☼ cakesgimmecakes: Couple Qs for you warriors out there

cakesgimmecakes

Cakes, on the potassium/salt topic, I've been finding recently that I can't eat much salt, like my body's rejecting it,which is quite weird for me coz I usually eat a lot of salt.

About 20 years on SSRIs and SNRIs since 1995. Was diagnosed with 'Post Natal Depression' after suffering from extreme fatigue. I was not depressed or anxious.

Tried about 5 times to stop due to intolerable side effects (uncontrollable rage, impulsivity, detached emotions, memory loss, slow reactions and lowered intellectual ability) but unable to due to extreme withdrawal symptoms. 

Had ECT therapy in 2009 after reinstating of Effexor and many other ADs failed.

ECT great success but Pdoc prescribed Effexor again to prevent relapse.

Effexor for two years after having ECT therapy. 

Tried to withdraw form Effexor again 2010 but aborted due to the death of my father  and withdrawal symptoms unbearable with grief.

Recently on Pristiq 100 for 5 years.
Jan 2017 Have been tapering over ONE YEAR from Pristiq and have now completely stopped for 7 weeks. Experiencing severe waves of melancholia and anxiety.

Would like more ECT. Feel that my body is over sensitive to SSRI and SNRI meds.

Toots -  you can, yes, eat bananas and avocados or salt them with something called NuSalt. Avoid salt for a bit. Your symptoms will ease up. Also, a question: what was your benzo dose, how long did you take them, and what are your withdrawal symptoms from them?

Oh man that night was horrendous.  I had a pounding chest and headache into the wee hours of the night.  Thankfully I stuffed a banana into my mouth but I suppose it wasn't enough.  I may have needed 5 bananas.  I think gatorade would have helped too.  So I looked up quick ways to lower blood pressure and they said to soak feet in hot water.  Well half an hour after soaking and doing relaxation breathing I was able to sleep.  The soak turned my feet beet red and helped my blood rush from my heart to my feet.  I don't know how I would have survived if I didn't bring it back down.  Never testing new solutions before bed ever again!

Also to your other question, I only took benzos for 2-3 months at anywhere between 0.5 to 2mg but usually stuck around 0.5mg.  Withdrawal from them was pure torture.  I thought SSRI withdrawal was bad but that was even worse.  It made my body and mind fall apart in a way that was unimaginable.  I became so sick(in a span of 2 years after last pill) that doctors thought I had aids or cancer.  I was close to having a cancer scare but that cleared up with a procedure.  Its a condition that most women experience in their 40-50's and I'm only 33 and never had children.  My doc's never seen anyone in their 30s have it except me and another woman.  That's extremely rare.  You can imagine if it did that to my body then how bad was the brain organ affected??  I never experienced anything like it during my SSRI taper so it is in a league of its own.  Tests done at my doc showed I have three areas of my brain that aren't receiving signals very well.  It explains why I feel like I have dementia and cognitive issues.  March coming up will be 3 years off it.  I've improved alot but not enough to have me out in the world.  I still have issues with paying attention to conversations and memory.  I hope you are not thinking of a benzo route :wacko:

PS. To give you an idea of how bad it was..if you have ever seen the movie Twilight where Bella dies after giving birth.  She died sickly,skinny and frail but she transforms into a beautiful vampire after death.  That was me.  Just pasty and deathly and now at almost 3 years off my outer shell looks better than ever.  Just the insides need to catch up.  So healing is miraculous and does happen.

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

I just realized that me eating too full gives me the same effects as that salt mishap. Heart palpitations galore. Have you experienced this symptom before?

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

Pink - I'm so sorry you're ignored at the doctor. In this forum, you're not alone! Seems your father was terrific.

Toots - my palps started a year ago, after another thyroid meds attemp. I'm sure it's adrenal/stress related, and they get better but then return when im struggling with sleep or very stressed (well, insomnia feeds stress). As for benzodiazepines, were you taking them daily for that 2-3 months?

September 2001 - 10 mg Sarafem (fluoxetine) for mild case of PMS that could have been helped by exercise and diet modification! I was NOT depressed prior to taking this drug. July 2002 - CT, no issues except stomach distention (honestly, I think daily running helped, but I didn't know a thing about WD or that it even existed)

August 2003 - reinstated to resolve severe stomach bloating (a WD symptom from year before; didn't realize it was a WD symptom)

2003-2009 - on and off 10-20 mg, CT at several points with no issues! Literally no issues except stomach distention.

March 2009 - CT, no issues except estrogen/progesterone imbalances and stomach distention 

March 2010 - reinstated 10 mg for one month, CT, no issues except estrogen/progesterone imbalances and stomach distention 

November 2010 - reinstated 10 mg for one month, CT, insomnia began one month later.

January 2011-January 2015 - went on 10 mg fluoxetine every six months for one month, always CTing.

March 2015-November 2015 - Finally learned to taper! 

September 2019 - fully recovered from WD; gut issues remain

"The only way out is through." 

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi there,

The staff at SA are wondering how you are.  We'd love to hear how you are doing now.   Would you mind dropping by and giving an update?

Thanks.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

cakesgimmecakes' has written a success story:  prozac-wd-update-3-years-out-cakesgimmecakes

Added by Altostrata:

Now, as is our tradition, I will close this topic. Please congratulate cakes in the Success Stories forum.

Edited by Altostrata
added admin note

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• ChessieCat locked this topic