Henk1980: ditching Haldol, Lormetazepam and Mirtazipine

Henk1980

Dear all, 

I have read this forum for a while and it has been a great help to me. Since I am currently tapering, I thought it was time to post about my situation on this site. 

In August 2014, after many years of working very hard, I did not sleep for a week and suffered a (heavy) psychosis. After two days in the hospital, I was allowed home and was prescribed Flurazepam 30 mg daily, and haldol 2mg daily. After a month, I still had psychotic thoughts (delusions) and the Haldol was upped to 4 mg. That helped to combat the psychosis, which slowly dwindled away. In October, the docs wanted me off the (heavy and long acting) Flurazepam, and I switched to 2 mg Lormetazepam daily (not available in the US, but quite common in the Netherlands where I live). 

My first attempt to stop Haldol was in December 2014. I tapered but crashed some two weeks after stopping the medicine completely. I updosed to 2 mg and was fine again. I attempted to stop again in April 2015, crashed again, and was hospitalised again. This time, they also put me on Mirtazapine 30 mg to combat the depression I had developed. 

I kept feeling very poorly and wanted of the meds. So in August 2015 I tapered of the Haldol very fast and quit. I had one or two bad weeks, but it was manageable. I have not taken Haldol since, and feel a little bit better. Having been off the Haldol for three months now, I want to get off the other meds. Together with my doctor we decided to taper the Lormetazepam first and then the Mirtazapine. I went from 2 mg to 1.5 mg Lormetazepam tonight and will hold there for a while.

Ever since I had my psychosis I have felt quite bad. However, I am not sure whether it is due to the psychosis, the ensuing depression, or the meds. All I know is that I have never felt good since having my psychosis. I was off work for basically a year and resumed this academic year. After returning, I did manage to get a permanent position as assistant professor (my work). So, I have no reason to complain whatsoever. Still, it would be nice to feel a little bit better. And I am hoping that once I have ditched all the medication I will feel better again.

I will keep you all posted on the tapering process. Thanks for reading.

Aug 2014-Aug2015: 2 to 4 mg Haldol (quit completely Aug2015)

Aug 2014-Oct2014: 30 mg flurazepam (switched to Lormetazepam)

Nov-2014 - November 2015: 2 mg Lormetazepam (currently tapering, see below). 

December 2015: 1.5 mg Lormetazepam (quit completely Jan 2016 after taper) 

April 2015 - present: 30 mg Mirtazipine (not yet tapering)

• Administrator

Welcome, Henk.

It's very possible your "depression" was due to coming off Haldol too fast, and a withdrawal symptom.

It sounds like you are working with a doctor on tapering lormetazepam. Your tapering schedule is faster than what we would recommend.

Please see Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first? and let's discuss further.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for the quick reply. 

It is indeed very possible that withdrawing from the Haldol gave rise to depressive symptoms, although they did already surface when I was still on Haldol. I often find it difficult to pinpoint an exact cause. 

I read the article, thank you. I think I am suffering adverse affects from the Lormetazepam, so that's why I (we) decided to go off that one first. Also, the lormetazepam actually did not help me sleep (which was a major problem for me for many months). The Mirtazapine helped me sleep. That was another reason why we decided to start with the Lormetazepam. 

Having read the article, I now see that I am taking a risk. I will see how it goes and reinstate if needed (or change plans). What this site has showed me is that acceptance and faith in a good outcome is essential for recovery. I will keep thinking of this while tapering. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Henk and welcome to s/a,

I'm really glad you've found this site and have already been reading various topics.  The more understanding we have of what withdrawal patterns are like, the better we are able to cope with them. 

Would you be able to fill out a signature with your drug and tapering details, so each time we read one of your posts we can easily remember your details?

Good idea to hold for a while at this new level of lormetazepam - allowing the Central Nervous System time to stabilise is so important to successful tapering.  You seem to have a generally cautious approach, which will serve you well.  Although the doc did give you a rather big reduction to start with - how long ago did you do that?

If you haven't already seen it, you may find some good help in this self-care thread.  And I'd like to encourage you that depression does lift - whether it was caused by meds or what.  Mine has lifted a lot since I started tapering 7 months ago.  You will enjoy finding more of yourself emerging.

I'm sure you are going to be fine.  It really is just one step at a time, and remembering to go slowly and gently.  This thread is your own journal where you can record your progress and ask more questions.  Start with these links, and as you are ready we can point you to more info if you want it.

Best wishes,

KarenB 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

My story of healing:ContinuedHealing

***I am not a doctor; please do your own research and be able to take responsibility for decisions you make.*** 

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you KarenB, 

I included a signature. 

Although, as was to be expected, I am sleeping a lot less, I am feeling pretty good now. Better then since a long time. I thought I would use my awake time to post something here again. 

I will post some of the symptoms that I have had over the last couple of months or year

- Poor sleep (this varies, sometimes I sleep well, sometimes poorly). 

- Constant pressure in my head (do not want to call it a headache, but it resembles a headache).

- Depression (is becoming less and less)

- Anhedonia, lethargy, apathy, or whatever you want to call it (since stopping Haldol, this has improved a lot. I think I will improve even more if I stop the Lormetazepam and Mirt). 

- muscle twitches (these come and go. Now they do not bother me that much. They are also less frequent). 

That's it. Pretty common for most folks here I guess. I am quite positive that I will keep improving. 

Ciao, 

Henk

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks, 

apparently I am moving about a lot in my sleep and talk a lot. Seems normal given the benzo reduction.

One thing I struggle with is how to distinguish the effects of my 'underlying condition' (whatever that is) from effects of the meds. For example, during my psychosis (before meds)  I had the feeling and the idea that I was electrified, resulting in shocks of my body. After the psychosis dwindled away, the feeling of electricity running though my body remained and  even intensified when I cut the Haldol. Now it bothers me less. However, I am stil very sensitive to perceiving stuff that happens in my body. For example, I have a constant pressure in my head that developed some months after the psychosis, and now, again, after cutting the benzo this also sometimes intensifies. 

I hope the meds are causing these symptoms (and that when I quit, they will disappear). But the course of events described above also suggests it is not the meds that are causing these symptoms. Still, I want to get of them since that is the best to do, and I feel better without meds, even though some symptoms remain.

• Administrator

You need to be very careful and systematic when you reduce your drugs. Any symptoms mean "stop tapering."

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. A quick update: 

I am doing quite well. Have been very busy working, which is a good thing. 

I am careful tapering, but I have learned that I can handle the cuts suggested by my doctor. I do not have any symptoms. The symptoms I reported on in my previous posts where there before I started tapering and are fading during my taper. So I guess that I can decrease the benzo a bit quicker than expected. Whenever I make a cut, I feel better. 

My sleep is pretty good. Sometimes I sleep a bit less. However, I do not worry about it and still feel pretty good. When I was feeling very sick, not sleeping was brutal and I would feel very bad about it. Now I am calmer, which suggests to me that I improving.

I can't wait to also taper of the Mirtazipine. However, from Februari till July I have a busy working schedule, and I do not want to take any risks. So I will start tapering of the Mirtazipine at the end of July.

I hope all of you have a great holiday. Merry Christmas!

Henk 

• Moderator Emeritus

It's good to hear you are fairly symptom-free right now.  That's got to be a bonus for over the holidays. 

It's worth remembering that the reason for the 10% taper is to avoid symptoms that show up much later, even though all appears fine at the moment.  It's the long-term we are thinking of here.

Go gently...

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

***I am not a doctor; please do your own research and be able to take responsibility for decisions you make.*** 

For some reason I sleep more now that I have decreased the benzo. 

These meds are strange....

• Moderator Emeritus

Bodies that are healing need extra sleep.  Go with it. 

8 month hold.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, 

an update: I have been of the sleeping pills for about a month now. I have not noticed anything, apart from the fact that sometimes I go to bed a little bit late and have trouble falling asleep. So no withdrawal symptoms. In general, I feel a little bit better. I feel a bit more alive, a bit more active, etc. I had bad effects when I quit the Haldol. Quitting the lormetazepam was relatively easy for me (I know this is not true for many others!)

The trauma, me feeling sick, etc.: it all still fades away very slowly. Given more time I am confident that I will keep on improving.  Here's an observation: 

When I was feeling very sick (or depressed, caused by meds or whatever) I felt like I had no control whatsoever over my situation. It felt like my brain and body were chemically altered. I felt physically sick. I received therapy, and did not think it helped me at all. I received medication, and it did not really help me (you just feel numb). I exercised intensively for 4 months, and it did not help me at all: I would feel better for about 10 minutes and would then feel like **** again. So I quit exercise. I became convinced of the truth of the most biological and reductionist psychiatrist teachings: I felt like I suffered from a brain disease or neurological condition. I know this is not a popular view on this site, but this is how I experienced my disease. The only difference between my views at the time and those of hardcore biological psychiatrist was that I felt medications were useless and harmful. Finally, I had no idea that I would feel psychically sick (not mentally sick. You don't feel "mentally ill", if you understand what I mean). It became painfully clear that there is no strict distinction between mind and body. Because of these feelings, I became annoyed with all the advice I got: "You should exercise", "you should think positively", "you should think differently", "You should....." etc. This advice was useless to me. As I said, I felt as if I had no control whatsoever over my situation whatsoever.

Now I am slowly improving. And lo and behold: now I am starting to believe that I actually do have control over my situation. I am slowly becoming more active, am enjoying activities and work more and more, etc. I even look more positively at the advice I received. I do not feel like my old self, but I think I behave more and more like my old self. In addition, I do not really remember my old self anymore. Finally, I am thinking of my situation a lot less than I used to. Now I am more consumed with thinking about normal activities (work, family, etc.). It's funny how your views and perceptions fluctuate. 

So I am recovering, that's for sure. To all of you struggling: hang on. It will get better!   

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear all, 

I have read this forum for a while and it has been a great help to me. Since I am currently tapering, I thought it was time to post about my situation on this site. 

In August 2014, after many years of working very hard, I did not sleep for a week and suffered a (heavy) psychosis. After two days in the hospital, I was allowed home and was prescribed Flurazepam 30 mg daily, and haldol 2mg daily. After a month, I still had psychotic thoughts (delusions) and the Haldol was upped to 4 mg. That helped to combat the psychosis, which slowly dwindled away. In October, the docs wanted me off the (heavy and long acting) Flurazepam, and I switched to 2 mg Lormetazepam daily (not available in the US, but quite common in the Netherlands where I live). 

My first attempt to stop Haldol was in December 2014. I tapered but crashed some two weeks after stopping the medicine completely. I updosed to 2 mg and was fine again. I attempted to stop again in April 2015, crashed again, and was hospitalised again. This time, they also put me on Mirtazapine 30 mg to combat the depression I had developed. 

I kept feeling very poorly and wanted of the meds. So in August 2015 I tapered of the Haldol very fast and quit. I had one or two bad weeks, but it was manageable. I have not taken Haldol since, and feel a little bit better. Having been off the Haldol for three months now, I want to get off the other meds. Together with my doctor we decided to taper the Lormetazepam first and then the Mirtazapine. I went from 2 mg to 1.5 mg Lormetazepam tonight and will hold there for a while.

Ever since I had my psychosis I have felt quite bad. However, I am not sure whether it is due to the psychosis, the ensuing depression, or the meds. All I know is that I have never felt good since having my psychosis. I was off work for basically a year and resumed this academic year. After returning, I did manage to get a permanent position as assistant professor (my work). So, I have no reason to complain whatsoever. Still, it would be nice to feel a little bit better. And I am hoping that once I have ditched all the medication I will feel better again.

I will keep you all posted on the tapering process. Thanks for reading.

Hi Henk, 

Thanks for sharing your story.  I'm wondering if you have any insight as to why you became sleepless for that week before the psychosis?  Were there any recreational drug taking prior to that? It does seem odd that you had the electrified sensation.  

I'm glad you've joined us :-)

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

Hi SquirrellyGirl, 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my psychosis and lack of sleep coincided. It was my psychosis, more specifically my delusions and the physical sensations that accompanied them, that kept me awake.  When you are consumed by your delusions, it is hard to feel asleep.

The meds did help me sleep better for a while. They numb you, soften the delusions, and calm you down. Other than that, they are pretty useless.  

I did not take any drugs (I have never used drugs, except for some very occasional pot when I was in my teens, more than 10 years ago). I have also not consumed any alcohol for years.  

• Administrator

Henk, good to hear from you. You are on solely 30mg mirtazapine now?

It sounds like it's very, very important for you to maintain good sleep. Sleeplessness is known to induce psychosis-like symptoms in many people, you may be particularly susceptible to this.

Please see Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems  and consider non-drug ways to improve your sleep habits. This will help you as you reduce mirtazapine.

Hi Altostrata, 

Thank you for the reply. Yes, The Mirtazapine (30mg) is the last drug I am on. I would like to start tapering immediately. However, I have a busy working schedule in the next six months. So I will take it easy and only start the taper somewhere in July. I expect quitting Mirtazapine will be a lot more difficult than quitting the Lormetazepam. But I am prepared and will take it slow. 

You are definitely right about the importance of sleep. In fact, all my psychiatrists, family members, and everyone else around me in the last year has stressed the importance of sleep (this was one thing everyone agreed about). I also heard that it was quite uncommon, even for people with psychosis, to not sleep at all for a week. So this was an issue from the start. Unfortunately, my lack of sleep, which plagued me for a long time, partly led to me being prescribed all these drugs (you can tell they thought about sleep when prescribing Haldol, Lormetazepam, and Mirtazapine: they are all strong sedatives). They helped with sleep a little bit, but the quality of my sleep deteriorated. When I was healthy, I was a bad sleeper but my sleep was very deep and I would feel rested some hours after I woke up. On the meds, my sleep was still pretty bad and I never felt rested (I did not seem to experience any deep sleep).

Now that I am of the meds, the quality of my sleep is improving, although I sleep a little bit less. So, this is also returning to normal. I have looked at the tips in the threads you linked to, and have already incorporated some of the tips. Right now, sleep is not a big problem. I am content with how things are going.

Thanks again!   

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Update: I am doing quite well. For my new job I am working non stop. This is no problem though. I do not feel depressed anymore.

There really is nothing to complain about. I feel as if I am over the line. Still on the Mirt, but I do not forsee any problems when quitting in juli. The worst part is behind me. I also do not have the time to feel ill. It helps being occupied.

Good luck everybody! Things will get better. Also, if you are able to work or be occupied in Some other way, go for it. It helps (I know it is not easy, I was unable to function for a year).

• Moderator Emeritus

So good to hear Henk - and we really appreciate you popping in with such an encouraging update.

8 month hold.

• 3 weeks later...

hi all, 

update. Still  doing good. Working my a** off, which is a good thing.

I am noticing a trend. When people are doing better, they often seem to post here less and less.

Can we do some statistics on threads of people who have said they are recovering or doing better and check how long it takes before people start posting less and less? That way we can get some timeframe of how long recovery lasts for these people (this is not a universally valid measure of course, and it does not tell us much, but it does provide some important information).

Good luck everybody!

• 2 months later...

Hi people, 

Update. I finished a long, hectic period of working a lot (roughly four months). In general, I am doing very well. Working has been a blessing. However, when I have days off, I usually crash and stay in bed for a long time. Something I need to work on I guess. 

In the coming months I will start tapering the Mirtazapine (the last med I am on). We will see how it goes. I will take things slowly. 

Many people who visited this site when I was frequently reading have stopped posting. I hope this is because they are recovering. My experience is that when you are recovering, you read less and less about your condition, and you start focusing more and more on other things. 

Good luck everybody

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for updating Henk. Its good to hear you're doing so well. Do you have the mirtazapine topic for when you're ready to start tapering? Well here's a link to it anyway.

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

I agree with your theory that as people recover they visit the site less often.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

still the same, which is pretty good.

I am a bit scared of tapering the Mirtazapine, I must be honest. Things have been pretty good since February 1 (I have basically felt like myself), and I am afraid things will get worse when I quit the medication. Does anyone have experience with this? Any tips?  What is rational?

I started feeling better when I started working full time and quit Haldol and the sleeping medication. I have no reason to doubt things will continue to improve. But, since i almost feel like my old self, I am starting to worry a bit that things will get worse when I taper and quit. 

Hi Henk.  That's a positive update which is what we love to hear.  It's great that you are feeling more like yourself and realize that you do have a certain amount of control now that you're more informed about the drugs.

There is every reason to believe that you can taper off the Mirtazapine successfully if you follow the principles that we adhere to, as you're no doubt quite familiar with by now.

You already know to keep it slow and stable, with long holds between cuts if you're feeling symptomatic. If you listen to your body and take it at your own pace you really can't go too far wrong. It's usually only when impatience wins out and tapering becomes too fast as a result, that you can run into trouble and delay the whole process in the long term. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

It would probably be a good idea to read through the tips for tapering Mirtazapine ( link above) again and come back with any other questions you may have about it.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Agreed with AliG.  Since you are trepidatious, just go really slow!  You can do less than 10% per month if that eases your mind.  There's no rule here other than to not push it too fast.  As Ali said, listen to your body.

I've been tapering Mirt and find that 5% every two weeks is very comfortable.  My doctor dropped me 20% from 37.5 mg to 30 mg when I reinstated Effexor, and I had numb lips and tongue as a result, and some fleeting headaches.  I've been doing over-all less than 10% per month (holding longer periods at times due to unusual circumstances) and have had very little in the way of WD symptoms.  Periodic diarrhea is the most notable.  I am now down to 11.8 mg.

Slow and steady!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679