SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

FunkyBaboon Writing my introductory post is hard write now

FunkyBaboon

Just spoke with my pharmacy, they say that they just order nortryptyline and get what they're given.

He said he's going to order some in from several of their various suppliers to see if he can get the tablets supplied loose (not in foil strips) as they used to have them and they should have some in stock tomorrow.

Thing is I don't know which manufacturer I was taking before because they used to give me my tablets in generic Brown click-top pots. Hopefully they'll be able to find some of the tablets I used to take previously and then I'll be able to make a note of the manufacturer so I can request them specifically in the future...

A convenient link to my introduction post

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Diazepam 10mg - took approximately 100 tablets.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Apr 2013 Completely off Citalopram and continued to have severe withdrawal.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FunkyBaboon

• Ali4

• Africa

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had a brain wave and am pretty sure the tablets used to have "KING" written on one side.

So I look up "king nortryptyline" on Google and sure enough King Pharmaceuticals Ltd make 10mg nortryptyline tablets.

So I call the pharmacy with this revelation and the pharmacist said, "well like I said we can't order specific brands, so I've ordered nortryptyline from various suppliers and I'll see what turns up tomorrow and if king tablets turn up I'll put them to one side for you".

Does anyone else in the UK have problems getting a consistent brand?

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.

My sleep was no good either, up every hour with these head sensations, though I was having mini seizures ???????? it is so scary, sorry you didn't have a good night either. Ali.

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

Hey Ali - I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a good night either ????

I think mini seizures is a really good description of what happens. To me they feel like a cross between a mini panic attacks and mini seizure.

Yeah, they're pretty scary. After I had spent about 90 minutes trying to get to sleep and failing due to these frights I called my dad at about 330am. Luckily he's in a different time zone so was only 1030pm for him. It's really nice to talk to someone for a bit when you've been through that.

Lets hope we both have a better night tonight huh? ☺

I'm due a check up for my CPAP in May. They said they may need to do a full overnight polysomnography on me so I'm going to try and push for that to see exactly what is going on in my sleep...

They monitor brain waves so if there is any seizure-like activity going on then they should pick it up.

Here is too hoping, right now I'm a complete basket case and crying, it's not a good day, I just want to go home, came down to visit family in hopes of getting my mind off things and it has been an epic fail and I'm now regretting it. Ali.

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Hey Ali, don't worry these things aren't permanent they're transitory.

Unfortunately fear also plays into them and makes them worse too so it's important that we both try and remain calm in the face of this and things will improve, I promise.

Sorry to hear that heading down to see the family isn't panning out so well. What's happening that is upsetting you?

*hugs*

Just the syptoms getting hold of me and causing me to panick and have a melt down, somehow it brings relief to have a good old cry, I want to stay the remainder of the trip, but I feel like such ****, I just keep going back and fourth, I'll stay, no I want to go, like yo yo brain right now Plus I'm babysitting my 2 year old niece a couple days and well babies are a handful lol....... Thanks for being here for support funky, I appreciate your kind words. Ali.

Hi Funky

When I changed doctors 6 weeks ago he wrote a prescription for Paroxetine and I was given the generic Paroxetine. I called him back to say that I had heard a lot of people who have had adverse reactions taking the generic brand and because I was having problems coming off it that I would like the Seroxat. The doctor was a bit hesitant because he said it costs the NHS so much more but he did do a new prescription which reads *patient needs Seroxat due to reaction to the generic Paroxetine" It was ordered in for me which took a day longer and I was given the Seroxat.

I hope you have a better night and manage to get some sleep.

Hugs

Africa

<p>February 2009 started taking Paroxetine 10 mg everyday. Reducing very slowly in February 2015.15

December 2015 was on 5 mg Paroxetine 4 days a week and 7.5 mg 3 days a week.

Severe withdrawal. Back to 7.5mg everyday from today 25 March 2016  7.1 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 23 May 2016   6.7 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 6 weeks) 4 July 2016   6.3 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks). 2 September 2016  5.9 mg (stayed on this dose for 10 weeks) 9 November 2016  5.6 mg (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 4 January 2017  5.3 mg (stayed on this dose for 6 weeks) 20 February 2017  5 mg (it's taken me 2 year to get half way!!) (stayed on this dose for 4 months) 20 June 2017   4.6 mg (stayed on this dose for 5 months ) 27 November 2017   4.2 mg (stayed on this dose for 7 months) 17 June 2018   3.9 mg (stayed on this dose for 7 months) 22 January 2019   3.5 mg {stayed on this dose for 2 years) 16 January 2021   3.2 mg 

3 April 2021  3mg

Heya Africa - that's great to know. Glad you managed to get the brand you're used to. Seroxat was the brand I used to take back in 2003, such fond memories :-P

I'm due to change doctors again when I move down to the south west so I'll make sure to specify "KING" is the only brand I get on with. I'm really hoping nothing happens to "KING", like going bust or being part of a merger because I need consistentcy as I try and get off these lower doses.

Yeah, I'm hoping for better night tonight and not going to dwell on what happened last night!

How are you getting on today?

This evening has been much better. After sleeping for 9 hours last night my physical symptoms, although still present, are at a much reduced level.

My sister came over again tonight to assist me with packing for my move. I am so grateful for the help, it has really calmed me down.

Just sat watching a bit of TV while I wait to get tired. I'm wearing some orange lensed safety goggles in an attempt to block blue light so that it doesn't affect my melatonin levels.

Hoping for another decent sleep tonight. Will check in again tomorrow...

Hope you're all keeping okay!

Still curious to know...

Is it possible to have a crash several months down the line on a long hold?

I know that delayed crashes are possible many months after complete cessation, so can same happen during a hold?

Struggling to sleep again tonight. Just lying here with CPAP machine on and brain just won't shut down.

Every time I approach the point of sleep it's almost like a crescendo of awareness of my body occurs. The pins and needles in my hands and feet just builds up and up to a point where it's almost painful and then I have what feels like (as Ali4 described) a micro seizure and then I'm fully awake with what feels like an adrenaline rush.

Any ideas on what I can do to get my sleeping back on track?

Oh Funky, I've just read your post and you must feel shattered! I hope you're sleeping now.

When you asked whether you can still get these symptoms even after a long hold I would say yes. I have been holding now for 4 months and I have weeks where my physical symptoms just flare up. For example a few weeks ago my toes got such bad pins and needles that it was so painful to walk. Then last Sunday I had the needling all over my body which just freaked me out! I just think that only once these drugs are completely out of our systems can we heal properly and that could also take some time. 

I also totally think that if we don't get enough sleep and are bodies are fatigued our symptoms are slightly worse. I know that I get those internal tremors for hours if I am tired and my forehead almost feels completely numb.

Your sister sounds so kind and actually it's quite comforting to have someone with you that you can feel relaxed with.  

I'm sure your new GP will give you the original drug. I'm not a forceful person at all but I knew that I had to be firm about asking for the Seroxat and stress that I was not prepared to go through any more struggles than I had to.  

I hope you have a better day and I'm thinking of you.

Hugs

Africa

<p>February 2009 started taking Paroxetine 10 mg everyday. Reducing very slowly in February 2015.15

Severe withdrawal. Back to 7.5mg everyday from today 25 March 2016  7.1 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 23 May 2016   6.7 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 6 weeks) 4 July 2016   6.3 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks). 2 September 2016  5.9 mg (stayed on this dose for 10 weeks) 9 November 2016  5.6 mg (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 4 January 2017  5.3 mg (stayed on this dose for 6 weeks) 20 February 2017  5 mg (it's taken me 2 year to get half way!!) (stayed on this dose for 4 months) 20 June 2017   4.6 mg (stayed on this dose for 5 months ) 27 November 2017   4.2 mg (stayed on this dose for 7 months) 17 June 2018   3.9 mg (stayed on this dose for 7 months) 22 January 2019   3.5 mg {stayed on this dose for 2 years) 16 January 2021   3.2 mg 

3 April 2021  3mg

Funky,

Sorry you didn't get any sleep and I too hope you are sleeping now, don't worry my friend, we will conquer this monster. Ali.

Hello,

Thank you Africa!

Ali4 - Did you get some better sleep last night?

I eventually managed to sleep on and off from about 6am through until about 2:30pm.

It's a tricky one because I need to sleep otherwise I will go downhill both mentally & physically and will experience an increase in my physical symptoms but I've got to move house this weekend and my sleeping pattern is almost nocturnal right now so not sure how I am going to cope with that.

Just read TommyG's success story and he mentioned that melatonin was really good for his sleep. I'd like to give melatonin a go but don't know where to get that in the UK. Does anyone have any ideas?

I went back to the pharmacy and managed to swap my tablets out for the ones that were supplied loose. I turns out that they weren't "KING" but I did recognise both the box and the tablets themselves. They were manufactured by Lime Pharma and I have definitely been prescribed these before. He very kindly gave me the box so that I can request this specific brand in the future when I move down to the countryside.

Over the past few days I've noticed myself becoming more hyper aware of my physical symptoms such as pins and needles, numbness and coldness. I'm trying to ignore this as much as possible and get on with things because I'm sure that focusing on the symptoms causes me to engage in health anxiety checking behaviours, which increase my anxiety level further and I'm guessing this further disturbs sleep and causes an increase in my symptoms - a vicious circle. Has anybody else noticed this happen to them?

Looking forward to getting back onto the same medication I've been on for the past few months... and hoping for a better night of sleep tonight! 

Funky,

I slept ok, up and down and today I'm just existing, mentally that's how it feels anyways, no feelings of " mini seizures" through the night, so that's a positive I guess. Going to go home today, need to be in my own home for comfort. Funky I have used melatonin and it works like a charm, if I were you I would give it a go, if you can't get it there let me know, I'll mail it too you I'm always hyper aware of my symptoms and it makes things worse, I've been good and stayed off google, but my brain keeps reminding me, it's a vicious cycle lol. Hope today is better for us. Hugs Ali.

Hi Funky

I'm glad you got some sleep even though it was during the day. Funky, my eldest son takes Melatonin at night because he struggles to get to sleep from all his anxiety. It's called Circadin in the UK and he takes one or two 2mg tablets depending on how much he needs. It works really well and he has no side effects. Your GP will prescribe it for you. I definitely think by getting proper sleep you will feel your symptoms lesson.

I hope you and Ali4 start feeling better.

Thinking of you during your move.

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

How are you doing funky?

Struggling to sleep again tonight. Just lying here with CPAP machine on and brain just won't shut down.

Every time I approach the point of sleep it's almost like a crescendo of awareness of my body occurs. The pins and needles in my hands and feet just builds up and up to a point where it's almost painful and then I have what feels like (as Ali4 described) a micro seizure and then I'm fully awake with what feels like an adrenaline rush.

Any ideas on what I can do to get my sleeping back on track?

This is a " cortisol  rush ". an example of the body " auto - correcting " , as in trying to maintain , or get back to homeostasis.

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hey Ali4 - I think I'm doing much better today than I have the rest of the week.

It's the second day I'm back on my old tablet brand and I've stopped taking my vegetarian multi vitamin and my omega-3 supplement in case they're rocking the boat at this stage.

I've realised I've had a setback and that I need everything to be as calm and stable as possible while I try to recover again. Unfortunately, I've got to move across the country in the meantime, which is invariably a stressor in itself. Hoping that by this time next week when I'm moved in with the folks that I will be able to relax and get on with the healing...

Hope that sleep is better tonight again, fingers crossed!

AliG - thanks for the link, I appreciate it. I had a quick read and it seems to make sense. For me I only ever get these when I'm trying to fall asleep and never really have anything like that in the morning. In the mornings I can go straight back to sleep again easily without any problems. It seems the problem is transitioning into sleep after a full day of being awake... I have had problems with this on and off for the past four years but it seems to be exacerbated by stress and by dose reductions. Sometimes I go weeks without having these problems... It's very odd and really unsettling when it happens!

Okay so I'm in bed with CPAP again tonight and I'm trying to sleep and I still get alerted awake each time I'm just about to fall asleep. However, tonight the intensity of these jolts awake is lessened and much more bearable.

The most recent episode was because I had opened my mouth and the air was escaping through my mouth. The sensation of this alerted my brain and it woke me up with a jolt.

It's as if my brain is on high alert and sees these sensations as danger...

• Moderator Emeritus

"It's as if my brain is on high alert and sees these sensations as danger..."

I think you may have hit the nail on the head.  Your brain is being hyper-vigilant.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Funky,

I noticed you asked about melatonin on someone's thread. If the UK is like Australia, you can't buy it OTC, but can bring it in from somewhere else. I got some to try from iHerb.com. It didn't help me much, but it was good to be able to try it.

Here is our melatonin thread for more information:  Melatonin for sleep - Surviving Antidepressants

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hey funky,

You get shortness of breath with your reductions? Hope you had a better sleep. Ali.

Hello all

Today has been horrible. I only managed about three hours of poor sleep last night and today was the day I was supposed to be loading up the rental van for the move to the countryside.

The pressure of everything I had to do whilst feeling so tired and exhausted got to me and I broke down in tears. My brain has been completely non functional I couldn't think about how to load the van, I couldn't remember where anything was and could not make decisions to save my life.

Needless to say total panic set in because I didn't know how I was going to get my stuff moved half way across the country.

I called my dad and he told me to go back to bed. I did that and almost got to sleep but then the phone rang just as I was nodding off and got my nervous system all alarmed again.

My CNS is in total meltdown today. My body temperature is all over the place. I've lost 2.5kg (5.5lbs) in the past week and I don't know how to get myself out of this downward spiral of not being able to sleep and then not being able to cope with the days and that further ruining my sleep.

It seems as though my nervous system has crashed again and I just feel so unwell, walking around with constant fear in my stomach, with a dry mouth, with my mind racing and muscles tensing/twitching.

In a week I should be moved down to the countryside and then I should have nothing to do and will be able to rest properly.

I've thought about up dosing by 1mg but don't know if that'll just make things worse? I'm reluctant to take any other vitamins or minerals because I think they'll just exacerbate my already destabilised nervous system.

Ideally I need a non drug coping mechanism to get me through the next few days and to improve my sleep. Does anybody have any ideas?

Help!

Can't sleep again. Seriously considering an updose before I completely fall apart. Please advise ????

Been laying here for an hour and a half. Did yoga and breathing exercises before I got into bed. Did progressive muscle relaxation once I got into bed.

Just laying here doing my best to meditate on my breath but my breathing feels so weak. All my muscles feel tense and I am hyperaware of every sound and bodily sensation. I've barely slept this week so I'd have thought I'd be shattered but there just seems to be this level of nervous energy that breaks through any kind of tiredness.

Chamomile bed time tea and A lavender Epsom salt bath helps. Hugs Ali

How long have you been on current dose?

Also getting the burning in the finger tips the closer I get to the point of falling asleep but I never actually seem to get there...

Current dose been on that for 5 months

Can't sleep again. Seriously considering an updose before I completely fall apart. Please advise

I've been going through the cortisol surges/panic attacks for several months myself. As to why or how to improve sleep? I've been attempting to find some kind of, any kind of, pattern that I could exploit to my advantage to subdue them. Unfortunately- I've yet to find a definitive 'this will cure ya'.

That being said- I guess the best that can be said is: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy- Mindfulness Meditation. Unfortunately- my meditation exercises often end up with me falling asleep. But not for long. At best- they turn out to be power naps.

Chamomille tea? I have a cuppa of it on my bathroom sink for the inevitable call of nature in the middle of the night. A few sips and it's back to bed.

Of late- I may be detecting a lessening of intensity in my surges. Which means instead of waking up from a dream within a few seconds, I seem to be going through most of the dream before waking. After waking, I invariably have to get up, remove the cpap mask, and go to the bathroom (loo) for a bit.  Sip some tea and try again in bed. At best- during the C/S (cortisol surges) waves, I can maybe get 5-6 hours of very interrupted sleep during weekdays. Weekends I don't have to go to work or face crap- I tend to relax enough to get as much as 7 hours a night.  Results vary. Sometimes I can nap with no C/S. often I get C/S regardless.

I wish I could point you in a certain direction and say that this will work. I'd be lying if I did.

The only thing I can do is say- this is what I've tried. This is what works for me. Or worked once in a great while.  It seems to me that my body adapts itself to what ever I can come up with- and overcomes it eventually. 

Good Luck.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

Can't sleep again. Seriously considering an updose before I completely fall apart. Please advise

FB.  I don't believe an updose , will  help at this point . Your CNS needs stability and if you can ride this out , it should settle down fairly soon. You might try magnesium. I have found it helpful for relaxation and sleep. Perhaps, even some melatonin could help, at a low starting dose.

The " nervous energy " is Cortisol .  The body's way of " auto - correcting ". Staying calm is important - maybe try some meditation.

My advice would be to accept it , for now .  It won't always be this way . It will get better, in time .

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hope you doing well funky. Ali

• 2 months later...

Hello, it's been a few months so I thought I'd give an update.

When I last updated I was having a pretty severe crash after a reasonably long dosage hold (5 months). At the time I was really confused as to why I was having a crash whilst still being medicated and after having held on 10mg for so long, and because I couldn't understand it, it really scared me.

Thankfully, right now I am in a much better place than I was back then but it hasn't been an entirely smooth ride and there have been plenty of ups and downs. As I'm currently not working I've had plenty of time to do my own research to try and arrive at an understanding of what exactly happened to me back then.

I think the crash was caused by several compounding factors:-

• My being angry and upset, hence stressed about my situation at work just prior to leaving
  • The prospect of my upcoming move half way across the country
  • The fear of the unknown, leaving my job to focus on recovery
  • Periods of intense exercise, regularly running 5 & 10k on the treadmill at personal best speeds

Given that my crashes basically result in a temporary worsening of my autonomic nervous system problems, I started looking for information on healing naturally from autonomic nervous system problems and found the following site, which offers a really good article on dysautonomia:

http://www.holistichelp.net/dysautonomia-autonomic-nervous-system-dysfunction.html

On this site they list the stressors that can affect the autonomic nervous system. As I don't expect all of you to read the above link in its entirety I will copy & paste the list of the possible stressors below:

1. Emotional stress - this is the form of stress most people are familiar with and what comes to mind when they think of the term. This may include loss of any kind like a divorce or break up, loss of a job, loss of abilities or characteristics, depression, conflict in relationships, financial struggles, internal conflict, childhood abuse or neglect, dysfunctional or toxic relationships, employment issues etc.
  2. Cognitive stress - unrealistic demands or expectations for yourself and/or your life, trying to live up to expectations of others, keeping up with the Jones's, seeing the glass half empty, catastrophizing or awfulizing.
  3. Sensory stress - chronic pain, loud noise, constant stimulation from external sources.
  4. Metabolic stress - syndrome x, too much exercise, pH, blood sugar, hypoglycemia.
  5. Toxic stress - I usually refer to this as environmental toxins. It includes things like heavy metal toxicity, amalgam fillings, mercury in your food, air pollution, electrosmog, pesticides, herbicides, mold mycotoxins, disinfectants, perfume, air fresheners etc.
  6. Immune stress - food allergies or sensitivities, inflammation, autoimmune disorders.
  7. Endocrine and neurotransmitter stress - adrenal glands, cortisol, thyroid disorders, hormonal imbalances, menopause, andropause, insulin, dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine, GABA etc.
  8. Purposelessness stress - I call this spiritual stress. Lack of meaning and purpose in life, inability to find gratitude, lack of love and empathy, not connected to the Universe, loss of self.
  9. Infectious stress - Candida, parasites, viruses, bacteria, lyme etc.
  10. Oxidative stress - veins and arteries, emphysema, lack of fresh air, sleep apnea, phase 1 and phase 2 detoxification.
  11. Energetic stress - electromagnetic fields from cell phones, electronics etc., geopathic.
  12. Structural stress - spine alignment, posture, TMJ, cranio-sacral, physical trauma, etc.

From this list I can see that I had really maxed out on emotional stress, cognitive stress, metabolic stress, and purposelessness stress and it's no wonder that I had the crash when I did.

Another thing that I've noticed is that the degree I suffer is strongly linked to the amount of fear I have about my circumstance and my horrible symptoms. 

I had another setback when I went on a holiday with my parents to France, my sleep went downhill and my physical symptoms worsened. This was in much the same way that happened three months ago but with much less intensity.

At the moment I am doing okay. I'm mostly sleeping relatively well and I am trying to maintain hope that there are various lifestyle and diet changes I might be able to make that could improve my condition somewhat. I'm booked in to see a nutritionist on Monday to discuss some of the things I've read online with regards to diet & withdrawal / autonomic nervous system issues so hopefully she can make some suitable recommendations. I'm just hoping she has experience with vegans.

My yoga instructor insisted that I book an appointment with a chiropractor she highly recommends. Apparently, he's very knowledgeable about the nervous system and she reckons he has a sixth sense for these kinds of problems so I went ahead and booked an appointment on Monday to see him too.

One rather off-putting symptom that has reared its ugly head again is that I'm having trouble initiating swallowing. I used to have this problem during Citalopram withdrawal but I haven't had it for a couple of years now but it has come back again. I don't have a problem every time I go to swallow but it does happen from time to time and it's really anxiety provoking for me, it feels as if the swallow reflex is getting stuck and I can't coordinate my throat muscles properly.

I continue to take things one day at a time and realise that I'm in for the long haul with all of this. I'm travelling to the USA to spend time with my father in a couple of weeks and I'm considering making my next dose reduction soon after I get there. I'd have really hoped that I'd be feeling better than I do after such a long hold at 10mg but realise this is probably the best I'm going to be right now so I can't put off the inevitable forever. My doctor very kindly put together a letter for me to explain that I'll be travelling with digital weighing scales, a razor blade and empty pill capsules in relation to my tapering efforts. These will be travelling in the hold luggage of course, not in my hand luggage :)

I intend to make a 7.5% reduction from 10mg down to 9.25mg and see how I get on with that. If I experience any substantial withdrawal issues with that then I will likely be attempting a 5% drop next time around. I'm so damn sensitive to these medications, arggghhhh :)

Having been unemployed for a couple of months now and not having anything to really get up for each day I think I need to start thinking about how I should fill my time and feel like I have a purpose. I spend a lot of time playing computer games to while away the hours but the kinds of games I play are probably pretty bad stressors in themselves. I tend to play first person shooters, which require fairly rapid reactions and being attacked in the game can be quite a stressful experience in itself. I'm hoping that if I limit my exposure to the game to a few hours a week then I can continue to play without it being of detriment to my recovery.

Has anybody got any ideas on how I can get some kind of purpose back in life?