SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Happy2Heal: Hope I'm doing this right

Happy2Heal

• Mentor
On 11/2/2016 at 10:37 AM, Altostrata said:

This belongs in your Intro topic.

Why don't you give 0.1mg + 0.2mg a chance for a week and then see if you want to increase.

Please add further questions of this sort to your Intro topic.

ok thanks

well, I spent all day freezing and now, I'm suddenly hot and sweaty

it's weird, I used to go from cold to hot to cold multiple times a day, with mostly having night sweats

now the periods of cold and hot last longer and seem to be roughly split between being cold in the morning and hot at night

I generally feel much better as the day goes on, mornings are still very hard and today was a long bad day because things did not work out the way I'd planned and I was too tired to get much done and didn't have anything to distract myself with

I need to get some audio books and stuff for days like this

thanks Alto hope all is well with you

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Administrator

I'm okay, thank you.

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. This can help you decide which way to go with the Lexapro.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor

Hi Cat,

Wanted to thank you for stopping by my thread and sharing your thoughts. It does appear we have a lot in common not only recently but in the past as well. I read your thread and wanted to tell you how inspirational your story is and how strong you are. Unfortunately this strength is often given negative labels like "noncompliant" or "difficult" by medical professionals. When you see these things in your chart, I would encourage you to see it as a badge of honor. Evidence of your willingness to risk the ridicule of others in order to find your own truth.

I was very sorry to read that your brother passed away a couple of years ago. Was that the one who had CP? I am very reluctant to believe that the brain damage that resulted in the CP also caused some sort of chemical imbalance that makes our emotions more difficult to control. I just think that for most of us who have no cognitive impairment, having a brain that goes much faster than our bodies can respond is understandably frustrating. Add to that the fact that many people with CP are overly catered to as children and therefore never develop the skills needed to deal with frustration. I'm not saying this was the case with your brother. Just that I've seen it.

My CP is very mild. There's nothing I really can't do. It just takes a little more time and effort. For this reason expectations for me were high from the get go so I did have to learn to deal with frustration and just "keep up". A lesson I appreciate more and more the older I get. In fact, I see now that those early difficulties have given me the determination necessary to see me through the worst days of withdrawal.

Anyway, thanks again for stopping by. It was a real blessing to read about your journey. Let's keep in touch.

Peace, love and healing.

hi Patricia,

thanks for stopping by here! and thanks for the compliments although they don't feel deserved. Or  maybe some days they do LOL I try not to look back too much, so I forget that I've made it thru some pretty tough times. Just one day at a time.

yes it was my brother with CP who died of ARDS on my birthday two and half years ago. He was not very disabled by his CP, many ppl would not even be able to tell that he had it. I am sorry if I offended you by my wondering if the brain damage that caused the CP also effected emotions. I don't really know why my brother had a low tolerance for frustration but thinking about it more, so did his dad, and he did not have CP so maybe it was just part of who he was.

It's great that you see that overcoming challenges early in life is helping you now. I think some of the stuff I've been thru has made it a bit easier for me to manage things now. Lots of practice early on

I will def keep in touch.

all the best

cat

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Mentor

I'm okay, thank you.

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. This can help you decide which way to go with the Lexapro.

yes I do need to do that.

It's hard for me to write, but I did manage to scribble some notes this morning.

I thought I could rely on memory but I already forgot some stuff, so I will keep the notebook out and add to it during the day.

thanks for the reminder

Hi Cat,

You definitely did not offend me by suggesting that the brain damage may have caused some kind of emotional dysregulation. It's something I've pondered many times. I've just decided to reject that idea because the medicalization of emotion just leads me right back to where I am now - sick from the side effects if medication and trying to get off them. It always struck me as odd that the medical professions first line of treatment for someone with a brain injury is to administer a medication that causes further damage.

No, you didn't offend me. In fact you got me to see how my previous struggles are helping me with what I'm going through currently, and that really brightened my day. So....Thanks!

PatriciaVP@AbleWriterSays My Intro

Zoloft 150-200 mg- on and off between 1998 and 2004.

Lexapro 40 mg - 2004-2013 30 mg 2013 - August 2015 20 mg August 2015- September 2015 15 mg September 2015 - October 2015 10 mg October 2015 -Nov. 1 2015. Nov. 2015 increased dose to 12.5 mg to stabilize. Dec. 28 2015 11.25 mg March 29, 2016 10 mg. August 1, 2016 9 mg. October 23, 2016 8.1 mg. Nov. 29, 2016 7.5 mg. Feb. 25, 2017 7 mg. April 9, 2017 6.5 mg. June 2017 6 mg. Aug. 2018 5.75 mg March 2019 5.5 mg Apr. 2019 5.25 mg. June 2019 5 mg Sept. 2019 4.75 mg Nov. 2019 4.5 mg Dec. 2019  4.25 April 7 2020 4mg 

Depakote 1000 mg 2008-2013  750 2013-Dec 2015 500 mg Dec 2015 to Feb 2, 2016. Sopped completely Feb 2 2016.

Adderall 40mg 2004-Feb 29, 2016. Feb 29,2016 - reduced Adderall to 20 mg based on pdoc's recommendations. March 29, 2016 - Reduced Adderall to 15 mg. April 30 reduced Adderall to 10 mgs. May 28, 2016 reduced Adderall to 5 mgs.June 8, 2016 stopped taking Adderall due to extreme agitation.

Amphetamine 20mg 2008 - 1/16. 1/16 - Stopped Amphetamine completely because pdoc did not renew script.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

• Mentor

Hi Cat,

You definitely did not offend me by suggesting that the brain damage may have caused some kind of emotional dysregulation. It's something I've pondered many times. I've just decided to reject that idea because the medicalization of emotion just leads me right back to where I am now - sick from the side effects if medication and trying to get off them. It always struck me as odd that the medical professions first line of treatment for someone with a brain injury is to administer a medication that causes further damage.

No, you didn't offend me. In fact you got me to see how my previous struggles are helping me with what I'm going through currently, and that really brightened my day. So....Thanks!

oh I'm relieved I didn't offend you. I have the habit of writing *what* I'm thinking, instead of thinking first and then deciding what to write, and I really should go back thru things before I post them to be sure that I didn't say anything that would be better off kept inside my head lol

yeh, my therapist and I were talking about the over medication of people and how I probably never learned how to "self soothe" and I agree, but exclaimed, "well I'm learning now!!" because this symptoms have been so awful, I really have no other choice

I mean,I did try a tiny bit of klonopin a week ago or so, and we see how well that (didn't) go. I feel a little bit stronger each time I try something and it works out.

I did a foot soak in epsom salts this morning.  Usually I feel "guilty" wasting time on myself like that, but I feel now that I really have to take the time to take care of myself.

I love the line in your signature, by the way, "Just keep swimming!"  Loved the movie Finding Nemo.

I have a pet rat named Nemo and just got 3 girls recently, one was named Doreen but I'm calling her Dory.

• Mentor

a wonderful window- I can tolerate silence today- my mind is not being pulled into all sorts of horrible places.

what a wonderful blessing.

Doreen and Nemo. What darling names! I have a dog named Ben and a cat named Zeus. Animals are so healing aren't they?

Glad to hear you're having a nice window.

PatriciaVP@AbleWriterSays My Intro

Zoloft 150-200 mg- on and off between 1998 and 2004.

Lexapro 40 mg - 2004-2013 30 mg 2013 - August 2015 20 mg August 2015- September 2015 15 mg September 2015 - October 2015 10 mg October 2015 -Nov. 1 2015. Nov. 2015 increased dose to 12.5 mg to stabilize. Dec. 28 2015 11.25 mg March 29, 2016 10 mg. August 1, 2016 9 mg. October 23, 2016 8.1 mg. Nov. 29, 2016 7.5 mg. Feb. 25, 2017 7 mg. April 9, 2017 6.5 mg. June 2017 6 mg. Aug. 2018 5.75 mg March 2019 5.5 mg Apr. 2019 5.25 mg. June 2019 5 mg Sept. 2019 4.75 mg Nov. 2019 4.5 mg Dec. 2019  4.25 April 7 2020 4mg 

Depakote 1000 mg 2008-2013  750 2013-Dec 2015 500 mg Dec 2015 to Feb 2, 2016. Sopped completely Feb 2 2016.

Adderall 40mg 2004-Feb 29, 2016. Feb 29,2016 - reduced Adderall to 20 mg based on pdoc's recommendations. March 29, 2016 - Reduced Adderall to 15 mg. April 30 reduced Adderall to 10 mgs. May 28, 2016 reduced Adderall to 5 mgs.June 8, 2016 stopped taking Adderall due to extreme agitation.

Amphetamine 20mg 2008 - 1/16. 1/16 - Stopped Amphetamine completely because pdoc did not renew script.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

• Mentor

well windows open and windows close, sigh

I have a question about something gross, I hope no one is put off by this

I have morning vomiting but it's primarily excess mucus that i've swallowed the evening or night before.

I take an antihistamine in the summer for a rag weed allergy but have gone off of it in the last couple of weeks.

Do you know if taking that might help with this excess mucus production?

or should I not upset anything by adding another med (even though it's one i take off and on, seasonally)

is this excess mucus a WD symptom?

it's mostly a post nasal drip so most of the time I am unable to blow my nose to clear it, and end up with it in my stomach

ick, I know!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi.

Yes, sinus issues are a big one during withdrawal for a lot of people. I had a lot of congestion and several bad colds earlier on. 

These threads may help:

Antihistamines and what to use for allergy relief

sinus congestion, sneezing and runny nose

I use a very potent form of peppermint oil called China Oel that helps. Other people use things like Netipots. So there are some good non-drug ways of coping. 

Since you recently came off an antihistamine, you may actually be going through withdrawal from that. But hopefully your symptoms will resolve soon.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

• Mentor
On 11/4/2016 at 9:25 PM, Shep said:

Hi.

Yes, sinus issues are a big one during withdrawal for a lot of people. I had a lot of congestion and several bad colds earlier on. 

These threads may help:

Antihistamines and what to use for allergy relief

sinus congestion, sneezing and runny nose

I use a very potent form of peppermint oil called China Oel that helps. Other people use things like Netipots. So there are some good non-drug ways of coping. 

Since you recently came off an antihistamine, you may actually be going through withdrawal from that. But hopefully your symptoms will resolve soon.

thanks Shep

well, luckily there's no congestion, I can breathe just fine. I have used a neti pot in the past but for my allergies, in the summer I used to use a nasal spray (nasonex or something like that) that has a steroid in it, I believe. I am not sure if I'll ever be using *that* again but it got me thru this past summer ok, I never connected it to any bad effects, but who knows.

how do you use that peppermint oil, is it ingested?

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

• Mentor

now about 9 days into re-instating a tiny dose of lexapro liquid (generic) and although I did gradually go up each day, I am now staying at 0.1 twice a day. no plans to increase nor decrease for at least a month, probably longer

I had my first night without waking up in a panic/terror etc, I went to bed a bit early and woke up at 2am and have been mostly awake since then, but I was able to just stay laying down with the tv on and didn't have any bad anxiety.

no vomiting this morning, just spitting up some excess mucus. I am completely off coffee now, and I wonder if that's a factor, with the excess mucus and/or the small improvements

gonna get some herbal tea, as the tea I drink now is black tea and has some caffeine.

thank you to everyone who is helping me thru this. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it

I tried to search your thread but didn't find where you reported that you reinstated at 2mg of lexapro last spring. You say in your signature that you had intolerable symptoms from that reinstatement (2mg). Can you tell me what kind of symptoms they were and how long it took them to pass? And was anhedonia one of the symptoms?

I happy for you that your latest reinstatement at 0.2mg is helping!

Citalopram 40mg from 2003-2015

Jan 2015 started tapering first dropped to 35mgFeb 30mg, March 25mgApril 20mg, May 17,5mg, June 15mgJuly 12,5mg, Aug 12,5mg,

Sep 0mg for 5 days because of stomac flu and after I raised to 7,5mg. All the symptoms of acute WD shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, barely could walk ect. Still didn't realize that it wasn't only stomac flu but I was also going through WD.

Oct 2,5mg and crashed again badly and quickly raised to 4mg. It was then when I knew my symptoms were due to WD.

Then in November after a month holding on 4mg raised to 5mg due to muscle weakness and had a VERY BAD reaction to reinstatement: akathisia(lasted for one or two weeks), insomnia, anhedonia... Drop quicly back to 4mg, Dec 3mg

Jan 2016 2,6mg( in the middle of Jan after I had been on 2,6mg for a week I tried to updose to 2,8mg and immediately had bad reaction to it: akathisia for a day, andehonia got worse. The next day dropped back to 2,6mg), Feb 2,4mg( a new symptom PGAD lasted 24/7 for 2 months after that on and off), March 2,4mg, April 2,3mg, May 2,2mg, June 2,1mg, July 2,0mg( Pgad almost nonexisting, sleeping pretty good, still some anhedonia but there has been a lot of gradual progress), Aug 1,97mg-1,89mg, Sep 1,88mg-1,49mg, Oct 1,48mg- 1,70mg,

Nov 0,65mg- current dose 0,5mg

I'm so happy for your progress and symptom relief.  If you can stay calm during any insomnia that you experience it's a plus. I had severe insomnia for the good part of two years. Staying calm is key. You seem to be going well with that right now. I found the less I stressed, the better I felt even with NO sleep. You have the right idea in terms of acceptance.

Coffee is a stimulant and has drug like qualities. I stayed away from it on the whole except for one seriously enjoyed cup on the weekend.  :)

During the week I have switched largely to Rooibos or Lemon / ginger tea ( naturally caffeine free).

Also, just wanted to say do you have " Fess" saline spray over there ? Totally natural .

I hope this window continues for you.

Ali

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Mentor

I tried to search your thread but didn't find where you reported that you reinstated at 2mg of lexapro last spring. You say in your signature that you had intolerable symptoms from that reinstatement (2mg). Can you tell me what kind of symptoms they were and how long it took them to pass? And was anhedonia one of the symptoms?

I happy for you that your latest reinstatement at 0.2mg is helping!

Hi reachingforthestars,

sorry I think the symptoms used to be in my signature but I removed them to keep it to the 12 lines.

I had forgotten to take the 2.5mg dose for a few days, and took it one day at a totally different time than usual.

It was suggested, I believe, that I reinstate at a lower dose (or possibly the same dose, I forget now) so I took 2mg and not long after that, I could not stand up to walk, my balance was so bad and I was so dizzy, I had to lay down for a very long time before it passed.

at that time, and with my eagerness to get off the lexapro completely (plus still believing that the drs "knew more" and that WD would not or could not be this bad) I thought that was intolerable and decided to not take another dose. Looking back now, that seems pretty silly. I probably could have managed just fine, but...

My dr had told me that anything under 10mg didn't do anything, so... I was confused, to say the least.

I wasn't really sold that WD would or could take as long as it is.

and I wanted to believe that I was different, that somehow I could power thru it better/faster or something.

I am regretting thinking that way but I'm not beating myself up for it, I'm only human.

Now, looking back, I can see that the balance issue probably would have resolved and I might have been better off going back on the 2mgs and continuing to taper, but I just didnt' take WD as seriously as I should have.

No, I did not have anhedonia, it was really  that single episode of not being able to walk upright that made me decide to not take any more (plus the fact that I really wanted to be off it)

I think when we have a bias like that, it's hard to be honest with ourselves about what we can handle and what he find intolerable.

I would gladly trade some balance issues, even severe ones, for what I just went thru. But I didn't know that this would happen- I mean, sure, ppl here warned me!  but I was stubborn and just wanted what I wanted. :/

You know what I am finding interesting?? my symptoms while I was ON the lexapro match some other ppls symptoms of WD and vice versa

I had anhedonia while I was on the lexapro, since going off it, the anhedonia is going away and I am feeling more engaged with life and experiencing feelings again, both good and "bad", if a feeling can be bad.

I see you are tapering very slowly, good for you! I hope that whatever WD symptoms you have, that they are cleared up as fast as possible but after what I just went thru,

I am going to learn some PATIENCE lol and not rush anything!!

I wish you healing and peace,

• Mentor
On 11/5/2016 at 10:14 PM, AliG said:

I'm so happy for your progress and symptom relief.  If you can stay calm during any insomnia that you experience it's a plus. I had severe insomnia for the good part of two years. Staying calm is key. You seem to be going well with that right now. I found the less I stressed, the better I felt even with NO sleep. You have the right idea in terms of acceptance.

Coffee is a stimulant and has drug like qualities. I stayed away from it on the whole except for one seriously enjoyed cup on the weekend.  :)

During the week I have switched largely to Rooibos or Lemon / ginger tea ( naturally caffeine free).

Also, just wanted to say do you have " Fess" saline spray over there ? Totally natural .

I hope this window continues for you.

Ali

thanks so much Ali

Today (so far) has been my best day, each day has gotten gradually better. Each day I have been concentrating on doing things in a way to avoid triggering any anxiety.

Morning is usually the worst time for me and I am doing, dare i say it? pretty damn good this morning!

I 'm trying to avoid sugar, simple carbs, processed foods etc. No coffee but I do drink black tea (fairly weak tea) as I wont have any herbal tea for another few weeks.

I love Celestial Seasonings Madagascar Vanilla Rooibos tea, but it's so much more expensive than plain black tea that i stopped buying it

I have an extremely tight budget.

anyway the lowest price for that tea, and really the only place I can find it,  is online thru amazon's subscribe and save program, so I've got some ordered and it should arrive sometime later this month.

I am eating fresh fruits, veggies, beans and a small amnt of oatmeal primarily. I am super sensitive to sugar right now- it bounces me from almost manic to crying my eyes out LOL and it happens soon after eating anything sweet. I went to an open house at the Sr Center and to be polite, tried a member's homemade cookies, that she made sound like they were really  healthy (rolled oats, peanut butter) OMG they were like a mouth full of sugar! so much brown sugar, I honestly should have walked away and spit it out. LOL

next thing I knew, I was at some table crying about my brother who died a couple of years ago.

Yep I am still waking up a lot BUT I am finding ways to get thru it. I breathe deeply and do the legs up the wall if needed. I just  keep finding more things to try, and when they work, I stick with them.

If something doesn't work, I don't try to force it.

I am learning patience and acceptance whether I want to or not LOL

the silver lining in all this, I guess, is that I very much needed to learn these things.

you are now 2yrs off meds? how are you doing overall these days?

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

Cat.  2 yrs 5 months and going great after many cold turkeys including the latest and last which was in May 2014. It's not an easy road but once you know the truth it's doable.

Yes, Love the vanilla Rooibos. We get it in the supermarket here - quite cheap. Fruits, veges, beans - the healthiest foods but beware sugar - agreed. It's like a drug. Most are addicted.

Keep up the good work . With your positive attitude , I know you will get there.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Mentor

thanks so much for your kind words Ali

just wanted to say, while there are still many rough hours with bad anxiety, they are getting fewer and fewer each day

I have a bit more depressed thinking but am fighting that with staying busy and literally trying to remember to look up. I can feel a difference in my mood if I do this. I do a lot of sewing that involves looking down, and when I find my thoughts slipping to dark things, I remember to take a break and look up, walk around, pet the cat and stuff.

I feel much better when I am around other people so I am doing my best to schedule some thing out of the house every day, even if it's just a walk over to the gym to use the treadmill and stuff.

• Mentor

it's now 14 days since reinstating and things got better a little bit every day

when I got to 1/5 of a mg, I did start to have symptoms that I recall having as side effects when I first went on lexapro- the stiff neck, the yawning and a bit of a headache, loss of appetite

the timing of when I get cold and when I get hot has changed, It was fairly predictable at first, now I don't know when I will be hit with a hot "flash" for lack of a better term, nor when I might be abnormally cold (it will be plenty warm in the house but I'll feel like I"m freezing)

I also sometimes feel very heavy and like walking take a lot more effort, this was a side effect i had when I was on lexapro before. It's not nearly as bad as it was when I was on 30 mgs or more, but I do notice it from time to time.

I ordered some taurine, as I had read some posts here, some ppl found this helpful. I won't get it til the 15th and now I am wondering if I should hold off on trying it, or possibly not try it at all

what are your thoughts on that?
actually as i write this, I think the smart thing to do is to not add *anything* new for at least 2 more weeks.

thanks again to everyone who is helping me get thru this, you guys are rock stars

Hi Cat,

Thank you for stopping by my thread offering support! It's highly appreciated. It gives me more strength to continue with each hand when in such a dark place.

I can identify the heaviness, hard to walk, sluggish as side effects from Lexapro. I never had that until the bad reaction from an accident dose increase last year.

I am in agreement with you that no new stuff to be added, this whole thing is just too complicated and better just leave it to its own plus the evil drug which we can't get rid off fast.

I'm very glad the tiny dose reinstate works for you.

I hope you continue improving and stabilizing!

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Mentor

thanks Lex

well I do have one other side effect of going back on lexapro even at that tiny dose, yesterday my vision got bad again.

oh well that's a small problem compared to what I went thru the past few weeks for sure!

I was able to fall asleep very early last night, which surprised me (but considering that I"m running on no more than 5 hrs TOPS per night for almost a year, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that I was tired enough to fall asleep around 9pm or so

I never got up to turn off the TV and heard parts of the election results thru out the night each time I woke up (I don't expect that I will ever sleep thru the night again, and  I dont' care, so long as i get some rest)

It was so odd to not have the pounding heart at 4 am or so, NICE super nice but it was such a change!

I am trying not to take ANY thing for granted now, not the good days or minutes, nothing

Enjoy them when they come, and try to accept that things may be rough again, BUT I will make it thru it

Lex, knowing that others are rooting for me is a huge help. I hope to try to repay that favor as often as I can, where ever I can.

This journey has been awful but I am learning so much.

I kinda wish I didn't have to learn things the HARD way all the time LOL but I guess it's better than never learning anything at all LOL

I hope that after the new year, I will have to courage to try to taper off again. But I won't worry about that now.

Reinstate has been Causing major problems for me even the WD is terrible!

You did great reinstated only 0.2 mg and it helped with the WD symptoms. Vision issue is a typical symptom from reinstating Lexapro. But like you said, it's easier to handle as compared to the severe WD.

I hope it continue working for you well. Just be very careful about further dose increase in case for any cause.

It's the most difficult journey of all by itself for everyone especially there is no one can help with sure decision, or anything one can do to relieve the suffering, plus the terror of unknown consequence and duration.

fingers crossed for you,

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Mentor

(((Lex)))

it is so hard to know that you're suffering. I understand the fear of the unknown, I am just trying to remind myself that we really deal with that fear all the time but find a way to suppress or deny it, I think.

I don't know.  *shrug*

I am doing so much work on trying to stay in the moment. It's hard but it's helping.

I have no plans to make any changes, myself.

I just get thru each day and celebrate that.

fingers and toes and eyes crossed (ok no, not really) for you too.

((((Hugs))))

• Mentor

today on the news I heard that taking too much vit C3 can cause -er I forget LOL sorry, some problems with calcium and whatnot (sorry I just heard "problems" and kind of panicked a bit)

i have been taking 5000 IUs of vit D3 every day for some time now

but I am worried this is too much

I just reinstated on a super low dose of lexapro liquid to help with intolerable WD, and I'm reluctant to add or drop anything, but I am worried the vit D3 might be adding to my symptoms??

can you have withdrawal off a vit supplement?

not sure what to do?

Edited by scallywag
moved from topic created in Tapering

• Moderator Emeritus

Keep in mind that news programs often report on single studies that are contrary to popular opinion. I did a quick web search on news articles and didn't see any recent news at the top of the list. usually when there is something major, there are news articles from many media sources.

Also, I've read summaries of research studies that found calcium supplementation causes problems without sufficient D3.

At this time of year in the northern hemisphere, blood levels of D3 decrease as you progress further away from the equator. If you live in a state closer to the Mexican border than the Canadian border, D3 supplementation is *generally* less needed. There is a simple and relatively inexpensive (~$25) blood lab test to assess your vitamin D3 levels. It looks at the level of 25(OH)D (25-hydroxy-vitamin D), the first metabolite of D3.

That said, you should be able to reduce vitamin D3 fairly quickly to a lower level, 2000 or 3000 IU, or the US RDA of 800 IU. Reduce when your symptoms are stable and keep notes on paper about your symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Mentor

thanks so much scallywag

I wasn't sure if I'd have WD symptoms from stopping the vit D3, I only have the 3000IU pills and can't afford to be buying anything at all right now (extremely tight budget)

I had been reading on a site called Nutrition facts.org and on there it seemed that there was very little danger of having a vit d level that was too high, but this stupid news report set off my anxiety

I am not having the horrible panic attacks, at least very very few of them now but have a more general sense of anxiety and unease during the day time instead now

It's a huge improvement, I'm not complaining, but I find myself getting side tracked with small concerns like this more often than I'd like, and feel the need for re assurance

:P

I play relaxation cds almost constantly LOL
I have not gone thru anything this difficult in a long time and I'm just kind of amazed that I am making it thru it.

I've let myself wish that I could sleep but I"m not letting myself get upset about it. I just give myself permission to miss the times when I was able to sleep and not have all this upset in my life.

I think sometimes I get too hard on myself to just accept this and not have any feelings about it. It really does suck and I wish it was over, but then,

don't we all? :P

thanks again. Sorry for starting a new topic, I thought it might have been something that others would be interested in and/or know more about.

• Mentor

I keep forgetting to ask this!

I tried to google it and didn't come up with anything-

when this last massive wave hit me, I'd just had a flu shot and a prevnar 13 shot

can either of those affect WD?

and, just out of utter frustration, is there anything that does NOT affect WD?!?!!?

grrrrr!

• Moderator Emeritus

"is there anything that does NOT affect WD?!?!!?"

Seems like there isn't, however when you think about how intricate and finely tuned our bodies are/meant to be, it's not really surprising.

To search the site I use google and type in survivingantidepressants.org + topic. In this instance I typed in flu.

flu-shots-and-other-vaccines

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Mentor

thanks Chessie,  I did the same search and didn't find  anything current, was hoping there was some thing new.  No worries. I think I was just trying to distract myself from the wave.

It seems I'm going from wave to wave with a tiny windows inbetween

The waves are not as bad as they were a few weeks ago thank goodness but I feel more exhausted trying to find ways to deal with them.

today I am thinking of trying to "fake it til I make it". My thoughts keep going to dark places and it's hard to find anyone who is happy or in a good mood.

I am trying to find things that make me happy but coming up empty on that score as well.

I feel the need to be around people who are enjoying themselves, so I am trying to imagine them in my mind.

funny how hard it is for my brain to retain lighthearted stuff and how easy it is to slip into darkness

I don't know if that's a part of my personality or if that is WD. I hope it's just WD but if it's a part of my usual way of seeing things, I need to work on that

oh, I am so tired! I wish I could sleep. but I keep on keeping on.

• Moderator Emeritus

The immune system is either part of the CNS or very tightly interconnected. A flu shot is intended to trigger a mild immune response, develop antibodies, so it definitely does trigger w/d symptoms for some people.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Mentor

thanks Scallywag

in looking back on what precipitated this last huge wave, I think It was actually coming for awhile, in stages, and I just ignored the downward progression or didn't notice it was a trend.

I guess since windows and waves are unpredictable, regardless of what you do, I should try not to be too concerned with what might have made things worse and just save my energy for the next bad wave.

still having many waves, every day and nights are still horrible but I am managing. they are better than they were and I celebrate any improvement!

I am curious, and will now go and search, if it's ok to try to nap during the day time when you are dealing with severe insomnia.

I know under normal circumstances, when you are NOT withdrawing from a med and have insomnia for other reasons, it's not advised that you sleep during the day (at least this is what I recall reading)

but I am hoping it's ok during WD. as I sometimes feel like I wouldn't sleep but I might be able to rest a bit in the middle of the day but am afraid to mess things up by laying down for a (potential lol) nap.

• Mentor

I realize I am posting a lot but staying connected this way helps the anxiety somewhat

I've got a question for ppl with insomnia, i read that most of you are having good luck (or varying degrees of  luck) with white noise (that does help me sometimes) darkness (this makes things WORSE for me) and blinds/shades that keep out morning light, again, for me, the light HELPS

I only start to feel better when the sun has come up.

darkness and quiet are very disturbing to me. also being alone is very difficult

I am wondering if this is because of my PTSD? I have severe PTSD from all types of abuse from the beginning of my life til well into my 20s or so.

I am terrified of being "the last person left alive" which is how I feel when I wake up alone in the dark, so I sleep with the TV

or I should say, I lay on the sofa (or in my bed) with the TV on. I do very little sleeping lol

BUT I have far less anxiety panic and intrusive dark thoughts if the TV is on!

so to me, it's worth it. I have tried sleeping in the dark and I get maybe an hour or 90 mins and that's it, when I wake up that first time, alone and in the dark, it sets me up for a very bad night.

so this is what I am doing with my WD wave of insomnia and anxiety/panic etc

I don't usually have the massive cortisol spikes that I was getting before, I have a mild one that responds to getting out of bed or doing the legs up the wall.

I do not let myself get upset about not sleeping but will try to lay in bed and at least just rest.

I have to have something in the morning that gets me out of the house, or a person to call and talk to- otherwise the whole day is spent with intrusive thoughts and high anxiety

I have asked a friend to help if things get bad again (where I was suicidal) I asked if I could go and spend the night at her house, just overnight, If things got that bad. I know it would help me to be around ppl.

I can only do it for one night because I have pets and I couldn't/wouldn't impose on anyone else that way

i have wished that I was allowed to have someone come stay with me but it's against my lease to have someone stay overnight more than once in an entire YEAR :(

and my landlord lives below me, so he'd know :/

not that I know anyone who'd want to crash at my place but boy, If i did, that would make this whole ordeal a lot easier on me.

Yeh I am guessing that my particular form of anxiety with being alone is related to PTSD,  one of the traumas did involve being more or less abandoned to fend for myself and not being able to adequately do so. (not going into details as it triggers me terribly)

oh does anyone know if you can take too much magnesium?

(random, I know)

• Mentor

took an extra 200mg caplet of magnesium citrate and it's helped ease the anxiety

I have been afraid to take extra of anything but for years now, I"ve been taking magnesium "as needed"- anywhere from 2 to 4 caplets per day (mag citrate and mag malate, but soon I will be switching to mag malate and mag taurate)

I can't exactly explain how I determine if I need extra magnesium at times but I just seem to be able to hit it right.

so I'm going back to doing that. I hope it will help to keep the anxiety level down some.

I googled max safe dose of magnesium and got so confused but I read the thread here on SA and I appears so long as you're not getting diarrhea, you're still in the safe zone (unless you've got kidney issues and I don't- in fact, I have great kidney function, I've been told lol)

• Mentor

Just realized I have another WD symptom - I didn't realize I had it til I eased up . I've got that DP and DR stuff going on.  I thought maybe I'd dissociated (from PTSD) but now I think I've got the DP more than the dissociation

I try not to focus on symptoms when they are happening, trying to distract myself and get thru the day.

I think I"m in a little window right now so gonna try to get some stuff done

the waves have seemed to level out some but are daily, worst in the early am (this morning they came much earlier- 2 am instead of 4 but I actually fell asleep very early, around 9 pm I think!!!)

I don't usually start to feel better til well after noon, and then around 3 or 4 pm I have the first window of the day.

sometimes that lasts til bedtime, sometimes not

I guess a semi stable pattern of waves and windows is some kind of progress........?

Hi Cat, 

I also have DP and with reinstatement it got much much better.  It is good you are distracting yourself and doing other things and not concentrating on WD, way to go!  

From what you are describing it does sound like you are making progress.  Very good news.  I think the key is to stay positive.  I also feel worse in the am and early afternoon and then I start getting slightly better, I guess this is typical in the WD. 

I just wanted to stop by and cheer you on.   :D

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)
  • Mentor

Hi Cat, 

I also have DP and with reinstatement it got much much better.  It is good you are distracting yourself and doing other things and not concentrating on WD, way to go!  

From what you are describing it does sound like you are making progress.  Very good news.  I think the key is to stay positive.  I also feel worse in the am and early afternoon and then I start getting slightly better, I guess this is typical in the WD. 

I just wanted to stop by and cheer you on.   :D

thank you so much!!

I did add something yesterday,  I took approx 250mgs of taurine. I know I wasn't going to change anything but the days are still so very rough that I was hoping it would help with sleep

However I also ate food I don't usually eat yesterday, so that kind of messes up knowing if the taurine helped.

I did seem to make a difference, though, as i was interested in eating, so, that was good

I fell asleep very early, like 9pm. Unfortunately that meant waking up much earlier (wide awake at 2 am) but I think I actually got a fair amount of sleep, I know I woke up several times but feel like I might have slept for a solid 3 or 4 hrs which is  a HUGE improvement

So I will continue with the taurine and may even increase it gradually If I feel its' really helping.

I need to update my signature now!

thanks again for your kind words, it makes a big difference