Justme02: Feeling hopeless when stuck on so many medications

JustMe02

I want to be medication free!

I have many health problems and my family doctor just wants to keep prescribing more and more medicine. I went to my last appt wanting to be taken off of meds and I left with a new Rx for an antipsychotic! That would have put me at 2 antidepressants, 1 antianxiety, and 1 antipsychotic! I did not start taking the antipsychotic. I feel my high blood pressure, high cholesterol, weight gain, migraines, insomnia, fatigue, muscle and joint pain are possibly side effects of my medications! I am 31 and HBP and high cholesterol run in my family, but not this young! I keep putting off seeing a Tdoc bc of the cost and that I may have to take time off of work. My depression is not controlled, but I think the meds are making it worse. Anyone go off their meds when their depression is not controlled? I'm thinking I'm going to have to see a Tdoc to get off my depression meds though. I'm afraid I'll just get shot down.

Medications: Effexor XR 150 mg QD, Wellbutrin XL 300 mg QD, Norvasc 10 mg QD, Flexiril 10 mg BID, Singulair 10 mg QD, Norco 5/325 QID PRN, Flonase, Zyrtec 10 mg QD, Omeprazole 20 mg QD, Melatonin 10mg QD, Albuterol PRN. I often take Benadryl and Ibuprofen to help me fall asleep. I'm supposed to be taking Advair but it's expensive and I hate taking it. I'm like a little kid!

Medication I quit on my own:

Xanax: I took it at bedtime to stop my constant rushing thoughts, but I quit that about a month ago (no tapering).

Seasonique: I do not have to worry about pregnancy, so I quit it as to have one less medication.

Atorvastatin: I think high cholesterol is caused by other medication. I want to control it through diet and exercise.

Medication stopped by Docs:

Propranolol: Rx for HBP. Pulmonologist recommended stopping it bc it can aggravate asthma. Fam doc doubled Norvasc in it's place.

Lisinopril: Rx from fam doc for HBP. Caused horrible coughing and wheezing. Gabapentin 300 mg BID: Rx from NeuroDoc. Did not help migraines or anything else.

Topiramate: Rx from Neurodoc for migraines. Didn't work.

Sumitriptan: Rx from ENTdoc for headaches (that turned out to be migraines). Didn't work.

I had another HBP med, can't remember it. I took Zoloft and Buspar years ago.

Current medications: Effexor XR 150mg QD, Wellbutrin XL 300mg QD, Norvasc 10mg QD, Flexiril 10mg BID, Singulair 10mg QD, Norco 5/325mg QID PRN, Flonase 50mcg PRN, Zyrtec 10 mg QD, Omeprazole 20mg QD PRN (down from 40 mg in Jan 15), Melatonin 10mg QHD, Albuterol inhaler and nebulizer PRN. Benadryl and Ibuprofen for insomnia.

Xanax: No tapering about a month ago.

Seasonique: I was worried about what the chemicals were doing to me.

Atorvastatin: I think high cholesterol is caused by other medication. I want to control it through diet and exercise.

Propranolol: for HBP, Lisinopril: for HBP, Gabapentin 300 mg BID: for migraines, Topiramate: for migraines, Sumitriptan: for headaches.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi JustMe,

Welcome to SA.  I've taken the liberty of putting all of the drugs you mentioned as being current in the drugs checker.  I hope I got them right.  Someone with more knowledge than me should be along soon and be able to review this and hopefully offer some suggestions.

This site has loads of excellent information and the members are very supportive.  It will be helpful if you can complete your signature block as per these instructions.

CC

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major cyclobenzaprine venlafaxine

Applies to: Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine), Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

Using cyclobenzaprine together with venlafaxine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressureicon1.png, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred visionicon1.png, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Major bupropion venlafaxine

Applies to: Wellbutrin XL (bupropion), Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

BuPROPion may cause seizuresicon1.png, especially at higher dosages, and combining it with other medications that can also cause seizures such as venlafaxine may increase that risk. The interaction may be more likely if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous systemicon1.png such as a brain tumor or head trauma. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major bupropion hydrocodone

Applies to: Wellbutrin XL (bupropion), Norco (acetaminophen / hydrocodone)

BuPROPion may cause seizures, especially at higher dosages, and combining it with other medicationsicon1.png that can also cause seizures such as HYDROcodone may increase that risk. The interaction may be more likely if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous systemicon1.png such as a brain tumor or head trauma. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major bupropion cyclobenzaprine

Applies to: Wellbutrin XL (bupropion), Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine)

BuPROPion may cause seizures, especially at higher dosages, and combining it with other medications that can also cause seizures such as cyclobenzaprine may increase that risk. The interaction may be more likely if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctoricon1.png if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate diphenhydramine cetirizine

Applies to: Benadryl (diphenhydramine), Zyrtec (cetirizine)

Using cetirizine together with diphenhydrAMINE may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate bupropion cetirizine

Applies to: Wellbutrin XL (bupropion), Zyrtec (cetirizine)

Using cetirizine together with buPROPion may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate cyclobenzaprine cetirizine

Applies to: Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine), Zyrtec (cetirizine)

Using cetirizine together with cyclobenzaprine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate venlafaxine salmeterol

Applies to: Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Advair Diskus (fluticasone / salmeterol)

Both venlafaxine and salmeterol can increase blood pressure and heart rate, and combining them may enhance these effects. Talk to your doctor before using these medications, especially if you have a history of high blood pressure or heart disease. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. Contact your doctor if your condition changes or you experience increased side effects. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate albuterol salmeterol

Applies to: albuterol, Advair Diskus (fluticasone / salmeterol)

Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.

MONITOR: Coadministration of beta-2 adrenergic agonists with other adrenergic agents may potentiate the risk of cardiovascular side effects. Beta-2 adrenergic agonists can produce clinically significant cardiovascular effects including increases in pulse rate and systolic or diastolic blood pressure as well as ECG changes such as flattening of the T wave, prolongation of the QTc interval, and ST segment depression. The risk is lower when beta-2 adrenergic agonists are inhaled at normally recommended dosages. However, these effects may be more common when the drugs are administered systemically or when recommended dosages are exceeded.

MANAGEMENT: Caution is advised if beta-2 adrenergic agonists are used concomitantly with other adrenergic agents, particularly in patients with cardiovascular disorders such as coronary insufficiency, cardiac arrhythmias, hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy, or hypertension. Blood pressure and heart rate should be closely monitored.

Moderate hydrocodone venlafaxine

Applies to: Norco (acetaminophen / hydrocodone), Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

Using HYDROcodone together with venlafaxine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate hydrocodone cetirizine

Applies to: Norco (acetaminophen / hydrocodone), Zyrtec (cetirizine)

Using cetirizine together with HYDROcodone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate bupropion diphenhydramine

Applies to: Wellbutrin XL (bupropion), Benadryl (diphenhydramine)

BuPROPion may increase the blood levels and effects of diphenhydrAMINE. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. Contact your doctor if you experience increased side effects or your condition changes. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate albuterol venlafaxine

Applies to: albuterol, Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

Both venlafaxine and albuterol can increase blood pressure and heart rate, and combining them may enhance these effects. Talk to your doctor before using these medications, especially if you have a history of high blood pressure or heart disease. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. Contact your doctor if your condition changes or you experience increased side effects. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate diphenhydramine venlafaxine

Applies to: Benadryl (diphenhydramine), Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

Using diphenhydrAMINE together with venlafaxine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate ibuprofen amlodipine

Applies to: ibuprofen, Norvasc (amlodipine)

Before using ibuprofen, tell your doctor if you also use amLODIPine. The combination may cause your blood pressure to increase. You may need a dose adjustment or your blood pressure checked more often. Also, if you are already taking the combination and stop taking ibuprofen, your blood pressure may decrease. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate bupropion amlodipine

Applies to: Wellbutrin XL (bupropion), Norvasc (amlodipine)

AmLODIPine and buPROPion may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate diphenhydramine cyclobenzaprine

Applies to: Benadryl (diphenhydramine), Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine)

Using diphenhydrAMINE together with cyclobenzaprine may increase side effects such as drowsiness, blurred vision, dry mouth, heat intolerance, flushing, decreased sweating, difficulty urinating, abdominal cramping, constipation, rapid heart beats, confusion, and memory problems. Side effects may be more likely to occur in the elderly or those with a debilitating condition. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate venlafaxine cetirizine

Applies to: Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Zyrtec (cetirizine)

Using cetirizine together with venlafaxine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate diphenhydramine hydrocodone

Applies to: Benadryl (diphenhydramine), Norco (acetaminophen / hydrocodone)

Using diphenhydrAMINE together with HYDROcodone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate cyclobenzaprine hydrocodone

Applies to: Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine), Norco (acetaminophen / hydrocodone)

Using cyclobenzaprine together with HYDROcodone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate ibuprofen venlafaxine

Applies to: ibuprofen, Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

Using venlafaxine together with ibuprofen may increase the risk of bleeding. The interaction may be more likely if you are elderly or have kidney or liver disease. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience any unusual bleeding or bruising, or have other signs and symptoms of bleeding such as dizziness; lightheadedness; red or black, tarry stools; coughing up or vomiting fresh or dried blood that looks like coffee grounds; severe headache; and weakness. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Minor albuterol fluticasone

Applies to: albuterol, Advair Diskus (fluticasone / salmeterol)

Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed.

For clinical details see professional interaction data.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs.
Note: this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Other drugs that your selected drugs interact with

Interactions between your selected drugs and food

Major hydrocodone food

Applies to: Norco (acetaminophen / hydrocodone)

Do not use alcohol or medications that contain alcohol while you are receiving treatment with HYDROcodone. This may increase nervous system side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, difficulty concentrating, and impairment in thinking and judgment. In severe cases, low blood pressure, respiratory distress, fainting, coma, or even death may occur. If you are taking certain long-acting formulations of hydrocodone, consumption of alcohol may also cause rapid release of the drug, resulting in high blood levels that may be potentially lethal. Likewise, you should avoid consuming grapefruit and grapefruit juice, as this may increase the blood levels and effects of hydrocodone. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions on how to take this or other medications you are prescribed. Do not use more than the recommended dose of HYDROcodone, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medication without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate bupropion food

Applies to: Wellbutrin XL (bupropion)

Using buPROPion with alcohol may increase the risk of uncommon side effects such as seizures, hallucinations, delusions, paranoia, mood and behavioral changes, depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, and panic attacks. On the other hand, sudden withdrawal from alcohol following regular or chronic use can also increase your risk of seizures during treatment with buPROPion. If you are prone to frequent or excessive alcohol use, talk to your doctor before starting buPROPion. In general, you should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with buPROPion. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate cyclobenzaprine food

Applies to: Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine)

GENERALLY AVOID: Alcohol may potentiate some of the pharmacologic effects of CNS-active agents. Use in combination may result in additive central nervous system depression and/or impairment of judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills.

MANAGEMENT: Patients receiving CNS-active agents should be warned of this interaction and advised to avoid or limit consumption of alcohol. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

Moderate venlafaxine food

Applies to: Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

GENERALLY AVOID: Alcohol may potentiate some of the pharmacologic effects of CNS-active agents. Use in combination may result in additive central nervous system depression and/or impairment of judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills.

MANAGEMENT: Patients receiving CNS-active agents should be warned of this interaction and advised to avoid or limit consumption of alcohol. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

Moderate cetirizine food

Applies to: Zyrtec (cetirizine)

Minor amlodipine food

Applies to: Norvasc (amlodipine)

Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed.

Minor melatonin food

Applies to: melatonin

Therapeutic duplication warnings

Therapeutic duplication is the use of more than one medicine from the same drug category or therapeutic class to treat the same condition. This can be intentional in cases where drugs with similar actions are used together for demonstrated therapeutic benefit. It can also be unintentional in cases where a patient has been treated by more than one doctor, or had prescriptions filled at more than one pharmacy, and can have potentially adverse consequences.

Duplication Inhaled smooth muscle relaxants

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'inhaled smooth muscle relaxants' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'inhaled smooth muscle relaxants' category:

• albuterol
  • salmeterol (active ingredient in Advair Diskus)

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

Duplication Antihistamines

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'antihistamines' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'antihistamines' category:

• diphenhydramine (active ingredient in Benadryl)
  • cetirizine (active ingredient in Zyrtec)

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

Duplication Antidepressants

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'antidepressants' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'antidepressants' category:

• venlafaxine (active ingredient in Effexor XR)
  • bupropion (active ingredient in Wellbutrin XL)

Duplication Bronchodilators

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'bronchodilators' category to be taken concurrently is usually two. Your list includes three medicines belonging to the 'bronchodilators' category:

• albuterol
  • salmeterol (active ingredient in Advair Diskus)
  • montelukast (active ingredient in Singulair)

Duplication Non-narcotic analgesics

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'non-narcotic analgesics' category to be taken concurrently is usually two. Your list includes three medicines belonging to the 'non-narcotic analgesics' category:

• ibuprofen
  • cyclobenzaprine (active ingredient in Flexeril)
  • acetaminophen (active ingredient in Norco)

Duplication Analgesics

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'analgesics' category to be taken concurrently is usually three. Your list includes four medicines belonging to the 'analgesics' category:

• ibuprofen
  • cyclobenzaprine (active ingredient in Flexeril)
  • acetaminophen (active ingredient in Norco)
  • hydrocodone (active ingredient in Norco)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks Chessie Cat! It's hard to look those things up on my phone.

Current medications: Effexor XR 150mg QD, Wellbutrin XL 300mg QD, Norvasc 10mg QD, Flexiril 10mg BID, Singulair 10mg QD, Norco 5/325mg QID PRN, Flonase 50mcg PRN, Zyrtec 10 mg QD, Omeprazole 20mg QD PRN (down from 40 mg in Jan 15), Melatonin 10mg QHD, Albuterol inhaler and nebulizer PRN. Benadryl and Ibuprofen for insomnia.

Propranolol: for HBP, Lisinopril: for HBP, Gabapentin 300 mg BID: for migraines, Topiramate: for migraines, Sumitriptan: for headaches.

• Moderator Emeritus

You're welcome :)  I put them in more for the mods - saving them a bit of time so they can make suggestions to help.

CC

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Am I wrong in trying to get off of AD meds when my depression is not controlled? I feel all my stupid meds are causing my problems. I saw on Facebook an illustration showing the medication circle, taking more and more medicine to treat the side effects of the other medicines. I wish I'd saved it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi JustMe,

No you are not wrong in trying to get off them!  Sorry if I worried you by pasting the drug interactions.  I'll admit that my brain isn't working too well this morning, but I hadn't realised until now. :blush:

Unfortunately so many people (including me) are put on ADs without knowing the full implication of them, and definitely without knowing how to get off them.  Doctors etc do not know how they work and many of they don't understand how to get off them safely.  I was told the the Chemical Imbalance reason that I will be on this for life (like a diabetic needing insulin) BUT IT IS A MYTH.  The medications change our brains which is why we have to slowly taper to allow are brains the chance to change to handle not having the chemicals.

However, it is a long process which requires a lot of patience.  When you get a chance check out these links, they will help you understand what is happening in the brain and why we need to taper slowly:

It would be advisable to wait until one of the mods comes in and makes suggestions about how you could go about tapering and what you could taper first/together.

Once again, my apologies.  I hope this information helps and that someone comes in soon to assist you.  Take care.

CC

Hi Justme, I can't believe your doctor is just shoving more meds at you! That is insane, I hope you can find a better doctor to help you deal with all this. I've kind of had to take things into my own hands, and tell the doctors what I needed. I wish I had told them years ago I wanted off all drugs, they were never a good answer to anything for me. Good luck with figuring this all out!

Sarah

1975--first signs of depression

1981--started on imipramine (Tofranil) for IBS and depression

1983-1986--severe depression, rotated through several drugs, on MAOI for one year, eventually back to tricyclics

1986-1994--chronic low grade depression, on tricyclics

1994-96--severe depression, rotated through several drugs inc. Prozax, Effexor, etc..

1996-2013--chronic low grade depression, SAD, on amitryptiline usual dose 12.5-25mg

flurazepam (Dalmane) as needed for insomnia

2013--developed temazepam (Restoril) dependance for 2 months, tapered off over 1 month

started bio-identical progesterone 5 mg., depression has lifted completely to this day

March 2016--forced to c/t both amitryptiline and flurazepam, zolpidem not helpful

reinstated small dose (.5 mg) amitryptiline due to stomach issues and tapering w/titration

June 19th--jumped from amitryptiline--drug free!

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Justme02!

I suspect that the depression you have now isn't the same depression you had before going on meds.  These meds actually cause us to have MORE depression; studies have shown we become more prone to depression due to the drugs!  Paradoxical!  It may be due to tolerance withdrawal, even.  Our bodies adapt to the same level of drug and react as if withdrawing; the usual response to that is to up the dosage, a veritable arms race with the nervous system, leaving us in an even worse bind at a higher level of drug when tolerance withdrawal sets in yet again.

Yours is a complicated scenario with all the different drugs, so I'm sure the pros will be along shortly to help you decide which med to taper first.  It is not advised to cold turkey any of the psych meds, or to co-taper.  You may still be depressed, but your system has rebuilt itself with the cocktail as part of the equation, so it will take some artful tapering to tease things apart and get them back to the factory default.  Likely your current depression is more a neuro-emotion.

I took Effexor for 12 years and still had periods of depression throughout, probably correlating with when I dropped the dosage on my own.  I can honestly say that I am feeling better now than I have in the last 20 years on these meds, and I am now on about 29 mg Effexor and 15 mg Remeron.

You've probably learned about the upregulation/down-regulation of neurotransmitter receptors in response to the drugs' actions.  It is not just a matter of getting the drugs out of your system as so many believe.  It is about the neuronal remodeling that took place on the drugs and the changes back that take time.  

You are way too young to be on all those meds and have those health issues!  I wouldn't be surprised if this all came about from over-medicating!

I am glad you found this place.  You are fortunate to discover so young that this is not the road for you!  It took me until 49 to figure that out!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Justmed and welcome to s/a,

It is very understandable that you are worried about how you will manage depression when you are not taking meds.  The big belief in society right now is that meds fix us.  But it sounds like you've got to the stage where you are realising this is not accurate.  I initially started antidepressants to control my depression.  Over 5 years later I was in a worse state than ever, so here I am tapering.  And here you are too :)

I believe depression can affect us at times in our lives, but that it isn't a fixed condition.  It's more a natural response to difficult things or to being unsupported.  I believe we can learn to manage those times when depression is with us.  And whether the depression has some external cause or is a result of your meds or even a withdrawal symptom, you can manage it in pretty much the same ways.  

I like to build up a strong 'nest' of many different supportive and healing things.  Have a look in the Symptoms and Self-care thread for ideas.  My favourite topic is Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms.  I now feel very capable of coping with depression, and I believe others can learn this also.  We have so much more strength than doctors give us credit for.  I would encourage you to make this your focus both now and during your taper. 

I'm going to leave it to the more experienced mods to advise on which to taper first, but you can read this for starters:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-which-drug-to-taper-first/

For now it's just one step at at time - you'll eventually work out a gentle plan and head towards being drug-free.

Best wishes,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Welcome Justme,

How on earth did such a cocktail get to this??

Thats a huge number of  red flags (major ) for one person.

Gosh no wonder you are so sick. 

If the rumour is true that docs are getting pharma prescribing commissions then your doc must be doing very nicely.

Good for you for refusing the antipsychotic.

Have you considered getting a new doctor ...one who can work with you to get you drug free.

Gosh what drug do you start to taper first?

Taking 2 antidepressants could be opening you up for serotonin syndrome so i reckon priority could be given to getting off one of these first. (at the 10% rate of course..)

You might like to read one of these,

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

or

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

However thanks to the interactions checker result posted by cc it can be seen you have exceeded other categories too ....

Maybe there is something that takes even greater priority?

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

I have read on here that Wellbutrin is definitely the easier of the two to come off of, so maybe that one can be dispensed with first.  Effexor is a bear and needs to be handled with kid gloves.  I a grappling with that one myself. 

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hey SG always great to read your thoughts ...i on the other hand was thinking towards effexor but for the same reason.

Do the difficult one first.

If you go off wellbutin first there is nothing softening the fall when effexor is tapered.

But i guess it could go both ways right.

There are pros and cons all ways

How about flip a coin?

Decisions ....not easy eh!

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi JustMe,

It's great to have responses from others, as different members offer suggestions from their own experiences.

JustMe, I want you to know that even though it is scary and feels extremely overwhelming when you first arrive at SA, with the wonderful support and encouragement you will get from people here, you'll soon be on your way.  I, like NZ, think it may be worth considering finding a new doctor.

Use this Topic to ask questions (and there are no stupid questions when it comes to getting off these meds) and as a journal of your progress.  It makes a good record for you to look back on to see improvements.  If you do see a doctor it is advisable to post their suggestion here before following their advice.

I noticed that you have Followed this Topic, so you'll receive a notification when there has been a reply posted.

Understanding what is happening and knowing that you can do something about it is the start of this journey so you've already begun.

Take care.  CC

I noticed that you have Followed this Topic,

Hey cc you sneaky cat how do you know that.......?????

Later.....oooooow ..

....well well well ....i just learnt something new...

oh no people can see who i am following.....

ahhhhh..........just realized something ....

...i can look and see who's following me ....eekkkk ! thats scary!

Dont do it nz , ...dont do it!!

Recovering paxil addict

Thank you all for taking the time to comment! It helps me not feel so alone. My family doesn't really understand what I'm going through, even when I try to explain. I am determined now to find a new family doctor and get started on therapy.

Chessie Cat, you didn't scare me with the drug interactions. I looked it up about a year ago when we still had the internet at home. The Flexiril is the main difference, I started that around 6 months ago. It is the only med that has somewhat helped me with my migraines. I had to have the Neuro Doc up the dose recently though.

I am dealing with major stress at home with my DH. I won't go into the details, but he is not supportive at all. The way things are financially due to him I have to work full time. Thankfully it is an office job! I am pretty much dead when I get off work, but he expects me to do half of the housework too. I try to do it on the weekends, but most weekends are spent inn bed recuperating from the week. He's going through problems too, but he won't tell me much of what's going on. I feel he resents me bc of his job (which I did not push him to take) and the state of our home (cluttered, dust and dog hair all around.) I am working through my resentment of him.

I plan on working on getting off of my other medications one at a time, substituting natural remedies with the help of the right doctor, when I find them! I think I will work on the ADs last since they will be a beast.

Does exercise during withdrawal help? What about adding natural remedies before tapering?

The Omeprazole I think will be the easiest. I cut out coffee, acidic foods, and gluten before to be able to go from 40 mg to 20 mg. I just need to put the hammer down on myself and work to get my health in order.

Game plan:

Find new family doctor

Set up appt to start therapy

Change diet so I don't need Omeprazole:

Cut out acidic foods and other triggers

Start taking my aloe vera gel again and eat more fruits and vegetables

Set up appt to have allergy testing done so I can get back on allergy shots and eventually get off of allergy meds

Start exercising regularly to bring down HBP and weight

Thanks again!

Hi JustMe02,

I can't comment in drug cocktail as its waaay above my pay grade but couple things I saw:

- you work and can work, this is major asset!

- exercise helps me, but I have done sports before withdrawal

- I would forget about cholesterol for the time being and maybe even altogether. I had high cholesterol for as long as I remember. I'd rather drop dead from heart attack than take another nasty pill, but I highly doubt that will happen.

- doesn't sound like you are in withdrawal but suffering from a lot of side effects, if at all possible don't let it get to withdrawal syndrome. I had some bad side effects and couldn't wait to get off, in withdrawal it is exponentially much worse and holding down a job even a basic one may be very challenging.

10/2012 - Lexapro 10mg

2013/2014 - Started experiencing visual disturbances, like visual processing was slow, feeling drunk all the time

9/2014 - Lexapro 5mg, didn't notice any withdrawal, drunk feeling went away

2015 - Drunk feeling came back

5/2015 - Lexapro 2.5mg - 1.25mg - insomnia started

6/2015 - Lexapro 0.625mg

7/2015 - Severe symptoms started, in desperation on advice of pdoc restarted 5mg Lexapro - total disaster

8/2015 - Lexapro 5mg, disoriented, sleepless zombie

9/2015 - Very reluctantly started transitioning to Zoloft

as of 10/10/2105 - no lexapro, 37.5mg Zoloft

12/14/2015 - 35mg zoloft, 1/16/2016 - 34mg

Additional medical history: I tried to include everything!

Allergies from childhood. Allergy and asthma testing at age 14. Asthma Dx, Rx Zyrtec and Albuterol PRN. Tried allergy shots. Quit after a while as it got harder to do the injections myself. Parents wouldn't do it and it was a pain to go to office each week to have them administer it.

Depression really kicked in at 16 and at 17 started Zoloft.

Late teens to early 20s: I had recurrent abdominal pains. Dx hiatal hernia and acid reflux. Rx Nexium. Depression not controlled, Zoloft upped. Rx Buspar in addition. Asthma not controlled, Rx Advair. (I go back and forth between Advair and Symbicort, depending on what samples the Dr had and which insurance will cover.) Bad asthma attack leads to ambulance ride and ER visit. Caused from bad sinus infection that led to bronchitis.

Mid 20s: Wisdom teeth extracted. A second AD is added on. I can't remember if it was Wellbutrin or another one before that. Rx Celexa in place of Zoloft. Rx Zantac in place of Nexium.

Late 20s: Rx Xanax in place of Buspar and Rx Singular to help with allergies/asthma. Tried allergy shots again. Didn't keep up with them.

Late 20s to early 30s:

ER visit for asthma. Depression still not controlled. Fam Dr tried to get me to take a third AD. I refused. He was always prescribing antibiotics to get rid of constant sinus infections. Caused horrible damage to gastro-intestinal tract. Started having terrible migraines. Saw ENT Dr, Rx Sumitiptan. Didn't work. Finally committed to using Flonase. Fam Dr and ENT Dr Rx Norco 5/325 mg. Had a CAT scan. Sinuses swollen shut with diseased tissue inside. Had sinus surgery to open up sinuses and widen nasal passages. After surgery my BP was around 220/100. Forced to stay overnight. The hospital forgot to give me my pain meds! Fam doc Rx Lisinopril for HBP. Caused horrible, horrible cough. Rx Metoprolol next, same cough. Finally Rx Norvasc 5 mg. Helped migraines somewhat. Several ER visits for migraines and what turned out to be side effects of one anti seizure med (Topomax if I remember correctly.)

Switched family doctors in hopes I could get off some of my meds. Nope!! New PA piles more on. I have blood work done. Rx Propranolol to go along with Norvasc bc BP was still too high, Rx Atorvastatin for high cholesterol, Rx Topirimate for migraines. Rx Effexor in place of Celexa.

New Fam Dr office doesn't deal with pain mgmt. Referred to Neurologist. MRI comes back good. Each visit we try a new medicine... I think Rx Amitriptyline then Gabapentin. Thankfully I didn't get on too high of a dose of Gabapentin. Rx Flexiril next. It has helped the best of them all.

This year:

See Gastrointerologist for abdominal pains. Rx Omeprazole in place of Zantac Endoscopy/colonoscopy at beginning of year. No ulcers or cancer! Test negative for Celiac disease. Gastroenterologist encourages getting off Omeprazole. I'm down from 40 mg to 20 mg!

See Pulmonologist for asthma not being controlled. After testing Rx an additional asthma med. I get a sample but I refuse to fill Rx. I will take it when I run out of Advair/Symbicort. He wants me off Propranolol due to interactions with Asthma. Fam Dr doubles Norvasc to 10 mg. I had terrible swelling of feet and ankles. Eventually it's not so bad.

Switch from PA to a Dr. She is worse! She berates me for doing research online and trying to figure out what is causing my problems. I want off of drugs and instead get Rx an antipsychotic and an additional drug like Flonase to help nasal swelling. I haven't taken either!

I currently have chronic migraines, dizzy spells, night sweats, heat intolerance, cold intolerance, insomnia, suicidal ideations, mood swings, change in taste, joint pains, muscle pains, pains that feel like lightening bolts, hand/wrist/arm pain, fatigue, on and on!

With my symptoms it could be all side effects or possibly something truly wrong like Fibromyalgia, Hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, on and on.

Family history:

Father: High cholesterol, asthma He has worked around Fiberglass for 35+ years. I worry about cancer with him, otherwise in good health.

Mother: Allergies, high blood pressure. In good health.

Paternal Gpa: Died of lung cancer at 71.

Paternal Gma: Had breast cancer in her 60s, died of heart attack at 68.

Maternal Gpa: High cholesterol, triple bypass in his late 60s after heart attack, needed pacemaker installed in his late 70s, lung cancer found when working on pacemaker, multiple strokes and mini-strokes in his early 80s, died after dealing with vascular dementia at age 84.

Maternal g'ma: history of allergies and depression (where I got it) but she refused to take any medication for either (now I view that as smart!). Also had high blood pressure and diabetes. Those she weighs take medicine for. She kept it from us for 2 years that she thought she had breast cancer. She wanted to die and not go through procedure after procedure. When finally diagnosed it was stage 4 (metastatic) breast cancer that spread to her bones and likely her brain. She lived 5 months after diagnosis, and died at 84.

It is hard to type on my phone. I'll need to update sig with my additional med history that I remembered.

Exercise is good but keep it gentle don't try to break world records  doing aerobic excerise as it can load the cns and set off symptoms.

Its the same with any stressor ..in wdl wrap yourself in cotton wool.

Take it easy.

Be careful out there.

Recovering paxil addict