Jaysmd: New and need help

Jaysmd

I found this thread while doing a frantic google search, trying to find answers to why I'm feeling the way I am.

As sad as it is reading these many pages, it's comforting knowing that others have experienced what I am now and that there May be a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'll share my story...

After struggling with an anxiety issue I was placed on antidepressants. I obviously don't respond well because over a 3 year period of trying different ones I was getting worse not better.

I decided to rid myself of these horrible pills that do nothing but make me feel sick. The last medication I was on was effexor and I tapered down over a 2 month period while bridging with prozac. I took my last dose exactly 3 months ago and although I experienced withdrawal symptoms for a few weeks after it wasn't unbearable, then it felt like a weight was lifted... I could see clearly again, think clearly again, I felt great. The best I had felt in years. Even went on vacation and was able to feel excitement and joy, it was wonderful!

Then 2 weeks ago it just hit me like a brick in the face. All my symptoms while on the meds came rushing back all at once. Anxiety is at an all time high, I feel exhausted, my eyes hurt, my muscles ache, I'm having panic attacks in my sleep!

Its so upsetting because over the last 6-8 weeks I have felt the best I ever felt and it's been taken away from me and I have been put right back into that dark place. It feels like I'm being punished and now those good feelings I had are distant memories.

I'd like to think things will get better again but this has really hurt me and its hard to have hope!

It's hard to believe that withdrawal symptoms can resurface 3 months later (especially after feeling myself again) just doesn't make sense!

The doctor tells me my original anxiety and depression has resurfaced and I need to go back on the antidepressants. I refuse to believe that and I will not put myself through that just to go through all this again if that makes sense..

Over 3 years tried Paxil, Pristiq, valdoxon, lexapro, zoloft - told this isn't the one for me. 'here try another, might be better for you' thanks doc! No positive results on any!

Last took effexor xr for 8 months - tapered off over 8 week. Prozac bridge at 4 weeks

September 29, 2015 last pill

Currently med free

Going on 3 months withdrawn - withdrawal symptoms have hit. Will I ever be the same again?

Hi Jay-- welcome to the group.  I moved your post to its own thread in the Introduction forum where it will get a lot more notice.  Effexor is a very trick drug to get off of and needs to be tapered slowly and methodically.  The two months that you took, although they seemed to be enough, was actually way too fast.  These drugs tend to have a honeymoon period after a person comes off of them too fast where they feel wonderful.  Then, just like you, they get hit by a ton of bricks.  You are correct in not believing what your doctor is telling you about your original condition coming back, you're experiencing WD symptoms pure and simple.  However, going back on the effexor getting stable and tapering off slowly is going to be your best bet for feeling better.  Here are a couple of links to information that will help you understand what is going on:

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

If you would please fill out a signature block it would really help us to see things clearly.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thankyou for your reply! I'll look over those links.

The medications definatly amplified my symptoms so I guess the quicker I could get away the better, or so I thought.

In my 3 years I had been on paxil, Pristiq, valdoxon, zoloft, lexapro, effexor and prozac.

So after all that, to feel normal again was a blessing...

Just a window I guess

Over 3 years tried Paxil, Pristiq, valdoxon, lexapro, zoloft - told this isn't the one for me. 'here try another, might be better for you' thanks doc! No positive results on any!

Last took effexor xr for 8 months - tapered off over 8 week. Prozac bridge at 4 weeks

Currently med free

Going on 3 months withdrawn - withdrawal symptoms have hit. Will I ever be the same again?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jay,

Welcome to SA.  You've joined a very supportive group of people going through similar things.  There is a wealth of information here.  If you click on the Follow this Topic (top right) your will be notified when someone replies.

Also, a couple of things that helped me to understand what is happening is a video on Healing from Antidepressants and also an analogy Brain Remodelling.  Understanding what is happening may help you make you decide what you need to do.

All the best, CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thankyou for that.

Is there many more Australians on here?

I'm from Sydney, the lack of help in regards to mental health back home is ridiculous. I'm living in Canada at the moment where it's taken a little more serious and the help is provided cost free

Currently med free

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes there are lots of Aussies.  australia-members-please-check-in-here/

Some are blow-ins.  I think someone is from England and a couple that I know of are from USA.

I did an online workshop through mindspot last year which is government funded through the Macquarie University.  It was well worthing doing.  8 weeks with support for 3 months (I think).  We do have an entitlement to "x" number of free mental health visits through a GP.  Things seem to be changing for the better.

CC

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

3 months wait and $400 to see a psychiatrist in Sydney

3 weeks and covered by health care to see a psychiatrist here in Alberta, Canada.

Either way it's just the same outcome, 'we would like to try you on a different antidepressant'

Currently med free

By the way, the 2 month bridge and taper was designed by the psychiatrist. He just failed to mention I would get a slap in the face 3 months after my last pill.

Currently med free

• Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately that is a very common story on this site.  I haven't even told my doctor that I am tapering by 10%.  When I told him that I got zaps if I missed tablets and I suggested taking 50 + 25 he looked up and found that 25s aren't available here so he said take 100 & 50s on alternate days.  Instead of doing that I went straight to 50 for 2 weeks which is when I found this site, thank God.

The staff here (all volunteers) know their stuff.  I understand you don't want to be on the medication but you might want to consider re-instating a small dose of effexor then hold until stabilised and then taper slowly.  Once you have read the info, it will help you understand why this is suggested.

BTW you can use this Intro Topic for any questions and ongoing updates of your recovery.

CC

It's hard to reinstate something that didn't ever make me feel good in the first place.

I do appreciate you're advise though. I'll be sure to have a good proper look through the forum when I'm up to taking all the information in

Currently med free

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jay,

You said you were taking prozac at some stage.  Could you please update your signature to include this and any other meds you have been taking with dates if possible?  Thanks.  I will help people to better assist you with suggestions.

If you do decide to re-instate I'd like to suggest that you post here first so that someone can advise about the dose you could start on.  You don't go back on the old dose, you start low.

CC

*updated

Currently med free

Welcome to sa

You have found a place desired  by millions but found by few.

I found this thread while doing a frantic google search, trying to find answers to why I'm feeling the way I am.

Me too. (well not this one but a prior online support group)

Your post is just all too common of what is flooding in everyday here.

I tapered down over a 2 month period while bridging with prozac.

The prozac bridge is a widely held belief by doctors that has created a huge mess for people. Doctors have been told that the long half life of Prozac makes weaning easy, not fact. First, switching can create havoc on the brain (Prozac can be very anxiety producing) and the long half life truly only delays the symptoms.
Some have managed to pull this off but the stakes are high.

I took my last dose exactly 3 months ago and although I experienced withdrawal symptoms for a few weeks after it wasn't unbearable, then it felt like a weight was lifted... I could see clearly again, think clearly again, I felt great. The best I had felt in years. Even went on vacation and was able to feel excitement and joy, it was wonderful!
Then
2 weeks ago it just hit me like a brick in the face.

This kind of a honeymoon period that Brass mentioned is in and of itself a withdrawal symptom its a form of hypermania (was that  hypo or hyper ? anyway ..).

It's hard to believe that withdrawal symptoms can resurface 3 months later (especially after feeling myself again) just doesn't make sense!

Yep this is how this monster works withdrawal symptoms are delayed and presenting to the doc to get answers has a very predictable outcome (which clearly has no geographical boundaries)....it goes like this ...

The doctor tells me my original anxiety and depression has resurfaced and I need to go back on the antidepressants.

and then  'we would like to try you on a different antidepressant'  ... its just a matter of finding the one thats right for you they say

This is what happened to me i was told i had an underlying depression i replied that is not right...and then i took back responsibility for my healthcare.

Its plainly wrong to interpret the symptoms that occur after abrupt drug withdrawal as original anxiety and depression.

Very few doctors acknowledge withdrawal.

'Your drug may be your problem' ...did you know that is the title of a book by P Breggin. Perhaps more accurate to say has been not may be.

Your brain and cns have been left very impaired if you cannot imagine tolerating this for many months to come (receding in time) then you will need to read and consider the link on reinstating from Brassmonkey.

Are you able to tell us how much effexor you were on ...75mg?

I would be interested to hear how they attempted the prozac bridge.

So glad you found sa.

You are not alone.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I got as high as 300mg but when I began coming off I was on 225mg

When I had made it down to 150mg I was given the Prozac 10mg per day

Eventually when I was down to taking no more effexor I continued the Prozac for another week then cut that.

Currently med free

I can understand reinstating would work for others. I just don't see how it could work for myself.. I never once felt better or even well whilst on any medication, I'm sure it was making me worse (especially the effexor)

I mean the feeling of constant anxiety and tingling throughout the body that makes me exhausted and unable to function normally after 3pm everyday, that's what I was trying to get away from by deciding to quit all these brain altering medications that obviously don't agree with me.

I feel like that again, I feel the way I did while on the medication so it wouldn't make sense to just go back on it seeing i feel the exact way. Would feel more like going in circles if anything.

Really is frustrating! But good to hear from others rather than a doctor that just tells me I'm sick again

Currently med free

Frequently a reinstatement is not about making you feel better, it's about making you stable and not feel worse.  WD symptoms can be absolutely brutal with a capital B.  These drugs work by making physical changes to the brain.  Those changes require to presence of the drug to function "properly".  Remove the drug and the brain literally can't work right and causes a lot of trouble.  Remove the drug slowly and the brain has a chance to undo the changes and maintain some similence (spell checker has no clue) of proper function.  Look at other peoples signatures to find effexor and read their threads and you'll see what I'm talking about.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Jaysmd, welcome. Sorry you're going through this. Hang in there and it will slowly get better. Just dropping this link for the Neuro Emotions thread here as I think you will find it useful, it's partly why you're having those panic attacks in your sleep. I've been having those too and helping me understand they were largely chemical not emotional has helped me cope better with the overwhelm. 

For now, take good care of your body as it goes through this and let us know how you're getting along as you do. 

2010: Adverse reaction to citalopram/suicidal.

2010-2014: Venlafaxine doses 75-150-300. Began to cause heart palpitations.

2014: Adverse side effects from Sertraline

2014: Adverse reaction to Mirtazipine/suicidal. CT withdrawal. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2015: Half dose of Lorazepam restarted all the WD symptoms. 

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current Supplements: Omega 3 & Vitamin C, magnesium. 
Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

Thankyou!

Every piece of information helps.

After doing a bit of reading around the forum it seems that what I'm dealing with is so common.

I don't think I could bare to go near medication again. I threw it all out in a fit of rage, I never wanted to lay eyes on it again.

My doctors threw me on so many different meds one after another. Raising the doses so rapidly and then cross tapering. Over and over.

No wonder my poor brain is in the state it's in.

I think there is only one way to do deal with this and that is to ride it out even if it takes months!

Currently med free

Hi Jaysmd,

I have been off of Effexor for about 8 weeks now. My biggest symptom still is the brain fog. I recently started Neurofeedback brain training to help "rewire/retrain" my brain. I am starting to notice a difference after 6 sessions of the training. It is a great service offered with very little side effects since it is non invasive (I experience 0 side effects). My irritability has finally disappeared & my mood has stabilized.

It feels like I have "lost my brain" after stopping the Effexor. I did a slow taper. I am finally starting to have good days again - and also starting to make decisions/think again. I am hopeful there is light on the other end of coming off the Effexor.

Exercise is also very beneficial for the withdrawals, it helps kick start the brain. Gut health, nutrition, positive thinking, etc. are the key components to a recovery. Telling yourself you can do & truly believing it has done wonders for me. This is my first week where I strongly believe I will get through it. Set a goal & do everything possible to get there!

I was on 75mg of Effexor for over 10 years - I slowly tapered down to 0 & have been off since the last week of October 2015. I have used several holistic approaches along my journey: Naturopath, Neurofeedback, massage therapy, chiropractor, teas, supplements, exercise, nutrition to name a few

My introduction post:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10478-sarahleo-my-story-on-coming-off-of-effexor/

Hi there Sarah,

I will look into the nuerofeedback brain training thankyou for that.

I exercise an hour and half a day, 6 days a week. I'm big on fitness but that's something I have done most of my adult life so being used to it I don't notice it makes much of a difference as it's part of my every day life.

I think what I find hardest to come to terms with is week 3-9 being off effexor I felt great and things seemed almost perfect but it just hit me a couple of weeks ago... Delayed withdrawal I guess. I don't know about you, I'm 29 years old I feel like I'm about 80. I just feel like sleeping all the time and everything aches.

Good luck to you also hope things continue improving

Currently med free

Jaysmd,

I know exactly what you are saying - I have some days where I could sleep all day (I am 25 & feel like an old lady sometimes). I also have some days where my mood is extremely unstable. I have noticed with the Neurofeedback that things are starting to be more stable & I have begun to get my energy back.

I was on 75mg of Effexor for over 10 years - I slowly tapered down to 0 & have been off since the last week of October 2015. I have used several holistic approaches along my journey: Naturopath, Neurofeedback, massage therapy, chiropractor, teas, supplements, exercise, nutrition to name a few

My introduction post:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10478-sarahleo-my-story-on-coming-off-of-effexor/

I just looked into it for where I'm currently living and unfortunately it's not covered under health care and looks quite expensive per session. But really looks interesting, would have definatly been up to trying something like that!

Currently med free

It is pricey (I pay $100/session) I am lucky my Psychologist offers this in Calgary, AB. which extended benefits will cover since it is being done by a registered psychologist.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

My introduction post:

I'm an Australian living in Edmonton, AB

I'm only entitled to AB health care, no private insurances. I'll look into costs here. Thankyou :)

Currently med free

Darn!

My introduction post: