SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Exercise ... Do more, do less, do nothing? What worked for you?

Razzle

i love my exercise.

two years ago, i used to have panic attack every morning until my DBT therapist told me to start jogging.

this is what our ancestor used to do. they used to run in face of fear.

so i ran and ran . slowly at first and then i added millage. now i run every morning while my family is still asleep.

the day when i don't run, my anxiety lasts a long longer in the morning.

it also gives me confidence that i can endure physical discomfort.

so when i feel a sense of panic attack, i just tell myself "no big deal, it is just time for a run" - after 15minutes of running, my heart palpitation fades away.

i am also tapering valium with the lexapro and i notice that when i don't run several days in a row. my body starts to ache. i think the daily dose of endorphin helps ease the muscle pain that come with the benzo taper.

i am trying to add lifting now, see how it will go.

june 2014 to feb  2015- on xanax 0.25 to 1mg/day- then CT - jan 2016 - panic attack, went on 3.75mg remeron to sleep march 2016- CT remeron (because it caused me tinnitus)- deep depression, couldn't sleep because of  intrusive Tinnitus

april to june 2016- valium 4mg, xanax as needed, lunesta 3mg

june 2016 - valium 4mg, lexapro 10mg

oct 2016- valium 2mg, lexapro 10mg- hold

march 2017- started daily micro liquid taper of valium and lex- -taper speed 0.0033mg valium daily and 0.033mg lex daily

may 2018- valium 1mg, lexapro 2.4mg - i had to slow down the rate of my daily micro taper considerably

LAST dose of Lexapro: 0.05mg on 05/17/19

LAST dose of valium: 0.04mg on 08/18/19

April 26th 2020- intense panic attack that lasted 4 days, akatisia, 0 sleep- suicidal, almost hospitalized- took rescue doses over 2 days- total: 1.5mg xanax, 18mg valium, 2x5mg lexapro

3 hours ago, xyz said:

i love my exercise.

it's great you've found something that helps you!

I find it is really helping me to exercise but I wasn't able to do very much last summer while in active withdrawal. I wish I had tried yoga then but I pretty much just did walking, and not very strenuously. 

now I am up to 15 minutes a day of cardio and hope to increase: for about 2 weeks I had to make myself do it but now I am starting to enjoy doing it.

I plan to try very hard not to stop, again, as I have started and stopped many times before.🙄

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

I'm finding swimming helpful with the wound up feeling, it can be relaxing, also walking as well. It will be easier in the Spring perhaps when the flowers are out, and the dark days are passing. 

Fluoxetine 20mg a day, (mornings) Amitryptilline 10-50mg (evenings) for last two years (usually lowest dose of the latter) Previously on and off Fluoxetine since 1999. Off completely for pregnancies in 200s with no problems but recently more difficult to withdraw.End 2018 Tapered to 10mg Fluoxetine (am) and 10mg Amitryptilline (evening)Co-codomol 30/500 prescribed (one to two tabs 6 hrly as required for pain)

Start Jan 2019 5mg Fluoxetine mornings. Stopped amitryptilline.

6th Feb 2019 Stopped Fluoxetine, 2 X 425mg St Johns Wort daily. 

9th Feb 2019 Reinstated 5mg Prozac, stopped SJW due to headaches and upset tummy.

10th Feb 2019 Started using liquid diluted Prozac and syringe, dividing doses (2 X 2.5ml) = 5mg daily

12th Feb 2019 Stopped prozac after even small doses seem to be causing a bad reaction.

17th Feb 2019 Started taking single dose 425mg SJW mornings 

Also taking supplements: Multivitamin, Longvida Curcumin 500mg a day, Magnesium Citrate 500mg/day, Magnesium L-threonate 50mg/day, Omega 3 (with Vit E) 1000mg/day, Vitamin D3 20000IU

• Mentor

my therapist pushes aerobic exercise but I've tried it and it brings on a very sleepless night for me (and I only did a tiny bit of aerobic exercise, EARLY in the day!)

I tried again today (it's been a few months since my last attempt)
It will be interesting to see if it affects my sleep again.

everyone is unique, I think we need to figure out what works for us by trial and error.

I know for most of WD/recovery, I've felt best with a gentle daily walk, and since I don't drive, I can usually get that in most days lol

I keep reading about how good exercise is for brain health so it frustrates me that working out messes up my sleep. 😕

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

I'd like to hear how your sleep goes, Happy. I've reinstated some excercise at this point but I'm careful to not overdo it. If I do my anxiety goes up and sleep is very difficult.

