 10 ml doseerspuit en een inlegdop
1 bottle, (240 ml)+ 10 ml oral dosing syringe and adapter

You can always play charades :blink:

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

LOL I ended up on a paper that suggests as a better alternative that instead of going from 10 mg to 0 (citalopram) 10 - 5 - 0 would be better. Better, sure, but that's still pretty intense... 

Hm I really can't find anything in Dutch related to citalopram, guess it's not really something anyone does over here :/ I hope the pharmacy won't make an issue out of it.

• Mentor

twice in my 5 pregnancies, when I was on ADS....  I got pregnant,  I dumped the antidepressants, and had no problems......... The confusion of the first trimester, just blended into absolute happiness.    The problem was after the birth,   treat yourself gently, because the pregnancy hormones for me were gone, and the first few months after the births, were difficult.

Best wishes   

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Hey there ang,

Thanks for your comment. I'm glad I have the chance to (try) to get off ADs before attempting to get pregnant. It's hard having to wait, but it's all for the best. :) Thanks for the warning. I do wonder if I'm more likely to get ante/post natal depression because of my history... 

Update time (don't worry, I'll hold until after Christmas ;)). 

I've been doing fine this week. Ever since last Thursday night it's like a switch was turned off and my w/d symptoms are gone. I've been exercising as normal and I'm still content with my life. 

I'm a bit less 'happy' overall, but unless it gets worse I think it's just normal variation in moods and not depression-like w/d symptoms (it's def not near depression 'level' of less happy). 

The only thing I really miss about the higher doses: Being able to fall asleep more easily. I still make an enviable 8-10 hours a night, so I'm fine... But no matter how tired I am before going to bed, I'm back to my pre-meds state of simply taking 45 minutes to 2 hours to fall asleep (it has been like that as long as I can remember, and my mum told me I always had trouble falling asleep). It's not to bad, I don't worry like crazy or anything, I guess I just have to get used to fantasizing and daydreaming before I faal asleep, again. :( But yeah, being able to fall asleep within 20-40 minutes like an almost-normal person was great, while it lasted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you ever tried guided sleep meditation?

I must say I wasn't a big fan but some time ago when I was struggling badly I googled it and tried the first hit and now I simply love it. Occasionally I have troubles falling asleep. Yesterday I fell very sleepy reading a book but when I turned off the light my mind got very active and I was just getting more and more awake. Then I turned on this video and fell asleep at one point (don't remember when of course :) It was on the phone so it just switched off.

If you don't like this topic try some others. I was so so pleasantly surprised at how efficient they are: 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Let's see, anyone who can help with some numbers... I just want to be very sure for when (after Christmas) I'll lower my dose...

So I got an oral syringe (1 ml total, 0,1 - 0,2 etc. marked, with tiny lines in-between those). The pharmacist was really nice and thinking along, but also mentioned that it'll probably be difficult and that it might be 'more logical' to just reduce by going to 2 drops instead of the 3 I'm taking now. I'll try tonight to draw my current dose with the syringe to see if it's possible and how accurate I can be. I'm not sure yet what I'll do, but I consider going to 5 mg citalopram (now 6 mg or 3 drops). 

The liquid states '1 ml = 40 mg' on the box. I was on 10 mg (tablet) before, and the box notes that while 5 drops is technically 10 mg, 4 drops of the liquid should be about as effective as a 10 mg tablet. 

Is the following math correct? (Math has never been my strong suit, at all...)

1 ml = 40 mg

0,5 ml = 20 mg

0,1 ml = 4 mg

0,05 ml = 2 mg (or 1 drop) 

0,025 ml = 1 mg (packaging of syringe notes it's for 0,01 increments max)

That would mean that in order to lower my dose with one mg I'd need to be able to draw 0,025 ml of the liquid. (and for now also take 2 drops)

That... will be pretty much impossible. My fine motor skills are not that great to start with, and I think it would be way too easy to take more than intended. I guess I'll risk it and will just drop 1 drop (hah) after Christmas after all. Or would there be a reliable way to dilute it? (Mostly theoretical at this point, I doubt I'd go that far, unless the next lowering of the dose will be absolute undoable)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pretzle,

So you managed to get an oral syringe.  That's good news.  Just found this Post #11 in Tips for Tapering off Celexa:

Here is the product insert sheet (PDF) for liquid Celexa from the US National Institutes of Health:
http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archives/fdaDrugInfo.cfm?archiveid=6278

Celexa oral solution contains citalopram HBr equivalent to 2 mg/mL citalopram base. It also
contains the following inactive ingredients: sorbitol, purified water, propylene glycol,
methylparaben, natural peppermint flavor, and propylparaben.

As it already contains water, this suggests it can be diluted.

You may wish to check with a pharmacist.

There is also this topic:  using-an-oral-syringe-and-other-tapering-techniques/ that might be helpful.  I'm taking my med by capsules and haven't had any experience doing this so it might be worthwhile reading the info and waiting for suggestions from people who know about it.  I can remember reading somewhere about using a measuring cylinder for accuracy.  At least you've got a bit of time to work it out before you start to taper.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks, I think my Cit solution is different (Cipramil is the brand name here, and this one is alcohol based).

I'll have another look through the forums :) 

Other than this, I'm still doing well btw. No return of any symptoms, and libido is up, hehe.