☼ Faithgrl: Bipolar II checking in...has anyone tried Prozac bridge or kambo

Faithgrl

Hi all - new to the forum and very grateful for the members who are walking the path to get off these SSRI.

I was always depressed as a child and was prescribed Lexapro in 2003.

2004: Prescribed Cipramil instead of Lexapro after going hypomanic for 6 months, and lamictal to stablise. Got diagnosed with bipolar II...

2014: Came off lamictal with no issues, stablised using a buttload of coconut oil to stablise and a paleo diet.

2004-Dec 2015 - 5mg Cipramil once a day. Noticed that Cipramil stopped working from mid 2015 and decided to stop (only lasted a week) with severe WD symptoms - dizziness, diarraha, flu like symptoms, anxiety, OCD thoughts etc....

20 Dec 2015 - 2.5mg Cipramil a day hoping to taper by 10% per period, depending on tolerance. Am feeling kinda ambitious and want to go down 10% once a week but will most likely fall on my face, :blink:  which is fine too.

Been doing really well this week - I can feel below my belly button and my sex drive is coming back! Went on a boat and did want to die (One of the side effects was painful sex and really crap at travelling on boats/cars/bus). But am feeling really tired alot and a little dizzy, nothing to write home about.

Need some help fro other more experience members with WD....

Q1: A friend of mine is trying to convince to try Kambo - anyone tried this? I am really skeptical and don't think I am up for it as am feeling abit fragile and in addition to being depressed I have fairly constant inflammation (eczema), never mind its like $140 per treatment (!!)

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/from-bedbound-to-fit-and-able-in-14-days-effects-of-the-amazonian-medicine-kambo-on-a-cfs-patient.22952/page-4

Q2: Also read about the prozac bridge which seems like alot less trouble, I am seeing my shrink in January should I ask for this to try? Since I have never even had prozac (I have only ever had SSRIs) so not sure?

Prescribed Lexapro in 2003 and switched to Cipramil (5-10mg per day) 2004 with Lamictal.

Stopped Lamictal cold turkey with no withdrawals in 2014 with support of a Paleo diet. 

2003-2015 Cipramil only: 5mg 21 Dec 15: 2.5mg 28 Dec 15: 2.25mg 4 Jan 16: 1.575mg 10 Jan 16: 1.1025 11 Jan 16: 0.7875 25 Jan 16: 0.9, 1 Feb: 0.8, 8 Feb 0.75, 15 Feb 0.5, 29 Feb 0.25, 21 March 0.17, 4 April: 0.10, 25 April 0.05, 8 May 2016 0.05, 15 May 2016 NIL 21 June 2016 0.1, 5 Sep 16: 0.2 7 Sep 16: 0.15 16 Sep 16: 0.075 3 Oct 16: 0.015 17 October: 0.015, 14 Nov 2016: Reinstate 0.005, 26 Dec 16 0.0045, 2 Jan 17 0.004, 20 Feb 17 0.003, 3 Apr 17 0.002, 22 May 17 NIL. 

Supplements/Lifestyle: Low oxalate diet. Christian music all the time! B12 drops, Broccoli sprouts, Integra Nutritionals Gemmune IB, Zinc drops, Tresos Natal, Spatone Healing rooms: https://www.facebook.com/FODaustralia/videos and http://sydneyheal.com/service/time-and-location/

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Faithgrl,

Welcome to SA.  There is plenty of very good information on this site.  Great you have done your signature.  However you didn't include going off Cipramil for 1 week with you reinstating on 20 December.  After having been off for 1 week it would be advisable to hold for at least 4 weeks and see how you are stabilising.  As for the 10% taper weekly that is too fast.  This site recommends a 10% taper on the previous dose with a 4-6 week holding period which gives the brain a chance to adapt.  See Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The bipolar diagnosis may have possibly come about from the effects of the medication.  Someone else should be able to offer more info on this.

"Am feeling kinda ambitious and want to go down 10% once a week but will most likely fall on my face, :blink:  which is fine too."  I don't think you will be fine with it once it happens.  There are many examples of members on this site who have tried to short-cut the process and found that it just doesn't work and it ends up taking longer.

To help you understand what is happening with your brain I suggest you read Brain Remodelling  and watch the video

Healing from Antidepressants: Patterns of Recovery

Not sure about bridging with Prozac.  I'll leave that for someone else to make suggestions.  As for the Kambo, sounds expensive for something that only might work and could well make you even worse.  We all wish for fast and/or miracle cures but I think time and patience, which are free, are more likely to work as per the information on this site.  There is no quick fix however much we would like that to be the case.  I think you could spend you money on much better things.

You can use this Topic to ask questions and keep a journal of your recovery progress.  The members here are very supportive and encouraging.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Faithgrl--  Welcome to the group. I'm so glad you found up.  It sounds like you dosing has been all over the place for the past year, which would explain why you're having problems.  These drugs are very powerful and very sneaky in the way they react.  When a person just stops taking them they can feel really great for a few months and then it really hits the fan.   Just because they seem to stop working doesn't mean that your body doesn't need them.

So where are you in your taper off of the Cipramil?  We need to know that to help come up with a stabilization/tapering plan.

This will help you understand the prozac bridge:

The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

As for the Kambo, stay away from it.  It is not a good idea to be introducing any more psychotropic drugs into your system, let alone one that is a true poison and is totally untested.  All the information available is from people trying to sell it, which is a huge red flag.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Faithgirl and welcome to s/a,

It is true that there is now a bit of a pattern of people being being (mis)diagnosed bipolar once their systems are destabilised by SSRIs.  In particular the withdrawal symptoms of depression and high/manic feelings seem to confuse doctors.  This is documented in the book Anatomy of an Epidemic.  So considering when you were given your bipolar label, it may in fact not be true. 

You might like to read some discussion about it in http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7503-bipolar-panic-attack-depression-mania-or-drug-effects/

I like your note about using coconut oil - I've been meaning to eat more of it, but keep forgetting. 

I see we are all encouraging you to go slower in your taper - that's cause we really want you to be okay.  You may also want to be looking at non-drug methods of managing your symptoms and/or pre-existing issues. 

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi brassmonkey - thanks for finding that thread for me on the prozac bridge. I tried searching it under "prozac bridge" and gave up....

Karen B and Chessie cat - Sorry I don't mean to make light of the symptoms I just have a gallows sense of humour about all this, and as a bipolar (which as you indicated is a big question now cause maybe it was just the lexapro) alot of my actions involves jumping in to see what happens......and as a personality trait patience is not a big thing for me.

Currently I feel fine, just a little dizzy and sleep is slightly disturbed. The depression has not returned which I am very grateful for (and surprised!). Even survived Christmas!

Prescribed Lexapro in 2003 and switched to Cipramil (5-10mg per day) 2004 with Lamictal.

Stopped Lamictal cold turkey with no withdrawals in 2014 with support of a Paleo diet. 

2003-2015 Cipramil only: 5mg 21 Dec 15: 2.5mg 28 Dec 15: 2.25mg 4 Jan 16: 1.575mg 10 Jan 16: 1.1025 11 Jan 16: 0.7875 25 Jan 16: 0.9, 1 Feb: 0.8, 8 Feb 0.75, 15 Feb 0.5, 29 Feb 0.25, 21 March 0.17, 4 April: 0.10, 25 April 0.05, 8 May 2016 0.05, 15 May 2016 NIL 21 June 2016 0.1, 5 Sep 16: 0.2 7 Sep 16: 0.15 16 Sep 16: 0.075 3 Oct 16: 0.015 17 October: 0.015, 14 Nov 2016: Reinstate 0.005, 26 Dec 16 0.0045, 2 Jan 17 0.004, 20 Feb 17 0.003, 3 Apr 17 0.002, 22 May 17 NIL. 