September 2014 to July 2015 - 20 mg Lexapro, 30mg Mirtazipine

August 2015 to November 2016- 10mg Lexapro, 30 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2016 to Nov. 2017 - 10mg Lexapro, 3.75 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2017 to Mach 2018 - 5mg/2.5mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

Mach 2018 to Dec. 2018 - 0mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

• Mentor
14 hours ago, MRothbard said:

I'd like to hear how your sleep goes, Happy. I've reinstated some excercise at this point but I'm careful to not overdo it. If I do my anxiety goes up and sleep is very difficult.

ok here's my report after doing several short intervals of aerobic exercise early in the day yesterday:

Unfortunately, because of the past experience with exercise and insomnia, I went to bed with anxiety over what might happen, so I had a hard time falling asleep! this is a problem I haven't had much- For most of the past oh, 18mos  or more? I have had no trouble falling asleep- it's staying asleep that's been the issue. I can almost always fall asleep and sleep deeply for at least 90 mins, sometimes more, every night. After that, I wake up several times and have varying amnts of difficulty getting back to sleep. Overall, I get what I feel is enough sleep and don't generally feel tired during the day. 
So, I did eventually fall asleep but it took a couple of hours. Once asleep, the rest of my night was pretty typical.

Overall, I don't think the exercise was a major factor, I really think it was more my anxiety over how it *might* affect my sleep.

This is the main problem I have with tracking things like diet, exercise and sleep- if I am thinking about them and how things might go, I am more apt to get anxious about results.

But if I'm totally oblivious to how these factors affect how I feel, etc, I am not going to know what's helping and what isn't. Again, at least for me,  it seems to be a delicate balancing act.

I am finding this to be the case in many areas of my life.  :P

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

On 1/12/2019 at 6:06 AM, Happy2Heal said:

Overall, I don't think the exercise was a major factor, I really think it was more my anxiety over how it *might* affect my sleep.

I know exactly what you mean!  I had pretty bad insomnia awhile ago (I think this was my "10 month wave" or at least part of it) and was helped a lot by reading Quiet Your Mind and Get to Sleep.  but that is exactly what happens to me, I go to sleep just fine but when I wake up I sometimes can't get back to sleep and then I start worrying about that. I'm not back to what's passing for normal yet, which I think of as 8 to 8 1/2 hours like I used to sleep, but only get about 6 hours maximum. it's so much better though, I'm not complaining.

anyway, I understand how it is and I hope 

On 1/12/2019 at 6:06 AM, Happy2Heal said:

This is the main problem I have with tracking things like diet, exercise and sleep- if I am thinking about them and how things might go, I am more apt to get anxious about results.

But if I'm totally oblivious to how these factors affect how I feel, etc, I am not going to know what's helping and what isn't

life is complicated and too hard! 😊

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• Mentor
46 minutes ago, JackieDecides said:

I know exactly what you mean!  I had pretty bad insomnia awhile ago (I think this was my "10 month wave" or at least part of it) and was helped a lot by reading Quiet Your Mind and Get to Sleep.  but that is exactly what happens to me, I go to sleep just fine but when I wake up I sometimes can't get back to sleep and then I start worrying about that. I'm not back to what's passing for normal yet, which I think of as 8 to 8 1/2 hours like I used to sleep, but only get about 6 hours maximum. it's so much better though, I'm not complaining.

thanks for the recommendation, I'll see if I can get that book at the library. I understand it's a workbook format so they may not carry it, but after buying several books on insomnia, and getting very little help from most of them, I'm not eager to spend more money unless I know what's really in the book, lol

I really think I have ptsd from that full year (plus)of terrible insomnia, it wasn't really the not sleeping so much as the panic/terror/anxiety that I had during those hours I was awake. it's a long day when you only sleep for 90 mins from say 11 pm to 12:30 am and then spend the rest of the night in utter terror, listening to the same relaxation tapes over and over and over again. 

but I got thru it. now to deal with the lingering after effects, I guess.

I move the furniture around in my bedroom and will try sleeping in different places and that helps. Fewer memory triggers, you know? I think I would probably sleep fantastically in a new environment, but I can't afford an airBnB or hotel room and it's an odd request to make of friends or even family. "Can I sleep over tonight?" actually, 2 years ago almost to the day, I DID make that request of several friends and one family member, I was in such a dark n desperate place. One super kind young couple not only agreed, they drove all the way to my place to get me (they live about 30-45 mins away depending on traffic) I'll never forget that and what it meant to me. I did sleep a bit better there, too. 

54 minutes ago, JackieDecides said:

life is complicated and too hard! 😊

I know, right? hahaha some days it sure seems it.

Problem right now is with the cold weather and not being able to get out as much as I'd like, I'm bored and having trouble finding things to occupy my mind and fill my time when I'm home. One can only spend some much time on line or even reading. I used to sew but that doesn't interest me much any more.

I need to find new hobbies!

• Mentor
On 1/11/2019 at 6:39 PM, MRothbard said:

well here's how it's gone so far- aerobic exercise, even if very brief (I'm talking under 5 mins!!) and done early in the day (before 1pm) seems to affect my ability to get sleep.

And I'm over 14 mos "post zero" ADs

weird!
I was in a great mood yesterday and last night, went to bed without any anxiety or dread about not being able to sleep but I was wide awake til around 3:30 am.

The good news is, I didn't mind. and even better, I seem to have slept deeply once I fell asleep and didn't wake up til about 7:15 or so.

I don't feel at all sleep deprived.

the interesting thing is that my mood is definitely brighter than on days when I don't do much of anything physical, so I think I am going to continue to experiment with short bursts of aerobic exercise on good days and see how it goes.

Right now it would only be a problem if I couldn't sleep and really *needed* the sleep, or if say, it ramped up anxiety (which it did not)

Thanks.

September 2014 to July 2015 - 20 mg Lexapro, 30mg Mirtazipine

August 2015 to November 2016- 10mg Lexapro, 30 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2016 to Nov. 2017 - 10mg Lexapro, 3.75 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2017 to Mach 2018 - 5mg/2.5mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

Mach 2018 to Dec. 2018 - 0mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

After SSRI withdrawal, polypharmacy and benzos (still tapering) I have not been able to exercise a lot. I used to be a person who went to gym, liked to run and I loved all kinds of exercise. I had more muscle mass (now its basically gone) Those exercise hobbies have not been an option after I got insomnia during Lexapro wd few years ago. Insomnia and akathisia have been critical points, where my exercise intolerance started, then came the  exhaustion, fatigue... Recovering problems from exercise.. I have had a list of many many symptoms and it has been a struggle and my condition has some similarities with chronic fatigue syndrome but luckily I am able to do some things, not just lay in bed. When I was at my worst, I was so weak, I felt like I could not get from bed and go for a walk. It was after finally my akathisia started to stabilize. I felt like my motor skills were lost, probably because of the meds I used, because of all withdrawals and med changes I went through when already damaged with meds. I had also trauma from akathisia and I had a time when I had to spent a lot of time of the day of pacing around because I could not sit still. When akathisia subsided, it was difficult to start moving again. All exercise seemed and sensations in my legs seemed to just make my inner restlessness worse and make paresthesia inside my legs worse. My CNS did not like from exercise.

In one point when I finally started to stabilize (sleep improved and akathisia was better) and had just one med left, that I am still tapering, I started to feel a little bit better. I tried to change my diet, and started to eat really healthy. It took some time when I felt like I had a little bit more energy. It was really important to avoid things I am sensitive to and eat enough. I had lost a lot of weight despite I did eat.

Then I started to make little walks. They became a habit. It was important for me to go outside regularly. I just walked just a little. I noticed it made a positive difference and it has been really important to me, all my time I have spent tapering off benzos. I am sure it has helped me to recover even though I am far from recovered.

I was so motivated in that point, I tried to increase exercise gradually. Unfortunately my body and CNS did not like about it. I managed to increase exercise to some point, but then I got to vicious cycle of crashes. The more I exercised, the more broken my sleep was and I did not recover from exercise. I started to wake up to adrenal surges and feeling like crap during nights. I tried to exercise more, lifting small weights and so on. I noticed I dont tolerate weight training or too hard aerobic training.  I noticed that if I kept exercise in some level, I was stable and my sleep is better. A little bit of walking is really good for my sleep, Basically my exercise is some walking and some yoga movements, little bit of riding a bike during summer. If I do more I can handle, I crash. My sleep deteriorates, I start to feel increasing symptoms, heart palpitations, I start to feel like I cant breath, I feel wired but tired and relaxing is difficult, I start to have paresthesias and muscle issues and stiffness and pain . Also inner restlessness gets worse. During worst waves I am not able to get out of bed for days because I have so bad fatigue.

I have been in physiotherapy, and basically I was not able to do the exercises that were meant to help with back pain. Now I am in different kind of physiotherapy where I make basically relaxation techniques, some really gentle exercise and little yoga exercises and it has been beneficial for me. I would not be able to go to any exercise classes that last for an hour or so.

I have many times tried to increase exercise  when I have better days and finally just thought the same thoughts. It is not worth it. I have activity tracker and I basically know how much of walking and exercises are too much.  I hope in some point I am able to do more exercise but time for it is not now. When I notice I have done too much walking and so on, I cut exercising a little bit for some days. Listening to the body is important.

2005-2009 Lexapro 10-20mg & Remeron 7,5mg: cold turkey

2010 tried Venlafaxine (month),

2011-2012 Seroquel 25mg (few months)

2014 6 days Cipro(antibiotics) adverse reaction

2011-2015 Lexapro 10-20mg (tapered off during 4 months) 

2015-2016 (all these drugs during 9 months during SSRI wd,did not tolerate most of them ) : tried Remeron, Temazepam. Reinstatement of Lexapro 3 months after stopping it: fail. Akathisia, insomnia. Zyprexa10mg, Sodium Valproate, Temazepam(20mg), Oxazepam 30-45 mgs. Switching meds: Seroquel 50-100mg, Oxazepam  30-45mg , Temazepam 20mg. Then back to Zyprexa 10mg, Temazepam20mg, doctor took me off Oxazepam fast. Then Zyprexa 20mg, Temazepam 20mg, melatonin10mg ( sometimes very rarely Valium 10 mg.) Zyprexa: cold turkey because 20 mg Zyprexa made akathisia intolerable after every dose. After it insomnia, 24/7 akathisia, adverse reactions to supplements.

2016 spring daily  Valium 15mg (for akathisia)>0mg (used for 4 months and during that time slowly tapered off), tried Betablockers (shortly), Temazepam 40 mg > 25 mg (tapered in 3 months)

2016 summer Temazepam 25 mg > 20 mg, melatonin 2,5 mg

2016 november Melatonin 0,5 mg, Temazepam 20 mg.  Started tapering again.

2022 july (microtapering) 3,0 mg Temazepam Supplements: Probiotics, magnesium oil occasionally, melatonin 0,5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I do better with very mild exercise, mostly walking outside.  A few days ago, against my better judgment, I did a bunch of pushups and was rewarded with a surge of anxiety.  We in WD operate under a different set of rules from everybody else.

I read somewhere that a bit of exercise of the large leg muscles is helpful for sleep, so I do some gentle squats.  It does seem to help a bit.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Mentor
1 hour ago, Gridley said:

I read somewhere that a bit of exercise of the large leg muscles is helpful for sleep, so I do some gentle squats.  It does seem to help a bit.

that's interesting, I'll keep that in mind.

do you do these later in the day, near bedtime?
I have found that too much activity of any kind too close to bedtime can keep me awake. I need a relaxing routine at night.

at least now, in the summer it seems to be different, but I get out more and am usually more physically tired anyway.

In the winter I'm stuck indoors a lot and just don't do enough to tire myself out physically.

• Moderator Emeritus
12 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

that's interesting, I'll keep that in mind.

do you do these later in the day, near bedtime?

I do them about 5 pm, no later.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

well there's no doubt about it, anytime I do more than a few minutes of cardio type exercise, I have trouble falling asleep the same night

otherwise I feel better overall, so I don't understand why it's affecting my sleep pattern

normally I am barely able to stay awake much past 10 or 11 (I plan to be in bed by 11 at the latest)

but I did 5 mins of walking on a treadmill at 3.5 mph with a fairly steep incline

yes that's it! 5 mins!!!

and  I was wide awake til well after 3:30

pffffffffffft

It was around 10 am when I did the treadmill.

Maybe if I am able to push that to an earlier time, it won't keep me awake.......I don't know

walking on a treadmill or doing anything vigorous first thing in the morning doesn't appeal to me, at least not in the winter, hahaha

anyone else have this issue with exercise and sleep?

one good thing is that I believe I slept pretty well for those hours from 3:30ish til just before 7 am

I don't recall waking up at all, and normally I wake about every 2 hrs (usually need to use the bathroom)

Yes, I had this issue as well. There were 2 things that made a difference to be able to exercise and still sleep at night. One is starting very slowly ie. you might want to ditch the incline and even lower the speed. Secondly, I realized that for every increase in something stimulating whether it was exercise, starting a new job, watching tv or movies...I needed to add even more in the way of relaxation into my day. It could be sitting or walking meditation, resting a couple of times during the day, taking a magnesium bath, etc. Once things were balanced, I could gradually increase exercise and usually, add a bit more relaxation in. I found it was best to do the calming practices throughout the day...and not just wait til evening. It made me look at all the things that could potentially be stimulating to a compromised nervous system and I eliminated or cut back on ones that did not bring much reward (ie spending time with people I found difficult to be with or mindless TV). Hope that helps.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

12 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

one good thing is that I believe I slept pretty well for those hours from 3:30ish til just before 7 am

I don't recall waking up at all, and normally I wake about every 2 hrs

well, that's encouraging, anyway. I hope some of the suggestions freespirit gave you help, because I think exercise is so necessary. 

start much slower! no incline. 3 minutes?  good luck!

• 1 month later...

Is it normal to experience intense withdrawal while exercising?for example after i run headaches are intense, derealization is intense, also vertigo

Lorazepam -2 weeks-1 week 3 mg.4 days 2mg, 3 days 1mg. 13-27 November 2018

Lexapro -2 months-6 weeks of 10mg, 2 weeks of 5mg 27 November 2018-27 January 2019

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2011 at 8:06 PM, Altostrata said:

Just wanted to note about exercise:

Exercise can increase the release of cortisol, the stress and alerting hormone. Exertion may well make you feel lousy.

Walking is the form of exercise that least causes increases in cortisol. But if you do it strenuously and in the evening, you may well wake yourself up with some alerting hormone.

So don't overdo it, especially in the evening.

Okay, that answers my question ! My anxiety has been lots worse lately.

I have been back swimming about 1/3 mile in laps twice a week. 

Also doubled my b vitamins last week. Just in case, thought I would check the exercise.

(Also read the b vitamin discussion) Stopped b’s until further notice to see.

Hope it has been the b vitamins. 

Sure feels great to get out in the sunshine and swim again!🏊‍♀️

Thanks, Altostrata. Hope you’re doing well.

This is the best of my recollection.

20 mg Prozac 3-4 days per week from 1994 until May 2018.

Beginning May 15 I began to drop doses. 

I dropped 1 dose per week for the next 4 weeks.

It was not systematic at all. I don't have which days I took what.

so the week of May 13 I took 4 doses, which was pretty normal for me.

Then the week of May 20 I took 3 doses 20 mg.

The week of May 27 I took 3 doses 20 mg.

The 1st week in June l took 2 doses 20 mg.

The week of June 10, 2018 was my last dose 20 mg.

I had been on Prozac only for over 20 years.  No other medications.

Hello group, I wanted to get some general feedback on activity levels during tapering. I did a 7% drop on my clonazepam on March 4th, I typically lift weights 3-4 times per week but recognized after a week it was causing some unpleasant symptoms so I stopped and went to walking which went ok for about 3-4 weeks then symptoms worsened. When I say symptoms its been significant headaches, central nervous overactivity, pins and needles primarily in my back, higher anxiety, malaise and difficulty focusing or concentrating. I have walked a handful of times in the last 4 weeks usually with a negative reaction in my system. I am working at a home office but I'm working so is it best to just stay as inactive as possible until I balance out. Any suggestions? Thanks

February 3rd 2021 1.5 mg Clonazepam

13.4 mg Nortriptylene

doing a water taper on the Nortriptylene but have been holding due to adverse nervous system activation

supplements 200mg Magnesium carbonate, good quality fish oil, vitamin E 400IU, B6 B12 Folate one every 2-3 days. 

On 4/29/2019 at 1:09 PM, Tweet said:

Okay, that answers my question ! My anxiety has been lots worse lately.

I have been back swimming about 1/3 mile in laps twice a week. 

Also doubled my b vitamins last week. Just in case, thought I would check the exercise.

(Also read the b vitamin discussion) Stopped b’s until further notice to see.

Hope it has been the b vitamins. 

Sure feels great to get out in the sunshine and swim again!🏊‍♀️

Thanks, Altostrata. Hope you’re doing well.

Okay, here is my report after another week of exercise. The pluses outweigh the minuses. I am swimming laps for 45 min. Twice a week. Other days mild walking, stretching. The initial anxiety has subsided. I will continue to swim and walk. I just feel so much better after that good cardio workout!

• 2 weeks later...

Exercise is a huge part of my life.  Not only do I enjoy it, it is my job and it is one I am very passionate about.  I am finally able to tolerate lifting again and higher intensity workouts as long as I am not in a wave.  I can tell immediately if I am overloading my CNS.    If I am in a wave, the most I do is Yin type yoga in the sauna to relax, work on my mobility, and to hopefully drop down deeper into a parasympathetic state after the sauna.  When the waves are bad I use vibration technology to help muscle stiffness and pain that comes with the waves and just rest.  I do listen to my body, but I also challenge it when I am feeling well enough to do so.  If I were not as physically and mentally strong as I was at the beginning I would never have made it through this far.  Now I realize a wave is going to hit regardless of what I do so I just enjoy the windows until they are gone.  My last window lasted 2 weeks and I was able to workout the entire time.

2002-2008 On and off Effexor XR 75mg 

2010 Effexor XR 75mg Trazadone 150mg

2012 Abilify 5mg and Buspar added increased Effexor XR 150mg quick taper after 6 months due to pregnancy.

2014 Reinstate Effexor XR 75mg increase to 150mg, 150mg Trazadone, Buspar, Abilify 5mg. Quick taper after about 1 year from Effexor, Abilify, and Buspar.

2018 Trazadone taper over 1 month

2018 Attempted Effexor reinstatement due to digestive distress 37.5 mg.  Failed 2xs after 4 days.  Gastro preacribed Elavil 2 weeks later.  Failed after 2 days.  3 days later full withdrawl.

12 hours ago, eboyd said:

Exercise is a huge part of my life.  Not only do I enjoy it, it is my job and it is one I am very passionate about.  I am finally able to tolerate lifting again and higher intensity workouts as long as I am not in a wave.  I can tell immediately if I am overloading my CNS.    If I am in a wave, the most I do is Yin type yoga in the sauna to relax, work on my mobility, and to hopefully drop down deeper into a parasympathetic state after the sauna.  When the waves are bad I use vibration technology to help muscle stiffness and pain that comes with the waves and just rest.  I do listen to my body, but I also challenge it when I am feeling well enough to do so.  If I were not as physically and mentally strong as I was at the beginning I would never have made it through this far.  Now I realize a wave is going to hit regardless of what I do so I just enjoy the windows until they are gone.  My last window lasted 2 weeks and I was able to workout the entire time.

Good for you, keeping up with the exercise. It is one small area where we can have some control over things and feel somewhat empowered, even if we do have to work around those waves. I think it helps my mind to clear, as well. Sometimes I actually cry in my goggles as I swim, but most often I feel SO much better after getting that heart rate up. 

That sauna idea has got me thinking now.....🙂

Just FYI still swimming vigorous laps 2 times a week.

Yes, the anxiety is a bit worse but hard to tell whether it is the swimming or just the lovely paws symptoms.

And the extra b vitamins WERE irritating the anxiety. 

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Tweet said:

That sauna idea has got me thinking now.

SA's discussion:  sauna

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

Can someone who went cold Turkey give me some rough estimate on when would my body will be able to tolerate physical activity?

CIPRALEX 10MG(M) TAB (Escitalopram): 29/01/2014-08/05/2016
VIEPAX 37.5MG TAB (Venlafaxine): 08/05/2016-26/06/2016
PRIZMA TAB (Fluoxetine Hydrochloride): 26/06/2016-18/08/2016
ELATROL 25MG TAB (Amitriptyline Hydrochloride): 18/08/2016-05/01/2017
WELLBUTRIN XR 150MG (M) TAB (Bupropion-Wellbutrin): 05/01/2017-16/01/2017
WELLBUTRIN XR 300MG (M) TAB (Bupropion-Wellbutrin): 16/01/2017-05/2018
SERTRALINE TEVA 50MG TAB (Sertraline): 29/05/2017-
SERENADA 50 MG TAB (Sertraline): 03/07/2017-16/07/2018
ARIPLY 5MG<><>(28) TAB (Aripiprazole): 17/06/2018-24/06/2018
BRINTELLIX (M) 10MG TAB 28 (Vortioxetine): 24/06/2018-16/07/2018
CLONEX 0.5 MG TAB (Clonazepam): 29/05/2017-16/07/2018 when needed not constant

May 2018 cold turkey: SERENADA 50 MG TAB, WELLBUTRIN XR 300MG TAB, SERTRALINE TEVA 100 MG TAB. June 2018 - partial reinstatement: ARIPLY 5 MG TAB, BRINTELLIX 10 MG TAB, SERENADA 50 MG TAB. July 16 2018 - cold turkey again. October 4 2018 - reinstatement: SERTRALINE TEVA ~ 0-25 MG TAB Overall: 29/01/14 - 16/07/18 + 27 days >>>> 4 years, 6 months, 1 week, 6 days, 8 hours, 40 minutes. 

Hi. I went cold turkey starting May-June 2018. My only drug was Prozac.

I have continued walking and calisthenics throughout my withdrawal. In about March I  began vigorous lap swimming twice weekly. 20 laps per session. Felt so good!

It ramped up the anxiety for the next 6 weeks, but overall I knew it was helping me so I did not give in.

Now, here in July it is a big stress-reliever and mood elevator, so there is no stopping now. I feel like it is part of why I am improving at a more rapid pace.

I do it in the morning partially because mornings are still hell  and it gets me out of that.

Looks like you have been through alot of your own hell already but never forget it can be done. 

I have been trying more group type exercise, too, so I can feel normal for awhile yet still duck out of I am having a hard time.

(Haven't ducked out yet but it's nice to know that I can!😉)

Start slow and don't overdo.

You are coming off meds I have no experience with.

Big waves to you and I pray for the peace of Israel.

Also, Noah Elkrief videos on YouTube helped me and still help me with anxiety and panic attacks.

It took months before I could even start exercising again.  I love to lift, but even a light barbell was overloading my CNS.  You really have to listen to your body.  You might only be able to tolerate Yin yoga right now which is okay because you are doing something good for your body and you are focusing on breathing and staying calm and relaxed.  Even light aerobic activity periodically throughout the day will be beneficial.  It really takes time and a lot of patience.  Support is also great because sometimes it feels hopeless, but it isn't.  

2012 Abilify 5mg and Buspar added increased Effexor XR 150mg quick taper after 6 months due to pregnancy.

2014 Reinstate Effexor XR 75mg increase to 150mg, 150mg Trazadone, Buspar, Abilify 5mg. Quick taper after about 1 year from Effexor, Abilify, and Buspar.

2018 Attempted Effexor reinstatement due to digestive distress 37.5 mg.  Failed 2xs after 4 days.  Gastro preacribed Elavil 2 weeks later.  Failed after 2 days.  3 days later full withdrawl.

2 hours ago, Tweet said:

Hi. I went cold turkey starting May-June 2018. My only drug was Prozac.

I have continued walking and calisthenics throughout my withdrawal. In about March I  began vigorous lap swimming twice weekly. 20 laps per session. Felt so good!

It ramped up the anxiety for the next 6 weeks, but overall I knew it was helping me so I did not give in.

Now, here in July it is a big stress-reliever and mood elevator, so there is no stopping now. I feel like it is part of why I am improving at a more rapid pace.

I do it in the morning partially because mornings are still hell  and it gets me out of that.

Looks like you have been through alot of your own hell already but never forget it can be done. 

I have been trying more group type exercise, too, so I can feel normal for awhile yet still duck out of I am having a hard time.

(Haven't ducked out yet but it's nice to know that I can!😉)

Start slow and don't overdo.

You are coming off meds I have no experience with.

Big waves to you and I pray for the peace of Israel.

Thank you,  but it really frustrating because my body wants me to exercise so bad by my cns is so fragile and delicate I just want to go all in and just go for a long run, it feels like I'm on a brink of a heart attack from been inactive, but it's just ruin my ability to sleep even doing minor physical stuff...

May 2018 cold turkey: SERENADA 50 MG TAB, WELLBUTRIN XR 300MG TAB, SERTRALINE TEVA 100 MG TAB. June 2018 - partial reinstatement: ARIPLY 5 MG TAB, BRINTELLIX 10 MG TAB, SERENADA 50 MG TAB. July 16 2018 - cold turkey again. October 4 2018 - reinstatement: SERTRALINE TEVA ~ 0-25 MG TAB Overall: 29/01/14 - 16/07/18 + 27 days >>>> 4 years, 6 months, 1 week, 6 days, 8 hours, 40 minutes. 

2 hours ago, eboyd said:

It took months before I could even start exercising again.  I love to lift, but even a light barbell was overloading my CNS.  You really have to listen to your body.  You might only be able to tolerate Yin yoga right now which is okay because you are doing something good for your body and you are focusing on breathing and staying calm and relaxed.  Even light aerobic activity periodically throughout the day will be beneficial.  It really takes time and a lot of patience.  Support is also great because sometimes it feels hopeless, but it isn't.  

Did you find it hard to sleep from being inactive, it's really scary as It feels I'm gonna die been inactive like that.

I had insomnia no matter what I did.  Sometimes I would overdo my workout and that would cause insomnia too.  These days, insomnia is rare.  So that is nice.

• 9 months later...

Exercise intolerance

does anyone feel physically sick after doing exercise? even a long walk can cause me flu like symptoms

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Prozac january 2010 to  october 2016 dose started at 10mg and went up to 80mg

welbutrin october 2014 to october 2016 dose up to 400mg

effexor october 2015 to march 2016 150mg

geodon january 2016 to july 2016 80mg

i did a rapid taper off everything in 8 months time span from march 2016 to october 2016

drug free for 2 years and 7 months

Yes absolutely. It is better than it used to be, but at my worst, I would walk across the house and just that would make me feel ill... weak, disoriented, flushed, anxious, dp/dr, tremory, etc. Any kind of weight lifting or exercise is out of the question atm.. and prob for the coming months for me.

Took Accutane in 2007 at age 19 and a severe reaction to it threw me into Psychiatry's dirty hands. Suffered through a number of c/t's, rapid tapers, drug switches, reinstatements before finally figuring out what was happening to me in 2012 after checking out of psych hospital with a prescription for Ativan and Prozac. (Went in because was unknowingly in Xanax c/t wd and dying at the time from it).

May 2016 - Last dose of Valium after 2 year long taper from 15mg

June 2017- Last dose of the corticosteroid Hydrocortisone after taper

July 2019- Last dose of Prozac after 2 year long taper from 30mg

Was on Accutane, Lexapro, Celexa, Xanax, Ativan, Prozac, Hydrocorisone, Valium, and thyroid meds when none of them were needed. Still recovering to this day and hope to be healed in the coming months, but taking it one day at a time.

• Mentor

Hi baquejohn and Alaskan Glacier. I wonder if you can share your experiences with me. I was on Zoloft for 2 years and did a FT over 1 month from 25mg (already a low dose) to 0mg with November 2018 being my first month at 0. I spent a year getting through the week at work, feeling tired in the evenings and at the weekend I'd regularly get Insomnia and crash out on a Sunday. Not much changed over the year. In November 2019 this changed. I started getting really harsh waves that would last 2-3 weeks but then improved windows. I also noticed that my waves were different, I've had a Nausea wave, a feeling dizzy wave, a gastric wave, a muscle spasm wave and most recently a losing my voice wave. This last week I felt really good and did a half marathon for the first time and now I have flu like symptoms and Insomnia - this is how I picked up your thread.

It's frustrating as my windows are improving and I get the feeling I'm getting close to the end of this journey as the windows are brighter and the waves less intense and shorter, only to get hit with another wave with different symptoms. 

Did you see anything similar in your recovery and any tips to manage. I take Omega 3 and L-Casei yoghurt drinks, but otherwise have a pretty regular diet. I normally exercise 2-3 times a week for an hour (moderate Cardio), so this half marathon is unusual. When I can't sleep (1-2x per week) I have a Tylenol and small spirit drink and read and it normally does the trick, but I'd rather just get a full nights sleep. 

I guess you'll tell me to cut down the exercise intensity, but any other suggestions?

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

You were only taking 25mg? that is very low dose. I'm surprized your withdrawal is taking this long. I'm sorry but i have no advice. I'm in hell truely don'y know what to say

Prozac january 2010 to  october 2016 dose started at 10mg and went up to 80mg

welbutrin october 2014 to october 2016 dose up to 400mg

effexor october 2015 to march 2016 150mg

geodon january 2016 to july 2016 80mg

i did a rapid taper off everything in 8 months time span from march 2016 to october 2016

drug free for 2 years and 7 months

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy