☼ PeterSv: PSSD 23andMe results, loss libido and emotions, ssri

PeterSv

Hi,

I wanted to introduce myself and also see if anyone has any input!

I took a low dose of Paroxetine (20mg/day) for 3 months and quit the SSRI cold turkey 15 months ago. It left me sexually, emotionally and sensation wise numb. Much less libodo, less sensitive, less erection, more watery semen etc in comparsion to before SSRI. Also I am much less emotionally numb, cannot feel those deep sensations of joy, less sensation on skin, some hairloss (natural?, I´m 30) etc.

Today I got my 23andMe results back and I would really appreciate if anyone could comment or suggest me to supplement with anything. I am thinking it would be something with my genetics that made me respond so bad to SSRI and not recover. I am eating paleo-ish with a lot of greens, supplementing with Mg and vit D. And doing therapy!

Methylation Profile (geneticgenie)
COMT V158M rs4680 GG -/-
COMT H62H rs4633 CC -/-
COMT P199P rs769224 GG -/-
VDR Bsm rs1544410 CT +/-
VDR Taq rs731236 AG +/-
MAO A R297R rs6323 T +/+
ACAT1-02 rs3741049 GG -/-
MTHFR C677T rs1801133 GG -/-
MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 GG -/-
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 GT +/-
MTR A2756G rs1805087 AG +/-
MTRR A66G rs1801394 GG +/+
MTRR K350A rs162036 AA -/-
MTRR A664A rs1802059 GG -/-
BHMT-02 rs567754 CC -/-
BHMT-08 rs651852 CT +/-
AHCY-01 rs819147 TT -/-
AHCY-19 rs819171 TT -/-
CBS C699T rs234706 GG -/-
CBS A360A rs1801181 AG +/-

Heterozygous
VDR Bsm
VDR Taq
MTHFR A1298C
MTR A2756G
BHMT-08
CBS A360A

Homozygous
MAO A R297R
MTRR A66G

Sertraline 6 months 2012, 200mg. Emotional blunting and sexual dysfunction during use but returned after stopping cold turkey

Sertraline 3 months 2013, 50mg. Emotional blunting and sexual dysfunction during use but returned after stopping cold turkey

Paroxetine 3 months 2014, 20mg. Emotional blunting and sexual dysfunction during use and stayed after stopping cold turkey

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome PeterSv,

I'm sorry you have developed PSSD  since taking Paroxetine. Did you have these symptoms while you were taking it, or only after you stopped? Unfortunately, this is something which does happen to some people as a result of these kinds of drugs, many do recover over time. We have a topic on it: Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction (PSSD) - Symptoms and self ...

Did you experience any other withdrawal symptoms?

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

We are not able to analyze the data from genetic testing, but I think there are some online sites which provide this service for a fee, maybe someone else here understands what some of this means. All I know is that the Homozygous (+/+) mutations are the ones that can cause the most problems.  I bought the kit from 23andme too, but still haven't got around to doing it and sending it off, I don't think its going to be as helpful as what I believed originally.

It sounds like you have a good diet, that will help with recovery. What kind of therapy are you having?

I'm glad you found us, we are a friendly, supportive community. You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Bookmarking or following your topic makes it easy to find again.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

September 2011 - 75 mg Effexor, 15 mg Mirtazapine
September 2012 - CT. Developed PSSD (mostly erectile dysfunction and diminished enjoyment of sex).
January 2016 - Symptoms persist, no improvements. In fact, things seem worse now than they were in the first year.

Welcome PeterSv,

I'm sorry you have developed PSSD  since taking Paroxetine. Did you have these symptoms while you were taking it, or only after you stopped? Unfortunately, this is something which does happen to some people as a result of these kinds of drugs, many do recover over time. We have a topic on it: Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction (PSSD) - Symptoms and self ...

Did you experience any other withdrawal symptoms?

It sounds like you have a good diet, that will help with recovery. What kind of therapy are you having?

I'm glad you found us, we are a friendly, supportive community. You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Bookmarking or following your topic makes it easy to find again.

Petunia.

Hi Petunia!

Thanks for your comment and I have updated my signature:)

I had these symptoms as I was using the drug as well. But I was normal for a couple of days after quitting, enjoying life and sex. Then the symptoms came back again..

I have more symptoms yes, for example:

Feel isolated from the world and not in contact with other people, family does not feel close. Not motivated in career or life in general. Faint and light heartbeat, not strong as it used to be. Difficulty in word finding, tired brain, brain fog. Difficulty assimilating new information, memory loss. Lack of dreaming. Loss of appetite. 

I am doing therapy that helps me with worrying, rumination as well as obsessive thoughts. PM if you want more info!

Sertraline 6 months 2012, 200mg. Emotional blunting and sexual dysfunction during use but returned after stopping cold turkey

Sertraline 3 months 2013, 50mg. Emotional blunting and sexual dysfunction during use but returned after stopping cold turkey

Paroxetine 3 months 2014, 20mg. Emotional blunting and sexual dysfunction during use and stayed after stopping cold turkey

Thanks, I have already enrolled!

Nancy Mullan MD has a weekly call-in hour for questions. I've never participated, it may just be an infomercial. She works with Amy Yasko who is a big SNP checker. www.nancymullanmd.com

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

Welcome, Peter.

It sounds like you have PSSD and emotional anesthesia, which is a very common symptom once off psychiatric drugs.

What we see is that, if you take care of yourself, symptoms very gradually go away, often in a frustrating pattern of The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Also see What is withdrawal syndrome?

We would all like to know why some people seem to quit these drugs without a problem, while others have great difficulty. Genetic analysis is nowhere near answering this question, or most others.

Personally, I do not put much store in "treatment" of MTHFR variations, which are normal mutations shared by a great number of people. You are better off listening to your body and doing what it needs to stay healthy.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, Peter.

It sounds like you have PSSD and emotional anesthesia, which is a very common symptom once off psychiatric drugs.

What we see is that, if you take care of yourself, symptoms very gradually go away, often in a frustrating pattern of The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Also see What is withdrawal syndrome?

We would all like to know why some people seem to quit these drugs without a problem, while others have great difficulty. Genetic analysis is nowhere near answering this question, or most others.

Personally, I do not put much store in "treatment" of MTHFR variations, which are normal mutations shared by a great number of people. You are better off listening to your body and doing what it needs to stay healthy.

Hi Altostrata and thank you for welcoming. I will read the threads and take as good care of myself as possible. The therapy I am doing I think at last is helping and if so, I hope I will get better and better with my physical health as well.

PeterSv, have you enrolled in the PSSD study? It officially starts today. If you send an email today maybe they will still accept you.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9674-take-part-in-new-post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction-pssd-study/?hl=pssd

September 2011 - 75 mg Effexor, 15 mg Mirtazapine
September 2012 - CT. Developed PSSD (mostly erectile dysfunction and diminished enjoyment of sex).
January 2016 - Symptoms persist, no improvements. In fact, things seem worse now than they were in the first year.

• 2 years later...

How is your PSSD now, Petersv?

Zoloft 50 mg from April 23, 2015 to August 28th, 2016 (1 year, 4 months).

4 week taper. Last dose on August 28, 2016

Mianserin 30 mg in an attempt to reverse PSSD from September 6th, 2017–around mid November 2017 after a few week taper. Did not fix PSSD

Currently taking: Melatonin and magnesium every night.

• 7 months later...

Hi. Last post before delting my account. I had forgotten all about PSSD and living a pretty normal life with pretty good libido and overall good wellbeing. In my opinion it is a hard equation to have good libido while feeling depressed and spending your day on the internet searching for information about how broken you are. I went to a councler but did the work mostly myself, doing what I needed to feel good cognitively and emotionally and doing things I enjoy. But it is good to ask for help, try to find someone you trust. Working out but also resting. For me sexual interest comes when I am in a good place and not when I am desperate and feel hopelessness. Also I met an attractive girl I feel in love with and I sexually it just worked. If I had "true PSSD" or if most was "imagined" or it was there for other reasons I don´t know. But I percieved my 1-2 years as feeling low, worriyng a lot, having low interest in life, low libido etc. Today I feel more normal. But it took time and I needed to take care of myself. My strategy was going off internet, meeting people, doing activities, also resting, getting my life under control and mental and physical wellbeing. My only reason for posting this is to give you some hope. This was my story, you will create yours.

Good luck

Peter

• Administrator

Good to hear you're doing better.

This calls for our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to be added to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.