SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

hardy86: Severe fatigue 24/7 Mirtazapine hell

hardy86

Hardy,

I have had many ups and downs, well mostly downs with mirtazapine while on it and now while decreasing it. I was splitting and cutting still feeling sick mostly every day. Non functioning as in sick as hell. I thought maybe my splitting pills isn't as accurate as it needs to be so...

I bought a 50 ml graduated cylinder. I fill to 30 ml with water because I am using a 30 mg pill. I LOVE THIS THING! I disolve the pill in 30 ml, stir like crazy with a straw. I put my finger on the straw and remove 5 ml. I drink 25 mg.

213I11 Karter Scientific 50ml Glass Graduated Cylinder, Single Metric Scale

People do talk about this extensively in the tapering section but I know firsthand how difficult it is to read and understand. I learned the straw technique there. I reread many of these pages over and over often not remembering that I did read them. It's tough when a person feels sick. I hope you feel better soon.

Do you get outside at all? I find at LEAST 10 minutes in the sun preferably walking is a critical factor in my overall well being. I am convinced I would not heal at all without doing that.

Hope this helps,

Leahy

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hardy86

• SquirrellyGirl

• leahy

• AliG

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I think perhaps you've hit the nail on the head Hardy . . . at this low dose you need to be more accurate

with measuring.   The fact that you were feeling stable before is a a good indicator that you'll get stable again

once your brain and body catches up with the changes in the last 2 months.

I had long periods of feeling like death-warmed-up , months at a time.     I didn't realize that this was

partly because I varied the timing of my morning dose so much.  I'd take it anywhere between 8am and 2pm ,

didn't think it made a difference.

I understand now how much this disrupted my system , I kept myself in a bit of w/d by accident.

We learn as we go , no need to give yourself a hard time.  Just work on what to do from here.

The graduated cylinder sounds cool , I wonder if they have 10ml ones?    

Or , dissolve your 10mg tablet in 10mg water, and use a syringe to draw up 5.5mg.    

Read the Tips for Tapering thread to see what others are doing.

And give yourself a good long stretch to get better before even thinking about reducing your dose.

I've come down from 50mg to 25mg pristiq.   My last drop was too big (5mg) and I suffered for it (lol).

No more big cuts for me.  Lesson learned.

I've been on 25mg for about 8 weeks now , and am staying on that till the new year.  I want to stay

feeling good , and a good long hold is good for our systems.

The thing is , it doesn't matter if it takes longer till we're off all meds.  The point is to be well as we come off slowly.

It's not the case that after stopping there's a huge withdrawal . . . the w/d is happening as you go down.

You're going to be okay Hardy . . . but get onto how to measure your dose accurately asap.

You might be surprised how much better you feel with consistent doses.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

They do have 10 ml cylinders but I think Hardy has 15 mg tablets. It's easier for me to have 1 ml = 1 mg.

Each ml will equal 1 mg - easier to measure.

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

Hi fresh

Thank you for answering my question. Your advice means a lot me. It is so hard cause the depression just kills you and constant 24/7 and it just doesn't stop and you don't see any hope cause of the pain. But thanks for reassuring me I can be stable again. I hope you are getting better each day I send all my love and care.

Thanks

Currently suffer extreme CFS, Lyme, adrenal fatigue, bad gut issues, reaction bad to mold basically etc home a lot. Can hardly walk all I get crash easily. 
I’m currently on mirtizapine 1.7mg and Reboxetine 0.4mg. I did a cut on reboxetine on the 19/4/20 around 11%. 
Also taking Ativan since January 2mg. 

Hi leahy

Yes I do make it a religion to get full sun exposure everyday at least 5min a day or 10min sometime. But been hard lately cause been so fatigue. I

Need to learn how to do liquid as I'm new and haven't started yet. U need to learn. So what I understand is your on 25mg mirt. I hope u get better leahy I feel for you and understand your pain.

Thanks

Currently suffer extreme CFS, Lyme, adrenal fatigue, bad gut issues, reaction bad to mold basically etc home a lot. Can hardly walk all I get crash easily. 
I’m currently on mirtizapine 1.7mg and Reboxetine 0.4mg. I did a cut on reboxetine on the 19/4/20 around 11%. 

• Moderator Emeritus

What amount of milligrams are your mirtazapine tabs Hardy?

Have you worked out the easiest way for you to get your dose accurate?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi fresh

My meds are 30mg tablets. And break it in half to 15mg then cut of 5.5mg of 15mg tablets.