Supplements/Lifestyle: Low oxalate diet. Christian music all the time! B12 drops, Broccoli sprouts, Integra Nutritionals Gemmune IB, Zinc drops, Tresos Natal, Spatone Healing rooms: https://www.facebook.com/FODaustralia/videos and http://sydneyheal.com/service/time-and-location/

Sorry - and thanks for the guidance on the Kambo.....a friend of mine reckons that these things are the solution to all her problems and trying to push it onto me. I said I was coming off antidepressants and she said Kambo was GREAT for me.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr I also think it is a MASSIVE red flag that the only positive comments on Kambo is on their own (goddam) forums (staffed by hippies looking to trip...no offence!) so I was looking for people talking about it on anything other than a Kambo forum and I thought Phenix Helix's forum was pretty ok. 

My friend is trying Kambo in January for her adrenal fatigue, constant herpes outbreak and PTSD. So all I need to do is say no to her....! Wish me luck in NOT licking the back end of a  frog.

Welcome Faithgirl,

Hadnt heard of cipramil so did a google and what ya know its really just citalopram....

This is what the google link said:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/5197

"How does Cipramil work?

Cipramil is a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) and belongs to a group of medicines known as antidepressants. These medicines help to correct certain chemical imbalances in the brain that are causing the symptoms of your illness.

What is Cipramil used for?

Cipramil contains citalopram and is used for the treatment of depression and, when you feel better, to help prevent these symptoms recurring. Cipramil is also used for long-term treatment to prevent the occurrence of new episodes of depression if you have recurrent depression.

Cipramil is also beneficial in relieving symptoms if you tend to suffer from panic attacks."

I just cant understand how these people are getting away with false statements.... for the Irish drug regulator banned GSK from claiming paroxetine corrected  a chemical imbalance.

And this so called 'recurrent depression' is just withdrawal symptoms for the drug.

What a boon for pharma to say their drug relieves symptoms....and the drug addiction is simply maintained year after year.

I have no doubt that the erroneous labelling (bipolar) in 2004 was a result of adverse drug effects. Due to the CT (?) of lexapro  (which is a more potent from of cipramil) and  the rush to smother them with cipramil and lamictal.

Read the second quote box in this thread...

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

Its just so wrong to label a child with  'depression' and to drug with an ssri is actually unethical due to black box warnings which i believe have been in place since 2004....ok you were given it 2003 but informed consent should be ongoing not a once of then throw the key away thing ...so surely they should have taken some action way back in 2004 . The warnings were age extended in 2006.

I do hope that going forward you take the advice to taper at the 10% rate rec here.

What i believe you are calling depressive symptoms is actually withdrawal symptoms and they can be delayed and after 12 years use to drop by 50% is not a minor issue.

It maybe wise to consider a switch to the liquid and taper that.

imo slow tapering (we might be talking 5% per month not 50% per week) is by far the better way to to get off these drugs than attempting bridging. (You may not realize it but  prozac is an ssri...same church different pew).

"seems like alot less trouble" ...Well keep us posted on what you decide to do. And what the pdoc has to say on this situation.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi nz11- my pdoc and GP are USELESS. Both say that I should not expect too much withdrawals cause I am on a small dose of Cipramil (1/4 of a 20mg tablet). But the thing is that I am Asian, 5 foot and pretty sensitive to EVERYTHING does not appear to have been taken into account!

And to clarify to being depressed when I was a child - I remember wanting to kill myself from the age of 6 and having suicidal ideologies from 6 years old, until I was prescribed Lexapro at age 24 (or there abouts). Consequently I bought into the "chemical imbalance"  theory hook. line and sinker :unsure: cause the suicidal ideologies disppeared for the first time. I am starting to see why some people say that before the doc give anyone anti-depressants they should have be ordered to eat whole foods and exercise 30 mins a day, but at 24 years old (with an eating disorder to boot since 13 years old) I wasn't going to do it and like everyone else, just want a pill to fix me.

Fast forward to 37 years old now, Paleo/AIP for a year and a little more maturity, I am willing to do what it takes to come off (after all the Cipramil stopped working and my doc wants me on Pristiq! Crikey! Then there is the genital anesthesia .....which has completely crapped my sex life for 10 years and counting..) 

I guess for me, even if I was told of all the risks of taking them when I was 24 years old, I might just have ignored it and did it...just because of my personality. Although the shrink that prescribed it at the time seems SUPER relaxed about it and just made the whole thing sound like a supplement and didn't tell me ANYTHING about withdrawals and how long I take it for..... but this is exacebated by the fact that I have a group of friends who were all on a similar cocktail at the time (birds of a feather and all that) and didnt see anything wrong with taking an AD for LONG periods of time....

I know better now. But the funny thing is even though I know better I can't tell you if I will do something different at 24 years old.

I wonder if any of us would have done anything different?

These doctors are very predictable.

It comes as no surprise they would argue 5 or 2.5 mg is a low dose. They are misinformed to think this.

There are people here having extreme difficulty getting off 1mg.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Faithgirl,

50% was a big jump, so it's probably a good idea to hold at this dose for a few months before thinking of further reductions.  This is to give any w/d a chance to catch up with you - it doesn't always show up straight away. 

Don't worry too much about your doc wanting you on Pristiq, because you have the final say.  When you have your health in your own hands (and heart) you have a much better chance of success than if you keep handing control to someone else.  What are your long-term ideas for managing any depression that may arise?  It's helpful to really strengthen your ability to manage in that area.  I believe people are much stronger than doctors give credit for.  

Sounds like you've already started building some good stuff into your life - paleo etc.  That sort of care will really pay off.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

Karenb

Good point on long term stratwgy...the issue is my lack of willingness to implement it until the proverbial hits the fan. I see my shrink once a month to go through my issues, I go to a 12 step program (overeaters anonymous) regularly and been there for 12 years.....but as far as I am concern a large component of the depression is physical. So exercise is the only thing, or supplementing with Sam-e or 5htp?

A big missing thing is meditation to reduce histamine and anxiety but I really struggle with the willingness to do it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Faithgrl,

It seems us humans are quite good at putting stuff off till we're really in trouble ;).  S/a recommends gentle exercise because anything too active can ramp up your symptoms.  I like gentle yoga.  You seem to have a lot of good stuff in place already, what with counseling etc.  There are heaps of ideas in the Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms thread - it's probably my favourite thread on s/a.

I'd stay away from Sam-e as it can be too activating for people in w/d.  Many people have adverse reactions to it, and also have trouble stopping it later on.

5-htp is also to be avoided by people taking SSRIs, as it increases the SSRI activity. 

Have you tried guided meditations?  They can be easier than doing it on your own.  Lots of people here use them. 

8 month hold.

Hi all

Just want to update and reflect where I am at. Tapering seems to be going well and I feel fine...only some WD symptoms such as diarraha once every few days and irritability. Been reading up on the posts and understand that I am probably up for Windows and wave...which is fine too.

Been at home these week and a half with the boyfriend and every time he irritated me, I went to the movies, went out or go shopping. Soooooo I am now fully caught up.! Spectre, mocking jay etc....

Unfortunately the holidays are over and I go back to work full time tomorrow! Am feeling abit anxious about how WD will interact with work ...and thanks to another member of the forum I am signed up to a CBT course starting 4 Jan so that's something...I also signed up for yoga camp with adrien on YouTube for the next 30 days so that should help too. The boyfriend has also offered his support to do Pilates or yoga with me everyday (let's see how that goes, good intentions and all)

Good luck everyone and look after yourselves in returning to work.

• Moderator Emeritus

Faithgrl, that's really positive news.  So happy for you.  You've got some really good self-care going on there too.  Maybe you can get some work-survival things?  A bag of almonds to munch or a bottle of water with some magnesium dissolved in it - both good for calming down.  A mantra written in some secret place on your desk.

Hope it goes well...

Happy new year,

Karen

x

8 month hold.

Karen b: good point! Maybe I will take myself for a walk at lunchtime. I have stuff that calms me down at work too....

Hi all - just want to update that all is well.....I have some (minor) dizziness and diarrhea once every other day, and some anxiety and OCD thoughts at work, nothing I can't handle.

The s**t will most likely hit the fan next week when my (nice and protective boss) goes away for two weeks, leaving me alone with a bunch of abusive people around me. I have made it clear that if I feel abused I will walk out and consider returning when he gets back and in any case I can afford to take a break from work if I wanted to.

Working through the Mindspot program is a puzzle!

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great news Faithgirl.  You sound like a very strong person.

8 month hold.

Strong...and brittle! Lucky for me I have a supportive family and are willing to support me if I ever need time off work. Saying that, mum is Asian and I am unlikely to get away with being lazy for longer than a few months...!

Work was hard today. I am usually in a team of 3 people, but its only me this week - the boss is away until 26 Jan and the other member of team is not back till next week. I had three people wanting things from me today.

One wanted something done in 3-4 hours when it took 20 hours last year for the same job. I was about to tell him to do it himself if he thinks it can done done in 3-4 hours and if that includes the time to f**k himself. Realised a large part of my reaction is nueroemotions and wrote him an (adult sounding) email about what work is involved and how much we usually charged for it. 

Another wants something done by today and it was complicated and I got it done. Phew.

Another wants a bunch of stuff reviewed and a letter done and I managed to dump that onto another stuff. Phew.

And I fit all this in between two trips to the bathroom with diarrhea ....suppose its good cause I get paid to poop, amiright?

Really reminded of the posts by NZ11: throw away the gun and let the tiger come. Don't be afriad of the symptoms its no big deal.

Was a little dizzy today but hey maybe I just shouldn't move suddenly right?

• Moderator Emeritus

Well done Faithgrl!  Now you can use this to remind yourself when things get tough that it's happened before BUT you got through it!  CC

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks cat! And now that I am done with Monday, Tuesday should be fine too!

Am slightly concerned as didn't sleep well last night. Either it's too hot to sleep or my tapering schedule is a little aggressive. Will see how I go tonight and see if I need to reinstate by a little....

• Moderator Emeritus

Pleased to hear the positivity.  Your sleep may have been messed up a bit after the day you had.

Just wondering if the dates in your sig are correct.  10 Jan 1.1025 then 11 Jan 0.7875?  Maybe you need to slow up a bit and have a nice long hold for at least 1 month if not 2?  Just a thought.  Would welcome others' opinions.

CC

Cat: those dates are right, I am just abit aggressive and have always been. I reduced, didn't have any symptoms and thought (ha!) let's push this as hard as we can. With this personality you'd wonder why I don't jump off a cliff just to see what happens...!

And now I have symptoms. And need to reinstate. Oh well I only learn by experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Faithgrl,

I suggest you read Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable.  There are no quick fixes in this tapering "game".  There are many members on this site that can attest to that.  You are not doing yourself any favours by trying to go too quickly.  The symptoms you are getting now are possibly due to an accumulation of fast drops with little time in between to allow your brain to adapt to receiving less of the drug.  Especially since you did a 50% drop on 21 December 2015.  My suggestion would be that once you are stable hold for at least 2 months or maybe even longer to let your brain catch up.  Members who are down to low doses are saying it is very hard once you get near the end.  Did you read the Brain Remodelling and watch the video?

You are going to need to develop patience in order to do this the best way.  Maybe because you are seeing the finish line you are trying to sprint home.  CC

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Cat for your advice. Unfortunately one of my fav things to do (just generally) is sprint then run into a wall. Which happened and its fine. Have had quite abit of dizziness and anxiety in the last two weeks and wasn't going to re-instate and tough it out. But end up doing it inadvertently anyway this week when I mixed up the Cipramil with water on a 1:1 ratio and forgot to adjust the dose. In any case I feel better and less anxious and actually happy which is AMAZING.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and support. I survived work this month with a team of 4 being reduced to effectively a team of one (just by myself!) and didn't have a nervous breakdown. NZ11 and other posts were instrumental to affirm that symptoms are only temporary and nothing to freak out about, including dizziness, irritability etc..and all I can do is one thing at a time and look at the bigger picture. I must admit the anxiety is pretty high and I feel like I am constantly buzzing (until I get home from work anyway) and that can't be doing anything good but I am managing that through mindspot, meditation, pilates, yoga and squash.

Am feeling abit discourage about my weight at the moment. When I went on anti-depressants I dropped a dress size (12 down to 10, just because I didn't want to eat as much) and now that I am tapering I seem to be pretty much gaining that weight back automatically. These few days I am noticing and purposely eating less but I am really worried that biologically I am suppose to be a (tubby!) size 12 and only with anti-depressants will I be a slim size 10. Being 5 foot, Asian and 64+kg is HARD and the tighter clothes in my wardrobe doesn't fit! In the sprit of acceptance, I went shopping on the weekend for stuff that fitted and it was nice but I am still really worried....even though OA teaches nothing but acceptance and asking God for his guidance. God change is so hard!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Faithgirl,

I was reading your last post and have to say I relate to your weight gain struggles. Antidepressants, being on them and getting off them can really mess up our attempts to maintain a desirable weight. I remember when I first started on them, I found it easy to lose the few extra kilos I was carrying, but then something happened and I started gaining weight and couldn't lose it no matter what.

I tapered too fast and went into protracted withdrawal and started losing weight very fast, I got scared I was going to disappear, but now I have the opposite problem again, its all back on and I'm unable to exercise properly, so can't do much about it.

In your case, I think the important thing is to taper slowly and carefully and keep your nervous system stable, even if you do put on a little weight. When you are finished with your taper and feeling recovered, you will be able to adjust your diet and exercise and regain control again. Don't do what I did, and end up sick for years.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Petunia

Thanks for the advice ....here is the thing right, if you could do it all over again would you have done anything different? For me I might not have...without the experience of smacking myself into a wall I don't know if I would be WILLING to do something different.

Anyway as an update - I DID manage to take on some of the advice (lol) and am tapering at 0.1-0.2 per week, depending on whether I feel ready to cut down. After being on the same dose for 2 weeks I feel pretty good and feel ready to cut down so Monday is it!

Weight/food wise I am happy to report that my appetite has stablised and I am feeling less hungry, and have dropped enough weight/bloat in the last 2 weeks for my clothes to fit better again. In fact the appetite has disappear (I feel abit nauseated to be honest) and the only reason I eat is because I do feel REALLY tired, and its mealtime (and if I don't eat I know I will binge later which will activate the eating disorder blah blah blah).

Work is getting better too - everyone is back from holidays and I figured out that one of the members of the team likes TALKING (bleh) so he is dealing with all the bosses that likes to talk which is ***** AWESOME (cause I hate those). A new person is starting on 6 March so extra help is coming also.

I got REALLY low last week and the therapist asked me if I am doing to do anything stupid. I said the only thing stupid I'm going to do is to go for a 10km bushwalk in 30 degree C heat....if I want to do self-harm there is always exercise to exorcise my demons....

So I am either in a window or things are getting better. Either way I am having a good day today and that's enough, tomorrow is another day?

So this week has been a "waves" week.

My body is sore, my joints are crunchy and I keep getting mild headaches...and am unreasonably tired (or more tired). Today, being a weekend, managed to have three (!!) naps. Saying that I enjoyed them and they didn't take away from anything else I want to do so its fine. Work is fine otherwise and its been pretty good - not flat out and I even had the capacity to go out with work people on Friday night which has never happened. 

Giving all these (in my opinion rather mild) symptoms (rather than not having any symptoms at all) and my period being in a couple days time (that never helps) I think I might stay on the 0.5 for another week before going down again on the taper. I hope you all are going well in your taper and we are all in this together...

• Moderator Emeritus

Nice decision to hold a bit longer.  Make it work for you...

Karen

8 month hold.

• 2 months later...

All - I am finally feeling better! Am now tapering down to 0.05 and the joint pains are almost gone. And a bonus - some of the weight is coming off, all by itself. I just don't feel as hungry and I eat according to my appetite. Haven't really weigh myself (as its part of my recovery in OA not to obsess over this stuff) but clothes are fitting better and I look less bloated. Things do feel alot more RAW - physically, emotionally and spritually. I am already sensitive/allergic to a bunch of food - gluten etc...and I am even more sensitive now. Probiotics are helping alot with that. Emotionally my Mum stuff is coming up (after I thought I dealt with it YEARS ago) and I am processing it in my own time (mothers day coming up is not helping!). There are days when everything hurts and there are days (like today) where I notice autumn colors and am grateful.

Have also started a new job this Monday and that's helping. Everyone seems nice and after the last (rather traumatic) job I feel a soldier returning from war and wondering why not everyone has their guns drawn. Or I walked into an episode Pleasantville, or Stepford Wives. Haven't figured it out yet but I am sure it will sort itself out.

The drop from 0.1 to 0.05 was the first time I didn't experience any symptom which is hopeful. I am  starting to see that I can step off, sometime in the future.Thanks for all the advice on this journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

What an update!  Faithgrl I'm so happy for you.  Have you read the 'when to drop off to zero' thread?  And remember, there's no rush.  Doing it well is the aim.  Hope you pop back in every now and then to update us. 

Hugs,

Karen

8 month hold.

• 1 month later...

Hey all

Well, this is f**ked. I drooped of to zero about a month ago and ALL my crap came up. Just as an FYI, it would appear that I have a bit of childhood trauma that the anti-depressants was keeping out of sight and now that I am off them completely, I can't stop reliving my childhood trauma. 

Case in point: The new job is challenging and stretches me technically (its a bigger firm and they do things abit more precisely), and emotionally (again a bigger firm and there is an emphasis on being "collegiate" to form relationships with other people within the firm). I feel like I am reliving my immigration experience to Australia where I didn't know s**t and I have no friends. 

A boss had a go at my work and said I was "missing the point" and seem exasperated. I felt like I was in front of my raging mother and I was 9 years old and powerless. 

I haven't stopped crying every weekend (cause everyone knows you don't cry at work) and my head is filled with anxiety and voices about how "I SHOULD WALK OUT RIGHT NOW" and quit because IT ALL HURTS TOO MUCH and I CAN'T DO THIS WITHOUT MEDICATION. 

What isn't helping either is that I am on really good terms with my old boss and he is pretty keen to have me back if it doesn't work out. 

Its been 8 weeks at this job and every day I am in pain and praying for a miracle cause I don't see a way out of this. 

If I quit now, I have to give a week's notice and I don't see how I can survive the week. It would also most likely meant that I go back to my old job which has its own share of crap. 

I also work in a VERY small industry and if I quit and walk out, everyone would hear about it which may be an issue in my future job prospects. 

Anyone has ideas? I checked out the jobs thread and it appears that most people stick it out and take sick leave from their jobs, incurring the wrath of various co-workers who just calls them a whinger. Given that this is a new one, I don't see how its possible. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Faithgrl ,    Looking back over the past few months I see you were doing weekly drops (albeit tiny ones).

"Anyway as an update - I DID manage to take on some of the advice (lol) and am tapering at 0.1-0.2 per week, depending on whether I feel ready to cut down. After being on the same dose for 2 weeks I feel pretty good and feel ready to cut down so Monday is it!"

Have you considered reinstating (again) and getting to zero using the recommended method?

bw ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Fresh - Huh? I am confused. Reinstating feels like taking a step back. But I haven't stopped crying this weekend so maybe its an indication that I should. 

I am not feeling very sane at the moment...

Better dig the anti-depressants out of the bin. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes , it kind of is a step backwards , but it may save you many months of increasing distress.  

You jumped from such a tiny dose , and if that dose gives you symptom relief so that you halt the withdrawal and save your job (and sanity) , then it's a positive  move.

We see people time and again who taper quickly saying they feel fine at the time , but get hit with symptoms a month later , just like you have.  Reinstating a small dose and allowing your system to stabilize for a good couple of months , gives you chance to re-do the last leg of your taper.

Looking at your post from May3 , maybe 0.05 would be enough.  See the thread on Reinstating to Halt Withdrawal Symptoms

here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

btw , I found a place in the city that does grass-fed beef burgers , in World Square  ;)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Faith - I think Fresh has the right idea.  Just picture it like an S bend in the road - it feels like you might be going in the wrong direction, but in actual fact you are still heading down the right path and will eventually come out by the sea (or lake, or mall, or wherever you were wanting to get to...)

Karen

x

8 month hold.