SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Freespirit123: Want off drugs

freespirit123

• Administrator

Waking at 2:30 or so is very, very common when your nervous system has been disturbed by going on and off drugs. There are many people here with the identical pattern.

When I wake up in the middle of the night, I often think, "Time to practice my meditative breathing."

What times of day do you take Celexa and Lunesta?

The Lunesta alone might be causing you to wake up. This is called a paradoxical reaction. It is possible you have reached tolerance on the Lunesta; while you are physiologically dependent on it, it isn't working and has gone paradoxical.

As I said before, the Celexa might be playing a role in fracturing your sleep.

This is the problem with psychiatric drugs, which your doctor might not explain to you fully. We call it the drug merry-go-round. You go on one, then another to counter the effect of the first, then another to counter the interaction, then another and another.... Eventually, your nervous system refuses to cooperate and does things like fail to allow you to sleep properly, or worse.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• freespirit123

• ChessieCat

• Altostrata

• KarenB

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Karen and thank you for always being super sweet and a great help.  I've been taking B12 and the others, for years.  I can't just accept not sleeping.  I homeschool my kids and run a business and I'd be a basket case without sleep.  UGH!  How long will I be this way?  I know no one can really answer that.  Just got an adjustment so hopefully that'll help and he gave me a supplement to support the hypothalamus.

In 2015- had UTI put on Microbid. Stopped sleeping & had a nervous breakdown! Was put on Seroquil, Trazadone, Klonopin, just to name a few! Got off all drugs except Celexa until May of 2018. 

Update as of 1/19- reinstated Celexa 20mg. Drinking wine nightly along with a slew of meds/supplements to try and get to sleep. 

Gosh Alto that seems insane!  I take Celexa in the morning around 9.  Lunesta at 10p or so when its time to go to bed. I'd love to get off that as well but don't want to overwhelm my body and get off too many things at once.  My husband gets so frustrated and doesn't understand "why" i can't just close my eyes and go to sleep... I can't either! :(

In 2015- had UTI put on Microbid. Stopped sleeping & had a nervous breakdown! Was put on Seroquil, Trazadone, Klonopin, just to name a few! Got off all drugs except Celexa until May of 2018. 

Update as of 1/19- reinstated Celexa 20mg. Drinking wine nightly along with a slew of meds/supplements to try and get to sleep. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Snap - I home-school my kids too :).  But I don't run a business.  I know it's hard, just sometimes a change in perspective can help a little.  I guess for you it will be looking to the soothing things you can do in the night.  Yoga is good.  When you wake up turn around and stick your legs up the wall.  Then do some belly breathing.  It's good for resetting and calming.

And a trick I made up myself with very good results:  You'll need one very achy and stiff neck, which constantly wants to move around trying to find a comfy position.  Then when you wake up concentrate on NOT moving your neck, but letting muscles relax each time a wave sweeps over them.  I have to concentrate so hard that my thoughts can't start racing, and I pretty much always end up asleep.

Well, I guess it's really just meditation.  Which I can't claim to have made up.  But there's something about this that works for me where other meditations don't. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Again Lunesta last night woke up 2 hrs later! Could this be the withdrawal from Seroquel or Lunesta coincidentally not working now? Now dr wants to describe Belsomra.

Omg I'm getting so desperate I don't know what to do!!!!!! 3rd night with Ativan and don't want to stir up that beast

So if it is true that I have become pyridoxal with Lunesta. What in the world should I do? I have no doctors to ask question! Should I just stop taking it?

• Moderator Emeritus

I think your experience with Lunesta is showing you that drugs can't reliably help you with sleep.  Trying a new drug will add further complications for you to deal with. 

But it's your path - you really need to make a call about living drug-free or continuing to search for an answer in drugs. 

From what I've seen on s/a, sleep issues are difficult and can last for a long time, but they can resolve.  Building up non-drug supports is what gradually gets people into better sleep patterns.  That, and time. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

I know Karen. I desperately want to live a med free life, just like I did up until Aug. but now I'm so desperate for sleep! I can't function with sleep and not understanding "why" is driving me nuts.

I start each morning with meditation, prayer and devotionals. Take high quality cod fish oil, b12, d3, digestive enymes, probiotics and prebiotics. Even make my own Elderberry syrup.

I just want this sleep issue fixed and don't know how to fix it. I can't afford to go day by day without sleep.

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you considered what Alto says about Lunesta possibly causing you sleep problems?

Tips for Tapering Z drugs for sleep says you can reduce by 25% per week, unless you get signs that's too fast for you.  And you could also stop using Klonopin - are you still using it roughly 'once a week'? 

Since you are not sleeping anyway, you don't have much to lose.  Your brain might prefer the more settled state of 'only' Celexa. 

8 month hold.

Yes I'm starting to believe he might be right but I can't just stop cold turkey, and wouldn't that be too much stress on my nervous sys? Getting off of two meds too quickly?

Most of the posts on the link is about Ambien. Hoping someone can share their success with Lunesta. Did you mention you took sleep aids at one time?

• Moderator Emeritus

You wouldn't stop lunesta cold-turkey - you could start with the 25% mentioned in the thread and see how that goes, making notes about how you respond to the change. 

If you've been taking Klonopin regularly then don't start tapering it at the same time as Lunesta.  It was only if you had been taking it very irregularly then it may be better to stop that.

When did you last taper any of your meds?  I'm not sure if your sig. means you last tapered Seroquol down to 14mg last November?  If that's true, and if apart from the sleep you have been fairly settled, then you could consider beginning the taper off Lunesta.  See if your sleep improves. 

And no I've never taken sleeping aids.  I let myself be coerced into taking SSRIs at a desperate time in my life, and that's it.  No other meds for me. 

I'm glad you read the link - let us know what you decide.

8 month hold.

Last time I used Klonopin was .25mg and it was like 1.5 weeks ago. This week I've used .50 of Ativan. But proud to say I didn't use it last night and only Lunesta and slept! Broken but still a proud moment bc I didn't revert to Ativan.

So I don't take the benzo drugs but very scarcely. Like once a week

I ended Sero. 1.5 wks ago. Dos didn't know if that was still too soon to stop another since my body hasn't adjusted yet

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Free for the updated info - could you please now put it in your signature so we can give accurate advice?  Otherwise it will just get lost in the thread again.

Thanks - Karen

8 month hold.

I did update, thanks for reminding me.  So if I stopped Sero about 1.5 wks ago, when should I work on tapering Lunesta.....trying to completely NOT destroy my sleep....  Don't want to be too much stress on my brain. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Since you tapered off Seroquel 1.5 weeks ago you should wait at least a month before considering another taper.  Leave the Lunesta as it is for now, until you see how you stabilise after stopping Seroquel.  Otherwise there is the risk of not knowing what is causing what.  

That was a pretty fast tapering off which may also have affected your sleep - how's it all going now? 

Thanks for sorting the signature.

Karen

8 month hold.

• 2 weeks later...

Going good actually. I mean I have bad nights but I overall feel better off of Sero!

• 2 weeks later...

I've successfully tapered off of Seroquel and was using it for sleep. Now I'm trying to taper off of the hellish drug Lunesta!

I haven't really seen any success stories about it and it scares me like it doesn't exist! Please is there anyone out there with one? How did you do it?

I'm taking .5-1mg of Melatonin (can someone pls clarify to right time to take it), Stanard Process Min Tran along with Lunesta. I have a 3mg pill and shaved off a bit the last two nights. I CAN NOT function without sleep. I homeschool own a business and have a hectic life.

Pls help! ????

• Administrator

Please see Tips for tapering off Z drugs for sleep (Ambien, Imovane, Sonata, Lunesta, Intermezzo, etc.)

Use search in the Intro forum to find others who have taken Lunesta. We have many people who have gone off the sleep drugs. It's not as difficult as the longer-acting drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ok I will try again. I feel like I've done that search and still didn't find success stories

So you mean click on the link you provided and then up at the top on right use that search button? Or is there a search button I'm missing within that actual link?

• Moderator Emeritus

You might find using Google to be easier... enter:

survivingantidepressants.org Lunesta     into Google search.  Or you may choose to use both.  Use the forum search in the upper right hand corner of this thread.  Change the default to 'Forums' from 'This topic'.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

freespirit, did your sleep problems start when you went on or increased Celexa?

Antidepressants can cause sleeplessness.

See Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

• 4 months later...

Hi all! It's been ages since I've been on this forum! I've been tapering off of Lunesta so I've been on bezobuddies with help.

So a dr has me on 40mg of Celexa. I really like it actually except the weight gain Ana constipation. I don't plan to be on it forever. But bc of my complaints my new dr said he would recommend me switch over to 20mg of Lexapro. He basically said they have the exact same main ingredient but Celexa is a little more of a dirtier drug and Lexapro is cleaner which means it might not have the unwanted side effects

Anyone switch before?

• Moderator Emeritus

freespirit,

I've moved your post to the Introductions Forum so that more people will see your question.

Lexapro is a very powerful drug as you might have guessed by seeing your doctor's suggestion for equivalent doses. In my brief time here at SA, I've noticed that Lexapro and Paxil seem to be the 2 worst SSRI's to discontinue -- safely or otherwise.

Would you please take a moment to

• post your current medications and doses,
    ---and---
  • update your signature with those meds & doses?

Weight gain and constipation are both reported adverse ("side") effects of Lexapro. Given that these symptoms occurred while you're taking Celexa, Lexapro's slightly less nasty cousinI would put money on Lexapro doing NOTHING to ease or resolve constipation or weight & appetite issues.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Ok thank you and I just updated

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone! It's been a while bc I was tapering off of Lunesta and now that I've successfully accomplished that, I'm in the process of lowering Celexa from 40mg to 30mg.

Any advice? I've been on 30mg for a week now. Super anxious last night and a bit of a blah mood but other than that I'm fine

Anyone here have successful taper from 40mg?

I've been down to 30mg for a week

Edited by scallywag
merged topids

• Moderator Emeritus

How exactly have you been tapering from 40 mg to 30 mg?

I've moved your post asking about tapering Celexa. If you want to read the introduction threads of people who are tapering Celexa (citalopram), click on the "celexa" tag toward the top of the page, just below your iintro thread title. The forum software also lists several threads with the same tag at the bottom of the page, below the "Quick Reply" area.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Just went from 40mg to 30mg

Barely notice a difference

• Moderator Emeritus

Going down from 40 to 30 mg is a 25 % cut. It's big.

On 17 Sept. you write that you were super anxious. That doesn't really agree with your statement that you barely notice a difference. Also, withdrawal is delayed. If you don't want to feel the full scope of it, I would advise updosing a bit. Maybe to 35 mg.

On the first page of your thread there is one link: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

We can come off the drugs but to do it safely and minimise suffering we should inform ourselves as much as we can.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Sorry don't mean to sound contradictory but meaning besides the one night of anxiety I haven't felt anything else and I feel like I created the anxiety myself

Hi Freespirit-- Please reconsider increasing your dose back to 35  or 36 mg. When a person does a large reduction like you have there is frequently a honeymoon period where they feel on top of the world.  This honeymoon usually last between two and six weeks, then the bottom falls out. Once that happens it is VERY hard, VERY painful and takes a VERY long time to get stable again. We have any number of members who can attest to that.  The lost time and extra pain just aren't worth it.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 4 months later...

LEFin thanks for the advice [in this post.]. I've been on 40mg of Celexa for about 16mos and I've started to taper. I'm down to 30mg and I've heard about supplementing with things like GABA LTheanine Trytophan and things like that but here's my question.....what about the serotonin disorder where you can get too much serotonin? And how much should I take of these supplements

Edited by scallywag
moved from Celexa tapering topic, added link to mentioned post

LEFin thanks for the advice. I've been on 40mg of Celexa for about 16mos and I've started to taper. I'm down to 30mg and I've heard about supplementing with things like GABA LTheanine Trytophan and things like that but here's my question.....what about the serotonin disorder where you can get too much serotonin? And how much should I take of these supplements

For me, supplements havent helped me much.  Other than omega 3 and magnesium and the chinese herb i have listed in my signature . Tryptophan made me feel worse agitated.  

Edited by scallywag
moved from Celexa tapering topic

July Medications: Started taking antidepressants in 1981, also benzos off and on; antiphychotics , anti-seizure for years.   Trazodone, Lamotrigine, Klonopin for over 10 years   all at maximum dosages,:Disconcontinued Klonopin in month of February 2011,  discontinued Trazodone and Lamotrigine   in month of March 2011 while in hosptial.  Given Seroquel to "help" go off Klonopin  gradually increased to 600 mg ; doctor took me off 600 mg. Seroquel in two weeks, and switched to Resperidal  because of weight gain on Seroquel, went off Resperidal quickly,   then gradually reinstated  Seroquel to 600 mg. at my request.   Went off Seroquel by myself at 25mg. per month in 2014.     Last medication Seroquel completely off since May 2016. Also went off Morphine at the same time as last 25 mg. of Seroquel in May 2016. Started tapering Celexa 40mg. to 35mg.  on 11 Aug. 2016  ; 16 Oct. Celexa 32.5 mg.; 6 Nov. 2016:  30mg. , 50 mg abt. Feb 26 with occasional 30mg.  , : May 10, 2017 began tapering rapidly because of adverse reaction to Celexa;, 40 mg. Celexa;   May 24, 2017: 35mg Celexa.;  June 8, 2017, 30 mg. Celexa, June 22, 2017 25mg.Celexa,; July 6,2017 20mg. CELEXA, July 20: 15mg.; August 10: Sep 29 2017: 10mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac, 5 Oct, 2017:  5mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac.; Oct. 14 Celexa 0., Prozac 10mg.Took last Prozac on November 22, 2017, Jan. 31 30mg. Cymbalta........ May Cymbalta 90mg.

Supplements Cal/Mag , Potassium, , Multi Vitamin.  digestive aid, antioxidant

Medications presently taking:    Lyrica 150mg. 2x day  , Synthroid 175mcg, Nasonex 2 sprays each nostril, once a day ,     Tylenol  1,000 mg. 2x day., , Restasis eye drops 2x day,  Trazodone 100 mg, Cymbalta 90 mg. Arthrotec 50 mg., Plavix

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi FS,

I've moved you post into your Intro/Update topic because it is about your own situation and will keep your history in one place.

To search SA for existing topics/discussions I use google and type in survivingantidepressants.org + topic. In this instance I typed in Trytophan & LTheanine respectively:

5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-l-tryptophan

l-theanine-for-anxiety-insomnia

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I'm tapering off of Celexa as well. Been on it for about 16 months at 40mg. Started the taper in jan. Count down by 5mg each week so I'm now on 10mg. Some might say this is a fast taper but Bc I'm taking lots of D3, B12 and fish oils, my taper has been easy.

So question to you all who have been on this and now off, do you take a supplement? How do you deal with life? I lead a very stressful life and I have OCD and I can't control my obsessive thoughts and worry. I'm wanting to try 5htp.

I'm just desperately wanting to find someone who's been down the meds route but are successful with supplements now?

It'll suck but if this doesn't work I will just have to get back on Celexa for good. I loved Celexa and it worked very well for me!

First off, I want to say congratulations on your way to being drug free. Personally I would slow down the taper but if you feel any ill effects that are unbearable then it is always wise to reinstate to a dose where you feel better and continue with smaller cuts.

I was on celexa for many years and while it may feel amazing at the beginning of the honeymoon phase, many don't take into account that the drugs eventually change the chemistry of the body. One eventually becomes zombified and feel grey and apathetic day in and day out in the long term and not to mention that it will eventually poop out and stop working. At which point, the doctor will suggest another brand of pill and there's no guarantee the body will adapt to the change. And round and round we go.

I am past my 3 year mark after a decade of antidepressants and still have some healing to go. Only thing that helped heal was time and the occasional use of supplements but even supplements can react in certain ways. They may or may not help but you must do your due diligence and research. 5htp (or tryptophan) may be helpful or not depending on if your body may be too sensitive from the taper to accept it. If that is the case, you can always use 5htp as an alternative for depression once you heal from this taper.

One thing I know for sure is that life is far more colourful now that I am off medication. I wish you well on your journey!

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.