JayUT: my story - a multi-faceted problem

JayUT

Hello All,

I have been visiting this website for many months now as a tapered off Zoloft. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site which is so helpful. Thank you.

As for my story....

Hopefully you can see my synopsis in the signature below. The difficulty is wrestling with Adrenal Insufficiency, Chronic EBV, and Zoloft withdrawal symptoms at the same time. The advice for tackling each one can be well aligned, confusing, and conflicting all at the same time. I hope to get some advice from this wonderful community. Sleep, rest, and supplements seem to be the prevailing recommendation for dealing with CEBV; however, Zoloft withdrawal seems to be causing me sleep issues. Also, I am unclear which, if any, supplement sensitivity issues I have at this time.

Additionally, we decided to taper-off Zoloft in May 2015, because we thought that my only remaining symptoms, fatigue and low libido, may be a side effect of the Zoloft. In hind-sight, it may have been due to the undiagnosed Chronic EBV. It seems so difficult to know.

Also, I have been placed on TACD Doxepin 10mg on Dec 3, 2015 with option to move up to 30mg for headaches and sleep issues. We hope that relieving poor sleep and headache issues can help reduce the other symptoms.

Any other thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated.

Current supplements and meds: 

Probiotic - Breakfast

Multi-Vitamin with methyl B-Complex - Breakfast

Fish-Oil 2000 mg – Breakfast and Dinner

Vitamin E 200 IU - Breakfast and Dinner

Vitamin D 2000 IU - Breakfast

Ortho Adren-All 1 pill – Breakfast and Lunch

Magnesium 80 mg / Calcium 80 mg – Lunch and Dinner

Vitamin C 500mg – Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner

Bentonite Clay and Activated Charcoal – 10 AM and 3 PM

Doxepin 10 mg - Bedtime 

2006-2013: Amitriptyline 25mg QD at bedtime.

Oct 2014: Clonazepam 0.5mg at night for sleep. Gabapentin 600mg x2 daily for pain.

Dec 2014: CT Clonazepam & Gabapentin on doctor’s instruction, because it wasn't helping symptoms. Caused severe depression, anxiety, panic attacks. ER due to 3 days of no sleep. ER administered Lorazepam IV.

Dec 2014: Lorazepam - 0.250mg AM,  0.125mg PM, 0.250mg Beftime; Zoloft - 50mg

Feb 15 - March 11, 2015: Tapered Lorazepam at 0.125 mg ever 5 days. Too fast and very difficult.

June 1 - Oct 12, 2015: Tapered Zoloft from 50mg at 12.5 mg every 4 weeks. Last 2 weeks I took 12.5 mg every other day. Then CT'd at 12.5 mg.

Dec 4, 2015: Reinstated Zoloft 12.5 mg.

Nov 2018: 12.5 mg to 6.25 mg. Held for 2 months then CT'd 6.25 mg on Jan 26.

Feb 16, 2019: Reinstated Zoloft 5 mg

Dec 2019: CT Zoloft 5 mg. Did okay until August 2020.

• Administrator

Welcome, Jay.

You just started taking doxepin? What does TACD mean?

How did you go off Zoloft? Who is "we"?

When did your sleep problems start?

How long have you been taking the methyl-B complex, 2000IU vit D, and Ortho Adren-All?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

"How did you go off Zoloft? Who is "we"?"

Tapered - June 1 - Oct 12, 2015 - Tapered Zoloft from 50mg at 12.5 mg drop every 4 weeks. Last 2 weeks I took 12.5 mg every other day.

We - Doc, Family, and me

"You just started taking doxepin? What does TACD mean?"

Yes, started taking doxepin on Dec 3; however, we stopped immediately. Quickly changed course to reinstate proven Zoloft at lower dose. It worked and "we" felt like I need a crutch AD while battling CEBV.

Sorry, TACD -> TCAD tricyclic antidepressants

"When did your sleep problems start?"

At 5 weeks after stopping Zoloft.

"How long have you been taking the methyl-B complex, 2000IU vit D, and Ortho Adren-All?"