Thanks fresh

• Moderator Emeritus

Goodo.  Like leahy said , it's easiest to make a mix of 15mls water to 15mg of tablet. , so you draw up

1ml of solution for each mg of mirt.

Buy a 10mg oral syringe at a chemist . . . one without a needle in the top.

Let us know how you go bud.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi fresh

Thanks a lot so I assume I wil be using more tablets this way correct.

Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Probably a bit more.    

If your solution is 15 mls to 15 grams , each batch will cover 2 doses (total 11mg).

Dispose of the rest in the trash , not down the sink.

Do you get them subsidized?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi everyone

Thought I'll ask important question. My depression has been like 9/10 that bad lately. I don't know where I should turn if I go to doctors they will say stop my 2 current a/d drugs over a few weeks and start me on another a/d or continue mirt and start another a/d think most likely. My pain is that bad I'm crying and need urgent help.

Well thought I type this in just finished a doctor visit and he suggested to me I go down to 2.5mg mirt and take Valium to help with withdrawal. I see this as a nightmare. Just pain is that bad. The last 3 weeks I have never had this symptom in 1.8 months of bad tiredness. Usually I can force myself to the gym and feel good now I go and feel no relief tired tired. Hope this tiredness passed soon.

Thanks

Hi fresh

No I don't get them subsidised.

Thanks for your great help fresh.

Hope your well.

Cheers

Hi fresh

Hope your well.

Cheers

Hi fresh

Hope your well.

Cheers

Hi Hardy86, my heart goes out to you. And your partner is expecting another baby soon if I am right? That must be putting a lot of pressure on you too, trying to get well to support her and the new baby. Am I right in saying that you are currently on 5.5mg of Mirtazapine and your doctor wants to reduce that down to 2.5mg plus put you on valium? I guess he is hoping that the valium will be enough to sustain you during the withdrawal. I can only speak from my own personal experience with Benzo's (I was on Lorazepam) They seem to work very well initially but then after about four weeks they seem to be less effective and you need to take a higher dose in order to get the same benefit. Plus they are very addictive and difficult to wean from. It took me almost twelve months to wean off Lorazepam and it was not easy. 

There is no magic cure for depression and anxiety. It seems like you are in a bad spot right now. I have been reading a lot about CES therapy and although I don't claim that it is a cure I wonder if it would be something that you could look in to. Here is a link to the thread on the topic here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4829-alpha-stim-fisher-wallace-sota-biotuner-pons-and-similar-devices/page-1Itmight be worthwhile looking at. From what I have read a lot of people to seem to get relief from it but there are many others that don't. I have not tried CES myself but am currently looking in to it as a possible treatment to help my own anxiety. Like I said, I am no expert and I certainly do not have medical knowledge so please take my suggestion with a pinch of salt. Have a look online too as there are many articles about it and lots of testimonies. 

http://altered-states.net/barry/newsletter333/index.htm

Take care, please look after yourself, I am praying for you xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hardy ,   CES has worked for me. The article above (thanks starburst) is a bit complicated , but this is the results section:

"Based on a survey of Alpha-Stim CES users from 2007-2011, there were an estimated 8,248,920 Alpha-Stim® CES treatments. 

Reported side effects were all mild and self-limiting; consisting of headache, dizziness and skin irritation at the electrode site. From all sources (EPI survey and the scientific literature) side effects were ≤ 1% with no serious side effects reported during the 31 years that CES has been on the market.4 Double-blind sham controlled randomized clinical trials using valid and reliable measurement scales have shown that CES significantly decreases anxiety,5-8 insomnia9-10 and depression.11-12 Open clinical studies have confirmed that CES decreases symptoms associated with PTSD.13 Cohen’s d effect sizes for anxiety ranged from d = -0.60 (medium) to d = -1.53 (very high).5,7-8,12 Reported Cohen’s d effect size for depression is d = -0.4112 (small) while effect sizes for insomnia are d=0.309 (small) and d=0.5410 (medium)."

Here's what I've been wondering:  how did you get a dose of 5.5 or 4.5mg?   Were you using a digital scale?

I suspect that if you were estimating the dose by chipping bits off , your dose has been probably been going up and down between 4 and 6 mg for weeks.

You must have consistent doses.

This depression WILL pass Hardy , your job is to sit it out.

Is it possible to register for sickness benefit so that you get a health care card?  Whereabouts do you live?

(I'd be inclined to stick with the program here and reassess after 2 weeks of consistent doses ,

rather than drop to 2.5 and add a benzo.)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi starburst

Yeah I'm on 5.5mg using a digital scale.

And yes doctor wants to do what u said but I don't agree. I will read further into the ces. Thank you for the kind support. Yeah baby in the way 5 months pregnant. Have u ever had bad fatigue? Any idea what this might be come from no where never had this before even bad depression anxiety I can exercise this 1.8 years and feel good after. Did most blood test and one some today for viruses to make sure. Makes the depression worst cause no energy weak. Had for 3 weeks was good for 3

Days then come back. Pray this goes to hit the gym again. I love gym that much I think the worst cause gym makes me feel better than taking a benzo. Hope this passes soon maybe just a virus I was thinking.

Hope your well starburst. Your a kind person.

Hi fresh

Using a digital scale. I will look into ces more as not sure still how to go about it all if I wanna try this. Hope u a having a good day fresh u deserve all the best as u give people kind support.

Hi fresh

I've been on same dose 5.5mg for the last 2.5 months and waiting and hope to settle since it all went to hell when I tried to drop to much almost 20%. But out of no where got this bad bad fatigue. You think it's mirt related? Cause first time I have ever been so fatigue and weak last 3 weeks. Come good 3 days then back again. Makes depression worst as there limited energy already. You ever had this?

I live in a place called darwin located in Australia. Where are u from?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes ,  I think for sure it's mirt related.    It's all gone to pot since your too-big cut.

The main thing is that you're back on the right track now.  It may take another month or even two ,

but your energy will come back.

Many people find that too much exercise aggravates them and leaves them more worn out , so

maybe go slow and don't push your body too hard.

If your doc. wants to go changing your meds. etc , he must agree that you're sick.  

Ask for his assistance (medical certificate for Centrelink) to get a health care card - all your scripts

are subsidized and cost about $5:90.

I'm in Sydney Hardy ...  it's always nice to touch base with other Aussies on here.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi fresh

It's just hard to believe this tiredness can be mirt related cause I did the increase 2.5 moths ago and stayed at 5.5 and tiredness was never a problem just now.

I Have never had this problem ever. Even at my worst worst stages if depression. Hope it passes soon. It's crazy that months later 1 mistake can take so long to settle or not sure if I ever will again. But I will keep at it. How have you been fresh? Feeling ok? What dose are you at? Did this drug ever work for you or just made you worst in the long run like myself hell.

Cheers

Hi fresh

Just read over again I did see you are taking pris ssri. So another a/d

Hi everyone

What can help with bad bad fatigue. Might be a silly question I know and I understand red-bull can make anxiety worst. But really need a lift guys. Has anyone used energy drinks to help them here and there. Tiredness just makes the depression worst.

Cheers

So sorry you are feeling poorly, Hardy. I have read many times other people suffering with fatigue especially on the lower doses of mitazapine. I know that's not encouraging.

The only thing that helps my fatigue is walking outside in the sun for at least 3 miles. I try to walk 10,000 steps. I even wear a fitbit to track walking and my sleep. I do not LIKE WALKING outside. I'd rather not get out there and walk but it does make a huge difference in how I feel physically and mentally so I force myself.

I have not walked in 4 days because of my achilles tendon problem and I can feel the difference. I feel depression creeping back in. I finally broke down and ordered a sunlamp just in case it helps. Last night I slept 10 and a half hours. Good news is that I slept but that's a lot of sleeping. I have been feeling very fatigued and in a low mood.

It sure is discouraging to think how long I have to go down on mirtazapine and fight all these battles. That though alone is fatiguing.

But we have to do SOMETHING to help us along every inch of the way. We all know it's not easy.

Leahy

• Moderator Emeritus

It sure is discouraging to think how long I have to go down on mirtazapine and fight all these battles. That though alone is fatiguing.

But we have to do SOMETHING to help us along every inch of the way. We all know it's not easy.

Leahy

Sorry you are feeling low, Leahy.  Wow, you have come down a long way on the mirt, from 90 mg - what a great accomplishment!  I am at 17 mg, myself, and worried about going into the lower doses where people start to have real difficulty with symptoms.  It is difficult to be patient but I know that going faster would be disastrous.  Between a rock and a hard place, for sure!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi leahy

Hope u are feeling well today. Thank you for yr kind support means the a lot. What else syptoms do you get and how bad was your depression? Have you had bad periods that latest months?

Thanks

Hi leahy

Did you do cbt? I'm not sure if this will help me as I'm not stable yet. I have done a few lessons learnt breathing. Thats the most I've learnt. What else do you do to cope?

Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

If you have a little red envelope at the top right of the screen , it means you have a message waiting.  

I'm not sure if you can see this on a phone.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi fresh

No I can't see red envelope on my iPhone 5.

Hope yr well fresh

Hi everyone

I have a very important question my scale has been playing up a while and notice it weighs different measurements all the time ranging from around .5 difference each time. I have order a better scale as recommend by someone on this forum. Can this little dose be a impact on me in settling as I still haven't. I have tried to dissolve my tablet in water and doesn't work. Current dose is 5.5mg.

Cheers

Hardy,

I read some of TJ Nelson's blogs about how he fights his depression. I learned a lot from him. Everything he talks about is also written here but I read everything I could, everywhere I could. Very often I had difficulty retaining information so I read over and over. Much of it did not go in my brain the first time. I would forget a lot. When I felt sick and was in the house all day and night the only thing I could do was read. Desperately looking for help/solutions.

The sun and mild exercise, for example, starts a bunch of chemical reactions in our bodies for good health, good mood, good sleeping. It's more than "Oh gee, it's so nice outside." He's the one who said to me "You can go out in the sun for 5 minutes. Try something to help yourself. Just one thing. But try." 

Having good gut health is another important tip. There is a great deal written here about that also. Good food is a key factor even though we don't want to got to the store or cook. I make green smoothies which I have grown to actually enjoy. It's good way to get vitamins and minerals into my body that we need. My favorite is kale, spinach, ginger, apple, water, ice. Maybe cucumber if I have it. Maybe honey to sweeten it a bit. Then blend. I use the nutribullet. I think a blender would work as well. 

And sleep is the biggest factor for me. Bad sleep, bad day. Good sleep, good day. I am only beginning now to sleep better. I'm not sure why but I am relieved and grateful. I take Calms Forte for sleep. I'm not sure that's the reason I'm doing better but maybe it is. 

I also make my own liquid remeron and am able to measure more precisely. Maybe that's why I feel better now. 

L

Hi leahy

Sounds really good to hear u have done lots of things for you to improve. Well done. I wanna do liquid with mine and tried dissolving tablet in water but they didn't dissovle. Not sure another way can be done.

Thanks

Hi everyone

My tablets mitrtizpine ( aspen) don't dissolve in water. Hopefull has suggested using soltab mirt I think this was a different brand. I'm not sure if my body might freak out if I change different brand.

Can I continue using scale if it is accurate? But I understand liquid is better but still can't work it out as again my tablets won't dissolve in water. And not sure if I can get the brand soltab mirt in Australia.

Thanks

Hardy,

This might help .

What if my medication is "insoluble" in water?
About solubility or insolubility, our esteemed member Rhi, who has lab experience, has made many, many homemade liquids: 

Rhiannon, on 28 Feb 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:snapback.png

.... I just wanted to toss in my usual bit on the subject of making preparations for liquid tapering, which is: I personally don't worry about solubility.

None of the meds I'm tapering are actually soluble in water. But the pills dissolve into small enough particles that I can stir them up and keep them suspended in water while I measure them out, and that seems to work for me. I stir well before I measure, I stir a little while pipetting them up; I dissolve the pills in glass and pipette out of glass so that I can see visually how evenly everything is suspended, and that's good enough for me.

I use water as a medium because I like it that I can easily see for myself how evenly the little particles are suspended or if they seem to be settling out. Also because it's handy and cheap and I don't have to carry it with me if I travel.

Mostly I would just say, I don't think it really matters if the medication is soluble in whatever vehicle you're using, as long as it can be evenly distributed. What really matters is that it be evenly distributed and that your method be repeatable and consistent.

Just a thought.  Maybe worth a go.

Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Great post Ali.

You're right Hardy , changing brands has the risk of upsetting things.  But you do need to find a 

precise way of doing this as you move forward.

If your scales are even a bit out , it means your dose has been jumping around a bit , which helps

explain the past 2 months.   Not to worry , you're onto it now.

Hopefull is from Melbourne , so the soltabs are available here in Oz.  

Dalsaan has her dose compounded (see previous page) , which takes the fuss out of it , but costs

around $20 a month (if you get a 6 month supply).

If your doc. wants to go changing your meds. etc , he must agree that you're sick.  

Ask for his assistance (medical certificate for Centrelink) to get a health care card - all your scripts

are subsidized and cost about $5:90.

Is this worth pursuing?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg