Lincoln78: what to do now?

Lincoln78

Thank you Sarabera.

I have asked my GP about Bio identical but as im not in Menopause she says she is unable to prescribe this and has given me the mini pill.

For the last week i have had a terrible feeling like when someone scratches their nails down a blackboard feeling but in my head. It is vile. I laid in bed last night trying to sleep but it got so bad I ended up having a massive panic attack, i was unable to speak or move and shook violently for a long time, this has never happened before in withdrawal or in health. I eventually slept for 3 hrs but woke with a massive cortisol rushes as bad as a year ago. i feel totally destroyed today. This nightmare just goes on and on 

Seroxat 6 years CT. Prozac 10 years 20mg for 2 years then 20mg every other day for 8 years. CT May 2014. Med free but  living in hell

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lincoln78

• nz11

• AliG

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel so low, I don't know how to lift this depression it's consuming. How do people manage this ?

Seroxat 6 years CT. Prozac 10 years 20mg for 2 years then 20mg every other day for 8 years. CT May 2014. Med free but  living in hell

Lincoln. Just keep going. It will eventually lift. Sometimes , it takes a while.  ;)   It can be a little " rough" at times, but you will make it through ! 

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

When I was in the worst of depression, I tried very hard to just "go through the motions"--get out of bed, take a shower, go for a walk, do some light chores, etc...Just getting outside always helped a lot. Hopefully now that you've had a panic attack, you know you can live through it. If you can try and kind of disassociate, and realize that this is just a body reaction and will pass, it kind of loses it's power. I know how hard it is when you are worried about brain damage and all that, will this never end? but you can heal from all this.

Sarah

1975--first signs of depression

1981--started on imipramine (Tofranil) for IBS and depression

1983-1986--severe depression, rotated through several drugs, on MAOI for one year, eventually back to tricyclics

1986-1994--chronic low grade depression, on tricyclics

1994-96--severe depression, rotated through several drugs inc. Prozax, Effexor, etc..

1996-2013--chronic low grade depression, SAD, on amitryptiline usual dose 12.5-25mg

flurazepam (Dalmane) as needed for insomnia

2013--developed temazepam (Restoril) dependance for 2 months, tapered off over 1 month

started bio-identical progesterone 5 mg., depression has lifted completely to this day

March 2016--forced to c/t both amitryptiline and flurazepam, zolpidem not helpful

reinstated small dose (.5 mg) amitryptiline due to stomach issues and tapering w/titration

June 19th--jumped from amitryptiline--drug free!

Thank you Sarah.

If I could just calm my system the hormones/cortisol would be more in sync and the depression would lift I know it. I woke at 5.30 this morning after a fitful night, I live in a apartment block and there is some noise in the morning, I lay there and I can hear my neighbour drop something on the wooden floor, not a loud noise but waves and waves of adrenaline surge over my body and this is with earplugs/ blackout blinds ect. I counted last night and I'm nearly 20 months off Prozac surely I should be seeing improvement, I'm only 37 and was very fit prior to this.

Sorry for being a little negative I know it's not in the spirit of the site. I'm actually normally very upbeat. Did you ever try acupunture ? I hear it can calm the system in war vets

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting on verepramil will update any progress

I hear Americans prefer their coffee, but we Brits like our tea. Seems it may help lower cortisol. Worth a shot.

Black tea soothes away stress

Daily cups of tea can help you recover more quickly from the stresses of everyday life, according to a new study by UCL (University College London) researchers. New scientific evidence shows that black tea has an effect on stress hormone levels in the body.

The study, published in the journal Psychopharmacology, found that people who drank tea were able to de-stress more quickly than those who drank a fake tea substitute. Furthermore, the study participants – who drank a black tea concoction four times a day for six weeks – were found to have lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol in their blood after a stressful event, compared with a control group who drank the fake or placebo tea for the same period of time.

In the study, 75 young male regular tea drinkers were split into two groups and monitored for six weeks. They all gave up their normal tea, coffee and caffeinated beverages, then one group was given a fruit-flavoured caffeinated tea mixture made up of the constituents of an average cup of black tea. The other group – the control group – was given a caffeinated placebo identical in taste, but devoid of the active tea ingredients. All drinks were tea-coloured, but were designed to mask some of the normal sensory cues associated with tea drinking (such as smell, taste and familiarity of the brew), to eliminate confounding factors such as the ‘comforting’ effect of drinking a cup of tea.

Both groups were subjected to challenging tasks, while their cortisol, blood pressure, blood platelet and self-rated levels of stress were measured. In one task, volunteers were exposed to one of three stressful situations (threat of unemployment, a shop lifting accusation or an incident in a nursing home), where they had to prepare a verbal response and argue their case in front of a camera.

The tasks triggered substantial increases in blood pressure, heart rate and subjective stress ratings in both of the groups. In other words, similar stress levels were induced in both groups. However, 50 minutes after the task, cortisol levels had dropped by an average of 47 per cent in the tea drinking group compared with 27 per cent in the fake tea group.

UCL researchers also found that blood platelet activation – linked to blood clotting and the risk of heart attacks – was lower in the tea drinkers, and that this group reported a greater degree of relaxation in the recovery period after the task.

Professor Andrew Steptoe, UCL Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, says: “Drinking tea has traditionally been associated with stress relief, and many people believe that drinking tea helps them relax after facing the stresses of everyday life. However, scientific evidence for the relaxing properties of tea is quite limited. This is one of the first studies to assess tea in a double-blind placebo controlled design – that is, neither we nor the participants knew whether they were drinking real or fake tea. This means that any differences were due to the biological ingredients of tea, and not to the relaxing situations in which people might drink tea, whether they were familiar with the taste and liked it, and so on.

“We do not know what ingredients of tea were responsible for these effects on stress recovery and relaxation. Tea is chemically very complex, with many different ingredients. Ingredients such as catechins, polyphenols, flavonoids and amino acids have been found to have effects on neurotransmitters in the brain, but we cannot tell from this research which ones produced the differences.

“Nevertheless, our study suggests that drinking black tea may speed up our recovery from the daily stresses in life. Although it does not appear to reduce the actual levels of stress we experience, tea does seem to have a greater effect in bringing stress hormone levels back to normal. This has important health implications, because slow recovery following acute stress has been associated with a greater risk of chronic illnesses such as coronary heart disease.”

• Moderator Emeritus

Black tea soothes away stress

Daily cups of tea can help you recover more quickly from the stresses of everyday life, according to a new study by UCL (University College London) researchers. New scientific evidence shows that black tea has an effect on stress hormone levels in the body.

It might be because tea, including black tea contains L-Theanine.  I recently did a lot of research and learned that black tea actually contains more L-Theanine than the kind of green tea sold in most grocery stores. Its widely believed that its only green tea that contains L-Theanine.

But if you are drinking tea, you might want to switch to decaff. Caffeine is something many of us had to give up while recovering from withdrawal. I can no longer tolerate even weak tea in the morning, it increases anxiety symptoms and stops me from sleeping properly at night. I used to drink both tea and coffee.

I just read through your whole thread Lincoln and I'm so sorry you're going through this and for what you have lost. I relate to all your descriptions of symptoms because I've been there. I came off SSRIs too fast after long term use and have been in protracted withdrawal ever since.

You can read my story in my intro thread if you want, link in my signature, but I wanted to give you some hope that it does get better over time.

It was over two years before I stumbled onto this site and learn that what I was experiencing was withdrawal, I was still believing I had a chemical imbalance and was trying to get some relief with various prescription drugs, trying to find the right mix of chemicals to balance my brain again.... all it did was make me worse and set my recovery back.

I've been completely drug free for 33 months now and many of my symptoms have gone completely and the rest of them are much improved. My sleep is almost back to normal now, I used to be exactly as you describe yourself. But now I no longer have to sleep with ear plugs because I'm not being woken up by every little sound. I also used to have to get up several times a night to use the bathroom, but that stopped also.

The turning point for me was when I stopped trying to fix myself with pills and started doing my best to give my nervous system the calm, natural environment it needed to do its own repair work. It still took a long time before I started to feel any improvement but after about 18 months of being drug free I was able to notice that I had made some progress and was in fact getting better.

I've found small amounts of symptom relief from a few supplements, but I've had to do a lot of experimenting to find ones that have helped.

Have you seen this topic: Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have withdrawal insomnia  ...you probably have.

I hope your appointment with Dr. Healy goes well next month. I've heard that he's very nice.

Did you ever try acupunture ? I hear it can calm the system in war vets

Some people find acupuncture helpful to reduce withdrawal symptoms, but you have to request a calming treatment, we have a topic on it here: Acupuncture - Surviving Antidepressants

I wish I had more to offer in the way of help, but know you're not alone in this difficult journey back to health. 

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petunia

Thank you for your reply.

Your right about caffeine I have not touched it in 18 months after a bad reaction. In fact I get very nervous about people making me drinks in case they mix the decaf up.

I have not taken a psychiatric drug in 18 months either, I'm about to start verepramil as soon as its approved. This was suggested by a dr through desperation really and it's the first drug I have had the courage to agree to.

Iv seen Dr Healy and your right he is a very nice man.

The truth is I have not seen any measurable improvement in in 20 months, I worry about the long term effects of depression on my body. I'm in constant pain, I never had pain prior to coming off drugs except muscle ache after a long run. I'm also unable to complete simple tasks a.m.

I know I had some level of depression before medication, im not ashamed to admit it as there is no shame in mental illness. The problem is when you are medicated at a young age you never have the chance to see how things will pan out.

I'm glad you are feeling better Petunia it really makes me smile to think someone has come through this even if it's not fully. X

Lincoln. There are many here , in the same boat . You are not on your own . Many ,like Petu are suffering. She is a " Saint " . I know you know this .Please hang on.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Thanks Lincoln.

After a 20 min nap today nothing looks real everything looks like a copy of a copy, I know this to be derealisation. It's sucks big time!

Meant to say Thanks AliG. Don't know what planet I'm on today

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Lincoln,

Those last two posts gave me a giggle :).  I hadn't read your thread till today.  I think you show a lot of strength the way you are still going onwards, day by day.  It may not feel like you are getting anywhere, but during depression the ability to do that is actually a lot and it needs acknowledging. 

My kids are older now, so it's a little easier.  You are right in the thick of being a mum - so extra credit there too. 

If you want to see my story of healing from what was pretty much life-long depression, take a look at my blog (link in my sig.)  The early posts were written when I was still in the thick of it - and it shows how hopeless I felt for years.  The later posts are where the hope comes in and things started to change for me.  I struggled with depression through my childhood, teens, twenties, nearly gave up, and then in my mid thirties things started to work out.  It's worth waiting for.

I know you'll find some peace; I hope it's sooner rather than later.

Hugs,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you Karen

I will read your blog.

The one thing I don't feel bad about anymore is going cold turkey. I beat myself up for so long thinking if only I had known to taper things would be different but Dr Healy said this can happen on a fast or slow taper, so Iv tried to put this out my head. X

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me how long their morning rushes went on for? I'm in month 21 and still getting them, wake early with dread/doom and the cortisol rolls over me in waves.. So desperate for refreshing sleep. It seems for every symptom I have the normal treatment is ADs

Depression/anxiety- AD

Vertigo- AD amiltriptyline.

Cfs- AD

Fibro-AD

Migrane-AD

InsomniaAD

Frequent urination.AD

I understand the chemistry behind it I just wish is wasn't so.

Ps If anyone is interested in what Mr Healy said pm me. Especially if you CT.

It does get better .  I'm 20 months, and on the mend . No one can say. It is impossible. If you are off for long enough, it will improve, and recede.

Ali

I'm pleased your improving Ali

Hi Lincoln,

Just wanted to say hello and to wish you well in your continued journey. 

I still have Cortisol rushes upon waking each morning, but these have changed from the dread/doom to a nauseous feeling.  The last couple of days I seem to have been free from this so I'm hoping that my recovery has turned a corner. 

I don't think the drug ever fully leaves your body, I believe that traces are still found in organs and this has been proven when autopsies have been conducted on people who have been on ADs.  This is not to say that the body doesn't ever fully recover, the amount would be a trace element and so should have no long last effects. 

I am over 2 years out after taking 2 ADs over a 16 year period.  I didn't cold turkey as to speak, I took roughly 2 years or so and then my GP decided to CT me with his lack of knowledge, though he is thought to be a great eminent speaker in my city when it come to psychological matters.

The two ADs I had been prescribed are Seroxat and Escitalopram, so I kind of know the distress that you have been through.

Remember to be kind to yourself and try and relax the best you can. You can and will get through this I am sure.

Namaste,

DC.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

The morning cortisol rush is different for everyone. It normally improves with time, but can vary individually . It is your system on " high alert ".

Ali.

Hi Namaste

Thank you for your support. I'm hoping your recovery has turned a corner too. Seroxat is a tough drug. I try so hard to be kind to my body, I try and eat healthy and get fresh air but I have so much extra external stress than before this started. financially this has been very tough, as well as family problems. There is nothing this thing spares. I'm trying everyday to stay positive and when I do recover I will never take for granted the ability to work and care for my children again.

It's ok I understand your point Ali. It will last as long as it lasts, we are all different I get that. Thank you

I hope you didn't misunderstand. It is not permanent.  :)

Ali

I Missed a misunderstanding Ali

I thought maybe light effected cortisol but I honestly think I could live in a box and still get it. It's pitch black until 9am in the winter and I still get it at 6-7am.

My GP refuses to test for cortisol so going to just have to live with it. I also learned cystitis is very common in withdrawal which I have almost constantly. The one thing that has left me is the constant upset stomach which I'm pleased about.

Lincoln.   I think I was on another planet , too. LOL.  Like you , I have  severe insomnia, and in the early hours of the morning, I tend to lose  perspective and neuro - emotions kick in. I hope you understand.

You might want to look up Colloidal Silver. It has been successful in some cases with cystitis. It's probably worth looking into , as its a natural alternative to antibiotics.

Hey Ali. Yes I understand and I'm glad I'm not the only one that loses perspective in the early hours. I hate the insomnia. I used to be able to sleep for England!

Just researching the colloidal, has to beat antibiotics.

So low today, everyday is the same wake up with the wooshing headache of a few hrs bad quality sleep and constant pain! I ran a full marathon 3 years ago today. Prozac has a lot to answer for

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lincoln ,  I'm a huge fan of colloidal silver for any sort of infection - it has no side effects and you can't get toxic.

A common symptom is in w/d is urinary frequency , which is not an infection and there is no burning when you pee.

See  Urination and Bladder Issues (Male and Female)

bw ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi fresh

Yeah I know I spoke to dr healy about it. Iv had many urine tests and they don't show infection I do have burning and pulling though and frequency. Will try the colloidal thanks.

I'm discussing some off his suggestions with my dr fingers crossed she approves of the off label part

• 2 weeks later...

Iv had tinnitus since this started but is now almost 24/7 for the the last month. I can't take it anymore Iv waited almost 2 years for improvement and if anything the last 6 months have been worse. Chronic fatigue, chronic pain, tinnitus, dizziness, insomnia, depression and anxiety. Also the headaches I get are very painful. Iv tried everything, no alcohol no sugar, yoga, fresh air, cbt, hypnotherapy, massage therapy, meditation classes, acupuncture. Mangnesium, lactium, cod liver oil. My question is, do I either try going back to Prozac a very low dose or the tryclic that the psychiatrist suggests. I know nobody knows what will happen or how I will react I appreciate that 100% but please just someone give me their opinion on my two options. Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

I guess both options have pros and cons Lincoln.

If you are going to try prozac , please start with just a tiny dose - 1/2 to 1mg.  If it does trigger an adverse reaction , it's

better to have only a small dose on board.   It may have no effect at all after this long , 20 months.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Lincoln i was in bad shape at 20 months These are still early days. Spend time lingering in the success thread. and non drug ways to cope.

Healy says 2-4 yrs once drug free. Please be patient. You are doing so well. Dont give up hope.

please just someone give me their opinion on my two options

Here's my opinion Determine to stay the course drug free. Well you asked so i gave you my opinion. 

And heres another consider keeping  well away from people with prescribing priveleges at this vulnerable time. imo

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

yep I get what your saying. My child will not grow up without her mummy I owe her that and absolute ton more

• 2 weeks later...

I started taking Chlonidine recently, chlonidine reduces locus coeruleus activity and is a blood pressure med. It has helped me alot with the hypervigilance and i also fall asleep faster, i still wake up but it does not take me hours to fall asleep. I get very dizzy but i don't feel like i have to be alert 24-7. 

I hate taking anything and i had resisted for 2 years almost, but i was totally frazzled to the point i was in danger. 

• 1 month later...

Today marks 2 years off antidepressants. Not much has changed in the last 2 years but the low dose of clonidine I have been taking for the last 6 weeks has helped a lot. My vision is better I don't have to wear dark glasses constantly and can sit in the spring sunshine and feel the warmth on my skin, my heart races at lot less and the morning adrenaline surges are much less severe. I'm still debilitated but I can take a full breath and it feels so good

• Moderator Emeritus

Good to hear of some improvements Lincoln, even if slow.  Would you say that last line of your signature is no longer entirely true? 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

Thanks Karen

Yes I would say that because I forgot to amend it which I will rectify. I have zero shame for taking the blood pressure med and could not care less if anyone thinks I did wrong not that they do. nobody knows the limits of others suffering. We just do the best we can in this messed up situation. X

• Moderator Emeritus

So true.  It's like that old quotation about walking a mile in someone else's gumboots ...

8 month hold.

• 1 year later...

I had to go back to psych drugs. It was extremely tough but I wanted to live. I hope to come off in the future I really do but today is for living, I will never suffer that amount of pain for so long again. I look in the mirror everyday and wonder how the hell I survived a CT. Prozac really is a evil drug