Methyl B-complex and Vitamin-D for 12 months. My Vitamin-D levels were tested low, ~45. Also, I have the MTHFR 677T defect which leads to methyl B12 and folate. Ortho Adren-All for 5 months. 

Oct 2014: Clonazepam 0.5mg at night for sleep. Gabapentin 600mg x2 daily for pain.

Dec 2014: CT Clonazepam & Gabapentin on doctor’s instruction, because it wasn't helping symptoms. Caused severe depression, anxiety, panic attacks. ER due to 3 days of no sleep. ER administered Lorazepam IV.

Feb 15 - March 11, 2015: Tapered Lorazepam at 0.125 mg ever 5 days. Too fast and very difficult.

June 1 - Oct 12, 2015: Tapered Zoloft from 50mg at 12.5 mg every 4 weeks. Last 2 weeks I took 12.5 mg every other day. Then CT'd at 12.5 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello JayUT and thank you for providing answers to Alto's questions. She will have some helpful advice.

Thank you also for providing the details of your drug history.

The way you have been tapering Zoloft is too fast and taking it every other day is particularly destabilising. It's nice that you seem to have such a nice relationship with your family and doctor but unfortunately they don't know the nature of this drugs.

Looking at the beginning of your signature, although you say that after 7 years of use of amitriptyline in spring and summer you had no noted withdrawal symptoms, what you describe after you stopped taking it (fatigue, headaches, sinus pressure, anxiety, depression) are withdrawal symptoms. Unfortunately even if drugs don't help with symptoms any more stopping them cold turkey harms us further. As another bout of symptoms that followed confirms.

Since you reinstated Zoloft only very recently, it will take some time to stabilise from all the changes and too fast tapering. In my cases it took months. I would even say that 25 mg might be too much for you now but we will see how things develop. 

Although you have such supportive family and doctor, it might be good for you to inform yourself more about tapering. I will provide some links here. Unfortunately, it seems that your doctor's interventions haven't been particularly helpful, especially lately..

Here a 10% taper is advised to minimise withdrawal symptoms and allow the brain to remodel itself.  See this link:  Brain Remodelling

You may still be able to reinstate a small dose.  Please don't take anything until one of the other more knowledgeable members posts their thoughts.  Whilst you are waiting for a response, you could read the flowing so you understand what and why they suggest what they do.

Intro to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Why taper?

Can you include information on when you stared tricyclic ADs in your signature? (I personally wouldn't complicate my situation further by adding more drugs to the mix).

We recommend using magnesium to help dealing with anxiety because it is a natural calcium channel blocker. That's why you wouldn't want to take it together with calcium which annuls its effects. 

I'm also confused by your use of  charcoal. Charcoal  is said to trap chemicals in your stomach and prevent prevents their absorption. So you end up getting less of the drug which is not what you want. 

I hope I didn't bother you with too much information and Alto and other mods will handle the rest :)

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Jay, thanks for the information.

Skipping doses of drugs is a very bad way to taper. Many people come here with terrible withdrawal symptoms having done that. Please do not skip doses to taper any drug, even if your doctor recommends doing that. There are many ways to titrate a drug.

It's a good sign that reinstate of a small dose of Zoloft helped immediately. That indicates your symptoms were from withdrawal. Please plan on stabilizing for some months before starting to taper again. Why are you planning to increase it to 25mg? If 12.5mg works, even imperfectly at first, I would stay there. It will make less tapering later.

It takes at least 4 days for any dosage change to register completely in your body. Plus, there may be some ups and downs as your system stabilizes, see The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Did your insomnia start before or after you started Ortho Adren-All?

Since you've been taking the B vitamins for a year and your insomnia started later, the dosage of B vitamins you're taking is likely not contributing to your sleep disruption. However, at this point, since your system may have become sensitized by withdrawal, be careful about increasing any B vitamins, they may be over-activating.

Do not worry about treating the MTHFR variation. 40% of the population has polymorphisms. Except for a very few, they are benign.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

bubble,

I hadn't even considered that my Spring 2014 symptoms could have withdrawal from Amitriptyline. Can withdrawal symptoms be that unpredictable?

Also, I purchased some magnesium glycinate 120 mg pills to replace the Mg/Ca Citrate 80 mg combo pill. I hope this change helps.

Alto,

I wish I could say that reinstating the 12.5 mg zoloft is working, but I am only on day 1 as of Dec 5. It sounds like maybe I should give it a few more days before declaring a small victory.

I have an appointment with Psych doc on Tuesday, Dec 8. I want to discuss more time to stabilize at 12.5 mg rather than continuing to move up to 25 mg. What do you think?

Thanks for responding to my post.

• Administrator

I would not plan on increasing the Zoloft dosage. You need to let your nervous system settle down. Your psychiatrist may not understand this, as few know anything about withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

I hadn't even considered that my Spring 2014 symptoms could have withdrawal from Amitriptyline. Can withdrawal symptoms be that unpredictable?

In a word -- yes.  This process can be impossible to predict.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Day 2 of Reinstatement of 12.5 mg Zoloft is not going well at all. My body aches, anxiety, depression, panic attacks, headaches, etc. My body definitely feels it's in chaos. I am having a lot of trouble dealing with the symptoms. I am lost and scared. I want to get out of this. I am really scared I waited too long to reinstate. I stopped Zoloft on Oct 12; therefore, it's been 7 week withdrawal before RI.

I have a doc appointment on Tuesday and am very nervous about what she is going to recommend for our next steps.

"Did your insomnia start before or after you started Ortho Adren-All?"

I started taking Ortho Adren-All about 5 months ago. Sleep issues started middle of Nov 2015. 5 weeks after stopping the Zoloft. Also, the depression, anxiety and panic attacks also came back at the same time as the sleep problems. 5 weeks after stopping Zoloft.

• Administrator

Do you feel better or worse on 12.5mg Zoloft?

What time of day do you take each of your B vitamin supplements and Ortho Adren-All? Please keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern relative to when you take every drug or supplement.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jay,

I know it feels scary and out of control.  You've been put in a position no one should have to deal with.  We all remember how scared we were when we first turned up at s/a - you are not alone. 

Things do improve.  Right now your central nervous system is responding to the dose changes and trying to make sense of it all.  As you give it time, it will stabilise, and you will start to feel a little better.  Time is everything, really (though horribly hard to wait through). 

If you consider that you are in charge of all decisions about you, then you may not be so nervous about a doctor's recommendation.  It might also help to read this thread on self-care so you can give yourself all the support you can during this time.  Your brain deserves it :).

Basically just follow the advice the others gave, and go gently - you will get through this.

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

"Do you feel better or worse on 12.5mg Zoloft?"

At first, worse. Now maybe better. I am not certain. My symptoms seem to change rapidly through out the day. I am having a hard to making sense of it.

I wake up at ~5:30AM every morning with anxiety, panic attacks, and depression. It's scaring me and my family. These usually subside in the late morning, 9 - 10 AM. I have an afternoon anxiety episode around 3-4 PM. It's a wired and tired kind of anxiety feeling. Is this a blood sugar cortisol issue or something else? Doc recommended GABA chewables when I feel a panic attack coming on. I am surprised to say that it does seem to work very well. Not sure the long-term ramifications of taking GABA supplements.

I desperately want to sleep longer in the morning. I am using .5 mg melatonin to get to sleep and over-the-counter doxylamine succinate to try and help me stay asleep. I am not sure if this is good approach or not.

"What time of day do you take each of your B vitamin supplements and Ortho Adren-All?"

8 AM - 1 B-Complex pill and 1 Ortho Adren-All pill

Noon - 1 Ortho Adren-All pill

• Administrator

Your pattern is "normal" for withdrawal syndrome. Getting even a few hours of sleep is better than some.

It will take some time for your nervous system to settle down.

Do you drink caffeine, perhaps in the afternoon? Caffeine has a very long half-life and can affect your sleep and these anxiety surges. I would taper off.

Interesting about the chewable GABA. Occasional use isn't a problem, it has a very short half-life. Please post about it in the Symptoms forum, others will be interested.

Hello All,

Doc visit went well today. She was okay with staying at 12.5 mg and her opinion is that we have two time tables to watch.

If it is prolonged withdrawal then I should start noticing small improvements in my symptoms in 1-2 weeks.

If it is other factors then it may take up to 6 weeks before the Zoloft takes affect and I see improvements.

Also, she wanted me to back-off the Ortho Adren-All slowly. Discontinue the Breakfast Adren-All pill and see how my symptoms change. Continue to take the Lunch time Adren-All pill and compare symptoms to AM.

She also supported discontinuing the B-Complex as a test. She felt like I should know very quickly since B vitamins are water soluble.

Link to GABA thread with my post.

• Moderator Emeritus
I desperately want to sleep longer in the morning. I am using .5 mg melatonin to get to sleep and over-the-counter doxylamine succinate to try and help me stay asleep. I am not sure if this is good approach or not.

Doxylamine is an antihistamine. These are generally not recommended for regular use while tapering or for someone trying to recover from AD use, they act on some of the same receptors as antidepressants.

While some people do find them helpful, its good to be aware that they can cause paradoxical effects, increase withdrawal symptoms or slow recovery. For more information see our discussion topic:  Antihistamines and what to use for allergy relief - Symptoms ...

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks for the comment on Antihistamine use. I actually started thinking about that today.

The RI started good. Many of my emotional issues started subsiding by the 3rd day. However, I have a whole new set of symptoms that are flaring-up: Nausea, loss of appetite, dizziness, light headed, body aches, chills. Almost like I am hung-over.

What are reasonable expectations for stabilizing on the 12.5 mg Zoloft RI? It's only been 6 days so far.

• Administrator

As it's been only 6 days and you have seen some benefit from it, the signs are good that reinstatement will work.

As it takes at least 4 days for the drug to reach steady-state in your bloodstream, you are now feeling the effects of the full 12.5mg. You may be feeling "start up" symptoms. Or, you're coming down with the flu.

Or, it is possible 12.5mg is too strong a dose. Give it a few more days and see.

Day 7 of Zoloft RI @ 12.5mg after stopping on Oct 12, 2015:

Things haven't changed much since day 6. Physical symptoms are wearing me out. Headaches, body aches, chills, weakness, tired, poor sleep, hypersensitivity, nausea, no appetite. These physical symptoms are feeding my anxiety and depression. This is not working as well as I hoped. Trying to be patient, but it is difficult. I fear this RI was a bad idea, but trying to remain hopeful.

The web search seems inconsistent with regards to start-up symptoms. Where can I find a reliable read on start-up symptoms?

Any suggestions on best way to accurately cut my 25 mg pill to two equal 12.5 mg halves?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jay ,    you're right , accuracy is important.

The most accurate ways to measure your dose are either to use digital jewellers' scale to weigh , or to make a

liquid.  See Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

Essentially , if you dissolve a 25mg tab. in 25mg water , you can draw up precisely 12.5mg in an oral syringe.

See   

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

and

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

All the symptoms you've describes are consistent with withdrawal that has not been curbed yet.  You've given

12.5 a good go , if it were me I'd consider increasing if the next few days don't see a lessening of your symptoms.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Day 8 of Zoloft RI @ 12.5mg after stopping on Oct 12, 2015:

I thought that maybe things were improving on days 4 and 5, but I am certain day 7 was worse.

Symptoms seem to be changing rapidly by the hour. I feel very lost and alone. Last night I called emergency phone number at pysch office and left message with regards to my rapidly changing symptoms. I haven't received a call back yet. I feel like I have three options: (1) stay the course at 12.5 mg; (2) reduce dosage; (3) increase dosage. I don't think I can make a rational decision in my current state. Please help.

​Improved Symptoms: Less headaches, no more crying spells, depression seems reduced, bowel movements more consistent after stopping B-Complex and Ortho Adren-All

Worsening Symptoms: Nausea, body aches, chills, no appetite, severe restlessness, weakness, inability to feel sad emotions, I feel like I want to cry, but can't, increased frustration and anger, tingling in legs, arms and scalp

​Symptoms Same: Poor sleep, poor concentration, morning anxiety and severe nausea around 5-7 AM, afternoon anxiety and severe nausea around 3-5 PM

Changes: Discontinued Ortho Adren-All and B-Complex on day 6. Increased melatonin from .5 mg to 1 mg Day 7 PM and don't think it helped.

Talked with Pysch Doc. She felt like my symptoms above are consistent with RI or the chaos of my body adjusting to the 12.5 mg Zoloft. She seems to want to work very slow and not make any dosage changes at this time. Rather she wants to have weekly appointments to discuss symptom progression and RI progress. She acknowledged that this will not be easy to RI.

I will continue to journal my progress with this community as I work through this difficult time in my life. I hope that one day I can look back at my story and see positive progress that brings happiness and a smile to my face.

• Administrator

Jay, please calm down. Your symptoms are "normal" for withdrawal syndrome. That there is a little improvement is a good sign. It may take some time for your system to settle down, even with reinstatement.

Please realize your nervous system and body have received a big shock and need time to adjust. The symptoms will come in waves. Often, there is no immediate resolution of withdrawal syndrome. Read see The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Your assessment of

I feel like I have three options: (1) stay the course at 12.5 mg; (2) reduce dosage; (3) increase dosage.

is correct. In a while, it will become more clear which option is preferable.

In the meantime, to quell anxiety, you might read Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms and practice one or more. Have you always had problems with anxiety?

Please continue to let us know how you are doing.

"Have you always had problems with anxiety?"

I have never understood or experienced anxiety until I was 36 years old on Nov 24, 2014. Not knowing anything, and trusting the advice of my doc, I was told that it was okay to CT clonazepam. As a result, of the CT I experienced true anxiety, panic attacks, and depression for the first time in my life.

I was admitted to the ER Dec 2, 2014, because I hadn't slept for 3 days and was starting to have convulsions. My father and wife were trying to take care of me, and were very scared as they have never witnessed anything like that before. The ER gave me a Lorazepam in my IV to calm me down and that is when I started to understand the true horrific nature of benzos and pysch drugs. I ended up losing 27 pounds over the next 1.5 months. I was 5'11" male weighing 133 lbs. My wife feared for my health and; therefore, I stopped working for 4.5 months to attend to the situation. Feb 15, 2015, I started tapering off of Lorazepam. I think most will agree I went to fast. I went through my second round of benzo withdrawal, but it was more manageable due to the taper. During the taper I experienced my second round of anxiety, depression, and panic attacks, but thankfully it wasn't as bad as my Nov 2014 CT on clonazepam. I still think my body may be repairing itself from the benzos. I hear it can take a few years to repair from benzo withdrawal.

Zoloft was given to me as a safer alternative to Lorazepam and as a crutch to help me off the benzos. The psych doctor I was and still am seeing is against benzos.

In the end, I want to be off these chemicals. My wife is supportive in a slow and gradual Zoloft taper at some point in the future. She even suggested I take 2 years to do it. I don't think I will ever be the person I used to be. I hope and pray that something positive comes out of this experience. Perhaps I grow, gain some wisdom, more sensitive and compassionate, more open minded, maybe more relaxed, and take time to smell the roses more often.

I am activaly searching for a therapist. I think it is long overdue. I hope to learn some non-drug coping skills through this community and a therapist.

Day 9 of Zoloft RI @ 12.5mg after stopping on Oct 12, 2015:

I had a nice 3 hour window at the end of day 8. It felt close to normal. My wife and I were laying on the couch together and in that moment she even said that things "feel" normal. Day 9 has started better, nausea is down a bit and sleep may have marginally improved last night. Anxiety seemed down just a bit this morning.

