SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Exercise ... Do more, do less, do nothing? What worked for you?

Razzle

Hey Osk were you able to exercise the whole time during WD?

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Yes, most of the time I could handle exercise - and it helped mildly relieve Akathesia/panic/anxiety symptoms when nothing else would.  There were definitely some periods of exercise intolerance, but even during those periods I never had any problems with long walks (1-4 miles).

Okay thanks. I haven't been able to tolerate anything other than walks yet.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

I find that exercise generally helps. I feel very tired and sleepy all the time and I have to force myself to run or swim but once I start it feels ok and does offer calming relief most times.

10/2012 - Lexapro 10mg

2013/2014 - Started experiencing visual disturbances, like visual processing was slow, feeling drunk all the time

9/2014 - Lexapro 5mg, didn't notice any withdrawal, drunk feeling went away

2015 - Drunk feeling came back

5/2015 - Lexapro 2.5mg - 1.25mg - insomnia started

6/2015 - Lexapro 0.625mg

7/2015 - Severe symptoms started, in desperation on advice of pdoc restarted 5mg Lexapro - total disaster

8/2015 - Lexapro 5mg, disoriented, sleepless zombie

9/2015 - Very reluctantly started transitioning to Zoloft

as of 10/10/2105 - no lexapro, 37.5mg Zoloft

12/14/2015 - 35mg zoloft, 1/16/2016 - 34mg

I mention this in case it is of use to you.

I realised at the beginning of the year that my current problems are related to the histamine intolerance I developed at 2years off meds. I have been following my version of low histamine diet since then and things have gradually improved ( and I ve lost weight at a rate of half a pound a week adding up to 28lb yippee). Now I have had problems with exercise in the same period. Recently while feeling better I have noticed I can do 6000-12000 steps around house and garden or gently strolling with H but if I go for a walk alone I get symptoms. The same symptoms as if I had ingested a histamine trigger food. Dreams , palpitation wake ups, burning skin, always at night, that I had originally attributed to just raised cortisol levels from WD that I couldn't do anything about. My symptoms were not amenable to blacking out light etc made no difference.

So. I thought why symptoms when I walk alone? Anxiety ? Didn't think so. Alone I naturally picked up the pace. H is a bit of a dawdler. One question to google revealed that aerobic and resistance exercise releases histamine, a vasodilator. Hence it triggering my symptoms and leaving my unable to exercise. The more unfit you are the more histamine is released vicious circle. So can pick up armfuls of leaves in the garden but digging with a trowel will give me symptoms.

I googled graded exercise therapy which is how they treat chronic fatigue syndrome and am going to implement a program from today. Basically start keeping within what you can tolerate and systematically and incrementally increase it. A bit like rigidly sticking to my low histamine diet has brought improvement , there don't seem to be any quick fixes. But the boom and bust cycle either eating or exercising will keep you where you are now.

I don't know if any of this makes sense to you it is just what I have puzzled out about myself.

On another note. I have just taken up knitting. I soon noticed it was becoming a bit addictive so consulted google and apparently the same areas in your brain light up as when you practise meditation or mindfulness and it increases serotonin levels, the latter being why I have to restrict my knitting fixes ! I would assume any creative activity that requires focus and concentration would bring about the same improvements I have noticed.

I hope there maybe something in there of help as the inability to exercise thing frustrates and worries me too.

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

I mention this in case it is of use to you.

I realised at the beginning of the year that my current problems are related to the histamine intolerance I developed at 2years off meds. I have been following my version of low histamine diet since then and things have gradually improved ( and I ve lost weight at a rate of half a pound a week adding up to 28lb yippee). Now I have had problems with exercise in the same period. Recently while feeling better I have noticed I can do 6000-12000 steps around house and garden or gently strolling with H but if I go for a walk alone I get symptoms. The same symptoms as if I had ingested a histamine trigger food. Dreams , palpitation wake ups, burning skin, always at night, that I had originally attributed to just raised cortisol levels from WD that I couldn't do anything about. My symptoms were not amenable to blacking out light etc made no difference.

So. I thought why symptoms when I walk alone? Anxiety ? Didn't think so. Alone I naturally picked up the pace. H is a bit of a dawdler. One question to google revealed that aerobic and resistance exercise releases histamine, a vasodilator. Hence it triggering my symptoms and leaving my unable to exercise. The more unfit you are the more histamine is released vicious circle. So can pick up armfuls of leaves in the garden but digging with a trowel will give me symptoms.

