SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Cippo7: how much time need for safe tapering antidepressant?

cippo7

hi i have take fevarin for 2 and half years and i have dismiss that instant and i was suffering from sleep mind full of thought bad humor ecc if you stop take antidepressant instantly you have some damage? or after the collateral effect pass the brain going in balance again? sorry bad english im italian

Edited by scallywag
tags

-2007/2009 50 mg fevarin raised to 75 after 1 year cold turkey

-2010/2011 50 mg fevarin cold turkey

-7/2015 - 3/2016 20 mg Paroxetine cold turkey

-2017 1 months fevarin tapering 

2018 paroxetine 20 mg for about 3'months cold turkey abilify seroquel 3 months cold turkey

"Its best to not expose yourself to pschotropic drugs ever again and if issues remain then seek non drug solutions. These drugs arent fixing a chemical imbalance they are creating one. And taking them profoundly alters the brain for the worse that takes for some many years to reverse and heal from." thanks to nz11

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Cippo,

Welcome to s/a.  I moved your post here so more people will see it and you can get some answers.  This can be your introductory thread where you can record all your tapering progress, and ask any questions.  It would be great if you filled out a signature so we can see your details at a glance.

Am I right that you stopped fevarin cold-turkey?  If so, you will be feeling some withdrawal symptoms and it can take quite a long time to feel better again.  What is withdrawal?

How long ago did you stop?  If you stopped only recently it would be a good idea to consider reinstating a small amount.  This would help you to stabilise, and after that you could plan a gentle taper.  We recommend tapering by no more than 10% each 4-6 weeeks. 

Here is the link about tapering favarin:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5095-tips-for-tapering-off-luvox-fluvoxamine/

Have a read, and come back to this thread to ask any questions.  We'd like to help you find the best way to get through this.

Best wishes,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

thanks im italian i dont undertsand very well i need to know pls if you cold-turkey antidepressant synthomps are more long and more bad effects right?

but after this disappear in how much in 2 years of taking meds? and after you fdont get any damage or need other drugs right? the brain restabilized after whitdrawal?

sorry im afraid something went wrong ufff

2018 paroxetine 20 mg for about 3'months cold turkey abilify seroquel 3 months cold turkey

"Its best to not expose yourself to pschotropic drugs ever again and if issues remain then seek non drug solutions. These drugs arent fixing a chemical imbalance they are creating one. And taking them profoundly alters the brain for the worse that takes for some many years to reverse and heal from." thanks to nz11

Ciao cippo

What a beautiful language you have.

1. if you cold-turkey antidepressant synthomps are more long and more bad effects right?

yes right.

2. but after this disappear in how much in 2 years of taking meds?

No one can answer this question ...its the great unknown some world authorities have made suggestions....

World authority D Healy has said recovery takes 2-4 years once drug free

Breggin doesnt quantify it but says ...years

Shipko says 5-10 years

It gets better in time.

3. and after you dont get any damage or need other drugs right?

Its best to not expose yourself to pschotropic drugs ever again and if issues remain then seek non drug solutions. These drugs arent fixing a chemical imbalance they are creating one. And taking them profoundly alters the brain for the worse that takes for some many years to reverse and heal from.

People who stop abruptly generally take longer to heal than those who taper safely.

As Karen says when did you stop?

Welcome

Keep us updated.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 1 month later...

Ciao cippo

1. if you cold-turkey antidepressant synthomps are more long and more bad effects right?

yes right.

No one can answer this question ...its the great unknown some world authorities have made suggestions....

Shipko says 5-10 years

It gets better in time.

Its best to not expose yourself to pschotropic drugs ever again and if issues remain then seek non drug solutions. These drugs arent fixing a chemical imbalance they are creating one. And taking them profoundly alters the brain for the worse that takes for some many years to reverse and heal from.

People who stop abruptly generally take longer to heal than those who taper safely.

Welcome

Keep us updated.

I've cold turkeyed so many drugs over the last 10 years. Does this mean It will take me like 25 years to recover? :(

• 11 months later...

hi sorry for bad english im italian i have some questions 

1.i have to taper the antidepressant 10 % too if im gettin the antidepressant for about 2 mounths or 3

2.how to taper antipsycotic and bendiozapine?

thanks i have to taper fluvoxamine abilify and tavor

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

i have to taper off paroxetine but if i have take it for about 3 mounths i have to slow taper or i can taper more fast? for a little period i taked it

Edited by scallywag
moved from 10% taper topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Cippo, you posted about your situation in two other topics. I've moved them both to your introduction topic so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place.

Before answering your questions, we need to know more about your current medications and what changes you've made in the last year. 

Please post for each medication you're taking right now:

• when you started taking it
  • your current dose
  • any changes in dose that were made in 2016.

Please also list any medications that you started and stopped in 2016.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Some people recover very fast and others very slow, nobody knows how why or when. You would think dosage, amount of drugs taken and duration would offer insight into recovery time? But even that has been shown to have no pattern. Usually a slow taper offers best chance of a smoother WD but even that is no guarantee.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

hi all sorry for bad english my name is andrea and i have 25 years thanks for the info in this forum really useful

the question i have is im taking antidepressants for 2 - 3 months i need to taper off 10% every 2 weeks or i can do more faster ?
thanks 
how much time need for the brain for be addicted to psychiatric drug?

Member has an intro topic: Cippo7 how much time need for safe tapering

sorry i have posted another one thanks all for reply

Ciao cippo

yes right.

Shipko says 5-10 years

It gets better in time.

Welcome

Keep us updated.

sorry i have posted another topic pls moderator you can delete it  :(

i stopped fevarin cold turkey after 2 years in 2009

and the pdoc give me bad news tell me i have a avoidant personality disorder instead tell me that the hell i was feel was for the antidepressant i cold turkey very bad times pls understand me my pain the pdoc gived me :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Cippo - I found the other topic you started and have hidden it. Thanks for posting about it. :)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Cippo - I found the other topic you started and have hidden it. Thanks for posting about it. :)

thanks..

what you can say to help me im taking fevarin again like for 2 months what you say i need to do a "cure" for depression for some months or a year and after taper off or  so start tapering off from now?

• Moderator Emeritus

Cippo -  Fevarin , generic fluvoxamine maleate , is sold in the USA as Luvox CR.

What dose of Fevarin are you taking?

scallywag's Introduction

i started 50 mg 1 week then 100 mg for about 2 weeks and my pdoc give me too abilify that is a neurolettic im taking it for about 1 months

• Moderator Emeritus

Would you please post your complete history with medications in one post? It's hard to keep track with information in several different posts.

scallywag's Introduction

Cippo please dont CT any more of these drugs. If the doc says you can then he is misinformed.

And please put up your full drug signature

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

thanks to all really apreciate i will not take it anymore of these drugs really thanks i dont need it i will taper off now all

onyl last question i need to taper off too the abilify? (is an neurolettic)

thanks to all have replied this post   :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you should slowly taper Abilify gradually, not all at once.

What medications are you currently taking?

• fevarin and dose
  • abilify and dose
  • paroxetine and dose

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

Answering a question you asked in another topic:

Here's a letter a woman wrote to her psychiatrists asking the same question that I ask, Why don't doctors know?

Why Don't They Know? A Letter to My Doctor - Mad In America

(www.madinamerica.com/2014/04/dont-know-letter-doctor/)

Why was I prescribed this regularly for six years when the FDA recommends only four weeks? Why is a severely toxic mind-

where fda say that antidepressant should be taken for 4 weeks max? i was searching but cant find it can you help me pls im doing some resaerch

cippo7 -- in the linked article at the Mad In America website, the author writes about the FDA recommendation benzodiazepine drugs such as Klonopin (clonazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Ativan (lorazepam) and Valium (diazepam).

Are you taking a benzodiazepine drug?

scallywag's Introduction

Are you taking a benzodiazepine drug?

no i take it occasionaly like 1 time every week for the question before im taking

- now im taking 100 mg of fevarin for a  1 week and abilify for 1 month

10 mg paroxetine for 2 months and my pdoc say tio taper off(the taper was 10 days 20 mg paroxetine and 1/2 of fevarin after 1/2 paroxetine and 1 of fevarin 100 mg)

started whit 10 now im on 5 mg abilify i tapered fast to 5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

This post has 5 questions for you. Please answer each of them.

Here's my interpretation of what you've written:

List of medications you are currently taking:

- 100 mg fevarin, you started taking 100 mg on ~ 20 January 2017, after 1 week of taking 50 mg (started ~ 13 January)

- 20 mg paroxetine, started taking it in late October or early November 2016

- abilify ___ mg, started taking in early January 2017

- benzodiazepine ___ mg, as needed: usually about once per week.

Questions:

1. Is this the list above with your current medications correct?

2. What is your dose of abilify?

3. What benzodiazepine drug do you take as needed about one time per week?

4. What dose of the benzodiazepine do you take?

5. Are you taking any other medications for any reason? Other medications could be prescription, or over-the-counter (like antihistamine, ibuprofen, sleep aids) or street drugs (like marijuana, cocaine, crystal meth)

scallywag's Introduction

thanks for reply thanks god exist a site like this and people like you

1 yes 100 mg fevarin 10 mg abilify the date are correct too

2 10 mg abilify but i tapered instantly to 5 mg no big difference i see

3 lorazepam

4 1 mg

5 no nothing 

the questions :

1 can i taper more fast fevarin or i have to taper off 10% too if im taking it for about 1 month?

2 i have to taper off abilify too 10% if im taking it for about 1 month?

3 can i taper like 20% every week? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you cippo.

Updated list of medications you are currently taking:
- 100 mg fevarin, started taking it in you started taking 100 mg on ~ 20 January 2017, after 1 week of taking 50 mg (started ~ 13 January)
- 20 mg paroxetine, started taking it in late October or early November 2016
- abilify 10 mg, started taking in early January 2017, decreased to 5 mg
- lorazepam 1 mg, as needed: usually about once per week.

Questions:

1. When did you decrease Abilify from 10 mg to 5 mg?

2. Your first post says you took fevarin for 2.5 years, probably starting in 2014, and then one day you just stopped taking it. After stopping you had problems with sleep and feeling bad, "bad humor".

Is that a correct interpretation?

What dose were you taking before you stopped?

When did you stop taking it -- what month and year?

Answers to your questions:

1. If you started Fevarin in January because of symptoms that started after stopping it in the months before, it would be safer to taper by 10%.

2. You may be able to taper abilify faster. It depends on your answers to the questions in this message.

3. The amount you decrease every month or how frequently you decrease should be based on your symptoms. I can't predict what your symptoms will be.

scallywag's Introduction

i decreased abilify to 5 mg like 1 and half week ago

i took fevarin many times first time 2007 - 2009 at the age of 15-17 i was taking 75 mg and after i cold turkey and have bad expierences like very bad humor crying going "mad" insonnia nightmares headcache 

now im on 2.5 mg of abilify and i decreased to 25 mg fevarin i dont know im not doing 10% taper but im not felling bad effect for now

• Moderator Emeritus

Please don't decrease your abilify again until 4 to 6 weeks after the day you decreased to 2.5 mg. With medications like abilify, it can take several weeks for withdrawal symptoms to appear. It's safest to make sure that you actually have adjusted to the new dose instead of assuming that you have adjusted.

scallywag's Introduction

• 7 months later...

hello all i have write in the past here but my situation isnt good :(

i have been take 3 meds now i have retook it because i was feeling bad but now i know the truth!!!i will not take this meds anymore!!

beacuse i have finally get a job and starting monday i want start to take off this meds can you help me pls?

im taking 

10 - 15 mg abilify

20 drops haldol 3 x times a day

100 mg fevarin

the question is which i have to start to taper ?antipsychotic first? and im taking this for about 2 mounths can i taper faster than 10 % every week?

thanks my friends 

very helpful forum and god bless you all

blessings andrea

• 1 year later...

feeling bad so many drugs stopped whitout tapering

Hi certanly the best thing to do is to taper but every time im taking a drug i fel sad beacause i think im doing a bad choice for my health ...

But my question is for you that are more experienced and sage and gentle to respond to me is really the psychiatric drug is harmful for our life? Can you explain me this? I really need help because i have bad.synptons like agitation so many thoughts massive stream of.thoughts bad humor and difficult to socialize ...

How i can heal from this symptons if not whit meds?like for my thought disorder what i have to do??i cant sleep all night i have cold turkey from paroextine 20 mg seroquel 600 mg all for 4 months now i dont want to take no other drug but if i have to slowly taper please help me

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title to post

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your drug signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Please tell us all your current symptoms.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator

Hello, Cippo.

Going off psychiatric drugs suddenly is a good way to experience how bad withdrawal symptoms can be.

There is no way to reduce withdrawal symptoms except to reinstate a small amount of the drugs, such as 1mg paroxetine, and see if that's enough. Sometimes a very small amount will work. You'd taper off by tiny amounts later.

You may wish to reinstate 1mg fluoxetine (Prozac) instead, because it's a little easier to taper than paroxetine. You will need to let us know how you're doing.

Given you are suffering so, if I were you, I would not worry about taking enough to stop withdrawal symptoms. If you don't wish to reinstate, you'll have to cope with your symptoms with non-drugs methods, for as long as it takes to recover. We don't have any instant cures.

I am concerned that you did not pay a bit of attention to our advice before. Going off psychiatric drugs takes patience and discipline. It's up to you to figure out how to do this.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello altostrata sorry for me im really confused altered and need of help.so. i restart the drugs im.sorry :(

If i can cope whit symptons of my.whitdrawal can i.dont take any other drugs?im really scared of what the drugs.is.doing whit me 

I want to know beacause im ignorant if i.cold turkey what could it be the damage for the CNS?i explain better if i stop the meds slowly like you say i will not get damage to.my brain but if i.cold turkey i will get damage.to.my.brain?im obsessed

Im a little desperate i think if think i get.some damage.from cold turkey.meds but.i dont feel myself anymore

What cai i do now?how can i get 1 mg of prozac of parpxetine? I dont know maybe i will fight and resist whitout meds..

Im sorry that i hurt my life so much whit this meds and cold turkey.it.but.i lived in very bad family...

Thanks for the reply appreciate it from all :);)

15 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Please update your drug signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Please tell us all your current symptoms.

Ok.i will

My.symptons are.mood.swings agitation move around.the.house whit.the.thoughts that.go from one.things.to.another.and imagination 

Cant sleep the.night because.of not feeling tired and full of thoughts im destroying my life please.please help me !

• Moderator Emeritus

I suggest you read this topic:  are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

On 12/15/2018 at 9:20 PM, ChessieCat said:

I suggest you read this topic:  are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

Thank you i have a question for the diagnosis i have recieved if the psychiatry is a scam whit the.meds so are too their disgnosis?what i have to.do.now that i have.cold.turkey.so many drugs so many times?will all be finally.ok.for me.one day? Can you please link me a place for talk about psychiatry diagnosis here in the forum?

• Moderator Emeritus

We really don't pay a lot of attention to psychiatric diagnoses here on the forum.  They are so often inaccurate or change from one diagnosis to another.  We deal more with symptoms, tapering and dealing with withdrawal.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.