Symptoms that Stopped: None at this time

Improved Symptoms: Less headaches, far fewer crying spells, depression seems reduced, bowel movements more consistent after stopping B-Complex and Ortho Adren-All, Nausea, body aches, chills, morning anxiety and severe nausea around 5-7 AM

Worsening Symptoms: Nothing got worse as compared to day 8.

​Symptoms Same: Poor sleep, poor concentration, afternoon anxiety and severe nausea around 3-5 PM, no appetite, severe restlessness, weakness, inability to feel sad emotions, I feel like I want to cry, but can't, frustration and anger, tingling in legs, arms and scalp

Day 10 of Zoloft RI @ 12.5mg after stopping on Oct 12, 2015:

Things are looking up. Day 9 had some positive notes. I started to get my appetite back. I actually felt good enough to leave the house for both lunch and dinner.

Symptoms that Stopped: None

Improved Symptoms: Less headaches, far fewer crying spells, depression seems reduced, bowel movements more consistent after stopping B-Complex and Ortho Adren-All, Nausea, body aches, chills, morning anxiety and severe nausea around 5-7 AM, afternoon anxiety and severe nausea around 3-5 PM, appetite improved

​Symptoms Same: Poor sleep, poor concentration, severe restlessness, weakness, inability to feel sad emotions, I feel like I want to cry, but can't, frustration and anger, tingling in legs, arms and scalp

Worsening Symptoms: None

Day 11 of Zoloft RI @ 12.5mg after stopping on Oct 12, 2015:

A lot of morning anxiety and restlessness. Appetite continues to improve.

Improved Symptoms: Less headaches, far fewer crying spells, depression seems reduced, bowel movements more consistent after stopping B-Complex and Ortho Adren-All, Nausea, body aches, chills, afternoon anxiety and severe nausea around 3-5 PM, appetite improved

​Symptoms Same: Poor sleep, poor concentration, severe restlessness, weakness, inability to feel sad emotions, I feel like I want to cry, but can't, frustration and anger, tingling in legs, arms and scalp

Worsening Symptoms: morning anxiety and severe nausea around 5-7 AM

Day 12 of Zoloft RI @ 12.5mg after stopping on Oct 12, 2015:

Continue to have a lot of morning anxiety and nausea. I also feel hungover and dizzy for most of the morning. Is this continued withdrawal/RI issues or could the 0.5 mg melatonin be causing the hangover feeling?

Improved Symptoms: Less headaches, far fewer crying spells, depression seems reduced, bowel movements more consistent after stopping B-Complex and Ortho Adren-All, Nausea, body aches, chills, afternoon anxiety and severe nausea around 3-5 PM, appetite improved

Worsening Symptoms: morning anxiety and severe nausea around 5-7 AM

• Administrator

Melatonin can cause a hungover feeling. Try taking .25mg and see if that changes.

It sounds like the morning cortisol spike might be causing some upset in the early a.m. See Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

Day 13 of Zoloft RI @ 12.5mg after stopping on Oct 12, 2015:

Changed up my night regiment from .50 melatonin to 120 mg Mg Glycinate, 500 mg Vitamin C, and .25 melatonin. First night seemed good. I slept a little better. Morning AM anxiety and nausea is still a problem, but don't feel as hungover.

Also, I tried 500 mg Lysine on Day 11 and 1000 mg Lysine on Day 12. I don't notice any positive or negative results. Apparently, I need to slowly work up to between 1000 mg to 2000 mg per day to help fight the ebv.

Improved Symptoms: Less headaches, far fewer crying spells, depression seems reduced, bowel movements more consistent after stopping B-Complex and Ortho Adren-All, Nausea, body aches, chills, afternoon anxiety and severe nausea around 3-5 PM, appetite improved, tingling in legs, arms and scalp

​Symptoms Same: Poor sleep, poor concentration, severe restlessness, weakness, inability to feel sad emotions, I feel like I want to cry, but can't, frustration and anger, morning anxiety and severe nausea around 5-7 AM

Worsening Symptoms: Dizziness and lite headed

• 2 weeks later...

Day 25 of Zoloft RI @ 12.5mg after stopping on Oct 12, 2015:

Some surprising developments have happened since I last provided an update. Overall, the windows appear to be getting larger and the waves smaller.

Fortunately or unfortunately, doc has diagnosed me with Lyme Disease. First two lyme tests came back negative, third test shows positive. I started treatment Dec 18. The first 8 days were miserable with severe waves and herx. It's now very difficult to discern between Zoloft RI and the Lyme herx.

Improved Symptoms: Less headaches, far fewer crying spells, depression reduced, bowel movements more consistent, nausea, afternoon anxiety and severe nausea around 3-5 PM, appetite improved, tingling in legs, arms and scalp, poor concentration,  inability to feel sad emotions, I feel like I want to cry, but can't, morning nausea, frustration and anger, restlessness, Dizziness and lite headed

​Symptoms Same: Poor sleep, weakness,morning anxiety, body aches, chills, joint pain 

Worsening Symptoms: None

• Moderator Emeritus

So good to hear about those windows - a sure sign on healing.  The lyme issue might be muddling things a bit, but the healing will still be happening underneath it all. 

Just wondering - do Lyme tests have a false-positive issue?  Cause two tests saying you didn't have it, and one saying you did - well, I'm no Lyme expert but I'd find that suspicious. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Just wondering - do Lyme tests have a false-positive issue?  Cause two tests saying you didn't have it, and one saying you did - well, I'm no Lyme expert but I'd find that suspicious. 

Great question. The simple answer is Yes, false positives can happen. A more detailed answer is that Lyme testing is very complicated and there is no widely accepted standard for testing. False positives and false negatives are normal. The first two tests were done by the local labs, which don't specialize in Lyme testing. The first, western blot, was per CDC which leaves out a few important bands. The second was CD57 which was so very close to being positive. The third and final panel was completed by Lyme reference lab Igenex. It seems that Igenex is considered by many LLMD's as a gold standard and go to lab for Lyme testing. Igenex lab came back positive with IFA testing and positive western blot with 4 bands.

Additionally, my symptoms, for the last 1.5 years, are consistent with Lyme infection.

Time and treatment will hopefully get me healed.

• 1 month later...

How r you doing? I'm considering having lyme test done because I see no improvements in my body and joint pain.

Are you under treatment for lyme ?

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

• 3 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Putting this in your Intro for your history.

Please update your drug signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

11 hours ago, JayUT said:

This SERT Occupancy graphs makes such a difference in my understanding of why a slow taper is so important. Especially towards the end of the taper.

What would be the occupancy equation for Sertraline? 

I am giving this taper another go after being on the sidelines for 3 years. Three years ago, I had somewhat manageable withdrawal problems from 50 mg to 37.5 mg to 25 mg to 12.5 mg, but failed miserably when I CT'd at 12.5 mg. I reinstated and held at 12.5 mg for the past 3 years. It looks like 12.5 mg Sertraline is still around 55% occupancy.

In Nov 2018, I decided to drop from 12.5 mg to 6.25 mg. I had some withdrawal, but it appeared to be manageable. Held 6.25 mg for 2 months. Then 6.25 mg to 0 mg was a fail. 6.25 mg is still appears to be around 40% SERT occupancy. I have reinstated at 5 mg 1 week ago and waiting to stabilize.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I am giving this taper another go after being on the sidelines for 3 years. Three years ago, I had somewhat manageable withdrawal problems from 50 mg to 37.5 mg to 25 mg to 12.5 mg, but failed miserably when I CT'd at 12.5 mg. I reinstated and held at 12.5 mg for the past 3 years.

In Nov 2018, I decided to drop from 12.5 mg to 6.25 mg. I had some withdrawal, but it appeared to be manageable. Held 6.25 mg for 2 months. Then 6.25 mg to 0 mg was a fail. I have reinstated at 5 mg 1 week ago and waiting to stabilize.