SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Exercise ... Do more, do less, do nothing? What worked for you?

Razzle

This is still one of my worst "symptoms", the inability to do sports. Doing too much (sometimes just walking for 20 mins is too much) will give days of feeling terrible. As if poison would flow through my veins, hard to describe. I just hope this will stop some day...

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

It's aweful, I know! I used to hike and I was thin most my life. But with this and the antipsychotics I've gained at least 40 lbs. It is also making my pain so much worse that I can't get any muscle tone. I need to get some exercise but I just can't. I rode the bike for only 1 1/2 blocks yesterday and the nerves in my left leg are on fire. Crazy. So I guess I'll just try the Senior chair exercises and back yoga. It's better than nothing.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Just wanted to note about exercise:

Exercise can increase the release of cortisol, the stress and alerting hormone. Exertion may well make you feel lousy.

Walking is the form of exercise that least causes increases in cortisol. But if you do it strenuously and in the evening, you may well wake yourself up with some alerting hormone.

So don't overdo it, especially in the evening.

So should we only walk in the mornings? I'm asking because my therapist said walking can help calm down my anxiety...especially for 30 minutes.

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

• Moderator Emeritus

So should we only walk in the mornings? I'm asking because my therapist said walking can help calm down my anxiety...especially for 30 minutes.

I find that taking things easy in both the morning and middle to late evening works best for me. I usually read for a bit after I get up, fix a late breakfast, and then get going on errands and projects. (I'm retired and can pretty much do things when I feel like it, so this may not fit your schedule.)

Overdoing during withdrawal definitely brings on the symptoms, in my experience.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I wanted to do 30 minutes of walking daily, but I'm not sure if 30 minutes is just too much. I better start with 7-10 minutes and gradually increase.

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

Hi All....

Yesterday I wanted to get some sun and go into the water. I am so glad I did. I have some nice color and I did lots of water aerobics while chatting away with neighbors in our pool.

It always does a lot to boost my state of mind. I should do it again today B)

On Saturday mornings I attend an Al-Anon Meeting at 9AM under the Juno Beach Pier. It is the most relaxing thing and I do love Al-Anon meetings and the friends I have in the Fellowship. We have Brunch afterwards.

http://www.facebook.com/JunoBeachLife?sk=wall&filter=1

It really is this pretty

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Nikki.... you're makin' me jealous!! It is beautiful! I love the southeast coast and Caribbean. It's great that you have a community pool as well as beach. Summer here means people hibernate indoors because it gets so hot. I've rented a place closer to the beach a few summers.

I walked around a music festival in 100° weather last weekend after no activity for months. Woke up in full body pain the next morning but was able to get past it and return for another day of heat, slow walking, some sitting. My feet were screaming both days and I was barefoot by the end, but I think my suffering was in proportion to my lack of activity recently. It wasn't aerobic activity as I think you are referring to. Trying to gauge how outa shape I am but this was probably not a fair measure. I've never been athletic or able to build muscle.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Yes, start out 7-10 minutes and work up. I think 30 minutes to start out is too much. Better to go slow.

I'm doing pretty good with every other day and only 2 blocks. I believe I'll be able to increase it slowly. No flare ups :)

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I try to walk. I'm at a point where I can walk for a while but I really do best when I hit my sweet spot, not too fast or slow.

Lately, I don't sweat, almost not at all, which is concerning. But, I feel better when I walk. I find that strenuous exercise, like anaerobic exercise, just makes things a lot worse. Getting the blood flowing and moving without resistance helps me the most.

This summer I may swim a bit in freshwater. That sounds terrific, except I dont really want to display my body publicly and I will have to since I do not own my own private lake, river, sea or ocean. We shall see.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• 6 months later...

Hi, and hope everyone had alot of Turkey for Thanksgiving. We were so sick of it we had Chinese Food last night :lol:

I know alot of people going thru WD, particularly after a drop in dose are unable to endure physical activity....Been there at times.

For me the harder I work (physically) ~ the better off I am mentally & emotionally. While I work, my mind is busy focusing on the task. The physical labor does make me tired and I can go into a deeper sleep.

During my Lexapro taper I would Roller Blade with my daughter. We would go 5- miles. This being Southern Florida, jumping in the Ocean/Pool was very good for me too. There were many times I had to lay down after a drop, because I would get that Flu like sensation.

The hardest part of WD (for me) was/is, anxiety/the blues. It's a horror. I was always able to endure the physical maladies brought on my decreasing a dose.

Over the years I have realized that my personality is the type that does best with alot of physical workouts. It keeps the anxiety/depression away.

I work 15 hours a week at TJMaxx and I work at my own business. Cooking Thanksgiving was a killer. I am very tired, but it is a tiredness from work, not WD....Big difference.

Want to make a drop in the Celexa (afraid to), but I want to get off of the stuff eventually.

Looking forward to having a Saturday off, so I can go to my beach meeting, have brunch with the friends and then spend the afternoon taking a much needed snooze. ;)

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Hi Nikki

Thanks for the happy thanksgiving and hope you enjoyed yours.

We don't have it in the UK, but I'm kinda glad cos it sounds like another Christmas family thing and I don't have the type of family I want to spend time with at Christmas.

I am like you, physical excercise seems to do me the world of good. It can put me in a good mood.

I am really thankful to say that I can walk the half hour and back to my doctors surgery and feel good when I get back.

Like you though, I suffer from the blues and anxiety. I feel like my life is a mess, but I am accepting the challenge of coming of of it better.

The lack of motivation and the pi$$ed offness prevents me from doing what would really help my withdrawal, that same walk every day for an hour, to put me in a good mood.

I would love a walking craving to take over the blues.

pregan taper 600mg down to 240mg, daily cuts since xmas

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

Hi Primrose....

I understand that Serquel (I know I spelled that wrong) is rather sedating...Celexa and Imipramine are not sedating.

My personality keeps me from just sitting around. Although after work, I do like to watch mindless TV and veg-out.

I've mentioned this alot....guided meditation cd's are good medicine for me as well. I listen to them while I lay in bed. Very relaxing and I think some of them can be quite healing.

Lots of walking is bound to help with WD and the anxiety....it does for me.

Hugs

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

It's important to care for one's body, IMO, as injuries and illness represent serious risk to a tapering individual.

In my case, I injured myself early in the acute phase of my w/d ffrom Effexor and Risperdal by overexerting myself. Aside from the pain, I developed symptoms consistent with prostatitis, which is a very tricky diagnosis. Conventional doctors prescribe antibiotics even without evidence of bacterial infection and I followed doctors orders. The antibiotics likely played a role in the destabilizing of my immune system due to dysbiosis of the GI tract.

Since many chronic tension disorders are treated with SNRIs and TCAs targeting norepinephrine, I think it'd be doubly wise to be careful when tapering or experiencing diisrupted equilibrium post-taper with the noradrenergic drugs speifically. Ib my hunch of an opinion.

Alex

- Zimmerman

Hi Alex...most people who are tapering can't overexert themselves. It an really do a number and cause a set-back. I had that happen with Lexapro.

What I am noticing this time around is that in looking back, I did a non-stop type of taper of Lexapro. Drop the dose 1mg. - wait three to four weeks sometimes longer and then drop again.

So I was always tapering for two years.

I did engage in physical activity and held a full time job. There were many times I just needed to lay down.

This time I am dropping a larger amount (5mgs.) experience WD symptoms. They pass and I wait for a good while (few months) and then drop again. The time in between drops are when I can do alot without suffering a set-back.

This seems to work better for me (this time around). We shall see.....what happens in the next drop ;) Hope it continues to be doable.

I realize that when I am busy ~ I am better. It helps take the focus off of the WD miseries to a degree. Again, physical symptoms are very bearable for me. It's he anxiety, insomnia and blues that suck the life out of me :angry:

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Thanks Nikki.

I am glad you have found excercise to make you feel better.

pregan taper 600mg down to 240mg, daily cuts since xmas

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

I am much better when I am busy as well. And I think I do well when I raise my physical activity, but I have to do it slowly. I started taking some exercise classes lately and walking a lot more and I got the flu-like tiredness and extreme irritability. Once I adapted to the new amount of activity, however, I feel like it helped. But I had to cut myself some slack and reduce first, with plenty of rest afterward. I think the key is to very gradually increase activity.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

I think the key is to very gradually increase activity.

I think Nadia is 100% right.

As I said earlier, I got hurt by over doing exercise early in acute w/d and the injury (and antibiotics) changed the course of the last two years.

Also, I assume most people judge injury a freak thing, but I wasn't doing anything particularly dangerous. The heaviest weight I ever lifted was a pair of 25lbs weights (so 50 lbs total), an amount most fitness people would judge to be totally manageabel for a 31 year old male of 225+lbs.

Nikki, I'm adding this caution to any casual readers of the thread who may be in early w/d rather than specifically adddressing your situation.

best,

Alex

- Zimmerman

Exercise helps me quite a bit with my tapering. Although today was the first day i've exercised in months, i know how much it does help with the tiredness and lack of energy. My wife and i have been quite busy with a massive home remodeling project (i know, doesn't exactly help with the anxiety issues) and neither of us have had the energy or time to exercise. But today after work we worked out together for about 45 minutes in front of our light therapy light and i feel so much better than i have of late. I'm looking forward to the next workout Wednesday! :)

25mg Zoloft (down from 150mg over 13 years), 1mg Ativan

Alex I totally understand. It's not advisable to become a 'weekend warrior' for anyone in or out of WD from meds.

I have in the past had huge setbacks at times like Nadia said, fatigue.

For some reason, this does not happen to me now, not for a long time. Maybe I should not question it and just be grateful. :)

Then again I suppose I have a high threshold. Yes, starting off slow is the best method.

A friend of mine from another site used to tell me about taking cold water showers to stop anxiety and to inject some energy into myself a long time ago. That is helpful too.

Hugs

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Exercise helps me quite a bit with my tapering. Although today was the first day i've exercised in months, i know how much it does help with the tiredness and lack of energy. My wife and i have been quite busy with a massive home remodeling project (i know, doesn't exactly help with the anxiety issues) and neither of us have had the energy or time to exercise. But today after work we worked out together for about 45 minutes in front of our light therapy light and i feel so much better than i have of late. I'm looking forward to the next workout Wednesday! :)

Gruvedaddy,

What type of light therapy? (Apologies if you've mentioned previously)

Nikki, rollerblading at the beach looks wonderful. I'm sure it takes alot of strength and energy, but people make it look effortless, gliding with such ease. I tried on a pair of Rollerblades at a store and could barely stand up. Coordination is not my forte. :o.

It's great to be able to share that with your daughter. Team motivation.

Full body physical exhaustion is a good feeling, as opposed to straining legs, back, etc.

Gruvedaddy.. a massive home remodel??! That's trying under the best of circumstances. You must have a strong marriage!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Barbarannamated,

I have an older light therapy light that i use. I've begun a little research to see if it's still up to par with what's available nowadays. It has (3) 36 watt type "PL" fluorescent light bulbs. As for the remodel, it has tested the strength of our marriage. But the light at the end of the "remodel tunnel" is getting brighter and we're still holding on. :)

25mg Zoloft (down from 150mg over 13 years), 1mg Ativan

In the end, looking back on what I have accomplished the past two years, despite withdrawal, I am amazed! We are capable of so much more than what we think.

I have become acutely aware that I'm often my own worst enemy, holding myself back. This doesn't mean that if you think positive you can accomplish anything... certainly going slow is best so you don't overdo it. But just keep going forward.

Do not hurry, do not stop!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Moderator Emeritus

As I said earlier, I got hurt by over doing exercise early in acute w/d and the injury (and antibiotics) changed the course of the last two years.

Also, I assume most people judge injury a freak thing, but I wasn't doing anything particularly dangerous. The heaviest weight I ever lifted was a pair of 25lbs weights (so 50 lbs total), an amount most fitness people would judge to be totally manageabel for a 31 year old male of 225+lbs.

Nikki, I'm adding this caution to any casual readers of the thread who may be in early w/d rather than specifically adddressing your situation.

best,

Alex

May I ask in what way you hurt yourself? Do you mean that you somehow damaged your recovering nervous system, or was it a more basic injury?

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

I've tried exercise a few times now, and I've found that in the period after exercising (usually the next few days) I experience elevated withdrawal symptoms. But since my symptoms are still constantly shifting, it's possible that this has been a coincidence when it's happened. I would really like to be able to exercise, as I'm trying to lose a bit of weight...but I'm scared that if I try my symptoms will flare up again. Do people have the sense that exercise can you set you back in terms of recovery, or does it just cause a temporary agitation? What do we think might be happening physiologically with exercise and withdrawal?

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

I've tried exercise a few times now, and I've found that in the period after exercising (usually the next few days) I experience elevated withdrawal symptoms. But since my symptoms are still constantly shifting, it's possible that this has been a coincidence when it's happened. I would really like to be able to exercise, as I'm trying to lose a bit of weight...but I'm scared that if I try my symptoms will flare up again. Do people have the sense that exercise can you set you back in terms of recovery, or does it just cause a temporary agitation? What do we think might be happening physiologically with exercise and withdrawal?

I recall this being the case for several people, exactly as you describe. There is a thread about it somewhere (I forget the name).

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

A day of light moving during a somewhat sensitive state has me reeling. It feels like someone somehow got a handful of my nerves and is twisting them about. Physical exertion seems to really be a trigger for me.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

A moderate amount of exercise when a person in withdrawal is having a reasonably good day seems to be helpful, but like Barbarannamated, I remember reading quite a few posts about people overdoing exercise and feeling pretty bad for one or more days afterward. (I tried to find the topic, but can't and I think the posts are probably scattered around). I don't think it's any sort of permanent or even long-term setback, but there's no point in making ourselves miserable for even a short period of time. Withdrawal will provide plenty of discomfort all by itself.

Our bodies and minds seem to be in such a fragile state during withdrawal that too much of anything can cause problems. It's best to try a tiny bit of something, whether exercise or a supplement, and increase it gradually.

I'm also wondering if you were working outside without sunglasses. That may have put your cortisol level in an uproar. Withdrawal causes extreme light sensitivity in most folks.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

the sunlight without sunglasses is a good point Jemima - it would make sense that this could exacerbate cortisol sensitivity issues

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

About two weeks ago (5 and a half months after my last withdrawal attempt) I finally regained the ability to exercise. I'm not sure what other people's timetables have been like, but I thought I'd share this development.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

I definitely benefit from hard (not totally exhausting, but still demanding) physical exercise. I know that generally, for people in withdrawal, depressed, or anxious, it's advised a lighter approach, but I tend to feel better if I push myself a little bit more.

From 2001 to 2010, I took almost continuosly a host of different SSRIs , including Prozac, Celexa and Paxil, plus various benzodiazepines and Bupropion for a limited period of time.

From July 2010 to April 2012 >> Duloxetine, dose ranging from 60mg to 120mg.

From August 2012 to September 2012 >> reinstated 30 mg of Duloxetine

From September 2012 until present days >> Valproic Acid/Sodium Valproate, dose ranging from 300mg to 1000mg. Now I'm on 400mg. I've also taken Amisulpride (50mg) for 9 days and Abilify (10ml) only once.

It's touch and go for alot of people during WD. There can be major setbacks of feeling lousy.

I did have that happen during a Lexapro taper, but not that often. When it did happen it was a signal to slow down and rest which I did and then it would go away.

Having to keep moving is how I am wired. It serves me well.

I guess it comes down to listening to our bodies.

Physical busyness has been good for me mentally. I am not in a WD mode right now. Even when I was, physical activity helped alot and for me even during WD. It helped me maintain my sanity or what was left of it.

I remember going for 5k walks and crying after a drop in dose. Maybe it was cleansing.

Listen to your body B)

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

I started exercising two weeks ago. Mostly walking and weight routines I did before I tapered. I don't exercise on days with WD symptoms (that aren't the minor ones I can deal with like minor blurry vision). So on those good days, I workout. I joined a gym just up the street and it's very small with not a lot of members so I can generally get on a treadmill or the weight machines with no problem. I've found that the treadmill for 30-40 minutes helps a lot. I even set it on an incline for the first 20 minutes to work my glutes and hamstrings. But I don't push so hard that I'm wiped out from it or too sore or even putting my taper at risk of triggering more WD. I just push so I feel like I'm getting a good workout or maybe a bit harder. But when it feels too intense, I back off since I'd rather exercise more days than less and if I push to hard that means more rest days are needed. The weights are the thing that really make me sore. But I really think they are most beneficial because they require balance, attention to form, focus and weight training is generally beneficial to most people.

I started slower and do what I can handle. I take days off from exercising when I'm sore post workout and/or dealing with WD symptoms. I push a bit during my workouts, but not too hard because the goal is to keep at it regularly rather than go so hard I'm not able to continue. This balanced approach seems to be working so far. I started working out to lose the 40lbs I gained since I began the tapers but now I find that it's not only about losing the weight. I like that it's a nice way to break up the day and it's also a nice way to feel better about myself - physically and emotionally. It relieves stress and burns off energy so that I do get some better sleep and even naps at times. So there are a lot of pluses. It's just a matter of not pushing ones self too much during the WD and balancing how much or how hard to work out and when to work out.

When things slow down here I would like to join the gym....they have marvelous deals out there now.

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Moderator Emeritus

best,

Alex

When I first started my taper I was in more intense withdrawal than now and I noticed that there seemed to be a problem with my connective tissue healing--I would injure myself more easily and it would heal more slowly. I've heard the same thing reported by others, not extremely frequently but still consistently from time to time, especially with benzo withdrawal. I suspect there may be some involvement of glutamate in connective tissue health. Anyway, this isn't the first time I've heard of this sort of thing.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

About two weeks ago (5 and a half months after my last withdrawal attempt) I finally regained the ability to exercise. I'm not sure what other people's timetables have been like, but I thought I'd share this development.

I spoke too soon. Tried some modest weight lifting and suffered a bad flare-up. I hardly have them now so there's no question regarding the culprit.

I really would like to bulk up a little, I'm feeling mighty unsexy these days with my post-withdrawal flab. Oh well.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

I would like to join one of our local gyms. The deals are great (for muscle tone) and then I think, just go out and walk.

I am fortunate not to have the problems others experience with physical labor.

I have not dropped a dose in quite sometime and that may be the reason. It is also a large part of my constitution. I have quite a bit of stamina.

A problem with tiredness is just not getting enough sleep.

Maybe the best thing is just walking :)

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy