☼ Happy2Heal: Hope I'm doing this right

Happy2Heal

• Mentor

thanks Andy I'll look into it

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Mentor
15 hours ago, apace41 said:

There has been some good research suggesting MCT's and other "healthy fats" may have a beneficial effect on the brain and, in particular, its internal communications.

See, e.g. the study cited in this article.

https://www.onnit.com/academy/mct-fats-found-in-coconut-oil-boost-brain-function/

Seems worth considering at least in moderation for you.

finally had some time to give that a read Andy, and I'm sorry to say that a study that involves only 20 patients who already have alzheimer's or mild cognitive impairment (neither of which I have) is not at all convincing to me, in fact the statement that it's "groundbreaking research" sets off the red flags for me that this is much more a promotional piece and not real science

I'm also not likely to ever add a highly saturated fat to my diet without very convincing evidence of a true benefit to me. 

New studies are being done all the time to try to pin down what causes Alzheimer's disease and so far, eating a plant based diet and minimizing or avoiding all animal products is showing the most promise for prevention. I already know that too much fat in my diet is dangerous for me, it gave me fatty liver disease and a host of other physical problems. 

I did a screening test at the sr center last Fall, and although I didn't do well by MY standards, they said I had nothing to worry about and should just exercise more, try to learn something new and do puzzles etc. I'd like to have a better memory, but I'm led to believe that my issues are "normal" for my age. Do I believe that? I don't know, I've never been this age before LOL 

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Happy2Heal said:

finally had some time to give that a read Andy, and I'm sorry to say that a study that involves only 20 patients who already have alzheimer's or mild cognitive impairment (neither of which I have) is not at all convincing to me, in fact the statement that it's "groundbreaking research" sets off the red flags for me that this is much more a promotional piece and not real science

H2H,

I apologize that I was rushing and could only grab the one study for you to consider and, as is always the case, articles around research are frequently overly effusive.  The concept of ketosis and the ketogenic diet for brain health has a long and well-studied history starting with the use of ketogenic diets for epileptics, a practice that continues to this day.  If I get the chance to provide you with studies that would be more to your liking I will do so, and if you elect not to consider the potential benefits of fat in the diet because you think it is not right for you that is certainly your prerogative, but to suggest that the whole concept is purely "promotional" is shortsighted.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Mentor

oh no I'm sorry Andy I wasn't suggesting that the process was promotional, only that that particular link you posted came off that way

I'm well aware of ketosis and the controversy surrounding it. It's very hard on the body and personally my body has been thru more than enough already LOL

but as we both have said, and I think we can agree,  diet is a highly personal and individual matter

I think from now on it may be best not to answer ppls questions about what I eat, or don't eat, as it's not really relevant for anyone but myself.

Just like what drugs I've been on, nor for how long, nor how I withdrew, is really relevant to anyone else

what's likely more helpful is other types of coping mechanisms that got me/us thru the process

thank you so much for your concern and for taking the time and effort to share this with me, I am touched and really appreciate it

:)

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, Happy2Heal said:

I'm well aware of ketosis and the controversy surrounding it. It's very hard on the body and personally my body has been thru more than enough already LOL

This a true statement, H2H, and I'm certainly not promoting ketosis for anyone in withdrawal, HOWEVER, my point was to encourage you to consider whether some of the concepts that "drive" ketosis as a means of helping those with brain conditions (stroke, TBI, epilepsy, etc.) might help you as well.  One approach that might be less troubling for you might be increased levels of fish oil supplements.  There was some research I recall on the beneficial effects of megadosing of fish oil for TBI.  Not suggesting you megadose, but use (and/or increase) fish oils to see if you get any benefit.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, that podcast on megadosing fish oil was really good. He talks about fish oil being beneficial for TBI and some of us were talking about withdrawal itself as being a traumatic injury to the nervous system. Andy posted the link in the fish oil/Omega 3s thread. I just got some more fish oil today with this in mind. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, Happy2Heal said:

just as I'll never go back on drugs of any kind ("medications") I won't go back to the junk food, sugar, fat and processed foods either.

love this statement H2H ,im practicing healthy eating for a while but lately I'm getting even stricter .we really are what we eat .

I love your at zero ]inspirational .

Peace .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Mentor
7 hours ago, apace41 said:

One approach that might be less troubling for you might be increased levels of fish oil supplements.  There was some research I recall on the beneficial effects of megadosing of fish oil for TBI.  Not suggesting you megadose, but use (and/or increase) fish oils to see if you get any benefit.

Best,

Andy

as an ethical vegan, ingesting fish oil is not something that I'd find less troubling lol but I can see you're a true believer.

I've done extensive research on fish oil and whether it's worthy of all the hype is up for debate. In fact, I believe that the latest evidence shows that it has little to no benefit and may indeed be causing harm. I do a LOT of research and I just don't have the time to dig up all the links but if you're truly interested in an opposing view point, I'm sure you can find plenty of info on it.

I was on mega doses of fish oil years ago, I don't recall it helping much, but then I was over medicated. I'm certainly not about to start popping fish oil tablets now, I'm far too concerned about the pollutants in them, not to mention, the vegan issue 😉 and many other issues.

I don't feel like being a guinea pig any more for any industry, whether it's supplements or mainstream drugs or procedures. I've had my fill. 

I am very comfortable with the fact that I'm getting all the nutrients I need from my excellent diet (except for B12, which even carnivores are often deficient in) 

so while I appreciate your passion for your beliefs, they are not mine and I don't want you to waste any more of your valuable time trying to convince me, it's only going to frustrate us both. OK?

again, thanks for thinking of me!  I will never be so careless about what I put into my body EVER again in my life, so can be sure that I've given this a LOT of consideration!!!!!!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Good by me, H2H.  You are doing great so keep doing what you are doing.

Best,

Andy

20 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

I think from now on it may be best not to answer ppls questions about what I eat, or don't eat, as it's not really relevant for anyone but myself.

Just like what drugs I've been on, nor for how long, nor how I withdrew, is really relevant to anyone else

Hi H2H,

I've been a silent follower (lurker) of your thread for a while. It has helped me and I appreciate you updating us with your progress. What you've accomplished is amazing. 

I understand feeling disheartened by the fact that you seem to have to defend things that clearly help you. This post isn't an attack on the dissenting voices regarding the fat debate because nutrition is complex as is withdrawal and I can appreciate that everyone wants to help. My perspective is much like yours H2H, the studies on EPA and DHA from fish oil are not conclusive although they have shown promise and there are valid criticisms. 

My anecdotal evidence: I stopped all supplements recently due to apparent IBS and noticed no change in my health or withdrawal from stopping EPA and DHA from fish oil. Although I am not sure if it is your perspective H2H but it may be similar to mine, where ultimately, I like to think of things from an evolutionary perspective: our ancestors survived very well for millennia without supplements and processed foods. Even in recent centuries, we did well without them and in the present day, there are plenty of rural communities that thrive without them too. 

13 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

I don't feel like being a guinea pig any more for any industry, whether it's supplements or mainstream drugs or procedures. I've had my fill. 

Finally, what you said here is profound and commendable. I love this attitude and you have my complete support, for what it's worth. Having this attitude doesn't mean necessarily that we would refuse life-saving surgical or chemical treatment automatically but that we reserve the right to be informed comprehensively before doing so.

Whether you carry on or stop writing about your diet and withdrawal experiences, I have been helped by them in the past and hope to hear more from you when you feel like it :)

2012: 2 weeks of paroxetine, I cannot recall the dose. Strong side effects, stopped cold turkey, had intense, horrible withdrawal thereafter

2012 to 2016: Fluoxetine 40mg daily, sometimes 20mg daily, a couple of bad tapers under doctor's advisement, increasingly bad withdrawal symptoms with each major dose change

Oct 2016 to June 2017: 10-month reinstatement of 20mg fluoxetine daily to stabilize. A very difficult period but withdrawal gradually improved

July 2017: At 20mg (100%), started a linear tapering regimen using water titration (20mg fluoxetine into 300ml of water).

June 2019: Currently at 0.200mg (1.00%). I have many symptoms, most I attribute to fluoxetine, some to withdrawal, and the rest to hypothyroidism. Continuing to reduce anyway.

July 2019: Jumped from 0.066mg (0.33%) to 0.000mg (0.00%); I'm now free of the poison.

My introduction thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/14226-kittygiggles-generic-prozac-fluoxetine-stabilization/

• Mentor
1 hour ago, Kittygiggles said:

Finally, what you said here is profound and commendable. I love this attitude and you have my complete support, for what it's worth. Having this attitude doesn't mean necessarily that we would refuse life-saving surgical or chemical treatment automatically but that we reserve the right to be informed comprehensively before doing so.

ADDED: warning, this will be long!

good morning Kittygiggles,

yes I agree, if I broke my arm and they want to set it and put it in a cast, ok!  But even with my afib- the last time I had an episode, I went to the ER because, silly me, I thought I was having a heart attack, because my health is so improved I didn't think it was possible for me to ever have another afib episode again.

I was actually in afib and could have stayed home, because I convert on my own. However, in the ER they immediately wanted to cardiovert me- you know, with an electric shock!  I told the ER doc that I always convert on my own, she said she'd "never seen that happen in 27yrs in the ER"

well first off, that let me know that she's NOT a cardiologist - any cardiologist will tell you ppl convert ALL the time on their own, it's the most likely outcome, not the least!

and it also tells me that they do INTERVENTIONS so quickly that no one's heart is given the time it takes to convert (actually this isn't strictly true, either, since I've been to the ER twice, refused treatment in favor of 'watch and wait' and did convert on my own both times) 

I signed out of that hospital but into a different one, where they wanted to do the same thing, shock my heart. I refused. I converted in less than 24hrs. without intervention. I did consent to an extremely low dose of a beta blocker, but I've converted without one. I only consented because my heart rate was so high.

but here's the thing- modern medicine is always wanting to DO something to you. They want to intervene in situations  where no intervention is necessary and where interventions carry more risk than benefit.

but they don't get paid for watching and waiting!

and so it with most of medicine or any other industry, and medicine is now very much an industry with precious little actual healing going on. but that's a subject for another time, perhaps. Except it makes my blood pressure go up,so maybe not LOL

as it turns out, I just learned that the NSAIDs I occasionally take for pain have been associated (strongly but not proven) with afib episodes as a possible trigger (so much is unknown about afib, but there are def triggers and they are trying to find out why the incidence is rising)

Quote: ultimately, I like to think of things from an evolutionary perspective: our ancestors survived very well for millennia without supplements and processed foods. Even in recent centuries, we did well without them and in the present day, there are plenty of rural communities that thrive without them too. 

yes, exactly!! A  lot has been learned from the blue zones and from going over old data with a critical eye and with the information we now have.

what isn't happening much any more is people eating whole plant based foods like the healthiest ppl on the planet do.

as far as fish oil goes, I won't take fish oil- period! there's a safer alternative, well actually a couple. You can eat ground flax seed or chia seeds daily and you're *probably* covered, or you can take an algae based supplement (something I've been doing for about a month now) since that's where the fish get the omega 3 themselves (and this algae is grown specifically to be free of contamination, it's not harvested from our filthy ocean) 

I have read/heard conflicting opinions on this from many of the sources I consider credible, and I'm still not 100% settled in what I want to do.

fish oil for certain is a non starter, it's just too dangerous in my opinion (as well as that of many highly regarded nutritional experts)

algae oil may not be any better, I just don't know.

I am digging deep to find the latest and BEST research so I can make my own benefit/risk assessment but for right now, I'm not taking any, and I"ve not seen any difference at all.  I am still undecided BUT for now, I am going with doing the least harm, by not taking any, until/unless I can find *convincing evidence that taking any kind of omega supplement is of benefit to ME personally  (*that meets MY standards of what constitutes valid science)

I've had IBS by the way, severe IBS but that cleared up the healthier I got . Were you by any chance born via C section? may seem like an odd question but I can explain, if that's the case for you.

My IBS cleared up after being on a high fiber, high nutrient density diet for about er, I'm sorry I'm not sure how long it took but it wasn't too long. Six months probably, if I were to guess.

NOW< if I were to eat any dairy or eggs or meat, (and I have, on occasion!!)  I will have IBS symptoms again (esp the constipation) 

so that's another reason I avoid those foods, I hate being constipated, it makes me grouchy LOL

If you're interested in doing your own research on nutrition, which is really the best way to go about it, make up your own mind about the evidence and all, 

I recommend (but do not FULLY endorse ALL of what any of these drs have to say. Where they overlap, I think that there's too much evidence to ignore their opinions, and where they differ, I'm still not sure what to think, esp on the omega supplements. Dr Pam Popper got me thinking that I'd be ok without them, for example, also Dr Caldwell Esselstyn. I am doing more research, but it's going to take longer since their so little untainted science available on it, After all, there's no money to be made in finding out that you're ok NOT buying something LOL so finding research that's not industry/profit motivated is difficult)

anyway, there's lectures and talks given by a lot of these drs and I've watched dozens of them, but these are some of the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwF3BfbZdLU

https://youtu.be/BnHYHjchn6w

https://youtu.be/QDZsg3hv77I

https://youtu.be/AYTf0z_zVs0

https://youtu.be/gxb1A3Q1vC8  (because I have a sugar addiction, the info in this video was helpful to me)

and of course T Colin Campbell: 

https://youtu.be/-t5WbR6M1yI

and many others, I can give you info if you want or you can google the 10 top plant based diets doctors, there's actually about 12 on the list lol 

as far as fats go, even the so called "healthy fats", I don't want to debate anyone on this but for me personally:

I KNOW what eating a high fat diet did to me, and I can easily see the damage it does if I Go back to eating high fat foods, so FOR ME, at least, this is not a good option. I don't want to ruin my liver, it's been overworked most of my life!

Incidentally, I stumbled across some interesting info about skin tags- when I was obese, I had dozens and dozens of these awful itchy skin tags popping up all over my abdomen esp, and other places as well. I was researching how to get rid of them and discovered that they are caused by eating too much fat!

I'm lucky in a way, to know that, because now I have a personal "barometer' If you will, of when I've been eating too much fat- I start to get skin tags!

OH forgot to mention, when I reduced the fat in my diet, ALL of the skin tags I had disappeared EVERY SINGLE ONE! and I had at least 100 of them

Now if I see one popping up, as I did this past winter, when I was eating cake and cookies several times a week,  I know that I"m eating too much fat to be healthy.

I always keep in mind that none of these sources are bias -free, NO ONE IS,  everyone has their own bias. As much as I like Dr Michael Gregor, I know he's biased as an ethical vegan, so I take that into account. Some of these drs are selling products and services and I take that into account. But they have to make a living as well, of course! it doesn't mean that you toss out everything that they're telling you because they sold a book or what have you. Some of these drs could have made a LOT of money in conventional medicine, esp the heart docs, so it's only reasonable that they'd want to be compensated in some way for their work to keep you OUT of the cardiologist's office and OFF the operating table!

Your primary care doctor is selling stuff too, as is all of traditional as well as alternative medicine.  Listen to Dr Pam Popper talk about being a reformed naturopath and her disgust with the naturopaths pushing all these supplements etc. She's also very good about explaining Informed consent!! she's partnered up with Dr Breggin, they are working on a dietary plan for those ppl coming off psych drugs in fact. It was supposed to come out early this year, but I've not found it yet. Will let me know if i do!

anyway,!! get me started on a subject I'm passionate about it and its' hard to get me to shut up!

but seriously EVERYONE MUST MAKE UP THEIR OWN MIND

don't take my word for it, do your own research!! your health is worth it

after all, this is how we got where we are now, we TRUSTED OTHERS who put themselves out there as an authority and we didn't question them, we didn't know how

NOW we know HOW to do it, and we must continue to be vigilant about anything we hear, or are told, because its OUR HEALTH, OUR bodies and minds, and we are the ONLY ones who get to say what goes into them.

• Mentor

and for more info on fish oil, if you trust the US gov't:

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/omega3/introduction.htm#hed5

• Some research indicates that people who eat more seafood may have a reduced risk of cognitive decline. However, omega-3 supplements haven’t been shown to help prevent cognitive impairment or Alzheimer’s disease or to improve symptoms of these conditions. For example, a large NIH-sponsored study completed in 2015 indicated that taking EPA and DHA supplements did not slow cognitive decline in older adults. The people studied were participants in a larger eye disease study, and all of them had age-related macular degeneration (AMD). 
  • It’s possible that omega-3s might have different effects in people with different genetic backgrounds. A 2017 research review suggested that people who carry a gene called APOE4, which is associated with an increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease, might benefit from taking DHA before developing signs of Alzheimer’s.
  • For more information, see NCCIH’s Web page on cognitive function, dementia, and Alzheimer’s disease.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2018/02/20/the-risks-of-fish-oil-supplements/

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/fish-consumption-and-suicide/

from the Washington Post, not your best source LOL but interesting, I'd like to see their references:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/why-you-shouldnt-bother-with-memory-or-brain-health-supplements/2018/03/30/cbf388f0-32be-11e8-94fa-32d48460b955_story.html?noredirect=on&amp;utm_term=.c25cf4ca2828

this is from Dr Esselstyn, I have NOT had time to go over it but will do so later today
http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/fish-oil-should-i-take-fish-oil/

a blurb: Fish oil is not essential. Fish get their omega 3 from plants. It is difficult to be deficient in Omega 3 if eating 1-2 tablespoons of flax seed meal or chia seeds and green leafy vegetables at several meals. There is also research that suggests that those on plant based nutrition become highly efficient in their own manufacture of omega 3. Patients on fish oil are also at increased risk for bleeding, and studies now indicate they are of no benefit for heart disease patients.

http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/olive-oil-canola-oil-coconut-oil-sunflower-oil-soybean-oil-peanut-oil-any-oil-which-oil-is-best/

Avoid oils. They injure the endothelium, the innermost lining of the artery, and that injury is the gateway to vascular disease. All oil is also empty calories.

(keep in mind his focus is preventing and reversing heart disease)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

so far, in all of my research, the only thing PROVEN to aid brain health is EXERCISE. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Good posts, H2H.  I think the one thing we can all agree upon is:

4 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

but seriously EVERYONE MUST MAKE UP THEIR OWN MIND

don't take my word for it, do your own research!! your health is worth it

after all, this is how we got where we are now, we TRUSTED OTHERS who put themselves out there as an authority and we didn't question them, we didn't know how

NOW we know HOW to do it, and we must continue to be vigilant about anything we hear, or are told, because its OUR HEALTH, OUR bodies and minds, and we are the ONLY ones who get to say what goes into them.

I don't want to go any further in the debate on these issues as it is an individual thing.  Each person who reviews the data needs to be cognizant of the fact that there are multiple points of view on most of these issues.

I would also caution people who follow your thread not to assume that "because H2H is doing so well I should follow what she has done to heal."  What works for one may or may not work for others.  Following another's advice without self-testing is not the best approach.  All too often people want to find their own personal guru -- usually from the "Success Stories" -- and hitch their wagon.  It's great to see that others have healed and how they have healed, but it is "fool's gold" to think that is by definition the "roadmap" to healing.

Best,

Andy

Edited by apace41

• Mentor
3 hours ago, apace41 said:

I would also caution people who follow your thread not to assume that "because H2H is doing so well I should follow what she has done to heal."  What works for one may or may not work for others.  Following another's advice without self-testing is not the best approach.  All too often people want to find their own personal guru -- usually from the "Success Stories" -- and hitch their wagon.  It's great to see that others have healed and how they have healed, but it is "fool's gold" to think that is by definition the "roadmap" to healing.

oh hells yes Andy!

and I'll add, I didn't DO anything to heal- my body/brain healed itself in it's own time, and it really seems that ONLY time was what was needed.

I DID things to COPE with the symptoms, and that is all.

I try not to give advice, beyond what's given here regarding keeping things simple, steady/stable and slow- that's the best possible advice for withdrawing off these drugs.

I can't add anything to that!!

I healed, I was pretty sure I would, and I'm pretty sure most if not all who go thru this, also heal

no big secret to it, really- just finding ways to cope with the day to day symptoms, IF you have any. And for some lucky ones who heed the fantastic advice to keep things simple, slow and steady- there may not be hardly any symptoms to worry about!

so no, if you think I've got some magic potion, I do NOT.

I think having a positive and hopeful outlook helps you to FEEL better but I wouldn't say that that had any impact either. It's not going to speed up your recovery if you look at the positive, not to my knowledge anyway. I was hopeful that my acute withdrawal symptoms would end quickly but they did not, they lasted well over a year. 
The benefit of being positive and hopeful is that you NOTICE when things are getting better, and can celebrate that. 

in many respects, I think I'm just lucky. Could be good genes, who knows?? it's surely not anything I did, I messed up going off the drugs so badly. I likely could have saved myself a LOT of grief if I'd followed the advice to go slower.

I think one of the few things I've done, that too few others have done, is stick around to let you all know that I got thru it and it was worth it, and things are good now.

not exactly a difficult thing to do and nothing special to be sure.

Everyone needs to find their own way to get thru the process, and that will be different for everyone.

• Moderator Emeritus

What a beautiful, uplifting post, H2h! : ) 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

5 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

think one of the few things I've done, that too few others have done, is stick around to let you all know that I got thru it and it was worth it, and things are good now.

not exactly a difficult thing to do and nothing special to be sure

It is special because as you said, others have not done so and it is really hopeful for those of us not feeling well to read your inspiring posts.  Thank you for being here, H2H.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg

Hi Happy2heal, Thanks for a great and useful updated. This made me know eating more vegen and fruits is more benefits to me. Your inspiring posts give me hope of recovery and im really enjoyed read it. Thanks.

Mid December 16 lorezapam 1mg and lexapro 5mg

Early April17 updosed lorezapam 2mg, mid Apr17 taper 1.5mg, mid May17-1.25mg, early Jun17- 1mg, mid Jun17-0.75mg, mid July17-0.5mg, End July 17 reduce from 0.4mg, 0.3mg,0.2mg until 0.1mg.lorezapam free on 9 August 2017.

Early Mar17 updosed to Lexapro 10mg , end Mar17 reduced 7.5mg, mid May17 reduced 0.5mg, End Aug17 reduced 2.5mg, early Sep17 -1.5mg, Mid Sept-1mg, End Sept - 0.5mg .lexapro free on 26 September 2017

Supplement- omega fish oil and magnesium citrate only.

• Moderator Emeritus

What a great post Happy2heal, 

Thanks for sharing 💚💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Mentor
12 hours ago, SkyBlue said:

What a beautiful, uplifting post, H2h! : ) 

thanks Sky

hope this finds you well!

• Mentor
6 hours ago, Carmie said:

What a great post Happy2heal, 

Thanks for sharing 💚💚

thanks for your kind words, Carmie

I hope you're doing well

• Mentor
9 hours ago, Miracle123 said:

Hi Happy2heal, Thanks for a great and useful updated. This made me know eating more vegen and fruits is more benefits to me. Your inspiring posts give me hope of recovery and im really enjoyed read it. Thanks.

hi Miracle, how have you been

oh yes you will recover and be just fine, I wish there was a way to speed up the process 

BUT it's better to go slow, much fewer and less severe symptoms that way!!

I hope you're doing well

• Mentor

as I mentioned in a previous post, I am confused and undecided about omega 3 supplements, and it's not surprising, as many experts in diet and nutrition disagree and/or are unsure themselves!!

this is a long article but it makes some VERY important points we all need to keep in mind, about gender differences, genetic difference and lifestyle differences, just to mention a few. There's no one size fits all, we need to do what is right for US, and just figuring that out can be a huge challenge!

I agree wholeheartedly with the author who states in his conclusion: 

"Back in 2012, I was sufficiently concerned enough to contemplate purchasing an algae based DHA supplement. Before making the purchase, I watched a lecture by Dr. Lederman and became convinced to hold off on my purchase.   My position hasn’t changed since then. I concur with Dr. Lederman when he insists that the burden of proof is high on anyone who recommends a dietary supplement in absence of deficiency symptoms.

However, if convincing evidence ends up showing that low DHA levels in vegans puts them at greater risk for Parkinson’s disease and other neurological maladies, I’ll certainly consider supplementing.

My purpose for writing this blog article was NOT to advise anyone on whether to supplement or not to supplement with EPA and DHA. The purpose was to demonstrate that the question is far from settled. I also wanted to provide sufficient information to help readers make an informed decision or to be inspired to gather additional information.

As always, I wish you great health no matter what you decide."

http://www.wholefoodplantbasedrd.com/2016/02/do-you-need-to-supplement-with-epa-and-dha-if-you-follow-a-whole-food-plant-based-lifestyle/

basically the science is just too complex and there is no definitive answer on whether you personally "should" or should not supplement with omega 3 so,  read as much as you can about it,  think about your own circumstances and make up your own mind.😉

here are some links for various and opposing veiw points- I do want to make one comment however on the claim that Omega 3 FAs   "improves cholesterol by raising HDL"  which, as this statement implies,  has always been thought to be a good thing: HOWEVER the actual purpose of HDL was not even known until recently.  Now that they understand what HDL does,  if you're eating a particular diet, your HDL should in fact GO DOWN and this is a good thing. Basically think of HDL as a dump truck moving a substance in and out of your liver, if the amnt of that substance goes down, fewer dump trucks are needed , there's less to transport. In individuals with a sufficiently low enough cholesterol level, fewer dump trucks are needed so HDL goes down instead of up. For anyone not studying nutrition, this may be meaningless to you and for that I apologize

some of the various thoughts about omega 3 supplementation, both PRO and CON and  in some cases, UNDECIDED :

https://www.ornish.com/zine/omega-3s-health-benefits-sea/

https://nutritionstudies.org/to-take-or-not-to-take-fish-oil/

https://theskepticalcardiologist.com/2018/05/30/flaxseed-plant-based-omega-3-super-food-or-faux-fish-oil/

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-health/fish-isnt-the-only-omega-3-source-the-best-plant-based-omega-3-products/

12 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

hi Miracle, how have you been

oh yes you will recover and be just fine, I wish there was a way to speed up the process 

BUT it's better to go slow, much fewer and less severe symptoms that way!!

I hope you're doing well

Thanks Happy2heal, i hope so for slower and fewer symptoms. But still facing waves now and waiting for another shoes drop. 😅

Mid December 16 lorezapam 1mg and lexapro 5mg

Early April17 updosed lorezapam 2mg, mid Apr17 taper 1.5mg, mid May17-1.25mg, early Jun17- 1mg, mid Jun17-0.75mg, mid July17-0.5mg, End July 17 reduce from 0.4mg, 0.3mg,0.2mg until 0.1mg.lorezapam free on 9 August 2017.

Early Mar17 updosed to Lexapro 10mg , end Mar17 reduced 7.5mg, mid May17 reduced 0.5mg, End Aug17 reduced 2.5mg, early Sep17 -1.5mg, Mid Sept-1mg, End Sept - 0.5mg .lexapro free on 26 September 2017

Supplement- omega fish oil and magnesium citrate only.

• Mentor

I guess things have been going well for too long, I was thinking about posting and realized I have  nothing new to say...

it's almost like feeling well and doing well has become almost.... boring!

hope everyone is doing ok

oh, God please let me be bored! 😀

you're an inspiration....keep going!

ds

xx

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

• Mentor
2 minutes ago, direstraits said:

oh, God please let me be bored! 😀

you're an inspiration....keep going!

ds

xx

ROFL

yeh, this is a good kind of bored, eh??

how you doin?

2 minutes ago, Happy2Heal said:

ROFL

yeh, this is a good kind of bored, eh??

how you doin?

had a good day down the shore yesterday....beautiful weather,felt good to be out and about.

today not that great but I've been far worse!

have a great day.

ds

xx

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

• Mentor

thanks DS, you too

I was at the beach yesterday with a good friend

too hot to go anywhere today, and tomorrow's gonna be hotter, oh joy!! so thankful for air conditioning!! :)

22 minutes ago, Happy2Heal said:

so thankful for air conditioning!!

oh yeah,especially since I'm watching my grandson the next couple afternoons.🙂

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

I guess things have been going well for too long, I was thinking about posting and realized I have  nothing new to say...

it's almost like feeling well and doing well has become almost.... boring!

hope everyone is doing ok

If only we could all be as bored as you Happy2Heal, 😂

So glad you’re well. Keep posting, you’re an inspiration to everyone on here. Keep telling your story. New ones come onto this site too  and it’s soooo encouraging to hear about people who are better. It’s inspirational and can help others get through hard times.

Again, Im extremely happy for you 💚

15 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

thanks DS, you too

I was at the beach yesterday with a good friend

too hot to go anywhere today, and tomorrow's gonna be hotter, oh joy!! so thankful for air conditioning!! :)

Looooooove the beach😍🌊🌊

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Mentor

OK so I've thought long and hard about this and I guess it's possible, maybe even likely? that I am still having tiny tiny TINY waves.

I have been passing off anything uncomfortable or "negative" as just the daily ups and downs of life- and that may still be the case.... I don't know.

BUT does it matter? not really, because regardless of the cause or reason, I still need to deal with those things.

I have had some PTSD like symptoms but one thing I've noticed- and this is the itty bitty silver lining of going thru a terrible WD/recovery period: when I have a PSTD reaction or anything similar to a  panic attack, I am able to calm myself down very quickly.

I recall in the past, while on meds, I'd have an anxious reaction to a problem and I could not calm myself down for hours or even days!

now I know what to do, and I do it, and I'm fine in a much shorter period of time.

but in the interest of truthfully chronicling the recovery off the lexapro, I think it's fair to say that I am still have mild waves.

The reason  I say this is because of the symptom pattern- The uncomfortable feelings follow the same 'bad in the morning, get better as the day wears on" pattern that I had during WD/recovery.

and when the uncomfortable stuff has passed, I often find myself in a better place, although it's just a slightly better place.

it's like there's a very gentle ebb and flow to this, much like actual waves on a calm sea.

so I guess there's still some healing going on but that makes sense, given my very long psych drug history.

OH! good news! I am finally able to wear sandals again! I'm so happy not to have to wear hot shoes in the summer! I'm not sure what changed but overall I feel physically stronger and have very little pain unless I over do it (like when I move furniture, I"ll be achy for a few days- pretty normal stuff)

what else? I am DREAMING!! I have dreams now!  and I seem to have my best days following the nights when I've been dreaming.

My concentration improves and my memory too.  I was concerned that my memory issues were due to aging, but apparently it may have more to do with my sleep. 

things are still really good.  They'll never be perfect, cuz life's just not like that but I really can't complain.  :)

In fact, I used to complain ALL the damn time, and I'm glad I'm learning to give up that bad habit, life is so much better when I stop focusing on the little problems and focus on what is going right  :)

Hi, @Happy2Healso happy you continue to do so well....keep giving us those positive updates.

I feel  so sick right now and it gives me hope.

ds

xx

• Mentor

sorry you're feeling unwell DS!!

hope you feel much better soon!!

• Mentor

I started therapy this week and now I'm wondering if that was such a good idea LOL

I saw this same person almost  2yrs ago, around the time that acute Wd started, and I had to stop seeing her because she had no one affiliated with her office who could Rx the lexapro I needed to finish my taper.

She seemed pretty easy to talk to so I thought I'd go back and see her. I had something specific in mind to work on (PTSD issues primarily) but almost immediately she suggests that I get a job (simply not possible, for a LOT of reasons) or do volunteer work.

First off, how does she know that I"m not already volunteering somewhere? 😕 I actually have been but I didn't care for it, so now I just fill in when someone else is going to be away. (serving meals on wheels in a "congregate dining" setting)

I'm also a foster provider for the rat rescue and do some online work for them.

but, regardless, I wasn't going to see her because I needed someone to tell me what to do with my life and my time, I can figure that out for myself

however, it seems pretty universal, at least, that all therapists suggest work of some sort the minute they see you.........why is this?

Ever since seeing her I've been feeling inadequate and like an "unproductive" member of society. 

and I'm going to tell her that the next time I see her, as well as asking her why she felt she had the...right? to be suggesting things for me to do, before she even asked me why I was there.

When I was in therapy years ago, volunteering was always a big thing, so I'd go out and sign up for stuff and it was just awful.... I have no skills to speak of and I'm not comfortable with things like answering phones, so they were all incredibly boring jobs like sorting food in a food pantry or cleaning up, and there was no social interaction at all, they were all jobs that were done by alone, so it only made me feel even more isolated than I was back then.

I"m NOT socially isolated now, I have friends and things to do, so I don't see the point in looking for boring things to do ...

for what?

you know?

so that's my thought for today!! why do therapists think volunteering is such a big thing?

it's also mentioned a lot in self help books but you know, it only helps if you're doing something meaningful and something you enjoy and something that gets you connected with other ppl - that's what I think. 

what is your experience with therapy? I suppose most ppl are working so they don't make the same suggestion that they do for me

I always think they must be jealous that I'm not hauling myself off to a job every day but hey, they are welcome to have what goes with that lack of a job: poverty.  

:P

Yeah,I had atherapist about 12 years ago who wanted me to get a job and I just wanted to discuss what I was going through at the time,

I remember sitting there waiting for her one day and I thought I really don't wanna be here right now,and I just left and never went back!

xx

Hi H2H, 

I wanted to add on therapy thing.  I think it is hard to find a therapist that you get along with and that gets you but most importantly has strategies in place to assist with your issues.  I had a few therapists and I did have a few not so great experiences .  I remember one time I went to see this lady who kept telling me things about aliens and I was so freaked out I ran out of there and did not come back.  The other therapist I had was nice and she listened but I felt that she had no help for me to offer and was agreeing with everything I said and it was really useless, basically wasted time.  I now started working with a new therapist that I really like,  I have homework to do which I do appreciate with my type A personality and it does seems that she gets me which I do appreciate .  

It is really rude of your therapist to question you about a job or offer you get one without getting to know you and as you said without asking you why you are here and how can she help you.  Ultimately you are the client and therapy should feel supportive and like a place you can let you guard down instead of being asked about your occupation and suggesting you get one .  I am sure she was coming from a good place and maybe thought that by getting a job you can have a distraction but it sounds like it just did not come out right nor came out at the right time .  

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)