Seeker53 - coped with tapering. 2 months off fell in a heap. Back on!

Seeker53

Hi Seeker,

I hope you're starting to feel more settled on your new dose.  And definitely no rushing.  After reading so many Intro topics, I know it's just not worth it.

I saw your post in the Australia thread about changing the order of posts so they show up from newest to oldest.  I've checked out the site and I don't think it can be done.  However, if you go to the View New Content (top right) after logging in there are options on the left hand side, for example Content I Have Not Read.  I discovered accidentally (just a short whole ago) that if you hover between the Topic Name on the Left and the Replies/Avatar/Last Poster on the Right, an arrow shows up which you can click on.  You then get the option of going to the Last Unread Post, or if you want the very last post, click on the last link just above the condensed version of the last post.  I actually Right Click Open in New Tab so I don't have to keep remember not to close the window when I have finished.

Then F5 key to refresh the window.

I hope that helps.  I've found that it makes it much easier.  And I only came across because I saw the arrow come up one day and clicked on it out of curiousity, which didn't kill this cat!!!  CC

Thanks CC. I'm feeling quite well. This is day 4 and still no symptoms yet. Had quite a bit on today and managed well. I'm glad about that. But it's still early days so another week or two til I decide if I do the other 5%.

Thanks for the directions on how to alter the order of posts. I'll see what I can do because I use an iPad so no mouse! It's a first world problem lol

S53

8 years on venlafaxine (generic name Altven). Various doses then 3 years on 75mg. Tapered off too quickly with very bad withdrawals. Put back on at higher dose of 150mg to stabilise. Been at 150mg for a year. Stable and ready to taper slowly.

Dosage 150mg. Average beads in each capsule 543

January 2016. Start tapering. Also taking fish oil, vit e daily and magnesium as required.

08/01 started with 5% taper, held for 2 weeks the. Another 5% and held for a month.

3rd March another 10% cut, now taking out 102 beads. Hold for a month then assess.

I've had a week on the first 5% cut. No symptoms yet and feeling good. No anxiety which I'm please about. I'm having another week at this level and then will cut another 5%. This will make up the first 10% taper. Not sure how long I will hold at this level, but I'm thinking at least 4 weeks. I don't want to get ahead of myself so I am only making up a weeks supply at a time and writing it all down in a notebook. So at the end of each week, I can decide what I'm doing.

I'm just wondering about my previous taper. No effects at all tapering - even though it was far to quick. But 8 weeks later disaster struck. Does this mean that my brain coped with decreasing but could not cope with no med? Or does it mean I can taper faster than the recommended speed until I get down to a much smaller dose, then stabilise and slow the taper right down? I don't want to be impatient, more curious really.

8 years on venlafaxine (generic name Altven). Various doses then 3 years on 75mg. Tapered off too quickly with very bad withdrawals. Put back on at higher dose of 150mg to stabilise. Been at 150mg for a year. Stable and ready to taper slowly.

January 2016. Start tapering. Also taking fish oil, vit e daily and magnesium as required.

08/01 started with 5% taper, held for 2 weeks the. Another 5% and held for a month.

3rd March another 10% cut, now taking out 102 beads. Hold for a month then assess.

• Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations, Seeker!  It's going well, and that is so great!

You are coming down from 150, right?  I'm theorizing that until you get down to 37.5 mg it might go pretty uneventfully, but below 37.5 mg will be treacherous waters.  Did you read the paper about occupancy rates?  No matter how high a dose you go with Effexor, the occupancy (blocking) of the receptors never gets higher than, say, 92%. So as you drop down to 37.5 mg, there's not a whole lot of receptors being freed up.  Occupancy is 80% at 37.5 mg, still a lot!  As you drop below that, receptors start freeing up precipitously!  So, small cuts can lead to large numbers of receptors feeing up which means they'll be sucking up the serotonin and norepinephrine and causing imbalance!  So that's where you're going to start feeling it, I am guessing. 

Some folks are so sensitive that they react strongly to the slight changes even at the higher doses.  I suspect long term users such as myself had an arms race going on at the higher doses, with more receptors being added to try to keep up with the drug's actions.  The more drug added the more receptors added, so when coming down, relatively higher numbers of receptors freeing up.

At 8 years on Effexor, (12 for me), it may go that way for you, so best to proceed cautiously.  Either way, we're going to have to be especially careful below 37.5!

I had weighed out a batch of dosages awhile back, same dose as the last batch because I was focusing on tapering Remeron, but I had WD sypmtoms pop up, anxiety, irritability, sleep disturbances, different than the REmeron symptoms I would get.  I checked the weights on my Effexor doses and there were not what I thought they were!  My scale had lost calibration and the gross weights were off by maybe 5 mg (and I was weighing 80 or 85, can't remember), but that was enough to set me swinging!  So, I've since learned that I have to calibrate every time, and even check that the scale is weighing true with the provided 10g weight in between weighing doses!

Anyway, so far so good, and that's what matters!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think that's the 64 million dollar question Seeker - how best to taper in order to avoid a crash months after stopping?

In "Playing The Odds, Revisited"  Stuart Shipko discusses new onset of symptoms 3 to 12 months after stopping the drug , postulating that this may be stress related.  

"   Common themes concerned the abrupt onset of new symptoms 3 to 12 months after stopping the drug, (and) reinstatement of the drug failing to help withdrawal related symptoms" 

See http://www.madinamerica.com/2014/07/shooting-odds-revisited/

I recommend erring on the side of caution , simply because the stakes are SO high.  And you don't know for sure that reinstating will be successful next time round.

If I do get a delayed reaction after I finally stop , I don't want to be left wondering "what if" I'd gone slower? held longer?   At least I'll know I gave it my very best.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks to both Fresh and SquirrelyGirl.

My god this is really scary! In the back of my mind I did wonder if I should just taper down to my previous dose of 75mg and just stay there for the rest of my life. Or even make it down to 37.5 and stay there forever. I want to stay alive but if I had to go through what I had last time, and it can last for months or years, I honestly think I would not want to live with it. I had no control and on top of the severe panic, my heart rate over 120 at "rest" and all the other symptoms, my torturous mind was suicidal. I do know now that it was all withdrawal symptoms but I don't think that this knowledge would help me in the grip of such symptoms. It's a risk I don't want to take. I mean quite simply, if I take the risk and lose, I could be dead! Is it worth it? I read Dr Shipko's blog and it really hit me hard. I don't want to play Russian roulette with my life and it seems that 10% tapering does not work when you get to the low doses. He is suggesting no more than 2.5% per month. But does this guarantee that you won't suffer tardive akathisia months down the track?

I don't think there are any guarantees. Just risk minimisation. But what are the odds? And are they worth it when the stakes are so high?

Just pondering these things............not overly stressed by them, just starting to consider down the track.......and my precious life.

• Moderator Emeritus

If I do get a delayed reaction after I finally stop , I don't want to be left wondering "what if" I'd gone slower? held longer?   At least I'll know I gave it my very best.

I think this is very important.  Need to remember this.

I don't think there are any guarantees. Just risk minimisation. But what are the odds? And are they worth it when the stakes are so high?

Just pondering these things............not overly stressed by them, just starting to consider down the track.......and my precious life.

You, me and hundreds of others.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

The complication is that 'staying on the drug for life' ceases to be an option when side-effects outweigh any benefit. 

I tend to think that when you boil it all down - the variations and possibilities and pros and cons - that harm reduction is the best plan we can work with. 

Slow tapering reduces w/d symptoms, and in many cases seems to prevent them from appearing randomly some time down the track.  It's the uncertainty we struggle with - will we be one of the ones for whom it goes badly?  These are genuine fears, which we all have at some stage.  

I think the lack of accountability by the makers and pushers of these drugs adds an extra layer of grief to our already overwhelmed minds.  If somebody gets us into such a mess, then WHY aren't they getting us out of it, or even showing the slightest hint that they care?  Where else in the world can someone cause such harm with no repercussions?

You are so right that your life is precious - hold onto it with everything you've got.

Karen

PS I was on Venlafaxine 150mg too.  8 months later after tapering super-slow I'm currently at 133mg. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

The complication is that 'staying on the drug for life' ceases to be an option when side-effects outweigh any benefit. 

I tend to think that when you boil it all down - the variations and possibilities and pros and cons - that harm reduction is the best plan we can work with. 

Slow tapering reduces w/d symptoms, and in many cases seems to prevent them from appearing randomly some time down the track.  It's the uncertainty we struggle with - will we be one of the ones for whom it goes badly?  These are genuine fears, which we all have at some stage.  

I think the lack of accountability by the makers and pushers of these drugs adds an extra layer of grief to our already overwhelmed minds.  If somebody gets us into such a mess, then WHY aren't they getting us out of it, or even showing the slightest hint that they care?  Where else in the world can someone cause such harm with no repercussions?

You are so right that your life is precious - hold onto it with everything you've got.

Karen

PS I was on Venlafaxine 150mg too.  8 months later after tapering super-slow I'm currently at 133mg.

Thanks Karen. I agree with the lack of accountability. It's like making the money is far more important than doing no harm. Also apparently, clinical trials don't account for long term use. We are stuck in turmoil while they sit back and count their money, while totally supported by the governments. So wrong.

I guess I'm a bit concerned for my safety on this journey. I think I will get down to 75mg and then hold for three or four months. To totally stabilise and do the same at 37.5. If I concentrate on harm reduction, and don't want to take further risks then I may just stay on 37.5mg for ever. Who knows. I'll keep an open mind and review how I feel down the track. I have a long time to think about it because I have only just started tapering.

I feel so sorry for the people on here who are going through hell. They must be so strong and focussed to be able to cope with their torment. I want to do anything to avoid going through it again. Such a sad and frightening state of affairs!

I wish you well on your journey. I notice that you are micro tapering. Effexor should be banned!

Stay well, stay stable, stay happy.

Seeker.

Dear Seeker;

I have read your story and I wanted to ask you something. I was like you in that after being off for awhile I got severe symptoms. I have been back on my current dose for over six weeks now and although it is helping a little bit, it's still not great. I wanted to ask you how long before you increased to the higher dose did it take for you to feel so much better? I'm considering going to a higher dose. Thanks for your time, Rachel

I was on Mirtazapine 30 mg for 2.5 years because of severe debilitating menopause related depression and physical symptoms. I tapered down to zero in 2.5 months. Five weeks off on November 10, I started having severe withdrawal symptoms. Took small reinstatement and continued updosing until 30 mg Nov. 30, 2015 as nothing seemed to be getting better and I was impatient. Made a desperate mistake and tried two other ssri's for eight days, bad side effects and stopped. Went back to 30 mg of Mirtazapine and nothing else as of January 14, 2016. Slowly started getting better. After two months symptoms became manageable and continue to slowly fade.

I also take 1.25 mg Premarin/Climara patch for menopause symptoms and have to wean off that too.

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for your question. I was in hell too so I sympathise with you. It's an awful predicament to be in. I was put back on my original dose of 75mg Effexor about two weeks after my hell began. It did nothing so the doctor doubled the dose to 150mg. The symptoms started to ease within 2 to 3 days but it took about 2 weeks before I felt like I was actually in control again. I was lucky really because up dosing doesn't work for everyone.

Having now read the info here, I realise that I tapered far too quickly. I took 9 months when I should have taken closer to 4 years. This will be why I fell in a heap and went through hell. It seems to be that the last half to quarter of a taper is the most important. Our brains and central nervous system have to be given time to adapt before we stop taking the med. That is why tiny doses are taken for so long towards the end.

To be honest Rachel, I can't say if reinstating a higher dose will work for you. I have read your history and even though the pattern is similar, each person is different, each drug is different and you may have damaged your central nervous system/brain which will need time to recover. The best thing to do is to ask the question on your personal thread. One of the moderators will be able to assist. They are very knowledgeable and will be able to suggest the best course of action. All I can really do is sympathise with you. It's an awful thing to be going through - especially in the short term!

I do have some questions for you. Do you take fish oil and vitamin e and magnesium? There is a thread on supplements and many people have found that they help. Do you keep a journal or check list daily to assist you? Sometimes there are improvements but they can be slight and we forget to notice them when we are going through hell. Have you read the windows and waves thread? It will explain the wd symptoms.

I wish I had answers for you. All I can tell you is the facts that occurred for me, at that time. I honestly think that I did damage my CNS and brain by tapering too quickly now that I have more knowledge on the subject. I am stable now but I wouldn't say that I am back to how I was 100% before I even started my previous attempt. I'm about 85 to 90%.

Im sure a mod will be able to help you decide what the best course of action is for you. Do let me know how you are going. I think it does help to share and we are basically all in the same boat - just in different cabins!

Best wishes. I hope your current situation gets better quickly and you feel more in control

Seeker

Thank you so much Seeker. Yes Karen has told me to stay right where I am which is what I intend to do. I guess when we're suffering we want to find the fastest way out of a situation and I am prone to panic. My taper was way too fast also, it just seems to be taking a long time to stabilise but you're right, I have hurt my cns and will just have to wait it out. There are some things not as bad like the depression has greatly reduced, I honestly didn't think I was going to make it sometimes. Thanks for answering my question, I was just curious.

With respect to your taper slow slow slow seems to be the way. When I stabilise that is what I intend to do. Take good care and I will let you know how I'm doing for sure.

I was on Mirtazapine 30 mg for 2.5 years because of severe debilitating menopause related depression and physical symptoms. I tapered down to zero in 2.5 months. Five weeks off on November 10, I started having severe withdrawal symptoms. Took small reinstatement and continued updosing until 30 mg Nov. 30, 2015 as nothing seemed to be getting better and I was impatient. Made a desperate mistake and tried two other ssri's for eight days, bad side effects and stopped. Went back to 30 mg of Mirtazapine and nothing else as of January 14, 2016. Slowly started getting better. After two months symptoms became manageable and continue to slowly fade.

I also take 1.25 mg Premarin/Climara patch for menopause symptoms and have to wean off that too.

I take magnesium.

Rachel,

I did smile when you said that we look for the fastest way out and like you, I am prone to panic. I guess there is no quick fix and we know that we have to go slow, be stable and also be nice to ourselves. I think I have always been on the too sensitive side which is probably how I ended up thinking I needed to take an ad in the first place. I don't get the low black depression on the ad but I also don't get the good highest happy feelings either. I'm also starting to get stomach problems again on this higher dose, so I may have to taper a bit quicker to get down to 75mg so those symptoms subside and I will stabilise from there. I don't want to have to take more drugs to cope with the symptoms that the ad is causing! It's all balances, checks and trade-offs!

I didn't realise that you had to wean off menopause drugs too! My doctor tried to prescribe them to me a few years ago but I didn't feel comfortable taking them so I politely refused. I don't know if you have spare cash, but I found yoga to be excellent for menopause symptoms. You can search YouTube if you want to do it at home. It really did help. There are also yoga sessions that really help with depression and anxiety. I don't practise them very often but when I do, I notice results.

I'm glad Karen was able to help you. She's helped me too. It's a learning curve and a day to day thing, ups downs, light and dark. Be extra kind to yourself. Acknowledge how far you have come and how much you have learned about your situation. Don't give in to the fear, just accept that it too shall pass and is just another symptom of the process.

Hugs and peace,

Seeker

• Moderator Emeritus

Stomach problems? There are loads of ways to address that besides a quick taper. Dietary modifications have less risk than dropping doses as a first response.

Check out Symptoms and Self Care for ideas.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Too true Fresh. 

Seeker, you can also read about healing your vagus nerve (which links our guts, brain and heart).  Learning about that has been an important part of my healing from SSRIs.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

Stomach problems? There are loads of ways to address that besides a quick taper. Dietary modifications have less risk than dropping doses as a first response.Check out Symptoms and Self Care for ideas.

Thanks Fresh. I've started reading about self care for stomachs. I do watch what I'm eating. I'm just a bit paranoid about these problems because my grandfather died from stomach cancer and my father had cancer just above the stomach which was removed, but he then got cancer of the liver and died. Sad. Anyway, I will try to ride it out doing what I can and try to keep to the slow taper. I know the symptoms will cease when the dose of ad is lower. But I will be sensible and make sure I follow the self care ideas. If they don't help, I will review the situation. I refuse to go back on drugs to control the problem.

Thanks,

Seeker

Too true Fresh. 

Seeker, you can also read about healing your vagus nerve (which links our guts, brain and heart).  Learning about that has been an important part of my healing from SSRIs.

Thanks KarenB,

Just when I thought I had a bit of a grip on the information here! I'd never heard of the vagus nerve - so I have a massive learning curve ahead of me. I now understand the basics but more comprehending to be done and putting it into practise.

Symptom-wise, I'm doing ok. A bit of disruption to my normal sleep pattern but we have sold our house and are starting to pack after 20 years! We are putting our furniture into storage and taking the caravan and heading out to the bush for a while. So my sleep patterns may be affected by all of this too! I'm not particularly stressed about the upheaval but I have noticed I'm a bit more wired. Not sure if this is due to my first drop of 5% (will be 2 weeks at this level on Wednesday, with the further 5% this Thursday). But I'm coping fine and I don't feel unstable particularly. Just to be sure, I will hold for a month starting Thursday to make sure that I'm doing well. Settlement for the house is on 17th feb, so it wouldn't hurt to hold for even longer and allow that to pass before dropping the dose again. That way, I won't be taking a risk while maybe being under pressure. Hope this makes sense.

Anyway, back to digesting more about this vagus nerve.............

Seeker

Hi Seeker; it took me awhile to find your posts again, I'm not so great at maneouvering around. Thanks for your kind words and I wish you all the success in the world. I was already down a third of my estrogen weaning until all heck broke loose with the ad withdrawal. So when this settles I will continue tapering the estrogen just like any other drug. Hugs, Rachel

Rachel,

Sounds like a good plan. Getting stable is not the easiest but there is so much info on here to help. Good on you for having a plan. You will get there. We all will. It just takes time, commitment and putting new knowledge into practise. Put like that, it sounds so simple and easy. It's a case of riding it out. Sometimes that's a week, a day, a minute! I have learned that a healthy lifestyle involves more than eating and physical exercise. The biggest thing we can do is to nurture our mental/emotional side. Attaining a good balance between observing our thoughts or reacting to them. Again, simple words, but this can have a huge impact upon our chemical balances too.

I hope you get through to stability soon, with not too much angst.

Hugs,

Seeker

A poem I wrote.

TANGLED MATRIX

Greed, corruption, corporations. Power.

What? You can't cope?

Take this pill. Feed the matrix.

Help the system grow.

Numb to life. Side effects.

What? You don't want the pills?

That's not the way.

You must play your part.

Follow the advice of the system.

What? You have new symptoms?

Take this pill. Add that pill.

Help the system grow.

Still you are unwell. Frightened.

What? You need more help?

Take the original pill too.

You must play your part.

Status returned. The system works.

What? You want to slow taper?

There is no need. Follow advice.

Help the system grow.

Inner strength is growing.

What? You are coping?

This defies system logic.

You must play your part.

Emotions are returning.

What? You are starting to feel alive?

You are in control. You see the light.

Help your system grow.

Seeker

Today I was going to taper the other 5% but I have decided to wait for another week. The last couple of days I have been feeling a bit off at times. Tummy a bit quiffy and the occasional feeling of panic - which seems relatively easy to control. I have decided that I don't wait to risk reducing my dose, in case these feelings are related to the first 5% taper.

I also have been wondering what else I have changed in the last two weeks and I realised that I changed brands of vitamin e and the dose is also higher. I know I'm sensitive to digesting too much oil so I'm thinking that this may be a contributing factor. And when I feel the tummy symptoms, this causes a feeling of anxiety. So I'm going to get to the shop today and revert back to the previous brand of vitamin e. Changing nothing else, this may bring relief. So I've managed a 5% taper so far. It's a start. But I must feel stable and well before I taper again so holding is the only option.

So, in a weeks time I will asses again.

If it is wd symptoms, then obviously my CNS was very damaged from the last, fast taper. I guess that I will know more about that when I taper again and the symptoms return (changing nothing else at all). Highly likely that it will be wd symptoms tho! But still no brain zaps. And I got a great sleep last night which is a huge plus

Seeker

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Seeker, very wise of you to listen to your body and hold off on the taper.  I am in the same boat.  I was going to drop another 5% starting tonight, mirtazapine, but I'm sick with probably the flu and now is not the time to change things!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi Seeker, very wise of you to listen to your body and hold off on the taper.  I am in the same boat.  I was going to drop another 5% starting tonight, mirtazapine, but I'm sick with probably the flu and now is not the time to change things!

SG

s

That's no good SG - it's not nice being sick. And you are right too. If you don't feel right, don't taper. I just don't want to take a risk. I think I was very lucky last time that reinstating worked and I won't push my luck this time. There is too much at stake. So it's a bit disappointing not to taper - but in the grand scheme of things, what is a week or two? Or a month or two?

Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon.

Seeker

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped the further 5% last Thursday and am now taking out 54 beads from each capsule. I'm happy that I'm going well. Just the odd "funny" head. Not as strong as brain zaps and they are quickly gone. No dizziness yet either. I will hold this dose for a month and then review. Hopefully will feel up to coping with a 10% drop.

I noticed after the first taper that the first week was great, the second week a tiny bit off. It will be interesting to see if I'm a bit off next week or not. I'm writing every dose change down with the review dates so I don't get muddled up. We need an app for this.

Life is hectic with the house selling, hot humid weather, and packing boxes. But I'm taking care and listening to my body and I'm able to stay positive. Going well. Long may it continue.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sounds good Seeker - hectic but good :).  I write everything down too. 

8 month hold.

• 1 month later...

I did my next 10% taper two days ago. No symptoms so far but I think it may take about two weeks for me to feel any reactions. Hopefully any reaction will be controllable. This is the first full 10% reduction so if I don't cope, then I'll just have to be ok with only doing 5% and taking twice as long to taper.

Still taking vit e and fish oil daily. Magnesium as required. Bought the vit b complex but haven't been game to take them in case they increase anxiety!!!! Lol. I will try them before my next taper in a month or so. It's funny how you get quite stable and don't want to do anything that may upset the balance.

Also, house sold, everything packed up and in storage. We are staying in the caravan at our sons place to spend some quality time with the grandkids. But we all have a terrible cold. We usually avoid sick people. This is the first cold I have had for years. Feeling like my head is going to explode! Have just taken tablets so should feel better soon. Taking it easy til this passes.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Seeker

The B Complex might not be a good idea.  If you react you won't know which one in particular it is.  I think B6 is the activating one.

Yes, I can understand that feeling of not wanting to rock the boat.  After my first 10% decrease and consequent increase by 1/3 I got wary of dropping by 10% have been doing a 2/3 of 10% drop (roughly 1/3 of 10% every 2 weeks).  Unless you have a reason to stick to a period made up of weeks (I did for a while because of work), you could always try dropping less but more often than the month, for instance 3 weeks, so it won't take twice as long.  We don't want to be on the stuff any longer than absolutely necessary.

Sounds like you've managed okay with the house and packing.  I hope you enjoy your time with the family.  You may have succumbed to the cold because of the added stress of the move.

Take care.  CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Seeker!  I love love love your poem!  

Here is the upside of the slow taper - not only do you reduce symptoms, but as your drug load gets lighter, you will begin to feel yourself awakening again.  For me, it was like walking out of a deep tar pit - at some point I could see light again, then I could breathe, then I could move a little bit - small improvements until I realized I was mostly free again.  

So really, the long taper is only tedious for the first part of it.  When the lights start coming on again, you will feel great relief.

Even though the last tiny bit of taper requires more caution - it is also a time when you generally feel better than you ever have since starting the drugs, and you know you would never go back to the full dose again!

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thanks jancarol. Funnily enough, the light has come on a few times over the last month. Some memories and beginning to feel more. It's nice and very welcome.

I added a mild vitamin b complex and have a bit more energy which is a plus.

I didn't drop the full 10% this time. Three weeks into the last 10% I got a few withdrawal symptoms. So I'll do 5% and wait two weeks then do another 5 and hold for 4 weeks.

Doing well tho, and feeling good.

Seeker

• Moderator Emeritus

Another uplifting post :).  Glad you are doing well Seeker.  Good decision to drop more gently.  Your body knows best!

8 month hold.