SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Rose9975: Irish person wishing to taper off 20mg Lexapro

Rose9975

Hi Patricica, I'm unable to come off the Lexapro as I suffer from moderate to severe depression.I am not going to get pregnant being on antidepressant medication therefore what is the alternative? ?

I've started taking antidepressants in 2001. I took Cipramil for 3 years. Elflexor for 1 year. Lexapro 10mg - 20mg since 1992 approximately.

STARTING DOSE 20mg Lexapro 2016

19mg Lexapro (3rd January 2016)-Taper 5%

18mg Lexapro (8th February 2O16)-Taper 5%

17mg Lexapro (? March 2016) - Taper 5% -

16mg (16th May 2016) Taper 5 %

17mg (21st August 2016) + 5%

16mg (3rd January 2017) - 5%

15mg (4th February 2017) -5

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rose9975

• bubble

• KarenB

• Fresh

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry that you are unable to come off the Lexapro completely. That's so terribly disheartening.

I don't blame you for not wanting to risk pregnancy while on the meds. It must have been such a heartbreaking decision for you to make, but a very strong one too.

I wish I had better words of encouragement for you right now, but nothing seems good enough. Just know you are in my thoughts, dear Rose.

PatriciaVP@AbleWriterSays My Intro

Zoloft 150-200 mg- on and off between 1998 and 2004.

Lexapro 40 mg - 2004-2013 30 mg 2013 - August 2015 20 mg August 2015- September 2015 15 mg September 2015 - October 2015 10 mg October 2015 -Nov. 1 2015. Nov. 2015 increased dose to 12.5 mg to stabilize. Dec. 28 2015 11.25 mg March 29, 2016 10 mg. August 1, 2016 9 mg. October 23, 2016 8.1 mg. Nov. 29, 2016 7.5 mg. Feb. 25, 2017 7 mg. April 9, 2017 6.5 mg. June 2017 6 mg. Aug. 2018 5.75 mg March 2019 5.5 mg Apr. 2019 5.25 mg. June 2019 5 mg Sept. 2019 4.75 mg Nov. 2019 4.5 mg Dec. 2019  4.25 April 7 2020 4mg 

Depakote 1000 mg 2008-2013  750 2013-Dec 2015 500 mg Dec 2015 to Feb 2, 2016. Sopped completely Feb 2 2016.

Adderall 40mg 2004-Feb 29, 2016. Feb 29,2016 - reduced Adderall to 20 mg based on pdoc's recommendations. March 29, 2016 - Reduced Adderall to 15 mg. April 30 reduced Adderall to 10 mgs. May 28, 2016 reduced Adderall to 5 mgs.June 8, 2016 stopped taking Adderall due to extreme agitation.

Amphetamine 20mg 2008 - 1/16. 1/16 - Stopped Amphetamine completely because pdoc did not renew script.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

• Moderator Emeritus

Rose

Would you update your signature to show the dates and doses of your last dose reductions?  Thanks.

If you haven't already cut back searching for information about Lexapro, SSRIs, and fetal health, you might want to stop.  You're between the rock and the hard place and feeling discouraged and frustrated. I'm sorry it's so difficult.

Just a reminder about word choice -- we ask that members refrain from using vulgarity. I've edited your post. I have a number of Irish friends and am familiar with conversations that frequently contain certain words and get no reaction. Unfortunately that casual use isn't universal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Vulgarity! I'm confused. What are you referring to???? I'm talking about MY Process MY pain MY feelings. My tapering process is in my signature.

I've started taking antidepressants in 2001. I took Cipramil for 3 years. Elflexor for 1 year. Lexapro 10mg - 20mg since 1992 approximately.

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

16mg Lexapro: 23:21p.m pain in my head a lot of nerve activity ...feeling emotional....Tomorrow maybe I need to go up to 16.5mg .....so confused. ...

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes Rose, this is your process, your heath, your life.  We ask that you comply with community standards to express what's going on.

At the bottom of every page is a link, "Site Guidelines" one of which states:

You agree that you will not post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law, on this site.

I have little hesitation in using vulgar, obscene, and/or profane language in more than a few situations in my life. However, I refrain from it when posting on this forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

21st August 17mg Lexapro I decided to go back up by 5% this a.m just feel the depression getting consuming and overwhelming and I have to hold down a job and engage with the world.

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Rose - 

While I appreciate that you are looking for toolkit to help with your depression, I would discourage you from doing too much, as well.

The best healer is time, and the smallest things can 'bounce' your system in withdrawal and make it more difficult.

For example, Theta healing - while I know very little about it, I do work with Theta states, and is it a trance state which enables you neurogenesis and great learning activities.  Neurogenesis is not your friend right now, you want your neurons to heal gently and normally.  It takes time to regrow neurons, and many of the symptoms of withdrawal are from those "baby neurons" learning their function in your already established system.

Additionally, neurofeedback can be another "bounce" to the system.  While I would highly recommend both of these techniques to someone who was struggling with depression - I would not introduce them to someone who had a history with the drugs, and changes to the drugs.  You did 2 sessions in early August, and the effects of that could have contributed to this wave.

Recovery occurs in Waves and Windows - and to accept that, the next time a wave hits - you don't need to catastrophise.  In a wave, it seems like it will last forever, but it doesn't.  It will get better, but you have to wait long enough for that to happen.

There are extremely rare cases of "melancholy" or "endogenous depression" - these are old terms for someone who will be depressed no matter what.  I thought I was one of these.  I finally decided that if I was depressed on the drugs, I could be unhappy and depressed off of them.  What happened instead, when I got down to about 1/2 my drugs, was I started to be interested in life, and things, and the depression - my natural thinking and rumination is still there - was no longer the important thing.  Other things were more important.

You asked about depression stopping rumination, that is not the case.  Rumination creates depression.  I encourage a book called "The Mindful Way Through Depression" by J. Mark Williams.

What is difficult to see, is that every time you 'bounce' the brain, you get a delayed response:

Delayed Onset of Withdrawal Symptoms

So when you say you dropped a dose on May 16 (bounce), and then did 2 Theta sessions on May 2 and May 18 (bounce-bounce) - then one month later, June 16-18 you drop into a deep wave.  Then, you felt compelled to updose 2 weeks after the neurofeedback sessions - when it may have just been a wave from that 'bounce.'

This may also correspond with your monthly cycles:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8142-pms-and-menstrual-cycle-issues-during-withdrawal/

To updose every time you have a symptom is another 'bounce' and will set you up for more delayed responses later.  To smooth those later responses out, you need to stay still now.  If you keep throwing pebbles in the pond, it will never grow still.

Learn your delayed responses, track them on your calendar, log book or on paper - when did you make the drop?  How long before the symptoms of the drop started?  When did they start to improve.

If you are not waiting for the "start to improve" part, then you are not holding long enough.

I feel your pressure on the fertility clock.  And yes, all of these drugs affect the motility and quality of sperm - is your partner on them too?  

There have been many healthy babies born on lexapro.  Yes, the incidences of problems are increased - but they are with nearly all of these drugs (whether recognised by medicine or not), in varying degrees and ways.  Obviously, it's better to be not on the drugs while pregnant or breastfeeding.

It is criminal that doctors do not mention this to women (and men) of childbearing age, and put them onto drugs that they will have difficulty getting off of.  That dirty little secret is buried, as you say, in the fine print.  

But I do not think you have "endogenous depression," I think you are suffering Neuro-emotion - we all went through this explosion of feeling.  Also health anxiety is one way neuro-emotion can manifest, too.

Can you just think, "later" - see where you are in a year's time, and think about pregnancy then?  Not even think about it for a year?  By then, you might be on such a tiny dose that it is far less likely to cause the defects and side effects that a full dose could inflict. (and then, perhaps, if your partner is on them, he will have had time to decrease his dose, too.)

But you need to go easy on yourself.  It looks to me like you have a crash about a month after a taper - or, the Theta healing was more disruptive than helpful - or, your monthly cycles are also messing with your taper.  I was a monster with PMS, and would actually get violent with my partner if I felt I wasn't "being heard."  I learned not to make any major decisions during PMS.

Be patient and kind and gentle with yourself.  Your brain is repairing, with new structures in your brain as you taper off the drug.

Imagine your brain and nervous system is this wild baby animal:

pygmy-possum_zpskryl6vcs.jpg

How can you criticise such a creature?  How can you put a demand on it to grow up now, to be ready now, to be able to breed now, to be anything other than - 

cuddled, cared for, gently interacted with (yes, they can bite!), until it is more mature, more stable. 

this is a physical thing.  While you have emotional issues, too - and I encourage you to explore those - the physicality of withdrawal cannot be denied.  Sometimes all you can do is wait.

I encourage you to hold for 3 months at 17 mg, before trying the next taper.  It may not be that your tapers are too big, so much as you are pushing them, regardless of how you feel and not giving the baby animal time to grow up before you stress it again.

Are you feeling better after the updose?

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Jan, thank you so much for your message. I really needed it. My brain is like mush so sorry if my syntax does not make sense. My boyfriend is not on antidepressants he is not pushed if we have children or not he has MS other then tiredness is not symtomatic. The week I went to the Psychologist (LENS) I was feeling really good and then after a session it really knocked me off my horse thank you so much for reading my posts I had a negative reaction to it. She told me it would assist me with my tapering process.Whar are your views on Acupuncture please? Additionally I have had my period last week and have felt low, wanting to be myself and avoid sensory stimulation like people talking, noise etc.I went up by 1mg so maybe I should have only gone up by .5mg what do you think? My head is pounding now ????????. I felt much better have taken the increase butnl now I have a violent headache I never get these until tapering process. Do you think Jan I should drop by .5mg tomorrow?? Thanks for you insights it's nice that someone cares xx

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rose,

I'm not able to answer your question on your dose but wanted to give you the link to Acupuncture.

From alto's Post #8:  Make absolutely sure your acupuncturist understands you want calming treatments, not stimulating treatments. Some may make the same mistake doctors do, thinking your "depression" needs some kind of stimulation.

And her Post #16:  Don't let the practitioner do anything that stimulates your nervous system.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Rose - Chessie said it before I could.

As long as you are not put on any detoxification programs, herbal combinations, or stimulating acupuncture, it is well tolerated by many here - Alto uses it, as do I.

I can't really tell you what it does, (I get "diagnoses" like "Liverwind" or "gall bladder decisions" or "pericardium - protect the king") but I do know that it's an important piece in my healing.

I hope you find a practitioner you like.

My criterion for an acupuncturist is I like them to talk to me.  I don't want a mysterious acupuncturist who just does stuff - I want her to tell me why, and listen, Even if what I get is "gall bladder decisions" - that is more communicative than many practitioners, and I"m learning to feel that condition in my neck and calves before I go to her.   I also like a soothing, comforting manner - some are commanding and imperious, which isn't always conducive to healing - and especially not in a place of pain or suffering.

My brother in law swears by neurofeedback, says it has changed his life and his brain, and the clinic he goes to in Melbourne apparently has connections with Norman Doidge (who wrote, "You can change your brain").  But for someone in withdrawal, I think it's too intense.

Steady as she goes, be patient with yourself.  It does get better!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 4 weeks later...

17mg Lexapro: Feeling much more stabilised.Reconnected with my family.I tend to hide when I am depressed close myself off from people.It is safer.It's what I'm comfortable with.I am glad I decided to increase as I need to live life.I will hold for three months before I drop by 2.5mg this time.It's the only way I can do it. I don't feel as 'anxious' which is good but usual 'flatness', 'negative thinking' which I have always have. At least it is 3mg less of this drug in my system.

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

Goals:I am still learning about self. Self acceptance/self compassion. The need to connect with people going through similar struggles with stuckness and depression.The need for fun/creativity outlet outside of my job.

Grateful for: Healthy family, boyfriend,job, this website, coffee, kind strangers I attract on my journey. ALL Is WELL IN MY WORLD xx

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

Rose. I'm so glad you're feeling better.  This is a process and " baby steps"  are the way to go. Most of us have done the " hiding " at various stages and understand. It is a journey and one you are still learning as indeed we all are. Gratitude is something that I have become acutely aware of throughout this "experience " and in looking for the positive in all this , it's something that I may not have found as early on in this life, if I had not had to go through this.

I'm glad " all is well in your world". I hope it continues. You have to do this in your own time. 

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 2 weeks later...

17mg Lexapro: I went for acupuncture on Friday. Saturday & part of Sunday has been a struggle. I felt my nervous system calm down during the session but straight after it I was very tired.I had a glass of red wine that evening and it was like I was after drinking 4 or 5 glasses. I feel like a support which I have used for anxiety has now been taken away since tapering . Additionally, during the week I had a huge emotional reactions to two incidents where women were 'abrupt''rigid'and 'blunt' still processing these. It's exhausting think I may need to return to therapy as I stopped before the summer for a break.

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

• 1 month later...

Hi Keeping Hopeful,

WELCOME ❤

Congratulations on getting a new job despite your struggles & the very best of luck tomorrow. Do you mind telling me what area is it in? I hear how hard & determined you are to get through this time.You sound like a very tenacious person. Anger can be a very intense emotion.You must be very grateful to have a mother who can confide in about your medication & w/d symptoms. My heart goes out hearing so many people in pain from w/d of medications that were prescribed initially to make individuals feel better.

Hi Rose9975:

Just saw that you were (are) tapering Lexapro.

I am too.

Wondered how you are doing? Hope well :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• 1 month later...

Hi All Happy New Year.Decided to drop again by - 5% & plan on holding for 3months Symptoms today & yesterday include:Nausea, 7/10 pain in my head pain back of right eyes), tiredness

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I would wecome some support & feedback I am struggling this weekend obsessive thought's, pain in right hemisphere of brain, behind right eye, feeling anxious & antisocial, angry feeling towards individuals.Fiancee losing patience with me. He took me hill walking but I'm obsessively thinking about work.I am crying crying & crying....please tell.me what is happening. ...

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

P.S. I cannot increase my dose up as I have changed my Lexapro pill to 15mg so please do not suggest this.

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

Hi Rose

Sorry you are feeling a recurrence of symptoms.In your post 11 Jan you mentioned you were getting similar symptoms and that was after tapering on 3 Jan 8 days before.

Did these symptoms settle eventually? It would seem that your last taper was 4 Feb ie 8 days ago so could it be this is a pattern in symptoms?

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

• Moderator Emeritus

Flowers is probably right on the button.  It does look like you might have a pattern of struggling at day 8-9-10.  It will no doubt ease again soon.  It's also possible that hill-walking ramped up your symptoms, as exercise can do. 

Last month you mentioned planning a 3-month hold.  Perhaps it is time for one?  Give yourself a break and a chance to stabilise further. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 3 weeks later...

Real tiredness this week and pain in my head for the second week. I took today off work. I find this hard to do. I have no children.How do people taper with children work etc I don't know. I am oversleeping this week but waking up feeling as tired. I plan on holding this drop for 3 months and then check in again with my head to see how it is doing.

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

Just hit by a massive wave of neuroemotions anger rage impatience then sadness self pity tears and more tears.

Pain in my head I have taken headache medication maybe I shouldn't but I wanted relief. ..I need to back to work tomorrow to listen to angry hurt people not a good combination when I am struggling to stay present grounded and not emotive myself...reading again the power of Now ...w

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

• Moderator Emeritus

Having your focus on the present moment sounds like a good strategy for dealing with symptoms and neuro-emotions.  Keep holding on.

scallywag's Introduction

I just am recording my emotions. Pain iny head is persistent this week.I am not an individual to get headaches plus overwhelming tiredness at night time. Maybe it's a way of the brain shutting down to repair it's self.

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

☠Pain in the back of my eyes particularly back of right eye ...nausea feeling ..craving sugar....pain in my head....neuroemotional release this a.m crying self pity deep sobbing. ...this time will pass ....thinking is hard..making choices is hard. .time has stopped. ..planning is difficult when I am in survival mode.. tiredness, FATIGUE❌..I am going to keep going ...snail pace ...picked up my prescription 15mg Lexapro €34.08 in Boots Ireland...This time will pass...these feelings will pass. .I need to observe them . It is o.k to feel overwhelmed by them.I feel them...leave them pass through me like river flowing down a stream. .I feel better leaving the feelings out..love & light xxx

↪Can ask are there any threads on being pregnant on Lexapro please?

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

Went hill walking today found it challenging but the intensive cardiovascular exercise seems to make me feel better????. I went for a drink & some food so turned the day around. I'm now doing some reports for work next week I find helps ....when my mind is focused...it stops me over thinking strange....maybe that''s why I get more low at the weekends.... my mind is so busy with my job from Monday to Friday. Does anyone else experience the same thing?or do I have workaholic tendacies @#/$!&

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

Window today thank God I am very grateful.I woke up at 6a.m.... climbed a mountain .....I have put on weight eating a lot of sugar....please God it will be a good week

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

Hi Rose,

I am glad that you have found yourself in a "window". I hope that it lasts for you.

I actually get major cravings for sugar myself by the way. Also, I feel fatigued a lot of the time.

I don't necessarily have headaches but there is pressure in my head a lot of the time. I do manage to get to sleep and don't wake during the night generally. 

Personally, I'm not doing remarkably well myself at the moment. Anxiety would be the main symptom. All work related. I am taking some time off soon though which I am looking forward to.

I am in Ireland too by the way.

All the best,

Blazes.

Previously - zopiclone, risperidone, lyrica (pregabalin), ativan (lorezapam)
01/Aug/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
12/Aug/2016 -  75mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
03/Oct/2016 -  70mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
29/Oct/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Nov/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Dec/2016 -  60mg effexor, 3.6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jan/2017 -  60mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
27/Mar/2017 -  54mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
23/Apr/2017 -  54mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
09/May/2017 -  75mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
08/Jun/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6.75mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jul/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
Sometimes valium. Not daily. Supplements - Sterols and Stanols.
Note : I would really hope that nobody uses my tapering history as a guideline. It might not work well for somebody else tapering similar medications.

Wave today ...pain in the back of my eye's particularly right eye....has anyone come off Lexapro on this site? Is it possible? Felt depressed prior ....pain in my head what is happening in my brain.

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

• Moderator Emeritus

Lots of people on the site are tapering off Lexapro. If you use the full desktop version of the site, you'll see a "Lexapro" tag below the title of your topic as well as a list of other topics with the Lexapro tag at the bottom of the page.

To switch to the "full" or desktop version of the site follow the instructions in this post with mobile screen captures.

scallywag's Introduction

Hi Rose:

Nice to speak to you on your thread!

You will be fine, just slowly taper it off, I am tapering now too. It is hard, but we still can make it!

If you are still struggling, you are welcome to PM me. 

Regards 

Rain

2006 October Zoloft 50mg for anxiety.

2013 March Lexapro 10mg for 18 months to 2015 September.

2015 September increased to 20mg for 7 weeks but getting worse. 3rd November dropped back to 10mg

2016 11th November taper to 9mg

2017 3rd March Taper to 8.8mg, then Fast taper start: 10th-8.6mg, 12th-8.2mg, 17th-8.0mg, 22rd-7.7mg, 27th-7.4mg.

April 2nd- 6.9mg (WD start), 19th-6.5mg. Failed one day Cymbalta trial, took back Lexapro, much worse Akathisia torture. Keep holding. 

May 22nd- 6.3mg, June 10th- 5.7mg, Nov- 4.4mg, Dec- 4.3mg,

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

Thanks every one I do read and appreciate any comments / feedback. I have had a window today and the previous two days which I am very grateful for. I will hold until May & review how I am feeling.I am hoping by going at this pace I will not encounter the difficulties experienced by others taping from 5mg etc. It really is easy to run back to the doctor but if you hold the brain does settle, it does heal, it is healing I believe this.

I find the amount of medication people are prescribed on this website very worrying.I think I stopped going back to my G.P many years ago I go now only only twice a year for my 6 months prescription. I am lucky I can afford alternative treatment to sooth my distress e.g acupuncture, massage, Theta healing etc. I have taken a break from Psychotherapy. I feel much more abe to regulate my emotional state less and nervous energy I feel more grounded more confident , at times, but I have put on weight....I need to now to make healthier food choices & keep looking for a less stressful job.

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

Went hill walking today found it challenging but the intensive cardiovascular exercise seems to make me feel better. I went for a drink & some food so turned the day around. I'm now doing some reports for work next week I find helps ....when my mind is focused...it stops me over thinking strange....maybe that''s why I get more low at the weekends.... my mind is so busy with my job from Monday to Friday. Does anyone else experience the same thing?or do I have workaholic tendacies @#/$!&

Hi rose9975.

I feel your pain, its so tough but in the end I believe we become so strong.

I love that u say u hill walk ,I love to do this myself and I dread to think how sick ide be if I didn't have this outlet,in my opinion the single best thing to do for my sanity for so many reasons .

Just Friday gone I had a terrible depressive episode and at 4pm I forced myself up my local hills and was so therapeutic for me .

Take care  

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Hi Powerback, (love that name very positive)

Welcome to my page . Exercise particular stenuous exercise for me is one of my things that keeps me sane. On the road to recovery I feel I have to take responsibility for eating healthy, exercise, self-care etc which I struggle with.My Fiancée is into the hill walking so we support each other. Do you have a support person? It is amazing I reach a point during the walk where the brain is saying give up go back but the body is well able. I find it interesting to observe this voice.I am learning to separate from this voice...mindfulness. ..It has been called many names ego/internal critic/fear etc but it needs to be challenged it is not the truth ....the truth is I will feel amazing when I finish this...the truth is I am well able...the truth is it is harder in life to keep going when we want to return to our comfort zone/ conditioned self etc. I feel it is important that my partner & I enjoy & support each other in this domain. We bond so much & reconnect during this time together. ...we often argue heading up & reconcile heading down

Light & Love xx

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

Hi Powerback, (love that name very positive)

Welcome to my page . Exercise particular stenuous exercise for me is one of my things that keeps me sane. On the road to recovery I feel I have to take responsibility for eating healthy, exercise, self-care etc which I struggle with.My Fiancée is into the hill walking so we support each other. Do you have a support person? It is amazing I reach a point during the walk where the brain is saying give up go back but the body is well able. I find it interesting to observe this voice.I am learning to separate from this voice...mindfulness. ..It has been called many names ego/internal critic/fear etc but it needs to be challenged it is not the truth ....the truth is I will feel amazing when I finish this...the truth is I am well able...the truth is it is harder in life to keep going when we want to return to our comfort zone/ conditioned self etc. I feel it is important that my partner & I enjoy & support each other in this domain. We bond so much & reconnect during this time together. ...we often argue heading up & reconcile heading down

Light & Love xx

Hi ,ye I have a great partner she has been amazing with support and understanding even when its been very hard .

I agree with so much u have written ,mindfulness is a must .

U are very tuned in with the strenuous exercise ,I have been reading about high intensity exercise and its benefits .

A therapist told me, I had the strongest self critic they had come across ,I found this very interesting and correlate's with a lot of my story and history .I found it a very cathartic process.

I was out yesterday [out mostly on my own] and I was struggling with energy ,so I mentally transferred my  emotional pain going on in my system into my leg muscles and it works .

Take care and happy hill walking ,looks to be nice day going off myself soon  

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.