SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Africa: Pins and needles as well as numbness in my toes, feet, arms and hands

Africa

Hi NZ11

I think you're right and will ask for the liquid when I start to decrease again. I was exactly the same when first looking up paroxetine and didn't realise it was also called paxil.

I didn't have a good day today because I looked up the symptoms of MS and so many of mine came up. My first symptom literally happened overnight when I woke up with pins and needles in my toes and then it wasall downhill from there the last 2 and a half weeks. I believe with MS one of the first symptoms is visual problems which touch wood I haven't had but I as much as I try and reassure myself I still have these times of great anxiety. I wish I didn't but it's so difficult not to even when I do read the symptom checker.

I hope you are well

Africa

<p>February 2009 started taking Paroxetine 10 mg everyday. Reducing very slowly in February 2015.15

December 2015 was on 5 mg Paroxetine 4 days a week and 7.5 mg 3 days a week.

Severe withdrawal. Back to 7.5mg everyday from today 25 March 2016  7.1 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 23 May 2016   6.7 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 6 weeks) 4 July 2016   6.3 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks). 2 September 2016  5.9 mg (stayed on this dose for 10 weeks) 9 November 2016  5.6 mg (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 4 January 2017  5.3 mg (stayed on this dose for 6 weeks) 20 February 2017  5 mg (it's taken me 2 year to get half way!!) (stayed on this dose for 4 months) 20 June 2017   4.6 mg (stayed on this dose for 5 months ) 27 November 2017   4.2 mg (stayed on this dose for 7 months) 17 June 2018   3.9 mg (stayed on this dose for 7 months) 22 January 2019   3.5 mg {stayed on this dose for 2 years) 16 January 2021   3.2 mg 

3 April 2021  3mg

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Africa

• FunkyBaboon

• grandmaD

• SquirrellyGirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Funky

I didn't know you could get a digital scale that measures milligrams. I will go onto Amazon and have a look at it. I definitely need to change to ether the liquid or use the digital cutter when I have to decrease again.

I'll do whatever it takes to get better! Thank you.

Africa

<p>February 2009 started taking Paroxetine 10 mg everyday. Reducing very slowly in February 2015.15

Severe withdrawal. Back to 7.5mg everyday from today 25 March 2016  7.1 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 23 May 2016   6.7 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 6 weeks) 4 July 2016   6.3 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks). 2 September 2016  5.9 mg (stayed on this dose for 10 weeks) 9 November 2016  5.6 mg (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 4 January 2017  5.3 mg (stayed on this dose for 6 weeks) 20 February 2017  5 mg (it's taken me 2 year to get half way!!) (stayed on this dose for 4 months) 20 June 2017   4.6 mg (stayed on this dose for 5 months ) 27 November 2017   4.2 mg (stayed on this dose for 7 months) 17 June 2018   3.9 mg (stayed on this dose for 7 months) 22 January 2019   3.5 mg {stayed on this dose for 2 years) 16 January 2021   3.2 mg 

3 April 2021  3mg

Hey Africa,

How are you getting on? I'm guessing your blood levels should be starting to stabilise again. I hope you've not been spending too much time symptom searching online that's a sure fire way to scare yourself senseless!

Hope you're doing better.

Funky

A convenient link to my introduction post

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Diazepam 10mg - took approximately 100 tablets.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Apr 2013 Completely off Citalopram and continued to have severe withdrawal.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.

Hi NZ11

I think you're right and will ask for the liquid when I start to decrease again.

Hi Africa yep getting self informed sure can be a humiliating activity.

Just wanted to point out that some consider going to liquid 'a cut' in and of itself so you might want to consider going  to liq on current dose sit for a few weeks say and then carry on with the taper.

Just a thought.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hey Africa,

How are you getting on? I'm guessing your blood levels should be starting to stabilise again. I hope you've not been spending too much time symptom searching online that's a sure fire way to scare yourself senseless!

Hope you're doing better.

Fun'ky

Thats why i chose the avatar i did.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi Funky

You seem to know this process so well and how some of us react. Funky, I have been beside myself again. I've been back on the 7.5mg for a week now and I am still getting some of the symptoms. The pins and needles seem a bit better but my muscles seem to be aching more in my feet and back. The uncomfortable feeling seems to move around quite quickly. I also have a weird sensation above my left eyebrow which feels like uticaria and when I wash my face my T -panel and cheeks get really red. I also have absolutely no appetite and when I do eat it is as though I have horrible indigestion. I've lost quite a bit of weight from this. 

I called the doctor again to explain what's happening and she re did the blood tests again this morning!! I will get the results tomorrow. I can't say the feelings are painful but for me they are so scary and put me into a panic mode. I wish I could say to you that I feel okay but I don't. The doctor prescribed some medicine that I can take for this called Gabapentin (Neurontin) but I really don't want to put anything else in my body.

I've been googling everything again! I was on the antibiotic trimethoprim for a UTI infection just before my symptoms started and I began convincing myself I have had a reaction to this. I've googled MS and Lupus as well!

I'm sorry for being so negative but I can't help myself from worrying.

Thank you for asking as it's always makes me feel better to explain to talk to someone.

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Hi nz11

I will definitely use the liquid when I decide to taper again. I'm struggling still with the physical symptoms and feeling very anxious. I'm trying to stay calm but it's not easy.

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Africa, 

Please just know that the sensations you are having are TOTALLY normal and ones that many of us here have had.  I still get waves of prickly heat passing over my body now and again, but I just tell myself "aw, there's the wd again!" and go on my way.  It is all very transient and will not hurt you!  I know your neuro-emotions are in control of your reacting and getting scared, and that is another WD symptom, dang it!  But keep telling yourself, this is all normal withdrawal stuff and it will not hurt me; it will pass!

In Emotional Brain Training, we use a mantra when we are feeling totally stressed out, fearful, unreasonable, irrational, depressed, angry, whatever!  That is 

Do not judge (myself, my withdrawal, others)

Minimize harm (that being in stress causes me)

Know it will pass

We repeat that over and over and over and over....until we feel a bit better, calmer, steadier.  It may take 100 reps, but you know what?  If you are thinking that mantra, you AREN'T thinking about withdrawal, symptoms, your fear, etc!

Hang in there - we're with you!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi Squirellygirl

Thank you so much for this reassurance. I'm going to use this Emotional brain training now! I keep trying to be emotionally strong and keep failing every time I get the physical symptoms. It's like a vicious circle.

Thank you so much for your support, it means so much to me that you are all behind me. If it was for all of you I don't think I would have managed.

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

What I wanted to say was that I feel like I'm letting my family down at the moment. My husband is lovely but he has a very strong character and I think he wishes I was stronger and not so anxious. My mom just tries to avoid the subject and keeps saying I must be strong for the kids. I'm going to use the emotional brain training!

3 April 2021  3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, when I was in protracted withdrawal earlier this year and not understanding what was happening, it was absolutely terrifying!  At least you know what is happening, and hopefully there is some comfort in knowing...And please don't be at all hard on yourself when you "fail" - no one is perfect at this and there will be lots of falling along the way, but you just gotta pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep moving forward.  And wd is making you less strong right now, those danged neuro-emotions, so just keep reminding family that the withdrawal causes these so-called weaknesses, and you are fighting the good fight, doing the best you can for where you are right now.  Maybe the best you can do right now is just be aware of those feelings and acknowledge that it is withdrawal and not "you."

Are you doing the EBT Connect?  Maybe it's something different from what I was talking about since it is a US program, but if there is a way to join and learn, the method is very helpful for breaking stress circuits and past dysfunctional patterns, good for anyone in WD or not!  It is based on neuroplasticity!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Found this on facebook from Wan Midgee (from their photo so I just wanted to give credit where it's due):

If you FAIL, never give up because F.A.I.L. means First Attempt In Learning

END is not the end.  In fact E.N.D. means Effort Never Dies

If you get NO as an answer, remember N.O. means Next Opportunity

So let's be positive :)

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

H I Squirellygirl

I've never heard of EBT connect until you mentioned it. We have something in the UK called cognitive behavioural therapy. I would have to do some research into it.

Thank you for your kind and supportive words. I'm really going to try and think of these symptoms as WD and keep using the mantra.

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Hi ChessieCat

Thank you for your post and your support. Those words are very true.

I am going to try and be more positive!

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Hi Africa,

Happy Christmas to the UK and welcome to the forum. I just wanted to say that I more or less share the same symptoms you have after reducing paroxetine. There is the strange tingling sensation in the face, the numbness in my hands, legs and feet and the pins and needles alternating with it.

I also spent weeks being afraid of MS and related diseases. I was checked neurologically (though no MRT), had some blood test and nothing every came out of it.

So I totally understand your situation but if you read the stories here on the forum you will find many persons with similar problems and very often paroxetine is involved - especially when it is reduced under 10mg.

So I also would suggest that you keep your appointment with the neurologist while at the same time try to relax a little bit as you can see that it is not uncommon here to develop such symptoms.

I also would like to mention that my allergies increased extremely the first time I reduced my AD and as it is really warm at the moment - though it is winter - maybe this correlates in some way and you really have an allergic reaction.

I wish you some pleasant days over Christmas and I hope that you can enjoy them despite all the troubles with the SSRI.

Cheers,

PB

- Paroxetine since more than 10years

- 20mg for the first five year, then 10mg since

- Several attempts to withdraw cold turkey following doctor's advise

- Last attempt in spring 2015 to reduce 10 -> 5 -> 2.5 -> 0mg within 2 months -> Extreme wd problems

- Reinstated with 10mg then down to 5mg again

04/01 5mg (tingling and muscle problems)

07/20 5mg (less problems)

08/20 4.95mg (muscle tightness, no more tingling sensations)

12/28 3.27mg (muscle tightness, numb feeling in feet and hands, light tingling sensations

Hi PapaBear

Thank you for your reassurance. I'm sorry you have had these sensations as well but you seems to have done really well. That's really interesting that you say most of the WD symptoms start once you reduce under 10mg. I was doing so well for 10 months reducing just a tiny amount each month and then it just hit me overnight.

I called the doctor this morning and she said all my blood tests are clear. She tested autoimmune, liver, kidney, thyroid and vitamin deficiencies. This is the second time she's done bloods just to make sure. My skin is really sensitive at the moment and is welting a lot on my face and also quite red around my chin and T panel. We're also in Winter but it also been a very warm Winter so far and I don't think the heat helps.

Today we went for a walk and my feet were aching and some of my muscles were burning - it seems to move around. I tried to stay calm and keep saying to myself it's only the Paroxetine. I think what worries me is that I had only come down from 10mg to 5mg (4 days a week) and 7.5mg (3days a week) over a period of 10 months and I have had such a bad reaction so suddenly. I have gone back up to 7.5mg everyday now.

It's been 3 and a half weeks since these dreadful sensations and they are mostly still there and have also turned into other worrying symptoms. Do you know how long it takes for them to start going, especially now that I've been back up to 7.5mg for just over a week?

I hope you have a lovely Christmas. Thank you again.

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Hi Africa,

I think it is difficult to say how long it will take for the symptoms to disappear but I could imagine that the increase back to 7.5mg will show its effect rather sooner than later given your already slow tapering.

It is also reassuring that your second blood tests came back fine so you shouldn't worry too much.

Nevertheless I understand your thoughts completely as with regard to anxiety (or for others depressions) I easily see the connection with the paroxetine while for the physical symptoms I always have to convince myself again and again that it is a result of tapering.

Regarding the drop below 10mg or lower and the problems related to it you will find some posts here where the correlation is explained. It doesn't take more than 10mg or even less for all the receptors in the brain to be inhibited from taking up serotonin. Only below this threshold some receptors become free which will then lead to further difficulties with tapering. That is why you can reduce higher doses more easily while lower doses might be more difficult. You will find some graphs somewhere in the forum that depict this correlation between receptor saturation and SSRI dose very illustrative.

Anyway this doesn't mean that it will become more difficult for you but it could be a possible explanation for the problems you are currently facing. Thus it might make sense to stabilize and then taper more slowly. But others here can tell you more about on how to proceed.

I wish you all the best!

- Last attempt in spring 2015 to reduce 10 -> 5 -> 2.5 -> 0mg within 2 months -> Extreme wd problems

12/28 3.27mg (muscle tightness, numb feeling in feet and hands, light tingling sensations

Hi PapaBear

Thank you so much for the explanation. I will try and look for the graphs on the forum.

Take care

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Africa,

I was reading this topic last night and it seemed like it was making sense after everything else I have learned from this site since becoming a member.  The graphs are in the links in the first post - Pretty Pictures :)

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi ChessyCat

I will read through this information you have sent. I've just glanced at some of the graphs and it all makes a lot of sense.

Thank you so much for posting this.

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Hi Everyone

I've had a few really anxious days and just wanted to tell someone. I've been on the 7.5mg of paroxetine everyday for 2 weeks now and still have the pins and needles in my feet. I still have the odd tingling in my hands but as well as this I've had tingling and painful joints as well as burning muscles in my arms and legs. It just happens anywhere on my body. I also have this numb/ pressure/tingly feeling above my one eyebrow that has been there for a while (it seems to be a bit better when I wake up but the comes on gradually throughout the day) 

I am so scared of MS but also looked up peripheral neuropathy which have the same symptoms. Does anyone think my small drop in paroxetine could have caused this type of neuropathy?

Thanks so much

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Hi Africa,

I am sorry that you are feeling that way!

Could you maybe try some sports? This has always helped me during my most difficult times with pins and needles and eased the pain I had in my legs?

Regarding MS or similar you will find many persons here with the same fear and symptoms that had full neurological screenings without any findings. So yes it could be that your taper is correlated to that. You can use the search function and will find many entries in the forum...

Maybe you could also try to start meditation in order to cope with the fear itself. Personally I have made the experience that I can't really foresee or avoid the wd symptoms so I am trying to develop a more relaxed attitude towards it. This is really not easy of course but will help in the longterm.

If you are really scared and anxious you could also try to breath 15-20 minutes in your belly and observe your breathing. This helps to calm down.

I wish you all the best.

PB

Hi PapaBear

Thank you for the advice. I was worried about doing some kind of exercise but as you say, it might help. It's so crazy how overwhelming the physical symptoms can be and the fear it can bring with it. It's a vicious circle for me at the moment but I am trying to be strong.

Thanks for your support

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Hi Africa,

I'm so sorry to hear this festive period is being tainted by your continuing symptoms.

I can completely sympathise with the fear you are experiencing as I was in exactly the same state two years ago. I was petrified and inconsolable and researching my symptoms like mad online. This is the reason why I've taken such an interest in your case because it's so similar to what happened to me.

One of the first appointments I had when my symptoms started was with the musculoskeletal department. My GP thought the pain and numbness might be due to a physical problem with my nerves being pinched or trapped somewhere so sent me to musculoskeletal outpatient department to be evaluated by a physician. He checked me over and didn't think I had anything trapped but sent me for a neck x-ray just in case. I asked him what he thought the cause might be and he mentioned peripheral neuropathy and that was what sent me into a huge nosedive of researching symptoms and diseases online. I was petrified because a medical professional had told me they thought I might have peripheral neuropathy!

The best way to check for and rule out peripheral neuropathy is to have nerve conduction studies. I had this done and it showed no evidence of neuropathy, the problem was at the other end of my nerves - my brain. Ask your GP to book you in for some nerve conduction studies if you would like to have that ruled out as a possible cause.

As far as any other cause for numbness is concerned, the neurologist will be able to evaluate you for any of those and you've got an appointment booked in really soon so you've got that covered... You're on the right track!

In the meantime, unfortunately, your anxiety, hyper awareness of symptoms and the worrying will be feeding back in a loop with your physical symptoms exacerbating the problem. This might be why your experience of the symptoms gets worse as the day goes on.

PapaBear's suggestion of taking part in some exercise is a great one. I'm a firm believer that exercise helps to retrain a destabilised autonomic nervous system to help restore it to its original stable function. Maybe start off with something gentle like an easy ride on an exercise bike because at this stage vigorous exercise might make things worse.

Another great type of exercise that has helped me immeasurably is yoga. It helps to loosen up a tense, anxious body and works wonders on the mind as well helping to transition you from your sympathetic (fight or flight) nervous system (where you are currently) into the parasympathetic (relax and digest) nervous system. I highly recommend finding a good yoga teacher and if you can afford it have a few one to one sessions. I don't know where abouts in the south west you are but I can recommend a great yoga teacher in Torquay if that's nearby. Mentioning this just on the off-chance!

Just want to reiterate that it's seems too much of a coincidence that your symptoms started at the same time you are were transitioning to a much lower dose and in my non-medical (for what it's worth) opinion it's most likely your symptoms are caused by the drug, or rather lack of it!

I really hope you experience some relief soon and wishing you all the best as we come into the new year!

We're all here for you...

Funky

A convenient link to my introduction post

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Diazepam 10mg - took approximately 100 tablets.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Apr 2013 Completely off Citalopram and continued to have severe withdrawal.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.

Hi Funky

Thank you so much for understanding what I'm going through and sorry that you went through something similar. I have spent hours on the internet which scares me to death! You're absolutely right that when I get these symptoms I do get myself more into a panic which I'm sure makes it worse.

Yes, you and PapaBear are right about doing exercise and I think yoga would be great for relaxation. My skin is also incredibly sensitive so I do find the heat makes it more sensitive. Saying that, after I have had a warm shower the tingling on my forehead and nose seems to get a bit better.

My appointment with the neurologist is next Monday the 4th January. I keep wondering what tests he will do and hope I don't have to wait too long for those.

It means so much to me that you are all behind me and supporting me through this very worrying time. If I didn't have this forum I just wouldn't know where to turn.

Thank you so much

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Hi Africa,

Most tests a neurologist can perform will provide results immediately. Whether it is an EEG, EMG or the nerve conduction studies Funky mentioned, the doc can see it on the spot if everything is ok. Usually she/he will also examine your coordination, eye reaction and so on to determine your current status. You don't have to wait for anything.

Of course if blood tests or an MRI will be done or scheduled than you have to wait for it but the majority of tests are performed in the doc's office...

One final tip: Avoid googling your symptoms. It only will scare your more than necessary.

Hi PapaBear

Thank you so much for this information! It's been worrying me because the waiting for me already feels like months!

Yes, PapaBear I wish we couldn't google. It is so hard not to but I have to stop it.

Thank you so much for your support.

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Hi Africa-- we just had a new thread started that talks about the physical aspects of benzo WD.  A lot of it also relates to ADWD and although it is a long read I think you would find it informative:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10914-what-is-happening-in-your-brain/

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Brassmonkey

This was a brilliant read and explains a lot. Thank you so much for sending me the link. I am going to read it again as it definitely gives me some reassurance.

Thanks for your support.

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Hi Everyone

Happy New Year.

I just wanted to update you with where I am at the moment. I still after 4 weeks have the needling and prickling everywhere especially under my feet. My feet are still blotchy and different muscles around my body burn occasionally for a few hours each day. I have also started with the flu - like symptoms (sweating and shivers) which I hadn't experienced at all up until the last few nights.

Today I went to see the Neurologist and he examined me in his rooms. He took all my information and symptoms and then did a physical examination by knocking and pricking me everywhere. He also checked my eyes and strength of muscles. He said he thought everything was fine and the symptoms I'm experiencing may be from paroxetine withdrawal and also said it was up to me whether I wanted to have an MRI in the next few weeks but didn't actually say I needed one. He said it was really for my own peace of mind. I'm going to go ahead and have one done anyway because of my own etreme anxieties.

I'm still on the 7.5mg of Paroxetine every night but I'm obviously extremely sensitive to this medication and even the slow tapering had a huge effect on my system. So even after going back up to 7.5mg has not stopped the uncomfortable physical symptoms. So I have had the bloods, had a neurological examination and now just wait for the MRI.

Thank you again everyone for your support.

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Hi Africa,

If it makes you feel better to do this , then all power to you. There are so many here who have gone through this , and had the same result. However, good luck with it. Please let us know how you go . Have you had a look at the micro -tapering . It could be the answer for you.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2878-micro-taper-instead-of-10-or-5-decreases/

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi,

I am glad that everything else is fine and I hope it will help you feeling less anxious.

bR,

Pb

Hi Ali

Thank you for this. I did see this and will have to micro - taper. I really want to start tapering again as I want this paroxetine out my system but because I still have the physical symptoms I'm too scared to start now.  I thought of just waiting a few more weeks and hopefully I will stabilise and I might start feeling my old self again.

Afeica

3 April 2021  3mg

Hi PapaBear

Thank you so much! After my appointment I did actually feel some relief although I'm such an anxious person that I now just want this MRI to be over.

It's hard to believe that this drug can give us such horrible symptoms. I was put on it for general anxiety but what I've been experiencing the last month has been worse than anything I've ever been through in my entire life.

Thank you again for you support PapaBear

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Africa,

Unfortunately , the drugs amplify the original symptoms.  We just have to work our way through this. At least now, we know !   :)  It's not easy , though .

Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Africa, did any of your symptoms improve or partially improve when you reinstated at 7.5mg? 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.