I googled graded exercise therapy which is how they treat chronic fatigue syndrome and am going to implement a program from today. Basically start keeping within what you can tolerate and systematically and incrementally increase it. A bit like rigidly sticking to my low histamine diet has brought improvement , there don't seem to be any quick fixes. But the boom and bust cycle either eating or exercising will keep you where you are now.

I don't know if any of this makes sense to you it is just what I have puzzled out about myself.

On another note. I have just taken up knitting. I soon noticed it was becoming a bit addictive so consulted google and apparently the same areas in your brain light up as when you practise meditation or mindfulness and it increases serotonin levels, the latter being why I have to restrict my knitting fixes ! I would assume any creative activity that requires focus and concentration would bring about the same improvements I have noticed.

I hope there maybe something in there of help as the inability to exercise thing frustrates and worries me too.

How do you know your problems are related to histamine?  Please be specific.

I didn't for a long time. I just had these seemingly random exacerbations of symptoms that it seemed impossible to control or predict. I ve never had an allergy or an intolerance to any foodstuff in my life before and it seemed unlikely that things I d been eating all my life were now causing me a problem. But in desperation having picked up on a few things that resonated in other people's threads I looked into it started keeping a food diary and noticed associations with my eating certain foods and having bad palpitations burning skin and dreams during the night and waking with bad anxiety. So I started to cut things out ( I also react badly to sugar and caffeine ) and I noticed that if I had the problem foods ( sometimes its difficult in restaurants for example you don't know always everything in the dish ) I would have a bad night/flare up. So I have stuck to my version of a low histamine diet, everyone is slightly different and things have calmed down a lot. Its my belief if I hadn't stumbled into this it would take me a lot longer to get well because my system would be constantly be being revved up whereas I keep things as same and as calm as possible. As with everything in WD there is no rule book or map I m just blundering along like everyone else but for the most part , despite still having some symptoms and restrictions my days are mainly happy . Probably not great by a "normal" persons standards but much improved over the last few years by mine . I hope that helps

I also am curious about the histamine?  And how to control it with diet.  Also, is there any way to control the cortisol spikes with diet?  I am walking every day.  How far and often depends on how I feel.  After being put on ad's in the 90's I started having muscle soreness.  So then was diagnosed with fibro and fatigue syndrome.   Wonder how much of that was a direct cause of the ad's.  Still after 8 months now of being ad free i still am having the muscle soreness and fatigue.  But I do still make myself walk because at one time i was a very active person and I will become that person again!  Im so angry with what life the  meds have took away from me i refuse to allow the rest of my life to be controlled by them. I tried starting back on aerobics but guess to soon still for that.  But I will!!! Im 59 yrs now and want some quality of life back.    I raised 6 children by myself, was a soccer coach for some of them for years as well as worked more then a full time job. Then in 2002 I had to take in 2 grand children to raise. They still are with me even though they are 17 and 18 now.  And they are very stressful!   My adult children are living scattered all over the US and I miss them so very much! I could use their moral support!  Yesterday I was wishing I could go back into the past and have a re do butten

Started on ad's in the mid 90's.  

Amitriptyline , prozac , Wellbutrin, 'zoloft, effexor, trazodone,   remeron, Paxil, cymbalta 

xanax, buspar, lyrica, gabapentin, sam e, 5htp, L tryptophan, There were other ad's but I cant remember them all. 

Ambien, lunesta, cyclobenzaprine,

levothyroxine

Last ad was  Paxil, 60 mg.  I did a 6mt tapor, 

Only meds at this time is the levothyroxine, fish oil, folic acid, and unisom 

Am less interested in the actual biochemistry than I am in identifying a problem and trying to sort it. So what I called my cortisol surges have responded to my low histamine no alcohol no caffeine no sugar diet. I did say not completely fixed yet but I hope to be and am much improved. I am very disciplined I never deviate . I do totally sympathise with your situation and share your frustrations. I don't think everyone in WD is necessarily intolerant of these things but suspect quite a few of the long termers may be. There is NO magic bullet in WD this isn't either but it has helped me a lot

I know I have been doing a lot better since Ive become vegan!  As far as the pain levels and mental confusion.  For Thanksgiving and the day after I broke my vegan diet, did dairy products and sugar and yesterday and today am in a lot more pain and mental problems.  So back to vegan for me.  And I do agree with sugar, it is poison to me

Am less interested in the actual biochemistry than I am in identifying a problem and trying to sort it. So what I called my cortisol surges have responded to my low histamine no alcohol no caffeine no sugar diet. I did say not completely fixed yet but I hope to be and am much improved. I am very disciplined I never deviate . I do totally sympathise with your situation and share your frustrations. I don't think everyone in WD is necessarily intolerant of these things but suspect quite a few of the long termers may be. There is NO magic bullet in WD this isn't either but it has helped me a lot

Started on ad's in the mid 90's.  

Amitriptyline , prozac , Wellbutrin, 'zoloft, effexor, trazodone,   remeron, Paxil, cymbalta 

xanax, buspar, lyrica, gabapentin, sam e, 5htp, L tryptophan, There were other ad's but I cant remember them all. 

Ambien, lunesta, cyclobenzaprine,

levothyroxine

Last ad was  Paxil, 60 mg.  I did a 6mt tapor, 

Only meds at this time is the levothyroxine, fish oil, folic acid, and unisom 

A vegan diet would be very low histamine by definition. I don't think we can underestimate the importance of what we eat in WD to promote healing. I was astonished to learn that something like 90% of serotonin is found in the gut.

Good for you. I hope you get well very very soon

I get the sense that this whole histamine intolerance theory is not very well substantiated and strongly anecdotal. 

Are there any objective ways to get "tested" for histamine intolerance?  If not, it seems like a bunch of hand-waving.

It sounds a lot like the whole "gluten free" fad, where someone swears that they're allergic to gluten - but in reality it's only relevant to a very very small % of the general population - and therefore almost entirely placebo.

Hey there. 

So, I'm currently tapering off from Citalopram. I usually exercise pretty much daily (some days an actual workout, other days stretching/mobility exercises). (Shout out to 'ifyoucanmove.com'  Keaira Lashae's website - it's an online gym and I love how motivating she is :)).

Sunday I fell over during a workout (dizziness/vertigo and hopping back and forth don't mix very well. Who would've thought). No bruises or anything, don't worry :) 

Basically I'm asking: During withdrawal/tapering, do you exercise as usual? More, less? How has it effected your ability to exercise. What should I aim for?  

I try to keep moving (I cycle 20 mins to work, and back daily. With some other cycling mixed in, so I'm moving a bit anyway). I miss being able to go hard at exercising, though. But (I hope) that'll come back once I get used to the dose I'm at now. 

Other than that, when I was at a high dose (40 mg) I typically slept for 11-13 hours a night, and often took an hour/90 minute nap during the day. Recently I didn't need the naps anymore and would sleep 9-10 hours a night (pretty normal for me, I've always needed quite a bit of sleep. I just go to bed early to make sure I can get enough sleep.)

Over the last 4 days I've taken 2 naps (basically, when it's possible I'll nap for a bit). I've noticed that after a nap the spacy feeling/dizziness is gone for a bit (for about an hour) before it returns. So I feel like apparently the naps are good for me (I mean, naps give your brain a break, which is probably especially important during withdrawal). 

So for the naps: It's ok right? I shouldn't feel bad for napping if possible. (Just want some 'Yeah, it's ok, take and enjoy those naps :) You need them/you've earned them in trying to come off meds'). 

On Citalopram (Celexa) since January 2014. Up to 40 mg (highest dose) then down to 10 mg (few months at both 30 mg and 20 mg). In the process of tapering off completely using liquid form of the drug. 4 drops (8mg) is supposedly equal to 10 mg tablet.

(early Dec:) 3 drops (6 mg), two weeks of pretty bad symptoms (all physical) and then fine, held for 2 weeks after that.

(27 Dec) 2 drops (4 mg), (23 Jan) 2 mg -> steady lowering by 0.25 every few days to (14 Feb) 0 mg.

Wow, good for you..I need to check out that site. The "official" recommendation is 30 minutes of gentle exercise/day. The definition of gentle of course varies depending on prior fitness level. The goal is to avoid stimulating excessive cortisol production which vigorous exercise can do.

As long as you can still sleep at night, as much rest as possible is a good thing. Brains repair themselves during sleep.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I'm tapering from a higher dose of citalopram and much slower, and this is my first real drop, so maybe my experience isn't the most accurate, but:

I can exercise by walking and swimming without much difficulty. Running will be hard sometimes because one of my tapering symptoms has been stomach issues that flare up when I try to run. So there's that "gentle exercise" thing, swimming and walking will have to be the main ways of staying active if my stomach keeps cramping up.

-Started on Citalopram 20mg & Zopiclone 7.5mg in August 2010 after stressful life events induced anxiety attacks

-Given olanzapine 2.5mg due to not sleeping through the night with zopiclone (I have never had any symptoms of psychosis)

-Went up to 40mg Citalopram sometime in 2011 after disastrous flirtation with Wellbutrin

-Tapered off zopiclone by January 2013 (take as PRN sometimes)

-Jan 10/2016: Back up to full dose of citalopram after attempted taper from late November 2015

-Jan 2018: Cut to 1.8mg of olanzapine from 1.825

-Mid-August 2018: Cut from 1.8mg olanzapine to 1.76mg. Probable withdrawal symptoms emerged about ten days later. Went back up to 1.8mg

-July 2021: Currently experiencing a strange "episode", withdrawal but no dose changes???

Current meds and doses: 1.8mg Olanzapine (compounded capsules), 40mg Citalopram, 1.25mg zopiclone (as PRN, taken once every few weeks during good periods and once or twice a week during bad ones)

Thanks for the reply. 

it's good to read that at least it's normal to have to take it slower than before. (And bad to see that we have to take it slower, if you know what I mean :/).

Let's all keep active in whatever way we can :) 

On Citalopram (Celexa) since January 2014. Up to 40 mg (highest dose) then down to 10 mg (few months at both 30 mg and 20 mg). In the process of tapering off completely using liquid form of the drug. 4 drops (8mg) is supposedly equal to 10 mg tablet.

(early Dec:) 3 drops (6 mg), two weeks of pretty bad symptoms (all physical) and then fine, held for 2 weeks after that.

(27 Dec) 2 drops (4 mg), (23 Jan) 2 mg -> steady lowering by 0.25 every few days to (14 Feb) 0 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've found exercise quite a tricky thing to work out.  I find I have conflicting feelings about it, because all my pre-w/d instincts tell me to get out and exercise in order to be happier, and also tireder so I sleep better at night, and just for general health.

But then my new instincts are not to do too much in case I over-activate my nervous system and end up with worse symptoms.

Over the last 6 months I've arrived at a bit of a middle-ground, which does change depending if I'm in a wave or window.  I changed my yoga class to a 'gentle yoga' class, and I talked to the teacher about why I might be in 'child's pose' at random moments.  I had to stop dance - it was way too active.  I can garden in fairly short bursts, especially if it's not too sunny.  Lately I can walk further, but running just doesn't happen :).  

Really I just had to try different things and see how I reacted.  One dance class followed by a horrid headache and four days of ramped-up symptoms was enough to make me learn my limits.  Now I do things like 2-3 mins of yoga scattered through the day, and it's just enough to feel good without getting over-done. 

Actually, exercise is one area that I initially found frustrating but which I now enjoy because it really got me practiced at listening to my body.

Napping is all good I think.  Makes sense to be listening in to your body and giving it the rest it needs.  I often consider my w/d self to have similar needs to a baby, and babies need lots of naps in order to develop their brain. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

I exercised today :D 

I'm more ok now with taking it a bit easier, so during exercise I'll just go slower if it's really difficult. I don't feel like I have to force myself to do as much as I did before. 

Spaced-out feeling is back today, but slightly less than earlier this week. Keep on improving, body...

Exercise is weird for me. I had been playing squash once a week and quite intensely, returning home with my shirt drenched in sweat and feeling nothing but the usual tiredness of legs the next day. Sadly, my partner got a back ache and called it quits. On the other hand, working out with weights hasn't been the same after paroxetine: cramps come much easier. So I'm taking some walks or doing cardio these days.

In terms of sleep, I come from the other side, with a medicine that tends to reduce take sleep away instead of increasing it. Right now I am on a sweet spot, sleeping 6-7 hours at night and taking 30-45 min naps. Or at least I was, because this last two days I have been waking up from my naps feeling unusually groggy for two or three hours, which is quite bothersome and I don't want to fell into the caffeine temptation. I remember this grogginess after naps being mentioned in the other late forum. Does anyone knows a theory about why this happens?

Name LostInTheWoods evokes both the feeling of getting stranded, forsaken and alone in an alien, hostile environment and the chance to experience awareness, tranquility and self-discovery during the experience. Just call me Lost in the posts.

February 2012. After a crisis, a crippling anxiety that culminated in a panic attack. Started 20 mg Paxil and Clonazepam.

Clonazepam left quickly in the 2nd attempt.

About about a year on 20 mg, begin tapering.

June 2014, after several weeks on 5 mg and trying to dose down, went CT.

May 2015.Anxiety came back again, went to psychiatrist back. Fluoxetine was tried and left because of bad reaction, returned to paroxetine. Start tapering in mid 2016.

December 2016. After like 2 months of going 2,5 mg, stopped paroxetine.

Truth to be told, descended into a downward spiral of caffeine, alcohol and masturbation.

January  26, 2017. Wave with some tinnitus that was fixed by a visit to the ENT.

April 21, 2017. Acid reflux at night was a stressor that triggered another wave.Vices have been put into check and only a drink or two a week remain.

By May 7 stabilized with a little anxiety left and some pains.

• Moderator Emeritus

The theory I remember hearing over the years was that a nap longer than 20 mins can leave you groggy cause you get into a much deeper sleep.  Might be true...

Edited by KarenB
Merged similar topics.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

If you have time for longer naps you might want to try a full sleep-cycle (about 90 minutes). If I have plenty of time I just don't set my alarm and get up when I first wake up (during the day I always wake up after a full sleep cycle, so no real problems there, the most I'll be in bed is just under 2 hours). 

I love napping  :) I've noticed that at the moment a nap will 'reset' my symptoms for the day (first few hours after waking I don't feel spaced out at all, then it'll become noticeable, so napping then gives me another hour or two without the spacy feeling).

I exercised this morning (stretching/relaxing video and then a 5 minute intense workout). It was pretty nice. I am feeling pretty woozy/spacy now, but that might just be because I've been awake for a while now. 

• 1 month later...

I like what a previous person said - just start on it, take it easy and don't push.

I do 30-40mins of yoga/pilates daily(ish)....or an hour of gentle bush walking.

Was doing squash x3 a week for an hour before I started tapering and was really reluctant to go again cause I feel sore/tired, but gave it a go anyway.

Last about 30mins and didn't push and I feel ok, and played better cause I can see the ball now (had pretty poor vision with the AD).

So I think I will try 30-40mins of yoga/pilates daily(ish)....or an hour of gentle bush walking, and 30-45 mins of squash x3 a week, and if I don't feel like it I will just start on it and see how I go.

Prescribed Lexapro in 2003 and switched to Cipramil (5-10mg per day) 2004 with Lamictal.

Stopped Lamictal cold turkey with no withdrawals in 2014 with support of a Paleo diet. 

2003-2015 Cipramil only: 5mg 21 Dec 15: 2.5mg 28 Dec 15: 2.25mg 4 Jan 16: 1.575mg 10 Jan 16: 1.1025 11 Jan 16: 0.7875 25 Jan 16: 0.9, 1 Feb: 0.8, 8 Feb 0.75, 15 Feb 0.5, 29 Feb 0.25, 21 March 0.17, 4 April: 0.10, 25 April 0.05, 8 May 2016 0.05, 15 May 2016 NIL 21 June 2016 0.1, 5 Sep 16: 0.2 7 Sep 16: 0.15 16 Sep 16: 0.075 3 Oct 16: 0.015 17 October: 0.015, 14 Nov 2016: Reinstate 0.005, 26 Dec 16 0.0045, 2 Jan 17 0.004, 20 Feb 17 0.003, 3 Apr 17 0.002, 22 May 17 NIL. 

Supplements/Lifestyle: Low oxalate diet. Christian music all the time! B12 drops, Broccoli sprouts, Integra Nutritionals Gemmune IB, Zinc drops, Tresos Natal, Spatone Healing rooms: https://www.facebook.com/FODaustralia/videos and http://sydneyheal.com/service/time-and-location/

I hate, hate, hate that my body is taken away!! I've been mentally ill for long time but I used to excersize a lot, all the time. that's even how I coped with my depression. but now I haven't been able to exercise for almost 3 years, and it just makes me angry and sad. I really miss my toned and fit body and sports. all I can do now is walk, very gentle yin yoga or very gentle swimming. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

Sorry to hear that Rapunzel. Can you do some easy pilates - for me it doesn't take me much to tone up and in any case (so it is said) 80% of our body is food. Is your food ok?

Prescribed Lexapro in 2003 and switched to Cipramil (5-10mg per day) 2004 with Lamictal.

Stopped Lamictal cold turkey with no withdrawals in 2014 with support of a Paleo diet. 

2003-2015 Cipramil only: 5mg 21 Dec 15: 2.5mg 28 Dec 15: 2.25mg 4 Jan 16: 1.575mg 10 Jan 16: 1.1025 11 Jan 16: 0.7875 25 Jan 16: 0.9, 1 Feb: 0.8, 8 Feb 0.75, 15 Feb 0.5, 29 Feb 0.25, 21 March 0.17, 4 April: 0.10, 25 April 0.05, 8 May 2016 0.05, 15 May 2016 NIL 21 June 2016 0.1, 5 Sep 16: 0.2 7 Sep 16: 0.15 16 Sep 16: 0.075 3 Oct 16: 0.015 17 October: 0.015, 14 Nov 2016: Reinstate 0.005, 26 Dec 16 0.0045, 2 Jan 17 0.004, 20 Feb 17 0.003, 3 Apr 17 0.002, 22 May 17 NIL. 

Supplements/Lifestyle: Low oxalate diet. Christian music all the time! B12 drops, Broccoli sprouts, Integra Nutritionals Gemmune IB, Zinc drops, Tresos Natal, Spatone Healing rooms: https://www.facebook.com/FODaustralia/videos and http://sydneyheal.com/service/time-and-location/

I wonder why we all get affected so differently in WD. I mean physically some people can do alot while others are greatly limited and close to bed ridden. It all goes away at some point but I just find it weird. No correlation between a CT or fast taper and a slow taper, even dosage and the number of meds. I don't see any patterns

Rapunzel I am alot like you. I cant do anything more than a moderate walk. I used to play hockey and workout 4-6 x a week. It feels like my adrenals are blown out or like I have a terrible body flu. At some point it will lift. Ive read people saying fatigue lasted 3 yrs than started to go away.

Rapunzel I am alot like you. I cant do anything more than a moderate walk. I used to play hockey and workout 4-6 x a week. It feels like my adrenals are blown out or like I have a terrible body flu. At some point it will lift. Ive read people saying fatigue lasted 3 yrs than started to go away.

read the last post here

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1508-antidepressantsfactscom/

I felt that Charles helped me understand and recover... this is from his site which he no longer attends to from what I can see... still a lot of good pointers. 

I am hit and miss for a long long time I could not manage even a walk... don't be too hard on yourself even tho it seems impossible it really is wd... it took me a long time to believe it too... I thought I had a disease but it was wd. 

peace Mort

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

thank you all! I just needed to vent, miss my body a lot...

Faithgirl - yes my food is ok - gluten-free-casein-free and healthy in most aspects (could cut down with sugar lately though). 

I also have too high workload so even for walking I don't often have time and energy. I hope the situation will change from this summer, I might get an easier job. then I will at least do easier excersise regularly. and I could afford feeling worse after doing some sports... in this way I could do more trial and error, about where my limits are. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

What's worked for me- exercise, even if it's as small as going for a walk outside for 10 minutes.  That tends to help me sleep better. This, and a light box- has worked wonders for me.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

thank you all! I just needed to vent, miss my body a lot...

Faithgirl - yes my food is ok - gluten-free-casein-free and healthy in most aspects (could cut down with sugar lately though). 

I also have too high workload so even for walking I don't often have time and energy. I hope the situation will change from this summer, I might get an easier job. then I will at least do easier excersise regularly. and I could afford feeling worse after doing some sports... in this way I could do more trial and error, about where my limits are. 

Please be nice to yourself... and your body I do get it but have learned one neg thing leads to the next this I think is partly a wd issue too all the negativity.  So thought I would just chime in here to say your body is wonderful and it is working extremely hard to over come this trial please be kind to you.  The fact that you can work while going thru this is enough for me to stand and applaud.  Withdrawal is a shifting thing and changes all the time in my experience so figuring out your limits may help for a time but they will change.. or at least that is my experience in wd... 

What I have learned go when the getting is good and while I do miss my old body I have learned to admire and respect my new one for all it has over come... like a veteran with scars I am continually in awe of how much it has...managed to survive and still goes... maybe not perfectly but it goes.. that impresses me. 

I wish you peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

What's worked for me- exercise, even if it's as small as going for a walk outside for 10 minutes.  That tends to help me sleep better. This, and a light box- has worked wonders for me.

May I ask what you use the light box for?  Thanks

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

I notice that when I get less than 6-8 hours of sleep, I feel AWFUL - my nerves hurt, and just feel much much less intelligent and less pleasurable.

I also notice when I get like 11-12+ hours of sleep, I also feel "off" by not even close to as bad as when I don't get enough sleep.  I think the whole "don't get too much sleep" advice is very strongly over hyped - and the positive benefits of sleep FAR OUTWEIGH the negative ones - especially for those of us damaged by psych meds.  We need that extra sleep to heal!

I definitely noticed that my recovery accelerated exponentially once I was able to get 12+ hours of sleep for a while.  I actually forced myself to get that much sleep knowing that sleep is when the body heals itself from various forms of damage - including nerve damage.  Based on this theory, I found that this forced sleep really did improve my recovery dramatically - but that as a rule, I tend to feel better at this point in my recovery with something like 8-10 hours of quality sleep.

It took a while to actually attain sleep, probably like a good 6 months after my worst period before I was able to get a reliable 8+ hours of sleep each night.  It was bad sleep, and it took me a while to get to sleep at night, but once I was in deep sleep I tended to stay there for a while.

Sleep and dreams became - and have been since - sometimes my one area of solace in an otherwise miserable consciousness.  I look forward to my sleep now - and honestly find it to be the most precious aspect of my entire existence.

Without enough sleep and a forced sleep cycle my condition deteriorated dramatically.  I would encourage anyone here to get as much sleep as their body wants them to get.  I find that I tend to feel worse if I don't listen to my body and get either too much or too little sleep.

Osk that is a good point. I have noticed during WD that sleep was hard. But lately I've noticed better and longer sleep. I won't get up until I feel rested no matter what time it is. I feel like its helping alot. I used to get woken up with massive surges of cortisol but lately none of that. Hopefully this continued sleep helps me get stronger. I am alot like you as in it takes me awhile to fall asleep sometimes early into the morning but when I do sleep I tend to stay there for a good 7-10hrs now. During the first 14 months or so this wasn't the case. I was constantly interrupted by symptoms.

My body was begging for rest when this all started but for 6 months I pushed myself very hard to work through immense pain in my stomach . I got no sleep and eventually I crashed.But I cant blame myself because I didn't know what wad going on. Glad to know you got back to work. Thats a big step to recovery. Being strong enough to follow a schedule and do a job is a big deal.

I hate, hate, hate that my body is taken away!! I've been mentally ill for long time but I used to excersize a lot, all the time. that's even how I coped with my depression. but now I haven't been able to exercise for almost 3 years, and it just makes me angry and sad. I really miss my toned and fit body and sports. all I can do now is walk, very gentle yin yoga or very gentle swimming. 

Totally empthasize with you rapunzel2.

I was not only a marathoner but very good at all sports - love to be active (keeps me feeling "alive").  This WD situation has been a nightmare and as a result I have had to see things very differently and adapt to doing things differently as well.

There are many active people on this forum and I read with interest how they are all coping with such a huge lifestyle change which it is.

Our minds are willing but our flesh is now weak - for me it is like being a geriatric (having to treat my body this carefully).

Although like others, I have had to adapt to doing things differently in order to accommodate the side effects of too much activity.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to note about exercise:Exercise can increase the release of cortisol, the stress and alerting hormone. Exertion may well make you feel lousy.Walking is the form of exercise that least causes increases in cortisol. But if you do it strenuously and in the evening, you may well wake yourself up with some alerting hormone.So don't overdo it, especially in the evening.

This is so true . Feeling somewhat better have been increasing exercise/activity and had been walking on the treadmill at 4 mph and got up to 40 mins in the afternoon. Yesterday I was doing things during the day so went on treadmill for 45 mins at 730pm . Felt ok afterwards. My reward came at 440am in the form of being woken by faster heartbeat, anxious, and widespread burning over my body that lasted over an hour. ( I used to get this every night 3 times. )

Recovering from a normal illness you can follow some kind of graded exercise program and progress in a linear fashion. Not so with WD.

Apparently cortisol peaks at 40 mins of exercise so going to limit walking to 40 mins for now and make it earlier in the day. And not every day. But as through the whole process it would be so helpful to have a map !

I have noticed that exercise /cortisol symptoms are a faster heartbeat , panic/anxiety, and burning.

Histamine symptoms are pounding palpitations, BP surges at same time with feeling pulse pounding to fingers and toes and head. Also at night.

Three and a half years off its frustrating to put it mildly. Does anyone know the best way forward ?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy